Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

18 year old Raducnu now 90% favourite to win the SPOTY election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

eek said:

F1. Can we go back to discussing the colour of Emma's kit?

Sold out in the UK apart from the white version that Emma didn't wear.
    I hope Leon got his order in early.
    I meant for his daughter, naturally.
    You don't know, he might look good in a wonder woman outfit....its 2021 after all.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

Has she lost her mind? Exactly WHO is advising her?

"Emma Raducanu set to earn £150m as she shelves plan to study law at university"

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1437091335979380740?s=20

Someone very shrewd. Lifetime earnings in tennis for her will top $100m at least. No law career will come close to that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Who gets nominated for SPoTY will be fascinating. I suspect Raducanu's victory means the shortlist might be quite a bit shorter than it was going to be. I reckon we could be looking at something like:

Emma Raducanu
    Tom Daley
    Adam Peaty
    Max Whitlock
    Sarah Storey
    Lewis Hamilton (if he has a chance of the title at the time of the nominations)

The ones that I'm really struggling with are the Kennys and Joe Root. Really they ought to be nominated, but I don't think they will.

In fact, I wonder if Tom Daley might not get nominated. Not impossible.

The only way Root is nominated is if the Ashes are brought forward and England win them before nominations close.

Neither eventuality seems likely to happen.
    I think Root might be nominated for his own performance this year.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

"Emma Raducanu set to earn £150m as she shelves plan to study law at university"

Someone very shrewd. Lifetime earnings in tennis for her will top $100m at least. No law career will come close to that.
    I was joking. Exciting as a law career can be, £150m in a few years would tempt me, too
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Who gets nominated for SPoTY will be fascinating. I suspect Raducanu's victory means the shortlist might be quite a bit shorter than it was going to be. I reckon we could be looking at something like:

Emma Raducanu
    Tom Daley
    Adam Peaty
    Max Whitlock
    Sarah Storey

The ones that I'm really struggling with are the Kennys and Joe Root. Really they ought to be nominated, but I don't think they will.

The only way Root is nominated is if the Ashes are brought forward and England win them before nominations close.

Nah not after that series against India.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Emma Raducanu
    Tom Daley
    Adam Peaty
    Max Whitlock
    Sarah Storey

Batting wise he’s immense and had a great year. As a captain, less so, although he has a weak team, batting wise at least.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Will Hutton went there. He actually went there. Take of the day. I, for one. salute this tweet:

"Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton

Bit by bit the Brexit case collapses. Afghanistan foretells a new era of America First. Xi’s Chinese menace grows. And now Emma Radacanu’s tennis brilliance, fearful of nothing -daughter of immigrants- is testimony to the value of openness. We need to stand with and in an open EU"

https://twitter.com/williamnhutton/status/1437043854612500480?s=20

AND he spelled her name wrong

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    edited September 2021
    tlg86 said:

Emma Raducanu
    Tom Daley
    Adam Peaty
    Max Whitlock
    Sarah Storey

If you believe the box-ticking theories then the BBC will want someone from three or all four home nations, gay and straight, and not too hideously White.

If they give cyclists (or swimmers) team of the year then that clears a lot of names off the main list.

But you can pick any name out of the hat and make a strong case. For instance, and just for illustration, not in any sense tips:-
    Jason Kenny: most successful Olympian
    Laura Kenny: most sucessful female Olympian
    Duncan Scott: most medals at a single Olympics
    and so on.

I'm staying out until we see the shortlist because I think there are a couple of less likely nominees who could attract powerful block votes on the night (and because I'm not piling into a 10s-on shot three months away).

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021

tlg86 said:

Emma Raducanu
    Tom Daley
    Adam Peaty
    Max Whitlock
    Sarah Storey

If you believe the box-ticking theories then the BBC will want someone from three or all four home nations, gay and straight, and not too hideously White.

If they give cyclists (or swimmers) team of the year then that clears a lot of names off the main list.

But you can pick any name out of the hat and make a strong case. For instance, and just for illustration, not in any sense tips:-
    and so on.

I'm staying out until we see the shortlist because I think there are a couple of less likely nominees who could attract powerful block votes on the night (and because I'm not piling into a 10s-on shot three months away).

I feel a bit sorry for all the paralympics, despite crushing it, it has all been rather over shadowed by everything else.

It hardly got a mention that Ellie Simmonds retired.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

eek said:

Maybe I am just reading too much into it, but were her white trainers, worn as they were with her red and blue dress, a nod to her belief in the Union?
    And her white teeth. I sensed that was a hint of allegiance to the white of the cross of St George?
    Possible.

Just dawned on me that her Red, Yellow and Blue outfit was obviously a signal that she considers the the three main political parties in England as equally legitimate
    When I worked at the ONS on the 2011 Census, we were told that they avoided red, yellow or blue for the colour scheme so as to appear politically neutral. What did they go with? Ukip purple. :lol:
    Shrewdies!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Will Hutton went there. He actually went there. Take of the day. I, for one. salute this tweet:

"Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton

Bit by bit the Brexit case collapses. Afghanistan foretells a new era of America First. Xi’s Chinese menace grows. And now Emma Radacanu’s tennis brilliance, fearful of nothing -daughter of immigrants- is testimony to the value of openness. We need to stand with and in an open EU"

Lol, these people are mental. It's a tennis match. Same types that would "joke" about an EU Olympic team on the medal table.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

"Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton

Lol, these people are mental. It's a tennis match. Same types that would "joke" about an EU Olympic team on the medal table.
    I read somewhere that the numbers doing psychology degrees is up...going to be no shortly of work for them.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Leon said:

And her white teeth. I sensed that was a hint of allegiance to the white of the cross of St George?

And vertical stripe of blood.

That's commitment
  • Options
    She’s won £2.5million, if she wins another slam she’ll be the only teenager who can put a deposit on a flat in London.
    https://twitter.com/mrmarksteel/status/1436827045590413317
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Emma Raducanu
    Tom Daley
    Adam Peaty
    Max Whitlock
    Sarah Storey

Batting wise he’s immense and had a great year. As a captain, less so, although he has a weak team, batting wise at least.
    Yes, but how many people are rewarded for extraordinary performances in weak teams that keep losing?

If that were the way it worked Atherton would have won it about six times.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Leon said:

"Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton

What a prat.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Emma Raducanu
    Tom Daley
    Adam Peaty
    Max Whitlock
    Sarah Storey

and so on.

I think there is an element of box ticking, that's why I think Emma's win means the list might be a bit shorter than it was going to be. I'm not sure about the need to have someone from Scotland, but my candidates are all English. It may be that they do want a non-English candidate (obviously, Andy Murray helped for many years). Duncan Scott could be nominated for that reason and if you think the Scotland vote matters, then backing him for the top 3 might be wise.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

"Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton

What a prat.
    Well we knew that well before that tweet.....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mr. kle4, crashed out more makes it sound like his fault. Even if you believe that of Silverstone, in Azerbaijan it was bad luck (no warning tyre failure) and in Hungary it was a result of Bottas.

Mr. Jessop, that's a very fair point. He should've left it for the next part of the lap and would likely have passed.

Mr. Eagles, Hamilton hit him from behind, and got a penalty so severe it didn't stop him winning the race.

How you equate that to the FIA unfairly helping Verstappen is a challenge to the notions of reason and logic almost the equal of your unique perspective on the relative merits of Hannibal and Caesar in the field of generalship.

Every marginal decision incrementally benefits Verstappen

Like that farce of a race in Belgium that put him first and Hamilton third
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Talking of prats I see Prof Peston has apologised, but not really.....apologised for offense called if people thought he was being antivax, and of course left up the horseshit tweets for good measure.

He can't just admit he was flat out wrong.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

And vertical stripe of blood.

That's commitment
    Oh, come on. Her parents had all this planned. Just look at her name: Emma Raducanu.

E R

So obviously a tribute to Her Majesty.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Leon said:

"Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton

So we should be filing her victory under "despite Brexit"?
  • Options

Oh, come on. Her parents had all this planned. Just look at her name: Emma Raducanu.

E R

:)

Her name is interesting. I have a Scottish friend who married a Korean woman, and they had some trouble finding a name for their daughter that sounded good in both languages.

So a Chinese mother and Romanian father pick a quintessentially English name...
  • Options

Talking of prats I see Prof Peston has apologised, but not really.....apologised for offense called if people thought he was being antivax, and of course left up the horseshit tweets for good measure.

He can't just admit he was flat out wrong.

I think we know someone else like that !!!!!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

"Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton

I read somewhere that the numbers doing psychology degrees is up...going to be no shortly of work for them.
    What is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?

About £250 an hour.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ask this guy...

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

FPT

Unless I’m very much mistaken, the Chief Whip
    @Mark_Spencer
    just walked into No 10.

Plus Director of Communications Jack Doyle has now also arrived.

Strange for a Sunday afternoon…Eyes

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1437072810292269068

Boris blundering around trying to find someone to blame over the Tory poll lead collapse. Anyone but himself, of course.
    It turns out jacking up taxes and squeezing wages may not be a smart idea. Funny that.

Just been shopping and the price of petrol has now hit the highest I've ever seen. Just as lots of families are famously losing £20 per week. Now is the moment that Boris thought it a great idea to take more money out of our wages.

He doesn't deserve our vote and neither do the Tories, until they realise that wages are for people to keep to spend on what they need and not simply due to the Treasury to pay for those who aren't working.
    Out of interest how much is it ?

It’s 130p a litre at the local Sainsbury’s here.
    about 133p in West Wales for Derv

DERV

That’s a term that takes me back !
    I used to serve fuel in the 70s when I was in the 6th form (weekend job). Derv was the garage nickname for Diesel. I think it was an acronym for Diesel engined road vehicle, but I could be wrong. I used to earn 75p an hour. 4 Star cost 73p a gallon, 3 star 72.5p and 2 star 72p. Derv cost 75p a gallon.
    Brilliant. Never knew that was the acronym,
    Also to differentiate from less taxed Red Diesel, of course.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

She’s won £2.5million, if she wins another slam she’ll be the only teenager who can put a deposit on a flat in London.

Why do you tweet this nonsense
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Emma Raducanu
    Tom Daley
    Adam Peaty
    Max Whitlock
    Sarah Storey

and so on.

I feel a bit sorry for all the paralympics, despite crushing it, it has all been rather over shadowed by everything else.

I did my bit for the Paralympics on pb by posting occasional medals table updates through the night but, well, it was a bit after the Lord Mayor's Show. We were second. Second! Odd that America were behind us but I suppose the college base of their sporting programme is of less help here.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

E R

Her name is interesting. I have a Scottish friend who married a Korean woman, and they had some trouble finding a name for their daughter that sounded good in both languages.

A friend called his son 'Dexter'. He claims after the TV show...

(For those who don't know, the eponymous Dexter is a serial killer.)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

E R

It's almost as though they considered themselves Canadians...
  • Options
    edited September 2021

tlg86 said:

Emma Raducanu
    Tom Daley
    Adam Peaty
    Max Whitlock
    Sarah Storey

and so on.

I did my bit for the Paralympics on pb by posting occasional medals table updates through the night but, well, it was a bit after the Lord Mayor's Show. We were second. Second! Odd that America were behind us but I suppose the college base of their sporting programme is of less help here.
    I think the timezone plus due to covid much more limited media.presence.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

E R

It is common in China to have English names, possibly connected with how they teach English in schools but I can't remember. They tend to be quite old-fashioned, for instance Grace or, well, Emma.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Maybe there is a panic about the loss of the Tory poll lead and BoJo's rating collapse

What did they expect ? Surely they have advisers who would have been able to foresee this.
    I honestly don't think they did see it, the Tory party just seems to have forgotten how difficult it is to be a young worker on £18-40k all over the country. They've become the party of the comfortable and wealthy (people like me, ostensibly) who have no social conscience (so really only people like HYFUD). No one at the top table has any insight into the life of a 20 or 30 something living in a shared house paying shit loads in rent from income that is taxed far too much and is therefore unable to get on the property ladder.
    In terms of the key people, Rishi doesn't understand black of money and Boris doesn't understand money at all.

What they do understand is electoral dynamics, and a coalition centred on the old and comfortable that reaches out into the old and precarious (by culture war) and the younger and comfortable (don't worry, you'll still get your inheritance) is pretty damn formidable.
    It's much less formidable than they think, without working people aged between 30 and 50 a majority is out of reach and people in this age category aren't inheriting anything for another 10-30 years at least.

At least 3 members I know personally who campaigned for Leave in 2016 and Boris in 2019 have cancelled their membership and won't vote for the Tories until Boris is gone and the scope of this tax is widened to include retired people and unearned income. That's people who paid to campaign for the Tories for many years abandoning the party. Voters will be even less forgiving.
    Retired people who are giving up a 5.5% rise in pensions? So a contribution of about £393 so equivalent to the 1.25% on someone earning just over £31k

Seems pretty fair to me
    That's not in any way equivalent, working people are going to see their net income go down while older retired people will see them go up. The same old people who are now being handed billions so they can pass on their assets to their children without paying for the cost of their own care. The government has transferring wealth from young to old, it's supposed to go the other way with wealthy old people taxed so they stop accumulating assets and wealth they won't spend and will pass on to their already wealthy middle aged children.
    Not much of this is going to social care. Taxes are going up for everyone because they need to if we want to continue to spend this much
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

eek said:

Maybe I am just reading too much into it, but were her white trainers, worn as they were with her red and blue dress, a nod to her belief in the Union?
    Possible.

Just dawned on me that her Red, Yellow and Blue outfit was obviously a signal that she considers the the three main political parties in England as equally legitimate
    Although Yellow a lot smaller than the others
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

E R

Surely if that was the case Emma would have been called Anne ( of Green Gables)
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don't think she is going to .need a law degree
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Emma Raducanu
    Tom Daley
    Adam Peaty
    Max Whitlock
    Sarah Storey

and so on.

I think the timezone plus due to covid much more limited media.presence.
    Mainly the timezone I think because unless you follow it live, when commentators and presenters remind you, it can be hard for the 4-year fan to remember the details of the various classes. A bit like the yachting, I suppose. Paris in three years time should be big.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

FPT

Unless I’m very much mistaken, the Chief Whip
    @Mark_Spencer
    just walked into No 10.

Plus Director of Communications Jack Doyle has now also arrived.

Strange for a Sunday afternoon…Eyes

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1437072810292269068

Boris blundering around trying to find someone to blame over the Tory poll lead collapse. Anyone but himself, of course.
    It turns out jacking up taxes and squeezing wages may not be a smart idea. Funny that.

Just been shopping and the price of petrol has now hit the highest I've ever seen. Just as lots of families are famously losing £20 per week. Now is the moment that Boris thought it a great idea to take more money out of our wages.

He doesn't deserve our vote and neither do the Tories, until they realise that wages are for people to keep to spend on what they need and not simply due to the Treasury to pay for those who aren't working.
    Out of interest how much is it ?

It’s 130p a litre at the local Sainsbury’s here.
    about 133p in West Wales for Derv

DERV

That’s a term that takes me back !
    I used to serve fuel in the 70s when I was in the 6th form (weekend job). Derv was the garage nickname for Diesel. I think it was an acronym for Diesel engined road vehicle, but I could be wrong. I used to earn 75p an hour. 4 Star cost 73p a gallon, 3 star 72.5p and 2 star 72p. Derv cost 75p a gallon.
    Brilliant. Never knew that was the acronym,
    My dad was in building and demolition, and therefore had lots of plant. I had the DERV / red diesel distinction drummed into me from an early age, especially as the inspectors would occasionally pay a visit. The red diesel tanks were also very well signed.

I don't think we ever had an issue with it; but dad was always concerned it might.

He always said that the dye in red diesel could remain in the sediment in tanks and filters for years, meaning that it could be detected long after it had been put in.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

He might be onto something. Just think about the number of tennis balls you'd end up having in your garden.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited September 2021
    Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

Perfect, well done! The same mistake James O'Brien made 6-7 years ago

Farage was talking about something akin 12 Romanian construction workers living 3 a bedroom in a multiple occupancy, Raducanu's parents were a married couple with a young family. So the question isn't one of the nationality of the neighbour, but the set up of the household. Farages Gemran wife and kids were the obvious counterpoint to this at the time
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

He might be onto something. Just think about the number of tennis balls you'd end up having in your garden.
    There'd be nearly as many balls as he talks.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

Scott_xP said:

E R

It is common in China to have English names, possibly connected with how they teach English in schools but I can't remember. They tend to be quite old-fashioned, for instance Grace or, well, Emma.
    Yes, I worked for an hotel company out here, and the Chinese staff often had English nicknames. So you’d see “Yu Wan Ching (Sophie)” written on an HR form.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

Farage was talking about something akin 12 Romanian construction workers living 3 a bedroom in a multiple occupancy, Raducanu's parents were a married couple with a young family. So the question isn't one of the nationality of the neighbour, but the set up of the household. Farages Gemran wife and kids were the obvious counterpoint to this at the time
    Yeah, but you know what, he didn't have to specific a specific nationality onto it.

He could have said "a group of young men, who barely speak English, working for cash in hand in the construction industry, not paying taxes".

He chose to apply a specific nationality.

It was lazy stereotyping on his behalf. And, yes, it was racist.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

E R

You mean .... Canadiens.

She was born in Montreal.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

He could have easily replaced Romanian with '12 construction workers' if that was really his argument. Funny he didn't do that.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

E R

Yes, I worked for an hotel company out here, and the Chinese staff often had English nicknames. So you’d see “Yu Wan Ching (Sophie)” written on an HR form.
    Yeah we've got someone called Hal but his actual Chinese name is something I can't remember. Hong Kongers do it more than mainlanders, well they did.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Why do you tweet this nonsense
    Well I posted something very similar as a joke on the night that she won the competition.

The difference though was it was a joke I came up with and not copying and pasting someone else's from a Tweet.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Maybe there is a panic about the loss of the Tory poll lead and BoJo's rating collapse

What did they expect ? Surely they have advisers who would have been able to foresee this.
    I honestly don't think they did see it, the Tory party just seems to have forgotten how difficult it is to be a young worker on £18-40k all over the country. They've become the party of the comfortable and wealthy (people like me, ostensibly) who have no social conscience (so really only people like HYFUD). No one at the top table has any insight into the life of a 20 or 30 something living in a shared house paying shit loads in rent from income that is taxed far too much and is therefore unable to get on the property ladder.
    In terms of the key people, Rishi doesn't understand black of money and Boris doesn't understand money at all.

What they do understand is electoral dynamics, and a coalition centred on the old and comfortable that reaches out into the old and precarious (by culture war) and the younger and comfortable (don't worry, you'll still get your inheritance) is pretty damn formidable.
    It's much less formidable than they think, without working people aged between 30 and 50 a majority is out of reach and people in this age category aren't inheriting anything for another 10-30 years at least.

At least 3 members I know personally who campaigned for Leave in 2016 and Boris in 2019 have cancelled their membership and won't vote for the Tories until Boris is gone and the scope of this tax is widened to include retired people and unearned income. That's people who paid to campaign for the Tories for many years abandoning the party. Voters will be even less forgiving.
    Retired people who are giving up a 5.5% rise in pensions? So a contribution of about £393 so equivalent to the 1.25% on someone earning just over £31k

Seems pretty fair to me
    That's not in any way equivalent, working people are going to see their net income go down while older retired people will see them go up. The same old people who are now being handed billions so they can pass on their assets to their children without paying for the cost of their own care. The government has transferring wealth from young to old, it's supposed to go the other way with wealthy old people taxed so they stop accumulating assets and wealth they won't spend and will pass on to their already wealthy middle aged children.
    Not much of this is going to social care. Taxes are going up for everyone because they need to if we want to continue to spend this much
    I just do not understand this anti pensioner attitude coming from some who are earning a good salary and use the NHS, and are apportioning all the rise to the protection of peoples homes.

The chancellor needs to mitigate this rise for the young, students and the working poor, but it is clear that the public do not support people losing their homes to pay for social care nor as far as I am aware does any political party, though if that is lib dem policy then maybe a lib dem on here could confirm or at least outline their policy on this issue

Jon Ashworth refused today to say labour would replace the hypothecated tax and indeed he had no explanation as to the huge sums needed for the NHS and care are to come from

With hindsight a straight 1% hypothecated income tax rise would have been the fairest solution and maybe someday that will come about but for now the budget next month is the opportunity for Rishi to play fair with the young and all taxpayers

• Options
    Tres said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

He could have easily replaced Romanian with '12 construction workers' if that was really his argument. Funny he didn't do that.
    Are you suggesting there's mortar this than meets the eye?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

Yeah, but you know what, he didn't have to specific a specific nationality onto it.

He could have said "a group of young men, who barely speak English, working for cash in hand in the construction industry, not paying taxes".

Actually, it was statistically bang on, as anyone who tried to debunk it ended up admitting.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

There's be nearly as many balls as he talks.
    I guess you're from the Gloucestershire/ Herefordshire border area from that sentence.
  • Options

Leon said:

I don't think she is going to .need a law degree
    Unless she wants to do it for the sake of being 'normal', or because she finds it interesting, or as a post-career fallback in the case of injury.

Years ago, Radio 5 had an interview with a (Premiership?) footballer who had got a post-graduate degree in a non-sport related subject. He had kept his work on it quiet from all his team-mates, for fear of their reaction.

I can see that: even if you train for four or five hours a day, it would leave a long time in which you could do hobbies. And if you are lucky to have an intellectual bent, a degree might be just the thing. And a law degree might help you with managing your contracts as well, especially given the shysters in sports management.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

Actually, it was statistically bang on, as anyone who tried to debunk it ended up admitting.
    People are people, not their race and not their statistic.

Anyone who judges people by their race is being racist.

(and yes that cuts both ways)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

Oh really? All Romanians are tennis players now, are they? Is the correlation as tight as negroes/natural sense of rhythm?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

Is that all explained in a note on the back of the tweet.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

Oh really? All Romanians are tennis players now, are they? Is the correlation as tight as negroes/natural sense of rhythm?
    No, not really.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Tres said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

He'll be bricking it now.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

I wonder if Raducanu might suffer from people thinking "she'll have plenty of changes to win SPoTY in years to come, let's give it to Tom Daley this year"?

There will be some of that. People have grown up with Tom. They've been through so many ups and downs with him. They know him. Or at least they feel they do, which amounts to the same thing for these purposes.

Also, Adam Peaty. He's a stupid price now, but imo he's the wild card here. Why? Because he's going to be on Strictly Come Dancing. Anyone who doubts the impact that this iconic programme can have need only cast their minds back to Ed Balls and his samba salsa in whenever it was. Entered the show a widely despised politician, left the show as national treasure. Just a stunning turnaround. If same happens with Peaty - and the word is he can really move and is well up for it, knowing it's his chance to make a splash (sorry!) with the same general public who'll be voting for Spoty - then we have a genuine contest on our hands come December at the P&J Live Arena in Aberdeen.

So, bottom line, yes (Dame?) Emma is going to be Spoty but I will not be piling on at 1.1. Those are crazy odds. I'll be laying that, and I'll be having a couple of quid on Peaty. Just watch his price plummet once he's done some dances.

Personal take only, of course, so dyor.
    I was definitely wrong to lay Emma at 1.75 before the final, I didn't think her price could come in much further.
    My elderly neighbours were gushing about how wonderful Emma was, managed to avoid mentioning my betting position and just grind my teeth.

That said - there's no way 1.1 is value. Definitely time to bet against.

I think that Jason Kenny in the cycling might have a chance (most golds ever for British cyclist, and cycling seems to be a strong block vote). Available at 159/1.
  • Options
    Tres said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

Well, no, because his point was about Romanians, so leaving "Romanian" out of the argument would sort of not really work, surely?
  • Options
    I do worry that too many sports - especially the 'rich' ones - build up the hopes and dreams of young kids, only to leave them on the scrapyard when they reach their mid-teens. An acquaintance loved football and progressed well until his teens, when he had a late growth spurt. He was dropped as being too short; as an adult he is now as tall as me ...

ISTR there was one young F1 hopeful - Hamilton? - who had a contract with a team that depended on exam results as well as race results. I.e. work hard at school, not just on the track. That's a positive thing IMV.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

He should have used a more concrete example
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Yet the Tories lost under 45 year olds even in 2019. Some of that age group will also benefit from a gift from their parents or inheritance from their grandparents to help with a deposit.

Post Brexit it is over 45 year olds who won the Tories most seats in 2017 and 2019 as younger Remainers have gone to Labour or the LDs. While Cameron won workers over 35 in 2010 and when he won a majority in 2015, May and Boris only won most seats in 2017 and a majority in 2019 due to those 45 and over ie mainly non workers and particularly pensioners who they won by far more than Cameron did after the collapse of UKIP and gains from Labour Leavers.

Indeed according to the latest Yougov there has been a bigger shift from the Tories amongst over 65s due to the freeze in the triple lock than amongst 25 to 49 year olds over the NI rise.

For the record I lived in a shared house in the West Midlands and Welsh border for most of my early 30s on an average salary.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

E R

You mean .... Canadiens.

She was born in Montreal.
    Toronto!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:
    One type of crime. And stating that most of one type of crime is performed by one nationality does not mean that we should worry about everyone from that nation.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:
    Most crime is committed by young men.

Most immigrants are young men.

Now - I can believe that Romanians (on average) were more poorly educated than their peers from Poland or the Czech Republic, and therefore more likely to commit crimes.

But it is their being young and male and poorly educated that is the driver of their criminality, not the location of their birth.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

He should have used a more concrete example
    He's too set in his ways.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

What relevance does diplomatic immunity have to a civil case?

Diplomatic immunity extends to civil proceedings.
    Doesn't seem to have worked for Anne Saccoolas.

She currently answering civil proceedings.

Though she has admitted an offence, whilst all we have against PA are allegations.
  • Options
    At the moment Emma won last night I said

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Forget politics this is just the best'

This is a young lady who has so much talent, is mature beyond her years, and speaks with such intelligence some of the commentary on here today has demeaned her and I am sad to have read it
  • Options
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

I've not been following the case closely: didn't it turn out that she didn't have diplomatic immunity?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Evening all :)

https://europeelects.eu/2021/09/12/norwegian-parliamentary-elections-a-certain-election-with-an-uncertain-outcome/

A fascinating piece on tomorrow's Norwegian election. The polls look unpromising for the Conservatives but Labour are on course for a historically poor result. Centre have not had a good campaign and the real "winners" look to be the Socialist Left and the Greens.

Whether a Labour-Centre Coalition will be stable enough remains to be seen but there's clearly plenty of "horse trading" to occur after the vote.

The Czech Republic votes four weeks today and the latest poll looks better for Babis with his ANO2011 party up to 32% while the two opposing voting alliances, SPOLU from the centre-right and right and the Pirates & Mayors are both struggling. The Czech SPD are not Social Democrats but a party called Freedom and Direct Democracy and they could be potential coalition partners for either SPOLU or ANO2011.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Yet the Tories lost under 45 year olds even in 2019. Some of that age group will also benefit from a gift from their parents or inheritance from their grandparents to help with a deposit.

Post Brexit it is over 45 year olds who won the Tories most seats in 2017 and 2019 as younger Remainers have gone to Labour or the LDs. While Cameron won workers over 35 in 2010 and when he won a majority in 2015, May and Boris only won most seats in 2017 and a majority in 2019 due to those 45 and over year olds ie mainly non workers and particularly pensioners who they won by far more than Cameron did after the collapse of UKIP and gains from Labour Leavers.

Indeed according to the latest Yougov there has been a bigger shift from the Tories amongst over 65s due to the freeze in the triple lock than amongst 25 to 49 year olds over the NI rise.

For the record I lived in a shared house in the West Midlands and Welsh border for most of my early 30s on an average salary.
    You understand how marginal losses work though. Losing 38-35 is an election winning score for the Tories and implies a winning the top of the category (which you did). Losing 50-25 is Labour 300+ seats.

You can bang on about how a plurality of Tory voters support raising taxes on workers as much as you like, it's Boris' poll tax and it's going to lose you the election.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Now - I can believe that Romanians (on average) were more poorly educated than their peers from Poland or the Czech Republic, and therefore more likely to commit crimes.

But it is their being young and male and poorly educated that is the driver of their criminality, not the location of their birth.
    Why am I not surprised that the news that the fallacy of the undistributed middle, is a fallacy, has yet to reach the "universities" of East Anglia?

In 2012 92 per cent of all ATM crime in London was committed by Romanians.

Were Romanians 92% of all poor young men in London, or more, or fewer?

Edit: and Farage's point was this: if we have the legitimate choice of changing the rules so that they and their peers stay and raid cash machines in Poland Czechia and Romania, rather than London, why would we not exercise that choice?

Seems a solid argument.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

Nastase piece of work aren't you?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's probably much more likely that a Romanian ATM fraud gang came to the UK under free movement with the intention of committing crimes. The stat is 92% of crimes, not that 92% of Romanians are criminals. That sounds like a few gangs saw an easy target in the UK and were able to come to the UK for prolonged periods without being bothered by law enforcement or border agents.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

Post Brexit it is over 45 year olds who won the Tories most seats in 2017 and 2019 as younger Remainers have gone to Labour or the LDs. While Cameron won workers over 35 in 2010 and when he won a majority in 2015, May and Boris only won most seats in 2017 and a majority in 2019 due to those 45 and over year olds ie mainly non workers and particularly pensioners who they won by far more than Cameron did after the collapse of UKIP and gains from Labour Leavers.

You understand how marginal losses work though. Losing 38-35 is an election winning score for the Tories and implies a winning the top of the category (which you did). Losing 50-25 is Labour 300+ seats.

You can bang on about how a plurality of Tory voters support raising taxes on workers as much as you like, it's Boris' poll tax and it's going to lose you the election.
    It isn't, if the Tories had not lost any votes from over 65s over the triple lock freeze, they would still have a clear enough lead for a narrow 1992 style majority even despite any losses from under 45s over the NI rise.

At the moment it is the triple lock freeze which will cost Boris his majority, not the NI rise. The big move has not been to Labour and the LDs but to RefUK and DK amongst the over 65s.

I warned about the dangers of not delivering the commitment to increase the triple lock on our core vote beforehand.

The NI rise is regrettable but necessary to fund extra funds for the NHS post Covid and social care and hopefully taxes in income can then be cut before the next general election
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's probably much more likely that a Romanian ATM fraud gang came to the UK under free movement with the intention of committing crimes. The stat is 92% of crimes, not that 92% of Romanians are criminals. That sounds like a few gangs saw an easy target in the UK and were able to come to the UK for prolonged periods without being bothered by law enforcement or border agents.
    "were able to come to the UK for prolonged periods without being bothered by law enforcement or border agents."

Can you think of any way of remedying that situation?

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    edited September 2021

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

This is a young lady who has so much talent, is mature beyond her years, and speaks with such intelligence some of the commentary on here today has demeaned her and I am sad to have read it

A strange comment. From what I've read on here, everybody has said how marvellous her victory was, and how delightful a person she seems to be. So I'm not sure who's meant to have demeaned her. Quite the opposite - it's been a huge love-in.
  • Options

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

A strange comment. From what I've read on here, everybody has said how marvellous her victory was, and how delightful a person she seems to be. So I'm not sure who's meant to have demeaned her. Quite the opposite.
    Leon has been disgusting.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

https://europeelects.eu/2021/09/12/norwegian-parliamentary-elections-a-certain-election-with-an-uncertain-outcome/

A fascinating piece on tomorrow's Norwegian election. The polls look unpromising for the Conservatives but Labour are on course for a historically poor result. Centre have not had a good campaign and the real "winners" look to be the Socialist Left and the Greens.

Whether a Labour-Centre Coalition will be stable enough remains to be seen but there's clearly plenty of "horse trading" to occur after the vote.

The Czech Republic votes four weeks today and the latest poll looks better for Babis with his ANO2011 party up to 32% while the two opposing voting alliances, SPOLU from the centre-right and right and the Pirates & Mayors are both struggling. The Czech SPD are not Social Democrats but a party called Freedom and Direct Democracy and they could be potential coalition partners for either SPOLU or ANO2011.

What’s Austria voting on?
  • Options

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

A strange comment. From what I've read on here, everybody has said how marvellous her victory was, and how delightful a person she seems to be. So I'm not sure who's meant to have demeaned her. Quite the opposite.
    And the Pope shits in the woods
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

It may but the election will see April 22 increase NI, then April 23 and April 24 as a hypothecated NHS and social tax and in the meantime I expect mitigation will address the young, students and low paid

In the short term it will damage the party and I am homeless, but in order to change my vote I need to see an offer from other parties that attract me, and in particular the lib dems and I await that with interest

I know you are angry about pensioners bequeathing their estate but can you provide evidence of any party that will either increase pensioner taxation, either income tax or NI or seek the pensioner to pay for unlimited care from their home

• Options
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Though she has admitted an offence, whilst all we have against PA are allegations.
    Brought there voluntarily by public and media pressure, though, rather than by law?
  • Options

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Okay, but no change there. Everybody minus 1 then.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    isam said:

eek said:

Without question.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Well done, people. You made a harmless good news story into a bitter argument.
  • Options

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

A strange comment. From what I've read on here, everybody has said how marvellous her victory was, and how delightful a person she seems to be. So I'm not sure who's meant to have demeaned her. Quite the opposite - it's been a huge love-in.
    There have been arguments over whether she is British and political point scoring over Brexit and immigration
  • Options

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Did PB's IQ drop sharply while I was away?

Leon has done nothing all day but riff on the excellence of the win in all possible respects, his not studying law any more gag was taken literally by a handful of goldfish-level-intelligence posters, and I've just had someone solemnly explain to me that 92% of Maltesers are spherical does not imply that 92% of all spherical things are Maltesers.

Sharpen up, people.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

And the Pope shits in the woods
    IanB2 is now disgusting :lol:
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

It isn't, if the Tories had not lost any votes from over 65s over the triple lock freeze, they would still have a clear enough lead for a narrow 1992 style majority even despite any losses from under 45s over the NI rise.

At the moment it is the triple lock freeze which will cost Boris his majority, not the NI rise. The big move has not been to Labour and the LDs but to RefUK and DK amongst the over 65s.

I warned about the dangers of not delivering the commitment to increase the triple lock on our core vote beforehand.

The NI rise is regrettable but necessary to fund extra funds for the NHS post Covid and social care and hopefully taxes in income can then be cut before the next general election
    Surely as the triple lock removal is only temporary this is not a long term worry for the Conservatives for 2023/24.

What the Conservatives do need to worry about are younger people as in 1997, who are so enraged at having been royally shafted by the Conservatives that they get off their lazy arses and vote for somebody other than Boris, whereas under normal circumstances they wouldn't bother voting at all. That should be a concern to you.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

Well done, people. You made a harmless good news story into a bitter argument.

Clearly you're new here.
    I thought that, but he has a postdoc level of understanding of HYUFD issues...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Ask this guy...

"We don't want 'em flooding over here taking our jobs."

"No British woman has won a grand slam tennis event since the 1970s"

"What time does her plane land?"

[This is a joke. Emma is Canadian, and I know this, so don't flame me.]
  • Options

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

There have been arguments over whether she is British and political point scoring over Brexit and immigration
    Has anybody disputed she's British? Anyway, PB has gone its normal way of talking about Brexit, immigration and so on, but my point was that everybody seems to adore Emma personally.

(Easier to call her Emma than risk misspelling her name).
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Why am I not surprised that the news that the fallacy of the undistributed middle, is a fallacy, has yet to reach the "universities" of East Anglia?

Edit: and Farage's point was this: if we have the legitimate choice of changing the rules so that they and their peers stay and raid cash machines in Poland Czechia and Romania, rather than London, why would we not exercise that choice?

Seems a solid argument.
    I work with statistics. When someone tells me that 'in 2012 92 per cent of all ATM crime in London was committed by Romanians' I think it sounds like exactly what it is - a number plucked out of the air by an innumerate PC plod.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Mmm so you think young poorly educated chinese immigrants would be more likely to commit crimes??
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Did PB's IQ drop sharply while I was away?
    Average IQ, or median?
  • Options

'She aced it

Fantastic and marvellous

Has anybody disputed she's British? Anyway, PB has gone its normal way of talking about Brexit, immigration and so on, but my point was that everybody seems to adore Emma personally.

(Easier to call her Emma than risk misspelling her name).
    Toronto Star says she is 'dual'

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tennis/opinion/2021/09/11/canadian-leylah-fernandez-leaves-the-us-open-a-winner-just-without-the-trophy.html

• Options
    Tres said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Seems a solid argument.
    I work with statistics. When someone tells me that 'in 2012 92 per cent of all ATM crime in London was committed by Romanians' I think it sounds like exactly what it is - a number plucked out of the air by an innumerate PC plod.
    92% percent of cherries were left unpicked this harvest. Despite Brexit.
This discussion has been closed.