Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Stand by for a big announcement at 10pm – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    and the big idea is AUUKUS! Let it last a thousand years
  • Options
    Why is there fuck all on BBC news?

The BBC seriously is a bag of shite.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

BBC wittering on about the reshuffle. Truly bizarre. Completely lost the place.

And people claim we need to pay for the BBC because its a public service broadcaster - and they've missed this? What a joke.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,850
    This is about China.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    This is to replace NATO, or "augment" it
  • Options
    Gone to SkyNews which *does* have it.

The BBC needs to be put down.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    I'm amazed at what a froth you've all worked yourselves up into
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I keep hearing them say Orcas. It's weird.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Boris getting in a reference to levelling up.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

DavidL said:

And people claim we need to pay for the BBC because its a public service broadcaster - and they've missed this? What a joke.
    Well what have they missed? I mean it’s not aliens after all...
  • Options
    Boris gets 'Levelling Up' in. Cool!
  • Options
    Probably unconnected to the announcement but I've just had to reboot our boiler.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Lol not being covered live on BBC News
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,134
    Sandpit said:

This is about China.

Absolutely. And it’s not a coincidence that our carrier is out there at the moment
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

MrEd said:

rpjs said:

MrEd said:

Even if you do not like Trump, the second to last paragraph is spot on:

https://spectatorworld.com/topic/elected-mark-milley-china-military/

Nope, no-one elected Mark Milley but no-one elected Vasili Arkhipov or Stanislav Petrov either, but we might not still be here if they hadn’t done what they did.

And US military swear oaths to obey lawful orders from their superiors, and the bit about defending the Constitution comes first IIRC. Hard to defend a constitution if the country it constitutes is a pile of smoking rubble.
    Stanislav Petrov is a bad example. He was the Duty Officer and made a decision that the alarm was probably false.

It is slightly different to telling your opposite number you will give them advance notice of an attack and consult no civilian on your actions.

As I said to @ydoethur the question is, if Milley did this to a Democrat President under the same circumstances or a similar situation, would you see it as similarly justified or say it is wrong?
    Any sane person would see it as justified.

I am aware this definition does not include most current Republican voters.
    Most sane - and true - liberal voters would see Milley’s actions as unjustified. And you still haven’t answered whether you would support Milley’s actions if a Democratic President was involved in a similar situation.
    Really?

British nuclear weapon launching is under military rather than political control, I believe.
    But with civilian authorisation. Correct me if I am wrong but, unless in extreme circumstances, the military can’t go launching nuclear missles by themselves.
    Quite right that the military shouldn't go launching the weapons by themselves without checks.

Nor should the President.

If the President goes crazy the military absolutely has the duty to double-check with other relevant people before following through with such madness just because a deranged individual is telling them to send the weapons flying.
    Absolutely agree with that. Believe it or not, I don’t want nuclear war.

However, if this is a comment on my Milley point, I’ll reiterate - Milley wasn’t told by Trump to launch an attack nor were there any suggestions given but instead believed it could happen - without consulting anyone - and then acted on his own.

If you want to flip examples, let’s do a roll play scenario in 2017 where Michael Flynn is Chief of Staff and HRC is President. Flynn believes HRC is going to attack Russia over its Crimea behaviour and thinks she is going too far. He therefore takes steps to make sure HRC cant launch the missies even though she has given no direct orders to do so. Is he right to take action?
    He feared the POTUS could order a nuclear strike and did no more than make clear that anyone he could give the order to knew to double-check before sending the missiles.

Absolutely that's entirely reasonable and nobody can object to that. He didn't say Trump couldn't order a strike, he just said that if an unprovoked first strike were ordered then rather than sending the missile it should be checked first.
    He seems to have something which is subtly dufferent, but which is crucial, that such personnel should not obey the Commander in Chief’s orders unless Milley gave his permission. Milley therefore put himself above the C-in-C.

Now, if the US wants to have a procedure where the CoS can do that, it should be in the Constitution or, at least, codified. The fact it is not suggests that politicians in the past have had misgivings.
  • Options

Australia-US -UK flags behind Morrison

And behind Biden too. Presumably behind Johnson but he's not on screen.
    Late again?
    LOL no, just Morrison spoke first and was shown split-screen with Biden looking at him talking first. Now Boris is speaking. Presumably Biden will speak next.

Main takeaway seems to be that Australia is getting nuclear subs with the assistance of USA and UK.
  • Options
    Biden forgot ScoMo’s name?
  • Options

Gone to SkyNews which *does* have it.

The BBC needs to be put down.

Good job they just hired a highly impartial new top bod....
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Auukward, is my verdict.
  • Options
    Biden's forgotten ScoMo's name!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I keep hearing them say Orcas. It's weird.

You'd think they could have tipped off the subtitlers that it is not Orcas.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364
    Did Joe Biden just forget Scott Morrison's name? "That fella down under"?
  • Options
    'That fellow down under'. What a disaster.
  • Options
    Oh god he forgot Scott's name
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,070
    Sandpit said:

This is about China.

Keep up!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    The fella down under?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

That fella downunder?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,581
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

"That is why we intend to attack these mysterious craft"

Jesus

Very good.

Seriously*, what's more likely, intelligent aliens reaching earth from a distant galaxy or people travelling back in time from the future? Either could conceivably explain UFOs.

(*Ok not really. Neither is possible imho but I'd prefer the latter to the former; at travellers from the future are unlikely to want to anihilate us beacuse it would presumably f*ck-up the, er, future.)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    Good job for the teleprompter for Sleepy Joe..... otherwise he might be talking of a New Zealand deal with PM Macron....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Replace, the theatre of war has shifted to APAC. Europe can't be trusted which means a new partnership needs to be formed. I expect we'll try and pull Japan in, especially if their constitution is amended to allow non-self defence military capabilities.
  • Options
    We are uniting our nation with another nation led by a man in total senile decline. Brilliant
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909

DavidL said:

That is an absolute joke. ITV too. Sky are the only ones running it. Nuclear subs in Aussie waters, a fairly big story…
  • Options
    Remember this is Biden, not Trump
  • Options
    Boris' remarks make it sound much like the Oz submarines will essentially be British, but assembled in down under.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

We are uniting our nation with another nation led by a man in total senile decline. Brilliant

Johnson?

Edit, sorry I thought you were directly quoting Biden.
  • Options
    Lol Biden forgot who Scott Morrison was
  • Options
    ScoMo would get my vote for president of the world if it was a choice of these three.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,250
    edited September 2021
    tlg86 said:

I think that was a joke tbh. President Biden appears to be taking this less seriously than the other two.

ETA that said, Boris's levelling-up speech sounded a bit off too.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Total senile decline is still an improvement from what came before it.
  • Options
    Biden isn’t all there, is he?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,541

DavidL said:

Well what have they missed? I mean it’s not aliens after all...
    I see that it is big news in Australia, but not clear what it means to us. Considering out militaries couldn't defeat a bunch of nutters on mopeds in Afghanistan.
  • Options

Biden's forgotten ScoMo's name!

Brilliant. Joe never fails to disappoint.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,245
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Replace, the theatre of war has shifted to APAC. Europe can't be trusted which means a new partnership needs to be formed. I expect we'll try and pull Japan in, especially if their constitution is amended to allow non-self defence
    military capabilities.
    SEATO Part II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asia_Treaty_Organization
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    He has IDS's "frog" too...
  • Options
    Australia to buy nuclear subs off UK , paid for in thermal coal
  • Options
    Fuck off, we don't want France in this. Wankers

AUKUS is for the Anglos

• Options
    What's most shocking here is that the Biden people who control the marionette strings are all in for a much closer UK/US partnership. The Biden team hasn't changed the Trump administration foreign policy outlook at all. In fact they seem to have doubled down and pushed the EU further away and hugged the UK closer.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lol Biden forgot who Scott Morrison was

Well, everyone else does...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Did Biden mistake France for the UK there?
  • Options

DavidL said:

That is an absolute joke. ITV too. Sky are the only ones running it. Nuclear subs in Aussie waters, a fairly big story…
    Nuclear-powered subs, not subs with nuclear weapons.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What's most shocking here is that the Biden people who control the marionette strings are all in for a much closer UK/US partnership. The Biden team hasn't changed the Trump administration foreign policy outlook at all. In fact they seem to have doubled down and pushed the EU further away and hugged the UK closer.

But but but Biden's Irish heritage wibble wibble
  • Options

Leon said:

"That is why we intend to attack these mysterious craft"

Jesus

Very good.

Seriously*, what's more likely, intelligent aliens reaching earth from a distant galaxy or people travelling back in time from the future? Either could conceivably explain UFOs.

(*Ok not really. Neither is possible imho but I'd prefer the latter to the former; at travellers from the future are unlikely to want to anihilate us beacuse it would presumably f*ck-up our the, er, future.)
    Unless we already fecked up the future and they want revenge....

:)
  • Options
    Biden: We are launching...

...consultations.

Just for a moment I thought it was getting serious.
  • Options

Leon said:

Total senile decline is still an improvement from what came before it.
    True. Probably better than actual madness, but still quite embarrassing
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bunch of public sector woke-obsessed sloppy space-cadet fuckwits.
  • Options
    Do you think Sleepy Joe has any idea what he is reading off the teleprompter? He certainly doesn't sound like it.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Nuclear powered, not nuclear armed. Though I imagine they may be able to carry Trident missiles in the future.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Biden isn’t all there, is he?

And Johnson is?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I think that was a joke tbh. President Biden appears to be taking this less seriously than the other two.

I assumed it was a folksy joke.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,134
    Leon said:

Didn’t NATO use to be a thing? Wrong part of the globe of course.
  • Options
    The exclusion of Canada seems deliberate
  • Options
    BBC are shocking not covering this live
  • Options
    They’re fucking mental. They’ve ripped us out of Europe and are now lashing us to the US in time for conflict with China. Fuck me. Hasn’t Iraq and Afghanistan taught them anything?
  • Options
    This was just a showcase for a potential AUS-US arms deal. The presence of Boris wasn't really necessary at all.
  • Options
    18 months for China to invade Taiwan
  • Options

MaxPB said:

“America’s Back!”
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nuclear-powered subs, not subs with nuclear weapons.
    Yes, I got that but my post wasn’t clear
  • Options
    White House link cuts off before the press corps can ask any questions of the President.
  • Options

They'll surely cover it before 22:30 just not live.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

No, I'm sorry, I've got senile relatives (sadly). And that was pure senility

He simply forgot. Classic. So you stumble on a replacement - "that fella down under"
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Says one of the woke obsessed.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Sandpit said:

This is about China.

Definitely about China. Also about Afghanistan, I think. I don't think the US would bother with this level of PR for an announcement like this if they weren't aiming to wipe out memories of the Afghan fiasco.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

My WhatsApp has been full of Remoaners delighted that Biden withdrew from Afghanistan without telling the UK.. for 36 hours.

Totally silent now.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Nuclear powered, not nuclear armed. Though I imagine they may be able to carry Trident missiles in the future.
    No, that would be a very different design. At most they could perhaps manage a few nuclear cruise missiles.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MaxPB said:

“America’s Back!”
    It is indeed.

POTUS is sharing a stage with America's longstanding closest allies.

Not kowtowing before the Russian President.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Election timing, Canada to join later?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    Sandpit said:

White House link cuts off before the press corps can ask any questions of the President.

He walked off i think. Time for his afternoon nap.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Didn’t NATO use to be a thing? Wrong part of the globe of course.
    Pacific Treaty Organisation. PTO.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes but in what sense? If it is just an announcement that Australia will be buying British and American submarines, why would Canada be involved? Biden and Morrison were both at pains to mention that existing partnerships would be honoured.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Replace, the theatre of war has shifted to APAC. Europe can't be trusted which means a new partnership needs to be formed. I expect we'll try and pull Japan in, especially if their constitution is amended to allow non-self defence military capabilities.
    Japan, India and Australia. Rope China the fuck in all round.

Nasty regime.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    10.15 and made it to bbc news
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Now on BBC 10pm news
  • Options
    Leon said:

It could be the Purdah rules around their own election, or could also be related to their failure to spend half the NATO target on defence.

They do have a few great airfields for civilian diversions over the Atlantic though, you’d want to think they’d make that point.
  • Options

Leon said:

No, it seems to be all about getting Aussie nuclear submarines into the Pacific with UK and US support.

Not sure what Canada would have to do about that?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802

Quite rigid for the News Channel not to break from the 10 o'clock news for it, but I wouldn't have led BBC1 with that.

Just on the news now.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364

They’re fucking mental. They’ve ripped us out of Europe and are now lashing us to the US in time for conflict with China. Fuck me. Hasn’t Iraq and Afghanistan taught them anything?

What would your approach to China be?
  • Options
    Could damage Trudeau?

"Canada left out again... Do our allies just not trust Trudeau?"

https://twitter.com/erinotoole/status/1438238781858095107?s=20
  • Options
    Well, I'll wager one thing: we won't be hearing about AUUKUS ever again.
  • Options

Leon said:

Why would Canada want to be part of this?
  • Options

The tripartite deal will strengthen the UK defence industry and must lead to a US trade deal

Europe has been sidelined and it will pose big questions for Starmer and indeed Europe itself
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

18 months for China to invade Taiwan

The subs aren't going to be built in 18 months!

Neither would Australia sink the PLA navy without the USA being alongside.
  • Options
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

No pun intended but I suspect the shot across the bows is deliberate.

Suggests the UK and US wouldn't rule out throwing Australia under a nuclear umbrella.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,383
    edited September 2021
    Called it...
    ...It went on to say that the defence pact would also focus on cyber capabilities, artificial intelligence and "additional undersea capabilities".

(BBC ... who perhaps weren't invited to have cameras there ?)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

My WhatsApp has been full of Remoaners delighted that Biden withdrew from Afghanistan without telling the UK.. for 36 hours.

Totally silent now.
    What are you on about?
  • Options
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

No, I'm sorry, I've got senile relatives (sadly). And that was pure senility

He simply forgot. Classic. So you stumble on a replacement - "that fella down under"
    Wasn't he reading it? Unless the autocue broke, it was more likely a scripted joke.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Says one of the woke obsessed.
    No, it's the Woke who are woke-obsessed.

I'm only pointing out their obsession.

Those who object (like you) only do so because you are also woke-obsessed, and therefore part of the problem.
  • Options

Shashank Joshi
    @shashj
    ·
    1m
    Our piece on AUKUS, which the British government refers to as a "new defence alliance". The agreement, originally proposed by Australia, will be signed in Washington next week, presumably during
    @ScottMorrisonMP
    's visit to Washington between Sep 21-24.

An Aussie proposal, interestingly. But suits US and UK

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1438250834777841666?s=20
  • Options
    What can a non nuclear nuclear sub actually do ?
This discussion has been closed.