Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Fear and Loathing in Las Élysée: France 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Scott_xP said:

The head of the Food and Drink Federation said that when businesses first raised problems at Easter, ministers only wanted to talk about Covid and Brexit transition. “There was also a degree of scepticism about what we were saying. Remember most politicians never go shopping.”
    https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1444271828063735814

failing corporatists blame anyone but themselves shock
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129

Scott_xP said:

Rod McKenzie, managing director of the Road Haulage Association, said that a promise by ministers a week ago of three-month visas for 5,000 drivers, “simply does not work.”

Another major retail boss was blunter: “5,000 drivers is pissing in the wind.”

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1444270683211587586

makes you wonder why the RHA didnt do something about it four years ago
    Because it would've cost money?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    edited October 2021
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

FBPE is also a religion, with its own nutters.

Nope

There is no High Priest

Nobody has been expelled for blasphemy

Unlike Brexit
    ...so FBPE doesn't have nutters because it doesn't have a figurehead?

Also, I don't think Brexit or FBPE is a religion, even though they are ideologies, but I'm sure you can have religions with High Priests.
    The FBPE brigade are completely insufferable, but we're certainly worse off with Brexit - a vote which HAD to be acted on in order for the UK to remain a democratic nation.

Noone's changed their mind, we are where we are.
    Bit like a religion then. You can't convince anyone by reason or logic.
    And the converts on both sides tend to be the most fanatical.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Nope

There is no High Priest

Unlike Brexit
    Maybe not High Priest, but I think you are certainly Archbishop of PB's FBPE!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Had a chat with my wife's Uncle this morning, joked that we were glad to be in Ireland while there were fuel and food shortages in Britain. He was pretty clear that the same sort of trouble was heading to Ireland and the rest of Europe - the problem of treating HGV drivers like crap will eventually reach a breaking point there too. Naff all pre-emptive action being taken to head it off naturally.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

Rod McKenzie, managing director of the Road Haulage Association, said that a promise by ministers a week ago of three-month visas for 5,000 drivers, “simply does not work.”

Because it would've cost money?
    obviously

as would giving their directors a payrise

like to guess who got the bigger raise
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,642
    Back on topic, I think this is my favourite bit

France’s answer to the radio ‘Shock Jock’, he is best summarised by stating that his (English) Wikipedia page has a section ‘Cases before French jurisdictions’ which runs to 957 words and two convictions for ‘Provocation to racial discrimination’ (one pending appeal)

Basic rule of thumb, you shouldn't vote for someone whose 'criminal/legal controversies' etc which runs more than 300 words.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I feel like our tourism advert in the NYT needs a bit of work https://twitter.com/jamiesusskind/status/1443960130673029122/photo/1

The NYT's British love-in over AUUKUS didn't last long then.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    Scott_xP said:

The head of the Food and Drink Federation said that when businesses first raised problems at Easter, ministers only wanted to talk about Covid and Brexit transition. “There was also a degree of scepticism about what we were saying. Remember most politicians never go shopping.”

Of course. They're the employers. They should do some f***ing thing about it. Labour, especially skilled labour, is a scarce resource. Shortage is more natural than excess and employers have had years of enjoying an unnatural excess.

Having said that, if the DVLA did something to shift the 40,000 "vocational" licence backlog it would go some way to easing the problem. They have been a f***ing discrace during the pandemic. I hope they are working 24/7 and have drafted in people from other Departments.
  • Options
    Bloody hell.
    We were far from being outplayed too.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    No queues here today simply because there’s no fuel https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1444273854608707586/photo/1
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    ON THREAD - could Zemmour and Le Pen destroy each other allowing someone else through the middle (possibly Xavier Bertrand)? I'm not saying Bertrand or anyone else is necessarily fishing in the same pond - but if the far right vote is evenly split it may allow someone from another camp through to the run off - possibly someone with a better chance of beating Macron.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692

I don't have an opinion about British petrol shortages but the political point is that even if everybody thinks it's Brexit that's doing it, there will be an indignant argument about whether it's 80% Brexit or merely 65% Brexit, and the people who liked Brexit will feel like Boris is sticking up for them against the insufferable 80%ers. There are more than 40% of these people, and in the British system 40% wins you the election. I don't really have any good ideas for what Labour can do about this.

Channelling Abraham Lincoln, Johnson needs to fool 40% of the voters all the time. He' seems quite capable of doing that.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited October 2021

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

This isn’t just petrol stations in Penge

“‘A perfect storm’: supply chain crisis could blow world economy off course
    From Liverpool to LA, shortages of energy, labour and transport are threatening recovery from Covid”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/02/supply-chain-world-economy-energy-labour-transport-covid?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Also in the Guardian:

There’s a quiet panic happening in the US economy. Medical labs are running out of supplies like pipettes and petri dishes, summer camps and restaurants are having trouble getting food, and automobile, paint and electronics firms are curtailing production because they can’t get semiconductors. One man told me he couldn’t get a Whopper meal at a Burger King in Florida, as there was a sign saying “Sorry, no french fries with any order. We have no potatoes.”

Imagine that, no french fries in America.

The problem seems to be getting worse, as the shortages pile on top of each other like a snake eating its tail. For instance, the inability to fix trucks means that truck drivers can’t haul boxes of goods, which might actually contain the parts needed to fix the trucks, and so forth.

Then there’s trucking. Talk to most businesspeople who make or move things and they will complain about the driver shortage. This too is a story of deregulation. In the 1970s, the end of public rate-setting forced trucking firms to compete against each other to offer lower shipping prices. The way they did this was by lowering pay to their drivers. Trucking on a firm-level became unpredictable and financially fragile, so for drivers schedules became unsustainable, even if the pay during boom times could be high. Today, even though pay is going up, the scheduling is crushing drivers. The result is a shortage of truckers.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/01/america-supply-chain-shortages
    These are all true to differing extents, especially the worldwide semiconductor shortage, and the cargo ships stuck off the californian coast, but there are no major petrol or food shortages in the rest of western europe as yet, nor, from what I can gather, anywhere on the Northeastern or western coastal United States.
    There were pictures of food shortages in Brussels supermarkets this week
    Yes, but that one is because some workers went on strike at a distribution centre threatened with closure.
    https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/food/empty-shelves-carrefour-due-strikes-distribution-centres

Though they have problems because of Walloon / Not Walloon politics. It seems that bringing goods into Wallonia from the rest of Belgium is verboten. Or something.
    Too late, it's already gone viral amongst the ultra-Brexiters on social media, with no information providing that crucial supporting context. I've heard that one mentioned already elsewhere today ; the need for complete normalisation of whatever is going on is very strong.
    But the exact same process happens in the heads of Remoaners like Scott. Shortages in UK filling stations and the odd supermarket are all Brexit, only Brexit, and prove yet again that Brexit is an apocalyptic disaster yada yada

Whereas anyone with an IQ in double figures can see there are massive global supply and energy issues, a chain reaction of problems across the planet. All because of Covid, or the way Covid has exposed underlying weaknesses (like a lack of truck drivers - everywhere).

Is Brexit causing special or unusual glitches in the UK? Probably. But as the IRISH Times says, Brexit as a problem is dwarfed by this planet-wide turbulence. Brexit is not causing the power cuts across swathes of China
    But you also need to look at it in terms of a hierarchy of daily inconveniences. Food and fuel are near the top of that, and they're not happening for our neighbours at the moment. There are certainly global issues, but until or unless these issues align with those on the continent, people will very reasonably and predictably ask why they aren't doing so; as the polls are also already showing, too.
    Do you think a peddling little disruption to food and fuel is a greater inconvenience than not being paid enough to afford to even have a home of your own?
    Certainly not, and they're both long-terms consequences of nationalistic Thatcherism, in different ways. As will be many more people being evicted from their houses, and others increasing the strain on foodbanks, following the deranged cut in universal credit at a time of high inflation, coming up in the next few weeks.
    Au contraire, Thatcherism led to more people having the security of their own home than ever before.

Fifty years ago it was the unions like the NUM trying to rig the market. Now it's NIMBYs and people who expect others to only work for a government mandated minimum wage.

Either way the vested interests need standing up to.
    It can't be escaped from, or denied; Britain's much lower wages and poorer conditions than Germany or Sweden are long-term results of Thatcherism, and Thatcher's total and unqualified victory over organised labour, much more than, forty and fifty years hence, how obstructive or not the NUM may have been in 1978 or 1984.
    A little optimistic saying that it is just the UK which is a little lower than 2 chosen countries.

Much lower wages than Germany or Sweden applied only to the UK? True of nearly every significant country in Western Europe whether you measure by PPP, Gross salary, or net salary.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Is Brexit causing special or unusual glitches in the UK? Probably. But as the IRISH Times says, Brexit as a problem is dwarfed by this planet-wide turbulence. Brexit is not causing the power cuts across swathes of China

But Brexit can and will be blamed for everything that goes wrong. It's going to have to be continuously defended for decades. It has already become synonymous with 'shit'.
    In your febrile brain, perhaps. In the minds of others brexit might become associated with, say, higher wages, or more jobs.

Also, this won’t go on for decades. Already many people roll their eyes when Brexit is mentioned - in the real world, not Twitter or PB. In 5 years it will be an issue raised by embittered cranks, as other newer problems, disasters, developments, opportunities intervene
    LOL

;pre vote we were harried by the nailed on prospect of mass unemployment should we vote to Leave.

Post vote we have a shortage of labour
    It's not just Brexit though. The financial crash, the spending cuts after that, Covid, and probably other things have all been predicted to lead to "X million unemployed". The doom-mongers have been consistently and wildly wrong. For reasons I can't even understand the UK has a remarkably resiliant labour market. You would think eventually the talking heads would look back and think "I'll shut my gob" but they don't ever seem to learn from their dismal track record of forecasting.
  • Options
    Brexit is done and dusted, day 1926 and counting.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    I am reporting this to the International War Crimes Tribunal
    #DianaTheMusical

https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1444189366998417411
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,852
    Scott_xP said:

I feel like our tourism advert in the NYT needs a bit of work https://twitter.com/jamiesusskind/status/1443960130673029122/photo/1

The New York Times is, I feel, going to be kind of *disappointed* if Britain is not an irradiated desert inhabited solely by drooling wolverines and moaning lepers, within a year or so
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Nope

There is no High Priest

Unlike Brexit
    And yet, I get the feeling you'd burn williamglenn at the stake for heresy, if you could
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

The New York Times is, I feel, going to be kind of *disappointed* if Britain is not an irradiated desert inhabited solely by drooling wolverines and moaning lepers, within a year or so
    I think it first has to coming to terms with a drooling zombie of a president who cant do interviews.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    FF43 said:

I don't have an opinion about British petrol shortages but the political point is that even if everybody thinks it's Brexit that's doing it, there will be an indignant argument about whether it's 80% Brexit or merely 65% Brexit, and the people who liked Brexit will feel like Boris is sticking up for them against the insufferable 80%ers. There are more than 40% of these people, and in the British system 40% wins you the election. I don't really have any good ideas for what Labour can do about this.

Channelling Abraham Lincoln, Johnson needs to fool 40% of the voters all the time. He' seems quite capable of doing that.
    Boris Johnson doesn't actually need to fool anybody. He just needs to be less bad than the alternative.

Labour has an appalling image problem. Labour propped up by Scottish Nationalists, which is the only likely means by which Keir Starmer gets into office, is even worse.

That's really all there is to it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited October 2021
    Nigelb said:

I am reporting this to the International War Crimes Tribunal
    #DianaTheMusical

https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1444189366998417411

Yep - the twins (who know way too much about Broadway and West End musicals including how to find bootleg videos on Youtube) screamed when they saw the advert for this as they instantly knew how bad it was...
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I think it first has to coming to terms with a drooling zombie of a president who cant do interviews.
    People in glass houses...
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I hadnt realised Drakeford was that bad.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,240

Had a chat with my wife's Uncle this morning, joked that we were glad to be in Ireland while there were fuel and food shortages in Britain. He was pretty clear that the same sort of trouble was heading to Ireland and the rest of Europe - the problem of treating HGV drivers like crap will eventually reach a breaking point there too. Naff all pre-emptive action being taken to head it off naturally.

It's a interesting phenomenon in a number of countries - parts of the developed world have become addicted to cheap labour to do various jobs, rather than investing in equipment or managing in *concert with* the workforce.

See some big issues in the US on this.
  • Options
    glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

But Brexit can and will be blamed for everything that goes wrong. It's going to have to be continuously defended for decades. It has already become synonymous with 'shit'.
    In your febrile brain, perhaps. In the minds of others brexit might become associated with, say, higher wages, or more jobs.

Also, this won’t go on for decades. Already many people roll their eyes when Brexit is mentioned - in the real world, not Twitter or PB. In 5 years it will be an issue raised by embittered cranks, as other newer problems, disasters, developments, opportunities intervene
    LOL

;pre vote we were harried by the nailed on prospect of mass unemployment should we vote to Leave.

It's not just Brexit though. The financial crash, the spending cuts after that, Covid, and probably other things have all been predicted to lead to "X million unemployed". The doom-mongers have been consistently and wildly wrong. For reasons I can't even understand the UK has a remarkably resiliant labour market. You would think eventually the talking heads would look back and think "I'll shut my gob" but they don't ever seem to learn from their dismal track record of forecasting.
    One thing a lot of people need to understand

Brexit and the collapse of the Red Wall are both due to Osborne's Austerity and the way it impacted northern councils way more than southern ones due to how Council Tax was changed and the band of the typical house in that council.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, health permitting, we’re hoping to get back to Blighty for a visit next April so if you all could keep the wolverines and lepers at bay until after then we’d be very grateful.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

It has been "irradiated desert inhabited solely by drooling wolverines and moaning lepers" - this became the editorial view of the NYT, when Cameron went for "Austerity" rather than the fiscal expansion advocated by Obama.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Nope

There is no High Priest

Unlike Brexit
    And yet, I get the feeling you'd burn williamglenn at the stake for heresy, if you could
    Lol! ...Says the Wokefinder General.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Bloody hell.
    We were far from being outplayed too.

A good match. Could easily have been 2-1 either way so far.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

I don't remmber the X million unemployed warning, but I do remember the reduction in trade warning, leading to employment issues, and prices going up.

I also remember the "we have all the cards", "EU falling over themselves to trade with us", and "there's no reason we could have a trade deal from day one",
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

IT would be fun to do an opening paragraph, such as that on the UK by the NYT, but on the USA

I'll have a bash

"Hospitals filling up with dying plague victims. Gunmen rampant as murders soar out of control. Soldiers fleeing foreign bases, chased by barefoot militants. And, in the background, a political system reeling from an attempted coup, as race riots roil the cities - and the homeless die of opioid addiction. This is America in 2021."
    Sadly, all too plausible.

What is it with the NYT and their rabid anti-British stance? I'm all for taking a hard look at things that need fixing in Britain but really, if you buy the NYT you'd expect a modicum of balance.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, health permitting, we’re hoping to get back to Blighty for a visit next April so if you all could keep the wolverines and lepers at bay until after then we’d be very grateful.
    Give the lepers one groat each. You don't have to lend them your water bottle. If you do, view this instructional video first - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0AVoG8ZEQ

Wolverines are not so much of a problem now. It the bloody Jackalopes and the Drop Bears that have been smuggled in from Australia that are a menace. Worse, some of the Drop Bears have hybridised with the native Wild Haggis...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Of course. They're the employers. They should do some f***ing thing about it. Labour, especially skilled labour, is a scarce resource. Shortage is more natural than excess and employers have had years of enjoying an unnatural excess.

Having said that, if the DVLA did something to shift the 40,000 "vocational" licence backlog it would go some way to easing the problem. They have been a f***ing discrace during the pandemic. I hope they are working 24/7 and have drafted in people from other Departments.
    For much of this year they've been working 0/0 and anyone drafted in would have been attacked as scabs.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Bring your own petrol!
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

IT would be fun to do an opening paragraph, such as that on the UK by the NYT, but on the USA

I'll have a bash

"Hospitals filling up with dying plague victims. Gunmen rampant as murders soar out of control. Soldiers fleeing foreign bases, chased by barefoot militants. And, in the background, a political system reeling from an attempted coup, as race riots roil the cities - and the homeless die of opioid addiction. This is America in 2021."

What is it with the NYT and their rabid anti-British stance? I'm all for taking a hard look at things that need fixing in Britain but really, if you buy the NYT you'd expect a modicum of balance.
    It does seem at best highly emotive in its reporting, when you'd think there could be value in some distance.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

It started when Cameron took over. Brown had a lot of friends in the East Coast rich, liberal lot (core Democrats).

So when Cameron came in and, worse yet, implemented economic policies that went against the fiscal expansion advocated by Obama..... It was heresy... and heresy *must* never prosper.
  • Options

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

I don't remmber the X million unemployed warning, but I do remember the reduction in trade warning, leading to employment issues, and prices going up.

I also remember the "we have all the cards", "EU falling over themselves to trade with us", and "there's no reason we could have a trade deal from day one",
    No one, on either side, predicted a Labour shortage.
    Brexit moves in mysterious ways.
    Who dare question the Will of Brexit? It will provide.
  • Options

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

I'm still waiting for the house price crash.

That referendum was two groups of politicians throwing a combination of wild threats and lies at one another in their desperation to win. They both turned out to be right about some things and wrong about others, Of course, the Leavers simply had more effective campaigners; that, and the fact that there was very little emotional investment in the EU, made the difference in the end.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

Be careful, don't we need a trade agreement with the US?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

For much of this year they've been working 0/0 and anyone drafted in would have been attacked as scabs.
    A lot of the DVLA is also working without a problem. The only areas with long delays are those that haven't been automated.

For most things such as licence renewals are full licenses after passing your test things are virtually instant.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Sir Stuart Rose, chairman of the Remain Campaign, called it right on the very first day.

Brexit, he said, will lead to wages going up.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Sir Stuart Rose, chairman of the Remain Campaign, called it right on the very first day.

Did he? I stand corrected then.
    Telling somewhat though that I've never heard of him. Sums up the Remain campaign.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

It's partly Brexit, and also, partly - I've come to think - that it makes their readers feel better about themselves and about America, at a time when they are quite depressed about both. Because America does have major problems, arguably much worse than the UK, and it is also now in obvious relative decline as a superpower (a painful process we have already endured). So to cheer up its readership, the NYT points across the Atlantic to the mother country and another great English-speaking democracy and says Look how bad it is THERE!

It is basically what the Daily Express does when it aims jabs at France or Germany for its Brexity readership

The one surprising thing is that NYT readers don't complain (indeed, they must lap it up, as I imply). They are not a stupid bunch. Many of them must be aware it is hyperbolic rubbish.

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

True. But unless matched by higher productivity, it will cause general inflation. So the end result will be a redistribution of real income from those in occupations not in competition with EU migrants to those who are. The country as a whole won't be better off.

Ultimately the only ways to be better paid as a country are to increase our productivity, or reduce the real prices we pay, for example by deregulation.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

True. But unless matched by higher productivity, it will cause general inflation. So the end result will be a redistribution of real income from those in occupations not in competition with EU migrants to those who are. The country as a whole won't be better off.

Ultimately the only ways to be better paid as a country are to increase our productivity, or reduce the real prices we pay, for example by deregulation.
    Are you anticipating a great deal of deregulation?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

It's partly Brexit, and also, partly - I've come to think - that it makes their readers feel better about themselves and about America, at a time when they are quite depressed about both. Because America does have major problems, arguably much worse than the UK, and it is also now in obvious relative decline as a superpower (a painful process we have already endured). So to cheer up its readership, the NYT points across the Atlantic to the mother country and another great English-speaking democracy and says Look how bad it is THERE!

It is basically what the Daily Express does when it aims jabs at France or Germany for its Brexity readership

The one surprising thing is that NYT readers don't complain (indeed, they must lap it up, as I imply). They are not a stupid bunch. Many of them must be aware it is hyperbolic rubbish.

In fairness some UK reporting on the USA is not exactly un-hyperbolic and might make readers feel better, but NYT does seem to realllly go for it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

In fairness some UK reporting on the USA is not exactly un-hyperbolic and might make readers feel better, but NYT does seem to realllly go for it.
    UK reporting on other countries has a decades long reputation for balance, nuance and total absence of any exaggeration. A noble tradition which endures despite the many provocations.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

And whilst the government may come up with something where it's worth diverging from EU regulations that makes a meaningful difference to the economy, it's not done so so far. Permitting imperial weights and measures isn't it- that's increasing costs by running two systems not one.

In the meantime, running the UK as a smaller closed garden definitely increases costs because of the extra bumf every time something or someone crosses a border. And that drag on productivity isn't going away.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Telling somewhat though that I've never heard of him. Sums up the Remain campaign.
    He is a former chairman of Marks and Spencer.

Here is the Guardian spin on his followup remarks to a government select committee, during the campaign:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/14/lord-stuart-rose-misquoted-post-eu-brexit-wage-increases

The pro-Brexit media weren’t quite so nice on him:
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/649308/EU-referendum-Lord-Rose-Britain-Stronger-Europe-UKIP-wages-Brussels-Cameron
  • Options
    Andros Townsend.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Hopefully labour shortages will force employers to improve productivity through automation.

If we are really lucky then the jobs automated out of existence will either be replaced by additional ones in growing sectors suitable for the newly unemployed, or the number of available jobs will fall at approximately the same rate as the number of available workers, as the population goes into decline. Population decline being the best (and possibly only) long-term solution both to the tremendous house price problem, and to the strain that ever increasing numbers of human beings places upon our environment.
  • Options
    OMFG I just saw that clip from Diana the Musical

It's actually WORSE than everyone says. There are not words to describe it.

But is it actually meant to be this bad. Like an extended joke about the Worst Possible Musical?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Here is the Guardian spin on his followup remarks to a government select committee, during the campaign:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/14/lord-stuart-rose-misquoted-post-eu-brexit-wage-increases

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/649308/EU-referendum-Lord-Rose-Britain-Stronger-Europe-UKIP-wages-Brussels-Cameron
    A multi-millionaire businessman boss of an upmarket chain most folk can't afford to use?
    Like I said. Sums up the Remain campaign.
  • Options
    Leon said:

But is it actually meant to be this bad. Like an extended joke about the Worst Possible Musical?

It’s a comedy, isn’t it? Followup to The Play That Goes Wrong.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Well, I hadn't heard of it until just now, and am now kind of fascinated, so quite possibly. If your starting premise is shit, it might be best to lean into it for a so bad it is good situation.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    edited October 2021

Scott_xP said:

One interesting thing is that we didn't have many EU HGV drivers here in 2015, so they weren't driving down wages.

The big drop is since 2019.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Are you anticipating a great deal of deregulation?
    One can hope.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Hopefully labour shortages will force employers to improve productivity through automation.

If we are really lucky then the jobs automated out of existence will either be replaced by additional ones in growing sectors suitable for the newly unemployed, or the number of available jobs will fall at approximately the same rate as the number of available workers, as the population goes into decline. Population decline being the best (and possibly only) long-term solution both to the tremendous house price problem, and to the strain that ever increasing numbers of human beings places upon our environment.
    Automation is an attractive idea and it could undoubtedly happen to some extent. But empirical estimates of factor substitutability, as it is known in economic jargon, tend to show that it's only possible to a very limited extent; I've seen an estimate that about 20-25% of labour can be substituted with capital at the margin. The rest of a wage increase goes in lower profits or higher prices.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

Didn’t you steal that from the Spectator … ?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

If it redistributes income from those not working to those who are then that's an improvement in its own right

But there's no reason why productivity wouldn't rise. Incentivised to do so, people will invest in improvements and technology to aid productivity.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

I presume the US is annoyed with the UK over Brexit because now they no longer have an inside man. I can't imagine that even the most ardent of Remainers would want us to be in that position. Of course it would be a completely unfair stereotype.

Good and bad in this, but interesting to see the cobwebs of complacency swept away a little.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

One interesting thing is that we didn't have many EU HGV drivers here in 2015, so they weren't driving down wages.

Cumulative effect - 1% here and 1% there and soon you're dealing with substantial numbers.

Especially if its having an effect on the number of younger British people becoming drivers.

An ageing workforce in any economic sector is a sign of fundamental problems.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

It’s a comedy, isn’t it? Followup to The Play That Goes Wrong.
    It feels like it must be camp comedy, but the overwhelming reaction is cringe - more like Springtime for Hitler

Which was of course (in the movie) a massive hit
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

Send it in. See if they publish it in their letters.

Or else employ you....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited October 2021

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Cumulative effect - 1% here and 1% there and soon you're dealing with substantial numbers.

Especially if its having an effect on the number of younger British people becoming drivers.

Depends, the causality could be the drop in younger driver intake sucking in outside labour, like with farm food picking.

Edit: been very impressed (in the wrong way) with the reportage coming out in recent months on the way [further edit] driving staff are treated universally in Europe, including the UK.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

pigeon said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Automation is an attractive idea and it could undoubtedly happen to some extent. But empirical estimates of factor substitutability, as it is known in economic jargon, tend to show that it's only possible to a very limited extent; I've seen an estimate that about 20-25% of labour can be substituted with capital at the margin. The rest of a wage increase goes in lower profits or higher prices.
    But 20% of labour is a massive number of people, on the scale of the economy as a whole.

It starts with car washes, coffee machines, self-ordering kiosks and self-checkout machines - all of which are easy investment decisions as the cost of unskilled labour starts to rise above minimum wage, or as minimum wage rises above inflation. All of these substitutions of labour with capital, make the business more productive and more profitable.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058
    eek said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

One thing a lot of people need to understand

Brexit and the collapse of the Red Wall are both due to Osborne's Austerity and the way it impacted northern councils way more than southern ones due to how Council Tax was changed and the band of the typical house in that council.
    I think there’s a hell of a lot of truth in this. But people can kid themselves it’s all racist grandads.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The big drop in the total number is in the last 18 months. It looks to me that around 70 000 British HGV drivers disappeared in the pandemic. It looks like they found a better way of making a living, and the shift of EU drivers was quite minimal in comparison.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

A multi-millionaire businessman boss of an upmarket chain most folk can't afford to use?
    Here he is saying it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyKrXB4i9Ag

With him is 'Red Prince' Will Straw. Now Will Straw CBE.
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I hadnt realised Drakeford was that bad.
    Are you in Wales then?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The big drop in the total number is in the last 18 months. It looks to me that around 70 000 British HGV drivers disappeared in the pandemic. It looks like they found a better way of making a living, and the shift of EU drivers was quite minimal in comparison.
    The anecdotal evidence, is that a lot of long-distance HGV drivers got jobs driving smaller vehicles more locally, for similar money. There was a huge expansion of home delivery services at the start of the pandemic, as supermarkets and retailers understandably refocused their businesses away from physical stores.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Here he is saying it:

CBE !! Did it come in a pack of cornflakes.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

If it redistributes income from those not working to those who are then that's an improvement in its own right

But there's no reason why productivity wouldn't rise. Incentivised to do so, people will invest in improvements and technology to aid productivity.
    You'd have two effects. On the one hand there would be a substitution effect, as firms are incentivised to substitute capital for Labour. But as I explained below that's probably limited. On the other, there would be an income effect, as business as a whole is less profitable.

The idea that we can pay-rise ourselves to prosperity is as seductive as the idea that we can tax and spend ourselves to prosperity, and just as accurate. The only way to increase prosperity overall is to increase productivity.

Mrs Thatcher made a really good speech on this. I'll try and did it out.
  • Options
    Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Here he is saying it:

CBE !! Did it come in a pack of cornflakes.
    You don't imagine he could open a box of cornflakes do you?

(I've no idea about his skills, but I'm damned sure he got his CBE for one reason only.)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Indeed.

Covid has had a major disruptive event and many bad employers have been left exposed.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

I presume the US is annoyed with the UK over Brexit because now they no longer have an inside man. I can't imagine that even the most ardent of Remainers would want us to be in that position. Of course it would be a completely unfair stereotype.

Good and bad in this, but interesting to see the cobwebs of complacency swept away a little.
    It's not the US.

It was written by a freelancer called Samuel Earle who is based in London, and lectures in Feature Writing at UCL.

https://muckrack.com/samuel-earle
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The anecdotal evidence, is that a lot of long-distance HGV drivers got jobs driving smaller vehicles more locally, for similar money. There was a huge expansion of home delivery services at the start of the pandemic, as supermarkets and retailers understandably refocused their businesses away from physical stores.
    Yes, that is quite plausible. Nonetheless it is hard to see that less than 10% of the workforce was driving down HGV wages in 2015. Nor for that matter that the quarter of HGV drivers are going to come back in a hurry.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

pigeon said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

But 20% of labour is a massive number of people, on the scale of the economy as a whole.

It starts with car washes, coffee machines, self-ordering kiosks and self-checkout machines - all of which are easy investment decisions as the cost of unskilled labour starts to rise above minimum wage, or as minimum wage rises above inflation. All of these substitutions of labour with capital, make the business more productive and more profitable.
    It's only 20% of labour at the margin. Not overall - it will certainly be lower overall. And of course you're left with a bunch of unskilled unemployables with nothing to do. Fine if you can deport them or retrain them, but as a country we have a pooe record at doing both.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,174
    Dura_Ace said:

Then there’s trucking. Talk to most businesspeople who make or move things and they will complain about the driver shortage. This too is a story of deregulation. In the 1970s, the end of public rate-setting forced trucking firms to compete against each other to offer lower shipping prices. The way they did this was by lowering pay to their drivers. Trucking on a firm-level became unpredictable and financially fragile, so for drivers schedules became unsustainable, even if the pay during boom times could be high. Today, even though pay is going up, the scheduling is crushing drivers. The result is a shortage of truckers.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/01/america-supply-chain-shortages

There is definitely something going on. I recently bought an engine and transmission for my '80 Firebird (this winter's project). I had them consigned to FedEx in Memphis for shipping then I got my estimate for the freight costs.... $8,000!

Axis really starts at $0.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

You'd have two effects. On the one hand there would be a substitution effect, as firms are incentivised to substitute capital for Labour. But as I explained below that's probably limited. On the other, there would be an income effect, as business as a whole is less profitable.

The idea that we can pay-rise ourselves to prosperity is as seductive as the idea that we can tax and spend ourselves to prosperity, and just as accurate. The only way to increase prosperity overall is to increase productivity.

Though all post industrial economies seem to struggle with productivity. Service industries don't necessarily benefit from automation. If I want a coffee from a machine why not make it at home? Why use a self checkout in a shop when it is easier to shop online?

The premium that people want to pay for is inherently time based. I could see more patients if I halved consultation times, but wouldn't patients feel short-changed?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

I was just in the States, and most informed liberal Americans I talked to are obsessed with the notion of Boris as BritTrump, and Brexit as our equivalent of the 6th January uprisings. Americans usually think of foreign politics in American terms, but even I was surprised at their lack of interest in, or understanding of, the big differences between the two.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Housing

I'm hearing reports that the Housing Market is coming to a screeching halt. Causes

- End of Stamp Duty holiday has finished any rushed transactions, and now affecting sentiment.
    - Dip after the rush of the last week or two whilst backoffices catch up.
    - Dawning realisation that some taxes are coming down the road.
    - Delaying until Oct 23 to find out.

If you are buying, now may be a good time to deal.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Interesting thread on this here. People (incorrectly) predicted a demand side shock and (correctly) predicted an ongoing loss of prosperity as a result of Brexit. They didn't predict the highly damaging loss of resilience.

The clues where there, particularly when the pandemic kicked off, but no-one picked up on them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/t0nyyates/status/1442877965881253899
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

Though all post industrial economies seem to struggle with productivity. Service industries don't necessarily benefit from automation. If I want a coffee from a machine why not make it at home? Why use a self checkout in a shop when it is easier to shop online?

The premium that people want to pay for is inherently time based. I could see more patients if I halved consultation times, but wouldn't patients feel short-changed?
    Yes productivity in services is incredibly subjective and difficult to measure. Most measurements are based around income, which is obviously absurd in some contexts.

I write as someone who has done more work on productivity than any man should have to...
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I'll have a bash

I was just in the States, and most informed liberal Americans I talked to are obsessed with the notion of Boris as BritTrump, and Brexit as our equivalent of the 6th January uprisings. Americans usually think of foreign politics in American terms, but even I was surprised at their lack of interest in, or understanding of, the big differences between the two.
    That's definitely a factor. Trump Derangement Syndrome.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,791
    pigeon said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

LOL

On a historical scale, immigration to Europe is still rising. Hard to see that ever changing.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Depends, the causality could be the drop in younger driver intake sucking in outside labour, like with farm food picking.

Edit: been very impressed (in the wrong way) with the reportage coming out in recent months on the way [further edit] driving staff are treated universally in Europe, including the UK.
    Likewise with meat production:

Every inch of Margot’s body hurt from the unrelenting work. Her hands bled from blisters that burst as she repeatedly hauled carcasses, but she would wait until she got home to sterilise her wounds with ammonia. “If you didn’t do your job well, you’d be pushed – they didn’t care if your hands were full of blood,” she says.

This wasn’t the life Margot* imagined when she left her job in a clothes factory near her home village in Romania in search of better prospects for her young family in western Europe. She thought labour conditions in the Netherlands – where she worked for three years in a meat factory – would be much more favourable than in her home country. “I didn’t expect it to be so awful.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/28/the-whole-system-is-rotten-life-inside-europes-meat-industry
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2021
    MattW said:

Housing

I'm hearing reports that the Housing Market is coming to a screeching halt. Causes

- End of Stamp Duty holiday has finished any rushed transactions, and now affecting sentiment.

Interesting.

I suspect people are starting to factor in interest rate rises coming down the road.

What impact do people think a 4-5% interest rate would have on average house prices?

I recon -30%, possibly more.

I think even a 0.25% or 0.5% rise would send chills through the housing market
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Fishing said:

I don't want to sound rude but some of the the people you talked to must be stupid if they compare a lawful vote with a violent attempt to overturn the results of an election.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    ping said:

MattW said:

Housing

Interesting.

I suspect people are starting to factor in interest rate rises coming down the road.

What impact do people think a 4-5% interest rate would have on average house prices?

Am suspicious that a certain proportion of mortgage holders aren't actually aware interest rates can rise.
  • Options
    glw said:

Fishing said:

I don't want to sound rude but some of the the people you talked to must be stupid if they compare a lawful vote with a violent attempt to overturn the results of an election.
    As I've said before, ironically the best British comparison with 6th January in DC is the Remainer campaign to overturn the Brexit referendum: to simply ignore a lawful vote and get it reversed, because they "didn't like it"
  • Options
    glw said:

Fishing said:

Not stupid, just ignorant. Parrotting what they read in the NYT and see on CNN rather than finding out about the issues and making their own minds up.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

MattW said:

Housing

Interesting.

Am suspicious that a certain proportion of mortgage holders aren't actually aware interest rates can rise.
    Anyone under 35, has never really known anything except interest rates on the floor.
  • Options
    Leon said:

glw said:

Fishing said:

As I've said before, ironically the best British comparison with 6th January in DC is the Remainer campaign to overturn the Brexit referendum: to simply ignore a lawful vote and get it reversed, because they "didn't like it"
    That's a very interesting thought. Sort of crossed wires, but I like it.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Leon said:

glw said:

Fishing said:

The similarities are far outweighed by differences. Remainers should have just accepted a compromise but the acting as if the methodology makes no difference is just plain bollocks. It gets a rise from people, job done, but that doesn't denote anything substantive.
  • Options
    ping said:

MattW said:

Housing

Interesting.

UK Consumer confidence does look to be dropping, and that must affect house prices significantly.

https://www.cityam.com/anxiety-about-soaring-living-costs-weighs-down-uk-consumer-confidence/amp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

• Options
    ping said:

MattW said:

Housing

Interesting.

Absolutely fantastic news if true but I won't count chickens until they hatch.

Surely the biggest issue hasn't even been mentioned yet? Construction may finally be outpacing demand for the first time in decades. Long may it continue.
This discussion has been closed.