Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

At Batley and Spen Starmer’s LAB did something that the Tories haven’t managed since 2016… – politic

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    On Topic

Another great result for Lab. They managed to retain their position in the top 5

OK they were first previously and they did go from over 40% to 4.4% but i am sure Mike will manage to turn it into a total triumph in a future thread

@BritainElects

St Neots East (Huntingdonshire), council by-election result:

IND: 42.5% (+42.5)
    GRN: 33.4% (+33.4)
    LDEM: 11.6% (-15.9)
    CON: 8.0% (-24.0)
    LAB: 4.4% (-36.0)

Independent GAIN from Labour.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    HYUFD said:

Government now moving towards requiring Covid passports for entry to pubs and clubs and restaurants to boost vaccination rates amongst the young and masks also likely to still be required on public transport as 'Freedom Day' on July 19th comes with clear caveats, especially for the non vaccinated given only the double vaccinated can travel quarantine free too to amber list nations

How are the "Covid passports" to be enforced?

Is my cafe in the Barking Road going to insist on checking everyone? Completely and stupefyingly daft even by the standards of the Government you so loyally support.

Masks on public transport? Fine - I'll wear one if it's the law but again how and will this be enforced? You can't on the one hand argue for personal responsibility (echoes of one of your greatest leaders) and then start talking about petty unenforceable rules and regulations.

For a Party that talks about "freedom" and "individual responsibility", the modern Conservative Party seems in love with the "nanny State" (makes a change from the nanny I suppose).
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273

Foxy said:

justin124 said:

I must say that the hysterical demands for a Bank Holiday are beginning to shift me from not giving a damn to hoping for a win for Italy.

Its absolutely delusional. Anyone suggesting it couldn't possibly have any real world business experience. There's not a chance in hell a bank holiday can be organised in 10 hours notice.
    The BH is planned for the 19th, supposedly, so 7 days notice for my admin staff to cancel the clinics.
    It's totally f*cking ridiculous.

I want England to win as much as anyone but winning the Euros does not merit a Bank Holiday.
    It's Freedom Day. Half the country will be pissed anyway.
    Or is it? Johnson has yet to make the actual decision, which is promised for the 12th. Given that he sees nothing in the data that warrants changing his view that we fully reopen and that he is not wonky shopping trolley, I can't help feeling a decision not to go ahead on 19th will be slipped in whilst we all have hangovers.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,719

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I must say that the hysterical demands for a Bank Holiday are beginning to shift me from not giving a damn to hoping for a win for Italy.

Its absolutely delusional. Anyone suggesting it couldn't possibly have any real world business experience. There's not a chance in hell a bank holiday can be organised in 10 hours notice.
    It would be an appalling precedent too - leading to pressure on future Governments whenever GB or one of its components triumphed in a sports competition - eg the Rugby World Cup - Cricket World Cup etc. There was no Bank Holiday granted in July 1966 in respect of a much more meaningful event.
    If it goes ahead, July 19 might be a bit of an unofficial bank holiday
    Eid ul Adha begins on that day as well, of course.
    Well the 20th will be the proper Eid, as the new moon gets sighted on the 19th.
    You've confused me there - new moon is tomorrow. What am I missing?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Government now moving towards requiring Covid passports for entry to pubs and clubs and restaurants to boost vaccination rates amongst the young and masks also likely to still be required on public transport as 'Freedom Day' on July 19th comes with clear caveats, especially for the non vaccinated given only the double vaccinated can travel quarantine free too to amber list nations

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1413599764013277185?s=20

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1413571760167993346?s=20

Covid passports from the autumn....face palm...that will do the trick...

The mask wearing on public transport is so bleeding obvious.

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    18m
    No chance our industry will accept EVER.
    Just for your guide
    @GOVUK

We would fight you in the Courts, by non compliance and any other means we can.

Cc
    @alanvibe
    #OpenForAll
    #NoVaccinePassportsAnywhere
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

justin124 said:

AIUI Johnson had a chance to quash the rumour and, not surprisingly, flunked it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12351740/euro-2020-prime-minister-boris-johnson-tight-lipped-on-calls-for-emergency-bank-holiday-should-england-win-final
    It was an absolutely inane suggestion and he laughed it off and said he didn't want to tempt fate, which is a polite way to say no. That should have been the end of the issue, but then Sky wanted to play it up.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352

Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Carnyx said:

Worse than that. He's an actual racist, on travellers, and I suspect on other matters: refusing to watch England because of "the knee" is pathetic and hints that he has issues. The Tories would do well to get rid of him.
    I was genuinely shocked that the Tories let him be a candidate.

He was a Labour party member, and also Gloria De Piero's office manager until quite recently.
    Didn't he also have a bit of an issue relating to antisemitism?
    Mr Ross D. MP also has been reported as having issues with Travellers (I don't know enoughj about the matter to comment myself one way or another):

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/douglas-ross-and-the-war-on-scotlands-travellers/
    Hatred of pikeys seems to be the acceptable racism. We had a horrible run in over travellers sites which the council legally had to look at using set criteria, and the local indies and town council were all "we don't want their sort here"
    Almost as acceptable as racism against "chavvy" WWC which you see from many on the left.
    and red heads, and short people.
    I saw somebody the other day with hair the colour of Irn-Bru. I had to try my hardest not to stare.
    I used to have hair that colour, very nearly. I'm tempted to wonder why you have a problem with that?
    Same for my ex wife.

I have a huge weakness for gingers.

A ginger could persuade me to eat a pizza with pineapple on it.
    Did she leave you because of your hatred of pineapple on pizza? :lol:
  • Options
    Another excellent result for Lab

Top 2 finish is amazing considering everything.

OK they lost the seat to the Tories but hey a 12% swing from LAB to Con is pretty good in current circumstances and will almost certainly lead to PM SKS in 2023/4

@BritainElects
    ·
    12h
    Mark Hall (Harlow), council by-election result:

CON: 46.4% (+23.2)
    LAB: 41.7% (-0.9)
    GRN: 7.3% (+7.3)
    LDEM: 4.6% (-5.0)

Conservative GAIN from Labour.
  • Options
    I see covid passports for pubs otherwise known as the national id tracking system are back.

It's like a f*cking zombie that just will not die. Always coming back just when you thought it was down.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

It would be an appalling precedent too - leading to pressure on future Governments whenever GB or one of its components triumphed in a sports competition - eg the Rugby World Cup - Cricket World Cup etc. There was no Bank Holiday granted in July 1966 in respect of a much more meaningful event.
    It is tomorrow: https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/new-moon.html
  • Options

justin124 said:

AIUI Johnson had a chance to quash the rumour and, not surprisingly, flunked it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12351740/euro-2020-prime-minister-boris-johnson-tight-lipped-on-calls-for-emergency-bank-holiday-should-england-win-final
    It was an absolutely inane suggestion and he laughed it off and said he didn't want to tempt fate, which is a polite way to say no. That should have been the end of the issue, but then Sky wanted to play it up.
    He should have just said "No".
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    Masks on public transport seems a no-brainer. Getting rid never made much sense to me.
    Would hurt the economy
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Yeah, brain fart.

New moon tomorrow, Dhul Hijjah on the 11th,

Day of Arafah is Monday 19th and Eid Al-Adha will be on Tuesday 20th.

These things get determined by the new moon.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Is my cafe in the Barking Road going to insist on checking everyone? Completely and stupefyingly daft even by the standards of the Government you so loyally support.

Masks on public transport? Fine - I'll wear one if it's the law but again how and will this be enforced? You can't on the one hand argue for personal responsibility (echoes of one of your greatest leaders) and then start talking about petty unenforceable rules and regulations.

For a Party that talks about "freedom" and "individual responsibility", the modern Conservative Party seems in love with the "nanny State" (makes a change from the nanny I suppose).
    Under the same Covid regulations the police use to enforce current restrictions
  • Options

I see covid passports for pubs otherwise known as the national id tracking system are back.

It's like a f*cking zombie that just will not die. Always coming back just when you thought it was down.

Fine by me - I'd be much happier going into a crowded pub if I was confident everyone was vaccinated. Can't see the problem myself.
  • Options

justin124 said:

And then people would have said he was heartless. Some people just want to score points.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited July 2021

Just been told a local pub has had to close and cancel all bookings for this weekend, for the final, because a senior member of staff has tested positive and so now all the staff have to isolate and the pub has to close.

That frigging sucks. People have put their hearts and souls into their businesses and been through a nightmare and now they're going to lose thousands in trade this weekend. This madness needs to end.

Covid passports for the double vaccinated rather than track and trace and isolation for those in contact with an infected person seems to be the way ahead from July 19th if tonight's news is true.

So July 19th effectively becomes Freedom Day for the double vaccinated, if you are not vaccinated you could be refused entry to a club, pub or restaurant and cannot travel abroad without quarantine
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    18m
    Just for your guide
    @GOVUK

Cc
    @alanvibe
    #OpenForAll
    Does he speak for the whole industry?
  • Options
    Decent result for Lab.

Not a single anti Lab tactical vote.

SKS plan to detoxify LAB clearly on target

@BritainElects
    ·
    12h
    Ardingly and Balcombe (Mid Sussex), council by-election result:

GRN: 36.9% (+13.6)
    CON: 33.4% (-5.6)
    LDEM: 27.8% (+1.0)
    IND: 1.9% (+1.9)

Green GAIN from Conservative.

No Lab (-10.9) as prev.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Under the same Covid regulations the police use to enforce current restrictions

This is where we differ.

You clearly live in some fantasy world where there are thousands of Police with nothing better to do than ensure Covid restrictions on mask wearing in shops and on public transport are properly and rigorously enforced and the huge amount of fines being voluntarily paid by those found in breach are already reducing the national deficit and debt.

I live in the real world....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Yeah, brain fart.

New moon tomorrow, Dhul Hijjah on the 11th,

Day of Arafah is Monday 19th and Eid Al-Adha will be on Tuesday 20th.

These things get determined by the new moon.
    Eid-bah-Gum!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2021

Fine by me - I'd be much happier going into a crowded pub if I was confident everyone was vaccinated. Can't see the problem myself.
    By the time this comes in, 90% of adults will be. The 10% who aren't, either can't or won't..the won't will I am sure then try and fake their way in.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Honestly, I wonder whether a lot of owner/managers in hospitality wont just throw the towel in.

They are just the collateral damage for this government's determination (or at least Gove's) to get a digital id card slipped through.

Hopefully, Steve Baker and co will kill this talk off once again. As I say it's like trying to kill a zombie.

Of course we can rely on Starmer to rally his troops to support whatever bonkers scheme this lot come up with.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360
    SKS on the telly saying that the NHS app for pinging shouldn't be changed. Ie should remain pinging hundreds of thousands of people and telling them to self isolate for 10 days.

He really hasn't caught the mood of the nation, has he.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited July 2021

Won't work.

Industry won't support it.

Only the stupid or frit think covid passports are either necessary or a good idea.

Edit to add: it doesn't have the numbers in Parliament.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    TOPPING said:

SKS on the telly saying that the NHS app for pinging shouldn't be changed. Ie should remain pinging hundreds of thousands of people and telling them to self isolate for 10 days.

While he is also moaning about 100,000s of peope getting pinged.....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    TOPPING said:

Well that Ipsos MORI poll says he has.
  • Options

justin124 said:

And then people would have said he was heartless. Some people just want to score points.
    He's just a man who can't say no. He's not a leader he's a spineless joker.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    TOPPING said:

Delusional. He was onto something on Wednesday saying this is an issue, and now he's objecting to them addressing the issue he brought up on Wednesday instead of claiming credit in having got the government to move.

Snatching defeat from jaws of a rare victory.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Trouble is then everyone will be and post they are "gutted" and the media will act as though it was the Fall of Singapore
    But only a minority - admittedly a large one - watched the England v Denmark game.
    Quite - the reaction will be far overblown whatever the result - they will be called heroes (which clearly they are not) or they will be "gutted" (which clearly they will not be)
    I don't think many actual heroes object to sports stars getting that label in a casual sense. Indeed, lots of people or groups are labelled as 'heroes' very casually. Actual heroes probably do it.

And of course the reaction will be overblown - it's sport, the very concept of giving such wealth and acclaim for the ability to kick a ball real well, and celebrating it, is overblown.

But that's life and society, it's usually all in good fun - even casual fans or those not very interested will get swept up in things. Who usually gives a crap about the 400m hurdles outside the Olympics? Yet people still cheer and why shouldn't they?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

According to this polling he seems to have done, yes.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/07/08/with-11-days-until-freedom-day-ipsos-finds-a-significant-proportion-backing-permanent-controls/
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Trouble is then everyone will be and post they are "gutted" and the media will act as though it was the Fall of Singapore
    But only a minority - admittedly a large one - watched the England v Denmark game.
    Quite - the reaction will be far overblown whatever the result - they will be called heroes (which clearly they are not) or they will be "gutted" (which clearly they will not be)
    You know that 'gutted' means 'bitterly disappointed or upset', not disembowelled, in that context?
    I wish I'd know that before I began the first thrust of my seppuku.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    edited July 2021

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I feel a bit for people not into the football. If we win it will be massive. Just basically imagine how big and OTT it could possibly be and then double that.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Fair enough. He is following rather than leading.

And yes. The nation, a large percentage of which wants nightclubs closed forever, might like that.

Fuck them.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    Tres said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

It’s not just us that have noticed this *thing*

‘When are we going to get a longread on the social media radicalisation of FBPE people? It's very sad to watch’

‘ > often educated professionals
    > 10k follows
    > 11k followers
    > Bio an alphabet soup of acronyms
    > Can't watch the football because they think they live in a Hitlerite regime

They haven't quite got to paedo-deep-state conspiracy but the distinction with Qboomers isn't massive!’

https://twitter.com/eggrollshogun/status/1413129834356563972?s=21

Wasn't it you at the beginning of the tournament dissing the England team, and clutching at your pearls over taking the knee?
    Yup, a pound shop Laurence Fox.
    And who was it who assured us the analysts have proven Rice couldn’t possibly play as well as he has done? Anyone wish to put their hands up?
    I don't think analysts ever said he couldn't play "well", it is that he is limited and that the team use him a particular way because of his limitations. Which is exactly what they have done.

He isn't allowed to make expansive passes, he is told he must slow its right down, because they aren't confident that he won't make a mistake if he tries to work at pace.
    It was you was it? Oh Francis. What is posted on PB lives for ever. Shall we go back and have a look?
    Nah, stuff from the pre Vanilla days is lost. Quite handily for certain posters.
    It's not very lost - random comment thread from 2009 for you 😂

https://web.archive.org/web/20090117063813/http://politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2009/01/16/will-comres-provide-tables-like-this/#comments

• Options

justin124 said:

You've got a child... You know that sometimes, a parent has to say "no". It makes you the baddie, it makes them feel bad, it makes you feel bad, but you have to say "no". Because anything else will be heard as "maybe, and enough weedling will turn that into a 'yes'".

But BoJo can't say "no". He wants the person listening to him to feel good. And that's what makes him such a potent election winner.

But that also makes him terrible at a key part of his job.
    Speaking to a child, yes. Children need to hear the word no.

Growns up should be different. Grown ups should be able to be let down gently and understand a polite no.

We shouldn't be demanding the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom speaks to us like we're little children.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

justin124 said:

You've got a child... You know that sometimes, a parent has to say "no". It makes you the baddie, it makes them feel bad, it makes you feel bad, but you have to say "no". Because anything else will be heard as "maybe, and enough weedling will turn that into a 'yes'".

But BoJo can't say "no". He wants the person listening to him to feel good. And that's what makes him such a potent election winner.

Spot on.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    18m
    Just for your guide
    @GOVUK

Cc
    @alanvibe
    #OpenForAll
    Does he speak for the whole industry?
    FIghting in the courts isn't that much of a threat anyway, not automatically anyway - total guess, but I'd bet the government usually win such challenges (if you include ones that don't even get past the first hurdle particularly.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Won't work.

Only the stupid or frit think covid passports are either necessary or a good idea.

I'm not so sure. Liberals against. Thank God. Steve Baker, Brady and chums - muster maybe 20 or 30 once the arm twisting begins? But Starmer will say he's having a review, then he's against and then the day before the vote decide he's in favour and whip his lot.

Johnson cruises home with only about 60 against?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,458
    TOPPING said:

I caught that. Wasn't good - he also appeared to, unprompted, put down people deleting the app, which is an odd approach. Some nonsense about taking the battery out of the smoke alarm too.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

You know that 'gutted' means 'bitterly disappointed or upset', not disembowelled, in that context?
    Finding out now must be hard to stomach.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    HYUFD said:

Just been told a local pub has had to close and cancel all bookings for this weekend, for the final, because a senior member of staff has tested positive and so now all the staff have to isolate and the pub has to close.

That frigging sucks. People have put their hearts and souls into their businesses and been through a nightmare and now they're going to lose thousands in trade this weekend. This madness needs to end.

Covid passports for the double vaccinated rather than track and trace and isolation for those in contact with an infected person seems to be the way ahead from July 19th if tonight's news is true.

So July 19th effectively becomes Freedom Day for the double vaccinated, if you are not vaccinated you could be refused entry to a club, pub or restaurant and cannot travel abroad without quarantine
    Very sensible, except it's too late. We should have been doing that before things started getting out of control. That way venues could have safely opened earlier, to everyone's benefit

The government should have been carefully laying the messaging groundwork for this for months, as well as making practical preparations. They've done neither. It will therefore be a disaster.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

justin124 said:

Growns up should be different. Grown ups should be able to be let down gently and understand a polite no.

We shouldn't be demanding the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom speaks to us like we're little children.
    Hmm, I don't really buy that. Sometimes adults very much need to be let down in an ungentle fashion too. Adults are very capable of deliberately not understanding a no unless told firmly. Better at it than children, in fact, as adults are craftier.

I don't think that speaks to this particular issue around the bank holiday, I think it is a stupid idea but I don't think it matters that much if he is not in super serious mode in response, but I think your analogy is crap.

And I know me some crap analogies.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

I caught that. Wasn't good - he also appeared to, unprompted, put down people deleting the app, which is an odd approach. Some nonsense about taking the battery out of the smoke alarm too.
    He has nowhere to go but as has been pointed out he can look at the polls and try to appeal to those who have said they are pro-lockdown. Whether they are or not who knows.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Won't work.

I'm sure we had posters on hear last March saying masks won't work, industry won't support it.

Personally, I have been looking forward to 'Freedom Day' but in the last week I have been surprised that virtually all my friends and contacts are very cautious about opening up.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,745

This is fantastic

Wow - stunning catch

BBC News - England v India: Harleen Deol makes stunning catch to dismiss Amy Jones
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/57785924

Great catch, although it was very close indeed as to whether she was touching the ground before she jumped up in order to take the catch for the second time. I wonder whether the third umpire checked it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Hmm, I don't really buy that. Sometimes adults very much need to be let down in an ungentle fashion too. Adults are very capable of deliberately not understanding a no unless told firmly. Better at it than children, in fact, as adults are craftier.

I don't think that speaks to this particular issue around the bank holiday, I think it is a stupid idea but I don't think it matters that much if he is not in super serious mode in response, but I think your analogy is crap.

It wasn't my analogy, it was Stuart's.

There is not a frigging chance in hell of Monday being a Bank Holiday. The PM laughing it off, saying he doesn't want to tempt fate, should to anyone sane be clearly the end of the matter.

The notion that at 11:15pm on a Sunday night the Prime Minister is going to call the Queen and make an executive decision that the Monday starting 45 minutes later is a Bank Holiday . . . nobody sane is going to think that.

Anyone claiming he kept it open was being deliberately obtuse. Its pathetic. The suggestion of a Bank Holiday with no notice is pathetic and the idea the PM kept it open with that reply? Give me a break.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723
    TOPPING said:

Polling seems a lot more supportive than the thirsty mask phobes of PB.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Won't work.

I'm sure we had posters on hear last March saying masks won't work, industry won't support it.

Personally, I have been looking forward to 'Freedom Day' but in the last week I have been surprised that virtually all my friends and contacts are very cautious about opening up.

Honestly, I can see it being pulled at the last moment.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Very sensible, except it's too late. We should have been doing that before things started getting out of control. That way venues could have safely opened earlier, to everyone's benefit

The government should have been carefully laying the messaging groundwork for this for months, as well as making practical preparations. They've done neither. It will therefore be a disaster.
    It's a bit baffling considering we were expected to open up sooner, yet they seem almost caught unawares.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

This is fantastic

Wow - stunning catch

BBC News - England v India: Harleen Deol makes stunning catch to dismiss Amy Jones

Great catch, although it was very close indeed as to whether she was touching the ground before she jumped up in order to take the catch for the second time. I wonder whether the third umpire checked it.
    Pretty incredible if she *wasn't* touching the ground before she jumped up ;-)
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Won't work.

Three reasons why it won't work:

1) Opportunity cost - it prevents the spur of the moment drink, visit to a club etc - this is where entertainment makes money

2) Practicalities - it is impossible to enforce, and laws that invite breach should not enter on to our statute books. I'm not sure if anyone here has participated in the covid event trials? Well I have. I haven't had both jabs yet, so I had to do a LFT. Well, I did one. And then I entered the result. Entering the result is in no way connected to the test. Getting a covid pass involves nothing more than saying you've had a negative test result. It is absolutely farcical.

3) The frit aren't going to be going out anyway. They'll be scared of their own shadow for months, if not years. The government need to lead, not follow a load of ignorant, uninformed people incapable of understanding that risk/reward is key to life itself.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

PB not totally representative?! Who'da thunk it, eh?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    edited July 2021

Not anti-English....no siree!

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    STAR: Italy: An apology #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1413595392428609543

Pizza on pineapple story!!!!

They must read PB surely?

No, it is because of this.

From the Italy semi final at Wembley, here's an Italian fan.

I had pineapple on my pizza in Pisa. And very nice it was too!
  • Options

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Except you utilised it, putting your own take on it, so it doesn't matter who started it. The statement that 'Growns up should be different. Grown ups should be able to be let down gently and understand a polite no' is pretty silly, in my opinion.

Grown ups can be among the most childish people out there. And sometimes we have to be treated similarly. 'Should' doesn't come into it, we take people as they are not as we wish them to be.

• Options

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

There is not a frigging chance in hell of Monday being a Bank Holiday. The PM laughing it off, saying he doesn't want to tempt fate, should to anyone sane be clearly the end of the matter.

The notion that at 11:15pm on a Sunday night the Prime Minister is going to call the Queen and make an executive decision that the Monday starting 45 minutes later is a Bank Holiday . . . nobody sane is going to think that.

Anyone claiming he kept it open was being deliberately obtuse. Its pathetic. The suggestion of a Bank Holiday with no notice is pathetic and the idea the PM kept it open with that reply? Give me a break.
    Sounds like you need a break!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It's a bit baffling considering we were expected to open up sooner, yet they seem almost caught unawares.
    It's not really baffling. Boris is an utter incompetent who never looks more than half a step ahead, and so keeps having to scramble to get out of holes.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

There is rather a lot of wind — a great heaving blast of hot air as Sturgeon relays familiar cant about every death being a tragedy and the pains and impositions of calling the shots. We know all this — not least because she keeps repeating it — but someone has told the First Minister this makes her sound relatable or empathetic and so we get the pained grimaces and the grave tone of voice. She’s not going to get independence any time soon but she must be in the running for a BAFTA.

https://stephendaisley.substack.com/p/sturgeon-meets-her-personality-cult

What an absolute shit bag he is.
    Nevertheless he knows exactly what his market wants to hear. A pity for him so few of them live in Scotland.
    He did change his tone very dramatically some years back. I can't recall exactly when, or if this coincided with a change of employer. But it was very noticeable. Did Alex Salmond pish in his cappucino or something?
    He realised there was more money in being an oppressed right winger than being a faux centrist.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Polling is useless on issues like this.

People want others to isolate if pinged, but themselves, no sireeee
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Data not dates they said, then ignored the data. At least until the numbers mushroomed 10 fold in 6 weeks.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    Andy_JS said:

This is fantastic

Wow - stunning catch

I think there's an argument that she was sufficiently in control of the ball for the first catch to count. If she had caught it and thrown it up, she would have had it for less time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Data not dates they said, then ignored the data. At least until the numbers mushroomed 10 fold in 6 weeks.
    The case data was never a data point in any of the four tests.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It's not really baffling. Boris is an utter incompetent who never looks more than half a step ahead, and so keeps having to scramble to get out of holes.
    Can he survive yet another u-turn and lockdown?

He's been teflon so far as the public largely laughs along or gives him the benefit. But eventually that road runs out.
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis

Can't stand the idea myself, but that's purely because I dislike Pineapple - for me one of the great things about Pizza is how versatile it is and how you can put anything you want on it whilst it still being very identifiably a Pizza and not a new thing.

If people want a traditional style pizza they can find somewhere who will give it to them. Meanwhile, I'll celebrate the Dominoes flyer through my door today telling me the Double Decadence base (two bases with cheese and herb sauce between them) is back.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

This is fantastic

Wow - stunning catch

I think there's an argument that she was sufficiently in control of the ball for the first catch to count. If she had caught it and thrown it up, she would have had it for less time.
    No because she wasn't stable on the ground and able to stay within the ropes, so she and therefore the ball wasn't under control.

Throw it up, fall over the fence and not re-catch it and its never going to be considered out.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Have hospitalisations and deaths mushroomed likewise?

I appreciate that as an NHS guy you would rather no patients and no illness but that suggests you are in the wrong job.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, but even in his Cabinet you'd hope Ministers (or rather staff) would have put together plans which could be thrown together once the scramble determines an outcome.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

He's been teflon so far as the public largely laughs along or gives him the benefit. But eventually that road runs out.
    I wonder how bad it would have to get before he buckled?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Won't work.

1) Opportunity cost - it prevents the spur of the moment drink, visit to a club etc - this is where entertainment makes money

2) Practicalities - it is impossible to enforce, and laws that invite breach should not enter on to our statute books. I'm not sure if anyone here has participated in the covid event trials? Well I have. I haven't had both jabs yet, so I had to do a LFT. Well, I did one. And then I entered the result. Entering the result is in no way connected to the test. Getting a covid pass involves nothing more than saying you've had a negative test result. It is absolutely farcical.

3) The frit aren't going to be going out anyway. They'll be scared of their own shadow for months, if not years. The government need to lead, not follow a load of ignorant, uninformed people incapable of understanding that risk/reward is key to life itself.
    1) No it doesn't. I'm wheeling past the pub, I fancy a pint, I show my NHS vaccine cert (it's on my phone), I'm in. What's the issue?

2) Depends on the implementation obv. What are 'laws that invite breach'? Seat belt laws? Speeding laws?

3) The government need to build confidence. Masks did that. Border controls did that but weren't implemented fast or fully enough. Covid vaccine checks could do that too.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190

Will The National rue the day…
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It is just flipping unbelievable. He is a mixture of Harry Houdini and a greased piglet. He is barely human in his elusiveness. Nailing Boris is like trying to pin jelly to a wall.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,515

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

But if that's the message BoJo wanted to convey, he did it really badly. He could have pointed out that there wasn't a Bank Holiday in 1966. That other countries manage without a public holiday when they win. Gently but firmly closing the door.

By saying "Don't want to tempt fate" he left the door ajar. And given that the idea is obviously stupid, that either means that BoJo is a worse communicator than most parents and teachers, or he simply can't say no.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis

Pizza is foreign food in Pisa, what do they know.

Pizza should have little fishes on, and no they do not go with pineapple.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    Alistair said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

There is rather a lot of wind — a great heaving blast of hot air as Sturgeon relays familiar cant about every death being a tragedy and the pains and impositions of calling the shots. We know all this — not least because she keeps repeating it — but someone has told the First Minister this makes her sound relatable or empathetic and so we get the pained grimaces and the grave tone of voice. She’s not going to get independence any time soon but she must be in the running for a BAFTA.

https://stephendaisley.substack.com/p/sturgeon-meets-her-personality-cult

What an absolute shit bag he is.
    Nevertheless he knows exactly what his market wants to hear. A pity for him so few of them live in Scotland.
    He did change his tone very dramatically some years back. I can't recall exactly when, or if this coincided with a change of employer. But it was very noticeable. Did Alex Salmond pish in his cappucino or something?
    He realised there was more money in being an oppressed right winger than being a faux centrist.
    It’s come back to me that he and Wings had some weird mutual respect thing going on. It suddenly makes a lot more sense..
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Polling is useless on issues like this.

People want others to isolate if pinged, but themselves, no sireeee
    That's the question - hasn't there been some evidence many people who were asked to self-isolate from the Test & Trace App have just ignored it?

As you say, people are quite prepared to obey the law - and want others to obey the law - until it affects them.

You could argue it's the same thing we see on housing - everyone supports more housing until you're facing a 20-storey block of flats on the brownfield site down the road.

The route for Labour in 2024 (as it was for Blair in 1997) is to promise to do nothing much at all but do what is currently being done better than the Conservatives.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

TOPPING said:

That was an ONLINE ONLY poll. You can argue about whether that skews questions like VI at the next election. You'd expect a skew if the question was Do you think people who complete online polling questionnaires are complete and utter wankers who deserve to die on spikes? The questions in the ipsos mori poll were closer to the latter than the former. So ignore, unless replicated in a non-internet poll.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I appreciate that as an NHS guy you would rather no patients and no illness but that suggests you are in the wrong job.
    That is a little abusive to say the least.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Hospitalisations and deaths are a lagging indicator.

When have I advocated continued lockdown?

I have just advocated keeping masks on public transport, essential shops and for businesses to decide what masks and other measures to take.

But if the government is going for the "let it rip" strategy then they need to hold their nerve, not buckle at the first whiff of trouble.
  • Options

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

But if that's the message BoJo wanted to convey, he did it really badly. He could have pointed out that there wasn't a Bank Holiday in 1966. That other countries manage without a public holiday when they win. Gently but firmly closing the door.

By saying "Don't want to tempt fate" he left the door ajar. And given that the idea is obviously stupid, that either means that BoJo is a worse communicator than most parents and teachers, or he simply can't say no.
    Or that Boris is speaking to adults and not toddlers.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    Presumably those who have been on furlough for the past 16 months aren't too fussed about an extra Bank Holiday.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Finding out now must be hard to stomach.
    It’s a nice twist though
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,515

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

But the paradox is that, by having to escape from so many scrapes, Johnson has become damn good at escaping from scrapes.

Had he put all that intelligence into avoiding the scrapes, would he have made it to the top?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

The proposed BH is on the 19th, or the Monday starting 7 days and 45 minutes later.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Hospitalisations and deaths are a lagging indicator.

When have I advocated continued lockdown?

I have just advocated keeping masks on public transport, essential shops and for businesses to decide what masks and other measures to take.

But if the government is going for the "let it rip" strategy then they need to hold their nerve, not buckle at the first whiff of trouble.
    Not a crazy view at all. First off they haven't buckled. Yet. Second of all mask wearing is damaging to many people. And as we asked ourselves last time round what makes an essential shop? Confusion would reign.

You said data not dates. Cases have skyrocketed. To repeat my question, have deaths and hospitalisations done so also?

You tell me are we now at the point of the numbers being the same as a bad flu year. Would you advocate masks at such a time?
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

But the paradox is that, by having to escape from so many scrapes, Johnson has become damn good at escaping from scrapes.

Had he put all that intelligence into avoiding the scrapes, would he have made it to the top?
    True, but not much consolation for the rest of us.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Is it abusive to say a doctor doesn't want any deaths or illness?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

In the replies:

"The perfect cover under which to get rid of English Votes for English Laws"
    It makes a change from more Union Flags than an Orange march, I must say.

But why scrub EVEL? And why is HYUFD so exercised about hacing an English Parliament all of a sudden?
    I really don't know what the Government is playing at when it comes to EVEL. It would be fascinating to hear a convincing explanation.

As for Unionists, they're at sixes and sevens over how to put right the mess that New Labour created. If you're not going either to reverse devolution outright or accept that dissolution is inevitable, then federalism is the other stable endpoint - in theory. Some embrace it, others think that an English Parliament would give rise to an English National Party in about five minutes flat and it would pull the whole house down.

Once is moved once again to conclude that Tam Dalyell was right. Devolution = death to the UK. It's just a matter of time.
    The best I can do is to assume that it has been scrubbed so that the likes of HYUFD can make up stories about being under the SNP jackboot in the next General Election, as indeed he has helpfully just done - completely ignoring the SNP principle of keeping well clear of truly English legislation.

The development of an English Pmt is not in itself illogical but the Tories have been hostile to any interference with what suited Charles I et al that their apparent enthusiasm is on a par with the DUP legalising gay dinosaur birthday cakes with "Lá Breithe Shona dhuit!" iced on them. So a healthyt dose of scepticism is called for.
    Carnyx , if you piled up the manure spouted on here about Scotland it would be higher than Mt Everest. The amount of supposed Scotch experts pontificating merde on here is unbelievable. HYFUD is not even the worst, he at least has some conviction.

Although, from memory HYUFD is the only Scotch expert with plans to invade and park tanks on your Ayrshire lawn.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,347
    TOPPING said:

He's caught the mood of leftie metropolitan social media.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Won't work.

1) No it doesn't. I'm wheeling past the pub, I fancy a pint, I show my NHS vaccine cert (it's on my phone), I'm in. What's the issue?

2) Depends on the implementation obv. What are 'laws that invite breach'? Seat belt laws? Speeding laws?

3) The government need to build confidence. Masks did that. Border controls did that but weren't implemented fast or fully enough. Covid vaccine checks could do that too.
    So in short you want ID cards and to be like Australia which has thousands of its own citizens unable to return home.

Got it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266

On Topic

Another great result for Lab. They managed to retain their position in the top 5

OK they were first previously and they did go from over 40% to 4.4% but i am sure Mike will manage to turn it into a total triumph in a future thread

@BritainElects

St Neots East (Huntingdonshire), council by-election result:

IND: 42.5% (+42.5)
    GRN: 33.4% (+33.4)
    LDEM: 11.6% (-15.9)
    CON: 8.0% (-24.0)
    LAB: 4.4% (-36.0)

Independent GAIN from Labour.

Come on BJO, fair play. We are only 3.6 points adrift of the Tories. One last heave!
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Will The National rue the day…
    Wittier than the front of the daily star.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Why has the government changed its mind on passports for pubs and restaurants? Just a couple of weeks ago they promised this wouldn't happen.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1413599225036820492
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Not abusive, merely misrepresenting my views.
  • Options

It is just flipping unbelievable. He is a mixture of Harry Houdini and a greased piglet. He is barely human in his elusiveness. Nailing Boris is like trying to pin jelly to a wall.

Not really - he has the not insignificant constituency of the frightened on his side. We see in the polls continued support for restrictions and that to this observer translates into support for the Government during this continuing "crisis".

In times of fear, people rally to the Government. Oddly enough, by ending the crisis, there's a political risk for Johnson - the short term popularity boost of the end of restrictions versus the longer term restoration of political normality at which point we can begin to assess the true competence of the Government (and Opposition).
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Not abusive, merely misrepresenting my views.
    You didn't answer my question. Data not dates. Hospitalisations and deaths. What are the data?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

This is fantastic

Wow - stunning catch

I think that's factually incorrect as far as the laws of cricket are concerned. If you're about to topple over the boundary rope, you can't claim to be fully in control of the ball.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

He's caught the mood of leftie metropolitan social media.
    Polling suggests that there is little SE class or regional divide over continuing measures, with a slight trend to older voters supporting.
This discussion has been closed.