Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

At Batley and Spen Starmer’s LAB did something that the Tories haven’t managed since 2016… – politic

12346»

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I must say that the hysterical demands for a Bank Holiday are beginning to shift me from not giving a damn to hoping for a win for Italy.

Its absolutely delusional. Anyone suggesting it couldn't possibly have any real world business experience. There's not a chance in hell a bank holiday can be organised in 10 hours notice.
    It would be an appalling precedent too - leading to pressure on future Governments whenever GB or one of its components triumphed in a sports competition - eg the Rugby World Cup - Cricket World Cup etc. There was no Bank Holiday granted in July 1966 in respect of a much more meaningful event.
    If it goes ahead, July 19 might be a bit of an unofficial bank holiday
    I feel a bit for people not into the football. If we win it will be massive. Just basically imagine how big and OTT it could possibly be and then double that.
    I disagree. Not even winning the World Cup in 1966 had that effect - never mind this relatively minor affair.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

There is another disconnect though too. Those who want all masks removed on public transport.
    But want everyone to assess risk in exactly the same way as they do. So we can get back to "normal".
    Remove the mask requirement on public transport and the economy will suffer. Because folk don't want to get sick just to do a bit of shopping or have a night out.

People shouldn't be getting sick because they've had the vaccine.
    Do you think that vaccines mean 100% people are completely incapable of catching a disease, or that everyone with a vaccine will experience no symptoms if they do catch that disease?

Because they seem to be damn good, but it's not magic.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

There is another disconnect though too. Those who want all masks removed on public transport.
    But want everyone to assess risk in exactly the same way as they do. So we can get back to "normal".
    Remove the mask requirement on public transport and the economy will suffer. Because folk don't want to get sick just to do a bit of shopping or have a night out.

But they are. The double vaccinated are getting sick all around me in the NE. They are testing positive by the dozen.
    They don't need hospital, but they aren't very well either.
    They are ~10% of total cases.
    I am speaking from my anecdotal experience. That's all.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2021
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

But they are. The double vaccinated are getting sick all around me in the NE. They are testing positive by the dozen.
    I know, I am just putting it in perspective. Its about 3000 cases a day.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    NEW: U.S. reports nearly 30,000 new coronavirus cases, biggest one-day increase since May
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I must say that the hysterical demands for a Bank Holiday are beginning to shift me from not giving a damn to hoping for a win for Italy.

Its absolutely delusional. Anyone suggesting it couldn't possibly have any real world business experience. There's not a chance in hell a bank holiday can be organised in 10 hours notice.
    It would be an appalling precedent too - leading to pressure on future Governments whenever GB or one of its components triumphed in a sports competition - eg the Rugby World Cup - Cricket World Cup etc. There was no Bank Holiday granted in July 1966 in respect of a much more meaningful event.
    I feel a bit for people not into the football. If we win it will be massive. Just basically imagine how big and OTT it could possibly be and then double that.
    I disagree. Not even winning the World Cup in 1966 had that effect - never mind this relatively minor affair.
    Time has moved on since the 60s.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

They seem to be all around me.
    So I am a bit biased.
    And not a little sanguine as others.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    The phrase "fully vaccinated" will bite the dust soon. Otherwise it would impact adversely on booster take-up.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

I appear to know a large proportion of them.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    The awful increase in the death rate in Tunisia continues. Friday's figure for deaths with Covid was the highest ever: 189.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747
    Around 90% of adults have antibodies according to this. How long will it be before we reach herd immunity?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-around-nine-in-10-adults-in-most-parts-of-uk-likely-to-have-virus-antibodies-ons-data-says-12350776
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626
    justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

The one that still amazes me is how the Football Association have made such a comprehensive f*ckup of the BLM stuff.

Hardly anybody else in the tournament has enforced the political signal in a resolutely non-political game (after the 1936 Nazi salute done as a courtesy encouraged by ambassador after the players were reluctant), promoted by the FA over the last year. No other countries have dug a similar hole for themselves.

We have one of the most diverse squads, and you have to Southern or Eastern Europe for monkey chants these days, yet the FA have split their fans down the middle and created a situation where some Brexit irreconcilables have been posting eg photos of the 1936 team giving Nazi salutes, as if this means anything.

Just shocked at the ineptitude.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Just been told a local pub has had to close and cancel all bookings for this weekend, for the final, because a senior member of staff has tested positive and so now all the staff have to isolate and the pub has to close.

That frigging sucks. People have put their hearts and souls into their businesses and been through a nightmare and now they're going to lose thousands in trade this weekend. This madness needs to end.

Covid passports for the double vaccinated rather than track and trace and isolation for those in contact with an infected person seems to be the way ahead from July 19th if tonight's news is true.

So July 19th effectively becomes Freedom Day for the double vaccinated, if you are not vaccinated you could be refused entry to a club, pub or restaurant and cannot travel abroad without quarantine
    Very sensible, except it's too late. We should have been doing that before things started getting out of control. That way venues could have safely opened earlier, to everyone's benefit

The government should have been carefully laying the messaging groundwork for this for months, as well as making practical preparations. They've done neither. It will therefore be a disaster.
    Data not dates they said, then ignored the data. At least until the numbers mushroomed 10 fold in 6 weeks.
    Have hospitalisations and deaths mushroomed likewise?

I appreciate that as an NHS guy you would rather no patients and no illness but that suggests you are in the wrong job.
    That is a little abusive to say the least.
    Is it abusive to say a doctor doesn't want any deaths or illness?
    Not abusive, merely misrepresenting my views.
    You didn't answer my question. Data not dates. Hospitalisations and deaths. What are the data?
    Cases up tenfold in six weeks. Admissions, ventilators and deaths all on the rise. Admissions doubled since June 25 for example.
    Doubled vs tenfold. Thanks for answering.

You do get that's two different time periods there right?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    alex_ said:

Barnesian said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Just been told a local pub has had to close and cancel all bookings for this weekend, for the final, because a senior member of staff has tested positive and so now all the staff have to isolate and the pub has to close.

That frigging sucks. People have put their hearts and souls into their businesses and been through a nightmare and now they're going to lose thousands in trade this weekend. This madness needs to end.

Covid passports for the double vaccinated rather than track and trace and isolation for those in contact with an infected person seems to be the way ahead from July 19th if tonight's news is true.

So July 19th effectively becomes Freedom Day for the double vaccinated, if you are not vaccinated you could be refused entry to a club, pub or restaurant and cannot travel abroad without quarantine
    Very sensible, except it's too late. We should have been doing that before things started getting out of control. That way venues could have safely opened earlier, to everyone's benefit

The government should have been carefully laying the messaging groundwork for this for months, as well as making practical preparations. They've done neither. It will therefore be a disaster.
    Data not dates they said, then ignored the data. At least until the numbers mushroomed 10 fold in 6 weeks.
    Have hospitalisations and deaths mushroomed likewise?

I appreciate that as an NHS guy you would rather no patients and no illness but that suggests you are in the wrong job.
    That is a little abusive to say the least.
    Is it abusive to say a doctor doesn't want any deaths or illness?
    Not abusive, merely misrepresenting my views.
    You didn't answer my question. Data not dates. Hospitalisations and deaths. What are the data?
    Admissions are +66% on a week ago and the numbers in hospital are +42% on a week ago.

The posters bullish on the vaccines already ending this haven't quoted the hospital figures for the last week or two.

I'm trying to hold my nerve and trusting that the virus is about to run out of susceptible people to infect, and we'll soon see vaccines bring the hospital numbers down. Right at this moment they are deteriorating rapidly. Twelve days until my second dose appointment...
    Admissions, numbers in hospital, those on ventilators and deaths are doubling every 12 days (R=1.5). Serious but numbers relatively low at the moment.

Cases doubling every 16 days (R= 1.35). Remember the lag. Ten days ago R for cases was 1.7 (doubling every 9 days). So R for cases rapidly dropping.

I think we're going to be OK. I think this is the peak in cases and daily cases will be down to less than 10,000 (from 30,000) by September. Deaths etc will follow with a lag.

Percentage increases on cases is falling again as well. First time a few weeks ago could have been because it was peaking in the hotspot areas ,but wasn't yet taking significant hold in wider areas. Hopefully this time it suggests approaching peaks across the country now it is pretty much everywhere. It can now only grow upwards, not by spreading to new areas, so we get the real test of the vaccine ceilings.
    Isn't it more the initial hotpots (North West, Scotland) are cooling but the non hit areas haven't taken off yet?
This discussion has been closed.