Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Stand by for a big announcement at 10pm – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

This new UK/US/Oz alliance.

Whilst I'm delighted by this and I hope more countries join am I the only worried that when Trump or some other Trump clone wins the White House in 2024 or some other date they end up ripping us this deal/agreement?

Not a chance, this feeds into the US Military Industrial Complex.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    glw said:

DavidL said:

The level of multiculturalism in this Cabinet is way beyond anything we have ever seen. Chancellor, Home Sec, Health Sec, Business Sec, Education Sec. Its really remarkable but people still witter on about newspaper articles decades ago. Labour front bench is incredibly white by comparison.

True, but still better than the Nats.
    Let's not start off down that road. The Scottish parties - all of them - can only work with the people they have. The country was 96% white according to the 2011 census, and things probably haven't shifted by more than 1-2% since.

The UK Parliament and Cabinet are more diverse because England is more diverse, that's all.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Whilst I'm delighted by this and I hope more countries join am I the only worried that when Trump or some other Trump clone wins the White House in 2024 or some other date they end up ripping us this deal/agreement?

Interesting choice of the word “when” rather than “if”
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Leon said:

Have I got this right? Australia just became a nuclear power?

No, but in a sense this is more important. Australia is definitively joining an anti-Chinese military pact. That is the one and only role for AUKUS. Given the reliance of the Australian economy on Chinese trade, that is brave, if not ambitious (and too much to expect from NZ)

This is big.
    Not as big as if the alien invasion had been announced.
    sadly
    It worried me a bit when I thought it might be the aliens announcement, because an announcement now clearly isn’t the plan. There’s quite a bit more foreplay to come first. So if there had been a sudden announcement on aliens now, then it would likely mean “we” have lost control of the narrative. Which would be deeply unsettling.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    pigeon said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

The level of multiculturalism in this Cabinet is way beyond anything we have ever seen. Chancellor, Home Sec, Health Sec, Business Sec, Education Sec. Its really remarkable but people still witter on about newspaper articles decades ago. Labour front bench is incredibly white by comparison.

True, but still better than the Nats.
    Let's not start off down that road. The Scottish parties - all of them - can only work with the people they have. The country was 96% white according to the 2011 census, and things probably haven't shifted by more than 1-2% since.

The UK Parliament and Cabinet are more diverse because England is more diverse, that's all.
    What about the workers' party?

• Options
    Australians will be holding their breath to see if China responds by halting or reducing trade.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,869

Leon said:

Could damage Trudeau?

"Canada left out again... Do our allies just not trust Trudeau?"

https://twitter.com/erinotoole/status/1438238781858095107?s=20

Doubt it. You're a wavering voter and you hear that a deal to sell Australia some non-nuclear armed nuclear-powered subs has been agreed, and Canada's not involved. Does that decide your vote? Unlikely.
    Hmm. It's a close election. It's not a good foreign policy look for Trudeau, being left out of a new and important military alliance of the major English speaking powers, including Canada's biggest ally and neighbour

I guess the question is: if asked, would he have said Yes? I don't know enough about him to answer, but my instinct is that Canada being in this new alliance from the start would have been better for him, politically. If only because he'd have been on live global TV and they could have called it CAUKUS. Everyone wants a CAUKUS
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

They’re fucking mental. They’ve ripped us out of Europe and are now lashing us to the US in time for conflict with China. Fuck me. Hasn’t Iraq and Afghanistan taught them anything?

The tripartite deal will strengthen the UK defence industry and must lead to a US trade deal

Europe has been sidelined and it will pose big questions for Starmer and indeed Europe itself
    Big G. I don't wish to be rude, but what absolute nonsense.
    Why is it nonsense
    You said it "must lead to a US trade deal" - no evidence for that.

Also, "big questions for Starmer" - really? What are they?
    Does he support this tripartite deal to provide nuclear powered subs to Australia

I am sure the left and the Greens will be furious
    Why? They have never been bothered by nuclear powered vessels, just nuclear armed ones.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    edited September 2021
    Chameleon said:

Somehow Robert Peston's the loser in a reshuffle he wasn't even involved in!

https://twitter.com/ProfChalmers/status/1438190967782350853/photo/4

Saw him on ITN news . He looked dishevelled. Looks like he needs a bath, a shave and some decent clothes... and a haircut...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

What can a non nuclear nuclear sub actually do ?

They'll be very similar to these I imagine:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astute-class_submarine
    I wonder whether they'll go for something more like the dreadnought class, you know just in case they want to borrow a trident missile or two.
    I suspect it's also to aid Australia to develop a nuclear civilian sector to aid its transition of energy generation away from coal.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

They’re fucking mental. They’ve ripped us out of Europe and are now lashing us to the US in time for conflict with China. Fuck me. Hasn’t Iraq and Afghanistan taught them anything?

Hahahahahahaha. 'Ripped us out of Europe'. Love your angst.
    They can feel rejoin slipping away. This plays directly into the "global Britain" narrative and pushes us much further away from the EU. Our impending CPTPP membership will be the final nail in the coffin.
    What a bunch a sabre rattling imbeciles you are.

I’m more concerned about the country being turned into cinders because of fucking Taiwan or something, some shit hole on the other side of the globe, than being in the fucking EU.

It’s like Franz Ferdinand and Sarajevo, dragged into a war we’ve no need to be in.
    But we ARE in this war. It is a Cold War for now, but it is a war. Do you think Britain can somehow hide from the clear and present menace of China? We cannot
    It's been clear that we've been in a cold war for over a decade with only one side actually fighting. Now we've got appeasers on our own side complaining that we're finally mobilising and fighting back. We defeated the Soviets and Chinese are no different.
    The big difference between the Soviets and the Chinese is surely the strength of their economies. The Soviet ecomony effectively imploded bringing the regime down with it. There's no sign of that happening in China (yet).

A few days ago I got pilloried on here for questioning whether the Chinese economy can progress beyond its current huge manufacturing capability based on cheap, massive and well-organised labour, and move to become a true technological world leader.

Time will tell, but I wonder whether the central planning structure which has got China this far will prevent it overtaking America and Europe in the future.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Well given the way the GOP are stripping voting rights it really is a case of when.

Let us face if the GOP win the House next year even if Biden/Dems win the 2024 contest by 50 million votes and the electoral college by 300 votes the GOP will steal the election like they tried earlier on this year.
  • Options
    There are lots of bitter comments on French social media about this with people saying they should pull out of NATO, restart nuclear testing in the Pacific and that they should have sold Argentina more Exocets.
  • Options
    French not happy

"Gérard Araud
    @GerardAraud
    The world is a jungle. France has just been reminded this bitter truth by the way the US and the UK have stabbed her in the back in Australia. C’est la vie."

Mate, Oz is British. Never forget that.

*stifles Cockney cackle*

https://twitter.com/GerardAraud/status/1438252971893141515?s=20
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

The RAN nuclear subs idea will also not survive an Australian Labor or Labor/Green government.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

DavidL said:

Annoyingly good point.
    The best thing about it is that's it's not even really an issue, and there's little comment about it, or point-scoring. We actually have a government that if anything is over-representative of ethnic minorities*, but nobody cares, because nobody thinks that the appointments are down to ethnicity. The appointments are political favours and intended to thwart rivals or bolster allies, as it has always been done, and skin colour doesn't come into it.

* I've not done a head count but it's a hunch, ignore all this if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Once again it really is very striking just how distant the US is becoming from the EU. The democrats in charge of the Biden agenda have continually made moves to snub European countries and the EU. We now have a technology sharing agreement between the US, UK and Australia which covers AI, quantum computing, nuclear technologies and other emerging defence tech, none of the 27 nations are even close to a seat at the table. This is just the latest move where Europe has found itself not even making it into second best.

I'm personally not sure it's a good idea from the US to push European countries away like this, we need as wide an alliance as possible to take on China. It's no good for the US, UK and some APAC nations to start making moves to curtail China's malign influence on the world while European countries continue to treat with them and enrich them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Could damage Trudeau?

"Canada left out again... Do our allies just not trust Trudeau?"

https://twitter.com/erinotoole/status/1438238781858095107?s=20

Doubt it. You're a wavering voter and you hear that a deal to sell Australia some non-nuclear armed nuclear-powered subs has been agreed, and Canada's not involved. Does that decide your vote? Unlikely.
    Hmm. It's a close election. It's not a good foreign policy look for Trudeau, being left out of a new and important military alliance of the major English speaking powers, including Canada's biggest ally and neighbour

I guess the question is: if asked, would he have said Yes? I don't know enough about him to answer, but my instinct is that Canada being in this new alliance from the start would have been better for him, politically. If only because he'd have been on live global TV and they could have called it CAUKUS. Everyone wants a CAUKUS
    Canada has no operational nuclear-powered submarines, though it has some that are not in use. They could not sell anything to Australia.

But they could grant your wish and join CAUKUS by agreeing to talk about purchasing American (and slightly British) nuclear-powered submarines once their election is out of the way.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited September 2021

The tripartite deal will strengthen the UK defence industry and must lead to a US trade deal

Europe has been sidelined and it will pose big questions for Starmer and indeed Europe itself
    Why is it nonsense

Does he support this tripartite deal to provide nuclear powered subs to Australia

Which side of the world? This announcement is hardly going to save, that bloke down under, from being replaced by Labour, who might well have their own policies and idea’s.

The 2pp has, that bloke down under, toast for sure in six months.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,948
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Well, I'll wager one thing: we won't be hearing about AUUKUS ever again.

Looks to me like Scotty wanted a bit of face saving as his deal with the French over subs became unaffordable, mostly over costs of building in Australia.
    Yes, that's my take. Boris was just along for the ride.
    Actually, I'll revise that. There'll doubtless be a huge backlash in AUS about becoming a mere US dominion. Boris's presence might provide some counterweight to that, though it isn't great - many will see it as a former colonial master trying to muscle in with a potential new one.
    No. Since the fall of Singapore, and the Battle of the Coral Sea, Australia has known that the only country that can protect it is the USA. That is why the Aussies were in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Notably we skipped Vietnam, much to the Americans annoyance.

What does it matter to the UK? Possibly some export sales, though nothing very soon. More importantly it is to curry favour with Scotty in the run up to other deals.
    Indeed, the US' closest ally is actually Australia not us, the only major nation which has fought with the US in all its wars from WW1 on
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

French not happy

"Gérard Araud
    @GerardAraud
    The world is a jungle. France has just been reminded this bitter truth by the way the US and the UK have stabbed her in the back in Australia. C’est la vie."

Mate, Oz is British. Never forget that.

*stifles Cockney cackle*

https://twitter.com/GerardAraud/status/1438252971893141515?s=20

Based on the tone of some of the responses, the political repercussions in France could get very interesting.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The RAN nuclear subs idea will also not survive an Australian Labor or Labor/Green government.
    Yes. it will. This is a commitment by the entire Aussie Establishment. Is my bet. They are fucking scared of China
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

What can a non nuclear nuclear sub actually do ?

They'll be very similar to these I imagine:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astute-class_submarine
    I wonder whether they'll go for something more like the dreadnought class, you know just in case they want to borrow a trident missile or two.
    I suspect it's also to aid Australia to develop a nuclear civilian sector to aid its transition of energy generation away from coal.
    If I heard correctly, the Australian PM said he wasn't interested in that. Which is logical. They don't need it. Most of the country is a gigantic desert: they can just fill chunks of it up with solar plants.
  • Options
    Why are media still peddling this cases are rising stuff?

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    14m
    How is ok to have it claimed on the Sky News 10 o'clock news - peak time viewing - by a professor from the govt's own modelling unit, that cases are rising when there is no conceivable measure by which that is true? And it was recorded so they cld hv checked before broadcasting!
  • Options

Cookie said:

What would your approach to China be?
    Let ‘em fucking get on with it. It’s their backyard. We don’t have an Empire anymore. We don’t rule the seas. Get over it. Yes they do things we don’t agree with. The treatment of the Uighurs is abhorrent, for example. The Taliban treat women like shit but we don’t care about them poor fuckers anymore. What are we going to do to China? Invade? Drone strikes?

They’re fucking mad.

China’s going to be the dominant global power. It’s going to happen. It’s not welcome but that’s the reality.
    If we do nothing and China become the dominant global power your freedoms go too. Pouf. Gone. They will use a mixture of money and threats to control your life, and the world then slips into a dark new authoritarian age.

Wake up.
    And having spent the last 25 years trading exclusively with China, exporting our manufacturing jobs and filling their banks with USD, Euros and UK pounds, in order to keep western inflation down, the penny has finally dropped.

A bit late for your big boy bravery now isn't it?
    Lol. So your argument is that we're a bit late to the party.

Erh, yeah. We should have been doing this five years ago - I agree. Some of us were saying this, including me, ever since the umbrella protests in Hong Kong. However, this is a bit of a difficult argument for you to pull off since morons like you were accusing us of sabre-rattling then too.

Put your fingers in your ears and hide under your bed if it makes you feel better but otherwise please do shut-up and leave foreign policy to the grown ups
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Once again it really is very striking just how distant the US is becoming from the EU. The democrats in charge of the Biden agenda have continually made moves to snub European countries and the EU. We now have a technology sharing agreement between the US, UK and Australia which covers AI, quantum computing, nuclear technologies and other emerging defence tech, none of the 27 nations are even close to a seat at the table. This is just the latest move where Europe has found itself not even making it into second best.

I'm personally not sure it's a good idea from the US to push European countries away like this, we need as wide an alliance as possible to take on China. It's no good for the US, UK and some APAC nations to start making moves to curtail China's malign influence on the world while European countries continue to treat with them and enrich them.

China is on the other side of the world from Europe, it is more important to get India and Japan and S Korea involved to contain China than the EU.

The EU is needed however to contain Putin's Russia through Nato
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365
    MaxPB said:

But isn't it the other way around - that the likes of Germany are unreliable allies because they continue to treat with them and enrich them?
  • Options

Nah, it's a Trump foreign policy goal, America has extended its sphere of influence in a very big way today.
  • Options
    'Australia is the gum stuck on a Chinese boot' is what that Chinese bigwig said.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

gealbhan said:

Isn’t the more likely outcome Taiwan has a referendum and votes to unite with China? They fled communism, but now China got more billionaires and millionaire than anyone. Being under the nationalistic umbrella might actually appeal to the Taiwanese

You think?

What do you think of the prospect of that?
  • Options

Cookie said:

What would your approach to China be?
    Let ‘em fucking get on with it. It’s their backyard. We don’t have an Empire anymore. We don’t rule the seas. Get over it. Yes they do things we don’t agree with. The treatment of the Uighurs is abhorrent, for example. The Taliban treat women like shit but we don’t care about them poor fuckers anymore. What are we going to do to China? Invade? Drone strikes?

They’re fucking mad.

China’s going to be the dominant global power. It’s going to happen. It’s not welcome but that’s the reality.
    If we do nothing and China become the dominant global power your freedoms go too. Pouf. Gone. They will use a mixture of money and threats to control your life, and the world then slips into a dark new authoritarian age.

Wake up.
    And having spent the last 25 years trading exclusively with China, exporting our manufacturing jobs and filling their banks with USD, Euros and UK pounds, in order to keep western inflation down, the penny has finally dropped.

A bit late for your big boy bravery now isn't it?
    Lol. So your argument is that we're a bit late to the party.

Erh, yeah. We should have been doing this five years ago - I agree. Some of us were saying this, including me, ever since the umbrella protests in Hong Kong. However, this is a bit of a difficult argument for you to pull off since morons like you were accusing us of sabre-rattling then too.

Put your fingers in your ears and hide under your bed if it makes you feel better but otherwise please do shut-up and leave foreign policy to the grown ups
    We have to start somewhere. Late is always better than never.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Grow a dick. We're all fucked unless we stand up to and contain China.

Entirely necessary and the right thing to do for the future of humanity, and you're a naïve idiot if you disagree.

"Stand up to and contain" China?

Okay - they're winning the economic war hands down it would seem - is any part of this standing up and containing process going to involve challenging China economically and environmentally (I presume if China can't get its coal from Australia, one of its African surrogates will provide).

How do we compete with China in Africa for example? What can we provide they can't?

Do we see the PLA marching across the steppes or sweeping into the Pacific - if so, shouldn't part of the containment process involve Russia and India who both share extensive borders with China or is our focus purely on the Pacific (Japan, South Korea?).

What of North Korea and its ballistic missile capability (another country with whom China shares a border coincidentally)?

I'm not disputing the fact China is emerging (or re-emerging) as a significant global power - at least economically. The military dimension - inasmuch as the nature of warfare is moving away to other spheres and other weapons than the old-fashioned tanks, guns and ships to cyber space and, whisper it quietly perhaps, biological warfare (sorry, can't get @Leon excited at this time of evening) - is less clear.

Are we offering any kind of guarantee to Vietnam (another country bordering China) or the Philippines?

Perhaps we should be looking to re-activate SEATO or something similar - I don't know.

I sense "standing up to and containing", while an easy soundbite, needs a lot more thought and coherence to get close to an actual policy.
    I see this as a first step. It's about getting liberal and democratic nations to cooperate in trade, economics, security, technology and defence to resist the authoritarian encroachment of China so it doesn't pick us off one-by-one, like it's already started to do through stifling criticism of itself, in return for trade, in New Zealand.

This is also good for China as it might force it to reconsider its policy, and its people perhaps ultimately its regime, so whatever way you look at it it's the right thing to do.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,249

Why are media still peddling this cases are rising stuff?

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    14m
    How is ok to have it claimed on the Sky News 10 o'clock news - peak time viewing - by a professor from the govt's own modelling unit, that cases are rising when there is no conceivable measure by which that is true? And it was recorded so they cld hv checked before broadcasting!

UK cases by specimen date

• Options

Australians will be holding their breath to see if China responds by halting or reducing trade.

Relations between Australia and China are already pretty dire. One assumes that the calculation in all of this is that the bridges are already on fire, and the Australians are prepared to try their luck building new ones with other partners rather than trying to put those fires out.

That, and they really don't fancy ending up as a Chinese satellite.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

MrEd said:

Well given the way the GOP are stripping voting rights it really is a case of when.

Let us face if the GOP win the House next year even if Biden/Dems win the 2024 contest by 50 million votes and the electoral college by 300 votes the GOP will steal the election like they tried earlier on this year.
    They would need to win the Senate too however for objections to the EC result to stand.

However if they did it would not be the end of US democracy, merely see the elected legislature effectively appoint the President rather than the EC doing so in the event a different party controlled Congress to the party whose candidate won the EC.

There is nothing stopping the Congress electing the President under the constitution.

I would also point out since 1945 the Democrats have won the House more times than they have won the Presidency, so that would not necessarily benefit the Republicans.

In countries like Germany and Italy and India the legislature appoints the President with state representatives so it is not that uncommon
  • Options
    I assume Boris will address the HOC tomorrow
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Isn’t the more likely outcome Taiwan has a referendum and votes to unite with China? They fled communism, but now China got more billionaires and millionaire than anyone. Being under the nationalistic umbrella might actually appeal to the Taiwanese

And the silk road China is building reaches Europe, and UK workers all use their jobs because of cheap imports? Can we blow up that dangerous road with our subs instead? Isn’t that the realistic threat. There’s numerous ways to take a country into serfdom and client state. ☹️

Not a chance, they've seen what has happened to Hong Kong.

Creative ambiguity suits them best too.
    You have followed the growing call in Taiwan for a reunification referendum and still think it’s unlikely or even impossible?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    Sod Nuclear Subs, the first civilian space mission is due to launch in a couple of hours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyG1p3X1l74
  • Options

stodge said:

Grow a dick. We're all fucked unless we stand up to and contain China.

Entirely necessary and the right thing to do for the future of humanity, and you're a naïve idiot if you disagree.

"Stand up to and contain" China?

Okay - they're winning the economic war hands down it would seem - is any part of this standing up and containing process going to involve challenging China economically and environmentally (I presume if China can't get its coal from Australia, one of its African surrogates will provide).

How do we compete with China in Africa for example? What can we provide they can't?

Do we see the PLA marching across the steppes or sweeping into the Pacific - if so, shouldn't part of the containment process involve Russia and India who both share extensive borders with China or is our focus purely on the Pacific (Japan, South Korea?).

What of North Korea and its ballistic missile capability (another country with whom China shares a border coincidentally)?

I'm not disputing the fact China is emerging (or re-emerging) as a significant global power - at least economically. The military dimension - inasmuch as the nature of warfare is moving away to other spheres and other weapons than the old-fashioned tanks, guns and ships to cyber space and, whisper it quietly perhaps, biological warfare (sorry, can't get @Leon excited at this time of evening) - is less clear.

Are we offering any kind of guarantee to Vietnam (another country bordering China) or the Philippines?

Perhaps we should be looking to re-activate SEATO or something similar - I don't know.

I sense "standing up to and containing", while an easy soundbite, needs a lot more thought and coherence to get close to an actual policy.
    I see this as a first step. It's about getting liberal and democratic nations to cooperate in trade, economics, security, technology and defence to resist the authoritarian encroachment of China so it doesn't pick us off one-by-one, like it's already started to do through stifling criticism of itself, in return for trade, in New Zealand.

This is also good for China as it might force it to reconsider its policy, and its people perhaps ultimately its regime, so whatever way you look at it it's the right thing to do.
    Indeed, it would be good for trade to be dealt with too.

Its a real shame that Trump pulled the USA out of the TPP, but if America could join the CPTPP along with the UK then that'd be perfect.
  • Options
    @shashj
    French state has a majority (62%+) stake in Naval Group & Thales, itself part-owned by French gov't, has another 35% stake in the company. So Australia's decision to drop Naval Group and turn to UK/US has big commercial implications for France and wider diplomatic implications.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1438230589665054727
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

geoffw said:

gealbhan said:

You think?

What do you think of the prospect of that?
    No way.
    Ask @dixiedean who is pretty clued up about Taiwan.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Hahahahahahaha. 'Ripped us out of Europe'. Love your angst.
    They can feel rejoin slipping away. This plays directly into the "global Britain" narrative and pushes us much further away from the EU. Our impending CPTPP membership will be the final nail in the coffin.
    What a bunch a sabre rattling imbeciles you are.

I’m more concerned about the country being turned into cinders because of fucking Taiwan or something, some shit hole on the other side of the globe, than being in the fucking EU.

It’s like Franz Ferdinand and Sarajevo, dragged into a war we’ve no need to be in.
    But we ARE in this war. It is a Cold War for now, but it is a war. Do you think Britain can somehow hide from the clear and present menace of China? We cannot
    It's been clear that we've been in a cold war for over a decade with only one side actually fighting. Now we've got appeasers on our own side complaining that we're finally mobilising and fighting back. We defeated the Soviets and Chinese are no different.
    Exactly. Very well put.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

And the silk road China is building reaches Europe, and UK workers all use their jobs because of cheap imports? Can we blow up that dangerous road with our subs instead? Isn’t that the realistic threat. There’s numerous ways to take a country into serfdom and client state. ☹️

You have followed the growing call in Taiwan for a reunification referendum and still think it’s unlikely or even impossible?
    Yes.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Germany effectively leads the EU, and is about to elect a rainbowy alliance that will make Merkel's Government look like Ronald Reagan's.

It isn't going to get better any time soon.
  • Options

@shashj
    French state has a majority (62%+) stake in Naval Group & Thales, itself part-owned by French gov't, has another 35% stake in the company. So Australia's decision to drop Naval Group and turn to UK/US has big commercial implications for France and wider diplomatic implications.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1438230589665054727

How may this impact on the French election
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    pigeon said:

Relations between Australia and China are already pretty dire. One assumes that the calculation in all of this is that the bridges are already on fire, and the Australians are prepared to try their luck building new ones with other partners rather than trying to put those fires out.

Also, with this new Defence Pact Australia will feel more secure in saying to China: buy our fucking coal and iron or not, up to you, we don't want your 6G weirdness

China NEEDS a lot of stuff from Australia, which is a reliable and honest trading partner. It's not that simple for China to simply shift to buying wheat and wine from Africa or wherever. This is a way for Oz to maintain the prosperous trade, while keeping some sensible distance from China in all other forms, and not being subjugated as a vassal-state like NZ
  • Options
    France must be spitting mad about this. Not only are they losing a AU$90bn contract, they also won't have any influence on the direction of this new global alliance. It won't be in the room when new technology developments are shared and it won't have anyone in the room to tell it what happened when decisions are made.

The sixth or seventh largest global defence power has been left out, it's a really, really big slap in their face.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes. it will. This is a commitment by the entire Aussie Establishment. Is my bet. They are fucking scared of China
    I suspect the foreign policy will transition changes in government, just as it does in the US, Canada and UK, with just a change of emphasis and tone.
  • Options

There are lots of bitter comments on French social media about this with people saying they should pull out of NATO, restart nuclear testing in the Pacific and that they should have sold Argentina more Exocets.

Just the usual Gallic strop turned up to 11 then.

As it happens, I wouldn't mind the French in this too given their assets and capability - but I also don't trust them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura Ace might be right, let’s wait to see what the Aussie greens and Aussie Labour say, because they are going to be in power in about six months.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

pigeon said:

Also, with this new Defence Pact Australia will feel more secure in saying to China: buy our fucking coal and iron or not, up to you, we don't want your 6G weirdness

China NEEDS a lot of stuff from Australia, which is a reliable and honest trading partner. It's not that simple for China to simply shift to buying wheat and wine from Africa or wherever. This is a way for Oz to maintain the prosperous trade, while keeping some sensible distance from China in all other forms, and not being subjugated as a vassal-state like NZ
    It's very good for any country to be a reliable and honest trading partner.
    And yes, it's tricky to rebalance your trade relationships overnight even if alternative partners are out there.

Hmmm
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

France must be spitting mad about this. Not only are they losing a AU$90bn contract, they also won't have any influence on the direction of this new global alliance. It won't be in the room when new technology developments are shared and it won't have anyone in the room to tell it what happened when decisions are made.

The sixth or seventh largest global defence power has been left out, it's a really, really big slap in their face.

Their press is calling it a "monstrous knock-out" and says they've been "stabbed by their allies".

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-finance/industrie/aeronautique-defense/sous-marins-la-france-poignarde-par-ses-allies-australiens-et-americains-892437.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Foxy said:

BBC are shocking not covering this live

They'll surely cover it before 22:30 just not live.
    No excuse whatsoever
    No need to cover it live until the content was known.
    Don't be silly. The PM gives a press conference with the President of the United States of America (and the President of Australia) then you bloody well cover it.
    Honestly, it's an important announcement that needed to be covered. But live? No.
    That's ridiculous.

How often does the Prime Minister give a joint press conference with the President of the United States of America?

If those two are giving a joint press conference, that's what the news should be covering live.
    FFS If it's that important why did Johnson pick the same day for his re-shuffle?
    Because Thursday is his day with the kids? And then that evening he's having a curry with his mates, so Friday doesn't work either.
  • Options

As it happens, I wouldn't mind the French in this too given their assets and capability - but I also don't trust them.
    I would actually trust the French, my issue would be (and I'll bet this is a sticking point) the technology sharing agreements would cut across a lot of EU schemes which means anything shared within a group that includes France also includes all 27 EU nations and suddenly what was a very tight, secure closed circle becomes at risk of falling into Chinese hands.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura Ace might be right, let’s wait to see what the Aussie greens and Aussie Labour say, because they are going to be in power in about six months.
    No, he's wrong. The Fear of China is real. And it overrides anything else, now
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    Farooq said:

I'm amazed at what a froth you've all worked yourselves up into

PB is home to some of the finest frothers in the business.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Yes.
    Yes you have, or yes it’s impossible?
  • Options
    In other news, Rick Astley is now a Morrissey tribute act.

https://twitter.com/FarOutMag/status/1437555238165172232
  • Options
    Families should have reshuffles.

'It hasn't really worked out for you as a sibling - we're moving you to weird second cousin from Great Yarmouth.'

https://twitter.com/GeoffNorcott/status/1438121628890714116
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Yes.
    Yes you have, or yes it’s impossible?
    Yes.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    glw said:

DavidL said:

Annoyingly good point.
    The best thing about it is that's it's not even really an issue, and there's little comment about it, or point-scoring. We actually have a government that if anything is over-representative of ethnic minorities*, but nobody cares, because nobody thinks that the appointments are down to ethnicity. The appointments are political favours and intended to thwart rivals or bolster allies, as it has always been done, and skin colour doesn't come into it.

* I've not done a head count but it's a hunch, ignore all this if I'm wrong.
    Yes, it is like when Blunkett was the first Home Secretary with a major disability*, fairly unremarked other than to consider his politics and abilities.

* no doubt @ydoethur will pop up to say that Sir Archibald Snot in 1826 was...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

I'm amazed at what a froth you've all worked yourselves up into

PB is home to some of the finest frothers in the business.
    None finer. It's the juxtaposition (as we used to say in Media Studies class) that makes it.
    Take the unexpected blending of these two flavours:

"It's really important the West united to counter China"
    "Haha, we've really done a number on the Frenchies!"

You'd think they wouldn't work well together, and yet, and yet...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

As much as it amuses me to hear this I would rather the French were in it, because we probably do need them.

The trouble is: I don't trust them. Not sure the Americans or Australians do too.

They need to divorce their FDSP away from the EU if they want to play.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Boris has written and said some insensitive stuff. But people do seem to dwell on the same few examples over and over, and unless people can demonstrate how those are still reflective of his actions today it's not super relevant. He has plenty of other faults as a PM to focus on.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583

So the French have flint knappers too?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I would actually trust the French, my issue would be (and I'll bet this is a sticking point) the technology sharing agreements would cut across a lot of EU schemes which means anything shared within a group that includes France also includes all 27 EU nations and suddenly what was a very tight, secure closed circle becomes at risk of falling into Chinese hands.
    Yes, good point.
  • Options

Of course he would, or attempt to. How can you be America first if you are, gods forbid, working with people?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    edited September 2021
    Foxy said:

Why is it nonsense

Why? They have never been bothered by nuclear powered vessels, just nuclear armed ones.
    Getting rid was in the last Green Party manifesto, for a variety of reasons.
  • Options
    @benjaminhaddad
    A stunning stab in the back of a key European ally involved in the Indo-Pacific. Everyone in Paris is shell shocked. The lowest point in US-France relations since 2003 (with probably deeper consequences), and a major setback to a transatlantic strategy on China.

https://twitter.com/benjaminhaddad/status/1438262378865565705
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Biden explicitly mentioned that he wanted France to be part of it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Their press is calling it a "monstrous knock-out" and says they've been "stabbed by their allies".

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-finance/industrie/aeronautique-defense/sous-marins-la-france-poignarde-par-ses-allies-australiens-et-americains-892437.html
    I don't wish to provoke Remoaners at this painful time, but this might actually be the first tangible benefit of Brexit. As in, business we would not have otherwise acquired

Of course I think Brexit means Brexit, the key benefit of Brexit was Brexiting, and returning true democracy to Westminster. But the Remoaners are dim and they want something mundane that they can point at and nod towards, like quasi-intelligent chimps, so this could be it
  • Options

@benjaminhaddad
    A stunning stab in the back of a key European ally involved in the Indo-Pacific. Everyone in Paris is shell shocked. The lowest point in US-France relations since 2003 (with probably deeper consequences), and a major setback to a transatlantic strategy on China.

hahahahahah

oh sorry

Not that's bad
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Biden explicitly mentioned that he wanted France to be part of it.
    No, he said he wanted France to be part of the wider Indo-Pacific strategy, that's a completely different prospect to what today's new alliance is all about.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

As much as it amuses me to hear this I would rather the French were in it, because we probably do need them.

The trouble is: I don't trust them. Not sure the Americans or Australians do too.

Is that the 'force de frappe'?
    or frappée perhaps?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    gealbhan said:

I thought that was a pretty likely outcome a decade ago. There was a massive thawing of relations under Hu Jintao, with direct flights opening up, and Taiwan changing its laws to allow Chinese firms to own strategic assets.

Not any more.

Relations have really deteriorated. The Taiwanese are investing heavily in defensive weaponry, including a fleet of hunter killer submarines, and upgrading all their planes.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

They aren't, Morrison still leads Albanese as preferred PM and as the last election showed in Australia who is preferred PM is a better indicator than headline voting intention
  • Options

MrEd said:

If you truly believe the GOP wants to steal elections and ban democracy, then why not support the banning of the GOP, like the Germans did with the Nazis? Seriously. If they are a threat to democracy as you believe, that should be your course of action.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Chameleon said:

Saw him on ITN news . He looked dishevelled. Looks like he needs a bath, a shave and some decent clothes... and a haircut...
    Can't get a haircut. By the time he's got round to asking for what he wants it's closing time.
    A slob of a journalist with stupid hair, who can't be trusted with simple facts, whose wittering rambling makes him sound as ridiculous as he looks.
    Such a person has no place in our politics!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

MaxPB said:

The US has had a huge beef, going back decades, with French aerospace and defence companies.
  • Options
    Leon said:

@benjaminhaddad

hahahahahah

oh sorry

Not that's bad
    How long before Macron says “I wish Trump was still President”?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

Chameleon said:

Can't get a haircut. By the time he's got round to asking for what he wants it's closing time.
    A slob of a journalist with stupid hair, who can't be trusted with simple facts, whose wittering rambling makes him sound as ridiculous as he looks.
    But enough about the Prime Minister.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

They aren't, Morrison still leads Albanese as preferred PM and as the last election showed in Australia who is preferred PM is a better indicator than headline voting intention
    Despite so far behind in the pp2, yet you calling it for that man from down under already 😆

Will this announcement make it more difficult for that man to win the coming election? 🤔
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited September 2021

The French would probably have insisted that everyone else speak French.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

Chameleon said:

A fair description of the PM, but what about Peston? 😕
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Despite so far behind in the pp2, yet you calling it for that man from down under already 😆

Will this announcement make it more difficult for that man to win the coming election? 🤔
    Every poll in the 2019 Australian election had Labor ahead on 2PP before polling day, however Morrison still led Shorten as preferred PM.

Morrison's Coalition won the election.

I would imagine this announcement will boost him a bit as strong on national security, plus as more Australians continue to get vaccinated, helped by vaccines from us, their lockdown will ease and he will get a further boost
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yeah, but Morrison is looking long in the tooth for an Aussie PM - look at this list of how long the last lot were in office

Morrison - 3 years 22 days (and counting)
    Turnball - 2 years 343 days
    Abbott - 1 year 362 days
    Rudd (II) - 83 days
    Gillard - 3 years 3 days
    Rudd (I) - 2 years 203 days

God knows what changed after Howard lasted 11 years.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

I thought that was a pretty likely outcome a decade ago. There was a massive thawing of relations under Hu Jintao, with direct flights opening up, and Taiwan changing its laws to allow Chinese firms to own strategic assets.

Not any more.

Relations have really deteriorated. The Taiwanese are investing heavily in defensive weaponry, including a fleet of hunter killer submarines, and upgrading all their planes.
    Yet despite what governments are doing unification is still a thing amongst the people.

the same reasons you thought it likely a decade ago, they will never go away will they?

Firstly, the Taiwanese share the same nationalism as China, so that’s a factor in reunification that’s never going to go away. As Norman Tebbit would put it, who do the Taiwanese cheer for when the US and China play each other at cricket?

Secondly, they actually share the same capitalist idea’s now - look at the number of Billion and Millionaires in China.

Which brings us to an interesting third factor, how people overlook some things when there is opportunity to get get rich. As in many Taiwanese may see unification as making them and families richer and open up all sorts of opportunities.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    MaxPB said:

That aspect of it troubles me.
    A serious potential fracture in the western alliance is not to be celebrated.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Leon said:

@benjaminhaddad

hahahahahah

oh sorry

Not that's bad
    Trump even went to Bastille Day and praised Macron's military display. Biden is not that interested in Europe other than Ireland, his focus is containing China
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

The French have only ever been half-engaged with NATO at the best of times.

There's a reason they were never a part of Five Eyes and its not because they aren't English-speaking.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    edited September 2021
    Today was the day Ursula VDL talked about her new European Defence Union in her "State of the Union 2021" speech.

France is spitting feathers partly because this is one centrepiece of their Presidency of the EU in 2022 from Jan 1st. Plus the Oz PM didn't aiui manage to get through to Mons. Macaron on the phone.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/speech_21_4701

Extract:

Europe can – and clearly should – be able and willing to do more on its own. But if we are to do more, we first need to explain why. I see three broad categories.

First, we need to provide stability in our neighbourhood and across different regions.

We are connected to the world by narrow straits, stormy seas and vast land borders. Because of that geography, Europe knows better than anyone that if you don't deal in time with the crisis abroad, the crisis comes to you.

Secondly, the nature of the threats we face is evolving rapidly: from hybrid or cyber-attacks to the growing arms race in space.

Disruptive technology has been a great equaliser in the way power can be used today by rogue states or non-state groups.

You no longer need armies and missiles to cause mass damage. You can paralyse industrial plants, city administrations and hospitals – all you need is your laptop. You can disrupt entire elections with a smartphone and an internet connection.

The third reason is that the European Union is a unique security provider. There will be missions where NATO or the UN will not be present, but where the EU should be.

On the ground, our soldiers work side-by-side with police officers, lawyers and doctors, with humanitarian workers and human rights defenders, with teachers and engineers.

We can combine military and civilian, along with diplomacy and development – and we have a long history in building and protecting peace.

The good news is that over the past years, we have started to develop a European defence ecosystem.

But what we need is the European Defence Union.

This is why, under the French Presidency, President Macron and I will convene a Summit on European defence.

It is time for Europe to step up to the next level.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

Not any more.

Yet despite what governments are doing unification is still a thing amongst the people.

the same reasons you thought it likely a decade ago, they will never go away will they?

Firstly, the Taiwanese share the same nationalism as China, so that’s a factor in reunification that’s never going to go away. As Norman Tebbit would put it, who do the Taiwanese cheer for when the US and China play each other at cricket?

Secondly, they actually share the same capitalist idea’s now - look at the number of Billion and Millionaires in China.

Which brings us to an interesting third factor, how people overlook some things when there is opportunity to get get rich. As in many Taiwanese may see unification as making them and families richer and open up all sorts of opportunities.
    China has a Communist dictatorship, Taiwan is a capitalist democracy and was created in the first place after the civil war with the mainland, there is no love lost between them
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    MattW said:

Today was the day Ursula VDL talked about her new European Defence Union in here "State of the Union 2021" speech.

France is spitting feathers partly because this is one centrepiece of their Presidency of the EU in 2022 from Jan 1st. Plus the Oz PM didn't aiui manage to get through to Mons. Macaron on the phone.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/speech_21_4701

Extract:

Europe can – and clearly should – be able and willing to do more on its own. But if we are to do more, we first need to explain why. I see three broad categories.

First, we need to provide stability in our neighbourhood and across different regions.

We are connected to the world by narrow straits, stormy seas and vast land borders. Because of that geography, Europe knows better than anyone that if you don't deal in time with the crisis abroad, the crisis comes to you.

Secondly, the nature of the threats we face is evolving rapidly: from hybrid or cyber-attacks to the growing arms race in space.

Disruptive technology has been a great equaliser in the way power can be used today by rogue states or non-state groups.

You no longer need armies and missiles to cause mass damage. You can paralyse industrial plants, city administrations and hospitals – all you need is your laptop. You can disrupt entire elections with a smartphone and an internet connection.

The third reason is that the European Union is a unique security provider. There will be missions where NATO or the UN will not be present, but where the EU should be.

On the ground, our soldiers work side-by-side with police officers, lawyers and doctors, with humanitarian workers and human rights defenders, with teachers and engineers.

We can combine military and civilian, along with diplomacy and development – and we have a long history in building and protecting peace.

The good news is that over the past years, we have started to develop a European defence ecosystem.

But what we need is the European Defence Union.

This is why, under the French Presidency, President Macron and I will convene a Summit on European defence.

It is time for Europe to step up to the next level.

By Jove, he's got it! More Europe!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322

Why is it nonsense

On the trade point, I'm following the trade issue closely for my job, and for technical reasons it is virtually impossible to have a US-UK trade deal before 2023 (Biden would need an authority for negotiations which he won't get this side of the mid-terms - and probably still less after them).

• Options
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

@benjaminhaddad

hahahahahah

oh sorry

Not that's bad
    Trump even went to Bastille Day and praised Macron's military display. Biden is not that interested in Europe other than Ireland, his focus is containing China
    Biden's not that interested in Ireland.

He's done far more with our PM than he has with the Taoiseach and that will continue despite rumblings to the contrary because the UK is actually useful when it comes to containing China and to be frank Dublin is not.

Biden's got far more serious concerns on his plate than dealing with Ireland right now.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

But what do you think should be done about it? Biden has made it clear the direction of traffic. So what do you propose should be done about it?
This discussion has been closed.