Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

18 year old Raducnu now 90% favourite to win the SPOTY election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Scott_xP said:

Oh, come on. Her parents had all this planned. Just look at her name: Emma Raducanu.

E R

So obviously a tribute to Her Majesty.

:)

Her name is interesting. I have a Scottish friend who married a Korean woman, and they had some trouble finding a name for their daughter that sounded good in both languages.

So a Chinese mother and Romanian father pick a quintessentially English name...
    Huh? Quintessentially English?

Origin: Ancient Germanic, Ancient Scandinavian, Old Norse, Italian, and Modern Scandinavian (wiki)
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

At the moment Emma won last night I said

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Forget politics this is just the best'

This is a young lady who has so much talent, is mature beyond her years, and speaks with such intelligence some of the commentary on here today has demeaned her and I am sad to have read it

A strange comment. From what I've read on here, everybody has said how marvellous her victory was, and how delightful a person she seems to be. So I'm not sure who's meant to have demeaned her. Quite the opposite.
    Leon has been disgusting.
    Did PB's IQ drop sharply while I was away?
    Average IQ, or median?
    Median is average.
    Average is more usually equated with mean. Median and mode are different
    Most people usually associate it with the mean, but a lot of the time the median is more useful.
    Agree - I much prefer median. But I don’t call it the average
    I bet you do, I bet you just don't think about it when you do.

On average how many legs does a spider have? The mean average would be less than 8, for the same reason the mean average for people is less than 2.

Median is perfectly legitimate use of the word average, it just depends upon circumstances which is more applicable and if you need to be specific you should probably specify which average you mean.
    Wasnt there some programme that attempted to find the average Australian by taking the average of about 10 characteristics and then finding a aussie that had them all - Turns out there was not one single one.
    As in, if we have 5 blokes 5'10" and 5 blokes 6' then we have nobody who is 5'11"? Wowzer. Good programme.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    edited September 2021
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Maybe there is a panic about the loss of the Tory poll lead and BoJo's rating collapse

What did they expect ? Surely they have advisers who would have been able to foresee this.
    I honestly don't think they did see it, the Tory party just seems to have forgotten how difficult it is to be a young worker on £18-40k all over the country. They've become the party of the comfortable and wealthy (people like me, ostensibly) who have no social conscience (so really only people like HYFUD). No one at the top table has any insight into the life of a 20 or 30 something living in a shared house paying shit loads in rent from income that is taxed far too much and is therefore unable to get on the property ladder.
    Yet the Tories lost under 45 year olds even in 2019. Some of that age group will also benefit from a gift from their parents or inheritance from their grandparents to help with a deposit.

Post Brexit it is over 45 year olds who won the Tories most seats in 2017 and 2019 as younger Remainers have gone to Labour or the LDs. While Cameron won workers over 35 in 2010 and when he won a majority in 2015, May and Boris only won most seats in 2017 and a majority in 2019 due to those 45 and over year olds ie mainly non workers and particularly pensioners who they won by far more than Cameron did after the collapse of UKIP and gains from Labour Leavers.

Indeed according to the latest Yougov there has been a bigger shift from the Tories amongst over 65s due to the freeze in the triple lock than amongst 25 to 49 year olds over the NI rise.

For the record I lived in a shared house in the West Midlands and Welsh border for most of my early 30s on an average salary.
    You understand how marginal losses work though. Losing 38-35 is an election winning score for the Tories and implies a winning the top of the category (which you did). Losing 50-25 is Labour 300+ seats.

You can bang on about how a plurality of Tory voters support raising taxes on workers as much as you like, it's Boris' poll tax and it's going to lose you the election.
    It isn't, if the Tories had not lost any votes from over 65s over the triple lock freeze, they would still have a clear enough lead for a narrow 1992 style majority even despite any losses from under 45s over the NI rise.

At the moment it is the triple lock freeze which will cost Boris his majority, not the NI rise. The big move has not been to Labour and the LDs but to RefUK and DK amongst the over 65s.

I warned about the dangers of not delivering the commitment to increase the triple lock on our core vote beforehand.

The NI rise is regrettable but necessary to fund extra funds for the NHS post Covid and social care and hopefully taxes in income can then be cut before the next general election
    Sometimes governments have to do the right thing. We’ve borrowed a shed load of money, due to COVID. The over 65’s have to bear their share of the cost of adjustment.
    The tories should be reducing taxation not increasing public spending , otherwise they may as well not exist as who wants a party that increases public spending AND loves feudalism at the same time . If you tax anything tax wealth not income
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,138

It is a pity my stint as editor of PB has come to an end.

If I was still editing PB I would be publishing a piece entitled.

'Is Covid-19 pandemic the only way to keep the United Kingdom together?'

A second referendum on Scottish independence will not be held until all day-to-day Covid restrictions have been lifted, Nicola Sturgeon has said.

The first minister has repeatedly pledged to hold another poll by the end of 2023, but only if the public health crisis is over.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/12/no-independence-referendum-until-covid-restrictions-lifted-sturgeon-says?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

That is at least more original than some of the stuff on the newspapers, not to mention PB. Rather sorry you didn't put out as many indyref pieces as you had hoped - but with someone like Mr Johnson in charge, events overtake one ...

A second referendum on Scottish independence will not be held until all day-to-day Covid restrictions have been lifted, Nicola Sturgeon has said.

The first minister has repeatedly pledged to hold another poll by the end of 2023, but only if the public health crisis is over.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/12/no-independence-referendum-until-covid-restrictions-lifted-sturgeon-says?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

HYUFD calling Porton Down...HYUFD calling Porton Down...
  • Rudy Giuliani taking the piss out of Elizabeth Windsor at 9/11 memorial dinner. Classy.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

This is a young lady who has so much talent, is mature beyond her years, and speaks with such intelligence some of the commentary on here today has demeaned her and I am sad to have read it

A strange comment. From what I've read on here, everybody has said how marvellous her victory was, and how delightful a person she seems to be. So I'm not sure who's meant to have demeaned her. Quite the opposite.
    Average IQ, or median?
    Median is average.
    Most people usually associate it with the mean, but a lot of the time the median is more useful.

On average how many legs does a spider have? The mean average would be less than 8, for the same reason the mean average for people is less than 2.

Median is perfectly legitimate use of the word average, it just depends upon circumstances which is more applicable and if you need to be specific you should probably specify which average you mean.
    Well the Cambridge University Dictiobary seems to think the average is the mean

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/average

Most people I come across use mean/median to avoid confusion, but whenever they say “average” they are referring to the mean. And since language is about communication I’d recommend going with the flow.
    Are decimals allowed or are we using whole numbers with rounding?

Also what is the definition of a leg, and what happens if the leg has been amputated above / below the knee?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited September 2021

No as this UK government will refuse one anyway.

Though clearly Sturgeon does not want one anytime soon, hence this is her latest excuse for putting it off
  • HYUFD said:

Though clearly Sturgeon does not want one anytime soon, hence this is her latest excuse for putting it off
    Saw this on ebay and thought of you.

• FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

So you're saying you support the SNP leader's position? Here you go: https://www.snp.org/join/member/
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,721
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Average IQ, or median?
    I think IQ is a standardised scale where by definition the median = 100. So actually it can't drop, except in local pockets relative to the whole population.

But anyway, my reference was to the director's cut of PB's fave movie. Check it out.
    There’s a director’s cut of Die Hard?
    Die Hard is PB's favourite Christmas movie.
  • As none of us has mentioned the Men's Singles Final at Flushing Toilets I can only conclude that there aren't any actual tennis fans on PB.

Djokovic behind btw.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eek said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Average IQ, or median?
    Median is average.

Well the Cambridge University Dictiobary seems to think the average is the mean

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/average

Most people I come across use mean/median to avoid confusion, but whenever they say “average” they are referring to the mean. And since language is about communication I’d recommend going with the flow.
    Are decimals allowed or are we using whole numbers with rounding?

Also what is the definition of a leg, and what happens if the leg has been amputated above / below the knee?
    I would refer you to Lord Uxbridge’s Leg

Rudy Giuliani taking the piss out of Elizabeth Windsor at 9/11 memorial dinner. Classy.

“She said, ‘You did a wonderful job on Sept. 11,” he said in an apparent attempt at a British accent.

“And therefore I’m making you an honorary knight, commander of the royal something or other,” he said, trailing off and reverting to his normal speaking voice.

He added, “I turned down a knighthood because if you took a knighthood, you had to lose your citizenship.”

https://nypost.com/2021/09/12/rudy-giuliani-goes-on-rant-during-9-11-memorial-dinner/

Not sure if that really counts as taking the piss
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

So you're saying you support the SNP leader's position? Here you go: https://www.snp.org/join/member/
    Well as far as Salmond and Alba are concerned Sturgeon is as Unionist as Westminster
  • Interesting, to me at least, that Romanian press have been following Raducanu's career for at least 3 years, as a Romanian origin player.
    https://www.libertatea.ro/sport/emma-raducanu-si-bianca-andreescu-in-calificari-la-wimbledon-2307142

..the earliest mention I've found of her is from nearly six years ago in the Liverpool Echo when at just thirteen (she applied on her 13th birthday, the youngest age allowed) she became the youngest ever winner of an ITF U18 competition

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/other-sport/tennis/tennis-teenager-makes-history-liverpool-10479751
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Well as far as Salmond and Alba are concerned Sturgeon is as Unionist as Westminster
    Even more unionist than you, I reckon
  • HYUFD said:

Rudy Giuliani taking the piss out of Elizabeth Windsor at 9/11 memorial dinner. Classy.

“She said, ‘You did a wonderful job on Sept. 11,” he said in an apparent attempt at a British accent.

“And therefore I’m making you an honorary knight, commander of the royal something or other,” he said, trailing off and reverting to his normal speaking voice.

He added, “I turned down a knighthood because if you took a knighthood, you had to lose your citizenship.”

https://nypost.com/2021/09/12/rudy-giuliani-goes-on-rant-during-9-11-memorial-dinner/

Rank dumbassery since afaik an honorary knighthood exists exactly to allow citizens of other countries to be honoured. Suggests Rudy stopped looking at the small print a long time ago.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited September 2021
    HYUFD said:

He's losing it as he actually accepted the knighthood, in person.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/feb/13/september11.usa

Video available

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9982931/Rudy-Giuliani-mocks-Queen-Elizabeths-British-accent-calls-military-officer-idiot.html

He's being a twat but doesn't look or sound drunk to me.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

As none of us has mentioned the Men's Singles Final at Flushing Toilets I can only conclude that there aren't any actual tennis fans on PB.

Djokovic behind btw.

Don’t have Prime. Hope the anti vaxxer loses.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

I thought pre the election a lot of the stuff was trying to square the circle of dealing with Trumps craziness....but it isn't, he is also bat shit crazy.
  • Not Ranucanu'd out yet.. I just found this, my favourite, picture of her serving in the QF

• California is asking the federal government to declare an “electric reliability emergency” so they can lean more heavily on fossil fuels to avoid blackouts

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-09/california-seeks-to-avert-blackouts-by-burning-more-fossil-fuels

Hearts of stone and all that... This is hilarious
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited September 2021
    On topic. Just backed Tom Daley at 14s (bf).

I think once the understandable and deserved excitement of Emma has died down people will view Daley's achievement as being worthy of the award.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

No. That's Sturgeon keeping the UK together.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

HYUFD said:

Rank dumbassery since afaik an honorary knighthood exists exactly to allow citizens of other countries to be honoured. Suggests Rudy stopped looking at the small print a long time ago.
    I can't quite figure out if he is just plain losing touch with reality, with all the spurious 'legal' arguments and conspiracies, or if he's on some weird late life crisis where is feels validated by the cheers of utter cretins.

Really? I shall try to be more kindly disposed toward her.
  • IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Average IQ, or median?
    Median is average.
    I find it helpful to use "number of legs (as a human)" as a test case. I have more than the mean, spot on the mode, and I'm not sure there even is a median.
    You'd surely have spot on for the median for the same reason as you have the mode, even if it is above the mean average?
    Yes (but not for the same reason).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median is very lucid.
    If over 50% of a population have the same figure, then by definition it must be both the mean and median average.
    Not the mean, surely? If a million people had two legs and one person had 1, the mean would be something like 1.99999.
    Typo I clearly meant modal and median, since I'd already said mean is different.

Hence why mode and median are both the same answer, for the same reason. Since over half the population has 2 legs, 2 legs must by definition be both the modal (most common) and median (in the middle) average.

Mean average will be less than 2.
    Mode and median don't have to be the same.

22223456789 has a mode of 2 and a median of 4.
    You dropped the conditional. I said if over 50% of the population has the same figure, then the mode and median do have to the be the same. In your example 2 was only 4/11 so not over 50%.

If your series were 22222256789 then 2 would need to be both median and mode since its over 50% of the population.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I can't quite figure out if he is just plain losing touch with reality, with all the spurious 'legal' arguments and conspiracies, or if he's on some weird late life crisis where is feels validated by the cheers of utter cretins.
    Never discount age-associated cognitive decline. People don't usually want to talk about it, but it's real.
  • What happened this morning with vaxports?

Seems to have been a sudden switch.

Did Javid threaten to resign over something he clearly hated? Gove overruled by PM under pressure? Just a thought.

Something happened imho.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849

Not Ranucanu'd out yet.. I just found this, my favourite, picture of her serving in the QF

Her outfit looks a bit like the Romanian flag.
  • kinabalu said:

Not Ranucanu'd out yet.. I just found this, my favourite, picture of her serving in the QF

And why not? I’m sure that she’s very proud of her heritage, and that Romanians are very proud of her.
  • RobD said:

HYUFD said:

After the ceremony, Mr Giuliani arrived for lunch with the Lord Mayor of London and the Duke of York at Mansion House.
  • TOPPING said:

On topic. Just backed Tom Daley at 14s (bf).

I think once the understandable and deserved excitement of Emma has died down people will view Daley's achievement as being worthy of the award.

Decent price. Certainly worth a punt. I'm not sure though whether the papers wont whip for Emma when the vote gets close.
  • RobD said:

HYUFD said:

After the ceremony, Mr Giuliani arrived for lunch with the Lord Mayor of London and the Duke of York at Mansion House.
    Tossers salad was served.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Average IQ, or median?
    Median is average.

Wasnt there some programme that attempted to find the average Australian by taking the average of about 10 characteristics and then finding a aussie that had them all - Turns out there was not one single one.
    The US airforce famously had this problem when designing cockpits for their aircraft.

They designed for the "average" physical characteristics of their pilots. They later discovered even with pretty large bounds on the range "average" covered for each characteristics that zero pilots were average in every category.

If you limited it to just 3 of the 10 measurements then less than 5% of pilots would be average in those 3 categories.

Completely changed how airplane cockpits for jets were designed.

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/01/16/when-us-air-force-discovered-the-flaw-of-averages.html
  • kinabalu said:

Just imagine 12 of her moving in next door to you.
    Unfortunately certain PBers have already started doing this.
    Leon wouldn't be complaining....
  • kinabalu said:

And why not? I’m sure that she’s very proud of her heritage, and that Romanians are very proud of her.
    I thought so too, but apparently she just likes the colour red best and it was the red Nike one she liked the most.
  • We aren't doing dress-gate AGAIN are we.....face palm....
  • isamisam Posts: 40,729

kinabalu said:

Leave wouldn't have won the referendum!
    kle4 said:

Well, look at it objectively. What restrictions are still currently in place? Most of them were lifted in August.

The restrictions on physical distancing and limits to the size of social gatherings have been removed, and nightclubs are allowed to reopen.

Facemasks in shops and on trains and in secondary schools - hardly seems like a reason why an independence referendum can't happen.

Giving details to businesses to comply with track and trace - ditto.

2m distancing remains but only in healthcare settings - ditto.

You had 50,000 fans at the Old Firm game, 50,000 at TRNSMT. OK, there might need to be some applications for permissions for those and perhaps a vaxport in October (maybes), but again, how's it stopping indyref2?

No, it's just another nebulous reason why they can continue to talk about wanting indyref2 but not actually wanting indyref2.

It's in the first half of the parliament, but it's before the end of 2023, but it's after covid restrictions, but only if the NHS isn't under "pressure". It's not exactly subtle bullshitting now.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    edited September 2021
    Yes, that lines up exactly with what my cousin said on timing of it.

He's been told that everyone in groups 1-9 will be contacted 6 months after their second dose and that groups 10-12 will also be eligible but not actively contacted. Everyone gets the opposite of what they had last time unless there are specific heart conditions for Pfizer recipients or blood clotting issues for AZ recipients.

Scott_xP said:

Oh, come on. Her parents had all this planned. Just look at her name: Emma Raducanu.

E R

So obviously a tribute to Her Majesty.

:)

Her name is interesting. I have a Scottish friend who married a Korean woman, and they had some trouble finding a name for their daughter that sounded good in both languages.

So a Chinese mother and Romanian father pick a quintessentially English name...
    Huh? Quintessentially English?

Origin: Ancient Germanic, Ancient Scandinavian, Old Norse, Italian, and Modern Scandinavian (wiki)
    I don't think origins necessarily prevent a name from being being associated quintessentially with somewhere else. Whether Emma falls into the category I have no idea, I suppose it would depend how common a name it is in other places.
  • Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    I think you have to be very privileged to live in London and not realise the city has a major problem with specifically Romanian gangs committing crime.

Yes it is to do with the fact they are Romanian, it is ingrained within a lot of traveller cultures, and to deny is to have your head in the sand, it is not just because they are young and poor and men and poorly educated.
  • kinabalu said:

Sean’s frothing over.

kinabalu said:

Just kidding around. Reference to the scenes on PT.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Johnson's 10 point poll lead over Labour restored.

Labour jabber, Boris jabs.

Unnecessarily, says the actual inventor of the vaccine.
    edited September 2021
    Quite a U-turn... hopefully this isn't just to keep his backbenchers onside.

Monday's TELEGRAPH: Johnson to rip up Covid restrictions
    #TomorrowsPapersToday https://t.co/h9EzRbuJZD
  • No way she doesn't win SPOTY...

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Dame Sarah Gilbert?

We all know who really invented the vaccines. We saw him in his labcoat, in the lab... Inventing vaccines.
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

All Romanians are clones of her, of course.

And with the best will in the world I can't think of any theory which says that she is anything other than Canadian or British, as anything other than racism.

kle4 said:

Well, look at it objectively. What restrictions are still currently in place? Most of them were lifted in August.

The restrictions on physical distancing and limits to the size of social gatherings have been removed, and nightclubs are allowed to reopen.

Facemasks in shops and on trains and in secondary schools - hardly seems like a reason why an independence referendum can't happen.

You had 50,000 fans at the Old Firm game, 50,000 at TRNSMT. OK, there might need to be some applications for permissions for those and perhaps a vaxport in October (maybes), but again, how's it stopping indyref2?

No, it's just another nebulous reason why they can continue to talk about wanting indyref2 but not actually wanting indyref2.

It's in the first half of the parliament, but it's before the end of 2023, but it's after covid restrictions, but only if the NHS isn't under "pressure". It's not exactly subtle bullshitting now.
    If the SNP were pushing for an immediate referendum, you can be certain that opponents of independence would be using the fact there's still a pandemic on as a attack line. And that attack line would have huge traction.
    Pushing hard on a referendum now would be a huge gift to those who oppose independence.
  • Quite a U-turn...

That chat with the Chief Whip this afternoon must have been interesting as the feedback from the shires comes in.

• Quite a U-turn...

That chat with the Chief Whip this afternoon must have been interesting as the feedback from the shires comes in.

I'm getting my ear plugs ready for iSAGE response.....
  • Oh God, Johnson is "dead set" against another lockdown.

Why am I filled with a sense of dread?
  • kinabalu said:

The Romanian flag isn't white and gold.
  • Quite a U-turn...

I'm getting my ear plugs ready for iSAGE response.....
    "Uniquely dangerous experiment that exposes the whole world to human extinction level variant"?

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Average IQ, or median?
    Median is average.
    I find it helpful to use "number of legs (as a human)" as a test case. I have more than the mean, spot on the mode, and I'm not sure there even is a median.
    You'd surely have spot on for the median for the same reason as you have the mode, even if it is above the mean average?

If over 50% of a population have the same figure, then by definition it must be both the mean and median average.
    Not the mean, surely? If a million people had two legs and one person had 1, the mean would be something like 1.99999.
    Typo I clearly meant modal and median, since I'd already said mean is different.

Hence why mode and median are both the same answer, for the same reason. Since over half the population has 2 legs, 2 legs must by definition be both the modal (most common) and median (in the middle) average.

You dropped the conditional. I said if over 50% of the population has the same figure, then the mode and median do have to the be the same. In your example 2 was only 4/11 so not over 50%.

If your series were 22222256789 then 2 would need to be both median and mode since its over 50% of the population.
    HBF
  • No way she doesn't win SPOTY...

She's going to be a fucking huge star.

She's already done Vogue (between her QF and SF).

https://www.vogue.co.uk/arts-and-lifestyle/article/emma-raducanu-interview
    Nunu3 said:

I think you have to be very privileged to live in London and not realise the city has a major problem with specifically Romanian gangs committing crime.

Yes it is to do with the fact they are Romanian, it is ingrained within a lot of traveller cultures, and to deny is to have your head in the sand, it is not just because they are young and poor and men and poorly educated.

Hahahaha, oh my god
    IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

And with the best will in the world I can't think of any theory which says that she is anything other than Canadian or British, as anything other than racism.
    Well the quote was "Just imagine 12 of her moving in next door to you.", so the context was clones of her
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

If the SNP were pushing for an immediate referendum, you can be certain that opponents of independence would be using the fact there's still a pandemic on as a attack line. And that attack line would have huge traction.
    Pushing hard on a referendum now would be a huge gift to those who oppose independence.
    Of course there's no way opponents of independence wouldn't just fall back on any of the other three hundred reasons they've been pushing for years as to why there shouldn't be an independence referendum.

But it's by the by. Post-covid the SNP will find another reason to say why there should be another independence referendum, just not today. Probably because there will be some other sort of election about to happen.
    isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Well the quote was "Just imagine 12 of her moving in next door to you.", so the context was clones of her
    Well yes, but what makes that a valid thought experiment?

Vaccine gluttony?
    I just hope that Emma Raducanu has stayed off Twitter. This argument about whether or not she's secretly Romanian is both patronising and racist. Why is it impossible to celebrate her victory and potentially amazing career she's got ahead of her without bringing race into it?
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Average IQ, or median?
    Median is average.

HBF
    Harsh but fair, I hasten to clarify, now that I see that glossed as "hand butt fuck" by the internet. What will they think of next?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,237
    Someone is sneaking into my flat, while I am away, to cook light Arabic themed luncheons
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,138

HYUFD said:

Saw this on ebay and thought of you.

Ooh! A Mark 2! Not a common variant at all.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

kinabalu said:

Selling the Big Issue?
    IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

I think they call it a "joke"
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Average IQ, or median?
    Median is average.

HBF
    Harsh but fair, I hasten to clarify, now that I see that glossed as "hand butt fuck" by the internet. What will they think of next?
    LOL

That means "Lots Of Love" according to David Cameron.
    MaxPB said:

I just hope that Emma Raducanu has stayed off Twitter. This argument about whether or not she's secretly Romanian is both patronising and racist. Why is it impossible to celebrate her victory and potentially amazing career she's got ahead of her without bringing race into it?

Nothing good comes from Twitter.
    MaxPB said:

Judging by her social media, she very rarely used Twitter, and all she does there is make anodyne and pleasant statements about her friends, her country, the royals, English football, F1, and her A Levels. Immensely sensible

Her bigger presence is on Insta where she suddenly has 1.4m followers and is one of the biggest tennis stars on the planet already. If the Chinese really take to this Mandarin speaking teenager, she will own the world. Plus Tik Tok
    MaxPB said:

What's the secret? Her Dad is Romanian, so of course she both is, and is proud of being, part Romanian. Same way 3/4 of my girlfriends Grandparents were Irish, and she considers herself part Irish.
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Judging by her social media, she very rarely used Twitter, and all she does there is make anodyne and pleasant statements about her friends, her country, the royals, English football, F1, and her A Levels. Immensely sensible

Her bigger presence is on Insta where she suddenly has 1.4m followers and is one of the biggest tennis stars on the planet already. If the Chinese really take to this Mandarin speaking teenager, she will own the world. Plus Tik Tok
    Da kidz don't do twitter.....all about the gram and tik tok.

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Of course there's no way opponents of independence wouldn't just fall back on any of the other three hundred reasons they've been pushing for years as to why there shouldn't be an independence referendum.

But it's by the by. Post-covid the SNP will find another reason to say why there should be another independence referendum, just not today. Probably because there will be some other sort of election about to happen.
    Perhaps. My guess is that it happens before the end of 2025. And I think Yes will win.
    But I'm not tying up my money in any bets on it, yet. I've got better things to do with my money in the interim.

kinabalu said:

The Romanian flag isn't white and gold.
    What does it look like? I'm almost moved to find out.
    isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

I think they call it a "joke"
    But what makes it a valid joke?

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Prediction: there won't be another indyref before 2030, now. Too many mad obstacles, and the momentum is dying
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

No way she doesn't win SPOTY...

She's going to be a fucking huge star.

She's already done Vogue (between her QF and SF).

https://www.vogue.co.uk/arts-and-lifestyle/article/emma-raducanu-interview
    Red and black. So an anarchist.
    MaxPB said:

There's also a huge debate about Fernandez's complaining about the MTO.

Although she has now said it happened in the heat of the moment it hasn't stopped Twitter holding forth.

Both late-teen girls who have done brilliantly. Welcome to the social media age which admittedly they grew up in but which must be harsh nevertheless.

Oh God, Johnson is "dead set" against another lockdown.

There won't be another lockdown. PLEASE listen to me for once.
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Yes I've followed her on Instagram along with what feels like half of my Instagram followers. If she actually does it herself it might be interesting, if it's just over managed and sanitised content loads of people will unfollow in a few weeks.
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Yes I've followed her on Instagram along with what feels like half of my Instagram followers. If she actually does it herself it might be interesting, if it's just over managed and sanitised content loads of people will unfollow in a few weeks.
    Don't most young famous people now have their public social media accounts managed for them?
  • kinabalu said:

Vaccine gluttony?
    We have been quite the vaccine gluttons, which I think is quite reasonable for one of the worst affected (in admitted deaths, hospitalisations and infections) countries in the world.

We also tried our best to make the vaccine for the poor in the world.

Unfortunately this noble effort was hamstrung by the deliberate, idiotic, and frankly evil, actions of Macron, the EU (NB NOT the EMA, given the fine institution that they've proven themselves to be), and the FDA (who clearly have their nuts held by US Pharma)
    isam said:

MaxPB said:

What's the secret? Her Dad is Romanian, so of course she both is, and is proud of being, part Romanian. Same way 3/4 of my girlfriends Grandparents were Irish, and she considers herself part Irish.
    Well indeed, but reading Twitter it's apparently some massive secret and she's not really British and it might finally be that one thing that reverses the leave vote. 🤷‍♂️
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    edited September 2021
    kinabalu said:

Oh God, Johnson is "dead set" against another lockdown.

There won't be another lockdown. PLEASE listen to me for once.
    I was being a bit flippant based on Johnson's repeated statements that X and Y would or would not happen during the plague years. e.g. "Xmas is definitely on - get grandpa a train ticket booked"

I think you are right, but I'm interested as to what's your reasoning?
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

Well indeed, but reading Twitter it's apparently some massive secret and she's not really British and it might finally be that one thing that reverses the leave vote. 🤷‍♂️
    Outside of social media loons, i think most people saw a nice young lady playing some cracking tennis....and that was about it.

Same way as nobody was going through the detailed familiar background of every footballer in the Euros or the medalists in the Olympics.

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Don't most young famous people now have their public social media accounts managed for them?
    Yes, there's a few notable exceptions like Lewis Hamilton who definitely dies his own stuff as it has spelling errors sometimes.
    MaxPB said:

How it always starts on here is always the same: someone with a foreign born parent wins something and everyone is delighted, and then some weapons-grade cocksucker comes along and says Hur Hur Hur, isn't it funny how all the people who object to furriners (spelt thus, because of how clever and funny that is) don't object to this particular furriner? And that's such an original and insightful point that a vigorous and good natured debate naturally ensues.
  • Leon said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Prediction: there won't be another indyref before 2030, now. Too many mad obstacles, and the momentum is dying
    Like they've run out of oil?

(Ducks and runs for the door..)
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Good for her. Let it stay sanitised and boring. She is just 18. She should steer entirely clear of politics and religion and Woke and anything like that. I doubt people will unfollow her. Fangirls will stan her to the edge of the universe

She'll get 10m followers within a year, if she carries on winning
  • Monday's TIMES: Huawei 'infiltrates' Cambridge
    #TomorrowsPapersToday https://t.co/CZxLmXmde3
  • Leon said:

Someone is sneaking into my flat, while I am away, to cook light Arabic themed luncheons

Ok, you've lost me now.
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

There's a notion at large that Sturgeon doesn't want indy, she just wants to dominate a devolved but never quite leaving Scotland. I find this odd and not supported by anything other than a presumed ability to divine her deepest inner thoughts and see that they are totally at odds with everything she has ever said.
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, there's a few notable exceptions like Lewis Hamilton who definitely dies his own stuff as it has spelling errors sometimes.
    Do you think Marcus does his own? I noticed a your/you're error in one of his (message of support to Emma that she RTd) earlier. Didn't notice a single grammatical error in any of hers (@HYUFD is that the point of grammar school?)
This discussion has been closed.