Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

For 78-year-old Biden not being Trump is no longer enough – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited August 2021

Exclusive: Defence Secretary Ben Wallace says British evacuation efforts in Kabul have been 'diverted' by bid to rescue animals cared for by ex-Royal Marine Pen Farthing

https://news.sky.com/story/exclusive-defence-secretary-ben-wallace-says-british-evacuation-efforts-in-kabul-have-been-diverted-by-bid-to-rescue-animals-cared-for-by-ex-royal-marine-pen-farthing-12390679

I wonder if Ben Wallace may resign once the immediate Afghan crisis is over? Reading between the lines, he seems fairly pissed off with Raab/FCO and with Boris (and/or Carrie), and he strikes me as if he may have a sense of honour/principle. Next Cabinet Minister out?
    16/1
  • Options

Carrie on up the Khyber with your animals

Pass on that one.
    Syd made a pass at everyone.
  • Options

Good to see that British troops are showing the bulldog spirit in Kabul.

Keeping the terrierists at bay.

And not being America's poodle.

Carrie’s barking.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Exclusive: Defence Secretary Ben Wallace says British evacuation efforts in Kabul have been 'diverted' by bid to rescue animals cared for by ex-Royal Marine Pen Farthing

https://news.sky.com/story/exclusive-defence-secretary-ben-wallace-says-british-evacuation-efforts-in-kabul-have-been-diverted-by-bid-to-rescue-animals-cared-for-by-ex-royal-marine-pen-farthing-12390679

I wonder if Ben Wallace may resign once the immediate Afghan crisis is over? Reading between the lines, he seems fairly pissed off with Raab/FCO and with Boris (and/or Carrie), and he strikes me as if he may have a sense of honour/principle. Next Cabinet Minister out?
    16/1
    Thanks. That's rather tempting.
  • Options

Leon said:
    Looks like Boris is on duty tonight.
    The wee beaker is for Boris.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited August 2021
    Andy_JS said:

The Canadian Conservatives now have a lead of about 0.5% with the latest polls. New ones being published all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2021_Canadian_federal_election#Campaign_period

Though the Conservatives had a popular vote lead of 1.2% at the last election in 2019 so that is actually a slight swing to Trudeau's party.

O'Toole's party need to get to about 36/37% to be assured of most seats
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1430582839834251266/photo/1

Ouch

Telegraph absolutely laying in to Biden in this carton

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,614

Carrie Antoinette priotising pets over people.

And some people still claim that this is not the worst government in living memory. How much more evidence does anyone need?
    Mr Wallace added that earlier this afternoon, he was told by officials that no such charter plane had been hired.

An MP on the call said that one had subsequently been paid for, but Mr Wallace shot back that "two hours ago when my officials talked to them, they had not secured a plane".
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

When even the cheerleaders are having a wee think to themselves.

https://twitter.com/c4ciaran/status/1430578846894592016?s=21

And

"Scot Burgess is the factory manager at Whitelink, a major Scottish seafood producer.

Single biggest challenge? ‘Labour shortage.’

Single biggest reason? ‘Brexit’."

What would he know?
    Well indeed, if you listened to Remainers then we're supposed to be having mass unemployment right now thanks to Brexit.
    That comment of yours butters no parsnips - and certainly batters no haddock.
    If anyone's suffering a labour shortage they can always try paying better wages to attract staff.

The minimum wage is supposed to be an absolute minimum not a maximum.
    Quite. And yet they have to supply the supermarkets. Who are about as moveable as that container ship in the Suez Canal.
    The market is pretty efficient.

If the supermarkets require stock they will pay what they need to do so, so the price will go up.

Or if they're outcompeted by other nations and importing it is cheaper then that's what we should do.

Either way, let the free market sort it out.

If supermarkets are inefficient then that's their problem they need to sort out, we don't need to change our laws to handle companies inefficiencies.
    Yes.

And there will be people who lose out from this - and that will be painful, and that sucks. But ultimately, one needs to let the market decide. Otherwise, we will end up with swapping a modern economy for one favoured industries get government support by the back door.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    dixiedean said:

ClippP said:

dixiedean said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Biden is an awful President who should never have won a primary let alone an election.

Still infinitely better than Trump. But the Democrats need to think hard on the primaries for 2024 or the GOP really will have an easy ride then (so long as they don't choose Trump again).

Only Biden could have beaten Trump imho.

That was his one last job.
    I think the problem (and I’ve said this before) come aback to the lack of profile among Democratic candidates. All three of Obama’s two Secretaries of State and vice-President were in their 60s/70s in 2016. There were simply no younger candidates forcing their way through. Of those three, apart from age, Kerry was already a failed candidate and Hilary Clinton was incredibly divisive. That left Biden carrying the torch. And he did it very well - he said all the right things - but he’s not showing what’s needed now to sort things out.

Somewhere, a younger candidate in their fifties should have been brought forward, perhaps by Biden or Kerry resigning and being replaced by somebody younger, somebody being groomed for the succession. Bad oversight by Obama that he didn’t do it.
    It is striking how US voters are willing to tolerate candidates way beyond the age at which most European countries would look for someone with a bit more energy.

I really don’t know whether the US clings onto some excessive respect for those with decades of experience, or whether the $-driven nature of US politics makes it difficult to get to the top of the greasy pole without decades of greasing the right palms and dispensing the right pork.
    Oldest PMs by age of departure from office

Gladstone 84
    Palmerston 80
    Churchill 80
    Disraeli 75
    Lord John Russell 73
    Lord Salisbury 72
    Campbell Bannerman 71
    Neville Chamberlain 71
    The Duke of Portland 71
    Lord Aberdeen 71
    Earl Grey 70

It is to my mind rather striking that only one of those was elected via a general election in the age of universal suffrage.

Equally, of course, Palmerston probably would have won elections under any franchise even in his seventies.

(And to be controversial, Chamberlain would easily have won an election in October 1938, although fortunately he had more sense than to call one.)
    You'd probably want to lop off about 5 years to their modern equivalents. Some of these were awful.
    No really awful ones. Russell and Campbell Bannermann weren’t great. Chamberlain had a lot of potential but was found wanting against a v tough test
    Campbell Bannerman wasn't great?
    For ahame.
    I thought Campbell Bannerman had a vastly larger number of seats at the 1906 election than poor old Johnson got in 2019.

And yet the Tory cheerleaders never stop talking about Johnson's 80 seat majority.

If that is the criterion, Campbell Bannerman wins hands down.
    He was put into bat as a minority by Balfour, in sure and certain knowledge that his government would collapse, he'd be ousted, and the Tories returned with a stonking majority.
    Instead he gained 216 seats and a majority of 125.
    Former Tory MEP David Campbell Bannerman is a relative, a great grand nephew, despite the fact he was a Liberal PM
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    It appears that Taliban chokehold around KBL airport is increasing. More checkpoints around and on the approach roads to the airport and other exit points from the city.

Meanwhile extractions from the Kabul and from elsewhere appear to be ongoing. Ther British are still at it night on night but the most significant new information is that the CIA are heavilty involved in try to collect people. They've been at it in other less public parts of the country for some time but it news of their effort is now reaching the public domain.

If there is one outfit that knows its way around Afghanistan its probably the CIA. Long multi generational association dating back to the Soviet era, led the way in 2001 and had a very deep network in the country. They have some serious assets to get out, can operate with high degree of independence and will be less encumbered than the uniforms by the DOD rules & restrictions. Not least they wont always call mother to make a decision, a major criticism of the ground operations at the airport.

Ther advice from both the UK & US is do not come to the airport on security grounds. That includes citizens and Afghans who are eligible. Combine this with inceased Taliban presence and you wonder, apart from Agfghans who they are clearly blocking, papers or not, are the Taliban going to do their damnest to keep some westerners trying to get out, in?

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Floater said:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1430582839834251266/photo/1

Ouch

Telegraph absolutely laying in to Biden in this carton

Just not funny clever or insightful.
  • Options

16/1
    It looks as if most books are shunning the next minister out market. I wonder if it is just too much hassle monitoring overnight rumours, or if there are too many complaints when a Cabinet reshuffle is settled as a ten-way dead heat.
  • Options
    Exclusive: Ministers are preparing to overhaul the EU GDPR rules and replace with new British data privacy laws

Oliver Dowden says will spell end to 'pointless' cookie requests and red tape for biz

But diverging threatens to spark fresh row with EU

https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1430649157312819207?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And

"Scot Burgess is the factory manager at Whitelink, a major Scottish seafood producer.

What would he know?
    Well indeed, if you listened to Remainers then we're supposed to be having mass unemployment right now thanks to Brexit.
    If anyone's suffering a labour shortage they can always try paying better wages to attract staff.

Quite. And yet they have to supply the supermarkets. Who are about as moveable as that container ship in the Suez Canal.

If the supermarkets require stock they will pay what they need to do so, so the price will go up.

Or if they're outcompeted by other nations and importing it is cheaper then that's what we should do.

If supermarkets are inefficient then that's their problem they need to sort out, we don't need to change our laws to handle companies inefficiencies.
    Yes.

And there will be people who lose out from this - and that will be painful, and that sucks. But ultimately, one needs to let the market decide. Otherwise, we will end up with swapping a modern economy for one favoured industries get government support by the back door.
    Let the market decide… unless it hurts Tory core voters.

Jocks, taffs and micks can be cleansed by the hurricane.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    isam said:

Bbc2 The Rolling Stones at the BBC

Gawd, I’d forgotten Keith’s junky teeth..
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077

Exclusive: Ministers are preparing to overhaul the EU GDPR rules and replace with new British data privacy laws

Oliver Dowden says will spell end to 'pointless' cookie requests and red tape for biz

We need to regard the EU as an essentially hostile power
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The Canadian Conservatives now have a lead of about 0.5% with the latest polls. New ones being published all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2021_Canadian_federal_election#Campaign_period

Though the Conservatives had a popular vote lead of 1.2% at the last election in 2019 so that is actually a slight swing to Trudeau's party.

O'Toole's party need to get to about 36/37% to be assured of most seats
    Yes. And it's a bit premature to put the Tories ahead. 338canada.com has LPC still projected ahead by 1.5%
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And

What would he know?

And the free market says, the price goes up. Which is actually not ideal for the people who shop in the supermarkets, is it? i.e. you and me?

Mind you, we also don't need to change our laws to handle wannabe house buyers' inefficiencies, do we? If there's a shortage of houses, the market will sort it by pushing prices up. An equilibrium will be arrived at. Sorted.
    Absolutely we should have a free market in housing, just like we should have a free market in food.

If there's a shortage of housing then companies will act to build new ones until the demand is satiated. Sorted.

Let the market and free acting individuals determine what they find a better use of land: agriculture, residential or A N Other purpose. No need for the state to regulate or interfere.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is the dullest thread in recent PB history

Not sure about that. Wasn't there one recently when someone kept sharing snaps of their holiday food with us?
    Possibly

But this thread has no focus, no argument, no interesting anecdotes, no totally random but fascinating information, no feuds being invoked or settled. The best threads combine all of this.

This is just low-watt waffle. Subdued lowbrow muttering. This is a thread on Fentanyl. This is like looking into the soul of CorrectHorseBattery

Come on PB, we can do better than this
    Well...a story to appeal to Leon, perhaps. When I lived in Switzerland as a rising young IT executive in a very respectable, slightly stuffy pharmaceuticals company, I had a girlfriend who was up for anything, so long as she hadn't done it before. The only way to keep her more or less faithful was to think up new ideas, at least one a month.

I went to London on business, and wandered round Ann Summers, looking for something to amuse her, and lighted on some furry bright red metal handcuffs. They were briefly quite fashionable - I think you could buy them in supermarkets too. I thought this a suitable gift, and headed for the airport with them in my briefcase.

Where, of course, they set off the alarm. "What are these, Sir?" enquired the customs official politely.

"Uh...a toy for children playing policemen."

"I see, Sir. Yes. Well, we have to put them in the hold. You might use them to imprison the pilot."

"I really wouldn't."

"We can't take the chance" (twinkle in the eye).

So, when I got back to Basel airport, where there was an excellent chance of running into one or more colleagues, the luggage arrived and decanted onto the rondel. 50 or so suitcases. And one pair of furry handcuffs, with a huge label attached: "Dr Nicholas Palmer".

You never saw anyone grab his luggage so fast.

Hah! Most unexpected

Gratitude
  • Options

Hard to see the upside – even if GDPR is a PITA, it is a trans-European PITA. And "allowing data to be used more flexibly" does not sound like the government will be increasing our protection.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

Another key announcement coming shortly is that the Government will be pursuing international data partnerships (adequacy agreements) with six countries, including US, South Korea and Australia.

But long term it also wants India, Brazil, Indonesia and Kenya.

https://twitter.com/harryyorke1/status/1430651585189879814
  • Options

Hard to see the upside – even if GDPR is a PITA, it is a trans-European PITA. And "allowing data to be used more flexibly" does not sound like the government will be increasing our protection.
    Getting rid of the cookie cutter nonsense would be a benefit for Brexit all by itself. It's a completely stupid and infuriating PITA that literally serves no purpose whatsoever.

Deregulation or smarter regulations shouldn't be solely about increasing our protection it's not a simple linear scale where more protection is always a good thing with no downside at all.
  • Options

Longer term, ministers also hope to strike agreements with rapidly emerging markets such as Brazil and India, which will help facilitate cross-border data flows in everything from law enforcement, GPS navigation, scientific research, to online banking and retail.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/08/25/web-cookie-requests-red-tape-scrapped-post-brexit-data-revolution/

While other nations look to protect their citizens' data, HMG looks to give ours away. We will be less protected than our peers in China and Russia. Cross-border data flows in GPS navigation ffs!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:
    It may well end up being India who we need alongside us to revitalise western values of freedom and democracy and the market economy if the US under Biden and indeed much of the rest of the west is giving up the fight and plunging into self absorbed trashing of its own culture and heritage.

• Options

Getting rid of the cookie cutter nonsense would be a benefit for Brexit all by itself. It's a completely stupid and infuriating PITA that literally serves no purpose whatsoever.

Deregulation or smarter regulations shouldn't be solely about increasing our protection it's not a simple linear scale where more protection is always a good thing with no downside at all.
    Surely this just means most companies will need to comply with two standards rather than one. If WIgan-based ACME plc has European customers, it will still need to comply with GDPR, aiui.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:
    It may well end up being India who we need alongside us to revitalise western values of freedom and democracy if the US under Biden and indeed much of the rest of the world is giving up the fight and plunging into self absorbed trashing of its own culture and heritage.

The West has abandoned the West. We are fucked
  • Options

Longer term, ministers also hope to strike agreements with rapidly emerging markets such as Brazil and India, which will help facilitate cross-border data flows in everything from law enforcement, GPS navigation, scientific research, to online banking and retail.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/08/25/web-cookie-requests-red-tape-scrapped-post-brexit-data-revolution/

While other nations look to protect their citizens' data, HMG looks to give ours away. We will be less protected than our peers in China and Russia. Cross-border data flows in GPS navigation ffs!
    Good.

"Protection"ism doesn't work. Good riddance to that unscientific, backwards, halfarsed bullshit.

If "protecting" our data is a good idea then why the hell did you want it shared with the rest of Europe in the first place? Why's it OK to share data with Austria but not Australia? Italy but not India?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:
    It may well end up being India who we need alongside us to revitalise western values of freedom and democracy if the US under Biden and indeed much of the rest of the world is giving up the fight and plunging into self absorbed trashing of its own culture and heritage.

More the left, particularly in the US, has abandoned the West.

They will not be in power forever, there will be a conservative counter reaction in due course, maybe a liberal one too.

JFK once inspired the world with these words on freedom, Biden has abandoned the fight but a future President will fight it again

'Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.'
    https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/kennedy.asp
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2021

Surely this just means most companies will need to comply with two standards rather than one. If WIgan-based ACME plc has European customers, it will still need to comply with GDPR, aiui.
    If there is a reason why its worth doing then companies are quite capable of handling multiple forms of standards.

With smart databases nowadays customers data is handled differently depending upon which individual opt-ins etc the customer has chosen or not chosen, what data they've offered over or not offered over.

It won't be beyond the wit of ACME plc to have a field in their database marking which clients data has to meet GDPR standards and which clients data does not, then using the freedoms gained from no longer being in the GDPR quagmire to have better use of data as appropriate to British standards with the data that doesn't require to be GDPR compliant.

Plenty of companies across the globe already do this. Many American websites will treat GDPR and non-GDPR visibly differently while others will do more subtly.

If a company decides its too much fuss they might just go with the lowest common denominator which may be GDPR. That's their choice if so, but it gives freedom for others to have smarter choices. That can only be a good thing for ACME surely?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

They will not be in power forever, there will be a conservative counter reaction in due course, maybe a liberal one too.

JFK once inspired the world with these words on freedom, Biden has abandoned the fight but a future President will fight it again

'Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.'
    The left is not in power now. The blue team's been running the show for more than a decade. Oh look, something bad's happening. Let's blame "the left".
  • Options

Good.

"Protection"ism doesn't work. Good riddance to that unscientific, backwards, halfarsed bullshit.

If "protecting" our data is a good idea then why the hell did you want it shared with the rest of Europe in the first place? Why's it OK to share data with Austria but not Australia? Italy but not India?
    I don't think HMG is proposing to stop sharing with Europe.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The left is not in power now. The blue team's been running the show for more than a decade. Oh look, something bad's happening. Let's blame "the left".
    “The Left” frequently blame someone who hasn’t been in power for over three decades and dead for nearly one…
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

How does one post pix on PB these days? Or is it basically verboten?

Attach image button on the comment box?
    But it stopped working recently

However I have now just attached an image and it works fine

BTW I would be impressed if any PB-er can guess what it shows
    If I want to put an image here I go to https://imgbb.com/ and paste the image there, then copy the URL link to the image and embed it here. You can use the add image button and paste the link there.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

In the US the left are in power and the US is the most powerful western nation still by far but unwilling to stand up to China, Russia and jihadi Islam and for western values instead of trashing them.

The Democrats control the Presidency and Congress and it is the woke left in the Democratic Party driving the agenda of hatred of western heritage and culture and Biden at the top leading US retreat from the world
  • Options

Good.

I don't think HMG is proposing to stop sharing with Europe.
    Quite rightly it shouldn't. Nor should it only share with Europe we should be going beyond just Europe. Data is global, it takes microseconds to send data across the globe so why the heck would you only trade data with 6% of the world's population?

Either you take the view that sharing data is a good thing, in which case you should welcome the ability to have trade deals with India, USA, Australia and more - or you think its a bad thing in which case you should be looking to stop trading data with Italy, France, Germany etc

I can't think of a single non-racist reason to say we should be trading data of all things with Europeans but not non-Europeans. Do you have one?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Oh, both sides yearn for things to row about, I wish they'd just acknowledge they both benefit from rowing all the time rather than getting uppity about it.
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking Arsenal won a football match today?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

And great call @isam
  • Options
    edited August 2021

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

That's politics. Gordon Brown was still trying the 'last tory government' line in his final year in office, unsuccessfully. The Tories will keep on using the 'last labour government' line as long as they possibly can - they'll use it in 2028/29 if they win the next GE.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

A major western nation will, in the next 10-20 years, elect an outright Fascist government, to try and stop the decline. The USA already elected Trump once, and nearly did it again (and then tried a coup)

The Left has no idea of the demons it is invoking. Madness
  • Options

If there is a reason why its worth doing then companies are quite capable of handling multiple forms of standards.

With smart databases nowadays customers data is handled differently depending upon which individual opt-ins etc the customer has chosen or not chosen, what data they've offered over or not offered over.

It won't be beyond the wit of ACME plc to have a field in their database marking which clients data has to meet GDPR standards and which clients data does not, then using the freedoms gained from no longer being in the GDPR quagmire to have better use of data as appropriate to British standards with the data that doesn't require to be GDPR compliant.

Plenty of companies across the globe already do this. Many American websites will treat GDPR and non-GDPR visibly differently while others will do more subtly.

If a company decides its too much fuss they might just go with the lowest common denominator which may be GDPR. That's their choice if so, but it gives freedom for others to have smarter choices. That can only be a good thing for ACME surely?
    So who benefits? ACME plc now has to service an additional standard. It's more work for them, not less. And British end-users might lose out if foreign companies decide, as some American firms did with GDPR, that it is just too much hassle so they will block access from here.
  • Options

The cookie business is an obvious 'win', and a lot of the GDPR stuff comes across as pointlessly bureaucratic, but whatever the joy of the first, it's no guarantee that overhauling the rules in general will resolve the second. Given how governments generally act we can look forward to multiple annoying requirements.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

In the US the left are in power and the US is the most powerful western nation still by far but unwilling to stand up to China, Russia and jihadi Islam and for western values instead of trashing them.

The Democrats control the Presidency and Congress and it is the woke left in the Democratic Party driving the agenda of hatred of western heritage and culture and Biden at the top leading US retreat from the world
    Even in America, the right controlled the White House (and Congress) until this year.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And

What would he know?

And the free market says, the price goes up. Which is actually not ideal for the people who shop in the supermarkets, is it? i.e. you and me?

Mind you, we also don't need to change our laws to handle wannabe house buyers' inefficiencies, do we? If there's a shortage of houses, the market will sort it by pushing prices up. An equilibrium will be arrived at. Sorted.
    Absolutely we should have a free market in housing, just like we should have a free market in food.

If there's a shortage of housing then companies will act to build new ones until the demand is satiated. Sorted.

Let the market and free acting individuals determine what they find a better use of land: agriculture, residential or A N Other purpose. No need for the state to regulate or interfere.
    Housing needs to be more free market, but we also have to recognise that building (whether houses or chemical plants or football stadiums) results in negative (and positive) externalities.

If I build a 400 home housing development on the edge of your village, you will find that the roads will suddenly become jammed and the schools full. Likewise, if I build a chemical refinery next door to your house, you may suddenly find your street very smelly.
  • Options
    On the subject of GDPR, at PythonAnywhere we have two different services:

eu.pythonanywhere.com, where everything is hosted in the EU, and it is GDPR compliant.
    and
    www.pythonanywhere.com, where everything is hosted in the US, and it is California Consumer Protection Act compliant. Yeah... you basically take the most restrictive laws, and they end up setting it for everybody. Because it's less hassle than having michigan.pythonanywhere.com

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Even in America, the right controlled the White House (and Congress) until this year.
    The Left is in power, culturally, across the West. This is absurd to deny

The modern indentitarian Left is the source of the corrosive self-hatred which governs virtually all our institutions. Various rightwing governments have feebly kicked back, with Trump as the most potent and unpleasant manifestation

We will see far far worse than Trump, within 2 decades
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The ironic thing is the people driving this are not the real elite in the United States. They are the wannabe elite. People who think that by being ultra-Woke they'll impress the people at the top so much that they'll be allowed to become a member of the real elite. In fact the people right at the top probably don't care that much, so they may be wasting their time.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The modern indentitarian Left is the source of the corrosive self-hatred which governs virtually all our institutions. Various rightwing governments have feebly kicked back, with Trump as the most potent and unpleasant manifestation

Trump's politics were identarian politics.

One doesn't fight Left Wing identarian politics with Right Win identarian politics. One fights it with non-identarian politics.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

One doesn't fight Left Wing identarian politics with Right Win identarian politics. One fights it with non-identarian politics.
    But exactly. By saying "all whites are intrinsically racist" you won't get endless white people saying Sorry, you will get a ton of White Pride and White Supremacism. You will get Trump, but worse

By saying "all that matters is the colour of your skin" you get white people saying, OK, I'm fucking white, deal with it, and "I will vote for Worse-Than-Trump"

I genuinely fear that it is too late to step back from this. America sets the pace, but the rest of the West is following. Look at the popularity of the Hard Right in France. Marine le Pen is the most popular politician in France, amongst those aged..... 24-35

A vicious fascistic backlash is building, in the West. The Left stokes it, daily and gaily, without realising the certain nightmares ahead. Partly because "progressive causes" have advanced without any serious pushback for five decades (and they have done much good thereby). But now the advance must end or we will all be fucked
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    edited August 2021
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And

What would he know?

Housing needs to be more free market, but we also have to recognise that building (whether houses or chemical plants or football stadiums) results in negative (and positive) externalities.

If I build a 400 home housing development on the edge of your village, you will find that the roads will suddenly become jammed and the schools full. Likewise, if I build a chemical refinery next door to your house, you may suddenly find your street very smelly.
    A 400 home development is unlikely to suddenly jam up all the roads, since besides not generating huge traffic it will include a transport assessment by the local Highways Authority as a routine part of the planning process, and if it will result in too much congestion the PP would be refused, or suitably mitigated.

The applicant will have to spend many thousands on a suitable study.

I've done it, though for sonething slightly smaller.

Ditto schools - if there is no capacity they will have to pay for necessary extra school places to the tune of hundreds of thousands or millions, and the education authority will make provision. Education is - beside affforable housing - often the largest chunk of a Section 106 agreement.
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And

What would he know?

A 400 home development is unlikely to suddenly jam up all the roads, since besides not generating huge traffic it will include a transport assessment by the local Highways Authority as a routine part of the planning process, and if it will result in too much congestion the PP would be refused, or suitably mitigated.

Ditto schools - if there is no capacity they will have to pay for necessary extra school places to the tune of hundreds of thousands or millions, and the education authority will make provision. Education is - beside affforable housing - often the largest chunk of a Section 106 agreement.
    What planning permission? Surely the assumption was that in creating a completely free market, this would have been abolished. Unless I've missed the point.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

MattW said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:
    He is asking for $150k from each of 17 CO-respondents. It’s all about the money
    On the face of it it looks like absolute nonsense with a dash of utter hysteria, but perhaps there's an actual legal point in there somewhere.
    US claims like this are a game of poker, as we know.

Shades of Virginia Giuffre.
    Apart from Giuffre actually being sexually exploited, whether with the participation of the Duke of York or not.
    The analogy is correct in that criminal allegations are being pursued by civil means. Though I'll give you that the Nirvana one seems more speculative.

As far as I am aware, for Giuffre so far we have a lot of allegations, one set of claims in a criminal case excluded from the case by the Court, lots of media shouting, two or three civil cases, and a couple of out of Court settlements. So no rulings on the truth of Giuffre's allegations, and in law no basis afaics for your statement. Open to correction if I am wrong on any of that.

And that's leaving aside that many criminal verdicts in US courts seem highly questionable as they are plea bargains. eg Personally I have no faith in the verdict in the NatWest Three (Enron) case, as the process seemed to impose a far greater potential punishment than the sentence they accepted by plea bargain.

And that is because the US 'justice' system is fundamentally abusive.
  • Options

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And

What would he know?

What planning permission? Surely the assumption was that in creating a completely free market, this would have been abolished. Unless I've missed the point.
    That's was - indeed - exactly my point.
  • Options

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And

What would he know?

I interpreted it as not quite that pure a proposal.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The ironic thing is the people driving this are not the real elite in the United States. They are the wannabe elite. People who think that by being ultra-Woke they'll impress the people at the top so much that they'll be allowed to become a member of the real elite. In fact the people right at the top probably don't care that much, so they may be wasting their time.
    To a large extent wokeness is driven by corporate America anxious not to offend potential customers. My guess would be they are mostly run by a mix of libertarian Republicans and country-club Republicans.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Good to see that British troops are showing the bulldog spirit in Kabul.

Keeping the terrierists at bay.

And not being America's poodle.

Carrie’s barking.
    The animals of Farthing would like a word
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    edited August 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Arsenal did win but a cup match so in the league, Arsenal are still pointless (and West Ham remain table-toppers).

In the cricket, Notts lost in the T20 despite trading at 1.01.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

To a large extent wokeness is driven by corporate America anxious not to offend potential customers. My guess would be they are mostly run by a mix of libertarian Republicans and country-club Republicans.
    Most country club Republicans are now reluctant Democrats.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

All of the good parts of left wing identitarian politics (bringing focus to unfair disparities etc) can be done from a traditional liberal democratic framework, while also avoiding all the worst parts of it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And

What would he know?

That was - indeed - exactly my point.
    Clear to see you’re not a politician.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Bonkers. Stark raving bonkers.
    Do you disagree that the left are in charge in the USA? Particularly the cultural left.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Do you disagree that the left are in charge in the USA? Particularly the cultural left.
    the idea that the "cultural left" (a vague term if I ever heard it) is in charge of the USA is a strange one - judiciary - dominated by a legal system funded by big business, Congress - dominated by PACs funded again by businesses and lobbies such as Israel supporters and religious groups, a President with only a marginal grip on Senate and HofRs (thats up for grabs in 15 months time... and as for the military, police and security agencies... absolutely no evidence of being run by cultural left.,... I for one completely disagree with the idea that the "cultural left are in charge"...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Yes.
    Yes.
  • Options
    Lowest levels of car production for any July since 1956, UK industry reports

UK carmakers made 53,400 vehicles in July, a 37.6% drop when compared with the same month in 2020, according to data from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT)

Jaguar Land Rover and Nissan, the two largest manufacturers in the UK, have both previously been forced to cut production because of shortages.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/26/lowest-levels-of-car-production-for-any-july-since-1956-uk-industry-reports
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And

What would he know?

Yes.

No.

I mean, yes, but I don't know any evidence that supermarkets are bloated behemoths which deserve to go to the free market wall. They operate on tight margins. Sure you can tighten them further, but the continued existence of tesco in the face of lidl shows that the market doesn't necessarily want them tightened further. Philip thinks all market solutions are good solutions, but the solution here is that he pays higher prices in a continuing to exist tesco or lidl. Not clear why he is cheering that.
  • Options

UK carmakers made 53,400 vehicles in July, a 37.6% drop when compared with the same month in 2020, according to data from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT)

Jaguar Land Rover and Nissan, the two largest manufacturers in the UK, have both previously been forced to cut production because of shortages.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/26/lowest-levels-of-car-production-for-any-july-since-1956-uk-industry-reports

Wow.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    Food shortages are expected to get worse when new post-Brexit paperwork kicks in soon
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/worse-to-come
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    Unite boss Len McCluskey has "left the building", according to a union source

How long before he leaves that rather nice apartment in the Barbican, that Unite got for him?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

It should be added that these shortages are probably not Brexit-related, but due to the IC shortage bedevilling many industries.

Talking of which, Mrs J has a 7am conference call...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    Cases in Australia and New Zealand are still going up:

Australia: +1,098
    New Zealand: +68
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

Sad to see, but the containment strategy has now clearly failed. They need to get everyone vaccinated yesterday, and people need to stay at home until it’s done.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Aren't less cars and less food a good thing? I thought we had a problem with climate change and obesity...
  • Options
    BoZo cancels Christmas...

Ministers are resisting calls from the bosses of some of Britain’s biggest supermarkets for the relaxation of immigration rules to fill a large shortfall in lorry drivers amid warnings of product shortages at Christmas. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/let-eu-lorry-drivers-deliver-us-from-chaotic-christmas-shop-bosses-urge-6xzq0cgn5?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1629956035
  • Options

It should be added that these shortages are probably not Brexit-related, but due to the IC shortage bedevilling many industries.

There no single explanation.

The IC shortage is a problem. JLR has been losing market share. And just in time inventory is still adjusting to Brexit.

Nevertheless, one has to acknowledge that car production in Germany has not been as badly hit. Total German playstation in July feel to 246,600 units from 247,400.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sad to see, but the containment strategy has now clearly failed. They need to get everyone vaccinated yesterday, and people need to stay at home until it’s done.
    We don't see many stories about it, but the same is true in China. They have major Delta issues across the country, and they are also far from fully vaccinated.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Food shortages are expected to get worse when new post-Brexit paperwork kicks in soon

No one is going to starve. Some people may pay slightly more for their food.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139

And if you want to do any business with the EU you have to comply anyway. C.f. the US alignment with EU/GDPR requirements. It's a total lack of understanding of the practicalities of international trade.

Let's hope they don't accidentally create *different* requirements which means we all end up having to meet two sets of regulation.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

those sunny uplands seem that little bit further than we were promised........
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I don't remember seeing that slogan on the side of a bus...
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Let's hope they don't accidentally create *different* requirements which means we all end up having to meet two sets of regulation.

Like UKCA, as an example...
  • Options
    Well, there's a surprise:

Dear Sir; my team & my animals are stuck at airport circle. We have a flight waiting. Can you please facilitate safe passage into the airport for our convoy?
    @suhailshaheen1 We are an NGO who will come back to Afghanistan but right now I want to get everyone out safely.....

We have been here for 10 hours after being assured that we would have safe passage. Truly would like to go home now. Folded hands Let’s prove the IEA are taking a different path.

https://twitter.com/PenFarthing/status/1430762647453110272?s=20
  • Options
    Live view of Kabul airport:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1RDxlPyZPXkxL
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Good morning everyone. 13.2degC and cloudy again. Lovely afternoon yesterday, sitting in a friends garden, drinking wine.

Never thought about Brexit, Afghanistan or anything like that......
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

"Some" people = that subset of people which consumes food on a daily basis? "Slightly" = substantially for the many for whom pretty much any increase in outgoings is substantial?
  • Options

Well, there's a surprise:

Dear Sir; my team & my animals are stuck at airport circle. We have a flight waiting. Can you please facilitate safe passage into the airport for our convoy?
    @suhailshaheen1 We are an NGO who will come back to Afghanistan but right now I want to get everyone out safely.....

We have been here for 10 hours after being assured that we would have safe passage. Truly would like to go home now. Folded hands Let’s prove the IEA are taking a different path.

https://twitter.com/PenFarthing/status/1430762647453110272?s=20

One thing I don't understand, I believe the animals in question are dogs and cats. The story we are being sold is they don't infringe on human space, they'll travel in the hold. If hold conditions are comfortable for dogs and cats they are comfortable for human beings, more of whom could travel on the plane if the animals are terminated. If hold conditions are not comfortable for dogs and cats this guy should be prosecuted for cruelty, and for being an utter arsehole.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Sandpit said:

I think the Australia figure is actually slightly over 1,100. 1,029 are in NSW. Several of the other States still have zero cases and are doing everything they can to keep it out. NSW has accepted that zero Covid is now impossible.

NZ are still aiming for Zero Covid. Personally I think it has now gone too far for them to now get it under control.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973
    rcs1000 said:

There no single explanation.

The IC shortage is a problem. JLR has been losing market share. And just in time inventory is still adjusting to Brexit.

Nevertheless, one has to acknowledge that car production in Germany has not been as badly hit. Total German playstation in July feel to 246,600 units from 247,400.
    I assume 'playstation' should be 'production', or the conversation suddenly took an odd turn ...

It'd be interesting to know if the German manufacturers are prioritising their German plants over their foreign ones.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

We don't see many stories about it, but the same is true in China. They have major Delta issues across the country, and they are also far from fully vaccinated.
    And their vaccines don't work very well. Which is a bit surprising given that they designed the virus in the first place.
  • Options
    "Very credible reporting of imminent attack (at Kabul airport)" - R4 - James Heappey, Armed Forces Minister.

There is an ongoing and high threat of terrorist attack. Do not travel to Kabul Hamid Karzai International Airport. If you are in the area of the airport, move away to a safe location and await further advice.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/afghanistan
  • Options

Whilst the EU GDPR laws are Fucking Stupid, our repeal of them is unlikely to be the start of the great spyware era. For all the major players how much faff is it to rewrite your code and permissions just for us?

Are we doing this because we think we should, or because the likes of Dowden think we need another battle with the evil power?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

And their vaccines don't work very well. Which is a bit surprising given that they designed the virus in the first place.
    Because in all large bureaucracies different departments work so harmoniously together that "fingers of the same hand" is the metaphor which springs to mind.
  • Options

Are we doing this because we think we should, or because the likes of Dowden think we need another battle with the evil power?

Everything must be Brexified, at any cost.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Pioneers, it sounds like a needless diversion that will get some headlines, make things worse, and distract attention from the more important matter of trying to get things on an even keel.
  • Options

"Very credible reporting of imminent attack (at Kabul airport)" - R4 - James Heappey, Armed Forces Minister.

There is an ongoing and high threat of terrorist attack. Do not travel to Kabul Hamid Karzai International Airport. If you are in the area of the airport, move away to a safe location and await further advice.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/afghanistan

Shit.

Now I can't sleep for thinking about those doggies and pussies.
  • Options
    Brexit latest:

▪️Xmas supplies threatened by lack of lorry drivers
    ▪️Stocks in shops at lowest level since records began
    ▪️Worst supply chain disruption since 70s
    ▪️Foreign direct investment in UK halved
    ▪️Lack of agricultural workers leaves food rotting

And that’s just today

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1430603716634284035
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Although, the last time I discussed this with my son, he was still saying he had to have been jabbed with a Chinese vaccine before any (business) trip to China.I think, too that UK doesn't accept vaccination with Chinese vaccine as conferring immunity.
    Which means FOUR vaccinations for somewhat wants to visit both China and Britain/Europe.
    Mr S, from the sandpit, may have further and better info, of course
This discussion has been closed.