Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest voting intention polling following last week’s by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856

Cookie said:

In my role as sometime PB fashion correspondent, some breaking news

For a glorious moment, half-seeing the name of the tweeter, I thought this was how Rik Willis was announcing his re-entry to pb.com.
    I don't think Rik is allowed a computer these days.
    That’s a shame.
    He was very, very, funny.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,474

Cookie said:

For a glorious moment, half-seeing the name of the tweeter, I thought this was how Rik Willis was announcing his re-entry to pb.com.
    That’s a shame.
    He's also a very bad man.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/15361343.richard-willis-was-sentenced-to-16-months-by-lincoln-crown-court-after-admitting-to-sharing-the-images-on-whatsapp-and-facebook/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    A LOT has happened since the Brexit referendum - which was 5 years ago today - yet how we voted still symbolises who we are.

@benatipsosmori from @IpsosMORI writes in @ipaperviews on how the binary divides of Remain and Leave are still in action

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/eu-referendum-five-years-brexit-leave-remain-symbolise-who-we-are-1064829
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

O/T 5 years ago today we voted to leave. Today I am off to London to spend the day on the lash with some of my fellow campaigners to celebrate the anniversary. If anybody sees a very drunken and dishevelled man trying to get on the last train back to Liverpool from Euston tonight, either please help me on or shove me under it depending on how you voted.

Strong Britain, Great Nation,

Strong Britain, Great Nation...

I noticed on the last thread that you sneered at the British values of tolerance, kindness, pride and respect.

Which of those virtues are not worth celebrating and encouraging?
    The virtue of not dictating to primary school children to sing a right wing thinktank's version of a song supposedly to celebrate the nation which pretends that Northern Ireland isn't a thing.

Charles - are you providing succour to this nonsense out of remaining party loyalty, or do you really want us to go American and have a pledge of allegiance every morning in schools?

As Lieutenant Tawny Madison said in Galaxy Quest: Well Fuck That.
    I’m commenting on @Foxy ’s sneering attitude.
    By bringing your own sneering attitude. This song being rammed down the throats of primary age children is not part of any British values. Other than the one of not knowing what our country is as it misses off NI.
    I’ve no idea about the song and don’t really care. The attitude he had was deeply unpleasant.
    What did I say that you thought sneering?

I am a proud and patriotic Brit, though the British values that I prize are at present subsumed by tawdry Pooterish sentiment.

Being patriotic has never meant supporting the government or its aims. Indeed it is patriotic to oppose the rot going on at the top.
    One of the neat things about a constitutional monarchy is that you separate out the things that can be a focus of national unity and embody them in the Queen. That way, electoral politics can do its job of being a focus of national disunity- we only get good government by questioning it, challenging it and sometimes making it change direction when it doesn't want to. Not by giving them a blank cheque until the next General Election.

Have more flags- lovely. Sing more songs- fine, though there's something creepy about the government endorsing them top-down...
    Quite. Well meaning but slightly naff local efforts like this are fine if they stay grassroots.
    Making them government campaigns is silly, or worse.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Why has Sir Keir Starmer let the former Secretary of the Monday Club's Immigration and Repatriation Committee join the Labour Party?

Further proof of his bad judgment, I mean at the time the Monday Club policy was to repatriate all darkies wasn't it?...

I don't like Bercow very much, but he has, tbf, answered that point.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/10/john-bercow-interview-i-may-be-pompous-but-i-am-completely-authentic
    ...the only thing I feel really ashamed about is that, when I joined the Monday Club, I joined its immigration, repatriation and race relations industry subcommittee. I’m deeply ashamed of that.”

So why did he do it? “Yes, what on earth was this north London Jewish boy doing teaming up with a bunch of bigots, racists and crypto-fascists? I think I was rather influenced by my father, who in many respects was a good dad – honest, loyal, hard working, he’s been dead for 33 years last week…” Again, the eyes brim and the voice cracks. “I don’t want to rubbish my dad, but it is possible for Jewish people to be racist, just as it is possible for people of other faiths to be. Dad was a creature of his time. He had a particular view about Commonwealth immigration. One day, I went to see him, and he mentioned Enoch Powell, whom he thought much maligned. I went off and read his [Powell’s] speeches, and I thought: wow, he’s got views about markets and price controls and Northern Ireland, and I fell for that. When you are a young person, you can be attracted by an ideology.”

So what changed? How did his move leftwards begin? “In the Monday Club, I came across people who were hardcore, disgusting racists, and antisemitic, too, and I recoiled, and left. But that was in 1984. I remained strongly Conservative for a long period. I was a Thatcherite until 2001.”...
    Terrible, terrible judgment from him, and the fact he stopped being a Thatcherite shows his judgment doesn't get better with age.
    If terrible judgment were a bar to a peerage, the Lords would have only a couple of dozen members. And most of Johnson's appointments certainly wouldn't be there.

Not a bad idea, but would need to be applied across the board.
    Well I'd abolish the unelected House of Lords.
    As would I, but that's really not the point here.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Scott_xP said:

A LOT has happened since the Brexit referendum - which was 5 years ago today - yet how we voted still symbolises who we are.

@benatipsosmori from @IpsosMORI writes in @ipaperviews on how the binary divides of Remain and Leave are still in action

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/eu-referendum-five-years-brexit-leave-remain-symbolise-who-we-are-1064829

“ Perhaps inevitably, the losers are most unwilling to bury the hatchet.” 👀
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    FPT

John Bercow will not be nominated for a peerage by Sir Keir Starmer despite his defection to the Labour Party.

Sources close to Starmer said that the former Speaker of the House of Commons, the first in two centuries not to be given a seat in the Lords upon retirement, would not be made a peer by the present Labour leadership.

The opposition’s snub to Bercow, 58, effectively destroys any chance he once had of fulfilling his well-publicised ambition of joining other past Speakers in the upper chamber.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caa20c90-d38a-11eb-bd02-4c692e62e3fd?shareToken=17a6930ac80496aa423712b038c2575d

Bercow to jump ship to the Lib-Dems in 5...4..3...2...1...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Definite Face/Off vibe going on there.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119094/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
    What a bunch of absolute fannies.
    Yep, Travolta and Cage aren't really my cup of tea, either.
  • Options

Cookie said:

That’s a shame.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/15361343.richard-willis-was-sentenced-to-16-months-by-lincoln-crown-court-after-admitting-to-sharing-the-images-on-whatsapp-and-facebook/
    Oh god. No. Not him. How awful, and sad.

I was thinking of that gay? sometime Tory activist from East London who got into trouble for some kind of public prank.

His commentary was scabrous and indecently funny.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Cookie said:

That’s a shame.

Eight months in prison for taking and sharing indecent images of children doesn't seem anything like enough.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    GIN1138 said:

FPT

John Bercow will not be nominated for a peerage by Sir Keir Starmer despite his defection to the Labour Party.

Sources close to Starmer said that the former Speaker of the House of Commons, the first in two centuries not to be given a seat in the Lords upon retirement, would not be made a peer by the present Labour leadership.

The opposition’s snub to Bercow, 58, effectively destroys any chance he once had of fulfilling his well-publicised ambition of joining other past Speakers in the upper chamber.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caa20c90-d38a-11eb-bd02-4c692e62e3fd?shareToken=17a6930ac80496aa423712b038c2575d

Bercow to jump ship to the Lib-Dems in 5...4..3...2...1...
    Oh to be a fly on that wall....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,273

Cookie said:

That’s a shame.

I was thinking of that gay? sometime Tory activist from East London who got into trouble for some kind of public prank.

Do you mean Martin Day?
  • Options

Cookie said:

That’s a shame.

Grabcoque.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Good to see Labour closing the gap to six points with the new gold standard, Deltapoll.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

Cookie said:

That’s a shame.

Grabcoque.
    Grabcoque was mint. Pour some shit out for a homie.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Arriba españa

• Options

Cookie said:

That’s a shame.

Grabcoque.
    Yes!
    He is badly missed, in my household at least.
  • Options

Arriba españa

I thought conventional wisdom (HYUFD) was that Spain would oppose it mightily ?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

And you have still not answered my question

Yes, Grant Shapps IS the cousin of Mick Jones from The Clash. (The Only Band That Matters)
    YOU ARE FUCKING KIDDING ME!

That is amazing. Still remember fondly when some skinheads jumped up on the stage at the Rainbow and beat to fuck the support band (Suicide).

Happy days.

Edit: Remote Control tour I believe.
    You were Spartacus? It beats my FP Rainbow story that I was there when the GLC abruptly terminated The Stranglers because Hugh Cornwell's teeshirt had a Ford-like logo that said Fuck (or something).
    I remember JJ Burnel offering some bloke out from the stage at the Nashville for some reason or other (or perhaps none). The bloke left.
    The Stranglers. A curious group. Went from the grunging Black & White to the wierdly poppy The Gospel According to the Meninblack in just a few LPs.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Arriba españa

The mooted invasion of Spain to keep Gibraltar British is a game changer in Spain as this poll shows.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    Nigelb said:

Arriba españa

Spanish Govt will make it pretty challenging for obvious reasons. Spanish hoteliers not so concerned about implications for Catalonia.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,356
    Roger said:

Good to see Labour closing the gap to six points with the new gold standard, Deltapoll.

Thank you for your endorsement.we can now safely conclude its an outlier
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited June 2021
    I hadn't heard about this and I don't like to try to connect online identities to RL identities but from now on I'm just going to assume that any self-identified Conservative Party member posting here is him
  • Options
    🗳️EU membership referendum voting intention:

Not rejoin 51%
    Rejoin 49%

One in seven 2016 Remainers would not vote to rejoin the EU.

One in ten 2016 Leaves would vote to rejoin. https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1407638291415973888/photo/1
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Cookie said:

That’s a shame.

Grabcoque.
    Yes!
    Yes - charismatic poster.

Also miss that 'Noo' one.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,660
    Scott_xP said:

Not rejoin 51%
    Rejoin 49%

One in ten 2016 Leaves would vote to rejoin. https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1407638291415973888/photo/1

What is astonishing is how little opinion has changed. The idea that the country would accept Brexit and sing patriotic songs together while saluting the Dear Leader seems for the birds.

Though I don't think any party will run on Rejoin in the next GE, apart from the SNP.
  • Options

Cookie said:

That’s a shame.

Grabcoque.
    Yes!
    Suspect a few PB households are missing a bit of grabcoque, particularly the circle beard guys.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Not rejoin 51%
    Rejoin 49%

What is astonishing is how little opinion has changed. The idea that the country would accept Brexit and sing patriotic songs together while saluting the Dear Leader seems for the birds.

This is the real Brexit Butthurt. Apparently we're all supposed to pretend it's a fantastic idea being brilliantly executed.
  • Options
    @OldKingCole was asking earlier about Hurst Llama. He is in fine form on Twitter:

Just had a butchers at GBNews live online - weather forecast then adverts designed for morons then some woman talking about sport. Lost patience & logged out. I haven't watched TV for 25 years, I don't think GBNews will change that. TV seems obsolete (1/2)

https://twitter.com/HurstLlama/status/1404340928203137026?s=19
  • Options
    5 years since the referendum and how right the Brexiters were.

The NHS is getting an extra £350m a week, Turkey’s joined the EU, no-one threatened our place in the Single Market, Northern Ireland is fine and we got a better deal than the one we had because we held all the cards.

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1407591855114575877
  • Options
    Don't be down-hearted about Brexit, just look at all the wonderful things that Dan Hannan (who is *never* wrong) assures us will be achieved in the next 4 years:
    https://reaction.life/britain-looks-like-brexit/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

In the first opinion poll since the historic vote of No Confidence in prime minister Stefan Löfven, the Swedish Left Party (renamed Communists) reach their highest numbers in 19 years.

In contrast, the Liberal vote has totally collapsed. There is no way they are going to reach the 4% threshold now.

The news articles say the PM may call elections, but if he dos, there will be elections next September anyway (i.e. as well).

Are we expecting a 2021 election in that case?
    Regarding first query: yes, that is correct. Incidentally, that is the same in Scotland: any extraordinary general elections (there has never been one) would be in addition to the regular ones, only supplanting the next if less than six months away.

Query two: yes, probably. The PM has until the weekend to secure a new basis for government and a budget, but his task is looking grim. He is a trade unionist by trade and is an outstanding negotiator, but he seems to have come to the end of the tracks: the Centre Party (former Agrarians) point blank refuse to negotiate with the Left Party, apparently because of their nasty history of being palsy walsy with East Germany and other communist dictatorships.
    I guess some left wing voters might lend their support to the Greens, to ensure they get above the 4% threshold.

The Liberals aren't loved by anyone however.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Not rejoin 51%
    Rejoin 49%

Though I don't think any party will run on Rejoin in the next GE, apart from the SNP.
    The likely result will be a closer relationship with the single market while remaining outside the EU

I would be content with that as the best compromise
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

This is the real Brexit Butthurt. Apparently we're all supposed to pretend it's a fantastic idea being brilliantly executed.

👍👎Has Brexit been a success or a failure?

Success 31%
    Failure 34%
    Neither 26%

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1407640890794037250/photo/1
  • Options
    Heh.

FYI - I know PB contains many people who possess an innocent mind so if you don't know what pegged/pegging means then do not look it up.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407
    Brexit. The FT has published an article (not paywalled) on statistical differences in trade flows between Britain and Europe since Brexit.

UK and EU data paint a very different picture of the trade flows across the Channel. We can’t safely say if, in the first four months of the year, UK goods exports to the EU dropped by an OK-ish 4.8 per cent compared with the same period last year, as data from the Office for National Statistics show, or plunged by a drastic 27.1 per cent, as Eurostat data on EU imports from the UK claim.
    https://www.ft.com/content/64184dc5-e3c3-4c4c-b4cd-034cfb748816

Some possible reasons are explored but basically it's anyone's guess.

Older PBers may recall my previous banging on about how both Britain and the United States believe they have a trade surplus with each other.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    edited June 2021

FPT:
    > John Bercow will not be nominated for a peerage by Sir Keir Starmer despite his defection to the Labour Party.

what will the longer term outcome of the refusal to grant Bercow a peerage,, Speakers increasingly at the beck and call of the Executive or ones who go completely independent. Nothing much was ever proven against Bercow? wrt the bullying allegations, so I am unsure why he has been refused a seat in the Lords....
    It should mean that Speakers who abuse their uniquely powerful position in order to deny due proceess to their staff will know that they cannot get away with that behaviour and walk away scot-free, without taking responsibility for themselves.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The NHS is getting an extra £350m a week, Turkey’s joined the EU, no-one threatened our place in the Single Market, Northern Ireland is fine and we got a better deal than the one we had because we held all the cards.

The NHS is getting an extra £423m a week.
    No one stopped us from getting a free trade deal.
    Northern Ireland is Northern Ireland.
    We have a far, far better deal now because we held all the cards.

Turkey accession was called off after the attempted coup and repression that followed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

I hadn't heard about this and I don't like to try to connect online identities to RL identities but from now on I'm just going to assume that any self-identified Conservative Party member posting here is him
    You are going to assume any Tory member here is a peadophile? Why?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

FYI - I know PB contains many people who possess an innocent mind so if you don't know what pegged/pegging means then do not look it up.

Nothing wrong with a bit of cribbage.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    2h
    To be very clear - given I misread someone's tweet - I would personally vote Labour in Batley and Spen, as someone who has voted for Labour in every election under every leader since I was 15.

People like me can always be expected to vote Labour. Unfortunately that's not enough.

Unintentionally funny.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The NHS is getting a lot more than £350 m per week extra.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

That’s a shame.

Grabcoque.
    Yes!
    Yes - charismatic poster.

Also miss that 'Noo' one.
    Unfortunately, he would tend to lose the plot by wishing other posters dead.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nothing wrong with a bit cribbage.
    That's what they call it in the Navy ?
  • Options
    This is a pretty remarkable result, and could transform agriculture.

Photovoltaic-driven microbial protein production can use land and sunlight more efficiently than conventional crops
    https://www.pnas.org/content/118/26/e2015025118
    ...Microbial biomass can be cultivated to yield protein-rich feed and food supplements, collectively termed single-cell protein (SCP). Yet, we still lack a quantitative comparison between traditional agriculture and photovoltaic-driven SCP systems in terms of land use and energetic efficiency. Here, we analyze the energetic efficiency of harnessing solar energy to produce SCP from air and water. Our model includes photovoltaic electricity generation, direct air capture of carbon dioxide, electrosynthesis of an electron donor and/or carbon source for microbial growth (hydrogen, formate, or methanol), microbial cultivation, and the processing of biomass and proteins. We show that, per unit of land, SCP production can reach an over 10-fold higher protein yield and at least twice the caloric yield compared with any staple crop. Altogether, this quantitative analysis offers an assessment of the future potential of photovoltaic-driven microbial foods to supplement conventional agricultural production and support resource-efficient protein supply on a global scale...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Don't be down-hearted about Brexit, just look at all the wonderful things that Dan Hannan (who is *never* wrong) assures us will be achieved in the next 4 years:
    https://reaction.life/britain-looks-like-brexit/

A lot of that is already coming true.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,788

Nigelb said:

Arriba españa

Spanish Govt will make it pretty challenging for obvious reasons. Spanish hoteliers not so concerned about implications for Catalonia.
    Only if it is illegal. That's the key issue for them.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

isam said:

The man behind “Great Nation”.

“Mr Singh told Times Radio: “We started the concept in Bradford and West Yorkshire, and it’s been very, very successful indeed, so what we want to look at is taking it across the nation.

“It was something that was born from my dream as a police officer, in terms of what I’d see, in terms of my passion, pride and frustration, and something that I feel needed to be done in this country.

“This country is a brilliant country. I came to this country as a six-year-old kid who couldn’t speak a word of English. My parents were labourers, they worked in a factory and foundry, and there are fantastic people in this country.“

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/government-backs-one-britain-one-073918206.html

I think there's quite a lot of polling evidence of ethnic minority communities having stronger senses of "Britishness" than of being "English" or "Scottish" - perhaps seeing those as ethnic identities?
    My colleagues and friend say I am the most British/English person they know, not just based on my excellent knowledge of history of this country and these isles.

Apparently anyone who thinks immigrants/Muslims cannot integrate into the UK should spend some time for me.
    A positive imperial legacy is that Britishness is a flexible quality and doesn’t - to my mind - denote any ethnicity or birthplace.

That is very valuable.
    It is why I always take a holiday on the 3rd of July because I'm a true patriot whereas so called patriots who sing about two world wars and a world cup wouldn't be able to tell you why the 3rd of July is such an important date in this country's history.

Up there with the 18th of June, 21st of October, and the 25th of July.
    What about the Glorious 1st of June?
    Ultimately that was a French victory so I repress that.
    7-0 in ships of the line.

The French started the fine tradition of declaring everything a victory in "Le Moniteur", and the French Navy started a tradition of losing to the RN.
    But a strategic defeat in terms of the convoy in dispute.
    I would have said that was more of a short term effect - the long term effect was to put the French Navy on the back foot. The RN used blockade/cruising to train up its crews, while keeping the French Navy in port, more and more.
    An interesting perspective, thanks!

I've just been reading this by the way - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Far-Distant-Ships-1793-1815-Revolution/dp/1911512145
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

And at the YMCA!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Arriba españa

Thanks for the inside track from the Cortes, Señor B.
    Can't remember if you subscribe to the common PB notion that the EU is in a permanent froth of pique at Brexit and the UK's rejection. If you do, don't you think this might play a part in an EU (common or individual) response to indyref II?
  • Options

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    2h
    To be very clear - given I misread someone's tweet - I would personally vote Labour in Batley and Spen, as someone who has voted for Labour in every election under every leader since I was 15.

People like me can always be expected to vote Labour. Unfortunately that's not enough.

Unintentionally funny.

How many people do you reckon will report him for admitting to breaking electoral law?
  • Options

isam said:

“Mr Singh told Times Radio: “We started the concept in Bradford and West Yorkshire, and it’s been very, very successful indeed, so what we want to look at is taking it across the nation.

“It was something that was born from my dream as a police officer, in terms of what I’d see, in terms of my passion, pride and frustration, and something that I feel needed to be done in this country.

“This country is a brilliant country. I came to this country as a six-year-old kid who couldn’t speak a word of English. My parents were labourers, they worked in a factory and foundry, and there are fantastic people in this country.“

I think there's quite a lot of polling evidence of ethnic minority communities having stronger senses of "Britishness" than of being "English" or "Scottish" - perhaps seeing those as ethnic identities?
    My colleagues and friend say I am the most British/English person they know, not just based on my excellent knowledge of history of this country and these isles.

Apparently anyone who thinks immigrants/Muslims cannot integrate into the UK should spend some time for me.
    A positive imperial legacy is that Britishness is a flexible quality and doesn’t - to my mind - denote any ethnicity or birthplace.

That is very valuable.
    It is why I always take a holiday on the 3rd of July because I'm a true patriot whereas so called patriots who sing about two world wars and a world cup wouldn't be able to tell you why the 3rd of July is such an important date in this country's history.

If you hold that interpretation you should be calling it La Bataille du 13 prairial an 2, surely.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Deltapoll is likely an outlier, and there's something unusual going on with their methodology anyway: their SNP number is implausibly (and consistently) low, in a fashion that none of the other pollsters match.

The Lib Dems have been flatlining at around 8% for almost the whole of the last decade (Jo Swinson managed to earn them about an extra 3pts at the 2019 GE with the hardline Remain message, for all the good that it did her; that extra support quickly fell off again.) Some kind of revival might be on the cards in the wake of the by-election win; you can make arguments either way, but it's too early to tell.

Hang on, the LDs went from 7.4% to 11.6%, so that's a pretty hefty increase in their vote share - albeit one that resulted in a diminished seat total, and a subsequent reversal.
    It was a blip caused by a unique set of circumstances that have come and gone. I don't think there's anything particularly controversial in pointing this out.
    Oh, I thoroughly agree. But I think you were doing down what was a quite substantial increase in their vote share. To put it in context, they went from 2.3m to 3.7m votes.

One of the slightly amusing things about the LDs is how uncorrelated their seats are with their vote share. So, in 1997, they saw the lowest "third party" share since 1979 (and a lot less than 1974 for example), and yet they more than doubled their seats.

In 2019, they increased their vote total by 50% and saw a reduction in seats. In 2017, by contrast, they lost more than one in ten of their votes, yet increased their seats 50%. Etc.
    Paddy was a turbo-targetter.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Indeed, vide W. Churchill's famous comment anent rum, cribbage and the lash.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Well pegging does come from the tradition of young "Peg Boys" sitting on pegs in Mumbai brothels in order to be sufficiently commodious to accommodate visiting British sailors.

24 lashes for "uncleanliness" if caught.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Arriba españa

Thanks for the inside track from the Cortes, Señor B.
    Can't remember if you subscribe to the common PB notion that the EU is in a permanent froth of pique at Brexit and the UK's rejection. If you do, don't you think this might play a part in an EU (common or individual) response to indyref II?
    Especially with the shiny new emmerdez-vous French consulate and cultural bridgehead on the corner of the High Street and George IV Bridge in Edinburgh.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Hope GB News didn't miss this scoop

• Options
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

That is very valuable.

If you hold that interpretation you should be calling it La Bataille du 13 prairial an 2, surely.
    I hate to say it, but overall, the French have a very fine military record.
  • Options

Oh, that must be the park railings massacred by Beaverbrook.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    Nigelb said:

Photovoltaic-driven microbial protein production can use land and sunlight more efficiently than conventional crops
    ...Microbial biomass can be cultivated to yield protein-rich feed and food supplements, collectively termed single-cell protein (SCP). Yet, we still lack a quantitative comparison between traditional agriculture and photovoltaic-driven SCP systems in terms of land use and energetic efficiency. Here, we analyze the energetic efficiency of harnessing solar energy to produce SCP from air and water. Our model includes photovoltaic electricity generation, direct air capture of carbon dioxide, electrosynthesis of an electron donor and/or carbon source for microbial growth (hydrogen, formate, or methanol), microbial cultivation, and the processing of biomass and proteins. We show that, per unit of land, SCP production can reach an over 10-fold higher protein yield and at least twice the caloric yield compared with any staple crop. Altogether, this quantitative analysis offers an assessment of the future potential of photovoltaic-driven microbial foods to supplement conventional agricultural production and support resource-efficient protein supply on a global scale...

I think I'd rather see cows in a field. Call me old fashioned.

Not much ecology under a field of solar panels.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Well pegging does come from the tradition of young "Peg Boys" sitting on pegs in Mumbai brothels in order to be sufficiently commodious to accommodate visiting British sailors.

I thought the Navy hanged you for it, back in the day.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I knew I should not have asked.
  • Options
    NHS Progress.

Just back from my appointment with the consultant re: Sinus Surgery, which apparently is going to happen in the next 6-8 weeks.

More interestingly he confirmed that my local district hospital has been running at 80-90% of normal capacity and that they are going up to 100% in the next week.

Did the medical history, then got called back in after I had forgotten to tell him about last year's leukemia treatment (now in full remission), and that was the first thing that popped up when he looked at the record. Perhaps trying to forget it slightly too thoroughly.

I am wondering whether the rather over-cautious continued restrictions which have set off the PB high-blood-pressure cluster is actually about protecting the NHS to help things ramp back up more, or even if the life-saving balance is now that way.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Last night I almost bought some Ralph Lauren tennis gear. Looking at the model in the ad I thought ‘oh that’s Son Heung Min of Spurs!’ then internally lambasted myself for racially stereotyping, they don’t all look the same etc

But it is him!

https://twitter.com/dieblume0604/status/1407452462638788613?s=21
  • Options
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Nigelb said:

Arriba españa

Wisdom and FUDHY = dissonance
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not much ecology in most intensively farmed agricultural land either.

But if you could feed the world with half the area of land currently used for agriculture, then you could return the other half of the land to wilderness, which would be exciting.

You'd have a lot more ecology with half of agricultural land rewilded, than we have at present.
  • Options

We live in hell.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Arriba españa

Wisdom and FUDHY = dissonance
    Yes the clueless wonders are in for a shock.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I knew I should not have asked.
    I did warn you!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I know it's a long shot but does anyone have a trébuchet I can borrow?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I don't think that's true.

There's nothing to prevent combination with a wildflower meadow, for example.

Or sheep, if that is your preference (given the tone on PB this morning).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,981
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I could have done well without that information.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes, Grant Shapps IS the cousin of Mick Jones from The Clash. (The Only Band That Matters)

That is amazing. Still remember fondly when some skinheads jumped up on the stage at the Rainbow and beat to fuck the support band (Suicide).

Happy days.

You were Spartacus? It beats my FP Rainbow story that I was there when the GLC abruptly terminated The Stranglers because Hugh Cornwell's teeshirt had a Ford-like logo that said Fuck (or something).
    I remember JJ Burnel offering some bloke out from the stage at the Nashville for some reason or other (or perhaps none). The bloke left.
    The Stranglers. A curious group. Went from the grunging Black & White to the wierdly poppy The Gospel According to the Meninblack in just a few LPs.
    I booked the Stranglers to play at our Students Union in Hull… they got a better offer to tour Germany at the last minute so the agent sent Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers instead… May 7th 1977… they caused a riot…NME write-up can still be found online… was summonsed to Principal’s office on the Monday to explain paraphernalia and discarded condoms in the changing room used by the band… was the last gig allowed on site for many a year…
    Hope you have the paraphernalia and discarded condoms framed..

Would make an interesting segment on Antiques Roadshow.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Stocky said:

Good morning

Burley is having a tantrum on Sky over the VIP UEFA officials being allowed into the Country for the Euro final at Wembley, when UK citizens cannot go abroad

Sky interviewed labour's John Healey who fell into the narrative by saying this is typical behaviour by this government of favouring their friends as Dominic Cummings affirms, but then Sky singularly failed to ask the question of him, labour and indeed Burley herself, that are they willing to hand the prestigious finals to Bucharest, as that is the consequence of banning these officials

This is another example of poor journalism and seeking another 'gotcha'

UK citizens can go abroad.

It's a matter of what they have to do when they get back.
    But that is not the point

This is a prestigious sporting event and does anyone want to hand this event to another country, by preventing the organisations officials attending
    I'd not mind. I like a big event, but officials dictating exemptions to national rules? Its petty power pushing.
  • Options
    A police officer has been convicted of the manslaughter of the former professional footballer Dalian Atkinson, after firing an electric stun gun into him for 33 seconds and kicking him twice in the head as he lay on the ground.

PC Benjamin Monk of the West Mercia force, was convicted of the killing by a jury at Birmingham crown court.

It is the British equivalent of the George Floyd case, and the conviction raises urgent questions about the troubled legitimacy of British policing.

Monk was accused of lying in court about his account, and of kicking and stamping on Atkinson’s head while he was barely conscious on the ground.

Monk is the first officer convicted of manslaughter during the course of his duties in over three decades

Atkinson was kicked with such force his blood was found in the laces of Monk’s police issue boots.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/23/police-officer-guilty-of-manslaughter-of-ex-footballer-dalian-atkinson?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    The embarrassing antivaxxery from the PB zerocovidians on here yesterday might come as a surprise to the ultra-dovish Professor Pantsdown, who has been on the airwaves this morning telling us how effective the vaccines are against Delta.

Funny old world.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Good morning

Burley is having a tantrum on Sky over the VIP UEFA officials being allowed into the Country for the Euro final at Wembley, when UK citizens cannot go abroad

Sky interviewed labour's John Healey who fell into the narrative by saying this is typical behaviour by this government of favouring their friends as Dominic Cummings affirms, but then Sky singularly failed to ask the question of him, labour and indeed Burley herself, that are they willing to hand the prestigious finals to Bucharest, as that is the consequence of banning these officials

This is a prestigious sporting event and does anyone want to hand this event to another country, by preventing the organisations officials attending
    I'd not mind. I like a big event, but officials dictating exemptions to national rules? Its petty power pushing.
    I don't agree. We're supposed to be removing the rules, there's been many "trial" events throughout lifting the lockdown that have had exemptions to the rules.

Its a problem that we're not lifting lockdown fast enough, its not a problem that certain events are trialling different rules before they get rolled out to everybody.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062199/

I do not see the connection or am I missing it
    If, as the empirical evidence suggests, you find watching Sky News annoying T is helpfully pointing out that it's possible to configure your television so that YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH IT.
    I watch all channels and will comment as I like

Point of order: the stand-in final host is Budapest, not Bucharest.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062199/

I do not see the connection or am I missing it
    If, as the empirical evidence suggests, you find watching Sky News annoying T is helpfully pointing out that it's possible to configure your television so that YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH IT.
    I watch all channels and will comment as I like

Point of order: the stand-in final host is Budapest, not Bucharest.
    Thanks - tempus fugit and getting even quicker
  • Options

Brexit. The FT has published an article (not paywalled) on statistical differences in trade flows between Britain and Europe since Brexit.

UK and EU data paint a very different picture of the trade flows across the Channel. We can’t safely say if, in the first four months of the year, UK goods exports to the EU dropped by an OK-ish 4.8 per cent compared with the same period last year, as data from the Office for National Statistics show, or plunged by a drastic 27.1 per cent, as Eurostat data on EU imports from the UK claim.
    https://www.ft.com/content/64184dc5-e3c3-4c4c-b4cd-034cfb748816

Some possible reasons are explored but basically it's anyone's guess.

Older PBers may recall my previous banging on about how both Britain and the United States believe they have a trade surplus with each other.

The difference seems to be that ONS no longer counts imports and exports within the same company, Eurostat does. Hence integrated supply chains being disrupted across the North Sea no longer show. It explains why the discrepancy is biggest in UK manufactured exports:

These figures must include some stockpiling effects, but the discrepancy between ONS and Eurostat on manufactures stands out:

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Good morning

I don't agree. We're supposed to be removing the rules, there's been many "trial" events throughout lifting the lockdown that have had exemptions to the rules.

Its a problem that we're not lifting lockdown fast enough, its not a problem that certain events are trialling different rules before they get rolled out to everybody.
    If this was really about proving routes out that would be great.

Sadly it looks far more like providing exceptions for popular events to try and maintain support for keeping restrictions on everyone and everything else as long as possible.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Prof. Devi Sridhar
    @devisridhar
    ·
    1h
    Accurate, fast saliva-sample testing is the future- alongside wastewater testing.

Only if the results are treated with proportionality and balance and not shroud-waving zero covid panic every single time a person tests positive.

Which is what will happen.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783

tlg86 said:

The government deserves a huge serving of shit over the decision to let UEFA hanger-oners in without quarantine.

They'll be no threat to us here in the UK - as long as they don't hang around any Scotland players.....
    They will be too busy slapping each other's backs and stuffing their gobs to have face-to-face contact
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

I know, amazing.

What next? Woody Guthrie is the grandfather of Mark Francois?
    Crispin Blunt is the uncle of Emily Blunt and Danny Krueger's momma is Prue Leith.

The former connection really blew my mind.
    As a pupil barrister I worked on a building arbitration case in the Lake District where Emily Blunt's father, David Blunt was on the other side. He's now a WC and my pupil master a judge.
  • Options

A police officer has been convicted of the manslaughter of the former professional footballer Dalian Atkinson, after firing an electric stun gun into him for 33 seconds and kicking him twice in the head as he lay on the ground.

PC Benjamin Monk of the West Mercia force, was convicted of the killing by a jury at Birmingham crown court.

It is the British equivalent of the George Floyd case, and the conviction raises urgent questions about the troubled legitimacy of British policing.

Monk was accused of lying in court about his account, and of kicking and stamping on Atkinson’s head while he was barely conscious on the ground.

Monk is the first officer convicted of manslaughter during the course of his duties in over three decades

Atkinson was kicked with such force his blood was found in the laces of Monk’s police issue boots.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/23/police-officer-guilty-of-manslaughter-of-ex-footballer-dalian-atkinson?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Is this connected to the trebuchet?

Still, 'the first officer convicted of manslaughter during the course of his duties in over three decades' must mean the cops are pretty clean, right?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

The embarrassing antivaxxery from the PB zerocovidians on here yesterday might come as a surprise to the ultra-dovish Professor Pantsdown, who has been on the airwaves this morning telling us how effective the vaccines are against Delta.

Funny old world.

But is it statistically significant?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not much ecology in most intensively farmed agricultural land either.

But if you could feed the world with half the area of land currently used for agriculture, then you could return the other half of the land to wilderness, which would be exciting.

You'd have a lot more ecology with half of agricultural land rewilded, than we have at present.
    Yes, that is a reasonable argument (which can also be made for current intensive agriculture), but only if twice as much food doesn't lead to twice as many people (or people twice the girth).

Of course, solar panels might not be the most efficient method in the UK - perhaps it could all be done in high rise sheds with wind power.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

I know, amazing.

What next? Woody Guthrie is the grandfather of Mark Francois?
    Crispin Blunt is the uncle of Emily Blunt and Danny Krueger's momma is Prue Leith.

The former connection really blew my mind.
    As a pupil barrister I worked on a building arbitration case in the Lake District where Emily Blunt's father, David Blunt was on the other side. He's now a WC and my pupil master a judge.
    You may not have liked the man but it's no justification for calling him that.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Good morning

Sadly it looks far more like providing exceptions for popular events to try and maintain support for keeping restrictions on everyone and everything else as long as possible.
    From the sounds of it 19 July lifting of lockdown will go ahead, which is a month too late but better late than never.

And the government has confirmed its looking at lifting travel restrictions too, not tightening them.

So not throwing away a major event by enforcing rules that are potentially being scrapped two weeks later seems proportional to me. I'd rather see more lifting of lockdown than less.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

maaarsh said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Good morning

From the sounds of it 19 July lifting of lockdown will go ahead, which is a month too late but better late than never.

And the government has confirmed its looking at lifting travel restrictions too, not tightening them.

So not throwing away a major event by enforcing rules that are potentially being scrapped two weeks later seems proportional to me. I'd rather see more lifting of lockdown than less.
    The noises being made on July 19th are frankly less warm than the talk about June 21st was on the 25th of May. The people involved in these decisions are now well past being entitled to the benefit of the doubt. Given the level of error now clear in the models used, if they were really now following the data they would be unlocking on the 7th.
  • Options

Still, 'the first officer convicted of manslaughter during the course of his duties in over three decades' must mean the cops are pretty clean, right?
    Yes as Hillsborough shows.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    OMG, I've just found out that Andrew Yang was favourite for the Dem nominee for NYC Mayor!

Like @ 1.21 level of favourite

What the actual fuck?

That was a quite astronomical sum of free money I missed out on. I hope other PB denizens piled on to oppose him.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Hang on, Hillsborough was about race?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Happy days.

I booked the Stranglers to play at our Students Union in Hull… they got a better offer to tour Germany at the last minute so the agent sent Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers instead… May 7th 1977… they caused a riot…NME write-up can still be found online… was summonsed to Principal’s office on the Monday to explain paraphernalia and discarded condoms in the changing room used by the band… was the last gig allowed on site for many a year…
    Hope you have the paraphernalia and discarded condoms framed..

Would make an interesting segment on Antiques Roadshow.

Fiona will be all over it!

• Options
    edited June 2021
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

I don't think that's true.

There's nothing to prevent combination with a wildflower meadow, for example.

Or sheep, if that is your preference (given the tone on PB this morning).
    Solar 'farms' have done this - I think there is even a solar panel seed mix available - but I'm thinking mainly of the area directly under each panel.

It depends on whether they mean the exact area of a solar panel vs the same exact area of crop, or whether they mean a field of solar panels vs a field of crops.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

To be clear, with my earlier point, I wasn't saying British policing is 'good'. British policing is Cressida Dick. But the problem isn't typically that the British police are habitually killing schizophrenic black ex-footballers, or indeed anyone else.
  • Options
    thestrandthestrand Posts: 20

maaarsh said:

kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Good morning

Mate please dont believe everything you read in the papers have you learned nothing this past year
This discussion has been closed.