Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest voting intention polling following last week’s by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719

Good morning

Burley is having a tantrum on Sky over the VIP UEFA officials being allowed into the Country for the Euro final at Wembley, when UK citizens cannot go abroad

Sky interviewed labour's John Healey who fell into the narrative by saying this is typical behaviour by this government of favouring their friends as Dominic Cummings affirms, but then Sky singularly failed to ask the question of him, labour and indeed Burley herself, that are they willing to hand the prestigious finals to Bucharest, as that is the consequence of banning these officials

This is another example of poor journalism and seeking another 'gotcha'

UK citizens can go abroad.

It's a matter of what they have to do when they get back.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Burley is having a tantrum on Sky over the VIP UEFA officials being allowed into the Country for the Euro final at Wembley, when UK citizens cannot go abroad

Sky interviewed labour's John Healey who fell into the narrative by saying this is typical behaviour by this government of favouring their friends as Dominic Cummings affirms, but then Sky singularly failed to ask the question of him, labour and indeed Burley herself, that are they willing to hand the prestigious finals to Bucharest, as that is the consequence of banning these officials

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062199/

I do not see the connection or am I missing it
    Other channels are available Big G and if you are having trouble using the remote or finding the off switch I thought I'd help out.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Good morning

The only question worth asking is why are the UEFA officials being allowed in now but not for the Champions League final which was moved to Porto.

I believe the answer is getting the World Cup in 2030 but I suspect that wouldn't be the answer being offered.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    Scott_xP said:

some at the extremes like @Scott_xP who need to move on

You are more obsessed with me than I am with the vote.

Get a life
    Not really when it comes to Europe
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    edited June 2021
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

O/T 5 years ago today we voted to leave. Today I am off to London to spend the day on the lash with some of my fellow campaigners to celebrate the anniversary. If anybody sees a very drunken and dishevelled man trying to get on the last train back to Liverpool from Euston tonight, either please help me on or shove me under it depending on how you voted.

Strong Britain, Great Nation,

Strong Britain, Great Nation...

I noticed on the last thread that you sneered at the British values of tolerance, kindness, pride and respect.

Which of those virtues are not worth celebrating and encouraging?
    All those virtues are worth celebrating and encouraging. However, I suspect they're not uniquely British, more like universal. Indeed, even in less tolerant countries than ours I suspect that most individual people value tolerance, kindness, pride and respect. Though such values are not always on display on PB.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    On chilled meats extension:

Whitehall (& I) was expecting 3 months yesterday as in Frost's request… generous from the EU if 6 is agreed

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1407617823157981191?s=20
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

If, as the empirical evidence suggests, you find watching Sky News annoying T is helpfully pointing out that it's possible to configure your television so that YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH IT.
    I watch all channels and will comment as I like

And you have still not answered my question
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,272
    edited June 2021

OT Euro2020 Betfair prices, in order, and their implied chances of winning (not normalised).

1 France 5.4 18.5%
    2 Italy 7.4 13.5%
    3 Germany 7.8 12.8%
    4 Belgium 9 11.1%
    5 Spain 9.8 10.2%
    6 England 10 10.0%
    7 Netherlands 12.5 8.0%
    8 Portugal 13 7.7%
    9 Denmark 26 3.8%
    10 Croatia 46 2.2%
    Everyone else (including Wales) is at 100 or more.

Fwiw I've backed France but do not agree with suggestions that England should be laid. A ten per cent chance of winning looks about right to me, with no juice on the back or lay side. Of course, we shall not know who England will play in the next round until after tonight's matches.

The value there is Belgium.
    There's no way Germany's odds should be nearly as short as Italy's. I'd be tempted to back Italy and lay Germany.

I also think Portugal have a better chance than Spain.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

Yes, Grant Shapps IS the cousin of Mick Jones from The Clash. (The Only Band That Matters)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Foxy said:

isam said:

The man behind “Great Nation”.

“Mr Singh told Times Radio: “We started the concept in Bradford and West Yorkshire, and it’s been very, very successful indeed, so what we want to look at is taking it across the nation.

“It was something that was born from my dream as a police officer, in terms of what I’d see, in terms of my passion, pride and frustration, and something that I feel needed to be done in this country.

“This country is a brilliant country. I came to this country as a six-year-old kid who couldn’t speak a word of English. My parents were labourers, they worked in a factory and foundry, and there are fantastic people in this country.“

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/government-backs-one-britain-one-073918206.html

Yeah, but I don't think that excuses the excreble song!
    Won’t be putting it on any playlists that’s for sure
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338

In the first opinion poll since the historic vote of No Confidence in prime minister Stefan Löfven, the Swedish Left Party (renamed Communists) reach their highest numbers in 19 years.

In contrast, the Liberal vote has totally collapsed. There is no way they are going to reach the 4% threshold now.

Why do they have a cock and balls as their logo?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Other channels are available Big G and if you are having trouble using the remote or finding the off switch I thought I'd help out.
    Thank you but I do watch various channels including Sky and if Sky are acting daft I will comment as I will with any channel
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

isam said:

“Mr Singh told Times Radio: “We started the concept in Bradford and West Yorkshire, and it’s been very, very successful indeed, so what we want to look at is taking it across the nation.

“It was something that was born from my dream as a police officer, in terms of what I’d see, in terms of my passion, pride and frustration, and something that I feel needed to be done in this country.

“This country is a brilliant country. I came to this country as a six-year-old kid who couldn’t speak a word of English. My parents were labourers, they worked in a factory and foundry, and there are fantastic people in this country.“

I think there's quite a lot of polling evidence of ethnic minority communities having stronger senses of "Britishness" than of being "English" or "Scottish" - perhaps seeing those as ethnic identities?
    http://hummedia.manchester.ac.uk/institutes/code/briefings/dynamicsofdiversity/code-census-briefing-national-identity-scotland.pdf
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856

Sounds like Scotland too:

Perhaps inevitably, the losers are most unwilling to bury the hatchet. When asked to score their feelings towards the other side out of 100 – with 100 the “warmest” feeling, and 0 the “coldest” – Remainers rate their feelings towards Leavers at 29 out of 100, while Leavers give Remain voters a much “warmer” rating of 42 out of 100. There are four times more Remain supporters who say it’s hard to be friends with people who voted Leave in the EU referendum than Leave voters who say the same about Remain voters (29 per cent versus seven per cent) – and these negative feelings about the other side haven’t declined, even as the news agenda moves on. It will continue to be an issue that represents different British mind sets, and divides society.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/eu-referendum-five-years-brexit-leave-remain-symbolise-who-we-are-1064829?ito=twitter_share_article-top

That’s because Leavers are, objectively, twunts.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited June 2021

isam said:

I think there's quite a lot of polling evidence of ethnic minority communities having stronger senses of "Britishness" than of being "English" or "Scottish" - perhaps seeing those as ethnic identities?
    My colleagues and friend say I am the most British/English person they know, not just based on my excellent knowledge of history of this country and these isles.

Apparently anyone who thinks immigrants/Muslims cannot integrate into the UK should spend some time with me.
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178

Deltapoll is likely an outlier, and there's something unusual going on with their methodology anyway: their SNP number is implausibly (and consistently) low, in a fashion that none of the other pollsters match.

The Lib Dems have been flatlining at around 8% for almost the whole of the last decade (Jo Swinson managed to earn them about an extra 3pts at the 2019 GE with the hardline Remain message, for all the good that it did her; that extra support quickly fell off again.) Some kind of revival might be on the cards in the wake of the by-election win; you can make arguments either way, but it's too early to tell.

Deltapoll’s Scottish numbers are bonkers. Miles off all the other pollsters, and real-world election results:

Con 32%
    Lab 24%
    SNP 21%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 5%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 3%
    oth 4%

Why?
    Because.... Tory surge KLAXON!
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Good morning

But that is not the point

This is a prestigious sporting event and does anyone want to hand this event to another country, by preventing the organisations officials attending
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

In the first opinion poll since the historic vote of No Confidence in prime minister Stefan Löfven, the Swedish Left Party (renamed Communists) reach their highest numbers in 19 years.

In contrast, the Liberal vote has totally collapsed. There is no way they are going to reach the 4% threshold now.

The news articles say the PM may call elections, but if he dos, there will be elections next September anyway (i.e. as well).

Are we expecting a 2021 election in that case?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

Yes, Grant Shapps IS the cousin of Mick Jones from The Clash. (The Only Band That Matters)
    YOU ARE FUCKING KIDDING ME!

That is amazing. Still remember fondly when some skinheads jumped up on the stage at the Rainbow and beat to fuck the support band (Suicide).

Happy days.

Edit: Remote Control tour I believe.
  • Options
    Why has Sir Keir Starmer let the former Secretary of the Monday Club's Immigration and Repatriation Committee join the Labour Party?

Further proof of his bad judgment, I mean at the time the Monday Club policy was to repatriate all darkies wasn't it?

Also can anyone tell me why Boris Johnson correctly denied John Bercow a peerage because of the bullying allegations yet kept Priti Patel as Home Secretary after she had been found of bullying behaviour?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814
    Implied betting chances of England's next opponents:

Germany 61% (German win France don't draw, Germany draw France don't lose)
    France 31% (France do either of above, Hungary win France lose narrowly)
    Hungary 5% (Hungary win France win or Hungary win France lose well/badly, 2-0, 2-0 or above)
    Portugal 3% (Hungary win, Portugal draw)
  • Options

Deltapoll is likely an outlier, and there's something unusual going on with their methodology anyway: their SNP number is implausibly (and consistently) low, in a fashion that none of the other pollsters match.

The Lib Dems have been flatlining at around 8% for almost the whole of the last decade (Jo Swinson managed to earn them about an extra 3pts at the 2019 GE with the hardline Remain message, for all the good that it did her; that extra support quickly fell off again.) Some kind of revival might be on the cards in the wake of the by-election win; you can make arguments either way, but it's too early to tell.

Deltapoll’s Scottish numbers are bonkers. Miles off all the other pollsters, and real-world election results:

Con 32%
    Lab 24%
    SNP 21%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 5%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 3%
    oth 4%

Why?
    Given the margin of error for subsamples, I think that is suspicious we don't see bonkers numbers more often in polling subsamples.
  • Options

isam said:

My colleagues and friend say I am the most British/English person they know, not just based on my excellent knowledge of history of this country and these isles.

Apparently anyone who thinks immigrants/Muslims cannot integrate into the UK should spend some time for me.
    A positive imperial legacy is that Britishness is a flexible quality and doesn’t - to my mind - denote any ethnicity or birthplace.

That is very valuable.
  • Options

Con 32%
    Lab 24%
    SNP 21%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 5%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 3%
    oth 4%

Why?
    Almost like Scottish subsamples, due to their small and consequent MOE, are inherently reliable.

It is why they should never read too much into them.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

O/T 5 years ago today we voted to leave. Today I am off to London to spend the day on the lash with some of my fellow campaigners to celebrate the anniversary. If anybody sees a very drunken and dishevelled man trying to get on the last train back to Liverpool from Euston tonight, either please help me on or shove me under it depending on how you voted.

I noticed on the last thread that you sneered at the British values of tolerance, kindness, pride and respect.

The virtue of not dictating to primary school children to sing a right wing thinktank's version of a song supposedly to celebrate the nation which pretends that Northern Ireland isn't a thing.

Charles - are you providing succour to this nonsense out of remaining party loyalty, or do you really want us to go American and have a pledge of allegiance every morning in schools?

As Lieutenant Tawny Madison said in Galaxy Quest: Well Fuck That.
    I’m commenting on @Foxy ’s sneering attitude.
    Pieties about others’ sneering after calling someone a fuckwit certainly exemplifies that fine, old British value of hypocrisy.
    Nah - calling someone a fuckwit is a good old fashioned British insult. It’s fairly mild and usually in a semi-affectionate tone.

Sneering is condescending and snobbish to those you perceive as inferior to yourself. No one on this board has any inate superiority over others regardless of their beliefs or achievements.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,461

Perhaps inevitably, the losers are most unwilling to bury the hatchet. When asked to score their feelings towards the other side out of 100 – with 100 the “warmest” feeling, and 0 the “coldest” – Remainers rate their feelings towards Leavers at 29 out of 100, while Leavers give Remain voters a much “warmer” rating of 42 out of 100. There are four times more Remain supporters who say it’s hard to be friends with people who voted Leave in the EU referendum than Leave voters who say the same about Remain voters (29 per cent versus seven per cent) – and these negative feelings about the other side haven’t declined, even as the news agenda moves on. It will continue to be an issue that represents different British mind sets, and divides society.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/eu-referendum-five-years-brexit-leave-remain-symbolise-who-we-are-1064829?ito=twitter_share_article-top

The best answer is like myself who voted remain but accept the vote and have no hatchet issues other than some at the extremes like @Scott_xP who need to move on
    Except that, had the losers in 1975 done that, we wouldn't be where we are now.

Had SirJammy Fishpaste's Referendum Party accepted their 2.6 percent vote as a defeat in 1997 and moved on, we wouldn't be where we are now.

The essence of democracy has always been that a nation can change its mind, and that people have the right to try and persuade others to change their mind.

If this works, it will stick. If it doesn't, it won't, no matter what landmines this government puts in the way.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

isam said:

Apparently anyone who thinks immigrants/Muslims cannot integrate into the UK should spend some time for me.
    My wife and family are all very British - and their contempt for the "hate everything about the UK and it's history" brigade is manifest and quite in-your-face.

As they put it - "We chose this country."
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

The virtue of not dictating to primary school children to sing a right wing thinktank's version of a song supposedly to celebrate the nation which pretends that Northern Ireland isn't a thing.

Charles - are you providing succour to this nonsense out of remaining party loyalty, or do you really want us to go American and have a pledge of allegiance every morning in schools?

By bringing your own sneering attitude. This song being rammed down the throats of primary age children is not part of any British values. Other than the one of not knowing what our country is as it misses off NI.
    I’ve no idea about the song and don’t really care. The attitude he had was deeply unpleasant.
  • Options

isam said:

A positive imperial legacy is that Britishness is a flexible quality and doesn’t - to my mind - denote any ethnicity or birthplace.

That is very valuable.
    It is why I always take a holiday on the 3rd of July because I'm a true patriot whereas so called patriots who sing about two world wars and a world cup wouldn't be able to tell you why the 3rd of July is such an important date in this country's history.

Up there with the 18th of June, 21st of October, and the 25th of July.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Charles said:

Foxy said:

All those virtues are worth celebrating and encouraging. However, I suspect they're not uniquely British, more like universal. Indeed, even in less tolerant countries than ours I suspect that most individual people value tolerance, kindness, pride and respect. Though such values are not always on display on PB.
    British traits I see which are more distinctive are privacy, tolerance, humour, sang-froideur, eccentricity, extemperaneousness, pragmatism, snobbery, moderation, philistinism.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

A lot of us are sneering at this "Great Britain, Strong Nation" for school kids nonsense! It is a step towards this
    https://youtu.be/SDuHXTG3uyY?t=9
    Indeed.

The parallels are striking.
    No wonder Charles supports the idea.
    Please withdraw that comment. The implication is deeply unpleasant and uncalled for.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

I know, amazing.

What next? Woody Guthrie is the grandfather of Mark Francois?
  • Options
    isam said:

I rather suspect that the extra 2m+ were towards the lower levels of the socioeconomic scale.

With a week to go until the deadline for EU nationals living in the UK to apply for settled status, it is clear that far more EU citizens have been living in the country than previous estimates suggested.

As of 31 May, the government had received 5.6 million applications for the post-Brexit scheme that allows EU nationals to continue living and working in the UK after the end of this month.

That is far higher than the official estimate when the scheme was fully opened in March 2019 that there were 3.7 million (non-Irish) EU nationals in the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56846637

Noooo? Get out of town????

How many did Labour predict when they opened the floodgates? 10-15,000 a year wasn’t it?

"And some nationalities stood out. More than 760,000 applications have been approved for Romanians in the UK, for example, while the estimate of the resident Romanian population is only about 400,000."

Hmmm remember when they told us there weren't as many Bulgarians and Romanians coming over and Nigel was just scaremongering? Turns out they undercoated, by a lot.

This means the net migration numbers have been way off as well. Voting Leave was the best vote I have ever cast.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

The best answer is like myself who voted remain but accept the vote and have no hatchet issues other than some at the extremes like @Scott_xP who need to move on
    This was true before the referendum too though. Popular culture has spent the last twenty years encouraging Remainers to despise Leavers.

I don't know how this maps on to the Scotland question.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The government deserves a huge serving of shit over the decision to let UEFA hanger-oners in without quarantine.

Absolutely. A shameful decision, and an inconsistent decision when he correctly said no to UEFA and lost England the chance to hold this year's Champions League final.
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

isam said:

I rather suspect that the extra 2m+ were towards the lower levels of the socioeconomic scale.

With a week to go until the deadline for EU nationals living in the UK to apply for settled status, it is clear that far more EU citizens have been living in the country than previous estimates suggested.

As of 31 May, the government had received 5.6 million applications for the post-Brexit scheme that allows EU nationals to continue living and working in the UK after the end of this month.

That is far higher than the official estimate when the scheme was fully opened in March 2019 that there were 3.7 million (non-Irish) EU nationals in the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56846637

Noooo? Get out of town????

How many did Labour predict when they opened the floodgates? 10-15,000 a year wasn’t it?

"And some nationalities stood out. More than 760,000 applications have been approved for Romanians in the UK, for example, while the estimate of the resident Romanian population is only about 400,000."

Hmmm remember when they told us there weren't as many Bulgarians and Romanians coming over and Nigel was just scaremongering? Turns out they undercoated, by a lot.

This means the net migration numbers have been way off as well. Voting Leave was the best vote I have ever cast.
    I meant to say undercounted. But I think undercoated fits here.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

That is amazing. Still remember fondly when some skinheads jumped up on the stage at the Rainbow and beat to fuck the support band (Suicide).

Happy days.

You were Spartacus? It beats my FP Rainbow story that I was there when the GLC abruptly terminated The Stranglers because Hugh Cornwell's teeshirt had a Ford-like logo that said Fuck (or something).
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    The Chemical Brothers, Blur, Primal Scream and Radiohead are among the artists urging the government to make it easier for British musicians to tour in the European Union post-Brexit https://trib.al/Wgw1DBC
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

I know, amazing.

Crispin Blunt is the uncle of Emily Blunt and Danny Krueger's momma is Prue Leith.

The former connection really blew my mind.
  • Options

isam said:

That is very valuable.
    It is why I always take a holiday on the 3rd of July because I'm a true patriot whereas so called patriots who sing about two world wars and a world cup wouldn't be able to tell you why the 3rd of July is such an important date in this country's history.

National Fried Clam Day?
    Tom Cruise’s birthday?

Ohhh, you mean Mers-el-Kebir.
  • Options

isam said:

That is very valuable.

What about the Glorious 1st of June?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The Chemical Brothers, Blur, Primal Scream and Radiohead are among the artists urging the government to make it easier for British musicians to tour in the European Union post-Brexit https://trib.al/Wgw1DBC

It’s only possible to beat Brit-agit-prop with Britpop.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Good morning

This is a prestigious sporting event and does anyone want to hand this event to another country, by preventing the organisations officials attending
    If the quarantine rules are necessary to protect us from the risk of importing new variants - which might lead to further restrictions on our daily life, as the Delta variant has - then is it worth waiving them for a single sporting event? Would you have further weeks with restrictions on the weddings of your grandchildren just so UEFA can bring people into the country without quarantine?

If we don't need these rules for a sporting event, then why should everyone else have to follow them?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

I know, amazing.

It’s true.
    This land is his land.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

By bringing your own sneering attitude. This song being rammed down the throats of primary age children is not part of any British values. Other than the one of not knowing what our country is as it misses off NI.
    I’ve no idea about the song and don’t really care. The attitude he had was deeply unpleasant.
    What did I say that you thought sneering?

I am a proud and patriotic Brit, though the British values that I prize are at present subsumed by tawdry Pooterish sentiment.

Being patriotic has never meant supporting the government or its aims. Indeed it is patriotic to oppose the rot going on at the top.
  • Options

isam said:

That is very valuable.

Ultimately that was a French victory so I repress that.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Pieties about others’ sneering after calling someone a fuckwit certainly exemplifies that fine, old British value of hypocrisy.
    Nah - calling someone a fuckwit is a good old fashioned British insult. It’s fairly mild and usually in a semi-affectionate tone.

Sneering is condescending and snobbish to those you perceive as inferior to yourself. No one on this board has any inate superiority over others regardless of their beliefs or achievements.
    Though only one, to my knowledge, majors on his personal pedigree, the arcane structure of particular boarding schools, and his uncanny experience as Mollie Sugden’s bridesmaid.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Why has Sir Keir Starmer let the former Secretary of the Monday Club's Immigration and Repatriation Committee join the Labour Party?

Further proof of his bad judgment, I mean at the time the Monday Club policy was to repatriate all darkies wasn't it?...

I don't like Bercow very much, but he has, tbf, answered that point.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/10/john-bercow-interview-i-may-be-pompous-but-i-am-completely-authentic
    ...the only thing I feel really ashamed about is that, when I joined the Monday Club, I joined its immigration, repatriation and race relations industry subcommittee. I’m deeply ashamed of that.”

So why did he do it? “Yes, what on earth was this north London Jewish boy doing teaming up with a bunch of bigots, racists and crypto-fascists? I think I was rather influenced by my father, who in many respects was a good dad – honest, loyal, hard working, he’s been dead for 33 years last week…” Again, the eyes brim and the voice cracks. “I don’t want to rubbish my dad, but it is possible for Jewish people to be racist, just as it is possible for people of other faiths to be. Dad was a creature of his time. He had a particular view about Commonwealth immigration. One day, I went to see him, and he mentioned Enoch Powell, whom he thought much maligned. I went off and read his [Powell’s] speeches, and I thought: wow, he’s got views about markets and price controls and Northern Ireland, and I fell for that. When you are a young person, you can be attracted by an ideology.”

So what changed? How did his move leftwards begin? “In the Monday Club, I came across people who were hardcore, disgusting racists, and antisemitic, too, and I recoiled, and left. But that was in 1984. I remained strongly Conservative for a long period. I was a Thatcherite until 2001.”...
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 783

isam said:

That is very valuable.
    Agree in many ways. Gisela Stewart, after the EU Referendum spoke rather movingly about this that as a German she could never be English*, but she could be British**. We put walls around this Identity at our peril.

*I personally believe anyone can identify as being English as well, if they want, but anecdotally it seems that people, particularly migrants, might feel more comfortable with British.

** Living in the EU at the time, I had similar feelings. As English, I would never be German but I had a shared political identity with my friends around me. It felt to me, at the time we were just different flavours of European. A minority view, no doubt, but a real one.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

I know, amazing.

Crispin Blunt is the uncle of Emily Blunt and Danny Krueger's momma is Prue Leith.

Why ?
    Every family has at least one embarrassing uncle.
  • Options

isam said:

That is very valuable.

7-0 in ships of the line.

The French started the fine tradition of declaring everything a victory in "Le Moniteur", and the French Navy started a tradition of losing to the RN.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

A lot of us are sneering at this "Great Britain, Strong Nation" for school kids nonsense! It is a step towards this
    This version surely https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ohhib
    That is brilliant. I've never seen that version. Saved.
    The credits are fascinating. I'd forgotten Ian Hislop was a lead writer on Spitting Image. I wonder what happened to the soloist.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

You were Spartacus? It beats my FP Rainbow story that I was there when the GLC abruptly terminated The Stranglers because Hugh Cornwell's teeshirt had a Ford-like logo that said Fuck (or something).
    I remember JJ Burnel offering some bloke out from the stage at the Nashville for some reason or other (or perhaps none). The bloke left.
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

Amazing to see the Irish Party do so well in Sweden as well.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Further proof of his bad judgment, I mean at the time the Monday Club policy was to repatriate all darkies wasn't it?...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/10/john-bercow-interview-i-may-be-pompous-but-i-am-completely-authentic
    ...the only thing I feel really ashamed about is that, when I joined the Monday Club, I joined its immigration, repatriation and race relations industry subcommittee. I’m deeply ashamed of that.”

So why did he do it? “Yes, what on earth was this north London Jewish boy doing teaming up with a bunch of bigots, racists and crypto-fascists? I think I was rather influenced by my father, who in many respects was a good dad – honest, loyal, hard working, he’s been dead for 33 years last week…” Again, the eyes brim and the voice cracks. “I don’t want to rubbish my dad, but it is possible for Jewish people to be racist, just as it is possible for people of other faiths to be. Dad was a creature of his time. He had a particular view about Commonwealth immigration. One day, I went to see him, and he mentioned Enoch Powell, whom he thought much maligned. I went off and read his [Powell’s] speeches, and I thought: wow, he’s got views about markets and price controls and Northern Ireland, and I fell for that. When you are a young person, you can be attracted by an ideology.”

So what changed? How did his move leftwards begin? “In the Monday Club, I came across people who were hardcore, disgusting racists, and antisemitic, too, and I recoiled, and left. But that was in 1984. I remained strongly Conservative for a long period. I was a Thatcherite until 2001.”...
    Terrible, terrible judgment from him, and the fact he stopped being a Thatcherite shows his judgment doesn't get better with age.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Indeed.

The parallels are striking.
    No wonder Charles supports the idea.
    Please withdraw that comment. The implication is deeply unpleasant and uncalled for.
    While we're at it we'd probably better order a load of comment withdrawal forms for @Leon.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Getting children to sing that crap is pathetic , worse even than pretending UK is one country and trying to have the butcher's apron on all goods.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

isam said:

That is very valuable.

The French started the fine tradition of declaring everything a victory in "Le Moniteur", and the French Navy started a tradition of losing to the RN.
    But a strategic defeat in terms of the convoy in dispute.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

I know, amazing.

Why ?
    Every family has at least one embarrassing uncle.
    It was more to do with the fact I was enamoured by Ms Blunt.

So I knew lots of people who worked with Emily Blunt's uncle as well as Crispin Blunt's boss.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Good morning

HMG has just published guidance on travel in and out.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-abroad-from-england-during-coronavirus-covid-19
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

If your vote share was that low, you'd probably go after the spoiled ballot papers, too. Gives them a good case.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pass the sick bucket, that has to be the crappiest idea ever , trying to indoctrinate children , England gets more like North Korea every day.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    10h
    If the govt is serious about reopening fully on July 19th, it needs to start telling the public, now, that July 19th is likely to be at or about the peak in cases & hospitalisations. If it's gonna go at the peak, it needs to tell folk that's the plan.

And what do we think the chances of that are kids?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Amusing the joke in there about the Green Belt being chopped down with Milton Friedman New Town coming soon.

How much longer do we need to wait for that for? 😜
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    This British song has created a rich vein of material from people thinking it was Boris’s idea, and therefore instinctively slagging it off as ‘“unBritish” / “I wouldn’t let my kids sing it”, without realising they’re unknowingly bitching about immigrants trying to promote unity. Brilliant!

‘This British Unity Day or whatever the fuck it is just reinforces my base impression that Tories don't GET Britishness in a very fundamental way. Time was we could have a good, healthy sneer at countries like the US with their classroom loyalty oaths and flag fetishism.’

https://twitter.com/portraitinflesh/status/1407602828961619969?s=21
  • Options

I wonder if the Scotland team are now regretting lying about their covid risk levels.

If they'd been honest they would have had an excuse for losing again.

That from a bellend of bellends, jog on loser.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

That is very valuable.

But a strategic defeat in terms of the convoy in dispute.
    I would have said that was more of a short term effect - the long term effect was to put the French Navy on the back foot. The RN used blockade/cruising to train up its crews, while keeping the French Navy in port, more and more.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

isam said:

Apparently anyone who thinks immigrants/Muslims cannot integrate into the UK should spend some time with me.
    But you/your family chose to come here; people like me who can trace some, indeed, most of their ancestry here back to before the Romans came are maybe just too idle to find somewhere else! Or like the weather!
    Although, as I've posted before, I've got close family who've left these islands and don't intend to come back
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Terrible, terrible judgment from him, and the fact he stopped being a Thatcherite shows his judgment doesn't get better with age.
    If terrible judgment were a bar to a peerage, the Lords would have only a couple of dozen members. And most of Johnson's appointments certainly wouldn't be there.

Not a bad idea, but would need to be applied across the board.
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

Never spotted that before… and I’m a Viz subscriber!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,461
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

What did I say that you thought sneering?

I am a proud and patriotic Brit, though the British values that I prize are at present subsumed by tawdry Pooterish sentiment.

Being patriotic has never meant supporting the government or its aims. Indeed it is patriotic to oppose the rot going on at the top.
    One of the neat things about a constitutional monarchy is that you separate out the things that can be a focus of national unity and embody them in the Queen. That way, electoral politics can do its job of being a focus of national disunity- we only get good government by questioning it, challenging it and sometimes making it change direction when it doesn't want to. Not by giving them a blank cheque until the next General Election.

Have more flags- lovely. Sing more songs- fine, though there's something creepy about the government endorsing them top-down, and OBON Day seems to have the same degree of competence as most things this government does.

But the government doesn't embody the nation. The flags should be there to remind politicians who they serve, to make them humble, not proud. If Boris really wanted to embody the nation, he should have married into the Royal Family when he had the chance.
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

Con 32%
    Lab 24%
    SNP 21%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 5%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 3%
    oth 4%

Why?
    Because.... Tory surge KLAXON!
    Oh yes, of course, the only logical explanation… on PB.

Where’s that Aberdeenshire Tory got to that was always hyping the SCons?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    In my role as sometime PB fashion correspondent, some breaking news

• Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Implied betting chances of England's next opponents:

Germany 61% (German win France don't draw, Germany draw France don't lose)
    France 31% (France do either of above, Hungary win France lose narrowly)
    Hungary 5% (Hungary win France win or Hungary win France lose well/badly, 2-0, 2-0 or above)
    Portugal 3% (Hungary win, Portugal draw)

Imagine they will have their suitcases packed already. Germany will hump them.
  • Options

I assumed most of PB looked like that already.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    edited June 2021
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

If terrible judgment were a bar to a peerage, the Lords would have only a couple of dozen members. And most of Johnson's appointments certainly wouldn't be there.

Would 'terrible judgement' apply to the attractive ladies who got so close to Royalty that they added to the stock, and whose progeny and descendants ended up in the Lords?
  • Options

Fecking hipsters or possibly croc wearers.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Well I'd abolish the unelected House of Lords.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    isam said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

That is brilliant. I've never seen that version. Saved.
    My favourite Spitting Image I’d had been deleted from YouTube - John Majors Acid Day Out. If anyone can find a link I’d be grateful
    Sadly, Britbox have gone all "takedown" since they put Spitting Image up on there.
  • Options
    Something of the Big Sam about this fellow?

https://twitter.com/timesradio/status/1407629501367005184?s=21
  • Options

Stocky said:

Good morning

If the quarantine rules are necessary to protect us from the risk of importing new variants - which might lead to further restrictions on our daily life, as the Delta variant has - then is it worth waiving them for a single sporting event? Would you have further weeks with restrictions on the weddings of your grandchildren just so UEFA can bring people into the country without quarantine?

If we don't need these rules for a sporting event, then why should everyone else have to follow them?
    Tories will be on the make out of it for certain, chumocracy will be involved.
  • Options

Fecking hipsters or possibly croc wearers.
    The moment in the Punisher series when the Frank Castle realises that the waitress in the diner thinks he is a hipster.....
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Nigelb said:

You are a disgusting racist. He is a bigot. I am an impressionable youth.
  • Options

Definite Face/Off vibe going on there.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119094/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
  • Options

I assumed most of PB looked like that already.
    There is that, though I believe there are some baldies in the ranks (I'm thinning a bit myself but I could just about manage no 2).
  • Options

That’s great!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719

Stocky said:

Good morning

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-abroad-from-england-during-coronavirus-covid-19
    Thanks. I've just read that. Nothing has changed has it?
  • Options
    isam said:

That’s great!
    The whole thread is good, though I'm unsure how kosher it all is.
    The double moustache?!
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Good morning

Thanks. I've just read that. Nothing has changed has it?
    Not that I could see but I'm no travel agent. It may be HMG has consolidated previous guidance onto these two new pages so that forthcoming changes can easily be published.
  • Options
    The NHS has published a shiny new video. Black church leaders support Covid vaccination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO7LKJWlFJU
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Definite Face/Off vibe going on there.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119094/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
    What a bunch of absolute fannies.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

For a glorious moment, half-seeing the name of the tweeter, I thought this was how Rik Willis was announcing his re-entry to pb.com.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

For a glorious moment, half-seeing the name of the tweeter, I thought this was how Rik Willis was announcing his re-entry to pb.com.
    I don't think Rik is allowed a computer these days.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Always someone else's fault:

German Chancellor Angela Merkel warned Tuesday that the EU is "backfiring" in its goal to set consistent travel rules as countries take varying approaches to the surge of a new COVID variant in Britain.

Her critical remarks singled out Portugal, which has allowed the entry of British tourists despite the highly infectious Delta virus variant actively circulating in the U.K.

“What I regret is that we have not yet been able to achieve a uniform behavior among the member states in terms of travel restrictions. That is backfiring," Merkel said at a joint press conference in Berlin with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

https://www.politico.eu/article/portugal-travel-coronavirus-united-kingdom-angela-merkel-delta-variant-india/

Perhaps if Germany sequenced more of its positive cases it would have a better handle on the extent of Delta in Germany....

Wait until tens of thousands of infections come back to Germany from the Balearics in a few weeks time.
  • Options
    Heh.

• Options

The news articles say the PM may call elections, but if he dos, there will be elections next September anyway (i.e. as well).

Are we expecting a 2021 election in that case?
    Regarding first query: yes, that is correct. Incidentally, that is the same in Scotland: any extraordinary general elections (there has never been one) would be in addition to the regular ones, only supplanting the next if less than six months away.

Query two: yes, probably. The PM has until the weekend to secure a new basis for government and a budget, but his task is looking grim. He is a trade unionist by trade and is an outstanding negotiator, but he seems to have come to the end of the tracks: the Centre Party (former Agrarians) point blank refuse to negotiate with the Left Party, apparently because of their nasty history of being palsy walsy with East Germany and other communist dictatorships.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited June 2021
    I guess a swing to the Lib-Dems was to be expected following the by election.

For the first time in 6 years voters were actually reminded the Lib-Dems were a "thing" lol...
  • Options

isam said:

That’s great!
    The whole thread is good, though I'm unsure how kosher it all is.
    The double moustache?!
    Blimey that fellow tweets a lot! Took ages to find and it was only done yesterday

The double moustache is funny. Surprised more people haven’t thought of these before.

This discussion has been closed.