Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Following LAB’s narrow Batley victory Starmer moves up in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    Cookie said:

Naomi Canton
    @naomi2009
    ·
    20m
    EXCLUSIVE Sajid Javid goes full speed ahead towards lifting ALL lockdown restrictions to 'make Britain the most open country in Europe' from July 19 in dramatic tone shift from shamed predecessor Matt Hancock

Yay! Fuck you, Hancock.
    The Saj has done well in his first few days: block Dido and lift lockdown.
    I wonder whether Dominic Cummings will take aim.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,164

Naomi Canton
    @naomi2009
    ·
    20m
    EXCLUSIVE Sajid Javid goes full speed ahead towards lifting ALL lockdown restrictions to 'make Britain the most open country in Europe' from July 19 in dramatic tone shift from shamed predecessor Matt Hancock

Good. Time to move on.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Emma Raducanu is

Well, she is, isn’t she?

No point denying it

Fwwooooo

26/1 to win the tournament.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/tennis/wimbledon-2021/womens-tournament-betting-30636650
    Can I be the first to recommend laying her?
    Bit young isn't she?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,447
    Cookie said:

Naomi Canton
    @naomi2009
    ·
    20m

Yay! Fuck you, Hancock.
    Indeed. I think it is safe to say there has been something of a policy change at the heart of government.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032
    Gnud said:

Cookie said:

Naomi Canton
    @naomi2009
    ·
    20m

Yay! Fuck you, Hancock.
    The Saj has done well in his first few days: block Dido and lift lockdown.
    I wonder whether Dominic Cummings will take aim.
    Tbf the Dido one wasn't really tough.
    Like my first decision of the day.
    Cornflakes, porridge, fry up, rusty razor blades, or fruit?
    Rule one of them out pretty quickly.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,514
    Gnud said:

IshmaelZ said:

Gnud said:

Hmm.
    Looking at sequences, the last few games have seen England score 0, 1, 2, 4.
    Logically, therefore, we’ll score 8 against Denmark.
    And 16 in the final.

0,1,2,4,... are Fibonacci sums.
    7 against Denmark, 12 in the final.
    I just hope my English family and friends in Dundee don't have their windows put in.
    1+2=4?
    No, like this.
    Fibonacci sequence: 0,1,1,2,3,5,...
    Sum of first n terms:
    n=1, sum = 0
    n=2, sum = 0+1 = 1
    n=3, sum = 0+1+1 = 2
    n=4, sum = 0+1+1+2 = 4
    n=5, sum = 0+1+1+2+3 = 7
    n=6, sum = 0+1+1+2+3+5 = 12

:smile:
    England goals increasing exponentially? Don't tell the pols. They will be predicting hundreds of thousands of goals a game by Autumn.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    OK a report that isn't in the Daily Express this time. This (£) is in the current issue of Le Parisien:

"Rupture avec le RN, rapprochement avec LR... à quoi joue Nicolas Dupont-Aignan ?"

"Breaking with the National Rally [formerly National Front], cosying up with the Republicans - what's NDA playing at?"

(The answer is he wants to win the mantle as the rightwinger who can beat Macron, unlike the toxic Le Pen and various faffers.)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,447
    The Sunday Express has learnt that members of Independent Sage are to be part of the launch of an international group called the World Health Network which will push for a “zero covid” strategy of maintaining lockdowns. The revelation came at an online meeting of the Zero Covid campaign group last week where trade union officials told attendees about how covid is a means of recruiting members and how the ultimate goal has to be “to bring down capitalism.”
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,614
    Happy treason day you bunch of disloyal colonials a.k.a. the day we decided we’d much rather have India.
  • Options
    Sky still running zero covid alarmists.

Scientist claiming we shouldn't be lifting restrictions as we'd be the only country in Europe to do so.

We're the only country in Europe to finish vaccinating all adults (first dose) too, with two doses for all the vulnerable and many more people too.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited July 2021
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Nice end line by Lineker

Next stop Rome 'They've only blown the bloody scores off'

Next Stop Rome? They play at Wembley next....and The Italian Job was set in Turin not Rome....
    Pedantic even by your standards! I doubt GL is a film buff. If he had been he might have known there was a remake done in 2003 partly set in Venice. I know this because my girlfriend was first AD for the Italian sequences.
    The 2003 film, that was the really bad remake wasn't it.

I presume we will probably get a reboot as its nearly another 20 years on. Although isn't those terrible Fast and Furious movies basically just the Italian Job, over and over and over again? Whatever number they are up to now, 9, 10?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004
    Argentina brought us the hand of God,
    Brazil has the foot of Jesus.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,514
    While I'm surfing this particular wave, I'm also going to call the peak of positive tests in Greater Manchester. Again.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The Sunday Express has learnt that members of Independent Sage are to be part of the launch of an international group called the World Health Network which will push for a “zero covid” strategy of maintaining lockdowns. The revelation came at an online meeting of the Zero Covid campaign group last week where trade union officials told attendees about how covid is a means of recruiting members and how the ultimate goal has to be “to bring down capitalism.”

Shocked I tell you
  • Options
    Floater said:

Shocked I tell you
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    edited July 2021

If that report is accurate I have to wonder if these types ever reflect on why it is that they have to constantly fall back on piggybacking on other concerns or disguising their core motivation of bringing down capitalism in order to try to garner support. Yes, I know, the power of the status quo and big oil or the lizards or whatever, but if the truths are so self evident why must it always be sought through stealth?
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Nice end line by Lineker

Next Stop Rome? They play at Wembley next....and The Italian Job was set in Turin not Rome....
    Pedantic even by your standards! I doubt GL is a film buff. If he had been he might have known there was a remake done in 2003 partly set in Venice. I know this because my girlfriend was first AD for the Italian sequences.

I presume we will probably get a reboot as its nearly another 20 years on. Although isn't those terrible Fast and Furious movies basically just the Italian Job, over and over and over again? Whatever number they are up to now, 9, 10?
    9, but with spin offs. They were initially not over the top enough to be entertaining, then hit the sweet spot, and then crossed over into too over the top to have any emotional weight. Fine line for dumb action (I suspet John Wick 4 will go the same way, although all three to date were very entertaining).
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Naomi Canton
    @naomi2009
    ·
    20m

Yay! Fuck you, Hancock.
    Can't he hire someone for that?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Foxy said:

Looking at the Labour announcement on their website*, there doesn't seem to be much to it. I suppose things like this are the normal work of an Opposition - make an announcement where you promise to do something good, which involves criticising the government for not managing to make it happen, or for actively making the situation worse. Make lots of these announcements to gain attention - so necessarily there can't be too much concrete in each one.

The one thing that is in it is:
    "Passing a law requiring public bodies to report on how much they are buying from British businesses including SMEs."

I guess an issue here is how complicated this could get, bearing in mind how complicated in can be for rules of origin in trade deals.

* https://labour.org.uk/press/labour-will-make-buy-and-sell-more-in-britain/

What counts as a British business? e.g. Is Morrisons still a British business when it is taken over by the American private equity company? Their HQ will be in the UK, is that enough? Or, as in the case of Morrisons, they also own a lot of UK based food production facilities.
    AstraZeneca too - are they too Swedish to count as British?

If I provide consultancy services do I count as 100% British, or because I work on a laptop manufactured abroad, running software developed abroad, does that mean I have non-British inputs, so I can only claim to be 80% British? That's the same as for, say, a British loo roll company important wood pulp, say.
    Rachel Reeves: Labour will be on the side of British businesses

"Sets out proposals to insert clauses into government contracts that would "help give more public contracts to British businesses", and to require public bodies to report how much they are buying from UK firms; "

New Labour gave loads of contracts to the UK firm Capita.....I guess she doesn't quite mean that though?

"Pledges government support for businesses seeking to set up factories in the UK in order to "reshore" or "near-shore" production "so that their supply chains are less complicated and shorter" "

Sounds a bit Trumpian....Red meat for the red wall...but not really realistic in the 21st Century globalized economy, unless they are going to have a trade war with China?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/03/rachel-reeves-labour-will-side-british-businesses/
    I think it an astute policy. Brexit could be Free Trade or it could be protectionism. That is potentially clear red water that is popular in Labour target seats. I am not so convinced about "Free Trade" as many. It worked for us in the 19th century, at a time when we were economically and militarily dominant in the world. That isn't the 21st Century position though.

It's certainly a good way to make sure the public sector overpays for shoddy services.

I wouldn't call that astute myself.

I'll bet North Korea and Cuba source most of their public sector procurement domestically.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited July 2021

Naomi Canton
    @naomi2009
    ·
    20m

We should do it from tomorrow. If it's the right thing to do in two weeks, why can't we do it without further messing around?

We don't need two weeks to throw a bunch of masks away.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Scientist claiming we shouldn't be lifting restrictions as we'd be the only country in Europe to do so.

We're the only country in Europe to finish vaccinating all adults (first dose) too, with two doses for all the vulnerable and many more people too.

The point to open up is when we ha e herd immunity. I understand that means two shots in the 70-80% of population range. We are not there yet.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Naomi Canton
    @naomi2009
    ·
    20m

We should do it from tomorrow. If it's the right thing to do in two weeks, why can't we do it without further messing around?

We don't need two weeks to throw a bunch of masks away.
    A whole load more people will be vaccinated in two weeks.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

The point to open up is when we ha e herd immunity. I understand that means two shots in the 70-80% of population range. We are not there yet.
    Well we won't be 70-80% by July 19th.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,632
    Pulpstar said:

Aslan said:

If the R for the Delta variant is as high as some estimates, 5-6, then you'd need 80-83% of the population to have received a vaccination of a 100% effectiveness against transmission

The vaccines we have aren't 100% effective against transmission - they are very, very effective at reducing hospitalisation and death.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Aslan said:

If we haven't reached herd immunity, COVID will spike massively and we will be forced into lockdown again. Amazing how many times we need to make the same mistake.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Nice end line by Lineker

The 2003 film was a missed opportunity in one way.

The modern Minis used for the tunnel sequences were all modified into electric cars. This was due to safety issues due to running ICE vehicles in a confined space.

The conversions had considerable performance - some engineers from the makers of the Mini had a look. And declined to take it any further.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Aslan said:

If the R for the Delta variant is as high as some estimates, 5-6, then you'd need 80-83% of the population to have received a vaccination of a 100% effectiveness against transmission

The vaccines we have aren't 100% effective against transmission - they are very, very effective at reducing hospitalisation and death.
    That's ignoring the immunity people have already had from infection.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Pulpstar said:

Aslan said:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveyantibodyandvaccinationdatafortheuk/latest#percentage-of-adults-testing-positive-for-covid-19-antibodies-and-percentage-of-adults-vaccinated-against-covid-19-in-england-wales-northern-ireland-and-scotland

Week beginning 7th June, adults with COVID anitbodies

Country
    England 86.6%
    Wales 88.7%
    Northern Ireland 85.4%
    Scotland 79.1%

The number, as you can see are not much different - a few percent from the vaccinations.

The issue is not that. The issue is that the if the vaccines are 60% effective against transmission, then the number required to achieve herd immunity (the virus dying out by itself) goes up to beyond 90%....

Which is why, at the moment, COVID is not dying out.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Pulpstar said:

Aslan said:

If we haven't reached herd immunity, COVID will spike massively and we will be forced into lockdown again. Amazing how many times we need to make the same mistake.
    COVID is spiking massively.

What the Government and medical authorities are relying on, is that the vaccinations will reduce the hospitalisations and deaths to the point that we carry on, as COVID spreads throughout the population.

• Options
    edited July 2021

Aslan said:

Pulpstar said:

Aslan said:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveyantibodyandvaccinationdatafortheuk/latest#percentage-of-adults-testing-positive-for-covid-19-antibodies-and-percentage-of-adults-vaccinated-against-covid-19-in-england-wales-northern-ireland-and-scotland

Week beginning 7th June, adults with COVID anitbodies

Country
    England 86.6%
    Wales 88.7%
    Northern Ireland 85.4%
    Scotland 79.1%

The number, as you can see are not much different - a few percent from the vaccinations.

The issue is not that. The issue is that the if the vaccines are 60% effective against transmission, then the number required to achieve herd immunity (the virus dying out by itself) goes up to beyond 90%....

Which is why, at the moment, COVID is not dying out.
    If r = 5 and the vaccines are 60% effective against transmission, even with 100% vaccine coverage you're still falling short by 20% ?
    Prior infection* AND vaccination is needed ?

* Boosters..
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953

Theresa May has earned more than £500,000 for ‘virtual’ speeches during the pandemic – making her the highest-earning MP last year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9753247/Theresa-zooms-MPs-pay-list-earning-500k-virtual-speeches.html

Who wants to hear Mrs May speak virtually.....let alone pay for the punishment.

She must have hired a *really* good agent.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,104
    As someone not interested in football, or tennis, it should be said that broadcast TV atm is rather pants. Especially the BBC. Both BBC 1 and 2 bleeping well broadcasting Wimbledon for most of the day (except today, obv). It's enough to make me skip the licence fee ... ;)

Thank goodness for YouTube and DVDs.

But well done to England. I know the team's success matters a lot to people, and it's good to see so many of my countrymen (exc. many Welsh and Scottish) happy.

As an aside, my son is in the situation where he doesn't watch footie, but 'knows' it is something he should be interested in. Before the championship he asked if he could watch the matches.
    "Who are you supporting?" I asked.
    "Well, England," he said.
    "Ah, good."
    "And Turkey, because mum is Turkish. And Holland, because my teacher's from there. And Scotland, because you love it. And Wales, because a friend's Welsh."

Since then, he hasn't asked to watch a single match ...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,032
    Aslan said:

Pulpstar said:

Aslan said:

Young people aren't affected much by having it, generally speaking.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,379

As someone not interested in football, or tennis, it should be said that broadcast TV atm is rather pants. Especially the BBC. Both BBC 1 and 2 bleeping well broadcasting Wimbledon for most of the day (except today, obv). It's enough to make me skip the licence fee ... ;)

Thank goodness for YouTube and DVDs.

But well done to England. I know the team's success matters a lot to people, and it's good to see so many of my countrymen (exc. many Welsh and Scottish) happy.

As an aside, my son is in the situation where he doesn't watch footie, but 'knows' it is something he should be interested in. Before the championship he asked if he could watch the matches.
    "Who are you supporting?" I asked.
    "Well, England," he said.
    "Ah, good."
    "And Turkey, because mum is Turkish. And Holland, because my teacher's from there. And Scotland, because you love it. And Wales, because a friend's Welsh."

Since then, he hasn't asked to watch a single match ...

Tennis like football os something you like to watch less of. Wimbledpn coverage so predictctable.. cost of strawberries , fashions... with added woke just to.piss you off even.more.. Football is usually 87 mins of boredom.plus a few flashes best caught on you tube .. overpaid primadonnas with added ..experts... who add nothing and just fill in the gaps when there is no action and when there are interminable replays of the 'action'

Rant over

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    This is an old thread
This discussion has been closed.