Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Debt of Honour – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited August 2021
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Video resurfaces showing Trump 1 month ago taking full credit for the Afghanistan pullout. https://twitter.com/parkerbutler10/status/1427295338382118918

@HYUFD will be along in a minute to tell us that actually President Trump is blameless and isn't responsible actually nor has he ever made any such claim.
    Read my post below, as I have said Romney would be better than Biden and Trump, they are both wrong on the withdrawal, though I doubt even Trump would have so weakly surrendered to the Taliban as Biden has, certainly at least not without some shock and awe bombing etc
    How has Biden surrendered to the Taliban...

US troops left Afghanistan a month or so ago - this is merely the obvious result of that departure.
    He surrendered by the very act of withdrawal, as I have long said US and UK forces should have stayed there indefinitely to keep the Taliban and Al Qaeda out
    The brutal truth is that we've achieved sweet FA despite twenty years of trying.

And in terms of worldwide terrorism, Afghanistan has no special resources that controlling helps launch terrorist attacks. The resource is the extremists themselves - many new ones having been generated by the occupation and every accidental civilian death. They are no more dangerous now than they were sitting in Pakistan. All we have done is give them legitimacy in the eyes of many by allowing them to champion opposition to western imperialism.
    We prevented 9/11 2 for 20 years.

That is now significantly more likely if Afghanistan becomes a haven for terrorists again. US special forces were sent to Pakistan too to kill Bin Laden.

Given the worst terrorist attack in western history happened BEFORE the Afghan and Iraq invasions the legitimacy argument is rubbish, jihadis were already wanting to attack the west beforehand.

We have to be ready to take them on wherever they are, just Biden has given up the fight
    This is just nonsense.

There haven’t been any ‘major’ overseas terrorist attacks for years because they no longer have the capability to organise them. Western intelliegence and security is better and the prospect of one overarching organisation with a degree of command and control has been replaced by factionalism and infighting as Al Queda fell apart. The bigger threat is ISIS and they are the result of an even more foolish western intervention.

That the Taliban are all able to stroll back into Afghanistan is proof that they are hardly in need of a “haven”. Many are young and will have been recruited as a counter-reaction to western occupation and perceived or actual injustice.

Departure in ignominy was inevitable from the moment we went in there, just as it was for the Russians and British in history. The departure could perhaps have been handled more cleverly (although a quick and relatively peaceful takeover is much preferable to a long and bloody civil war ending with the same outcome), but the biggest mistake appears to be the Americans - with us as their useful idiots - kidding themselves that many Afghans were really motivated to fight the Taliban once western troops had gone away. The waste of time and money has been colossal.
    ISIS have largely collapsed and been driven out of Iraq and Syria.

Now the Taliban are back in control in Afghanistan there is nothing to stop AQ and other jihadi groups who were there before from returning and new ones on top. Afghanistan will be the global centre of terror training camps against the West again.

The only reason we are departing in ignominy is the failed, weak surrender of Biden and Harris, under Bush and indeed Obama Afghanistan was secure and the Taliban forced back to their heartlands.

Whether the Afghans would be motivated to fight the Taliban is irrelevant, we should never have taken the risk and kept troops there indefinitely if needed as sensible leaders like McCain wanted
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Rather than asking what it is about religious men that makes them think that their wives can’t think for themselves we should be asking why are they so often pedophiles?
    9? That’s perverted. As their wives would tell them if asked.

It shows how disgustingly in thrall to the literal interpretation of Islam the Taliban is, no other nation on earth has an age of consent of 9 (It's the age Aisha/Muhammad consumated their marriage).
    Women's views, and the views of the civilised world are an irrelevance to them.
    The next lowest is Nigeria at 11.
    Just horrific.

These men are medieval. It’s basically a paedo cult.
    I strongly doubt paedophilia is more prevalent at one time or place than another. The evidence from our very own inquiry into child abuse suggests that when the opportunity arises, it will pretty much automatically be taken, and that the Christian church is just as much a "paedo cult" if you give it a chance to be. It is of course horrific, but nothing is gained by getting all gutter press headline about it.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    IanB2 said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Rather than asking what it is about religious men that makes them think that their wives can’t think for themselves we should be asking why are they so often pedophiles?

It shows how disgustingly in thrall to the literal interpretation of Islam the Taliban is, no other nation on earth has an age of consent of 9 (It's the age Aisha/Muhammad consumated their marriage).
    Just horrific.

Catholic priests were so much better?
    If you don't mind me saying so that is a silly comment.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

Trump weighs in:

Trump is right. I despise Trump, and believe even the useless, terrible Biden is a better president, but I don’t think he would have permitted this utter debacle in Kabul
  • Options
    It’s not getting better at the airport

‘Mayhem continuing at Kabul Airport. Shots being fired at individuals attempting to jump the wall..’

https://twitter.com/bhoopendrasing5/status/1427335487610507284?s=21

That looks like Taliban shooting at civilians
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

I strongly doubt paedophilia is more prevalent at one time or place than another. The evidence from our very own inquiry into child abuse suggests that when the opportunity arises, it will pretty much automatically be taken, and that the Christian church is just as much a "paedo cult" if you give it a chance to be. It is of course horrific, but nothing is gained by getting all gutter press headline about it.
    There is surely a huge difference between individuals transgressing against the doctrine of their religion albeit with institutional cover-ups versus a doctrine of paedophilia enforced by violence and the def facto government? Severe sexual repression in common I agree.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Afghanistan is a mess. As are many other countries.

And so is the UK. But on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is minor political incompetence and 10 is all-out civil/religious war, we're at 1, or 1.5. And the scale is probably exponential.

The news today makes me incredibly glad to have been born in, and living in the, UK. And it makes me more determined for the country to become 0.25 or 0.5, not 2 or 3.

'We' are lucky, folks ...

This is very true and worth remembering sometimes.
    Yes it is

Maybe there should be some kind of penalty for first world problem whining? Anyone caught griping online about being addressed by the wrong pronoun, or accusing others of micro aggressions, should have to spend a day fundraising for refugees
    Of course you pick examples to suit a political agenda - yours - and thus lose the point of the point.
    Ah if you cant see a good point made because you disagree with the examples, you're not half the man I thought you were!
    No the point is deep and fundamental and has zero to do with political orientation. You cheapened it in a way I'd never have done. THAT's the sort of man I am. A man who would never cheapen deep and fundamental points.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Leon said:

Trump weighs in:

Trump is right. I despise Trump, and believe even the useless, terrible Biden is a better president, but I don’t think he would have permitted this utter debacle in Kabul
    Trump wanted out as soon as possible. Unless he thought doing so would lead to utter collapse so quickly, which seems unlikely, I don't think it likely he would have sought to get civilians out beforehand.
  • Options
    Jon Snow has just referred to David Milligram.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2021
    Some curiously interesting tweets coming out of Kabul .

"This evening in Kabul, Hamid Karzai, Dr. Abdullah Abdullah, Abdul Hadi Muslimyar and a number of other former officials met with Maulvi Amir Khan Mottaki, Chairman of the Islamic Emirate's Invitation, Guidance, Recruitment and Recruitment Commission."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

And so is the UK. But on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is minor political incompetence and 10 is all-out civil/religious war, we're at 1, or 1.5. And the scale is probably exponential.

The news today makes me incredibly glad to have been born in, and living in the, UK. And it makes me more determined for the country to become 0.25 or 0.5, not 2 or 3.

Yes it is

Maybe there should be some kind of penalty for first world problem whining? Anyone caught griping online about being addressed by the wrong pronoun, or accusing others of micro aggressions, should have to spend a day fundraising for refugees
    Of course you pick examples to suit a political agenda - yours - and thus lose the point of the point.
    Ah if you cant see a good point made because you disagree with the examples, you're not half the man I thought you were!
    No the point is deep and fundamental and has zero to do with political orientation. You cheapened it in a way I'd never have done. THAT's the sort of man I am. A man who would never cheapen deep and fundamental points.
    Oh no! Unable to make light of any given situation... not a quarter of the man I thought
  • Options
    The lawyer for the sex slaver Shamima Begum posted a tweet saying “the boys are back in town” as the Taliban retook Kabul

Why do we tolerate these people for a moment? They are either Nazis or Nazi sympathisers. They loathe us even as they exploit our freedoms. They laugh at us as they plot to kill us

Enough

https://twitter.com/jadaz76/status/1427284437952258051?s=21
  • Options

So are we going to take in Afghan refugees then? Or are we going to have smirking Priti announce that we don't want to take in these terrorists.

So what's your answer to the problem? Please give us a fully-considered view on what the government should be doing. Numbers and details preferred.
    Do as Defence Secretary and "cos I'm a Soldier" Ben Wallace suggests for starters. If they worked for us then they and their families. Then we as part of the international community are going to have to take responsibility for the refugees our actions have created.

We need to take tens of thousands like the Americans and Canadians. We did this. We are responsible.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

IanB2 said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

It is, but there's also a kernel of truth. Anyone lambasting the way the Taliban treats women as second-class citizens, whilst supporting the Catholic church, are being somewhat hypocritical. (And I might add other churches, in the present and the past.) They treat women very much as second-class citizens.

But in a way that's unfair: lots of evils have been done in the name of religion, and religion has been used to excuse lots of evil. It's just that Catholicism, like Islam and Judaism, has been slow to change.

And it's not just religion. Look at the age some princes and princesses were married off at. Isabella of Valois being a very sad example (married aged 6, widowed aged 9, married an 11-year old cousin aged 16, died in childbirth aged 19). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_Valois
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Trump weighs in:

Trump wanted out as soon as possible. Unless he thought doing so would lead to utter collapse so quickly, which seems unlikely, I don't think it likely he would have sought to get civilians out beforehand.
    Trump also did exactly pretty much exactly this in Syria. The Kurds had to hand themselves over to Assad so they didn't get exterminated by the Turks.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

There is surely a huge difference between individuals transgressing against the doctrine of their religion albeit with institutional cover-ups versus a doctrine of paedophilia enforced by violence and the def facto government? Severe sexual repression in common I agree.
    Not really, the end result's the same. Who knows, praps legalising the 9 year olds takes the pressure off the 5 y.o.s?

And I'm doubtful about theories of sexual repression. I think on the whole if people want it, they are getting it, and getting the precise flavour of it they want. Isn't that rather the point we are both making?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    IanB2 said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

Now then, now then.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Major breaking news, Boris and Macron to hold......a virtual G7 summit on Afghanistan.

So I am sure they can all rest easy in Kabul tonight
    https://twitter.com/DarrenGBNews/status/1427310517849399296?s=20

Come on HYUFD give Boris a break.

Remember cometh the hour, cometh the man.
    I think he should get out there pronto and charm the Taliban into a gibbering wreck with his comedy. It's not too late.
    I still think we should send Gavin Williamson, Nick Gibb, Amanda Spielman and the DfE out there to handle logistics for the Taleban.

They'll be reduced to picking up rocks to throw inside about a week.
    I'd be worried about the rock supply being disrupted. Even in the Stan.
    OMG OMFFFFG the Ancient Athenian Agora

If the Parthenon disappoints (and it does, despite its sublimity) the Agora is the opposite. OK it probably helped I was half cut on three big ouzos and it was the perfect time of day - 6pm, the Attic sun setting… but it is stunning

The most perfect Greek temple in the world. Hephaestus. The stoa where stoicism started. The arches where Socrates and Plato and Aristotle argued. The Acropolis glowing above (by far the best view of it). The olive groves where democracy was born. The bloody bidet of Pericles, or something

Honestly, a genius place, in the true sense. Athens is amazing now the fucking tourists are all dead
    Thank you!
    No, thank YOU. I wouldn’t have gone if you hadn’t raved about it. I’ve been all over the world and I find it easy to be blasé. But, wow

Especially now, with so few tourists, despite the glories of high summer

If you ever do it I recommend you do it just how I did it. Uber to the Acropolis, have lunch first. Boozy. Greek salad. Taramasalata. Perhaps in the museum (I didn’t go there but the restaurant is said to be fab)

Then slog up the Parthenon in the high high heat. Treat it as a pilgrimage, where the suffering is the point. Get to the top. Say, OK, this is a bit shit, but whatever, it’s also amazing. Admire a karyatid and some coffering. Spot Glenn Close in a hat (I did)

Then, slightly shrugging, walk down the other side, the shadier more interesting side. Past the oldest churches. Have several soothing ouzos in a charming taverna (there are many). Then go to the Agora nearby and basically have an orgasm at the density of beautiful history in a place that looks like an idealised painting of Ancient Greece

Oh yes. Oh yes.
    I am now jealous. I properly discovered ancient Stoic philosophy over the last 12 months and I now think it is the best attempt at religion ever achieved.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Trump weighs in:

He was pushing Biden to withdraw faster.
    Indeed. I just think Trump, in his madness, would have made the Taliban hesitate, and if Trump saw it going wrong, he’d have ordered the USAF to bomb the Taliban to atoms

I’m not claiming Trump is a better person or a superior politician, just that his personality is so madly mercurial he makes a worse adversary for fuckers like the Taliban. Biden is predictably weak, and weakened further by Wokeism and Harris

Biden is a fucking disaster for America right now
    Last I heard Harris has had zero to say about current situation.

She had plenty to say about Israel ......
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

Not really, the end result's the same. Who knows, praps legalising the 9 year olds takes the pressure off the 5 y.o.s?

And I'm doubtful about theories of sexual repression. I think on the whole if people want it, they are getting it, and getting the precise flavour of it they want. Isn't that rather the point we are both making?
    The idea that the same amount of pedophilia happens in a theocracy that openly defends it and a society that tries, even if often badly, to eliminate it, is one of the most stupid arguments I have heard on the internet.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Major breaking news, Boris and Macron to hold......a virtual G7 summit on Afghanistan.

I think he should get out there pronto and charm the Taliban into a gibbering wreck with his comedy. It's not too late.
    I still think we should send Gavin Williamson, Nick Gibb, Amanda Spielman and the DfE out there to handle logistics for the Taleban.

If the Parthenon disappoints (and it does, despite its sublimity) the Agora is the opposite. OK it probably helped I was half cut on three big ouzos and it was the perfect time of day - 6pm, the Attic sun setting… but it is stunning

The most perfect Greek temple in the world. Hephaestus. The stoa where stoicism started. The arches where Socrates and Plato and Aristotle argued. The Acropolis glowing above (by far the best view of it). The olive groves where democracy was born. The bloody bidet of Pericles, or something

Honestly, a genius place, in the true sense. Athens is amazing now the fucking tourists are all dead
    Thank you!
    No, thank YOU. I wouldn’t have gone if you hadn’t raved about it. I’ve been all over the world and I find it easy to be blasé. But, wow

If you ever do it I recommend you do it just how I did it. Uber to the Acropolis, have lunch first. Boozy. Greek salad. Taramasalata. Perhaps in the museum (I didn’t go there but the restaurant is said to be fab)

Then slog up the Parthenon in the high high heat. Treat it as a pilgrimage, where the suffering is the point. Get to the top. Say, OK, this is a bit shit, but whatever, it’s also amazing. Admire a karyatid and some coffering. Spot Glenn Close in a hat (I did)

Then, slightly shrugging, walk down the other side, the shadier more interesting side. Past the oldest churches. Have several soothing ouzos in a charming taverna (there are many). Then go to the Agora nearby and basically have an orgasm at the density of beautiful history in a place that looks like an idealised painting of Ancient Greece

Oh yes. Oh yes.
    I am now jealous. I properly discovered ancient Stoic philosophy over the last 12 months and I now think it is the best attempt at religion ever achieved.
    Yes!

I love Stoicism (even if I don’t always measure up) but I had no idea of the etymology of the word. Until today

“The name "Stoicism" derives from the Stoa Poikile (Ancient Greek: ἡ ποικίλη στοά), or "painted porch", a colonnade decorated with mythic and historical battle scenes, on the north side of the Agora in Athens, where Zeno and his followers gathered to discuss their ideas.”

And you can go there now. Slightly tipsy on ouzo. To the very same place where Zeno and Co discussed their ideas. Wonderful!
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited August 2021
    Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

The idea that the same amount of pedophilia happens in a theocracy that openly defends it and a society that tries, even if often badly, to eliminate it, is one of the most stupid arguments I have heard on the internet.
    For the taliban, the only consent that matters is that of the father. And they’re very good at coercion. They’re fking evil.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

Funny you should mention that. The reason I adhere to PB is the extraordinarily high general level of intelligence of the regular posters here. There's only three contributors that I classify as positively stupid, and you, I regret to say, are one of them. I wouldn't usually mention this, but you started it.

That's that out of the way.

An intelligent and informed analysis of the findings of the IICSA findings, or the news generally, suggests that sex with underage children is exactly as available in this country as it is anywhere else. Have you taken the trouble to inform yourself of the extent to which males avail themselves of the opportunity to marry 9 year olds, where it is legal to do so? Thought not.

It must be embarrassing, being you.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

IanB2 said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

It is, but there's also a kernel of truth. Anyone lambasting the way the Taliban treats women as second-class citizens, whilst supporting the Catholic church, are being somewhat hypocritical. (And I might add other churches, in the present and the past.) They treat women very much as second-class citizens.

But in a way that's unfair: lots of evils have been done in the name of religion, and religion has been used to excuse lots of evil. It's just that Catholicism, like Islam and Judaism, has been slow to change.

And it's not just religion. Look at the age some princes and princesses were married off at. Isabella of Valois being a very sad example (married aged 6, widowed aged 9, married an 11-year old cousin aged 16, died in childbirth aged 19). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_Valois
    Actually, as a fact, it isn’t, since it was a question. It might be a silly question, but I don’t think so. The fundamental problem arises when some individuals use the authority of a purported supreme being to secure power over others. Unchecked, abuse is a near certain consequence irrespective of the flavour of religion involved.

• Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes it is

Oh no! Unable to make light of any given situation... not a quarter of the man I thought
    Sounds like I'm the incredible shrinking man in your eyes. Worse things to be.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

Presumably the age of consent is because they don’t want to implicitly criticise Mohamed. Are there many cases of marriage at that age?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes it is

How about people griping online about people griping about pronouns? Not trying to be too personal here but you raised the pronoun issue. No-one else did.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

Presumably the age of consent is because they don’t want to implicitly criticise Mohamed. Are there many cases of marriage at that age?
    My question exactly.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

The mere possibility makes that irrelevant. Apparently most others can get over that implicit criticism, so there must be another reason they want to leave open that door besides that.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

The lawyer for the sex slaver Shamima Begum posted a tweet saying “the boys are back in town” as the Taliban retook Kabul

Why do we tolerate these people for a moment? They are either Nazis or Nazi sympathisers. They loathe us even as they exploit our freedoms. They laugh at us as they plot to kill us

Enough

Can you post his actual tweet please?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

My question exactly.
    Although even if there are zero marriages it’s pretty reprehensible as a signal of their views on the rights of women
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

Funny you should mention that. The reason I adhere to PB is the extraordinarily high general level of intelligence of the regular posters here. There's only three contributors that I classify as positively stupid, and you, I regret to say, are one of them. I wouldn't usually mention this, but you started it.

An intelligent and informed analysis of the findings of the IICSA findings, or the news generally, suggests that sex with underage children is exactly as available in this country as it is anywhere else. Have you taken the trouble to inform yourself of the extent to which males avail themselves of the opportunity to marry 9 year olds, where it is legal to do so? Thought not.

Hmm. Got to demur here. A society which explicitly makes pedophilia legal will have more of it. How is that even controversial? Most countries/societies make sex with underage children, let alone pre-pubescent children, a serious crime. The man boy love of Ancient Greece was not the free-for-all we presume, many disapproved and it always skirted legality.

The question is whether any Islamic society - or any other - does actively approve. I suggest ISIS came pretty close to saying “anything goes” with women and girls, as we saw from the legitimised sex slavery of the Yazidi girls, so the Taliban may not be far behind

• Options
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Trump weighs in:

He was pushing Biden to withdraw faster.
    Indeed. I just think Trump, in his madness, would have made the Taliban hesitate, and if Trump saw it going wrong, he’d have ordered the USAF to bomb the Taliban to atoms

I’m not claiming Trump is a better person or a superior politician, just that his personality is so madly mercurial he makes a worse adversary for fuckers like the Taliban. Biden is predictably weak, and weakened further by Wokeism and Harris

Biden is a fucking disaster for America right now
    So, Trump, same outcome but some enemy blood shed?

Maybe. But he had a history of bungle and bluster and posture remember.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

I always strive to criticize ideas and positions. Playing the ball, not the man, as it were. I have always thought tha reacting to criticism of one's position with personal attacks reveals deep emotional and intellectual fragility.

With that, I will just repeat again that your line that legalization of sex with nine year olds has no effect on practical pedophilia is laughable. It is so obviously ludicrous and driven by a desperate desire to excuse Islam.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Enough

Can you post his actual tweet please?
    It’s in the article. Linked. You have to read for about 1 minute. I am so done with your tedious, pensionable, unamusing yet-trying-to-be-funny oh-I’m-a-wry-old-lefty-accountant-in-Hampstead stupidity. You commit the worst of sins. You BORE
  • Options

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Jon Snow has just referred to David Milligram.

Such a lightweight .......
    I prefer my politicians to be metric, like milliband, rather than imperial, like Foot.
    Comment of the day, no question. Also perfect for PB. Seriously geeky but also properly witty and even insightful. Respect!
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

Hmm. Got to demur here. A society which explicitly makes pedophilia legal will have more of it. How is that even controversial? Most countries/societies make sex with underage children, let alone pre-pubescent children, a serious crime. The man boy love of Ancient Greece was not the free-for-all we presume, many disapproved and it always skirted legality.

The question is whether any Islamic society - or any other - does actively approve. I suggest ISIS came pretty close to saying “anything goes” with women and girls, as we saw from the legitimised sex slavery of the Yazidi girls, so the Taliban may not be far behind

Disagree. I bet (not that I'd be prepared to put it to the test, so regard it as a dickless bet if you will) that if I wanted sex with a 9 year old girl tonight and set off with £100 in my pocket to make it happen, it would be no harder nor easier in London than in Kabul.
  • Options
    Has this been mentioned yet ?

An academic is suing Leeds Beckett University after she was dropped from her advisory role over tweets calling a mixed-race man a “house negro”, alleging the decision was discriminatory because of her belief in critical race theory and Black radicalism.

The university ended its association with the academic adviser Aysha Khanom after accusing her of “racist language” in relation to tweets using the terms “house negro” and “coconut” – the former in a question.

In what is believed to be the first case of its kind, Khanom is arguing that critical race theory and Black radicalism are protected beliefs under the Equality Act. Critical race theory says race is a social construct used to oppress people of colour and which begets systemic racism.

The legal claim has been supported by many antiracist organisations and academics in an open letter. It was penned by Kehinde Andrews, a professor of Black studies at Birmingham City University, and accuses Leeds Beckett of censoring “central concepts in Black intellectual thought”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/16/uk-academic-sues-university-losing-role-critical-race-theory-row-leeds-beckett
  • Options
    Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

My question exactly.
    Although even if there are zero marriages it’s pretty reprehensible as a signal of their views on the rights of women
    Well of course it is. But given the recently published findings of the IICSA here, nobody English is in much of a position to start sounding off about "medieval paedos" anywhere else in the world.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

Disagree. I bet (not that I'd be prepared to put it to the test, so regard it as a dickless bet if you will) that if I wanted sex with a 9 year old girl tonight and set off with £100 in my pocket to make it happen, it would be no harder nor easier in London than in Kabul.
    I suggest we end this debate as it veers towards something deeply unpleasant. But I suggest you are being harsh on Aslan, a new commenter, and you should probably quit drinking again

;)
  • Options
    Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

I always strive to criticize ideas and positions. Playing the ball, not the man, as it were. I have always thought tha reacting to criticism of one's position with personal attacks reveals deep emotional and intellectual fragility.

With that, I will just repeat again that your line that legalization of sex with nine year olds has no effect on practical pedophilia is laughable. It is so obviously ludicrous and driven by a desperate desire to excuse Islam.

Strive away.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

An academic is suing Leeds Beckett University after she was dropped from her advisory role over tweets calling a mixed-race man a “house negro”, alleging the decision was discriminatory because of her belief in critical race theory and Black radicalism.

The university ended its association with the academic adviser Aysha Khanom after accusing her of “racist language” in relation to tweets using the terms “house negro” and “coconut” – the former in a question.

In what is believed to be the first case of its kind, Khanom is arguing that critical race theory and Black radicalism are protected beliefs under the Equality Act. Critical race theory says race is a social construct used to oppress people of colour and which begets systemic racism.

The legal claim has been supported by many antiracist organisations and academics in an open letter. It was penned by Kehinde Andrews, a professor of Black studies at Birmingham City University, and accuses Leeds Beckett of censoring “central concepts in Black intellectual thought”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/16/uk-academic-sues-university-losing-role-critical-race-theory-row-leeds-beckett

I'm sure opening up terms like house negro as acceptable due to one's beliefs would have no unintended consequences for people with unpalatable views who might like to utilise pejorative terms of their own.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Thank you!

Oh yes. Oh yes.
    Yes!

I love Stoicism (even if I don’t always measure up) but I had no idea of the etymology of the word. Until today

“The name "Stoicism" derives from the Stoa Poikile (Ancient Greek: ἡ ποικίλη στοά), or "painted porch", a colonnade decorated with mythic and historical battle scenes, on the north side of the Agora in Athens, where Zeno and his followers gathered to discuss their ideas.”

And you can go there now. Slightly tipsy on ouzo. To the very same place where Zeno and Co discussed their ideas. Wonderful!
    Stoicism is wonderful for so many reasons, but one tangential thing about is the reason for the name. In its earliest times some started describing it as Zenoism, following many Greek philosophies as being named after its founder. But the Stoics quickly rejected this, believing that elevating an individual on a pedestal would be a mistake, and would lead to the philosophy evolving into a debate over who was closest to Zeno's view, pursing the specific verbiage he used etc, rather than debating what was closest to the truth. So instead they named their belief system over the place it was discussed, as truth was not owned by one man.
  • Options

Serious LOL
  • Options

So are we going to take in Afghan refugees then? Or are we going to have smirking Priti announce that we don't want to take in these terrorists.

So what's your answer to the problem? Please give us a fully-considered view on what the government should be doing. Numbers and details preferred.
    Do as Defence Secretary and "cos I'm a Soldier" Ben Wallace suggests for starters. If they worked for us then they and their families. Then we as part of the international community are going to have to take responsibility for the refugees our actions have created.

We need to take tens of thousands like the Americans and Canadians. We did this. We are responsible.
    Responsible for what ?

We gave lives and money to give the Afghans a chance to build a modern country.

Yet they made no effort to keep it and accepted the Taliban instead.
  • Options

This thread has suffered a sudden batting collapse

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Something to cheer everyone up:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-58229967

I’m disappointed he’s left Scunthorpe out though.
  • Options

A small acknowledgement to Jeremy Hunt (my local MP). I raised an issue about a group of female vets and nurses working for a British charity in Kabul and asked him to try to get them included in the evacuation plans. He responded in 10 minutes flat and said he'd take it up with Raab.

Credit where it's due.

Jeremy Hunt is one of the few politicians, from all sides, that has elevated his reputation since the beginning of Covid. And now beyond.

The inability of Boris to include people like him in the govt is a serious blemish. Also, I don’t get it. Boris’ USP is meant to be “fuck it I have no ideology I just recruit the best” - this is one reason I thought he might be a good PM. So why isn’t he doing it now?
  • Options

This thread has suffered a sudden batting collapse

Stop rubbing it in.
  • Options

Responsible for what ?

That's right. We have no responsibilities at all. And the people fleeing the Taliban are doing so having accepted the Taliban.

You keep telling yourself whatever you need to keep justifying your total lack of empathy for others.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    FF43 said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes it is

How about people griping online about people griping about pronouns? Not trying to be too personal here but you raised the pronoun issue. No-one else did.
    Just an example of the things people in rich countries have time to get bothered about because they don't face the problems of those in poor, war torn ones. But yes, if we were all so wonderful we would be spending our time out raising money/awareness for people in unfortunate circumstances, rather than on clever clogs, futile arguments
  • Options

Everyone was slating England's batting after the First Test, and taking consolation in our bowling, but the two points at which this match went wrong for England were to do with the bowling. Choosing to bowl and taking only three wickets on the first day, and allowing India to score an unbeaten 89 for their second-innings ninth wicket this morning.

The team is in a bad way.

Was that crap bowling or crap captaincy ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

The woke left starting to eat themselves. Who might have predicted that?
  • Options
    Leon said:

A small acknowledgement to Jeremy Hunt (my local MP). I raised an issue about a group of female vets and nurses working for a British charity in Kabul and asked him to try to get them included in the evacuation plans. He responded in 10 minutes flat and said he'd take it up with Raab.

Credit where it's due.

Jeremy Hunt is one of the few politicians, from all sides, that has elevated his reputation since the beginning of Covid. And now beyond.

The inability of Boris to include people like him in the govt is a serious blemish. Also, I don’t get it. Boris’ USP is meant to be “fuck it I have no ideology I just recruit the best” - this is one reason I thought he might be a good PM. So why isn’t he doing it now?
    Because as Mayor of London it didn’t matter if they outshone him, they couldn’t take his job. Same to a lesser extent as editor of the Spectator.

If he appoints people who are intelligent, independently minded and competent to his cabinet, they will quickly overshadow him and then he’ll be out in favour of one of them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

I would disagree with this. Islam, even in the variety practiced by ISIS and the Taliban (and both are different from each other) is a deeply legalistic, rules based system. The female slaves they had fell under specific conditions, determined by Mohammed in the Quran and the Hadith. For one, they needed to be either acquired via one's own participation in a battle (as war booty) and divided up equally between those who had a claim, or alternatively purchased from someone who had (hence the horrific auctions). For two, they could not be people of the book, a protected class in the Koran describing Jews and Christians, unless they had been deemed to refuse protection of Islam. This is why the Yazidis were so overwhelmingly the victims, as they were classed as pagans and thus unprotected, deserving the same treatment as Arab pagans that Mohammed and his generals enslaved. (Mohammed himself distributed slaves to followers, according to authentic Muslim texts).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes it is

Sounds like I'm the incredible shrinking man in your eyes. Worse things to be.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited August 2021
    $88bn “invested” in the Afghan armed forces. And they gave up in a week.

That’s the biggest scandal in all of this. Will we ever do anything similar ever, anywhere, again?
  • Options

Responsible for what ?

That's right. We have no responsibilities at all. And the people fleeing the Taliban are doing so having accepted the Taliban.

You keep telling yourself whatever you need to keep justifying your total lack of empathy for others.
    Congratulations you've signalled your virtue.

Now deal with the reality that nobody was prepared to fight the Taliban.

The Afghans have had their chance and they tossed it away.
  • Options

Credit where it's due.

Yes he's my MP too now, and I am impressed though I have not yet met him. I wrote to him to complain about something that upset me greatly, and I was quite surprised that he wrote back at some length to explain why he disagreed with me. One has to respect that.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

I would disagree with this. Islam, even in the variety practiced by ISIS and the Taliban (and both are different from each other) is a deeply legalistic, rules based system. The female slaves they had fell under specific conditions, determined by Mohammed in the Quran and the Hadith. For one, they needed to be either acquired via one's own participation in a battle (as war booty) and divided up equally between those who had a claim, or alternatively purchased from someone who had (hence the horrific auctions). For two, they could not be people of the book, a protected class in the Koran describing Jews and Christians, unless they had been deemed to refuse protection of Islam. This is why the Yazidis were so overwhelmingly the victims, as they were classed as pagans and thus unprotected, deserving the same treatment as Arab pagans that Mohammed and his generals enslaved. (Mohammed himself distributed slaves to followers, according to authentic Muslim texts).
    You've highlighted the difficult truth that Islam unlike the other great religions had a relatively recent founder who was a political figure, used violence and laid down detailed instructions for the conduct of everyday life many of which are pretty repugnant to both Christian and secular Western populations. These are deep but hopefully not insurmountable barriers to reform and there are both optimistic and pessimistic signs with regard to integration and co-existence.
This discussion has been closed.