Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If you’re betting on Raab as next PM/Con leader look away now – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Just finished an 8.5-mile run.

Too. F*****g. Hot.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Mammoth Cabinet on social care reform lasted two-and-a-half hours and at least three of Boris Johnson's top ministers criticised the plan to hike tax to pay for it, source tells me.

Not all "positive", as No 10 said.

https://twitter.com/singharj/status/1435193944397189127

I would love it if one of the Cabinet, perhaps Truss could do it, were to resign over this.

Would be a potential future Leader who has stood up for low taxes and honouring the manifesto "guarantee".
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited September 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

So literally the only group not being hit now are wealthy pensioners. The Tory party is scum.

The social care cap is reported to be £80,000, so all assets over that will have to be used to defray the persons own care costs
    For residential social care yes, not at home social care where the home would still be exempt from charges
    You said you would oppose tax rises higher than 1% only yesterday.

If as reported it is 1.2% then are you a man of your word?
    Rounded up that is 1% not 2%
    Come on that is silly
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited September 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

So literally the only group not being hit now are wealthy pensioners. The Tory party is scum.

The social care cap is reported to be £80,000, so all assets over that will have to be used to defray the persons own care costs
    For residential social care yes, not at home social care where the home would still be exempt from charges

That's pathetic, no its not. Your tax doesn't get rounded to percentages on your wages.
    It is basic primary school maths that 1.2% rounded up to the nearest whole number would be 1%, it would need to be 1.5% or more to be 2%
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: I understand care plan is as follows…

1. Cap of £86k
    2. Floor of £100k
    3. 1.25% hike NI
    4. Raises £36bn
    5. BUT vast majority goes to NHS. Only £5.4bn for care.
    6. Of that £5.4bn, £2.5bn funds care cap. Leaves £2.9bn over 3 years for reform. Care leaders furious.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1435198238848700416

BoZo breaks 2 manifesto promises to fix a problem, and doesn't fix it.

What does the floor mean?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Canadian election — Eric Grenier's latest forecast:

"What are the chances of each party winning

10% probability of the Liberals winning a majority
    44% probability of the Liberals winning the most seats but not a majority
    41% probability of the Conservatives winning the most seats but not a majority
    5% probability of the Conservatives winning a majority"

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

And 90% chance of O'Toole's Conservatives winning most seats excluding Quebec and if Trudeau's Liberals win most seats it will be because the Liberals win most seats in Quebec while the Conservatives are still third there
    Yes, but. Quebec is part of Canada. Unless you are a new fan of separatism?
    No, I have no problem with Quebec making the difference in Canada for the first time since Trudeau's father Pierre won in 1980 despite Joe Clark's Progressive Conservatives winning most seats in English speaking Canada.

Just as I have no problem with Scottish seats making Starmer PM even if the Tories have a majority in England at the next general election as I am a Unionist .

Just noted the fact
    Fair enough. It might be an idea, longer term, for the Tories to stop giving the impression they don't like Quebec, feckless Quebeckers draining the productive parts of the country, nor the French language.
    Not real Canadians in essence.
    The Province is older, more rural, and more socially conservative than most of Canada after all. And has just under 25% of the seats.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2021

Scott_xP said:

Mammoth Cabinet on social care reform lasted two-and-a-half hours and at least three of Boris Johnson's top ministers criticised the plan to hike tax to pay for it, source tells me.

I would love it if one of the Cabinet, perhaps Truss could do it, were to resign over this.

Would be a potential future Leader who has stood up for low taxes and honouring the manifesto "guarantee".
    To be credible, they’d need to say what else they would tax to pay for social care, though. That’s the difficult bit.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

1. Cap of £86k
    2. Floor of £100k
    3. 1.25% hike NI
    4. Raises £36bn
    6. Of that £5.4bn, £2.5bn funds care cap. Leaves £2.9bn over 3 years for reform. Care leaders furious.

People with assets below £100K will pay nothing iirc.
  • Options
    ping said:

Scott_xP said:

They’d need to say how they were going to pay for social care, though. That’s the difficult bit.
    Low taxes, better wages, more productivity and grow the economy leading to better tax revenues.

You might consider it a Conservative proposal.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Ah ha. Clearer now. This is not using a tax rise to fix social care, it's using Covid as cover for a tax rise for the NHS, and pretending that the funds raised will also fix social care, thus getting Johnson off the hook of his promise on that score. Smoke and mirrors. There is no Social Care Plan, not really, it's going to have to wait a bit longer, probably until there's a Labour PM.

You must be happy though with a Brownian tax rise to raise money for the NHS.

I am not.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

And 90% chance of O'Toole's Conservatives winning most seats excluding Quebec and if Trudeau's Liberals win most seats it will be because the Liberals win most seats in Quebec while the Conservatives are still third there
    No, I have no problem with Quebec making the difference in Canada for the first time since Trudeau's father Pierre won in 1980 despite Joe Clark's Progressive Conservatives winning most seats in English speaking Canada.

Just as I have no problem with Scottish seats making Starmer PM even if the Tories have a majority in England at the next general election as I am a Unionist .

Just noted the fact
    Fair enough. It might be an idea, longer term, for the Tories to stop giving the impression they don't like Quebec, feckless Quebeckers draining the productive parts of the country, nor the French language.
    The Province is older, more rural, and more socially conservative than most of Canada after all. And has just under 25% of the seats.
    Indeed and under Brian Mulroney in 1984 and 1988 the Progressive Conservatives even won most seats in Quebec
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

That's pathetic, no its not. Your tax doesn't get rounded to percentages on your wages.
    It is basic primary school maths that 1.2% rounded up to the nearest whole number would be 1%, it would need to be 1.5% or more to be 2%
    For once be sensible
  • Options

Too. F*****g. Hot.

Indeed. I've been oiling decking all morning. It's broiling out there.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited September 2021
    kinabalu said:

Ah ha. Clearer now. This is not using a tax rise to fix social care, it's using Covid as cover for a tax rise for the NHS, and pretending that the funds raised will also fix social care, thus getting Johnson off the hook of his promise on that score. Smoke and mirrors. There is no Social Care Plan, not really, it's going to have to wait a bit longer, probably until there's a Labour PM.

This is just wrong. A social cap was recommended by the Dilnot Report as a key plank - indeed *the* key plank of social care reform, and with good reason.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Leon said:

Leon said:

King Cole, not sure. Languages can evolve in odd ways.

I think admiral means emir of the sea, and someone here once stated that blighty is, ultimately, derived from Arabic (ironically, so is alcohol, hence the 'al' at the start).

There’s a lovely linguistic theory about the word ‘alcohol’ - which is so pleasing I’ve never properly researched it, just in case it ain’t true

The theory is that ‘alcohol’ is the oldest word used by humans, as it can be traced all the way back - via primitive Arabic - to Sumerian, the first written language of all.

As a quasi-functional quasi-alcoholic I find this delightfully satisfying. In fact I may celebrate this fact, for the 78tj time, in a cafe in ancient Bellinzona, where I am now headed on a stupidly clean and efficient Swiss train
    Another satisfying fact:

Throughout history only one society invented an alphabet unprompted (the Phoenicians) from which all other alphabets have evolved - all other unrelated societies that invented writing used pictograms instead.

However almost every society across the globe independently invented alcohol. The Australian Aborigines and Kiwi Maoris, and North American Inuit are the only exceptions I know of though there may be a few more it isn't many.

Alcohol is much more natural for humans than the alphabet is.
    Some of the Native Aussies had alcohol. Used to do quite a dramatic lecture which started with skinning a kangaroo, filling the skin with water, flowers and fruits and leaving it in the sun.
    Students used to (ahem) lap it up.
    And I'm sure the Maori had some sort of fermented roots.
    Is there any human society with NO form of intoxication? It is remarkably universal

Even the first Mormons got high

Little known fact: early Mormon pioneers drank a brew called ‘Mormon tea’, which was a tisane made from a desert shrub suffused with ephedrine-type stimulants

Yes; used to have to talk to student pharmacy technicians about such things; researching that was where I found the Native Australians skinning kangaroos (etc). All the societies I looked had some form of happy, get away from the day's cares 'drug;. Had some Saudi students once though who swore that they didn't...
    There's an interesting article on Muslim attitudes to addiction and intoxicants here:
    https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/5/3/912/htm

It raises the interesting question of what would be the attitude towards psychedelics, some of which might well escape the proscriptions regarding intoxication or societal harm.
  • Options
    Tory members & Red Wall voters have competing preferences over fiscal policy. Reflected in priorities of @BorisJohnson vs @RishiSunak
    Still, it's amazing how mismanaged the process over social care has been
    Wait for debate over: levelling up, net-zero, new manifesto commitments

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1435202323953893377?s=20
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited September 2021

Scott_xP said:

No manifesto guarantee is an actual guarantee, I think it is a mistake to harp on about the mere fact of breaking the manifesto pledge - since no one believes it is always wrong to go against such pledges if circumstances change it just looks obstructive and a way of avoiding more difficult questions about criticising specific proposals by taking an out.

The question is whether a manifesto breach is, in principle, justified, and I think given the dire situation of Social Care the answer to that is Yes for most people.

So the follow up is whether this specific way of breaching the manifesto is justified, to which many people might more reasonably say No. The smart MPs will be saying this is not the right way to address the issue because it is ineffective on top of being a manifesto breach. The dumb and cowardly MPs will just say 'we must keep our word/I stood on this proposal'.

So Cabinet Ministers resigning over it have a slightly tougher bar to reach when justifying it, since to be taken seriously they will need to say why this proposal doesn't work, and implicitly it would be a good idea for them to detail their alternative, just as will be demanded of the opposition.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

If I round my tax take to the nearest whole number and send only 1% to HMRC instead of 1.2% then will HMRC say "oh that's primary school maths, we're fine with that"?

There is no need to round it. 1.2% is the figure, no rounding necessary, and it is higher than 1%
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

ping said:

BBC

Government expected to raise tax on share dividends

Interesting - Perhaps the govt was kite flying with the NI rise and will find a more popular way of funding it.
    NI rise has been agreed in cabinet this morning so that is certain but the more detailed changes including share dividend taxation will no doubt accompany the statement

And the BBC said this morning the NI rise is popular with 65% support according to the polling
    Eh?

First I’ve heard re: dividends. Do you have a source?

Ta
    BBC news channel in last 5 minutes
    Cheers.

As I posted last night, the 7.5% rate is absurd.
    Not really, there used to be no tax at all becuse the divi is already net of corporation tax, so to tax it in the recipient's hands is taxing it twice.
    Successive governments have really buggered up the corporation tax and dividends link. Brown started it, Osbourne promised to correct it and made it worse. Hammond continued. Looks like it will continue.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

For once be sensible
    Social care and the NHS costs of Covid need to be funded somehow and a less than 1.5% rise in NI is a better alternative in my view than the alternatives of an increase in income tax or inheritance tax or a wealth tax or a dementia tax.

If you want income tax to rise or a wealth tax then vote Labour if you want a shift in tax from income to wealth vote LD, obviously as Tories we will not do it or hit our core vote.

As a Tory I would be more concerned by the rumoured freeze in the Triple Lock on our vote than a less than 1.5% rise in NI
  • Options
    Whatever the merits of this policy, announcing the plan today and voting on it tomorrow isn't on, is it?

NEW: Understand there will be a vote in the Commons tomorrow on the NI rise. PM clearly keen to push thru quickly and avoid a space for growing and vocal opposition to his plan to build

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1435191907274133509?s=20

(It's the Euro Trade Deal vote playbook, natch. Except that there was a plausible, if self created, urgency there. This clearly doesn't need to be voted on tomorrow.)
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189

kinabalu said:

This is just wrong. A social cap was recommended by the Dilnot Report as a key plank - indeed *the* key plank of social care reform, and with good reason.
    Its all basically Dilnot isnt it, higher threshold to start paying, cap on lifetime liability to pay, hope a private sector insurance market emerges because the cap creates certainty on the worst case and only some of the rest get anywhere near that amount - so premium costs v £80k of care costs would be low. Presumably only difference from the Labour proposal then was where the tax take comes from?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited September 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Rounded to the nearest whole number. Not rounded 'up' to nearest the whole number. (Leaving aside the issue of why one would round in this situation)

I'd think this was funny if not for your timeout showing you don't do this sort of thing as a joke. Everyone makes inconsequential errors.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

For once be sensible
    Social care and the NHS costs of Covid need to be funded somehow and a less than 1.5% rise in NI is a better alternative in my view than the alternatives of an increase in income tax or inheritance tax or a wealth tax or a dementia tax.

If you want income tax to rise or a wealth tax then vote Labour if you want a shift in tax from income to wealth vote LD, obviously as Tories we will not do it or hit our core vote
    You've gone in the space of a week from "no tax rises" to "no more than 1%" to "no more than 1.5%"

You're such a partisan hack and have no principles. You'll just back whatever the line to take today is.

If Boris came out in favour of a new Independence Referendum you'd be shouting how good an idea it is to now have a referendum but that there must be no more after that.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    Reshuffle latest: Whitehall officials increasingly think Boris Johnson *is* planning to shake up his Cabinet on Thursday. "I'm more confident today," one well placed mandarin says. But some still think it could all be a ruse to keep MPs and ministers in line on social care.
    https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1435203729955991557
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

For once be sensible

If you want income tax to rise or a wealth tax then vote Labour if you want a shift in tax from income to wealth vote LD, obviously as Tories we will not do it or hit our core vote
    I thought 1% was your absolute maximum, oh, I don't know, 5 hours ago?

That is a good 2/3 of your nice new absolute maximum.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

King Cole, not sure. Languages can evolve in odd ways.

I think admiral means emir of the sea, and someone here once stated that blighty is, ultimately, derived from Arabic (ironically, so is alcohol, hence the 'al' at the start).

There’s a lovely linguistic theory about the word ‘alcohol’ - which is so pleasing I’ve never properly researched it, just in case it ain’t true

The theory is that ‘alcohol’ is the oldest word used by humans, as it can be traced all the way back - via primitive Arabic - to Sumerian, the first written language of all.

As a quasi-functional quasi-alcoholic I find this delightfully satisfying. In fact I may celebrate this fact, for the 78tj time, in a cafe in ancient Bellinzona, where I am now headed on a stupidly clean and efficient Swiss train
    Another satisfying fact:

Throughout history only one society invented an alphabet unprompted (the Phoenicians) from which all other alphabets have evolved - all other unrelated societies that invented writing used pictograms instead.

However almost every society across the globe independently invented alcohol. The Australian Aborigines and Kiwi Maoris, and North American Inuit are the only exceptions I know of though there may be a few more it isn't many.

Alcohol is much more natural for humans than the alphabet is.
    Some of the Native Aussies had alcohol. Used to do quite a dramatic lecture which started with skinning a kangaroo, filling the skin with water, flowers and fruits and leaving it in the sun.
    Students used to (ahem) lap it up.
    And I'm sure the Maori had some sort of fermented roots.
    Is there any human society with NO form of intoxication? It is remarkably universal

Even the first Mormons got high

Little known fact: early Mormon pioneers drank a brew called ‘Mormon tea’, which was a tisane made from a desert shrub suffused with ephedrine-type stimulants

Yes; used to have to talk to student pharmacy technicians about such things; researching that was where I found the Native Australians skinning kangaroos (etc). All the societies I looked had some form of happy, get away from the day's cares 'drug;. Had some Saudi students once though who swore that they didn't.
    Didn't know about the Mormons though. Pity; that would have been good.

The Inuit must have had something though; wonder what they could ferment?
    On reflection though, was the lack of 'native' alcohol why they and the other Native (North) Americans got hammered so quickly? And fleeced by the Europeans.
    The prevalence of gene variants which facilitate alcohol metabolism (which can make a tenfold or more difference in its rapidity) varies widely between populations, so there's almost certainly some evolutionary element to that.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

If I round my tax take to the nearest whole number and send only 1% to HMRC instead of 1.2% then will HMRC say "oh that's primary school maths, we're fine with that"?

There is no need to round it. 1.2% is the figure, no rounding necessary, and it is higher than 1%
    I fancy giving that a go, sounds like a cracking idea. Maybe HYUFD could write a paper in support that we could send with our tax returns.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    On the subject of the day - fair play to the government for trying to do something about social care, something that’s been in the too-difficult pile for a long time. But NI is just about the worst possible tax to increase for it.

Being bold, would be taking the opportunity of merging NI into income tax.
  • Options
    It's our NHS front and centre, not social care. At least some honesty.
    Some.
  • Options

It isn't a floor...

Bit more detail on £100k floor:

Not quite a floor as costs will be tapered between £20k-100k so individual still contributes but state helps.

But main reaction from care sector is about overall funding here - falls way short of what they feel they need and seems more about NHS.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1435204029815087106
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

For once be sensible

No, that would be 1.66%
  • Options

Too. F*****g. Hot.

Indeed. I've been oiling decking all morning. It's broiling out there.
    Rose at 11. Two black coffees and 3 cigarettes. Summoning up the energy to wash up.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

kinabalu said:

If you are capping costs to allow the children of elderly parents in Surrey to keep their inheritance it's possible to attack the NI tax rise.

If the only thing announced is an NI rise to pay for NHS and social care - there is little that can be attacked.

Now personally the fix is a wealth tax targeting property (for anything else is difficult to attack) but I can see why it doesn't get very far.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Just noted the fact
    Indeed and under Brian Mulroney in 1984 and 1988 the Progressive Conservatives even won most seats in Quebec
    The BQ did not exist then.

The BQ took Tory seats in conservative, rural, Francophone Quebec. This makes it more difficult for the Canadian Tories to win a majority.

In essence, it is the converse of what happened here, where the SNP took primarily Labour seats, making it more difficult for Labour to win a majority.

But, surely, Justin is in trouble as there appears no sensible reason why anyone should hold an unnecessary election in the middle of a feckin pandemic.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

For once be sensible

You've gone in the space of a week from "no tax rises" to "no more than 1%" to "no more than 1.5%"

You're such a partisan hack and have no principles. You'll just back whatever the line to take today is.

If Boris came out in favour of a new Independence Referendum you'd be shouting how good an idea it is to now have a referendum but that there must be no more after that.
    No I wouldn't, I will always oppose an indyref2 until a generation after 2014.

I have always made clear I support NI as the best route to fund social care and the NHS alongside voluntary private insurance for care, so no change in my position. The less than 1.5% rise in NI is fine with me
  • Options
    Mr. Romford, it's a wretched strategy from a cowardly PM.

And, once more, money is there to be shovelled into the insatiable maw of the NHS instead of social care, which is meant to be the whole point of the tax rises.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Boris making a virtue of National Insurance being a tax on business...
  • Options
    This feels a lot like a government wanting to pass off a tax hike in a way the public will accept than a government with an actual plan on social care.

Feels like it's more about the deficit than about anything else.

https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/1435205616428101632?s=20
  • Options
    1.25% on both Employee and Employer NI.

2.5% increase in tax.

Bye Boris and Sunak. Lost my support.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Tax on jobs 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited September 2021
    Scott_xP said:

1. Cap of £86k
    2. Floor of £100k
    3. 1.25% hike NI
    4. Raises £36bn

That looks OK, I'd adjust point (3) to 1.25% hike income tax though.
  • Options
    The NI will be 1.25 from April and will be hypothecated.

As an aside the Green Party introduced a NHS hypothecated tax policy in its manifesto about fifteen years ago.
  • Options

1.25% on both Employee and Employer NI.

2.5% increase in tax.

Bye Boris and Sunak. Lost my support.

Oh lol ffsake. So it was 2.5%, not 1.25% !
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Sky

Vote on proposals to be held tomorrow

Panic already?
    Apparently the cabinet approved the detail this morning

12.30 - Boris in HOC

4.00pm - Boris, Rishi and Sajid press conference
    And a vote in tomorrow to compel people to vote via loyalty rather than debating the issues or giving a rebellion a chance to build.

Cynical, but smart politics.
    It is all politics in the end
    A note for you from Zahawi's interview this morning...
    Was in not "childish" (your choice of epithet) of him to call the government's plans a "truly historic and ambitious reform", if he refused to say what they were ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Just noted the fact

The BQ took Tory seats in conservative, rural, Francophone Quebec. This makes it more difficult for the Canadian Tories to win a majority.

In essence, it is the converse of what happened here, where the SNP took primarily Labour seats, making it more difficult for Labour to win a majority.

But, surely, Justin is in trouble as there appears no sensible reason why anyone should hold an unnecessary election in the middle of a feckin pandemic.
    They were more swing seats as the same Quebec seats which vote for Mulroney also voted for Pierre Trudeau and are voting for Justin Trudeau now having been BQ in the 1990s and 2000s and NDP in 2011.

I expect Trudeau to fail to get a majority but still win most seats but with a small swing to the Tories since 2019 and O'Toole winning the popular vote
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2021
    When Boris said f##k business....more tax on jobs, more tax on share dividends....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Whatever the merits of this policy, announcing the plan today and voting on it tomorrow isn't on, is it?

NEW: Understand there will be a vote in the Commons tomorrow on the NI rise. PM clearly keen to push thru quickly and avoid a space for growing and vocal opposition to his plan to build

(It's the Euro Trade Deal vote playbook, natch. Except that there was a plausible, if self created, urgency there. This clearly doesn't need to be voted on tomorrow.)

They know a debate on this policy is a massive vote loser. It's completely cynical and hopefully the speaker will force a much longer dated vote.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It isn't a floor...

Bit more detail on £100k floor:

Not quite a floor as costs will be tapered between £20k-100k so individual still contributes but state helps.

But main reaction from care sector is about overall funding here - falls way short of what they feel they need and seems more about NHS.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1435204029815087106
    That's also in Dilnot; I agree "cap" is a strange choice of phrase though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

For once be sensible

I have always made clear I support NI as the best route to fund social care and the NHS alongside voluntary private insurance for care, so no change in my position. The less than 1.5% rise in NI is fine with me
    But it's 2.5%!
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Trudeau's been hit by stones:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58472456

No injury, but pretty barbaric. I think he's daft, but politicians must be able to campaign without risk of violence.

they should spend every waking minute in fear of the citizens

virtue without terror is impotent... robespierre
    Robespierre was a shit.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

tlg86 said:

Tax on jobs 🤦‍♂️
    Yep. It was a tax on jobs when Labour proposed it, and it’s a tax on jobs now the Tories are proposing it.

I’m expecting ministerial resignations before the vote tomorrow.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

For once be sensible

No, that would be 1.66%
    I have a wall available if anyone would like to use it to bang their head against.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

They know a debate on this policy is a massive vote loser. It's completely cynical and hopefully the speaker will force a much longer dated vote.
    Using NI is completely cynical too - allows a headline increase of 1.25% when the reality is 1.25% for the employee directly from their pay packet and another 1.25% for business on top..
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Barnstorming speech from Boris.

As things stand I will vote for him in 2024 unless Labour steps up with proper alternatives.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

For once be sensible

No, that would be 1.66%
    1 is 66% of 1.5.

Your figure would be correct only if we were talking about 3 and 5, or 1 and 5/3.
  • Options
    The phrase “up shit creek” comes to mind… https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1435184591925547011
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2021

As things stand I will vote for him in 2024 unless Labour steps up with proper alternatives.

Wow. You serious?

Quite the political journey you’ve been on!
  • Options

When Boris said f##k business....more tax on jobs, more tax on share dividends....

Quite right too.

Well done Boris
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

No injury, but pretty barbaric. I think he's daft, but politicians must be able to campaign without risk of violence.

they should spend every waking minute in fear of the citizens

virtue without terror is impotent... robespierre
    Robespierre was a shit.
    He met a very unpleasant end
  • Options
    The people actually needing the care won't pay for it.

So the next time I am told to pay my way and pay back my student loan, I am going to say no, somebody else's problem
  • Options
    As an aside, I'd be very happy if the government were openly addressing the deficit, which has been ignored ever since May's idiotic approach to shunning a key Conservative strength.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

So the next time I am told to pay my way and pay back my student loan, I am going to say no, somebody else's problem

They paid in for NI all their working lives, if they need residential care they already have to sell their homes to pay for it
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Sky

Vote on proposals to be held tomorrow

Panic already?
    Apparently the cabinet approved the detail this morning

12.30 - Boris in HOC

4.00pm - Boris, Rishi and Sajid press conference
    And a vote in tomorrow to compel people to vote via loyalty rather than debating the issues or giving a rebellion a chance to build.

Cynical, but smart politics.
    It is all politics in the end
    A note for you from Zahawi's interview this morning...
    Was in not "childish" (your choice of epithet) of him to call the government's plans a "truly historic and ambitious reform", if he refused to say what they were ?
    No as it was seeking details before the announcement
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

They paid in for NI all their working lives
    Then they can pay for my tuition fees
  • Options
    Great stuff from Boris even admitting he broke manifesto pledge.

Has my full support on this policy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Just noted the fact

Neither did Reform. The rise of Reform, as an openly Western Party, which later united with the PC, has made the Tories less attractive out East.
    O'Toole is running as PC, not Reform. Which is why they are making some inroads.
  • Options
    For once, a good joke by Starmer at the start of his reply.
  • Options
    Go Boris!!!!

Finally. Dilnot.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

No manifesto guarantee is an actual guarantee, I think it is a mistake to harp on about the mere fact of breaking the manifesto pledge - since no one believes it is always wrong to go against such pledges if circumstances change it just looks obstructive and a way of avoiding more difficult questions about criticising specific proposals by taking an out.

The question is whether a manifesto breach is, in principle, justified, and I think given the dire situation of Social Care the answer to that is Yes for most people.

So the follow up is whether this specific way of breaching the manifesto is justified, to which many people might more reasonably say No. The smart MPs will be saying this is not the right way to address the issue because it is ineffective on top of being a manifesto breach. The dumb and cowardly MPs will just say 'we must keep our word/I stood on this proposal'....
    Of course it's not. They promised fundamentally to sort out social care ("I have a plan" etc) at the same time as they promised not to raise NI.
    From what's emerged so far, they're going to break both those promises.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Using NI is completely cynical too - allows a headline increase of 1.25% when the reality is 1.25% for the employee directly from their pay packet and another 1.25% for business on top..
    Yup and the workers most likely to be hit by the employer NI rise are lower paid unskilled ones who already struggle to get reasonable pay rises.
  • Options

Great stuff from Boris even admitting he broke manifesto pledge.

Has my full support on this policy.

It was a v good turn by Johnson.

No signs of that old Long Covid this morning.

• Options

HYUFD said:

That boat sailed in 2017 when right wing Labour undermined a Corbyn win. See Forde for more information.

• Options

You just defined the NHS
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Just noted the fact

Neither did Reform. The rise of Reform, as an openly Western Party, which later united with the PC, has made the Tories less attractive out East.
    O'Toole is running as PC, not Reform. Which is why they are making some inroads.
    Yet still not enough and a long way from Mulroney when the Tories won most seats in Quebec, O'Toole's Quebec vote is up a bit but the Tories are still 3rd there behind he Liberals and BQ
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

They paid in for NI all their working lives, if they need residential care they already have to sell their homes to pay for it
    When are you going to get it into your thick skull. NI is a tax like any other. It isn't hypothecated to anything, the "NI fund" is a myth and you're a complete idiot if you think this new tax will ever remain at this level or hypothecated.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited September 2021
    kinabalu said:

It's not even a tax rise for the NHS. It's a general tax increase associated by the government with the NHS because the NHS sounds like a good thing to raise taxes for.

* edit rather than eg a barely functioning Test and Trace system that cost billions and billions or the dodgy PPE, also billions, supplied by cronies of the government.
  • Options

The people who get care will pay for it. There is a cap of £80K. They pay up to that if they have assets.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Looks like they will actually start to pay from as low as £20k, a taper from there to £100k.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    edited September 2021

Over my adult life the national insurance rate has more than doubled from 5.75% to 12% and is set to go higher today. Over the same period the basic rate of income tax has fallen from 34% to 20%. That tells you a lot about the politics of taxation.

https://twitter.com/nickmacpherson2/status/1435188351120908290?s=21

Quite... tax is the emotive word. However NI is getting higher every now and then and it won't be long before they are at parity. Them people will be talking about a 40pc basic rax rate. Much better to do away with the exempt rate slowly over 10 to 20 yrs yrs...rather than increase the N I rate.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited September 2021

Can I just take this opportunity to apologise to you for saying you boasted about your inheritance and that you did not

Though, if is fair to say you are benefiting from an inheritance that enables you to purchase a property in London and I am genuinely pleased for you
  • Options
    Sorry but did the Tories say that this can't be undone by future Governments.

Erhhh, that's not how it works...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Even Thatcher only got eggs
    Lloyd George got bricks wrapped in barbed wire.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Taxpayers used to pay for students' tuition fees but with 40% going now not 10% then it is now unaffordable to do so.

Fewer old people will need at home care only than the number of students going to university now
  • Options
    ping said:

Wow. You serious?

Quite the political journey you’ve been on!
    It is a profound moment for Johnson. He has done the right thing in bringing, finally, Dilnot after a decade of dither. He has overriden all the endless wingeing and moaning and dither and delay and can kicking and done something.

Action this day.
  • Options

I heard the PM say some of the tax increase would be hypothecated in law.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

For once be sensible

I have always made clear I support NI as the best route to fund social care and the NHS...
    I don't recall your objecting to the promise not to raise it at the time.
    Am I misremembering ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Taxpayers used to pay for students' tuition fees but with 40% going now not 10% then it is now unaffordable to do so.

Fewer old people will need at home care only than the number of students going to university now
    And yet it's affordable to pay more towards the NHS and elderly care.

Is it because they vote Tory? Hmmmmm
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2021
    Health and Social Care Levy will be stripped off from NICs from 2023 when HMRC have built the systems to take it from pay separately. What will that 1.25pc levy be by 2025? By 2030? Opens a door to a very easy tax to put up - or offer to - every election for all parties forever.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1435209091664781312?s=20

This is why I am always wary of any new taxes...like wealth tax, it will start with soak the rich, then it won't raise as much as it is suppose to, then well we need to take a bit from the upper middle class, and before you know it we are all paying a tax on our wealth.

Its also why UBI, in theory seems an interesting idea, provided the level is set exactly right, but the temptation will always to fiddle with it in interests of partisan politics. Such and such a group need an extra special bonus UBI payment, such and such a group don't need all of it...
  • Options
    Starmer standing up for both home owners and low wage workers. :)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I heard the PM say some of the tax increase would be hypothecated in law.
    No government can bind its successor. How long until the next one makes a technical change in a future budget that removes the spending tie.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And yet it's affordable to pay more towards the NHS and elderly care.

Is it because they vote Tory? Hmmmmm
    NHS and elderly care is probably more important than some of the degrees offered these days with 50% of people going to university.
  • Options

The people who get care will pay for it. There is a cap of £80K. They pay up to that if they have assets.
    Whiuch makes houseowners in, say, Gateshead much more likely to lose their houses than those in Epping, surely.

Is that a bug or a feasture?
  • Options
    SKS blah blah blah.

What's his alternative.

We know under Corbyn it would be a wealth tax. What is it under the useless nonentity in charge now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I don't like getting personal, but I'm afraid I read this and immediately thought 'What a twat'.

So now you are moving the goalposts to 1.5% before you raise the 'Down with this sort of thing' placard.
  • Options
    I am not sure Starmer is winning this
This discussion has been closed.