Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

At Batley and Spen Starmer’s LAB did something that the Tories haven’t managed since 2016… – politic

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

It’s not just us that have noticed this *thing*

‘When are we going to get a longread on the social media radicalisation of FBPE people? It's very sad to watch’

‘ > often educated professionals
    > 10k follows
    > 11k followers
    > Bio an alphabet soup of acronyms
    > Can't watch the football because they think they live in a Hitlerite regime

They haven't quite got to paedo-deep-state conspiracy but the distinction with Qboomers isn't massive!’

https://twitter.com/eggrollshogun/status/1413129834356563972?s=21

Wasn't it you at the beginning of the tournament dissing the England team, and clutching at your pearls over taking the knee?
    Yup, a pound shop Laurence Fox.
    And who was it who assured us the analysts have proven Rice couldn’t possibly play as well as he has done? Anyone wish to put their hands up?
    I don't think analysts ever said he couldn't play "well", it is that he is limited and that the team use him a particular way because of his limitations. Which is exactly what they have done.

He isn't allowed to make expansive passes, he is told he must slow its right down, because they aren't confident that he won't make a mistake if he tries to work at pace.
    It was you was it? Oh Francis. What is posted on PB lives for ever. Shall we go back and have a look?
    Nah, stuff from the pre Vanilla days is lost. Quite handily for certain posters.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,869
    The best thing about an England win . Hopefully the media will move on from 1966 ! The worst thing , the fat oaf in no 10 will be acting as if he scored the winning goal!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981
    kinabalu said:

Calvin MAGA Robinson giving a masterclass in ‘booing knee taking good but the England team are fab’ fuddery on C4 just know.

With quite an old looking Billy Bragg. But I've just checked and he has a right to look quite old. He's quite old.
    I was 21 years when I wrote this song. I’m 22 now, but won’t be for long.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited July 2021

Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

Worse than that. He's an actual racist, on travellers, and I suspect on other matters: refusing to watch England because of "the knee" is pathetic and hints that he has issues. The Tories would do well to get rid of him.
    I was genuinely shocked that the Tories let him be a candidate.

He was a Labour party member, and also Gloria De Piero's office manager until quite recently.
    Didn't he also have a bit of an issue relating to antisemitism?
    Mr Ross D. MP also has been reported as having issues with Travellers (I don't know enoughj about the matter to comment myself one way or another):

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/douglas-ross-and-the-war-on-scotlands-travellers/
    Hatred of pikeys seems to be the acceptable racism. We had a horrible run in over travellers sites which the council legally had to look at using set criteria, and the local indies and town council were all "we don't want their sort here"
    Some sites are fine. Others seem to be the source of all fly tipping within a 10 mile radius (amongst other things).
    I used to work in a shop growing up and there were seven (large) families from the local traveller site that would visit. Of those, members of six of the seven would be guaranteed to attempt shoplifting if they were not being directly watched by a retail assistant. One we found we could trust. It is very hard to not develop prejudicial views with those sort of ratios.
    It's a problem, and those who deny it is a problem don't help.

Especially since it's a cultural issue not a racial one. You can't look at someone's skin colour and think that.
    Meanwhile, from the pages of Viz... https://external-preview.redd.it/LIvTpL6qteIJklNiOhxiiTzM6PLGFmySBd_QymwvnKc.png?auto=webp&s=deb5c7222029085df7964df9c6ec25acf58c2630
    It's droll because it's true. 😂

A couple of years ago land I was emergency contact for dealing with as it was between uses and a community of travellers arrived overnight.

Spoke to the Council who said that they didn't get involved with that and as it's private land I'd need to contact lawyers to get it resolved.

Then a day or two later got a call from the Council letting me know that they were going to install showers, toilet cubicles etc but told me not to worry as I wasn't going to be sent the invoice for that. Oh gee thanks, do me a favour why don't you!

After they were moved on the Council made clear since it was private land they wouldn't contribute to cleaning up the mess left behind either.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited July 2021

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

‘When are we going to get a longread on the social media radicalisation of FBPE people? It's very sad to watch’

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

They haven't quite got to paedo-deep-state conspiracy but the distinction with Qboomers isn't massive!’

Wasn't it you at the beginning of the tournament dissing the England team, and clutching at your pearls over taking the knee?
    And who was it who assured us the analysts have proven Rice couldn’t possibly play as well as he has done? Anyone wish to put their hands up?
    I don't think analysts ever said he couldn't play "well", it is that he is limited and that the team use him a particular way because of his limitations. Which is exactly what they have done.

He isn't allowed to make expansive passes, he is told he must slow its right down, because they aren't confident that he won't make a mistake if he tries to work at pace.
    It was you was it? Oh Francis. What is posted on PB lives for ever. Shall we go back and have a look?
    It isn't just my opinion. Chelsea analytics told Lampard he was not to sign Rice, because of a number of limitations that they didn't believe he was able to improve upon. England don't think he can either. He isn't a world class footballer, probably the weakest player in the England team.

Bellington is the future for that position.
    Bellington’s not a screen in front of back four, he is more advanced and creative and dynamic. There is too much politics in the Chelsea court?

Phillips was man of match in the first game. Rice has been England’s best player over all, IMO.
    Philips plays the screen role for Leeds and much more able to distribute the ball long and short.....Future midfield is Philips and Bellingham.

Its not me saying it, England management don't trust Rice to do anything at pace. He is told if he gets it, he really is not to look to spray passes (which he tries for West Ham) and he is not to work at pace, he must slow it down. Southgate and Holland are too worried that he tries to work at the pace he does for West Ham he will make too many mistakes, that leads to what they call too many "chaotic" situations.
    Why aren't we playing Henderson, or Bellingham instead, if they don't trust him?

Not being snarky, interested in what you think the thinking is. Spain weren't worried about having a younger player than Bellingham in the first XI.
    I think it’s because Rice does the screen role they need far better than the other players in squad, and anyone else they could have called up. But that Francis has his own opinion of players attributes is making it a very good discussion. 🙂
    Philips and Henderson are better at that role, with the added advantage they are more creative. But Philips has to play out of position, due to lack of strength in the midfield ranks in general and Henderson isn't fit.
    Henderson has turned out at centre back for Liverpool, but I don’t think he has often just sat deep as water carrier for either club or country. Teams don’t all line up the same, Klopp wouldn’t send an England side out like Southgate, so role and duty in the system isn’t going to read across as symmetrically as you imply. Phillips key attribute of press and win ball high up the pitch would actually suite Klopps style IMO.
    Philips for Leeds is the deep water carrier. Everything starts with him picking it up from the back 4. But he is having to play Henderson's role, because Henderson isn't fit, and we don't have anybody else, but an 18 year old with very limited experience.

Henderson is a smart footballer and can do a number of roles extremely well.
    We are judging two players at different stages of their careers, six years apart, and I am not saying Henderson isn’t experienced and smart, but 25 year old Henderson versus 25 year old Phillips as England’s main midfield ball winner, it’s Phillips for me.

Football is all about opinions, yeah?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2021
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

It isn't just my opinion. Chelsea analytics told Lampard he was not to sign Rice, because of a number of limitations that they didn't believe he was able to improve upon. England don't think he can either. He isn't a world class footballer, probably the weakest player in the England team.

Bellington’s not a screen in front of back four, he is more advanced and creative and dynamic. There is too much politics in the Chelsea court?

Phillips was man of match in the first game. Rice has been England’s best player over all, IMO.
    Philips plays the screen role for Leeds and much more able to distribute the ball long and short.....Future midfield is Philips and Bellingham.

Its not me saying it, England management don't trust Rice to do anything at pace. He is told if he gets it, he really is not to look to spray passes (which he tries for West Ham) and he is not to work at pace, he must slow it down. Southgate and Holland are too worried that he tries to work at the pace he does for West Ham he will make too many mistakes, that leads to what they call too many "chaotic" situations.
    Why aren't we playing Henderson, or Bellingham instead, if they don't trust him?

Not being snarky, interested in what you think the thinking is. Spain weren't worried about having a younger player than Bellingham in the first XI.
    I think it’s because Rice does the screen role they need far better than the other players in squad, and anyone else they could have called up. But that Francis has his own opinion of players attributes is making it a very good discussion. 🙂
    Philips and Henderson are better at that role, with the added advantage they are more creative. But Philips has to play out of position, due to lack of strength in the midfield ranks in general and Henderson isn't fit.
    Henderson has turned out at centre back for Liverpool, but I don’t think he has often just sat deep as water carrier for either club or country. Teams don’t all line up the same, Klopp wouldn’t send an England side out like Southgate, so role and duty in the system isn’t going to read across as symmetrically as you imply. Phillips key attribute of press and win ball high up the pitch would actually suite Klopps style IMO.
    Philips for Leeds is the deep water carrier. Everything starts with him picking it up from the back 4. But he is having to play Henderson's role, because Henderson isn't fit, and we don't have anybody else, but an 18 year old.
    That would be what you would expect from deep lying playmaker, not anchor man.
    That's not how Leeds play under Biesla...his role is screening the defence and feeding the ball out, which is what Rice does for England in this tournament. Playmaking duties are via the crucial "enganche" role.

"Kalvin Phillips is often considered to be the single most important player in Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United side. He acts as the midfield anchor and improves the defence massively. But there is another vital role in the Argentine’s set-up which contributes to the team’s success at the other end of the pitch. This is the role of enganche, an Argentinian footballing term for the attacking playmaker tasked with creating most of the chances. With Pablo Hernandez’s power waning, Bielsa may be priming new signing Raphinha to take over the mantle in this position."

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/opinion/raphinha-going-bielsas-new-enganche
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,361
    These threads are getting pretty desperate and repetitive on the same theme. No.mention of Labour's woes,
    infantile MPs and front Bench. No.mention of the stupidity of Webbe Abbott and others... It's just relentless anti Tory threads. It seems that way to me. Anyway.... Boris is an arse but a bit of a level playing for once would not go amiss.

• Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

It isn't just my opinion. Chelsea analytics team told Lampard he was not to sign Rice, because of a number of limitations that they didn't believe he was able to improve upon. England don't think he can either. He isn't a world class footballer, probably the weakest player in the England team. But Henderson isn't fully fit and the only other alternative is 18 years old and only has one season of elite football under his belt.

Bellingham is the future for that position.
    The analytics people are no doubt far cleverer (and richer) than me but it does jar when they often talk as if the analytics are right and the actual result on the pitch is wrong. England beat Germany 2-0 but that doesn't count because they were level on xG (expected goals).
    xG is bullshit, especially for one game...no serious analyst uses it. Its become a running joke in the that community.

All xG basically tells you is shoot from close and central.
    As Klopp pointed out he doesn't trust xG because it seems not to realise excellent goalkeeping.
    The only people who use it are the media. Its like overall strike rate (or batting average) for batsmen in T20, none of the teams are using that, but the batsman strides to the wicket and Sky Sports flash that stat up.

In cricket is about what match up "advantage" a batsmen has vs given bowlers in the rotation, stage of the game, ground etc.
    I think strike rate stats are a big thing in dressing rooms, amongst players.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

And why wouldn't she?

EU chief Ursula von der Leyen says she wants Italy to beat England in Euro 2020 final

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1413576194230980609?s=20

Good for you Ursula.

I want England to hammer Italy, 3 or 4 to nil. Not because of Brexit or the EU or hatred of Italy. But because England's my team, and I support them and want them to win.

Why do you want Italy to win, Ursula?
    To be fair I would want Wales, Scotland or Ireland to win if they were playing despite being English. Nothing wrong with supporting other nations in your union at all especially if she is representing them as their president.
    You can barely move from all the love coming our way from the Scots in our union.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

Philips for Leeds is the deep water carrier. Everything starts with him picking it up from the back 4. But he is having to play Henderson's role, because Henderson isn't fit, and we don't have anybody else, but an 18 year old with very limited experience.

We are judging two players at different stages of their careers, six years apart, and I am not saying Henderson isn’t experienced and smart, but 25 year old Henderson versus 25 year old Phillips as England’s main midfield ball winner, it’s Phillips for me.

Not these days, its about data analytics and modeling....as are most sports.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

It isn't just my opinion. Chelsea analytics team told Lampard he was not to sign Rice, because of a number of limitations that they didn't believe he was able to improve upon. England don't think he can either. He isn't a world class footballer, probably the weakest player in the England team. But Henderson isn't fully fit and the only other alternative is 18 years old and only has one season of elite football under his belt.

The analytics people are no doubt far cleverer (and richer) than me but it does jar when they often talk as if the analytics are right and the actual result on the pitch is wrong. England beat Germany 2-0 but that doesn't count because they were level on xG (expected goals).
    xG is bullshit, especially for one game...no serious analyst uses it. Its become a running joke in the that community.

As Klopp pointed out he doesn't trust xG because it seems not to realise excellent goalkeeping.
    The only people who use it are the media. Its like overall strike rate (or batting average) for batsmen in T20, none of the teams are using that, but the batsman strides to the wicket and Sky Sports flash that stat up.

In cricket is about what match up "advantage" a batsmen has vs given bowlers in the rotation, stage of the game, ground etc.
    Nope....go and listen to Sam Billings talk about elite T20 cricket in the IPL and for England....it is all about statistical match-ups. They want to know are they exceeding the various expected norms for various situations / bowlers, not oh I scored faster than you (who batted at a different period of the game).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352

These threads are getting pretty desperate and repetitive on the same theme. No.mention of Labour's woes,
    infantile MPs and front Bench. No.mention of the stupidity of Webbe Abbott and others... It's just relentless anti Tory threads. It seems that way to me. Anyway.... Boris is an arse but a bit of a level playing for once would not go amiss.

"Other political blogs are available." :lol:
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    glw said:

Good news: between 1 February and 21 June this year, a period of nearly five months, only 118 fully vaccinated people in England are known to have died from Covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/09/vaccines-working-as-expected-in-preventing-covid-deaths-say-experts

Nothing other than the vaccines matters. Social distancing, contact tracing, masks, isolation, quarantining are all basically irrelevant now. The NPIs will not stop Delta, but the vaccines will save most lives.
    That's probably not far from the truth, especially in this country where most people have given up on social distancing, in particular, unless forced by specific circumstances (such as being seated in a restaurant,) and compliance with test and trace is probably in serious decline as well.

It'll be interesting to see, however, if the lockdown policies being deployed in Australia are enough to crush Delta now that it has established a toehold there.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

And why wouldn't she?

EU chief Ursula von der Leyen says she wants Italy to beat England in Euro 2020 final

Good for you Ursula.

I want England to hammer Italy, 3 or 4 to nil. Not because of Brexit or the EU or hatred of Italy. But because England's my team, and I support them and want them to win.

Perhaps they want a single European team?
    The "United" Kingdom should have a single team.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

Yep, what David Brailsford and Clive Woodward were doing two decades ago, and what F1 teams were doing two decades before that.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

And why wouldn't she?

Good for you Ursula.

"hatred of Italy"

Is there such a thing?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Italianism
  • Options
    edited July 2021

glw said:

Good news: between 1 February and 21 June this year, a period of nearly five months, only 118 fully vaccinated people in England are known to have died from Covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/09/vaccines-working-as-expected-in-preventing-covid-deaths-say-experts

Nothing other than the vaccines matters. Social distancing, contact tracing, masks, isolation, quarantining are all basically irrelevant now. The NPIs will not stop Delta, but the vaccines will save most lives.
    That's probably not far from the truth, especially in this country where most people have given up on social distancing, in particular, unless forced by specific circumstances (such as being seated in a restaurant,) and compliance with test and trace is probably in serious decline as well.

It'll be interesting to see, however, if the lockdown policies being deployed in Australia are enough to crush Delta now that it has established a toehold there.
    Compliance with test / trace / isolation has been piss poor throughout. I don't think most people just totally ignore it (other than there is certainly some people whose income is so reliant on work), but they know that a vast percentage of people do a few days, say I feel fine, I'm bored, I'm off down to Tesco's to get some food etc.
  • Options

I have great respect for OGH and it's his site so he's free to publish what he wants on it.

But there's a definite desperation of wanting by-elections to matter and an air of frustration that people don't care as much about by elections as they do about other issues that are more relevant to general elections.

But to be fair to a partisan Liberal Democrat there's not been much for him to cheer in the last six years so why not milk a couple of by elections for all you can get?

Its only human. I recall in one of Sir Alex Ferguson's final seasons we beat Man Utd at Old Trafford towards the end of the season. I celebrated and milked that victory for all it was worth as if we'd just won the league. A week or two later Man Utd won the league themselves, but I still clung to the fact we'd beaten them recently to avoid feeling bitter. Honest. 😉
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,347
    rcs1000 said:

And why wouldn't she?

Good for you Ursula.

I could understand neutrals rooting for Italy. They've generally been a much more dynamic and exciting team to watch than England. Though I did go off them slightly with the cynical play at the end of the match against Belgium that was effective in preventing Belgium from building up any momentum.

Also, like many English people I'd support other teams from Britain or Ireland that made it further into a competition than England. Italy's position as a fellow EU member is somewhat analogous to that for a German EU Commission President.

Seems perfectly natural to me.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

Yep, what David Brailsford and Clive Woodward were doing two decades ago, and what F1 teams were doing two decades before that.
    As TSE loves to tell us, there is a reason Liverpool are so good, they employ people who were academics in things like astrophysicists forming a crucial part of their team.

At Man City apparently they have specially marked pitches, which these different sized non-aligned boxes, and they players are analysed in regards to how long they spent in a box, was the box they were in aligned with a box a certain other player was....and the players are drilled in what patterns Pep wants the players to transition through these different boxes. Its a game of 4d chess....

If you can't take this onboard, no amount of keepie uppsies or ability to do the triple step over, will get you anywhere near the team.

• Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

Nope....go and listen to Sam Billings talk about elite T20 cricket in the IPL and for England....it is all about statistical match-ups. They want to know are they exceeding the various expected norms for various situations / bowlers, not oh I scored faster than you (who batted at a different period of the game).
    If you got the proven strike rate you come out and turn or close out the match.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

Nope....not anymore....it isn't how T20 works now.

Sam Billings was even talking about they are even told about not running 1's under certain conditions, due to 2 balls faced by your match-up is worth a greater expected return than 1 ball with 1 run for you + 1 ball vs the other batsman.

The game is broken down into match-ups and also how the match-ups change at various stages of the innings...with obviously the different fielding restrictions in place at different times, and who they think will be the different bowlers during those stages.

It is far more involved than Batsmen A has an overall high strike rate, he opens or closes. Its depends on if you are setting the pace, chasing, the ground you are playing, the opposition bowlers.....

Billings says some IPL teams are ahead of even England in this regard.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

There is rather a lot of wind — a great heaving blast of hot air as Sturgeon relays familiar cant about every death being a tragedy and the pains and impositions of calling the shots. We know all this — not least because she keeps repeating it — but someone has told the First Minister this makes her sound relatable or empathetic and so we get the pained grimaces and the grave tone of voice. She’s not going to get independence any time soon but she must be in the running for a BAFTA.

https://stephendaisley.substack.com/p/sturgeon-meets-her-personality-cult

What an absolute shit bag he is.
    You think she's getting independence anytime soon?
    Yeah, that's not the thing that makes him a despicable piece of shit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,709

There’s always ConHome….
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Carnyx said:

Worse than that. He's an actual racist, on travellers, and I suspect on other matters: refusing to watch England because of "the knee" is pathetic and hints that he has issues. The Tories would do well to get rid of him.

He was a Labour party member, and also Gloria De Piero's office manager until quite recently.
    Mr Ross D. MP also has been reported as having issues with Travellers (I don't know enoughj about the matter to comment myself one way or another):

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/douglas-ross-and-the-war-on-scotlands-travellers/
    Hatred of pikeys seems to be the acceptable racism. We had a horrible run in over travellers sites which the council legally had to look at using set criteria, and the local indies and town council were all "we don't want their sort here"
    Almost as acceptable as racism against "chavvy" WWC which you see from many on the left.
    That's not limited to the left.
    Not limited but increasingly the worst examples come from the left. As has been said before, try using some of the epitaphs often used against WWC and where they live against other groups. Chances are you would be getting a visit from the Police.
    Can I use a different example? This is slightly tangential, but we're all looking for stories that justify our existing prejudices, and the on-line news media (which is trained on a diet of clicks and shares) amplifies this.

Imagine there's a story in the Guardian about some poor immigrant, been in the country for 20 years, been as good as gold, and is now getting deported. Aren't are systems terrible?

Well, usually when the details come out, there's a very good reason for it. But - of course - the people who were initially indignant never see the new story.

The same happens on the other side of the spectrum with the Sun runs with some story of a criminal getting a laughably light sentence: just five years for aggravated assault or somesuch. And then, later, when the full story is revealed, it turns out that there were serious mitigating circumstances that somehow never made it into the original news article. But, of course, by then The Sun has moved on.

This all results in us getting ever more stuck in our comfortable intellectual ruts, where we never see information that challenges us, and we assume that we're always right and that people on the other side of the spectrum are wrong.
    Eg that supposed transperson with their bits out in the female spa 'story' the other day. Total bollox - excuse pun - but it served its purpose for those who grabbed and circ'd. Anger stoked.

Course that's an example (of your point) that serves MY views - there are ones the other way and in all ways.
    A deceptively edited Andy Ngo video was less than honest?

Say it ain't so!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,709
    FDA in more than a spot of bother…

https://twitter.com/megtirrell/status/1413548914058440707
    Acting FDA commissioner requests independent review of process that led to approval of Biogen's Alzheimer's drug
  • Options

I have great respect for OGH and it's his site so he's free to publish what he wants on it.

But there's a definite desperation of wanting by-elections to matter and an air of frustration that people don't care as much about by elections as they do about other issues that are more relevant to general elections.

But to be fair to a partisan Liberal Democrat there's not been much for him to cheer in the last six years so why not milk a couple of by elections for all you can get?

Its only human. I recall in one of Sir Alex Ferguson's final seasons we beat Man Utd at Old Trafford towards the end of the season. I celebrated and milked that victory for all it was worth as if we'd just won the league. A week or two later Man Utd won the league themselves, but I still clung to the fact we'd beaten them recently to avoid feeling bitter. Honest. 😉
    .. and I know other sites are available.. but It doesn't alter the fact that a valid point is being made...
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2021
    As OGH has pointed out, about 30 percent of Bedford town, wherein we both live, trace their immediate roots to Italy. And for me they enhance Bedford. When Italy does well at Football these ItalioBedfordians honk their horns and gather near the river, sometimes in their hundreds, in a happy smiley event of celebration.

Now, we did have a bit of English horn honking after the Denmark game. All fine. But English football hooligans are respected the world over. I wonder what might happen should Italy win. Or are hooligans only interested in fighting other hooligans.

I'm near enough to the river to hear the clamour. In any case expect there'll be cops aplenty.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    Alistair said:

There is rather a lot of wind — a great heaving blast of hot air as Sturgeon relays familiar cant about every death being a tragedy and the pains and impositions of calling the shots. We know all this — not least because she keeps repeating it — but someone has told the First Minister this makes her sound relatable or empathetic and so we get the pained grimaces and the grave tone of voice. She’s not going to get independence any time soon but she must be in the running for a BAFTA.

Nevertheless he knows exactly what his market wants to hear. A pity for him so few of them live in Scotland.
  • Options

Yeah yeah yeah....
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

Flatly disagree with you on that one. Not every team plays the same system, some systems don’t employ some roles, so there is always opinion what approach is best for the next project, and who is best in the roles in the system. Are you saying science tells you days before the first whilst goes? That is nonsense, that will never be the case.

Let me prove it. The whole foundation of your argument in this discussion.

Stray from attributes top trump, Take a glance at the roles box.

https://fminside.net/players/28005568-jordan-henderson

https://fminside.net/players/29113879-kalvin-phillips

https://fminside.net/players/28106491-declan-rice

Some systems don’t incorporate some roles.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514

As TSE loves to tell us, there is a reason Liverpool are so good, they employ people who were academics in things like astrophysicists forming a crucial part of their team.

At Man City apparently they have specially marked pitches, which these different sized non-aligned boxes, and they players are analysed in regards to how long they spent in a box, was the box they were in aligned with a box a certain other player was....and the players are drilled in what patterns Pep wants the players to transition through these different boxes. Its a game of 4d chess....

If you can't take this onboard, no amount of keepie uppsies or ability to do the triple step over, will get you anywhere near the team.

They have someone who also worked for NASA, it really is rocket science at the top clubs.

The attention to detail is something else, the most famous goal under Klopp was thanks to something the analysts discovered spending hours watching footage of Barcelona.

The Independent have revealed how Liverpool’s match analysts realised during the first leg at Camp Nou that Barcelona’s players moaned and became distracted whenever they conceded a free-kick or a throw-in.

They would protest even if the decision was blatantly correct.

And so Klopp sent a message through the club, with his message reaching Carl Lancaster, a coaching mentor at the club’s Kirkby academy.

Among Lancaster’s responsibilities is the co-ordination of ball boys and he instructed the lads to return the football as quickly as possible in the second leg.

This was picked up on by 14-year-old Oakley Cannonier, who wasted no time in serving Alexander-Arnold with 11 minutes to go.

And now, Cannonier is an Anfield hero.

https://www.givemesport.com/1473966-liverpool-instructed-ball-boys-to-return-the-football-as-quickly-as-possible-v-barcelona

But twats and dinosaurs like Richard Keys and Andy Gray mocked Liverpool and Klopp when they hired a specialist thrown in coach.

The decision of Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp to bring in a coach just to give an instruction of throw-ins has been ridiculed by Richard Keys and Andy Gray.

The former Sky Sports presenters were debating the merits of such a specialist role on beInSport with disbelief that such positions existed in modern football.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/liverpools-appointment-of-throw-in-coach-mocked-by-tv-pundits
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

Sam Billings was even talking about they are even told about not running 1's under certain conditions, due to 2 balls faced by your match-up is worth a greater expected return than 1 ball with 1 run for you + 1 ball vs the other batsman.

The game is broken down into match-ups and also how the match-ups change at various stages of the innings...with obviously the different fielding restrictions in place at different times, and who they think will be the different bowlers during those stages.

It is far more involved than Batsmen A has an overall high strike rate, he opens or closes.
    Nonsense. It doesn’t need any stat on a screen to define tangibles, the fans in the crowd who follow the team know who they want in at which stage and what needs to happen next. That has always been the case, and always will be the case.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

Flatly disagree with you on that one. Not every team plays the same system, some systems don’t employ some roles, so there is always opinion what approach is best for the next project, and who is best in the roles in the system. Are you saying science tells you days before the first whilst goes? That is nonsense, that will never be the case.

The reason not every team plays the same system is players. You have to maximise given the players you have....or you have to go out and try and find them, but they aren't always available.

Hence why England are playing the way they are, they can't play the Italian system even if they wanted to.

There is also 4d chess going on, this team plays this system and in such and such a position they are much stronger than us, therefore we need to counter that, but if we counter that, they will counter with this....

As for science can't tell you before the first whistle goes...Tony Bloom and Matthew Benham are currently sitting on massive yachts and owners of EPL teams, because it can do exactly this.

Most EPL clubs are only just getting up to speed with this. Liverpool and Man City are way ahead of the rest. Amazingly some teams, like Italy, in the Euros didn't even have agreements for the analytics data in place until the very start of the tournament.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,816
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Carnyx said:

Almost as acceptable as racism against "chavvy" WWC which you see from many on the left.
    and red heads, and short people.
    I saw somebody the other day with hair the colour of Irn-Bru. I had to try my hardest not to stare.
    I used to have hair that colour, very nearly. I'm tempted to wonder why you have a problem with that?
  • Options
    Well now.

The Securities and Exchange Commission today charged three individuals with insider trading in advance of an announcement by Long Blockchain Company (formerly known as Long Island Iced Tea Co.) that it was going to "pivot" from its existing beverage business to blockchain technology, which caused the company’s stock price to soar.

According to the SEC's complaint, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, Eric Watson, an undisclosed control person of Long Blockchain who helped drive this business change within the company and signed a confidentiality agreement not to disclose the company's business plans, tipped his friend and broker, Oliver Barret-Lindsay, of such plans, including by sharing with him a draft of the company's press release. Barret-Lindsay, in turn, allegedly passed the material nonpublic information on to his friend, Gannon Giguiere. Within hours of receiving this confidential information, Giguiere purchased 35,000 shares of Long Blockchain stock. According to the complaint, the company's stock price skyrocketed after the press release was issued, spiking more than 380% intraday. Within two hours of the announcement, Giguiere sold his shares for over $160,000 in illicit profits.

"The SEC remains committed to preventing all types of fraudulent conduct in connection with purported 'crypto' companies, including profiting from trading on material non-public information," said Richard R. Best, Director of the SEC's New York Regional Office.

The SEC's complaint charges Watson, Barret-Lindsay, and Giguiere with violating Section 10(b) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and Rule 10b-5 thereunder, and seeks permanent injunctions and civil penalties as to all defendants, and, additionally, an officer and director bar as to Watson.

The SEC previously charged Barret-Lindsay and Giguiere in connection with their alleged role in a stock manipulation scheme, which is currently in litigation. Both Lindsay and Giguiere pled guilty to criminal charges in connection with that matter. Additionally, the Commission revoked the registration of Long Blockchain's securities on Feb. 19, 2021, pursuant to Section 12(j) of the Exchange Act.

The SEC's investigation has been conducted by Lindsay S. Moilanen, Mark R. Sylvester, Diego Brucculeri, John O. Enright, and Sheldon L. Pollock, and the litigation will be led by Ms. Moilanen and Mr. Sylvester. The case is being supervised by Sanjay Wadhwa.

https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2021-121
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

It is far more involved than Batsmen A has an overall high strike rate, he opens or closes.
    Nonsense. It doesn’t need any stat on a screen to define tangibles, the fans in the crowd who follow the team know who they want in at which stage and what needs to happen next. That has always been the case, and always will be the case.
    Would you like to tell all the IPL teams and England they are wrong? I am only reporting what the like of Sam Billings, who actually plays for these teams says goes on.

For each game, they literally each get a data book, telling them every match up they could face, what the mathematical models says should be their returns vs that matchup (vs the average)....and these models guide the whole strategy.

The captains get these cheat charts for when they are the bowling team, with traffic light system, telling what match-ups to try and engineer, based again on all model that has been run.

And it did happen recently in an England game. Sam Curran didn't run 1's. If I remember he was batting with Mark Wood, and they were told Curran's expected return was higher than having Curran face 1 ball and then Wood face 1/2 balls.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Carnyx said:

I saw somebody the other day with hair the colour of Irn-Bru. I had to try my hardest not to stare.
    I used to have hair that colour, very nearly. I'm tempted to wonder why you have a problem with that?
    Same for my ex wife.

I have a huge weakness for gingers.

A ginger could persuade me to eat a pizza with pineapple on it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314

And why wouldn't she?

Still sore about the vaccines, Doc?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Carnyx said:

Same for my ex wife.

Er, not volunteering here ...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Carnyx said:

Same for my ex wife.

Er, not volunteering here ...
    Yeah, the final sentence should read

'A female ginger could persuade me to eat a pizza with pineapple on it.'
  • Options

They have someone who also worked for NASA, it really is rocket science at the top clubs.

The attention to detail is something else, the most famous goal under Klopp was thanks to something the analysts discovered spending hours watching footage of Barcelona.

The Independent have revealed how Liverpool’s match analysts realised during the first leg at Camp Nou that Barcelona’s players moaned and became distracted whenever they conceded a free-kick or a throw-in.

They would protest even if the decision was blatantly correct.

And so Klopp sent a message through the club, with his message reaching Carl Lancaster, a coaching mentor at the club’s Kirkby academy.

Among Lancaster’s responsibilities is the co-ordination of ball boys and he instructed the lads to return the football as quickly as possible in the second leg.

This was picked up on by 14-year-old Oakley Cannonier, who wasted no time in serving Alexander-Arnold with 11 minutes to go.

And now, Cannonier is an Anfield hero.

https://www.givemesport.com/1473966-liverpool-instructed-ball-boys-to-return-the-football-as-quickly-as-possible-v-barcelona

But twats and dinosaurs like Richard Keys and Andy Gray mocked Liverpool and Klopp when they hired a specialist thrown in coach.

The decision of Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp to bring in a coach just to give an instruction of throw-ins has been ridiculed by Richard Keys and Andy Gray.

The former Sky Sports presenters were debating the merits of such a specialist role on beInSport with disbelief that such positions existed in modern football.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/liverpools-appointment-of-throw-in-coach-mocked-by-tv-pundits
    When John Aldridge was our manager Tranmere had a player, Dave Challinor, who was such a throw in specialist that he could almost make a throw in seem like a corner. In two seasons he helped us reach the FA Cup Quarter Final twice and the League Cup final, from memory eliminating either seven Premiership teams in those cup runs. Although we also got relegated the same season.

Never underestimate the power of a good throw in.
  • Options
    With throw ins like this, who needs corners?

Anyone who thinks throw ins don't matter is an imbecile.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=771190066666272
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263

Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Carnyx said:

Same for my ex wife.

Yes. Very happy memories of an ex-girlfriend who had fiery red hair. She was *wild*
  • Options
    edited July 2021

With throw ins like this, who needs corners?

Anyone who thinks throw ins don't matter is an imbecile.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=771190066666272

I notice England engaged Walker in a number of long throws the other night. I haven't seen them do that prior in the competition.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Nevertheless he knows exactly what his market wants to hear. A pity for him so few of them live in Scotland.
    He did change his tone very dramatically some years back. I can't recall exactly when, or if this coincided with a change of employer. But it was very noticeable. Did Alex Salmond pish in his cappucino or something?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626

This may be of interest to someone:

A friend has 2 tickets in a corporate box for the England v Italy game on Sunday. He paid £3000 each, but he didn't realise when he bought them months ago that it was going to be the same day as his wedding! If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place...

It's at Leeds Registry Office, at 4pm. Her name is Sharon -- she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, has her own income and is a really good cook!

Afternoon All!
    That’s fairly elderly, Mr E; bit sexist, too, the bit about cooking!
    It came from a female friend.
    So women can't be sexist.

As a sexist comment, that's even worse, if you follow that line.

Of course a comment that anyone is a superb cook is a wonderful compliment not matter who makes it, and whoever gets cross about it needs to take a running jump :smile: .

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873

.. and I know other sites are available.. but It doesn't alter the fact that a valid point is being made...
    There's nothing stopping anyone putting up a thread on Labour's "woes" - I think @isam did one a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure what the "valid point" is - OGH isn't the BBC, he's not obliged to be impartial or to provide "balance" or anything like this. He provides the site which we happily use.

As for pro-Conservative threads - I refer you to the old maxim the only thing more boring than threads criticising the Government are threads supporting it.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

The reason not every team plays the same system is players. You have to maximise given the players you have....or you have to go out and try and find them, but they aren't always available.

Hence why England are playing the way they are, they can't play the Italian system even if they wanted to.

There is also 4d chess going on, this team plays this system and in such and such a position they are much stronger than us, therefore we need to counter that, but if we counter that, they will counter with this....

As for science can't tell you before the first whistle goes...Tony Bloom and Matthew Benham are currently sitting on massive yachts and owners of EPL teams, because it can do exactly this.

Most EPL clubs are only just getting up to speed with this. Liverpool and Man City are way ahead of the rest. Amazingly some teams, like Italy, in the Euros didn't even have agreements for the analytics data in place until the very start of the tournament.
    Did the science tell Liverpool it was about to go into a slump? With ridiculous home defeat one after another? Did it tell Liverpool how to get out of it? When they got on a roll it proved the depth of the slump was unnecessary. There were no excuses for it.

Football isn’t about opinions anymore? It’s the most pundited thing on earth. 😆. I don’t believe it. There are too many tangibles and options without knowing for sure. The best managers react quickly to the mistakes they have made in tactics, and can arrest inevitable slumps in ways science can never go. For example faith in a 21 year old to be star player in a tournament whilst playing anchor role.

I reckon there are numerous ways we can approach the Italy project. Does science know for sure it’s better with a back 5 or back 4? Use pace against their defence even though we have better all round players than the quicker forwards? Phillips to press more advanced or sit deeper? How often to look for the long ball?

Southgate has played a narrow defensive line to great effect, but there were signs Denmark may have noticed this and we’re exploiting the surrendered space.

My own preference would be to keep the back four and have that third centre back in midfield, maybe Henderson for Mount. I would sit deep and play a slow tempo and look to exploit runners anticipating a long ball. A style of play far more negative than we have played so far in this tournament.

I’m pretty sure the analysts or even pundits and managers wouldn’t agree with me. But that is what I would do.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334
    edited July 2021
    This is fantastic

Wow - stunning catch

BBC News - England v India: Harleen Deol makes stunning catch to dismiss Amy Jones
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/57785924
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    edited July 2021

This is fantastic

BBC News - England v India: Harleen Deol makes stunning catch to dismiss Amy Jones

There were some superb Indian catches.

Sadly it’s raining now. Still Duckworth Lewis gives it to England. At the moment.
  • Options

This is fantastic

Wow - stunning catch

I always love those catch, throw up high as you fall over the fence, jump back over and re-catch it catches. Few and far between and every one is always stunning.

I wonder if its something players even practice or if it is just pure instinct in that moment?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334

This is fantastic

There were some superb Indian catches.

Sadly it’s raining now. Still Duckworth Lewis gives it to England. At the moment.
    Yes it is a shame

Looks set in unfortunately
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,561
    stodge said:

There's nothing stopping anyone putting up a thread on Labour's "woes" - I think @isam did one a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure what the "valid point" is - OGH isn't the BBC, he's not obliged to be impartial or to provide "balance" or anything like this. He provides the site which we happily use.

As for pro-Conservative threads - I refer you to the old maxim the only thing more boring than threads criticising the Government are threads supporting it.
    It seems to me that politics is a bit stuck until something happens. 3 byelections have given each party something to cheer. Polls are fairly stuck, but anything could happen. The outcome of: opening up in July/August, ending the free money, autumn and winter and its unknowns. The current situation is priced in. What we are waiting for is game changing events. We are curiously short of them. But not short of things that pundits think ought to be.

• Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

Did the science tell Liverpool it was about to go into a slump? With ridiculous home defeat one after another? Did it tell Liverpool how to get out of it? When they got on a roll it proved the depth of the slump was unnecessary. There were no excuses for it.

Football isn’t about opinions anymore? It’s the most pundited thing on earth. 😆. I don’t believe it. There are too many tangibles and options without knowing for sure. The best managers react quickly to the mistakes they have made in tactics, and can arrest inevitable slumps in ways science can never go. For example faith in a 21 year old to be star player in a tournament whilst playing anchor role.

I reckon there are numerous ways we can approach the Italy project. Does science know for sure it’s better with a back 5 or back 4? Use pace against their defence even though we have better all round players than the quicker forwards? Phillips to press more advanced or sit deeper? How often to look for the long ball?

Southgate has played a narrow defensive line to great effect, but there were signs Denmark may have noticed this and we’re exploiting the surrendered space.

My own preference would be to keep the back four and have that third centre back in midfield, maybe Henderson for Mount. I would sit deep and play a slow tempo and look to exploit runners anticipating a long ball. A style of play far more negative than we have played so far in this tournament.

I’m pretty sure the analysts or even pundits and managers wouldn’t agree with me. But that is what I would do.
    It did..

They knew there would be a slump at some point in the season the moment Van Dijk was ruled out given how crucial he is to the way the team plays.

They also knew it would be a long slump the more central defenders were ruled out for the season.

That it happened when Liverpool were using their sixth and seventh choice central defenders.

They also knew that the slump would end when Obak, Phillips, and Williams were used to the way Klopp wanted them to play.

That's why FSG strangled at birth the notion Klopp was at risk of the sack.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626

Yeah yeah yeah....
    I think the correct answer is "so write one" !
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    Vaccine anecdote:

Cousin in law developed a couple of swollen lumps after second shot of Pfizer. Advised that it is a fairly common side effect and nothing to worry about.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

It did..

They knew there would be a slump at some point in the season the moment Van Dijk was ruled out given how crucial he is to the way the team plays.

They also knew it would be a long slump the more central defenders were ruled out for the season.

That it happened when Liverpool were using their sixth and seventh choice central defenders.

They also knew that the slump would end when Obak, Phillips, and Williams were used to the way Klopp wanted them to play.

Interesting. I knew Klopp was never going to be at risk but couldn't understand given the injuries crisis why we didn't pay what was needed for a world class central defender in the January window.

That helps explain, though we cut it extremely fine to qualify back into the European spots right at the nose.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

It did..

Interesting. I knew Klopp was never going to be at risk but couldn't understand given the injuries crisis why we didn't pay what was needed for a world class central defender in the January window.

That helps explain, though we cut it extremely fine to qualify back into the European spots right at the nose.
    I am fascinated by the decision to buy the defender from Preston...who then didn't play a single game.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

It did..

Is Van Dyke going to be back for the new season?
  • Options
    stodge said:

We come for a different take than the boring traditional media. We come to air a thought and see it challenged, we come because we like spunky lively debate. I don’t think we come here for a comfort blanket.

If the site has a balance problem, it’s because solidly centre right liberal Britain often has a problem listening to alternatives, hence the required reset of our take on capitalism is years over due.

I like the fact the editorial has a Lib Dem element from time to time, it’s a reminder there are many different springs that can bubble out refreshing views that can shape ideas and policy going forward.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

> 10k follows
    > 11k followers

It did..

I am fascinated by the decision to buy the defender from Preston...who then didn't play a single game.
    Indeed.

I'm no Klopp by any means but given the value of European football I'd have thought under the circumstances it might have been worth paying £40mn on a defender under the circumstances, who could then be re-sold in a couple of years if no longer needed.

Considering that Liverpool won ~£100mn from the Champions League the season before, not qualifying for Europe could have cost much more than that.

But Klopp sure knows what he's doing. I just don't understand that one.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

It seems to me that politics is a bit stuck until something happens. 3 byelections have given each party something to cheer. Polls are fairly stuck, but anything could happen. The outcome of: opening up in July/August, ending the free money, autumn and winter and its unknowns. The current situation is priced in. What we are waiting for is game changing events. We are curiously short of them. But not short of things that pundits think ought to be.

The nature of politics is there are two possibilities:

1) Quick - a single event will produce a rapid change in electoral fortunes. I don't know what that is or will be and it might not b immediately obvious.

2) Slow - the more likely, a drip-drip of little events or crises or scandals which slowly undermine Johnson's 2019 voting coalition. The pandemic has, as you say, put "normal" politics on hold and that may be the case for a while yet but from mid 2022 onwards I would expect a degree of political normality to return.

It's already forgotten but from September 2020 until January 2021, the Conservative and Labour parties were essentially tied at around 40% and Labour led several polls.

The vaccines have undoubtedly boosted the Conservatives - indeed since a Survation at the end of April, the Conservatives have been above 40% in every poll but that may end fairly soon and as the impact of vaccination eases, we'll see the two main parties coalesce in the high 30s.

To provide some balance for @squareroot2, it's also worth noting Labour hasn't been above 40% in a poll since January.
  • Options

It is the Andy Robertson thing, we signed him in July 2017 and he hardly played until December when Moreno picked up an injury.

Klopp said it was because Robbo wasn't ready to play under Klopp's system, all the work was done on the training pitch.

Similar to Fabinho, signed him in May 2018 and he didn't really start playing for Liverpool properly until November 2018 as he too needed to get used to the Klopp/Liverpool style.

Same is said about Ben Davies.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I must say that the hysterical demands for a Bank Holiday are beginning to shift me from not giving a damn to hoping for a win for Italy.
  • Options

That was a Klopp thing, he wanted Konate then but when we drew RB Leipzig it wasn't going to happen in January.

Remember when the Van Dijk deal collapsed back in the summer of 2017 Klopp said he wasn't going to waste the money for the sake of it, that he'd rather wait for Van Dijk or someone who he wants and meets his profile.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    NL news:

Stephen Bruton
    @bruts80
    ·
    28m
    Cases here have gone from 600 last Friday to 7.000 today! Nearly all in the young. They’ve opened up everything, nightclubs etc and it’s backfired big time! So it’s not just the UK with a brainless government
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    justin124 said:

I must say that the hysterical demands for a Bank Holiday are beginning to shift me from not giving a damn to hoping for a win for Italy.

Trouble is then everyone will be and post they are "gutted" and the media will act as though it was the Fall of Singapore
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Its absolutely delusional. Anyone suggesting it couldn't possibly have any real world business experience. There's not a chance in hell a bank holiday can be organised in 10 hours notice.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    STAR: Italy: An apology #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1413595392428609543

Pizza on pineapple story!!!!

They must read PB surely?

• Options

justin124 said:

Trouble is then everyone will be and post they are "gutted" and the media will act as though it was the Fall of Singapore
    But only a minority - admittedly a large one - watched the England v Denmark game.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Is Van Dyke going to be back for the new season?

Yes and no.

He'll play some matches but he won't be up to match speed until probably October.

Same for Matip and Gomez.

I think that is why we've got 9 central defenders on our books all waiting to find out who partners the Bolton Baresi, Nat Phillips, who should be first choice for Liverpool.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

It is the Andy Robertson thing, we signed him in July 2017 and he hardly played until December when Moreno picked up an injury.

Klopp said it was because Robbo wasn't ready to play under Klopp's system, all the work was done on the training pitch.

Similar to Fabinho, signed him in May 2018 and he didn't really start playing for Liverpool properly until November 2018 as he too needed to get used to the Klopp/Liverpool style.

Same is said about Ben Davies.
    But he was bought when Liverpool were so short of central defenders that Mark Lawrenson was lacing up his boots....he isn't very young player and bought mid season.

Seems odd choice and odd timing.

Robertson for instance was young, had played EPL and highly regarded if a bit raw.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    STAR: Italy: An apology #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1413595392428609543

Pizza on pineapple story!!!!

They must read PB surely?

No, it is because of this.

From the Italy semi final at Wembley, here's an Italian fan.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I want Italy to win for a number of reasons ,biggest is that I think England dived their way into the final .I always liked the England sides of the past for being less divers than others .Now we cheat better than the Italians.
  • Options

That was a Klopp thing, he wanted Konate then but when we drew RB Leipzig it wasn't going to happen in January.

Remember when the Van Dijk deal collapsed back in the summer of 2017 Klopp said he wasn't going to waste the money for the sake of it, that he'd rather wait for Van Dijk or someone who he wants and meets his profile.
    Makes sense and of course he got his man in the end, just too late for last season.

Amusing to think then that had it not been for drawing RB Leipzig we might have retained the League. A top class defender could have avoided that awful spell.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,719

I want Italy to win for a number of reasons ,biggest is that I think England dived their way into the final .I always liked the England sides of the past for being less divers than others .Now we cheat better than the Italians.

Utterly stupid post.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Its absolutely delusional. Anyone suggesting it couldn't possibly have any real world business experience. There's not a chance in hell a bank holiday can be organised in 10 hours notice.
    It would be an appalling precedent too - leading to pressure on future Governments whenever GB or one of its components triumphed in a sports competition - eg the Rugby World Cup - Cricket World Cup etc. There was no Bank Holiday granted in July 1966 in respect of a much more meaningful event.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

But only a minority - admittedly a large one - watched the England v Denmark game.
    Quite - the reaction will be far overblown whatever the result - they will be called heroes (which clearly they are not) or they will be "gutted" (which clearly they will not be)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747
    "Post Office
    @PostOffice

Access to cash is rapidly disappearing, with over 4,200 bank branches closing since 2015. We need to protect the ability to access cash for those who need it mostBanknote with pound sign

#SaveOurCash"

https://twitter.com/PostOffice/status/1413461177699549186
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

And why wouldn't she?

Good for you Ursula.

"hatred of Italy"

Is there such a thing?
    I've met a lot of people with very bad things to say about Italy. They were all Italian.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723

justin124 said:

The BH is planned for the 19th, supposedly, so 7 days notice for my admin staff to cancel the clinics.
  • Options
    Russia reports 25,766 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase since January 2, and 726 new deaths
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited July 2021
    Government now moving towards requiring Covid passports for entry to pubs and clubs and restaurants to boost vaccination rates amongst the young and masks also likely to still be required on public transport as 'Freedom Day' on July 19th comes with clear caveats, especially for the non vaccinated given only the double vaccinated can travel quarantine free too to amber list nations

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1413599764013277185?s=20

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1413571760167993346?s=20
  • Options
    edited July 2021

justin124 said:

AIUI Johnson had a chance to quash the rumour and, not surprisingly, flunked it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12351740/euro-2020-prime-minister-boris-johnson-tight-lipped-on-calls-for-emergency-bank-holiday-should-england-win-final
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    You also know a significant section of the English fans will embarrass the country by booing the Italian anthem .There is nothing for me to want an England win in football. Football dominates too much other sports in any case ,nearly all of which are played in a more sporting spirit than football
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

It would be an appalling precedent too - leading to pressure on future Governments whenever GB or one of its components triumphed in a sports competition - eg the Rugby World Cup - Cricket World Cup etc. There was no Bank Holiday granted in July 1966 in respect of a much more meaningful event.
    If it goes ahead, July 19 might be a bit of an unofficial bank holiday
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    HYUFD said:

Government now moving towards requiring Covid passports for entry to pubs and clubs and restaurants to boost vaccination rates amongst the young and masks also likely to still be required on public transport as 'Freedom Day' on July 19th comes with clear caveats, especially for the non vaccinated given only the double vaccinated can travel quarantine free too to amber list nations

Covid passports from the autumn....face palm...that will do the trick...

The mask wearing on public transport is so bleeding obvious.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

justin124 said:

The BH is planned for the 19th, supposedly, so 7 days notice for my admin staff to cancel the clinics.
    It's totally f*cking ridiculous.

I want England to win as much as anyone but winning the Euros does not merit a Bank Holiday.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Eid ul Adha begins on that day as well, of course.
  • Options
    Shaun Lintern
    @ShaunLintern
    ·
    2h
    "Borderline meltdown": NHS emergency services brace for soaring demand this weekend

Shaun Lintern
    @ShaunLintern
    ·
    2h
    There are about 4 stories in 1 here:
    Police cars revolving light Ambulance trusts fear 999 call spikes for Euros final
    Police cars revolving light NHS England quietly axed Covid telephone service as cases rising
    Police cars revolving light Patients queuing out the door at A&E, with 20 hr wait for a bed
    Police cars revolving light Callers to Scotland's NHS24 up 60% on last yr
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Interesting if true.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Like face masks have really stopped the recent rise in cases .People forget they were not even mandatory in the first lockdown . They just make life miserable .
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited July 2021
    Starmer says he would campaign for Northern Ireland to stay in the UK in any future border poll and he does not believe a United Ireland is in sight as he makes a clear pitch for DUP support in any hung parliament after the next general election.
    https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1413555344924622848?s=20

Had Corbyn not backed a United Ireland the DUP could have backed him over May in 2017 to become PM
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Eid ul Adha begins on that day as well, of course.
    Well the 20th will be the proper Eid, as the new moon gets sighted on the 19th.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

Foxy said:

justin124 said:

It's totally f*cking ridiculous.

I want England to win as much as anyone but winning the Euros does not merit a Bank Holiday.
    It's Freedom Day. Half the country will be pissed anyway.
  • Options

NL news:

Stephen Bruton
    @bruts80
    ·
    28m
    Cases here have gone from 600 last Friday to 7.000 today! Nearly all in the young. They’ve opened up everything, nightclubs etc and it’s backfired big time! So it’s not just the UK with a brainless government

I'll save one of the usual suspects jumping in here.

Unless there is a significant increase in the mortality rate among the very small number of doubly vaccinated who have been infected, it's the same as we are seeing in many other countries.

The virus is passing through the younger parts of the population, sometimes asymptomatically and generally without serious impact. There are still regrettably some deaths - I'm sure plenty of analysis is being done but I suspect these are primarily among the older unvaccinated. I would assume the majority were offered and opted not to take the vaccine - for those with compromised immune systems who cannot have the vaccine, I have every sympathy.

In Newham, first dosage is 55.1% and second dosage is 34.3%. As others have said, Newham is a "younger" area and it's likely high case levels earlier in the year have meant a larger number of adults are for the moment immune.

Anecdotally, Mrs Stodge's workplace is trying to get staff back 3-5 days per week from 19th July but two members of her team have refused and one has resigned. I suspect some companies trying to force staff back to offices may run into issues of retention - hybrid working is here to stay and it's far from unpopular.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Quite - the reaction will be far overblown whatever the result - they will be called heroes (which clearly they are not) or they will be "gutted" (which clearly they will not be)
    You know that 'gutted' means 'bitterly disappointed or upset', not disembowelled, in that context?
  • Options
    Just been told a local pub has had to close and cancel all bookings for this weekend, for the final, because a senior member of staff has tested positive and so now all the staff have to isolate and the pub has to close.

That frigging sucks. People have put their hearts and souls into their businesses and been through a nightmare and now they're going to lose thousands in trade this weekend. This madness needs to end.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,515

justin124 said:

AIUI Johnson had a chance to quash the rumour and, not surprisingly, flunked it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12351740/euro-2020-prime-minister-boris-johnson-tight-lipped-on-calls-for-emergency-bank-holiday-should-england-win-final
    Of course BoJo didn't quash the rumours. That would mean being the boring responsible grownup.

And harmful effects on business or complete practical absurdity have never stopped BoJo doing what he wants before...
This discussion has been closed.