Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big thank you to those who’ve contributed to the post-ref

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    JackW said:

tyson said:

Nick P is an exceptionally kind,gentle and compassionate human being

Indeed so. But it doesn't mean he can't make a complete arse of himself from time to time.

I was a total ARSE on BRXIT. :smile:

Glad to see you are back on form. Was worried the unexpected piles* might have inflicted terminal problems on your ARSE....

* of Leave votes
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited June 2016

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

Lowlander said:

DavidL said:

I think the SNP have gamed this and know it is a completely non viable and unwinnable proposition. That is why they campaigned for remain. It made independence much easier than it is going to be now. So Nicola will want to ensure that the UK has single market access so an independent Scotland would have that access with rUK. Anything else is a non starter.

Your posts seem to be becoming more and more detached from reality. At the moment there is Ruth, Kezia (both apparently without much support from their parties) and you refusing to countenance a second referendum.

The process has already begun, it is very clear from Sturgeon's actions and words so far.
    Build a wall and Sturgeon will pay for it. Yeah.
    You may not know this. There is a wall already. The Romans built it. They were also Europeans.
    There's two of those. I think the Antonine Wall is probably a better border for an independent Scotland.

Scots north of the Antonine Wall can have a referendum. Scots south of the Antonine Wall are now living in northern England.

Make it so.

Edinburgh was an Anglo-Saxon city, correct?
    So you are advocating Partition?

Do we have any previous examples of the British state involving itself in Partition when a country departs?
    "The Brits partitioned MY country too, you know!"
    - Sunil prior to having his Tebbit Chip successfully implanted.
    Did you see Mr Tebbit on the telly the other day? That man has gotten old. Still got it though! :)
  • Options

https://twitter.com/jonmacqueen/status/74670625612827033......
    MISSING - George is 45 and hasn't been seen since Thursday when he was separated from his friends. Please help.

Brilliant
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/746710438843383808

We all backed a 2016 election at 16/1 months ago, I trust.

Those were indeed good odds but I think it is very unlikely that the new leader of the Tories will want an election. What if there were some buyers remorse in reality as opposed to the minds of the BBC and the far from united Tories faced a Labour party committed to remaining in? Just not worth the risk.
    I disagree. The Tory majority is too small to allow for effective government and its mandate in any case belongs to the outgoing incumbent. The new leader will need his (or her) own mandate for very changed circumstances. And, incidentally, it would flush out possible rebels.
    Given that Parliament will not reassemble following the party conferences until mid-October , it seems unlikely that any No Confidence Vote could be engineered before the second half of the month. Two weeks would then have to pass before a Dissolution occurs automatically which would imply that Polling Day could be the beginning of December. Would that be feasible or popular? I believe that the last December election was in 1918.
    There doesn't have to be a no confidence motion - an early election can be called under 2 (1-2) of the FTPA as well as 2 (3-5).
    It will be a tight squeeze to get a new PM in, then have an election in October.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,952
    JackW said:

tyson said:

Indeed so. But it doesn't mean he can't make a complete arse of himself from time to time.

Welcome back Jack, hope you're well recovered? We missed your EU ARSE last month!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,413

It look as if Michael Gove was telling the truth as regards not wanting to become Prime Minister - he's as big as 23 with Betfair.
    It's looking like a two horse race with Boris the odds-on favourite and Mrs May available at around 5/2. Personally I don't rate either of these two for the top job, so I'm tempted to have a good sprinkling of small bets on less fancied runners in the hope that someone at vastly greater odds might win.
    I seem to recall that at this stage of the proceedings last time, Cameron was still very much an outsider.

Is Hammond out? He's way off on BF at 170.
    He must be the most invisible Foreign Secretary in living memory. One might normally have expected him to have led the Government's so-called re-negotiations with the EU, which ended in such abject failure, costing Cameron his job when he chose to show off the Emperor's new clothes. I can't recall Hammond being anywhere to be seen at the time - Cameron seemed to be solely in charge. On past performance, I'll be very surprised if he even remains in the Cabinet. Anyway, it's high time we saw some new blood promoted, the Tories are suddenly looking very stale and tired.
    I agree. I think both Hammond and May chose their careers over their views and basically sat the referendum out rather than be disloyal to the PM. Such cowardice deserves no reward.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch

Douglas Carswell
    Brexit is going to be a process. It will be overseen by serious people, with a serious plan. Gove, Hannan, Grayling. https://t.co/wtmuXeBMzp

They shouldn't exclude Mr Farage. He and UKIP were a big part of getting and winning the referendum.
    They can exclude Farage (not a UKIP MP) and include Carswell (a UKIP MP) and include UKIP.
    They can. I don't think they should. The man deserves to be a part of the finish.

I am tempted to say that Farage should be sent to Brussels as Jonathan Hill's replacement just to encourage Brussels to settle the deal quickly and fairly.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    Jonathan said:
    Perhaps inspired by all the rhetoric about TRAITORS.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RobD said:

Can't be in and out at the same time ;)
    Somebody actually fancies her ?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

On Remain woes

" The campaign conducted more than 40 focus groups, which revealed the extent to which the erosion of public trust had led to cynicism about the raft of experts the remain camp produced to warn about Brexit. Some believed that Cameron and Osborne were also damaged by the fallout from the budget and the Panama Papers controversy about the tax affairs of the prime minister’s father.

One strategist said: “The public just said they lie and pull the wool over our eyes. I asked one woman to give me an example of these lies, and she said, ‘9/11’. The only people the public slightly trusted were Martin Lewis, Richard Branson and, on a good day, Mark Carney so long as he was not seen as a banker. We had a credibility problem, but so now does all public debate in the UK.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/senior-figures-in-remain-campaign-say-they-were-hobbled-by-number-10

The glorious legacy one Mr Anthony Blair and his henchman Ali Campbell.
    The longer the distance from Blair's term - the more I look back in horror at what he did.

- PCness
    - rubbing our faces in diversity
    - mass uncontrolled immigration
    - devolution
    - poisoning public trust over Iraq
    - explosion of political biased charities/NGOs
    - placemen across quangos
    - not standing up to Gordon
    - spin and government by press release

And that's just off the top of my head.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

EPG said:

EPG said:

Lowlander said:

DavidL said:

I think the SNP have gamed this and know it is a completely non viable and unwinnable proposition. That is why they campaigned for remain. It made independence much easier than it is going to be now. So Nicola will want to ensure that the UK has single market access so an independent Scotland would have that access with rUK. Anything else is a non starter.

Your posts seem to be becoming more and more detached from reality. At the moment there is Ruth, Kezia (both apparently without much support from their parties) and you refusing to countenance a second referendum.

The process has already begun, it is very clear from Sturgeon's actions and words so far.
    If Scotland would rather be a region of a federal EU subservient to Brussels rather than a country within the UK in partnership with London; rather use the euro than the pound; and rather be in the Schengen area than the CTA - then I wish them the very best.
    Outside the EU, Scotland will be subservient to parochial English who gave Cameron a majority because they were angried up about uppity Scots.
    The English quite rightly rejected the idea of a party that does not have the best interests of the UK at heart forming a key part of the government of the UK. The SNP is not Scotland.
    See? The English decide what is the UK interest. This is the very definition of subservience.
    Back to chippy shoulders.

you have a parliament, you can raise taxes you can decide what you spend it on.

most english people don't even think about scotland or care
    Now now Alan, most of our taxes still head to Westminster, never to return. Wasted by scoundrels.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    Out of interest, after Scotland leaves the UK, then UKIP will need a change of name.

Might I suggest Norsefire.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

tyson said:

Crosby 1 Arse 0
    Congratulations to Rod. I didn't see his initial or final numbers. Do you recall them?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    Wasn't there some postings on Twitter that he had G7 meetings during the day on Friday?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

Lowlander said:

DavidL said:

Build a wall and Sturgeon will pay for it. Yeah.
    You may not know this. There is a wall already. The Romans built it. They were also Europeans.
    There's two of those. I think the Antonine Wall is probably a better border for an independent Scotland.

Scots north of the Antonine Wall can have a referendum. Scots south of the Antonine Wall are now living in northern England.

Make it so.

Edinburgh was an Anglo-Saxon city, correct?
    So you are advocating Partition?

Do we have any previous examples of the British state involving itself in Partition when a country departs?
    "The Brits partitioned MY country too, you know!"
    - Sunil prior to having his Tebbit Chip successfully implanted.
    Did you see Mr Tebbit on the telly the other day? That man has gotten old. Still got it though! :)
    Yes. I still remember him being pulled out alive from Brighton bomb wreckage in 1984.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Seriously, she's even more awful every day

Soubry blames EU loss on 'white working class' who have 'probably never even seen a migrant' | Nottingham Post https://t.co/GTaepwbiLL wtf

I was wishing NickP won at GE2015 as I thought there was little policy difference and NickP is a nicer human being.
    If his gvt hadnt done the dirty on Treaty of Lisbon, we would not have had this referendum.
    Quite. This vote should never have happened. Because we should have been allowed a vote on prior Treaties, not the hideous binary choice of last week. And Nick P, no doubt a gallant and pleasant gentleman, was a gloating part of the government that denied us a vote on Lisbon

But we are where we are. What the fuck do we do now?

Surely we have to move swiftly to the EEA. Keeping Free Movement for now, and letting the voters decide on limiting immigration at the next election.
    Sean - the mood music from the Leave camp is row-back. Are they going to row-back to the status quo? No-one seems to know what to do? This is very serious...

The only one holding his nerve is Nigel Farage.
    ....I reckon we will see a classic fudge, where Britain hardly moves at all but just gets given a special name - some kind of "associate membership". EEA status with knobs on. We will still be in the single market, subject to the ECJ in economic terms. .....
    Apart, of course, from the British voters who want an end to migration. They will howl and vote UKIP, who will gain at the expense of Labour.
    It will be the Conservative party that IMHO is at risk from UKIP in those circumstances, as some Conservative voters of the circa 55% will defect to UKIP. My guess is at least 1/3.
  • Options

Lowlander said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland is now a nation with a separate culture and identity to England and Wales, I think an amicable separation is inevitable

Agreed. Scotland and England are now irreconcilable.
    As the poet Frost observed " Good fences make good neighbours ".
    It's Nicola's civic duty to start work on that wall.
    It's a good idea, it will keep a check on English refugees trying to get into Scotland. Of course England will have to pay for it.

Make Scotland Great Again.

After all, English refugees will have other options.

https://twitter.com/DanBilefsky/status/746396514788990976
    Municipal humour seldom works. Perhaps they should spend their funds on more worthy causes.
    Sense of humour bypass Monica
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch

Douglas Carswell
    Brexit is going to be a process. It will be overseen by serious people, with a serious plan. Gove, Hannan, Grayling. https://t.co/wtmuXeBMzp

They shouldn't exclude Mr Farage. He and UKIP were a big part of getting and winning the referendum.
    They can exclude Farage (not a UKIP MP) and include Carswell (a UKIP MP) and include UKIP.
    They can. I don't think they should. The man deserves to be a part of the finish.

I am tempted to say he should be sent to Brussels as Jonathan Hill's replacement just to encourage Brussels to settle the deal quickly and fairly.
    Now that would be class! :)

• Options

Lowlander said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland is now a nation with a separate culture and identity to England and Wales, I think an amicable separation is inevitable

Agreed. Scotland and England are now irreconcilable.
    As the poet Frost observed " Good fences make good neighbours ".
    It's Nicola's civic duty to start work on that wall.
    It's a good idea, it will keep a check on English refugees trying to get into Scotland. Of course England will have to pay for it.

Make Scotland Great Again.

After all, English refugees will have other options.

https://twitter.com/DanBilefsky/status/746396514788990976
    Municipal humour seldom works. Perhaps they should spend their funds on more worthy causes.
    Look on the bright side, Britons can still move to the sunshine...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

On Remain woes

" The campaign conducted more than 40 focus groups, which revealed the extent to which the erosion of public trust had led to cynicism about the raft of experts the remain camp produced to warn about Brexit. Some believed that Cameron and Osborne were also damaged by the fallout from the budget and the Panama Papers controversy about the tax affairs of the prime minister’s father.

One strategist said: “The public just said they lie and pull the wool over our eyes. I asked one woman to give me an example of these lies, and she said, ‘9/11’. The only people the public slightly trusted were Martin Lewis, Richard Branson and, on a good day, Mark Carney so long as he was not seen as a banker. We had a credibility problem, but so now does all public debate in the UK.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/senior-figures-in-remain-campaign-say-they-were-hobbled-by-number-10

The longer the distance from Blair's term - the more I look back in horror at what he did.

- PCness
    - devolution
    - spin and government by press release

And that's just off the top of my head.
    "devolution"
    holy god they think they should rule foreigners while also not wanting foreigners to be seen or heard
  • Options
    Jonathan said:
    Geordie v Mackem tensions reach a new flashpoint....
  • Options
    glw said:

Hard-working Brexiteers 1

EU subsidy junkies 0

(only kidding!)

And don't forget that England beat the Aussies earlier. Brexit is bringing great rewards already.
    And the cricket yesterday as well. An astonishing performance.
  • Options
    TimTim Posts: 44

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Soubry blames EU loss on 'white working class' who have 'probably never even seen a migrant' | Nottingham Post https://t.co/GTaepwbiLL wtf

I was wishing NickP won at GE2015 as I thought there was little policy difference and NickP is a nicer human being.
    If his gvt hadnt done the dirty on Treaty of Lisbon, we would not have had this referendum.
    Among other things, because without the Treaty of Lisbon it would be impossible to withdraw frtom the EU. Article 50 was the first to allow it.
    Um, really?

Before Lisbon there was no procedure as such but withdrawal was possible, in theory and practice (as Greenland showed). If nothing else, we could have (and arguably still can) simply repeal the European Communities Act.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    JackW said:

JackW said:

tyson said:

Crosby 1 Arse 0
    Congratulations to Rod. I didn't see his initial or final numbers. Do you recall them?
    Welcome back, Jack, hope all is well

Maybe ARSE can now stand for Annoying Remainers Sulking about Europe?

:lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    RobD said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Among other things, because without the Treaty of Lisbon it weould be impossible to withdraw frtom the EU. Article 50 was thre first to allow it.

And you're telling me that people wouldn't be bothered about unlimited immigration and real or imagined sins of Brussels if only they'd had a vote on whether to have full EU plus Lisbon vs full EU minus Lisbon? Verily, you reside on another, possibly more intellectual, planet.
    We could have left if we had wanted to pre-Lisbon.
    We can leave at any by simply repealing the European Communities Act 1972. That would have the effect of removing any sovereignty the ECJ has over the UK.

*However*, that would leave a lot of things in legal limbo, in particular around double taxation.

For this reason, I think Article 50 is the right way to go.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:
    That's grim. But it's not like Britain was devoid of right wing nutters before Brexit.
    I fear it's going to get worse before it gets better.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Quite. This vote should never have happened. Because we should have been allowed a vote on prior Treaties, not the hideous binary choice of last week. And Nick P, no doubt a gallant and pleasant gentleman, was a gloating part of the government that denied us a vote on Lisbon

Surely we have to move swiftly to the EEA. Keeping Free Movement for now, and letting the voters decide on limiting immigration at the next election.
    Sean - the mood music from the Leave camp is row-back. Are they going to row-back to the status quo? No-one seems to know what to do? This is very serious...

They're calling it Regrexit: the Buyer's Remorse of the LEAVE camp.

I reckon we will see a classic fudge, where Britain hardly moves at all but just gets given a special name - some kind of "associate membership". EEA status with knobs on. We will still be in the single market, subject to the ECJ in economic terms. We will be outside CAP and CFP.

There will be lots of bluster but this will suit everyone, in the end,

Apart, of course, from the British voters who want an end to migration. They will howl and vote UKIP, who will gain at the expense of Labour.
    Oh yes were on for a classic British fudge.

Well stay in the single market, chip in something to the EU budget, get some controls over immigration ( mostl likely de facto through control of the benefits system ) but be guaranteed out of ever closer Union. And Scotland won't know what to do since it only wants the EU menu a la carte itself.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tyson said:

Jack, I hope you are feeling better. Did you have any feeling that Remain might be in trouble in last few weeks?
    Thank you yes but I'm getting used to a pretty secretary PBing for me. :smiley:

"In trouble". Frankly not tight enough for a squeeky REMAIN bum. My mistake was not taking sufficient account for WWC BREXIT turnout. My ARSE would have finished around 52/48 on a 68% turnout. Out by 4 points all round.

Interesting, that does seem to be what did it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    SeanT said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

I reckon we will see a classic fudge, where Britain hardly moves at all but just gets given a special name - some kind of "associate membership". EEA status with knobs on. We will still be in the single market, subject to the ECJ in economic terms. We will be outside CAP and CFP.

You are probably broadly correct that the new world will look much like the old, but I am not sure we can opt out of CFP without having to buy back quotas from Spanish fleets, or what the point would be since we don't have much of a fishing industry left.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Spoken like a traitor. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    JackW said:

JackW said:

tyson said:

Crosby 1 Arse 0
    He didn't call it either way, but did vote out.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370

PlatoSaid said:

Thanks! Without commenting on Anna, Broxtowe has never had an MP who wasn't a full-on Europhile. My predecessor Jim Lester, who had held the seat for 23 years since it was created, was so pro-EU that the Times endorsed me by name as the less Europhile candidate. (I'm not sure they'd actually checked me out or they might have thought twice.)

You can see this as an illustration of the limits of FPTP. With an open list system, people could choose not just the party but the preferred candidate within the party, e.g. a Eurosceptic Labour MP.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    Tim said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Among other things, because without the Treaty of Lisbon it would be impossible to withdraw frtom the EU. Article 50 was the first to allow it.
    Um, really?

Before Lisbon there was no procedure as such but withdrawal was possible, in theory and practice (as Greenland showed). If nothing else, we could have (and arguably still can) simply repeal the European Communities Act.
    What trade restrictions exist between Greenland and the rest of the Kingdom of Denmark?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2016
    Lowlander said:

Out of interest, after Scotland leaves the UK, then UKIP will need a change of name.

Might I suggest Norsefire.

Since UKIP has already achieved UK independence they have more pressing nomative issues than Scotland's political problems.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    malcolmg said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

Lowlander said:

DavidL said:

If Scotland would rather be a region of a federal EU subservient to Brussels rather than a country within the UK in partnership with London; rather use the euro than the pound; and rather be in the Schengen area than the CTA - then I wish them the very best.
    Outside the EU, Scotland will be subservient to parochial English who gave Cameron a majority because they were angried up about uppity Scots.
    The English quite rightly rejected the idea of a party that does not have the best interests of the UK at heart forming a key part of the government of the UK. The SNP is not Scotland.
    See? The English decide what is the UK interest. This is the very definition of subservience.

Now now Alan, most of our taxes still head to Westminster, never to return. Wasted by scoundrels.
    why do think scottish politicians wouldn't waste it?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Lowlander said:

I have a question about online betting.

After Wales scored, my NI Outright never got locked out or changed its cash out value, allowing me to book a profit I had been hee-hawing about taking the last few days.

Is this standard practice or just a quirk with this particular bet? Do tournament odds tend not to change during individual games?

Good question. I'm tempted to green up on the basis of my bet on Wales @75 which would leave my best results as Germany and Spain.
  • Options
    I'll be sending off my £25 to renew my Tory membership tomorrow. The leadership election is worth every penny.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    The most important post you will read today is @SeanT's post above. #Regrexit is now the thing. SeanT has it. Your children have it. The country has it.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    SeanT said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Yep, those who have to suffer the horrors of Bulgarian neighbours will be furious
  • Options
    I'm a long time lurker and merely a bit part bettor, but I've made a small donation to this excellent website after a small win on Thursday.

I've also decided to post on occasion now the temperature is lower post-referendum, especially as we are in a fascinating political period. I'm an Independent councillor - Conservative minded - but currently something of a party political orphan - hence the moniker.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

PlatoSaid said:

Thanks! Without commenting on Anna, Broxtowe has never had an MP who wasn't a full-on Europhile. My predecessor Jim Lester, who had held the seat for 23 years since it was created, was so pro-EU that the Times endorsed me by name as the less Europhile candidate. (I'm not sure they'd actually checked me out or they might have thought twice.)

You can see this as an illustration of the limits of FPTP. With an open list system, people could choose not just the party but the preferred candidate within the party, e.g. a Eurosceptic Labour MP.
    Some of the stories coming out about Corbyn are pretty shameful, what do you reckon?
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Well, I do not normally comment, but....
    I am very disappointed by the result,my children are "Gutted".
    My Son is a Civil Engineer with a major construction Co, and there were many projects and tenders on hold, now on a very long hold. Recession beckons.
    The country are now horribly divided, the 2 main parties are divided, the Leavers have no clue what to do now. Boris is now faced with what to do, I think he wanted to be a Valiant loser, and then sweep in to number 10.
    I used to be a Boris fan, but he has used this referendum for his own ends,regardless of the damage.
    OK mark me down as a sad loser,time will tell who was right.
    Just for the record,I am a pensioner, I have 2 degrees, I ran my own business with 100 employees, sold out to a multi national and worked everywhere after the sale.
    Finally, I do not know where in future I can vote, neither of the 2 main parties inspire.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wasn't there some postings on Twitter that he had G7 meetings during the day on Friday?
    LOL
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    PlatoSaid said:

Soubry is bitter that her political career is now over. She should just crawl back under the rock she emerged from.
  • Options
    nunu said:

malcolmg said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

Lowlander said:

DavidL said:

why do think scottish politicians wouldn't waste it?
    they may well but at least we could dump them
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:
    That's grim. But it's not like Britain was devoid of right wing nutters before Brexit.
    it says NF in the corner...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Jobabob said:

The most important post you will read today is @SeanT's post above. #Regrexit is now the thing. SeanT has it. Your children have it. The country has it.

youre back to believing what you read on the internet.

London isnt the UK
  • Options

I'm a long time lurker and merely a bit part bettor, but I've made a small donation to this excellent website after a small win on Thursday.

I've also decided to post on occasion now the temperature is lower post-referendum, especially as we are in a fascinating political period. I'm an Independent councillor - Conservative minded - but currently something of a party political orphan - hence the moniker.

Welcome aboard Mr Orphan. You're in fine company. Look forward to reading your thoughts.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

LOL
    By GO himself. My point being he has been heard from.
  • Options

Welcome to PB :)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

On Remain woes

- PCness
    - devolution
    - spin and government by press release ................
    Now if only Chilcott finished off Blair as a public figure under a ton of smelly stuff. Impeachment would be a nice bonus!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Lowlander said:

Tim said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Um, really?

What trade restrictions exist between Greenland and the rest of the Kingdom of Denmark?
    Er, what trade exists between Greenland the rest of the Kingdom of Denmark? Four walrus tusks and a bag of ice?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/jonmacqueen/status/74670625612827033......
    MISSING - George is 45 and hasn't been seen since Thursday when he was separated from his friends. Please help.

Brilliant
    Has Camerron told him he's about to dump him in a re-shuffle next week and George has gone into a mega sulk - I can't think of any other logical explanation.
  • Options

Welcome. I think more of us are going to feel like political orphans in the next year than ever before.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370
    Tim said:

Um, really?

Yes, and it's still possible, but it has never been seriously mooted in practice, because the effect would be to remove us, cold turkey (sic), from the single market with no special arrangements whatever.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

JackW said:

tyson said:

Crosby 1 Arse 0
    Thanks Dr Fox.

Perhaps we'll consult over a dram or several one day. After all I do seem to have meet most of the British medical profession and their assorted kit in recent years. :smiley:
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Soubry is bitter that her political career is now over. She should just crawl back under the rock she emerged from.
    An opportunity for Nick Palmer for the forthcoming election maybe?

Soubry has lost all credibility in the past few weeks, if the local Conservatives have any sense they'll deselect her before they lose the seat back to Labour.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Can't be in and out at the same time ;)
    Somebody actually fancies her ?
    That's uncalled for.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,506
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

Some of the stories coming out about Corbyn are pretty shameful, what do you reckon?
    I reckon maybe Mr Palmer and his colleagues should have kept their promise to introduce a fair voting system, when they had the chance. Being favour of fairness only when in opposition is of no use to anyone.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

Those were indeed good odds but I think it is very unlikely that the new leader of the Tories will want an election. What if there were some buyers remorse in reality as opposed to the minds of the BBC and the far from united Tories faced a Labour party committed to remaining in? Just not worth the risk.
    I disagree. The Tory majority is too small to allow for effective government and its mandate in any case belongs to the outgoing incumbent. The new leader will need his (or her) own mandate for very changed circumstances. And, incidentally, it would flush out possible rebels.
    Given that Parliament will not reassemble following the party conferences until mid-October , it seems unlikely that any No Confidence Vote could be engineered before the second half of the month. Two weeks would then have to pass before a Dissolution occurs automatically which would imply that Polling Day could be the beginning of December. Would that be feasible or popular? I believe that the last December election was in 1918.
    There doesn't have to be a no confidence motion - an early election can be called under 2 (1-2) of the FTPA as well as 2 (3-5).
    But that would require the Opposition to back such a move. If the polls are not encoraging such support will not be forthcoming.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Tim said:

Um, really?

Yes, and it's still possible, but it has never been seriously mooted in practice, because the effect would be to remove us, cold turkey (sic), from the single market with no special arrangements whatever.
    You don't think there would have been a period of negotiation before hand? In any case, you are wrong to say leaving the EU was impossible pre-Lisbon. The only difference is it now has a formal structure.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I thought Mark Carney had kidnapped him and was holding him in the basement of the BoE to stop him saying something stupid that would add to the markets' troubles. Maybe he'll be let out at lunchtime on Monday if the markets have stabilised.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,182

SeanT said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

....I reckon we will see a classic fudge, where Britain hardly moves at all but just gets given a special name - some kind of "associate membership". EEA status with knobs on. We will still be in the single market, subject to the ECJ in economic terms. .....
    It will be the Conservative party that IMHO is at risk from UKIP in those circumstances, as some Conservative voters of the circa 55% will defect to UKIP. My guess is at least 1/3.
    Agreed
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:
    They'll be same ex-BNP types that have had the same protests for years - just that this weekend some of the media will be trying to pin them to the whole Leave campaign.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

tyson said:

Crosby 1 Arse 0
    Thanks Dr Fox.

Perhaps we'll consult over a dram or several one day. After all I do seem to have meet most of the British medical profession and their assorted kit in recent years. :smiley:
    Good to see you posting again Jack, just don't overdo it - you are after all 109yrs and 5 months by my reckoning.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

And you're telling me that people wouldn't be bothered about unlimited immigration and real or imagined sins of Brussels if only they'd had a vote on whether to have full EU plus Lisbon vs full EU minus Lisbon? Verily, you reside on another, possibly more intellectual, planet.
    Actually yes. There's back story to this. The Labour manifesto of 2005 promised a referendum on the European Constitution. The constitution was roundly kicked into touch across the continent before it came to us. EU went back to drawing board and came up with a softer "tidying up exercise" called the Treaty of Lisbon.

The government decided that a referendum was not needed. In 2007 when Gordon Brown took over as PM, he allowed rumours of an early snap election to be spread. At this point Cameron offered a "cast iron guarantee that he would hold a referendum on the lisbon treaty.

Unfortunately the election was not called, Brown signed the treaty without a referendum, it was then subsequently ratified across the other member states.

Cameron was in the humiliating position of having to backtrack as once treaty in place, you cant have a referendum on it, just whether or not you leave.

At this point on this forum, you sniggered, you laughed about how Cameron had taken the blame for a treaty that would never have got passed.

That is the source of this referendum.

Congratulations, you're not laughing now as your beloved project is teetering on demise.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

But that would require the Opposition to back such a move. If the polls are not encoraging such support will not be forthcoming.
    Surely the Oppsotition are always in favour of an election? They are supposed to be the government in waiting after all.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

Surely the Oppsotition are always in favour of an election? They are supposed to be the government in waiting after all.
    Not if they are behind in the polls and fancy their prospects might improve with delay!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

True, but they have been legitimised by the vote.

This is what many people though they were voting for.

EDIT: Which is why your "free movement, then election" plan is doomed. These people would riot.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2016

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Whatever the Lisbon treaty did or did not say, Brown was a SHIT for not allowing a vote on it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,506
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Agreed
    I'd like to agree, but why would they? The Tories will by then be led by a Brexit leader (or May, who sat on the fence) and will be charged with taking the UK out of Europe.

More likely a smaller proportion of remainer Tories will be looking for a new home, with the LibDems or Greens?
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

tyson said:

Crosby 1 Arse 0
    Thanks Dr Fox.

I hope my colleagues are treating your ARSE with the care it deserves!

I recall that Rod was reluctant to call it either way because of the paucity of past data to go on, but did suggest that Leave was likely.

Best wishes
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SeanT said:

notme said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Keep in free movement? Are you fucking shitting me. Have you listened at all to why people vote no clear the EU?

I'll give Leavers on here a hint I they think it will be politics as usual with Brian signed up to a union ofbEuropean countries and unlimited migration you are completely radio rental.

It was a referendum about immigration.

I mean don't get me wrong I have 10 euros on UKIP most seats at 500/1 that will benefit me greatly but you people are in cloud cuckoo land if you think the 17million people who voted to LEAVE the European Union will just sit back and take a transparent stitch up without complaint.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    John_N4 said:

John_N4 said:

I am not at all sure that there would be a majority for Yes in a second indyref. Not all in Scotland who voted for Remain would vote Yes.

How did your various estimates of the Scottish Brexit vote go?
    I was surprised by the strength of support for Remain. And very surprised that Remain won in the Western Isles.
    Shame you never responded to my wager offer.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:
    They'll be same ex-BNP types that have had the same protests for years - just that this weekend some of the media will be trying to pin them to the whole Leave campaign.
    Yep. We're in for 3 months of awfulnazieconomiccollapsescotlandleaving Britain to try and scare the plebs into accepting, nay BEGGING for this result to be overturned. Demonstrative of how mucky the Augean stables were in the first place.
  • Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91

It may have been posted earlier, but I hadn't seen this interview with Jean-Claude Juncker:

http://www.businessinsider.com/jean-claude-juncker-interview-brexit-2016-6?IR=T

It may have been posted earlier, but I hadn't seen this interview with Jean-Claude Juncker:

http://www.businessinsider.com/jean-claude-juncker-interview-brexit-2016-6?IR=T

He really comes across as a conceited little fool in this.

This bit is delicious, when he warns against blaming others rather than oneself - and then blames everyone but himself!

"With hindsight, it is always easy to blame everyone else. The usual reflex is for the finger to be pointed at Brussels. Yet in this case, that is completely wrong: the referendum was called by the British Prime Minister and not by the European Parliament, the Commission or the European Council."
This discussion has been closed.