Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big thank you to those who’ve contributed to the post-ref

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big thank you to those who’ve contributed to the post-referendum appeal to help keep PB going

It has become something of a PB tradition after big elections for an appeal to be made for funds to help keep the site going. This year we’ve been fortunate to have had a robust enough technical infrastructure to deal with the massive traffic that was being generated. Alas this requires a lot of effort (thank you to my son Robert) and costs money. Quite a few other sites fell over at times.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First .... again!
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    I love the pic, Mike.

Wish I could read all the posters!
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited June 2016
    1.6 million people have now signed the petition for another EU referendum. If you keep refreshing the page, you can see just how fast the number of signatories is rising. It seems to be going up at about 400 every 10 seconds, at the time of my writing this. The person who was rude to me in the other thread may have been sticking his tongue out at the idea that there could be 10 or 20 million signatures, but...we'll see.

Everyone's saying "wait to see what will happen", but the story of the next 1-2 years seems to be likely to be the big rise of a muscled far right. Unlike many on here, I follow morale and politics in the British army, and I can tell you that the army was around 80% pro-Brexit and that many believe that the war in Afghanistan and Iraq and Syria will soon spread to the streets of Britain. For the first time in my life, I am in favour of left-and-centre popular front.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    On the football just now -

Commentator "Arsenal paid 30 million for him"
    Lawrenson "Sterling?"
    Commentator "Doesn't matter now"
  • Options
    " It also threw up something I had not known before – the family of my mother’s foster mother were Conservative activists in Burnley"

Mike - So it wasn't all claret, there was some true blue in the Smithson family as well!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Just had another thought, British teams now have less purchasing power compared to their European rivals.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    Lowlander said:

On the football just now -

Commentator "Arsenal paid 30 million for him"
    Lawrenson "Sterling?"
    Commentator "Doesn't matter now"

Commentator is Jonathan Pierce (of Robot Wars fame)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Mike, the site is invaluable. Thursday night on here far surpassed the traditional media for the coverage, below the line as well as above the line.

Like most bettors on here, I made a large sum of money on Thursday night thanks to this.

A special thanks to @AndyJS for his spreadsheet. It was gold dust.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    John_N4 said:

1.6 million people have now signed the petition for another EU referendum. If you keep refreshing the page, you can see just how fast the number of signatories is rising.

When's Jeremy Clarkson back on Top Gear?
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    John_N4 said:

1.6 million people have now signed the petition for another EU referendum. If you keep refreshing the page, you can see just how fast the number of signatories is rising.

I signed it three times myself.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    John_N4 said:

And they are all wasting their time. Apart from anything else the wording of the petition is 'if the vote share is less than 60%' and so the petition would only have been valid before the vote.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2016
    John_N4 said:

Once in a generation kind of thing They'll have to be patient.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    John_N4 said:

remain lost with absolutely everything in its favour. Civil service, organs of state, sitting prime minister, all major political parties.

Get over it.

As for the anti-johnson stuff, jeez. He and Gove got millions to vote for their vision in parts of Britain where tory is a four letter word. On scant resources.

If that's not electoral success, FFS I don;t know what is
  • Options
    Still in full on campaigning mode for Remain....
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Switzerland just put an amazing goal.
  • Options
    Tyrion Lannister just scored the goal of the tournament.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    John_N4 said:

Rather pointless. The only way that we won't actually Leave is for Boris/Gove to change their minds. It wouldn't be unprecedented for Boris to change his mind.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    Wow. Goal of the tournament.
  • Options
    None of the apocalyptic things warned of by remain have come to pass.

Why on earth should we listen to you now?

What a bunch of babies.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    The Moggster really is superb on constitutional issues - and ultra polite plain speaking.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Welcome to Little England

@C4Ciaran: Man's t-shirt reads "Welcome to Britain now fit in or f*ck off". Tells me he's got his "country back."
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    What a goal.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

There's this too... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36629978 but at least it's just vox-pops rather than editorialised like that other one was.

I quite enjoyed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36629976 though :-) Love the arrogance of the metropolitan London lefty types... "Wales and the North, that's us!!" But it isn't you. You might vote the same way sometimes, but they really aren't you.
  • Options
    taffys said:

What a bunch of babies.

You mean I wasted all morning digging the bomb shelter? I was told WWIII would start if we lef t the EU.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Speedy said:

Not watching, what did he do?
  • Options
    Fantastic goal from non-EU Switzerland - goal of the tournament so far!

1-1 against Poland.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

What a goal.

I'm starting a petition that it should count 2 - it was that good
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited June 2016
    taffys said:

John_N4 said:

remain lost with absolutely everything in its favour. Civil service, organs of state, sitting prime minister, all major political parties.

Get over it.

As for the anti-johnson stuff, jeez. He and Gove got millions to vote for their vision in parts of Britain where tory is a four letter word. On scant resources.

If that's not electoral success, FFS I don;t know what is
    Of course it was: this call for a second referendum is as risible as it is grotesque.

It is now up to Johnson, Gove and the new insurgent majority to deliver.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Enter Shaqiri

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    taffys said:

What a bunch of babies.

And much of the instability has come from Cameron resigning - which he promised he wouldn't.
  • Options
    taffys said:

yet...

• Options

taffys said:

What a bunch of babies.

You mean I wasted all morning digging the bomb shelter? I was told WWIII would start if we lef t the EU.
    I got myself vaccinated againt Ebola and the plague.
  • Options

To be fair, they covered Romford before and are now following up. The bit I saw was about a family of fishmongers who were all voting Leave.
    The Beeb are pretty unbiased, maybe it's you that isn't?
  • Options

I was told WWIII would start if we lef t the EU.

Who told you that?
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    taffys said:

What a bunch of babies.

How can you possibly know that's true. I hope you're right but it's just a tad early for such confidence don't you think?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    We had all this stuff after the GE, with people pushing this "The Tories didn't really win" stuff. Of course the same people weren't so upset when Labour won on even less vote share and only because of Scotland.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

The Moggster really is superb on constitutional issues - and ultra polite plain speaking.

Rees-Mogg for PM!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Welcome to Little England

@C4Ciaran: Man's t-shirt reads "Welcome to Britain now fit in or f*ck off". Tells me he's got his "country back."

Little Scotland for Indyref2?
  • Options
    midwinter said:

it's just a tad early for such confidence don't you think?

Hubris has never been in short supply amongst the Brexiteers
  • Options

Speedy said:

Not watching, what did he do?
    Bicycle kick from the edge of the box.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Enter Shaqiri

Watching Glastonbury or the footy?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    - Article 50.2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention.

Tuesday's European Council meeting, imagined:
    "So, Mr Cameron, has the UK decided to withdraw from the European Union?"
    "Ermm... I am not permitted to say"
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Rather pointless. The only way that we won't actually Leave is for Boris/Gove to change their minds. It wouldn't be unprecedented for Boris to change his mind.
    Only "rather" pointless? :) Things kind of change when it gets to 10 or 20 million. Many who voted Leave are very annoyed about (having believed) Nigel Farage's lie about redirecting £350m per day from the EU to the NHS; and the point shouldn't be pooh-poohed that many voted Leave as a protest vote and didn't believe Leave would win. I know what this indicates about them, but still if millions feel tricked or misled then that is of political significance.

When I have spoken to my No-and-Leave-voting neighbour, I will report back here.
  • Options

We had all this stuff after the GE, with people pushing this "The Tories didn't really win" stuff.

Good comparison.
    Illegal overspending by the Tories at the GE, £350million/week to NHS 'mistake' by Leave.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/nigel-farage-350-million-pledge-to-fund-the-nhs-was-a-mistake/
  • Options
    taffys said:

What a bunch of babies.

True the stockmarket only fell 2%, and that's the only thing that actually has happened so far apart from Cameron stepping down.
    Most Labour voters on hearing him resigning where in this mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8hvxcDebg
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Just had another thought, British teams now have less purchasing power compared to their European rivals.

Five year trading range for pound vs Euro = 1.105-1.441
    Trading range 2014 = 1.205-1.287
    GDP Growth 2014 = 2.8%

Current price = 1.23

End of the world? Obviously
  • Options
    Do we know which areas had lowest turn-out?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

it's just a tad early for such confidence don't you think?

Hubris has never been in short supply amongst the Brexiteers
    Will it be nemesis for the many?
  • Options

Well if Cameron will let him, Mr John O. Already they are backing anybody to prevent Johnson delivering on his vision.

Theresa May deliberately sat out the whole campaign to feast on its entrails, like a political vulture. That's what Cameron wants? Get lost, mate.
  • Options
    Even the Cyber BritNats are now considering Yes.

https://twitter.com/snpwatch/status/746629773451984896
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,504

John_N4 said:

The map that goes with it is a handy way of finding out where the students are.
  • Options

What a goal.

I was thinking that if an EU player can score a goal like that maybe we made a mistake leaving after all....
  • Options
    EPG said:

- Article 50.2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention.

Article 50.1: "1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements."

He's well within his rights to say that the government is unable to accept or reject the advice of the electorate until his successor is appointed by the Queen.
  • Options
    How do I get my country back from these fckwits?

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/746702395556630532
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

PlatoSaid said:

Rees-Mogg for PM!
    That would be a nice little earner for Foxy!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    taffys said:

Well if Cameron will let him, Mr John O. Already they are backing anybody to prevent Johnson delivering on his vision.

Theresa May deliberately sat out the whole campaign to feast on its entrails, like a political vulture. That's what Cameron wants? Get lost, mate.

Not up to Cameron though, is it? He's now a busted flush and won't carry much weight with Tory MPs who will choose the two candidates for the membership to decide.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

GDP Growth 2014 = 2.8%

Current price = 1.23

These short-run gyrations don't really matter, as I posted earlier. If the £ stays that low, it's another matter.

However you're cheating a little in using the GBP/EUR, since both currencies were hit on Friday. GBP/USD is the better yardstick.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Belfast West, 49% Turnout, 74% Remain.

Remain areas had the lowest turnouts in the country.
    Not many people are passionate about staying in the EU.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

were the only ones under 60%.

[Edit: the Electoral Commission got its CSV results file very quickly.]
  • Options

EPG said:

Article 50.1: "1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements."

He's well within his rights to say that the government is unable to accept or reject the advice of the electorate until his successor is appointed by the Queen.
    He isn't even, because he said before the referendum that he would be able to accept the advice.
  • Options
    .@kezdugdale says "Tories have put the future of the UK in danger" & @scottishlabour will "consider all options...in a democratic fashion"

That was quick.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What a goal.

I was thinking that if an EU player can score a goal like that maybe we made a mistake leaving after all....
    It was Switzerland, not Poland.
  • Options

To be fair, they covered Romford before and are now following up. The bit I saw was about a family of fishmongers who were all voting Leave.
    The Beeb are pretty unbiased, maybe it's you that isn't?
    The video is clearly editorialised to show the remain supporter as compassionate and personally threatened (leaving the EU means that the life of her disabled son is in danger - how can she cope with that in a town that's 70% leave? She'll just have to keep fighting harder, bless her), and the out supporters as thick, probably racist, idiots.

Which may well be accurate, but I'd have preferred to have been granted the privilege of making my own determination.
  • Options
    EPG said:

We will give notice when we are ready to do so might be a better answer but hey.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Glasgow was 56% IIRC.
  • Options
    @lbcbreaking: Police investigating after hateful notes were posted through letterboxes of Polish residents in Cambridgeshire following the Brexit vote.
  • Options

EPG said:

Technical Q: does this actually require a vote in Parliament? If so just the Commons, or both Houses? Or can the PM just send it himself? (or herself)?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

Thanks to you and @Speedy
  • Options

DavidL said:

What a goal.

It was Switzerland, not Poland.
    Oh well, I voted the right way after all then!
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    taffys said:

What proof do you have that Cameron is trying to fix his successor?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

How do I get my country back from these fckwits?

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/746702395556630532

Report him to the police like a good SJW?
  • Options
    @PCollinsTimes: When you do think the first "buyer's remorse" opinion poll will be? I give it a week and I think it could be large.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

Newham was actually less REMAIN (53%) than Redbridge (54%).
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Scott_P said:

@lbcbreaking: Police investigating after hateful notes were posted through letterboxes of Polish residents in Cambridgeshire following the Brexit vote.

It'll be fascinating to discover their origin. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PCollinsTimes: When you do think the first "buyer's remorse" opinion poll will be? I give it a week and I think it could be large.

Yougov did one this morning.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    IanB2 said:

MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

GDP Growth 2014 = 2.8%

Current price = 1.23

These short-run gyrations don't really matter, as I posted earlier. If the £ stays that low, it's another matter.

However you're cheating a little in using the GBP/EUR, since both currencies were hit on Friday. GBP/USD is the better yardstick.
    Fine, but having lived through the 1980s when people were talking about 1:1 vs the dollar, I still find a trading range of $1.20-$1.30 (which I would also expect to be a transitory if prolonged dip) to be hardly armageddon.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

EPG said:

We will give notice when we are ready to do so might be a better answer but hey.
    It's not about giving notice, it is about deciding. It does not say that a country decides, then gets to put on Game of Thrones and pretend nothing has happened. If Cameron does not say that the UK has decided to withdraw from the EU, this will be an outcome of the meeting which other EU heads of government will be quite happy to rebroadcast.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

What you mean that one which showed a 10% lead for Remain on the day wasn't one of them? Why anybody is giving pollsters even more money I have no idea, especially not YouGov.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    FTSE 100 loaded with non-GBP earners (so falling currency helps their P&L) is a false proxy for UK economy going forward. The Mid-cap and small caps will be what I'm watching.

The latter was down 3% on Friday but the FTSE 250 down 7.2%.

1-day trading tells us nothing much yet (just unwinding the wrong Remain rally), this next week I'll be happy if we avoid further large falls but I'm holding my breath for now.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

John_N4 said:

Only "rather" pointless? :) Things kind of change when it gets to 10 or 20 million. Many who voted Leave are very annoyed about (having believed) Nigel Farage's lie about redirecting £350m per day from the EU to the NHS; and the point shouldn't be pooh-poohed that many voted Leave as a protest vote and didn't believe Leave would win. I know what this indicates about them, but still if millions feel tricked or misled then that is of political significance.

When I have spoken to my No-and-Leave-voting neighbour, I will report back here.
    Democracy is rather messy.
    Many voted Tory because they didn't want a Miliband/SNP government, which seems to be the accepted reason that the Tories got a majority. It may be the case that some Leave voters voted for the reasons you stated and are regretting it now.
    I'm afraid that it's tough, we have decided by a 3.8% majority to Leave and only Boris can save us now.
    However, I'll reconsider when it reaches 10 million ;-) !
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Yougov did one this morning.
    Are they still predicting a Remain vote?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the man who thought that a kamikaze was a Japanese toilet, Scott P!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not really true - there's not much correlation here between turnout (X axis) and Leave percentage (Y axis):

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    EPG said:

Cameron said: "Yes the UK has decided to Leave the EU. When we have finished our political procedures to elect another Leader we will formally advise you of our wish to leave. Democracy takes time to execute properly - we don't like being bossed by unelected officials".

• Options
    EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

It's not about giving notice, it is about deciding. It does not say that a country decides, then gets to put on Game of Thrones and pretend nothing has happened. If Cameron does not say that the UK has decided to withdraw from the EU, this will be an outcome of the meeting which other EU heads of government will be quite happy to rebroadcast.
    The decision about when to implement the advisory referendum is a matter for the UK government. What do you think that they can do about it?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

John_N4 said:

And they are all wasting their time. Apart from anything else the wording of the petition is 'if the vote share is less than 60%' and so the petition would only have been valid before the vote.
    Yes, but the vast majority of people have signed since the result, and it may be hard for the government to say to the faces of 20 million people "sorry, your petition is invalid because it's out of time". It's a shame that unlike at change.org there isn't a facility at the parliamentary petition website to post updates etc.

On another issue: Donald Trump's response to the result was lower-key than I expected, and it hasn't done anything for him at Betfair.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Vote.Leave will agree to drop its promise to spend more on the NHS in return for Leave.EU dropping its promise to stop immigration
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    John_N4 said:

TudorRose said:

John_N4 said:

Yes, but the vast majority of people have signed since the result, and it may be hard for the government to say to the faces of 20 million people "sorry, your petition is invalid because it's out of time". It's a shame that unlike at change.org there isn't a facility at the parliamentary petition website to post updates etc.

On another issue: Donald Trump's response to the result was lower-key than I expected, and it hasn't done anything for him at Betfair.
    But any old tom, dick or harry can sign though. Don't even need to be eligible to vote or in the UK.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

Newham was actually less REMAIN (53%) than Redbridge (54%).
    Percentage of eligible voters who voted Leave:

Gibraltar 3.4%
    Hackney 14.0%
    Lambeth 14.4%
    Camden 16.4%
    Haringey 17.3%
    [...]
    East Lindsey 52.9%
    Havering 53.0%
    Castle Point 54.8%
    South Holland 55.5%
    Boston 58.4%
  • Options
    perdix said:

EPG said:

Cameron said: "Yes the UK has decided to Leave the EU. When we have finished our political procedures to elect another Leader we will formally advise you of our wish to leave. Democracy takes time to execute properly - we don't like being bossed by unelected officials".

First of all, the European Council comprises the elected heads of government. This ignorance about the EU is really despairing, and it is the media's fault for being more interested in demonising Europe over the last 30 years rather than reporting about it, that so many educated people can think the Council is an unelected bureaucracy. Fortunately, British being ill-informed about Europe won't be a problem any more.

Article 50 is not about formally advising anybody. There is no kabuki about it: no Black Rod, state procession or I spy strangers. When Cameron notifies the Council, that will be it in law.
  • Options

FTSE 100 loaded with non-GBP earners (so falling currency helps their P&L) is a false proxy for UK economy going forward. The Mid-cap and small caps will be what I'm watching.

The latter was down 3% on Friday but the FTSE 250 down 7.2%.

1-day trading tells us nothing much yet (just unwinding the wrong Remain rally), this next week I'll be happy if we avoid further large falls but I'm holding my breath for now.

plus they are of course denominated in £. If you are in say the USA the drop in the value of your UK investments on Friday would look rather larger.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

John_N4 said:

Of course the Government could stick 2 fingers up at them and apply the rules on any FUTURE Join/ Stay out referendum.

As I said before - it is the liberal left blowing a hissy fit because they are emotionally immature and incapable of accepting adversity.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Labour activist Tom Mauchline can be heard saying: "I had a Polish friend in tears because you couldn't get out the vote in Wales, the North and the Midlands."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Another false narrative being pushed I see....There was no problem getting the vote out, it is just they didn't want to follow the official party line.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    EPG said:

perdix said:

EPG said:

First of all, the European Council comprises the elected heads of government. This ignorance about the EU is really despairing, and it is the media's fault for being more interested in demonising Europe over the last 30 years rather than reporting about it, that so many educated people can think the Council is an unelected bureaucracy. Fortunately, British being ill-informed about Europe won't be a problem any more.

Article 50 is not about formally advising anybody. There is no kabuki about it: no Black Rod, state procession or I spy strangers. When Cameron notifies the Council, that will be it in law.
    It's an advisory referendum. The government has not decided how to respond to it and is leaving that task to its successor. It remains possible, though unlikely, that the advice will be rejected.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

GDP Growth 2014 = 2.8%

Current price = 1.23

Fine, but having lived through the 1980s when people were talking about 1:1 vs the dollar, I still find a trading range of $1.20-$1.30 (which I would also expect to be a transitory if prolonged dip) to be hardly armageddon.
    The 1980s weren't a great time to be looking for a job, either.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Not really true - there's not much correlation here between turnout (X axis) and Leave percentage (Y axis):

The areas that voted heavily Leave (10% more than average) and with higher than average turnout (72%) are many times the number of those who voted heavily Remain with higher than average turnout.
This discussion has been closed.