Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If you’re betting on Raab as next PM/Con leader look away now – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Expect the tax rises just announced to raise about £12 billion a year, about 0.5% of GDP.

Remember that's on top of £25 bn of tax rises announced in the Budget.

This is a huge year for tax rises: a permanent increase of 1.5% of national income to highest in peacetime

https://twitter.com/PJTheEconomist/status/1435209276956553225?s=20

I've picked the wrong time to return to PAYE based employment haven't I.....

Yup.

My father and I thank you for contribution to improving my inheritance even more.
    I will have to keep telling myself this is a really interesting exciting project I have decided to join, even as I am shafting myself with a big take home pay cut to do it....keep chanting for the greater good, for the greater good...
    It felt very weird when I went from self-employed back to a payroll job. Took a few months to get used to it.
    And HMRC cane you in the process! I moved myself from mainly dividend income to PAYE for a number of reasons (not least that it was no longer worth working that way), and it was very painful for first year of transition.
  • Options

I will commend @Philip_Thompson for having principles and sticking to them.

I hope he will accept my apologies for doubting him in the past and all the times I have accused him of being a troll. I now see I was greatly mistaken.

I thank you for that.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited September 2021
    I wonder if Boris is playing 5D chess here. Most people will instinctively blame tax rises on the Chancellor. Although Boris may take a hit, this probably won't be enough to destroy him; however, it might mean Rishi's reputation is shredded to such an extent that he's in no position to threaten Boris any time soon.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    I wonder if we will get some major tax reform including wealth taxes in the Budget.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Sorry but did the Tories say that this can't be undone by future Governments.

Erhhh, that's not how it works...

I heard the PM say some of the tax increase would be hypothecated in law.
    No government can bind its successor. How long until the next one makes a technical change in a future budget that removes the spending tie.
    Indeed, but it was interesting to hear the PM use the word hypothecate. Other than the BBC tax, we don't really do that in this country.
    When it doesn't fund anywhere near the entirety of the NHS, or social care, it's not really hypothecated anyway, since the rest of the spending necessary is entirely at the discretion of the chancellor, from year to year.
    And the limits of the 'hypothecation' are also well demonstrated by the fact that for the first 18 months it will make no contributions towards social care at all.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is Starmer supporting or opposing this lot ?

Both/ Neither.

Fuck Knows
    His line "I thank the Prime Minister for advanced sight of his speech - I think I got as much notice of this plan as his Cabinet" was funny.

Already forgotten the rest of what Starmer had to say, besides referencing his sister who works in care. There was no politics or proposal to any of what he had to say.
    In sharp contrast to Burnham this morning.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

tlg86 said:

Both John Trickett (Hemsworth) and Ed Davey (Kingston and Surbiton) opposing this policy.

Ed Davey could yet win my vote then.

Sunak/Boris won't.
    So we might be able to entice you over to the dark side then. I must refrain from arguing with you in future.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Both/ Neither.

Fuck Knows
    His line "I thank the Prime Minister for advanced sight of his speech - I think I got as much notice of this plan as his Cabinet" was funny.

Already forgotten the rest of what Starmer had to say, besides referencing his sister who works in care. There was no politics or proposal to any of what he had to say.
    People will accuse me of being a fanboy here but Starmer doesn't present any plans, I can't believe he can't see the reaction to that so is it that he's not wanting to, who advised him to do that?
    Tony Blair? Blair knew prior to 97 that if they presented too detailed plans the Tories would steal their clothes I seem to recall he once said.
  • Options
    A tax on wages (which is not income tax) to raise money for social care (that mostly won’t go to social care). The merits of the policy of will be fleshed out in the next weeks, but the messaging comes already with quite a few sleights of hand.

https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1435216543986720770?s=20
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Yesterday I tore into Liz K after her pathetic R4 interview in which it was clear that Labour has no plan for social care. I warned that not having anything serious to say about this massive issue this week other than vacuous nonsense about "there needs to be a plan" would play badly for Labour.

Here we are - Johnson tearing it the open goal that is Labour's total failure to have any alternative.

Truly embarrassing SKS is no more use than a paper bag to carry your Scuba diving sweeties in
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Interesting debate on NI/care. From a personal point of view it is probably in my family's interest. My kids will benefit at the cost of the working taxpayer while we sit on substantial assets. In the meantime we all pay a bit more NI on our earnings and employees.

In summary it seems very unfair on those that haven't got parents who will leave them lots of assets. Populist back of a fag packet pork barrel politics.

Being free for all comers, things like the NHS and schools are similarly 'unfair' on non asset rich families. Everything that comes on the state bill saves money for billionaires. That is why decent tax systems are properly progressive. (Which, by the way, NI isn't).

The best tax systems are those that result in the most efficient tax revenue to pay for public services. So-called "progressive" taxation doesn't always achieve this if it becomes punitive for the sake of politics. Getting the balance right in a global economy is essential.
    I completely agree with you but they also need to be fair and consistent.

NI is the worst possible tax because it is completely unfair and inconsistent. Two people, "earning" the same income, will face completely different tax rates depending upon whether their wages are paid by an employer or not.

It is unfair, inconsistent and unreasonable. Today the government is making that worse not better.
    Agreed. NI is the most dishonest form of taxation.
  • Options
    People who work after the state pension age will also be told to pay 1.25 per cent.

Telegraph blog
  • Options

I wonder if Boris is playing 5D chess here. Most people will instinctively blame tax rises on the Chancellor. Although Boris may take a hit, this probably won't be enough to destroy him; however, it might mean Rishi's reputation is shredded to such an extent that he's in no position to threaten Boris any time soon.

You can't play chess, of any kind, on the bag of a fag packet.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

I wonder if Boris is playing 5D chess here. Most people will instinctively blame tax rises on the Chancellor. Although Boris may take a hit, this probably won't be enough to destroy him; however, it might mean Rishi's reputation is shredded to such and extent that he's in no position to threaten Boris any time soon.

Boris is teflon. He'll get away with it.

There will be a hit for the Tories, people will grumble, but as no else has much of an idea what to do about social care crisis the public will wear it.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Interesting debate on NI/care. From a personal point of view it is probably in my family's interest. My kids will benefit at the cost of the working taxpayer while we sit on substantial assets. In the meantime we all pay a bit more NI on our earnings and employees.

In summary it seems very unfair on those that haven't got parents who will leave them lots of assets. Populist back of a fag packet pork barrel politics.

Being free for all comers, things like the NHS and schools are similarly 'unfair' on non asset rich families. Everything that comes on the state bill saves money for billionaires. That is why decent tax systems are properly progressive. (Which, by the way, NI isn't).

The best tax systems are those that result in the most efficient tax revenue to pay for public services. So-called "progressive" taxation doesn't always achieve this if it becomes punitive for the sake of politics. Getting the balance right in a global economy is essential.
    I completely agree with you but they also need to be fair and consistent.

NI is the worst possible tax because it is completely unfair and inconsistent. Two people, "earning" the same income, will face completely different tax rates depending upon whether their wages are paid by an employer or not.

It is unfair, inconsistent and unreasonable. Today the government is making that worse not better.
    Agreed. NI is the most dishonest form of taxation.
    This is where Labour should be hammering, that this isn't progressive at all.

Pensioners don't pay any more, so we aren't in this together. Rich pensioners don't pay more so we aren't in this together.

But who pays a lot more? Young people in work, who we have locked down to protect the elderly.

I am genuinely very angry that Labour is not winning this argument.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Both/ Neither.

Fuck Knows

People will accuse me of being a fanboy here but Starmer doesn't present any plans, I can't believe he can't see the reaction to that so is it that he's not wanting to, who advised him to do that?
    Tony Blair? Blair knew prior to 97 that if they presented too detailed plans the Tories would steal their clothes I seem to recall he once said.
    He didn't present too detailed a plan, but he presented catchphrases that people thought meant something - which they could project their wishes and hopes for on. Even now people can remember them: "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime", "Education, Education, Education", "Abolishing boom and bust" 😂😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ etc

Its a tactic that's been followed by other successful leaders. "Sharing the proceeds of growth", "Long term economic plan", "Get Brexit Done" etc

Whether you like them or not, those catchphrases meant something to the listener. Starmer has nothing. He's completely vacuous and utterly devoid of ideas - even vague, meaningless catchphrase ideas that people can project onto.
  • Options

Anyhoo my work and I have decided that most of will not returning to the office until next year, a decision will be made in January, so it is likely we will have worked from home for nearly two years.

WFH is turning into a nightmare for us in our dealings with Local Authorities. God knows what is happening, but average invoice payment times have increased from 30 days to over 100 days. You can never speak to anyone and nothing ever gets resolved. LAs used to be our best customers, now they are the worst.
    That is absolutely disgraceful. In my view there should be legislation brought in to punish late payment of legitimate invoices.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Both/ Neither.

Fuck Knows

He didn't present too detailed a plan, but he presented catchphrases that people thought meant something - which they could project their wishes and hopes for on. Even now people can remember them: "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime", "Education, Education, Education", "Abolishing boom and bust" 😂😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ etc

Its a tactic that's been followed by other successful leaders. "Sharing the proceeds of growth", "Long term economic plan", "Get Brexit Done" etc

Whether you like them or not, those catchphrases meant something to the listener. Starmer has nothing. He's completely vacuous and utterly devoid of ideas - even vague, meaningless catchphrase ideas that people can project onto.
    "Tax wealth not workers" - easy.

But surely with Blair's approach you would still be attacking him now for not proposing an alternative to Johnson's "plan" - no?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432
    edited September 2021
    By the sound of it, lousy government but excellent politics.

Like a lot of Johnsonism.

Apparently local authorities are going to cover "demographic and unit cost pressures" through council tax. Right. This is what we called a "chinny reckon" at school....

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1435217372017745922?s=20

ETA: Another thought. The rule with Budgets (and this looks a lot like an emergency mini-Budget, what with how it has spending and tax changes in it) is that the better they look on Day One, the more completely they fall apart once the details come out.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited September 2021

People who work after the state pension age will also be told to pay 1.25 per cent.

Telegraph blog

Good for both fairness and revenue, but what will @HYUFD make of it as he was nigh on convinced that this shouldn't be the case :D
  • Options
    Green gets to the point - putting money into the NHS now is unlikely to ever see it returned in the future, so what will go into Social Care now when it needs it...?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Telegraph blog

Good for both fairness and revenue, but what will @HYUFD make of it as he was nigh on convinced that this shouldn't be the case :D
    All pensioners should pay, including and especially rich ones who pulled the rug up and screwed the young with housing
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Anyhoo my work and I have decided that most of will not returning to the office until next year, a decision will be made in January, so it is likely we will have worked from home for nearly two years.

WFH is turning into a nightmare for us in our dealings with Local Authorities. God knows what is happening, but average invoice payment times have increased from 30 days to over 100 days. You can never speak to anyone and nothing ever gets resolved. LAs used to be our best customers, now they are the worst.
    That is absolutely disgraceful. In my view there should be legislation brought in to punish late payment of legitimate invoices.
    Add £100 to each invoice under the Late Payments of Commercial Debts Act see https://firstvoice.fsb.org.uk/first-voice/regional-voice/local-authorities-failing-to-pay-small-businesses-on-time.html
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Both/ Neither.

Fuck Knows

But surely with Blair's approach you would still be attacking him now for not proposing an alternative to Johnson's "plan" - no?
    Perhaps yes. But it'd be harder to attack him for that, if there was a vague thought of a plan that people listen to and think "I like that idea". You keep it vague but interesting enough that even attacking it sounds bad - 'why would you be against being tough on the causes of crime'?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Labour should be going on with a wealth tax (Burnham's idea), or a progressive tax that increases with income. But they are not, because...?

I agree that a wealth tax would be the best option from a Labour point of view. Don't know why they're not supporting the idea.
    Apparently it would not raise sufficient and it is said Starmer knows this and is not promoting it

However, Boris has won this debate simply by Labour having no credible alternatives

And every time Labour appear on the media the question is going to be asked

'And what would you do'
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Apparently local authorities are going to cover "demographic and unit cost pressures" through council tax. Right. This is what we called a "chinny reckon" at school....

ETA: Another thought. The rule with Budgets (and this looks a lot like an emergency mini-Budget, what with how it has spending and tax changes in it) is that the better they look on Day One, the more completely they fall apart once the details come out.

That was my thought too. The devil will be buried in the detail.
    Disinterred long after it has been voted through.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

The people actually needing the care won't pay for it.

So the next time I am told to pay my way and pay back my student loan, I am going to say no, somebody else's problem

The people who get care will pay for it. There is a cap of £80K. They pay up to that if they have assets.
    Whiuch makes houseowners in, say, Gateshead much more likely to lose their houses than those in Epping, surely.

Is that a bug or a feasture?
    They will.just lose it sooner because life expectancy is less up North.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/RachelReevesMP/status/1435218811502858243

There was almost a plan in there - but she stopped at the end? She must be told to do that, I cannot believe they're stopping there.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Both/ Neither.

Fuck Knows

Perhaps yes. But it'd be harder to attack him for that, if there was a vague thought of a plan that people listen to and think "I like that idea". You keep it vague but interesting enough that even attacking it sounds bad - 'why would you be against being tough on the causes of crime'?
    Then I think we mostly agree. But you should accept that unless Starmer proposes a full plan he is going to get attacked for not having one.

As I said above, Reeves pretty much did what you are asking, just without a decent slogan - that is what they need to work on. I do not think it is about proposing a detailed plan at this stage.

"This is a tax on workers not wealth". Done.
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189
    eek said:

Add £100 to each invoice under the Late Payments of Commercial Debts Act see https://firstvoice.fsb.org.uk/first-voice/regional-voice/local-authorities-failing-to-pay-small-businesses-on-time.html
    You can charge them 8% plus base rates interest - thats more than you will get in the bank - but it makes them sulk so its not great for repeat business. It can unstick things though and the great thing about LAs is they do pay in the end in our experience https://www.gov.uk/late-commercial-payments-interest-debt-recovery
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    dixiedean said:

That was my thought too. The devil will be buried in the detail.
    Disinterred long after it has been voted through.
    Really? These things (Brown and Osborne budgets, dementia tax) quite often unravel in 24 hours.
  • Options
    Being grumpy about this new health & social care levy.
    BUT world is a better place after today:
    - more money for NHS & care was needed
    - big issues in social care means test addressed
    - tax rises were inevitable
    - this is a progressive and broad based increase

https://twitter.com/PJTheEconomist/status/1435213616022753285?s=20
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Labour should be going on with a wealth tax (Burnham's idea), or a progressive tax that increases with income. But they are not, because...?

Because Starmer is a fool. I've been saying this since he became leader, I think you're starting to see it too.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Doesn't matter that Starmer is a bit crap and his party is still full of weirdos. I'll be voting Labour after that.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    eek said:

John Majors government did a number of things (like this) that in retrospect were really good ideas.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I agree that a wealth tax would be the best option from a Labour point of view. Don't know why they're not supporting the idea.
    Apparently it would not raise sufficient and it is said Starmer knows this and is not promoting it

However, Boris has won this debate simply by Labour having no credible alternatives

'And what would you do'
    I think the simple answer to that would be either through general taxation (risky) or through Corp tax or both. Corp tax (which I would hate) might appeal to the divisive nature of politics, and whilst not really sustainable wouldn't matter from a political perspective.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Because Starmer is a fool. I've been saying this since he became leader, I think you're starting to see it too.
    I don't share your viewpoint quite yet Max - although as I mentioned by March next year I may well do.

But I do think people are wrong to say he should lay out a detailed plan, I think that would be a big mistake. But no plan/slogan at all is also wrong.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Telegraph blog

All pensioners should pay, including and especially rich ones who pulled the rug up and screwed the young with housing
    You cannot blame an entire generation for things. You can otoh blame a political party for pandering to that generation, but you know whose fault it is that that works? If you lot just got out and fucking voted, things would change in your favour.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Said last night it's like trapping noxious gas with a net.
    Not a low tax Party, but the Party of the NHS.
    Poor government. Superb politics.
  • Options

Oh bollocks is it progressive.

Someone struggling to pay rent is seeing their take home pay go down with a combined 2.5% increase in jobs taxes.

A buy to let landlord who is charging that individual rent is not seeing a penny more in tax on their income.

I don't deny anyone a right to an income however they seek to make it, even landlords, but why the heck should a tenant worker's pay be getting reduced by 2.5% while their landlord's pay is untouched? How is that progressive or broad based?
    The fundamental issue is that the people actually needing the care aren't paying any more for it.

And if we replaced care with tuition fees, we know what the answer would be.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

'And what would you do'
    I think the simple answer to that would be either through general taxation (risky) or through Corp tax or both. Corp tax (which I would hate) might appeal to the divisive nature of politics, and whilst not really sustainable wouldn't matter from a political perspective.
    I think corporation tax will be increased as well at some point
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Telegraph blog

You cannot blame an entire generation for things. You can otoh blame a political party for pandering to that generation, but you know whose fault it is that that works? If you lot just got out and fucking voted, things would change in your favour.
    I've been saying for years that the young should vote. I have always voted, I cannot get people into polling booths anymore than I do when I go out and canvass them.

It's potentially superb politics but I just don't think you can be a progressive/left-wing person and agree with a policy that makes workers pay for the care of rich people
  • Options
    Minor point… but this new tax levy is to be paid on dividends… will dividends on shares held in an ISA be affected?
  • Options

Someone struggling to pay rent is seeing their take home pay go down with a combined 2.5% increase in jobs taxes.

A buy to let landlord who is charging that individual rent is not seeing a penny more in tax on their income.

I don't deny anyone a right to an income however they seek to make it, even landlords, but why the heck should a tenant worker's pay be getting reduced by 2.5% while their landlord's pay is untouched? How is that progressive or broad based?
    The fundamental issue is that the people actually needing the care aren't paying any more for it.

Yep, you made a choice to take on tuition fees, they didnt make a choice to need care
  • Options
    rawzer said:

Yep, you made a choice to take on tuition fees, they didnt make a choice to need care
    Yes they did?
  • Options
    Ah. Richard Burgon is predictable as always.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Minor point… but this new tax levy is to be paid on dividends… will dividends on shares held in an ISA be affected?

I'd be shocked if that was the case. It would take absolute balls of steel to tax ISAs.
  • Options
    SNP are going for the jugular

https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/1435209648429322241

The SNP
    @theSNP
    ·
    46m
    Police cars revolving light Boris Johnson’s new poll tax will see a regressive tax hike unfairly penalising young people, low paid workers and families.

Banknote with pound sign Tories want to tax Scottish workers twice, forcing them to pay the bill for social care in England, as well as Scotland.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Expect the tax rises just announced to raise about £12 billion a year, about 0.5% of GDP.

Remember that's on top of £25 bn of tax rises announced in the Budget.

This is a huge year for tax rises: a permanent increase of 1.5% of national income to highest in peacetime

https://twitter.com/PJTheEconomist/status/1435209276956553225?s=20

I've picked the wrong time to return to PAYE based employment haven't I.....

Yup.

My father and I thank you for contribution to improving my inheritance even more.
    I will have to keep telling myself this is a really interesting exciting project I have decided to join, even as I am shafting myself with a big take home pay cut to do it....keep chanting for the greater good, for the greater good...
    It felt very weird when I went from self-employed back to a payroll job. Took a few months to get used to it.
    I don't think I could have ever done that.
    The decision itself wasn’t too difficult, business dried up during the pandemic and the mortgage doesn’t pay itself!

The new company is slow-paced and low-stress, and they invest in education and professional development so I’m enrolling in an MBA next month.

Very different to self-employment, where you spend a third of your time working, a third looking for work and the final third chasing people who owe you money!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

So literally the only group not being hit now are wealthy pensioners. The Tory party is scum.

The social care cap is reported to be £80,000, so all assets over that will have to be used to defray the persons own care costs
    For residential social care yes, not at home social care where the home would still be exempt from charges
    You said you would oppose tax rises higher than 1% only yesterday.

If as reported it is 1.2% then are you a man of your word?
    Rounded up that is 1% not 2%
    As this is pedanticbetting.com I'll inform you that rounded up it's 2%. Rounded, or rounded down, it's 1%.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Telegraph blog

I've been saying for years that the young should vote. I have always voted, I cannot get people into polling booths anymore than I do when I go out and canvass them.

It's potentially superb politics but I just don't think you can be a progressive/left-wing person and agree with a policy that makes workers pay for the care of rich people
    No. You can't be a person who believes in social justice, and think that.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

'And what would you do'
    It already is increasing to 25% - how much higher do you think it's going to be.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited September 2021
    If we want good public services there for public need as I believe in very fundamentally, they should be paid for with a tax system which is progressive and increases contribution based on wealth and income. That is irrelevant to age.

That is at the very core of my belief. I fundamentally believe that health, social care, education, transport should be paid for in this way.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

Good point. I don’t know.

Anyone?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'd be shocked if that was the case. It would take absolute balls of steel to tax ISAs.
    My thoughts too, but fear that might attract Johnson to the idea…
  • Options

Barnstorming speech from Boris.

As things stand I will vote for him in 2024 unless Labour steps up with proper alternatives.

Glad that you trots have finally fucked off to join the Tories
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Telegraph blog

No. You can't be a person who believes in social justice, and think that.
    I believe in social justice funded in a way that is fair and progressive. Rich pensioners may no more money for this yet I do and that is not what I believe.

I believe in good strong public services funded from taxation that is progressive. End of story.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    eek said:

SNP are going for the jugular

https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/1435209648429322241

The SNP
    @theSNP
    ·
    46m
    Police cars revolving light Boris Johnson’s new poll tax will see a regressive tax hike unfairly penalising young people, low paid workers and families.

Banknote with pound sign Tories want to tax Scottish workers twice, forcing them to pay the bill for social care in England, as well as Scotland.

How would the SNP pay for social care in Scotland then once the Treasury's subsidy went?
  • Options

If we want good public services there for public need as I believe in very fundamentally, they should be paid for with a tax system which is progressive and increases contribution based on wealth and income. That is irrelevant to age.

That is at the very core of my belief. I fundamentally believe that health, social care, education, transport should be paid for in this way.

That's a left-wing view.

I take the right-wing view. We need a tax system with low but consistent and equally applied tax rates, which allow economic growth and higher wages, leading to higher tax receipts and lower welfare expenditure.

But this government isn't following either left or right. Its following the Sir Humphrey view: what taxes can we get away with raising? There are no principles behind it.

Time for the Tories to go into Opposition.
  • Options

rawzer said:

Yes they did?
    All those hours going through prospectuses trying to decide whether to get dementia, incontinence, need peg feeding etc?
  • Options
    I should say, if the system pays for rich people but they equally pay more towards it then of course I am in favour, it sounds like I was just attacking people for being rich which I didn't intend to.
  • Options
    Today’s announcement represents a substantial increase in funding for the NHS - though in the face of substantial pressures.

https://twitter.com/TheIFS/status/1435218127235731467?s=20
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

'And what would you do'
    It already is increasing to 25% - how much higher do you think it's going to be.
    Is it

I did not know that and I agree no more

Thank you for correcting me
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

'And what would you do'
    Corporation tax is already going up in April 2023, from 19% to 25%;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/corporation-tax-charge-and-rates-from-1-april-2022-and-small-profits-rate-and-marginal-relief-from-1-april-2023/corporation-tax-charge-and-rates-from-1-april-2022-and-small-profits-rate-and-marginal-relief-from-1-april-2023

So Corp Tax is already in the "found it, raised it, planned to spend it" category.

With the NI rise in April 2022, the extension to working pensioners (as a HSC levy) in 2023 and no increases in personal allowances in 2023 or 2024, I'm really beginning to wonder where they fit an election in.
  • Options

That's a left-wing view.

I take the right-wing view. We need a tax system with low but consistent and equally applied tax rates, which allow economic growth and higher wages, leading to higher tax receipts and lower welfare expenditure.

But this government isn't following either left or right. Its following the Sir Humphrey view: what taxes can we get away with raising? There are no principles behind it.

Fundamentally Philip, you have your ideology and I have mine. But these are ideologies which you can agree with and criticise - because there is something to criticise.

My issue with BoJo from day one has been that this lot don't have an ideology and I find that very troubling for politics in general. I think you might have now understood what I mean by that (without wishing to put words into your mouth).

I think in the general sense though, we do agree on the principle that taxes should be applied consistently and fairly.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I wondered if Burnham would be any better as leader of the opposition. After today, it's very clear indeed that he would.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    edited September 2021
    ping said:

Good point. I don’t know.

Anyone?
    It won't be charged on ISA dividends.

70.In addition, many everyday investors will be unaffected. Shares held in ISAs are not
    subject to dividend tax and, due to the £2,000 tax-free dividend allowance and the
    personal allowance, around 60 per cent of individuals with dividend income outside of
    ISAs are not expected to pay any dividend tax or be affected by this change in
    2022-23.
    71.This change will apply UK-wide. It will be scored at the Budget and legislated for in the
    next Finance Bill.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Thank you… dividends from ISA shares, NOT affected… stand down pitchforks…
  • Options

That's a left-wing view.

Time for you to go to the LDs
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

I wondered if Burnham would be any better as leader of the opposition. After today, it's very clear indeed that he would.
    I remain unconvinced, he has the "not Starmer" bounce right now. But I am headed in your direction, I will say that.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

My thoughts too, but fear that might attract Johnson to the idea…
    No.
    I posted the link to the government plans just upthread. ISAs are (for now at least) still completely exempt.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That's a left-wing view.

At least Philip has some principles, a lot more than you it seems - and I have a great deal of respect for your posts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That's a left-wing view.

Ta-ra.
  • Options
    So. Tory backbenches unhappy with raising NI, as it is unfair and they weren't elected to put taxes up.
    So they put up loads of other taxes as well to placate them.
    And now they are delighted.
    Have I got this right?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I don't share your viewpoint quite yet Max - although as I mentioned by March next year I may well do.

But I do think people are wrong to say he should lay out a detailed plan, I think that would be a big mistake. But no plan/slogan at all is also wrong.
    Doesn't need a plan, just needs a hook. Blair would be battering the government day in day out. He'd be all over the news, writing editorials in the Telegraph and the Times bashing the government over a tax rise on workers to pay for very wealthy pensioners.
  • Options
    I would be very interested to know the response to this suite of policies from the Lib Dem 2024 target seats? Anyone know?
  • Options
    'Thank you
    @BorisJohnson
    @RishiSunak
    @sajidjavid
    for taking a tough and politically difficult decision to give the NHS and social care desperately needed funding.'
    https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1435215122004389888?s=20
    'If you live in US, Ger or Switz your health insurance premiums will go up just as surely as taxes will go up in taxpayer-funded systems. And for all its challenges, our system delivers not equity & value for money, including the lowest medicine prices paid anywhere in the world.'
    https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1435216032109666304?s=20
  • Options
    BTW March is not just an arbitrary month for me with Starmer, he will have been in the job then for two years, which is more than enough time to prove he's any good. Corbyn should have resigned at just about that point and we'd probably have a Labour Government now
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Doesn't need a plan, just needs a hook. Blair would be battering the government day in day out. He'd be all over the news, writing editorials in the Telegraph and the Times bashing the government over a tax rise on workers to pay for very wealthy pensioners.
    "Tax wealth not workers", is what I would have gone with myself.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That's a left-wing view.

Ta-ra.
    Will ensure we become a purer, more traditional Conservative party as a result and will reduce Liberal dilution of Toryism and Social Democratic dilution of the LDs. Win, win
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's a left-wing view.

Ta-ra.
    Will ensure we become a purer, more traditional Conservative party as a result and will reduce Liberal dilution of Toryism and Social Democratic dilution of the LDs. Win, win
    Hahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Lucywwatson/status/1435006036805566468

An issue that I would like to be solved - and I am sure it might be if our lot could be bothered to vote.

Honestly if they don't vote in 2024, I might move to Switzerland
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's a left-wing view.

Ta-ra.
    Keep losing votes and you can have pure Conservativism from the Opposition benches like you did under IDS instead of compromising your principles then but getting some of what you want from being in government.

You really are a blue Corbynite.
  • Options

I would be very interested to know the response to this suite of policies from the Lib Dem 2024 target seats? Anyone know?

It's a massive transfer of national wealth from North to South. So pretty well I guess. Doesn't level up, but good electoral politics.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

I remain unconvinced, he has the "not Starmer" bounce right now. But I am headed in your direction, I will say that.
    Di you listen to his interview on R4 this morning ?
    He had his own plan for social care funding, expressed well the [principles on which is was based, and echoed the critiques of the NI rise that have made you and others on here so angry.

Whether one agrees with him or not, it was a coherent performance worthy of a leader of the opposition, something that Starmer has failed to display since he became leader.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Pulpstar said:

Both/ Neither.

Fuck Knows

If your opponents implement your policies you could say it is mission accomplished.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Q: do we have as many Conservative supporters on here now as we did at 8am this morning?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited September 2021

It was far better IMO when most things were done by phone, because the person on the other end of the phone had to deal with it there and then and couldn't try to fob you off. With email and other similar systems, people can accidentally-on-purpose not bother to attend to the matter in hand for a long time.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited September 2021
    Sounds to me like this might unravel; I don't think it's anywhere near enough to solve all the social care funding issues (not just the elderly). I suspect what's happened is:

Sajid: Rishi, the NHS is going to be fucked within a year, bankrupt. Covid, waiting lists etc. We need to pump more money in.
    Rishi: Can't do that - watch my lips, no tax rises. We promised.
    Boris: I've got an idea! Let's pretend to solve the social care problem by raising NI, but we'll actually use most of the money raised to pump into the NHS. Nobody will ever notice.
    Sajid and Rishi: Genius, Boris. Let's do it. You always said you had a plan for social care, though you never shared it before.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's a left-wing view.

Ta-ra.
    Keep losing votes and you can have pure Conservativism from the Opposition benches like you did under IDS instead of compromising your principles then but getting some of what you want from being in government.

You really are a blue Corbynite.
    I have always said I would rather lose as a Tory than win as a Liberal
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    dixiedean said:

It's a massive transfer of national wealth from North to South. So pretty well I guess. Doesn't level up, but good electoral politics.
    Yep - were I the labour candidate around here I know what I would be talking about for the next 3 years.

And I suspect that will give them a chance.
  • Options
    When you start taking more money out of people's pockets they need to see the difference it is making. That is the basic challenge for the Tories now. They have to deliver.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Q: do we have as many Conservative supporters on here now as we did at 8am this morning?

QTWAIN.
  • Options

I wonder what other services that LAs provide are also suffering, WFH does not work in the public sector.
This discussion has been closed.