Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

For 78-year-old Biden not being Trump is no longer enough – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

What were they doing there in the first place?

EL CAJON, Calif. — At least 24 students from the Cajon Valley Union School District in El Cajon and 16 parents are stranded in Afghanistan after taking a summer trip abroad.
    They are among thousands of individuals waiting to leave the country amid political unrest caused by the U.S. military pullout after 20 years of occupation. The U.S. government is accelerating efforts to rescue Americans as the Taliban takes over the country.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-08-24/students-from-cajon-valley-school-district-stranded-in-afghanistan?utm_id=36108&sfmc_id=4509190

It seems 40% of El Cajon residents are ‘Iraqi-Americans’

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cajon,_California
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:
    It may well end up being India who we need alongside us to revitalise western values of freedom and democracy if the US under Biden and indeed much of the rest of the world is giving up the fight and plunging into self absorbed trashing of its own culture and heritage.

The West has abandoned the West. We are fucked
    More the left, particularly in the US, has abandoned the West.

They will not be in power forever, there will be a conservative counter reaction in due course, maybe a liberal one too.

JFK once inspired the world with these words on freedom, Biden has abandoned the fight but a future President will fight it again

'Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.'
    https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/kennedy.asp
    The left is not in power now. The blue team's been running the show for more than a decade. Oh look, something bad's happening. Let's blame "the left".
    In the US the left are in power and the US is the most powerful western nation still by far but unwilling to stand up to China, Russia and jihadi Islam and for western values instead of trashing them.

The Democrats control the Presidency and Congress and it is the woke left in the Democratic Party driving the agenda of hatred of western heritage and culture and Biden at the top leading US retreat from the world
    "In the US the left are in power"

I am not defending Biden's Afghan retreat, but that is a patently false statement.
    The tear down statutes movement, without even a plaque for context. The campaign to rewrite school and college curricula etc all started in the woke left in the US, a key voter base for the Democratic Party which now controls the White House and Congress
    Surely you tear up statutes, not tear them down?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    isam said:

Brexit, obvs:

Because a nationwide security of supply for beer, but also for other beverages such as water, lemonade or juice, has long ceased to be a matter of course in this country.

The reason: a massive and steadily worsening shortage of drivers. The Federal Association of Freight Transport, Logistics and Disposal (BGL) and the Federal Association of Freight Forwarding and Logistics (DSLV) have jointly calculated that between 45,000 and 60,000 professional drivers are currently lacking in Germany.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article231761025/Drohender-Versorgungskollaps-Es-fehlen-bis-zu-60-000-Lkw-Fahrer.html

Hardly. The issues in the UK are not unique and haven't been claimed as such. Our issues are *worse* because of Brexit.

An easy partial fix. Drop the most punitive restrictions on EU drivers working in the UK. Not ones based here, ones who drive a loaded truck in from France, work they way up and down the country making multiple stops then return with a different full load.

Our ban on cabotage makes it not economical for hauliers and their drivers to serve the UK (which is why so many have either stopped or are changing impossible prices) and means we are short of vehicles and drivers.

Allow the logistics network to function again and our problem is then comparable with Germany instead of twice as bad. We will still need to fix the lack of new drivers being trained but at least we won't be facing the Christmas peak being chaos.
    That would be a rational free-market thing to do, analogous to importing goods that can't be made cheaply here.

However, a lot of the votes for Brexit and Johnson were for Britain to use its new freedom to become more protectionist, not less. It's always an attractive electoral proposition, even though it tends to end up badly.

(What nearly everyone really wants deep down is protectionism for their job and a free market for everyone else's. That's as true for teachers and doctors as for taxi drivers. It's not a good thing, but it is rational, and acknowledging the worst about ourselves is generally a good thing.)
    I definitely voted for protectionism, it was the only reason I voted Leave, and I’d say the majority of other leave voters agreed. The ‘freedom to make trade deals’ vote was the 1993 Leave vote, that would never have got a referendum in a million years.

The protectionism should be for low paid jobs, and the free market for better paid jobs. I think Douglas Carswell, who was one of the ‘1993 freedom’ style leavers, suggested £25k as a cut off point
    Anecdotally it seems the jobs where pay has increased following Brexit are not the sub £25k ones, but the non degree jobs that pay £35-60k type ranges. Is that wrong?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

A minor story, but one that needs dealing with:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58334745

It's a classic religious versus secular situation, and one where I hope secularism wins.

Since the amendment was drafted in the HoL, it's a good example of how the Lords still fulfil a useful role.

But she is divorced according to the secular law and is free to marry again. It is her religious beliefs and willingness to comply with a religion that allows this sort of nonsense that has trapped her. The decision to comply with that is a personal choice.
    It's not just pressure from her: there might well be pressure from within her community as well.

I see abuse of the get by some men an archetype of where religion conflicts with secularism. It needs to stop, and this law change seems a reasonable way to do it.
    I’m struggling to see how this particular change in the law would achieve that, given according to the men concerned (yes, I know, Mandy Rice Davies applies) that would make it impossible for them to grant a religious divorce.

So even if they ended up in prison, you don’t resolve the ‘pressure within the community’ problem.
    This article has more details:
    https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/jewish-courts-placing-themselves-on-the-side-of-domestic-abusers-says-furious-peer-1.518341
    The problem is the existence of the Beth Din “court” in the first place. Same with Sharia “courts”.

If you want to live in the UK, then only the rules of UK courts should apply.
    Surely a ruling of a Sharia court in the UK does not apply legally?
    Legally no. Societally, very much so within such ‘communities’.
    And this is why its only mouth-breathers who get to upset by Sharia. It isn't "law", it doesn't apply to you. But the mohammedans want to force us all to follow it and grow a beard and blow ourselves up or whatever!!!

Meanwhile, the majority of British Muslims who don't follow Sharia scratch their heads and wonder what we're on.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:
    It may well end up being India who we need alongside us to revitalise western values of freedom and democracy if the US under Biden and indeed much of the rest of the world is giving up the fight and plunging into self absorbed trashing of its own culture and heritage.

They will not be in power forever, there will be a conservative counter reaction in due course, maybe a liberal one too.

JFK once inspired the world with these words on freedom, Biden has abandoned the fight but a future President will fight it again

'Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.'
    The left is not in power now. The blue team's been running the show for more than a decade. Oh look, something bad's happening. Let's blame "the left".
    In the US the left are in power and the US is the most powerful western nation still by far but unwilling to stand up to China, Russia and jihadi Islam and for western values instead of trashing them.

The Democrats control the Presidency and Congress and it is the woke left in the Democratic Party driving the agenda of hatred of western heritage and culture and Biden at the top leading US retreat from the world

I am not defending Biden's Afghan retreat, but that is a patently false statement.
    I THINK he means relatively, in US terms. Although in what world the Dems demonstrate 'hatred of western heritage' I can't imagine.
    I am not so sure. I suspect he works on a direct correlation between Corbyn Labour and the Dems and Cameron Conservatives and Trump's GOP
    In the US the Democrats are the leftwing party, the Republicans are the Tories sister party in the International Democrat Union.

Boris has even reportedly said after the Afghan withdrawal 'we would have been better off with Trump'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9916221/Blair-brands-Biden-imbecile-unnecessary-decision-quit-Afghanistan.html
    Two points, in reverse order
    One; Trump set up this withdrawal process. Not that I like the way it's been handled.
    Two: The Dems are only, generally, left, in American terms. They've one or two left-ish high profile members,..... AOC as example. but in many respect they seem like those on the left of the Tory party.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

It's a classic religious versus secular situation, and one where I hope secularism wins.

Since the amendment was drafted in the HoL, it's a good example of how the Lords still fulfil a useful role.

But she is divorced according to the secular law and is free to marry again. It is her religious beliefs and willingness to comply with a religion that allows this sort of nonsense that has trapped her. The decision to comply with that is a personal choice.
    It's not just pressure from her: there might well be pressure from within her community as well.

I see abuse of the get by some men an archetype of where religion conflicts with secularism. It needs to stop, and this law change seems a reasonable way to do it.
    I’m struggling to see how this particular change in the law would achieve that, given according to the men concerned (yes, I know, Mandy Rice Davies applies) that would make it impossible for them to grant a religious divorce.

So even if they ended up in prison, you don’t resolve the ‘pressure within the community’ problem.
    https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/jewish-courts-placing-themselves-on-the-side-of-domestic-abusers-says-furious-peer-1.518341
    The problem is the existence of the Beth Din “court” in the first place. Same with Sharia “courts”.

And this is why its only mouth-breathers who get to upset by Sharia. It isn't "law", it doesn't apply to you. But the mohammedans want to force us all to follow it and grow a beard and blow ourselves up or whatever!!!

Meanwhile, the majority of British Muslims who don't follow Sharia scratch their heads and wonder what we're on.
    They tend to follow the good bits. Probably give more, proportionately, to charity.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

It is not a completely clear cut issue to me, apart from religious courts should have zero legal weight, as is already the case.

If individuals choose to get a religious ruling on their life, I am not sure that process needs to be entirely banned, that seems like state over reach. However, if a religious ruling makes functioning in day to day society difficult, for example restrictions on access to local housing or employment, I think it fair for the state to intervene and protect the individual at that point.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

As I’m sure Ms @Cyclefree will point out later, the issue is that women in conservative Jewish and Muslim communities are being ostracised by those communities, because their husbands refuse to give them a “religious divorce”. This amendment is designed to legally class such actions as coercive behaviour, punishable under criminal law.

That such religious “courts” exist at all, is something that prevents these communities from integrating into wider British society, and exist primarily to force women to give up such rights as they are entitled to under British law.
  • Options

isam said:

Brexit, obvs:

Because a nationwide security of supply for beer, but also for other beverages such as water, lemonade or juice, has long ceased to be a matter of course in this country.

The reason: a massive and steadily worsening shortage of drivers. The Federal Association of Freight Transport, Logistics and Disposal (BGL) and the Federal Association of Freight Forwarding and Logistics (DSLV) have jointly calculated that between 45,000 and 60,000 professional drivers are currently lacking in Germany.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article231761025/Drohender-Versorgungskollaps-Es-fehlen-bis-zu-60-000-Lkw-Fahrer.html

Hardly. The issues in the UK are not unique and haven't been claimed as such. Our issues are *worse* because of Brexit.

An easy partial fix. Drop the most punitive restrictions on EU drivers working in the UK. Not ones based here, ones who drive a loaded truck in from France, work they way up and down the country making multiple stops then return with a different full load.

Our ban on cabotage makes it not economical for hauliers and their drivers to serve the UK (which is why so many have either stopped or are changing impossible prices) and means we are short of vehicles and drivers.

Allow the logistics network to function again and our problem is then comparable with Germany instead of twice as bad. We will still need to fix the lack of new drivers being trained but at least we won't be facing the Christmas peak being chaos.
    That would be a rational free-market thing to do, analogous to importing goods that can't be made cheaply here.

However, a lot of the votes for Brexit and Johnson were for Britain to use its new freedom to become more protectionist, not less. It's always an attractive electoral proposition, even though it tends to end up badly.

(What nearly everyone really wants deep down is protectionism for their job and a free market for everyone else's. That's as true for teachers and doctors as for taxi drivers. It's not a good thing, but it is rational, and acknowledging the worst about ourselves is generally a good thing.)
    I definitely voted for protectionism, it was the only reason I voted Leave, and I’d say the majority of other leave voters agreed. The ‘freedom to make trade deals’ vote was the 1993 Leave vote, that would never have got a referendum in a million years.

The protectionism should be for low paid jobs, and the free market for better paid jobs. I think Douglas Carswell, who was one of the ‘1993 freedom’ style leavers, suggested £25k as a cut off point
    Anecdotally it seems the jobs where pay has increased following Brexit are not the sub £25k ones, but the non degree jobs that pay £35-60k type ranges. Is that wrong?
    Don’t know. The ft article about meat packing warehouses says the entry level jobs have gone up from £18k to £22k. I guess there will be data in time
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I THINK he means relatively, in US terms. Although in what world the Dems demonstrate 'hatred of western heritage' I can't imagine.
    I am not so sure. I suspect he works on a direct correlation between Corbyn Labour and the Dems and Cameron Conservatives and Trump's GOP
    In the US the Democrats are the leftwing party, the Republicans are the Tories sister party in the International Democrat Union.

Boris has even reportedly said after the Afghan withdrawal 'we would have been better off with Trump'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9916221/Blair-brands-Biden-imbecile-unnecessary-decision-quit-Afghanistan.html
    One; Trump set up this withdrawal process. Not that I like the way it's been handled.
    Two: The Dems are only, generally, left, in American terms. They've one or two left-ish high profile members,..... AOC as example. but in many respect they seem like those on the left of the Tory party.
    BJ always thought ‘we would have been better off with Trump’, it’s just that he knew he had to keep quiet about it while he got busy buttering up the new boss.

How well I remember the breathless excitement on here over Biden phoning BJ first.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

It’s the minority that are the problem. If you invite 10 strangers to a party, and 2 of them smash the place up with baseball bats, saying the other 8 were embarrassed by their behaviour doesn’t make the original invite a good idea.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577

What were they doing there in the first place?

EL CAJON, Calif. — At least 24 students from the Cajon Valley Union School District in El Cajon and 16 parents are stranded in Afghanistan after taking a summer trip abroad.
    They are among thousands of individuals waiting to leave the country amid political unrest caused by the U.S. military pullout after 20 years of occupation. The U.S. government is accelerating efforts to rescue Americans as the Taliban takes over the country.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-08-24/students-from-cajon-valley-school-district-stranded-in-afghanistan?utm_id=36108&sfmc_id=4509190

Afghan Americans.
    If they've got dual citizenship they are up a well known creek without a paddle.

• Options
    isam said:

Brexit, obvs:

That's a legit argument. But it does have a couple of consequences.

One is that it's democratic to get a vote to stop importing low-paid workers. But a plausible consequence of that is that businesses move the jobs offshore and import the product of the low-paid workers instead. That doesn't work for every job, but it does for quite a lot of them. Hence Brexit supporting economists like Patrick Minford (not a FBPE type at all) predicting the end of manufacturing and agriculture in the UK (and thinking that a good thing, because we would get cheaper stuff and presumably the staff can be redeployed in cyber).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2019/01/28/brexit-to-destroy-u-k-car-manufacturing-lead-to-cheaper-imported-cars-increase-traffic-congestion/

You're right that Minford's Brexit would have got nowhere in a national vote. But they were a decisive small sliver to get the total to 52%. The trouble for the country trying to chart a course going forward is that the Johnson government has managed to appeal to both liberals and authoritarians. And whilst he is a genius at riding two.... horses, you can't do that forever.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

On Aghanistan it is actually the left of the Tory Party, Tugendhat, Ellwood etc who have been most scathing of Biden's withdrawal even if they also have little time for Trump
This discussion has been closed.