Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Debt of Honour – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Video resurfaces showing Trump 1 month ago taking full credit for the Afghanistan pullout. https://twitter.com/parkerbutler10/status/1427295338382118918

@HYUFD will be along in a minute to tell us that actually President Trump is blameless and isn't responsible actually nor has he ever made any such claim.
    Read my post below, as I have said Romney would be better than Biden and Trump, they are both wrong on the withdrawal, though I doubt even Trump would have so weakly surrendered to the Taliban as Biden has, certainly at least not without some shock and awe bombing etc
    How has Biden surrendered to the Taliban...

US troops left Afghanistan a month or so ago - this is merely the obvious result of that departure.
    He surrendered by the very act of withdrawal, as I have long said US and UK forces should have stayed there indefinitely to keep the Taliban and Al Qaeda out
    The brutal truth is that we've achieved sweet FA despite twenty years of trying.

And in terms of worldwide terrorism, Afghanistan has no special resources that controlling helps launch terrorist attacks. The resource is the extremists themselves - many new ones having been generated by the occupation and every accidental civilian death. They are no more dangerous now than they were sitting in Pakistan. All we have done is give them legitimacy in the eyes of many by allowing them to champion opposition to western imperialism.
    Good point. Exactly the same is true of opium incidentally: the poppies aren't endemic to Afghanistan, you can grow them anywhere. It's just the general lawlessness of the place.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited August 2021
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Video resurfaces showing Trump 1 month ago taking full credit for the Afghanistan pullout. https://twitter.com/parkerbutler10/status/1427295338382118918

@HYUFD will be along in a minute to tell us that actually President Trump is blameless and isn't responsible actually nor has he ever made any such claim.
    Read my post below, as I have said Romney would be better than Biden and Trump, they are both wrong on the withdrawal, though I doubt even Trump would have so weakly surrendered to the Taliban as Biden has, certainly at least not without some shock and awe bombing etc

US troops left Afghanistan a month or so ago - this is merely the obvious result of that departure.
    He surrendered by the very act of withdrawal, as I have long said US and UK forces should have stayed there indefinitely to keep the Taliban and Al Qaeda out
    The brutal truth is that we've achieved sweet FA despite twenty years of trying.

And in terms of worldwide terrorism, Afghanistan has no special resources that controlling helps launch terrorist attacks. The resource is the extremists themselves - many new ones having been generated by the occupation and every accidental civilian death. They are no more dangerous now than they were sitting in Pakistan. All we have done is give them legitimacy in the eyes of many by allowing them to champion opposition to western imperialism.
    We prevented 9/11 2 for 20 years.

That is now significantly more likely if Afghanistan becomes a haven for terrorists again. US special forces were sent to Pakistan too to kill Bin Laden.

Given the worst terrorist attack in western history happened BEFORE the Afghan and Iraq invasions the legitimacy argument is rubbish, jihadis were already wanting to attack the west beforehand.

We have to be ready to take them on wherever they are, just Biden has given up the fight
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    Laschet is beginning to seem like a bit of a prick.

https://twitter.com/tom_nuttall/status/1427281918932967432?s=21

Mind you, looking forward to those who are never done criticising Merkel for ‘opening the floodgates’ getting all sniffy about Laschet.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    edited August 2021
    stodge said:

It now seems rather than Saigon in April 1975, we're going back to Busan in the autumn of 1950.

The Pentagon spokesman almost seems to be suggesting the country can be recaptured from the perimeter of Kabul Airport.

The Afghan Army has "tangible advantages" over the Taliban - well, less territory to defend is one.

The N Koreans and Chinese were'nt pushed back from Pusan, so much as outflanked by landings not far from Seoul.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    HYUFD said:

Major breaking news, Boris and Macron to hold......a virtual G7 summit on Afghanistan.

So I am sure they can all rest easy in Kabul tonight
    https://twitter.com/DarrenGBNews/status/1427310517849399296?s=20

Come on HYUFD give Boris a break.

Remember cometh the hour, cometh the man.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    ping said:

Interesting perspective which, I think, has some merit;

“The real failure lies with the U.S. officials who have lied repeatedly about the alleged progress being made in building an effective government and military. Particularly shameful are those who pretend that the U.S. could have stayed the course in Afghanistan without cost. The option, as President Biden rightfully noted yesterday, was to either surge U.S. forces again or withdraw from Afghanistan’s civil war. The former would have meant indefinite and increased deployments of U.S. forces to fight for people who were not willing to fight for the government we imagined for them.”

https://quincyinst.org/press/reflections-on-the-events-of-the-past-week-in-afghanistan/

It's sadly ironic that over the years the US (and others) have done the dirty on those looking to overthrow a brutal dictatorship and yet they've spent 20 years trying to help people who didn't want to do it themselves.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,891

Quincel said:

Floater said:

I'm sorry - but this is just disgusting

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1427250837664014336

REAKING: A German Defense Ministry spokesperson on its responsibility to get local Afghan support staff and translators out of the country: "It's not like we forced them to cooperate with us."

America also considering restricting flights out to US citizens only [ no locals

Real race to the bottom in shameless abdication of moral duty around Afghanistan, sadly. Lots of people trying to push the blame on their natural opponents rather than allies, but the truth is there's plenty to go around.
    Afghan refugees are really not popular in some quarters in Germany. Ahem... cultural compatibility issues.
    Neither are Turkish immigrants, many of whom have been there for decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Solingen_arson_attack
    https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/turkish-immigrants-killed-in-blaze-german-police-probing-arson-claim-a-533293.html
    https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/diaspora/german-suspect-arrested-for-setting-fire-to-building-home-to-turks

etc, etc.

The only time I have seen Mrs j suffer direct, verbal racism was our first night in Germany, at a motel ...

Germany has issues.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    stodge said:

It now seems rather than Saigon in April 1975, we're going back to Busan in the autumn of 1950.

The Pentagon spokesman almost seems to be suggesting the country can be recaptured from the perimeter of Kabul Airport.

The Afghan Army has "tangible advantages" over the Taliban - well, less territory to defend is one.

They don't have an Inchon the Taleban though.

Literally. Where would you launch the amphibious invasion at Inchon that turned the Korean War around in Afghanistan?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

That is now significantly more likely if Afghanistan becomes a haven for terrorists again. US special forces were sent to Pakistan too to kill Bin Laden.

Given the worst terrorist attack in western history happened BEFORE the Afghan and Iraq invasions the legitimacy argument is rubbish, jihadis were already wanting to attack the west beforehand.

We have to be ready to take them on wherever they are, just Biden has given up the fight
    And Trump
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

SUBJUGATE THE HAMBURGER

Do you have a militant vegan website open in another tab?
    More like role playing: at a guess, C18 privateering.
    Allusion to a point I made, I think. My life will be complete if it turns out I have given birth to a new PB meme.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    Both Root and Kohli are fantastic batsmen but I don't think either is a great captain.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    HYUFD said:

The military presence in Afghnistan didn't prevent terrorist attacks.

It hasn't prevented the radicalisation of young people in the West via the Internet or via Imams in local mosques.

I've not heard a syllable from you about the radicalisation of young British people - all you want to do is kick President Biden. That might make you feel better but it doesn't solve any of the problem.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,223
    stodge said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

LDs up 1% to 10% after opposing the Afghan withdrawal. Tories unchanged, Labour down 1%
    Much as I would like to get excited by this, it really is meaningless at the 1% change. 3% and I'm interested, 5% and really excited. 1% does nothing to me.
    You'd be surprised what it does to some on here.

CON -1 and LAB +1 is Starmer measuring up the curtains at No.10 or the end of civilisation as we know it (delete as appropriate).

CON +1 and LAB -1 is Johnson winning a second term to lead the country to new heights of glory or the end of civilisation as we know it (delete as appropriate).
    It did take a while for some to understand the concept of reporting day. Reporting lag was another one....

To be fair the slowest took about 3 months to work those out - which was about 3 months quicker than than Prof. Peston.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Literally. Where would you launch the amphibious invasion at Inchon that turned the Korean War around in Afghanistan?
    If you wanted to come from a different angle, you'd have to come through Iran. Which seems....... unlikely!
    I wondered if you'd be out looking for a punning opportunity. Had a good afternoon?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Both Root and Kohli are fantastic batsmen but I don't think either is a great captain.

Everyone knows Ajinkya Rahane is a better captain than Kohli - he won a Test series in Oz from behind FFS, not too many captains can say that - but it's politically inexpedient to admit it. Kohli is the star player, even more than Tendulkar was, and he must therefore be front and centre. Tendulkar, indeed, might have been kept as captain had he not resigned, feeling (a) that it was affecting his batting and (b) that it was a fecking impossible job because of Azharuddin's influence (ironically rapidly eliminated after Tendulkar's resignation by match-fixing revelations).

And if we're honest, while Kohli has his runs along with those of Rohit Sharma, Pujara and Pant, coupled with Bumrah and Ishant Sharma's pace and Ashwin and Jadeja's guile, it probably doesn't matter that much who's leading them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

I wondered if you'd be out looking for a punning opportunity.
    That's like asking fish if they swim!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,223

stodge said:

The N Koreans and Chinese were'nt pushed back from Pusan, so much as outflanked by landings not far from Seoul.
    "Mon centre céde, ma droite recule, situation excellente, j'attaque."
  • Options

Mind you, looking forward to those who are never done criticising Merkel for ‘opening the floodgates’ getting all sniffy about Laschet.

The more Laschet talks, the more the Union loses support - back in the mid-20s after flirting with 30% a few weeks ago.

The Finance Minister and SPD Spitzenkandidat is doing so much better - IF the SPD finish second, perhaps we could see that SPD-Green-FDP Government after all. Lindner only ruled out being in a coalition led by the Greens - he didn't rule out a coalition led by another party including Greens.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Face it. You've got no Seoul.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Trump is fucking taking credit for it you prannock. You are blaming Biden for something that Trump is literally boasting about having personally done.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

I was just explaining why Korea isn't a Kasong point for Afghanistan comparisons.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,103
    edited August 2021

HYUFD said:

Major breaking news, Boris and Macron to hold......a virtual G7 summit on Afghanistan.

I think he should get out there pronto and charm the Taliban into a gibbering wreck with his comedy. It's not too late.

Edit: Boris, I mean, not HYUFD.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Trump is fucking taking credit for it you prannock. You are blaming Biden for something that Trump is literally boasting about having personally done.
    Who was that governor who claimed he was drafted for a top-league baseball team, and having been completely nailed and not having a leg to stand on, simply said, 'I have now researched the matter and come to the conclusion I was not drafted by the As?'

Donald Trump will doubtless exhibit a similar level of chutzpah.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Well it was not on Trump's watch Kabul fell back to the Taliban was it, obviously he will do, this is Trump.
    '
    It was Biden who allowed Trump to call him a loser on this, he has noone to blame but himself for withdrawing US forces in such a chaotic manner and Trump will obviously always say he would have done it perfectly
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I think he should get out there pronto and charm the Taliban into a gibbering wreck with his comedy. It's not too late.
    I still think we should send Gavin Williamson, Nick Gibb, Amanda Spielman and the DfE out there to handle logistics for the Taleban.

They'll be reduced to picking up rocks to throw inside about a week.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I've heard those lads love the artfully clumsy deployment of an umbrella.
  • Options
    So are we going to take in Afghan refugees then? Or are we going to have smirking Priti announce that we don't want to take in these terrorists.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    stodge said:

The more Laschet talks, the more the Union loses support - back in the mid-20s after flirting with 30% a few weeks ago.

The Finance Minister and SPD Spitzenkandidat is doing so much better - IF the SPD finish second, perhaps we could see that SPD-Green-FDP Government after all. Lindner only ruled out being in a coalition led by the Greens - he didn't rule out a coalition led by another party including Greens.
    Why would the FDP abandon their normal coalition partner, the CDU, with whom they agree on more issues than the Greens for a coalition with the Greens? A Union-SPD-FDP coalition is far more likely especially given the Union will likely still be largest party
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on HYUFD, and why not a double act?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I still think we should send Gavin Williamson, Nick Gibb, Amanda Spielman and the DfE out there to handle logistics for the Taleban.

I'd be worried about the rock supply being disrupted. Even in the Stan.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,015
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Boris wouldn’t want the risk of being upstaged.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The military presence in Afghnistan didn't prevent terrorist attacks.

It hasn't prevented the radicalisation of young people in the West via the Internet or via Imams in local mosques.

I've not heard a syllable from you about the radicalisation of young British people - all you want to do is kick President Biden. That might make you feel better but it doesn't solve any of the problem.
    Of course it did, we have had no 9/11 2 for 20 years.

The chances of 9/11 2 are now growing every day after Biden allowed Afghanistan to become a terrorist state again.

Yes we can deal with radicalisation too (and the police and security forces are) but where did most of those radicals go to be trained in terror before the invasion? Afghanistan
  • Options

Afghanistan is a mess. As are many other countries.

And so is the UK. But on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is minor political incompetence and 10 is all-out civil/religious war, we're at 1, or 1.5. And the scale is probably exponential.

The news today makes me incredibly glad to have been born in, and living in the, UK. And it makes me more determined for the country to become 0.25 or 0.5, not 2 or 3.

'We' are lucky, folks ...

This is very true and worth remembering sometimes.
  • Options
    I was just thinking that India should have played two spinners, but Bumrah's so good he can bowl off-spin too.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Another one overturned on review.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I was just thinking that India should have played two spinners, but Bumrah's so good he can bowl off-spin too.

Just Anderson and Wood to survive nine overs.

Where's that bloody rain?

Or Monty Panesar?
  • Options

So are we going to take in Afghan refugees then? Or are we going to have smirking Priti announce that we don't want to take in these terrorists.

So what's your answer to the problem? Please give us a fully-considered view on what the government should be doing. Numbers and details preferred.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Pretty much anywhere along the Khost.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1427299373545926664

Bit of a gap opening between the pollsters now?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,056

So what's your answer to the problem? Please give us a fully-considered view on what the government should be doing. Numbers and details preferred.
    This clown has been prattling on in this vein all day. You’d be better served beating your head against a brick wall.
  • Options
    @HYUFD liked one of my Tweets, my life is complete
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Just Anderson and Wood to survive nine overs.

Where's that bloody rain?

Or Monty Panesar?
    Panesar is at Waitrose. Just seen him.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited August 2021

This crisis does not warrant cheap point scoring and I hope and expect HMG to provide a safe haven for those who helped us and the UK-EU-US need to formulate a sensible and equitable safe haven for Afghan women and children fleeing the Taliban
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,639
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Everyone knows Ajinkya Rahane is a better captain than Kohli - he won a Test series in Oz from behind FFS, not too many captains can say that - but it's politically inexpedient to admit it. Kohli is the star player, even more than Tendulkar was, and he must therefore be front and centre. Tendulkar, indeed, might have been kept as captain had he not resigned, feeling (a) that it was affecting his batting and (b) that it was a fecking impossible job because of Azharuddin's influence (ironically rapidly eliminated after Tendulkar's resignation by match-fixing revelations).

And if we're honest, while Kohli has his runs along with those of Rohit Sharma, Pujara and Pant, coupled with Bumrah and Ishant Sharma's pace and Ashwin and Jadeja's guile, it probably doesn't matter that much who's leading them.
    There is a difference between who is the best captain for a one-off series or longer term. Kohli has been an exceptional captain by setting standards and driving performance and professionalism into the heart of Indian cricket. Whether he is a tactical genius or average, he has proven himself a great captain with the success of his team.
  • Options
    Buttler, you twit.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573
    edited August 2021
    This is not a column about trans issues. It is a column about basing government policy, in part, on a survey of 84 Canadian youths conducted more than a decade ago

This is not a column about transgenderism. It is about something larger than that. For although the increasingly heated, bitter and frankly unresolvable trans issue will not disappear anytime soon, the manner in which Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish government have handled this issue tells us something important. So this is a column about how the Scottish government thinks, the way it develops policy, and then the way it attempts to persuade voters this policy is appropriate, proportionate and wise.

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1427314812560814084?s=20
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,897
    kinabalu said:

And so is the UK. But on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is minor political incompetence and 10 is all-out civil/religious war, we're at 1, or 1.5. And the scale is probably exponential.

The news today makes me incredibly glad to have been born in, and living in the, UK. And it makes me more determined for the country to become 0.25 or 0.5, not 2 or 3.

Yes it is

Maybe there should be some kind of penalty for first world problem whining? Anyone caught griping online about being addressed by the wrong pronoun, or accusing others of micro aggressions, should have to spend a day fundraising for refugees
  • Options
    Well, that was quick, but it was hardly painless.

There are only three things England did wrong.

They batted badly, bowled badly and fielded badly.
  • Options
    That’ll be that then. A good evening’s cricket, to distract from more important things going on in the world.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    This debacle was totally avoidable. The tactics when India were 8 down was disgraceful in its stupidity.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I have this rock that scares tigers.

Never been attacked by a tiger so it must work.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,118
    Better team came through when it mattered. We won’t improve until we sort numbers 1, 2 and 3 in the order.
  • Options

@HYUFD liked one of my Tweets, my life is complete

It's a grand achievement, to be sure, but aim higher still, we believe in you.
  • Options

This crisis does not warrant cheap point scoring and I hope and expect HMG to provide a safe haven for those who helped us and the UK-EU-US need to formulate a sensible and equitable safe haven for Afghan women and children fleeing the Taliban
    Everyone trying to get into Kent from France on a dinghy will say they’re an Afghan now, so says Farage
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Well it was not on Trump's watch Kabul fell back to the Taliban was it, obviously he will do, this is Trump.
    '
    It was Biden who allowed Trump to call him a loser on this, he has noone to blame but himself for withdrawing US forces in such a chaotic manner and Trump will obviously always say he would have done it perfectly
    You are right about the fallout being on Biden's watch.

You are also correct that Biden could have stopped the exit.

I question both Biden's morality that he didn't stop Trump's Doha Treaty fiasco and I cannot countenance how ill informed Military Intelligence and the CIA would appear to be. The latter point you conveniently overlook.
  • Options
    A top level Test side shouldn't be knocked over for diddly squat inside two sessions.

South Africa had it handed out to them in the pomp of Trescothick, Harmison and Hoggard, but it doesn't happen too often.

There are still major question marks over the batting here.
  • Options

Better team came through when it mattered. We won’t improve until we sort numbers 1, 2 and 3 in the order.

Yep. The runs are supposed to come from the top of the order, not be relying on the bowlers to bat at 6:30pm.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,367

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

I don’t think Joseon for a full scale re-invasion, anyway.
  • Options

I've got little idea what the UK government should be doing. I've got an idea of what I'd like the end state to be - which might well be different from what the majority of Afghans want it to be, as I'm speaking from a UK perspective. But I've got little idea how to get there, especially after the last forty or more years.

It's therefore fair to ask people criticising the government before they've done much what they'd prefer the government to be doing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

And yet the result ended up being damn close. The power of Root.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Why would the FDP abandon their normal coalition partner, the CDU, with whom they agree on more issues than the Greens for a coalition with the Greens? A Union-SPD-FDP coalition is far more likely especially given the Union will likely still be largest party
    I'm sceptical about the prospects of an SPD-Green-FDP coalition at the national level even though there has been a successful one in Rhineland Palatinate since 2016. That said the FDP collapsed talks with the CDU/CSU and Greens last time so who knows.

The mood and momentum does seem to be *against the CDU/CSU* (though most of the national swing is from CDU/CSU to the Greens in urban areas since 2017). The SPD hasn't yet polled more than 20% nationally in any poll but there was a poll out yesterday with the SPD polling ahead of the CDU in Merkel's home state.
  • Options
    So England collapsed faster than the Afghan Government?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

It's not impossible the SPD will be the largest party rather than the Union so Olaf Scholz would be Chancellor. I suspect Lindner and the FDP would be quite comfortable with Scholz who is a fiscal moderate. The Greens would be forced to moderate some of their ideas to join the coalition but the prospect of being back in power for the first time in a generation might encourage that thinking.

As for the Union, perhaps they will decide after such a reversal to spend some time in opposition to regroup and reconsider their policies. The CDU/CSU have been in Government since 2005 (the SPD were in opposition from 2009-2013) but are now facing their worst result since 1949.

Even "natural parties of Government" need spells in Opposition to regroup and rethink.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I've heard those lads love the artfully clumsy deployment of an umbrella.
    Yep - the greats can cross the barriers of culture and language.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,090
    Everyone was slating England's batting after the First Test, and taking consolation in our bowling, but the two points at which this match went wrong for England were to do with the bowling. Choosing to bowl and taking only three wickets on the first day, and allowing India to score an unbeaten 89 for their second-innings ninth wicket this morning.

The team is in a bad way.
  • Options
    Root needs to have a serious think about what on earth he was doing when India were 223-8 and had, to quote Espncricinfo

'Just a wide slip in, all the other catchers(!) are on the boundary'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A top level Test side shouldn't be knocked over for diddly squat inside two sessions.

South Africa had it handed out to them in the pomp of Trescothick, Harmison and Hoggard, but it doesn't happen too often.

Jo'burg 2005, Hoggard's finest hour. Fantastic bowler.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    ydoethur said:

Utterly spineless. No need to select the two openers again.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Root needs to have a serious think about what on earth he was doing when India were 223-8 and had, to quote Espncricinfo

As someone who doesn't know much about cricket, that last line might as well be: 'Just a small crater in, all the other falafels(!) are on the meridian'. ;)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Only close between India and draw though.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,090
    Pulpstar said:

I think Root is close to setting the record for most Tests as England captain, but he's never shown any sign of growing into the role.

Fabulous bat, but as a leader of the team we need to look elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

It's not impossible the SPD will be the largest party rather than the Union so Olaf Scholz would be Chancellor. I suspect Lindner and the FDP would be quite comfortable with Scholz who is a fiscal moderate. The Greens would be forced to moderate some of their ideas to join the coalition but the prospect of being back in power for the first time in a generation might encourage that thinking.

As for the Union, perhaps they will decide after such a reversal to spend some time in opposition to regroup and reconsider their policies. The CDU/CSU have been in Government since 2005 (the SPD were in opposition from 2009-2013) but are now facing their worst result since 1949.

Even "natural parties of Government" need spells in Opposition to regroup and rethink.
    They won't, Laschet was picked not for his electability, if they wanted that they would have gone for Soder but his ability to continue the coalition with the SPD and to be able to deal with the Greens too if needed.

Unless the SPD are largest party no chance the Union will choose to go into opposition, the SPD still also facing one of their worst postwar results
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    Pulpstar said:

ABSOLUTE MADNESS WTF WERE THEY DOING?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Only close between India and draw though.
    When you've batted, bowled and fielded worse than the other team you'd be happy with even that many options.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    Rather than asking what it is about religious men that makes them think that their wives can’t think for themselves we should be asking why are they so often pedophiles?
    9? That’s perverted. As their wives would tell them if asked.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Utterly spineless. No need to select the two openers again.
    Just start with the No. 3? Well, it wouldn't make a lot of difference tbf.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,367
    edited August 2021
    A young Chinese woman says she was held for eight days at a Chinese-run secret detention facility in Dubai along with at least two Uyghurs, in what may be the first evidence that China is operating a so-called “black site” beyond its borders
    https://twitter.com/maxwalden_/status/1427132771089018883

Link to the AP report.
    https://apnews.com/article/china-dubai-uyghurs-60d049c387b99b1238ebd5f1d3bb3330
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Jo'burg 2005, Hoggard's finest hour. Fantastic bowler.
    Although I think South Africa were still shell-shocked by the pounding Trescothick had given them in the morning.

I was listening on the radio as I'd gone shopping in Gloucester that day. I turned it off when he was on about 110, and came back less than an hour later to find he'd been out some time - for 180.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A young Chinese woman says she was held for eight days at a Chinese-run secret detention facility in Dubai along with at least two Uyghurs, in what may be the first evidence that China is operating a so-called “black site” beyond its borders

Link to the AP report.

Ooh. That might be quite the diplomatic incident…
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,794
    Nigelb said:

Link to the AP report.

Doing what America has done for decades

Next, China will start casually droning its dissident enemies in Australia or France. And what moral objection can we have?
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes it is

Maybe there should be some kind of penalty for first world problem whining? Anyone caught griping online about being addressed by the wrong pronoun, or accusing others of micro aggressions, should have to spend a day fundraising for refugees
    Of course you pick examples to suit a political agenda - yours - and thus lose the point of the point.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Rather than asking what it is about religious men that makes them think that their wives can’t think for themselves we should be asking why are they so often pedophiles?

It shows how disgustingly in thrall to the literal interpretation of Islam the Taliban is, no other nation on earth has an age of consent of 9 (It's the age Aisha/Muhammad consumated their marriage).
    Women's views, and the views of the civilised world are an irrelevance to them.
    The next lowest is Nigeria at 11.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    There were circa 800 people on that C17 earlier - might be a record ....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,859
  • Options

I'm sceptical about the prospects of an SPD-Green-FDP coalition at the national level even though there has been a successful one in Rhineland Palatinate since 2016. That said the FDP collapsed talks with the CDU/CSU and Greens last time so who knows.

The mood and momentum does seem to be *against the CDU/CSU* (though most of the national swing is from CDU/CSU to the Greens in urban areas since 2017). The SPD hasn't yet polled more than 20% nationally in any poll but there was a poll out yesterday with the SPD polling ahead of the CDU in Merkel's home state.

Yes, that's a reasonable analysis.

The SPD have been advancing in recent polls and have not only overtaken the Greens but reached 20% in the latest INSA poll.

Unlike @HYUFD, I think the time is up for the Union and they will go into opposition after their worst performance ever. That's not to say Scholz is going to get a ringing endorsement either - doing a fraction better than their worsr ever result is hardly success but the SPD will be happier than the CDU who have won every poll since 2002 (that was only a fractional loss).

The last time the SPD decisively outpointed the CDU was when they won 40-35 in 1998. That's 75% for the Union and the SPD, now it's 45%. That's a fundamental electoral shift.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

They won't, Laschet was picked not for his electability, if they wanted that they would have gone for Soder but his ability to continue the coalition with the SPD and to be able to deal with the Greens too if needed.

Unless the SPD are largest party no chance the Union will choose to go into opposition, the SPD still also facing one of their worst postwar results
    Laschet's position is looking very dodgy though in the CDU/CSU though now . Even if the CDU/CSU is the largest grouping, he is not necessarily secure if they only get about 25%.

Personally I was quite surprised the CDU/CSU did not go for Söder.

• Options
    Floater said:

There were circa 800 people on that C17 earlier - might be a record ....

Still some way short of Operation Solomon:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Solomon
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,221
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

This is just nonsense.

There haven’t been any ‘major’ overseas terrorist attacks for years because they no longer have the capability to organise them. Western intelliegence and security is better and the prospect of one overarching organisation with a degree of command and control has been replaced by factionalism and infighting as Al Queda fell apart. The bigger threat is ISIS and they are the result of an even more foolish western intervention.

That the Taliban are all able to stroll back into Afghanistan is proof that they are hardly in need of a “haven”. Many are young and will have been recruited as a counter-reaction to western occupation and perceived or actual injustice.

Departure in ignominy was inevitable from the moment we went in there, just as it was for the Russians and British in history. The departure could perhaps have been handled more cleverly (although a quick and relatively peaceful takeover is much preferable to a long and bloody civil war ending with the same outcome), but the biggest mistake appears to be the Americans - with us as their useful idiots - kidding themselves that many Afghans were really motivated to fight the Taliban once western troops had gone away. The waste of time and money has been colossal.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

OMG OMFFFFG the Ancient Athenian Agora

If the Parthenon disappoints (and it does, despite its sublimity) the Agora is the opposite. OK it probably helped I was half cut on three big ouzos and it was the perfect time of day - 6pm, the Attic sun setting… but it is stunning

The most perfect Greek temple in the world. Hephaestus. The stoa where stoicism started. The arches where Socrates and Plato and Aristotle argued. The Acropolis glowing above (by far the best view of it). The olive groves where democracy was born. The bloody bidet of Pericles, or something

Honestly, a genius place, in the true sense. Athens is amazing now the fucking tourists are all dead
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Yes it is

Of course you pick examples to suit a political agenda - yours - and thus lose the point of the point.
    Ah if you cant see a good point made because you disagree with the examples, you're not half the man I thought you were!
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Boris wouldn’t want the risk of being upstaged.
    Which is why he likes to be surrounded by idiots. Anyhow, back to the proposition…
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

If the Parthenon disappoints (and it does, despite its sublimity) the Agora is the opposite. OK it probably helped I was half cut on three big ouzos and it was the perfect time of day - 6pm, the Attic sun setting… but it is stunning

The most perfect Greek temple in the world. Hephaestus. The stoa where stoicism started. The arches where Socrates and Plato and Aristotle argued. The Acropolis glowing above (by far the best view of it). The olive groves where democracy was born. The bloody bidet of Pericles, or something

Honestly, a genius place, in the true sense. Athens is amazing now the fucking tourists are all dead
    Thank you!
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited August 2021
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

It shows how disgustingly in thrall to the literal interpretation of Islam the Taliban is, no other nation on earth has an age of consent of 9 (It's the age Aisha/Muhammad consumated their marriage).
    Just horrific.

These men are medieval. It’s basically a paedo cult.
  • Options
    ping said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Just horrific.

These men are medieval. It’s basically a paedo cult.
    Catholic priests were so much better?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,015
    Trump weighs in:

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Thank you!
    No, thank YOU. I wouldn’t have gone if you hadn’t raved about it. I’ve been all over the world and I find it easy to be blasé. But, wow

Especially now, with so few tourists, despite the glories of high summer

If you ever do it I recommend you do it just how I did it. Uber to the Acropolis, have lunch first. Boozy. Greek salad. Taramasalata. Perhaps in the museum (I didn’t go there but the restaurant is said to be fab)

Then slog up the Parthenon in the high high heat. Treat it as a pilgrimage, where the suffering is the point. Get to the top. Say, OK, this is a bit shit, but whatever, it’s also amazing. Admire a karyatid and some coffering. Spot Glenn Close in a hat (I did)

Then, slightly shrugging, walk down the other side, the shadier more interesting side. Past the oldest churches. Have several soothing ouzos in a charming taverna (there are many). Then go to the Agora nearby and basically have an orgasm at the density of beautiful history in a place that looks like an idealised painting of Ancient Greece

Oh yes. Oh yes.
  • Options

Laschet's position is looking very dodgy though in the CDU/CSU though now . Even if the CDU/CSU is the largest grouping, he is not necessarily secure if they only get about 25%.

Personally I was quite surprised the CDU/CSU did not go for Söder.

I saw some polling with Soder as leader which put the Union in the mid to high 30s. As @HYUFD has opined, it may well be Laschet, who was chosen strongly by the CDU members rather than the CSU members may be more capable of getting the SPD and Greens (and FDP) to work with him than Soder who would be harder pushed to find coalition allies (and hadn't ruled out talking to AfD).
This discussion has been closed.