Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest voting intention polling following last week’s by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408

OT rant WTF do courts reuse case numbers? Besides using a format like YYYYnnnn which is limited to 10,000 unique numbers each year.

Which Courts? I've not come across duplicates before.
    I was looking at the court listings for the Ladbrokes case in Wood Green. Googling one of the case numbers produced a completely different case from Preston.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Cookie said:

My guess is that thestrand is not long for PB. Has a remarkably similar MO to the trollbot who popped up a few nights again, whose name escapes me.

The previous one was called thespeaker.

Lesson for Vlad's sockpuppets looking to spread fear and division: first turn up, introduce yourself, spend a few years making pertinent and/or witty points and THEN start on the disinformation campaign.

If your first post is a transparent attempt to sow fear via some poorly sourced rumour or some data analysis which even Sky news would scoff at, you will not be believed.

Oh, and use capital letters properly.
    There's a danger of going deep cover on PB that you go native.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    Cookie said:

My guess is that thestrand is not long for PB. Has a remarkably similar MO to the trollbot who popped up a few nights again, whose name escapes me.

Lesson for Vlad's sockpuppets looking to spread fear and division: first turn up, introduce yourself, spend a few years making pertinent and/or witty points and THEN start on the disinformation campaign.

If your first post is a transparent attempt to sow fear via some poorly sourced rumour or some data analysis which even Sky news would scoff at, you will not be believed.

thespeaker – that's the fella! Cheers.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856

@SeanT ?
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

The embarrassing antivaxxery from the PB zerocovidians on here yesterday might come as a surprise to the ultra-dovish Professor Pantsdown, who has been on the airwaves this morning telling us how effective the vaccines are against Delta.

Funny old world.

Ferguson has actually had quite a balanced view on Covid throughout the pandemic I think
    He came to the early conclusion that getting it made you effectively immune (to Covid and law). Cock based reasoning.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

moonshine said:

More than 150 workers at a Houston hospital system have resigned or been fired after refusing to get a COVID-19 vaccine.

Houston Methodist told its employees in April that they had to get vaccinated by 7 June, the first major US healthcare system to make the jabs compulsory.

Some 178 people refused and were suspended without pay for two weeks.

During that time, 153 of the group, who still refused, either resigned or were fired.

Also in June, 117 employees took the hospital system to court over the requirement, saying their situation was similar to the medical experiments performed on unwilling victims in Nazi concentration camps during the Second World War.

But on 12 June US District Judge Lynn Hughes threw the case out and said the comparison to concentration camp medical experiments was "reprehensible".

She also said that the employees' lawsuit had falsely claimed the vaccines were experimental and dangerous.

If the employees did not like the vaccine rule, they could work elsewhere, the judge added.

https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-150-hospital-workers-lose-their-jobs-after-refusing-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-in-houston-12339593

What to make of Morgan Stanley. “Back at your desk by September or you’re fired”.
    Now combined with “entry to our building is prohibited unless you can prove two vaccines received”.

They’re gonna get sued aren’t they
    Vaccine rollout will be completed by September.

I make from that, that their employees should get their vaccine doses, or start looking for another job. Seems fair enough to me. Free choice for all concerned.
    Free choice if they're offering redundancy. I presume that is not on the table.
    That's an interesting question, as to whether that should need to be offered?

Its not really redundancy is it - since the position is still available and its their choice not to meet the requirements they need to, in order to turn up for work.

If someone stops turning up to work, then that's not a case of redundancy.
    Comes down to if the new requirement is reasonable. You can't move people's office 2 hours away and pretend nothing has changed. Clearly a judgement call if this requirement is reasonable, but unless every company goes this way I don't see how you can't say it's a company choice and they should have to pay people off if this is what they want to do.

I'm not sure your example of stopping turning up to work is valid - in this case the employee could turn up every day and be refused entry by the employer. And companies definitely can't change T&Cs and requirements mid-employment and pretend that's on the employee to conform to it.
    I don’t know US employment law but I would be astounded if this held up in a UK employment tribunal, unless there was new legislation specifically concerning it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,277

maaarsh said:

moonshine said:

More than 150 workers at a Houston hospital system have resigned or been fired after refusing to get a COVID-19 vaccine.

Houston Methodist told its employees in April that they had to get vaccinated by 7 June, the first major US healthcare system to make the jabs compulsory.

During that time, 153 of the group, who still refused, either resigned or were fired.

Also in June, 117 employees took the hospital system to court over the requirement, saying their situation was similar to the medical experiments performed on unwilling victims in Nazi concentration camps during the Second World War.

But on 12 June US District Judge Lynn Hughes threw the case out and said the comparison to concentration camp medical experiments was "reprehensible".

She also said that the employees' lawsuit had falsely claimed the vaccines were experimental and dangerous.

If the employees did not like the vaccine rule, they could work elsewhere, the judge added.

https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-150-hospital-workers-lose-their-jobs-after-refusing-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-in-houston-12339593

What to make of Morgan Stanley. “Back at your desk by September or you’re fired”.
    Now combined with “entry to our building is prohibited unless you can prove two vaccines received”.

I make from that, that their employees should get their vaccine doses, or start looking for another job. Seems fair enough to me. Free choice for all concerned.

Its not really redundancy is it - since the position is still available and its their choice not to meet the requirements they need to, in order to turn up for work.

Hmm. The vaccine wasn't required when they took the job though. It's a bit like if an employer changed someone's job so that it now required a driving licence, but hadn't before.

I think that would be a redundancy situation.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    TimT said:

sarissa said:

Nigelb said:

This is a pretty remarkable result, and could transform agriculture.

Photovoltaic-driven microbial protein production can use land and sunlight more efficiently than conventional crops
    https://www.pnas.org/content/118/26/e2015025118
    ...Microbial biomass can be cultivated to yield protein-rich feed and food supplements, collectively termed single-cell protein (SCP). Yet, we still lack a quantitative comparison between traditional agriculture and photovoltaic-driven SCP systems in terms of land use and energetic efficiency. Here, we analyze the energetic efficiency of harnessing solar energy to produce SCP from air and water. Our model includes photovoltaic electricity generation, direct air capture of carbon dioxide, electrosynthesis of an electron donor and/or carbon source for microbial growth (hydrogen, formate, or methanol), microbial cultivation, and the processing of biomass and proteins. We show that, per unit of land, SCP production can reach an over 10-fold higher protein yield and at least twice the caloric yield compared with any staple crop. Altogether, this quantitative analysis offers an assessment of the future potential of photovoltaic-driven microbial foods to supplement conventional agricultural production and support resource-efficient protein supply on a global scale...

Soylent Green is People!!
    @ Nigelb. A friend has me looking at investments in a particular company's vertical farming. Sealed 5000 m2 unit, fully automated, 30+ layers, producing unbelievable yields of leafy greens. Can be built on brown sites in inner cities/inner 'burbs to reduce transport costs, grow to order for local supermarkets and restaurants; high energy and water efficiency, no pesticides. Pretty cool.
    That sounds more consumer friendly than making gloop.

Wasn't there some scheme to use CHP (gas) plants with this kind of thing?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,256
    edited June 2021
    Nothing to see here. Just a triangular UFO the size of Ireland hovering off Mexico

"I’ve never been spooked by a UFO video or picture before....Until now ⏭

Huge triangle UFO caught by a NOAA satellite...Visible for 7 hours...Catalina Island....

Someone debunk this plz

#ufotwitter #ufos #ufo #uap #uso"

https://twitter.com/528vibes/status/1407453584921350149?s=20

WTF is it? A weird glitch? Optical illusion? Photoshop? I'm going with a hoax by the Youtuber, but it is well done. Just the right amount of fuzziness and Wow
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,575

TimT said:

sarissa said:

Nigelb said:

Photovoltaic-driven microbial protein production can use land and sunlight more efficiently than conventional crops
    ...Microbial biomass can be cultivated to yield protein-rich feed and food supplements, collectively termed single-cell protein (SCP). Yet, we still lack a quantitative comparison between traditional agriculture and photovoltaic-driven SCP systems in terms of land use and energetic efficiency. Here, we analyze the energetic efficiency of harnessing solar energy to produce SCP from air and water. Our model includes photovoltaic electricity generation, direct air capture of carbon dioxide, electrosynthesis of an electron donor and/or carbon source for microbial growth (hydrogen, formate, or methanol), microbial cultivation, and the processing of biomass and proteins. We show that, per unit of land, SCP production can reach an over 10-fold higher protein yield and at least twice the caloric yield compared with any staple crop. Altogether, this quantitative analysis offers an assessment of the future potential of photovoltaic-driven microbial foods to supplement conventional agricultural production and support resource-efficient protein supply on a global scale...

@ Nigelb. A friend has me looking at investments in a particular company's vertical farming. Sealed 5000 m2 unit, fully automated, 30+ layers, producing unbelievable yields of leafy greens. Can be built on brown sites in inner cities/inner 'burbs to reduce transport costs, grow to order for local supermarkets and restaurants; high energy and water efficiency, no pesticides. Pretty cool.

Compare the investment cost to return with a normal farm.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    moonshine said:

Yes. But they will win.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

OT rant WTF do courts reuse case numbers? Besides using a format like YYYYnnnn which is limited to 10,000 unique numbers each year.

Which Courts? I've not come across duplicates before.
    I was looking at the court listings for the Ladbrokes case in Wood Green. Googling one of the case numbers produced a completely different case from Preston.
    If that's a criminal case then that would explain my lack of familiarity with their numbering system
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nothing to see here. Just a triangular UFO the size of Ireland hovering off Mexico

Huge triangle UFO caught by a NOAA satellite...Visible for 7 hours...Catalina Island....

Someone debunk this plz

WTF is it? A weird glitch? Optical illusion? Photoshop? I'm going with a hoax by the Youtuber, but it is well done. Just the right amount of fuzziness and Wow

There are several downward looking satellites that are accessible to the public that have overlap. Shouldn't they first check that before making outlandish claims about UFOs?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

There are several downward looking satellites that are accessible to the public that have overlap. Shouldn't they first check that before making outlandish claims about UFOs?
    Finally decided to click on a “UFO” link.
    What an amazing waste of time.

No, a vessel “the size of Ireland” did not suddenly appear over Mexico.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

You get strange processing glitches in satellite data all the time. It looks like the IR channel to me. If there was anything there it would be damn obvious in the visible channel, trivially easy to find, but curiously absent.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

sarissa said:

Nigelb said:

I am not sure. These units do not rely on that. They are modular so, at least in theory, scalable to market demand. But not cheap to build. However, if the numbers are to be believed, ROI is 2+ years from commissioning.
  • Options
    MattW said:

TimT said:

sarissa said:

Nigelb said:

Compare the investment cost to return with a normal farm.
    Not everything can be grown outdoors. There's plenty of fancy greenhouses growing tomatoes in Holland...

• Options
    Andy_JS said:
    NZ look value.

Edit six down...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,665

Andy_JS said:
    NZ look value.

Edit six down...
    Most of the £50 million worth of bets are probably originating in India.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,820

RobD said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

I sense a conspiracy.

Private companies can now put stuff into space more efficiently than NASA can.
    The USA public will not tolerate American service people coming home from overseas conflicts in body bags.
    Boeing cannot sell all the planes it makes.

I conclude the UFO stuff is just the American "Military-Industrial Complex" trying to justify its budget.
  • Options

RobD said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

lol

I actually said it is a hoax. That's the only one you click on?

Do you think the US government and establishment has gone mad? If you don't. then you have to explain stuff like this some other way:

"In recent weeks, the author and podcaster Sam Harris, in no fewer than three separate podcasts, has stated repeatedly and unambiguously that someone in or with connections to the U.S. government has personally reached out to him so that he can begin to wrap his brain around the fact that UFOs represent a non-human intelligence and think about how he might help prepare the public for that disclosure."

Sam Harris is a kind of American Richard Dawkins, a famous skeptic and rationalist. His entire career is built on pragmatic empiricism, and sensible doubt. He has 1.4m followers. Why s he saying stuff like this, and risking ridicule, and the loss of his reputation? Unless he believes it, or he is part of some massive conspiracy?

He said this to Ricky Gervais:

“This is probably premature to even talk about this, but I’ve had someone reach out to me and has assured me that I’m going to be on a Zoom call with, you know, former heads of the CIA and Office of Naval Research and people whose bona fide are very easy to track, and they’re concerned about the messaging around all of this to the public, and dampening down panic and conspiracy theories. But the … what is being promised here is a disclosure that is frankly, either the most alarming or the most interesting thing in the world, depending on how you take it, but it’s not a representation of the facts that will give scientific skeptics any comfort, and that’s just … we’re faced with the prospect of having to apologize to the people we’ve been laughing at for the last fifty years who have been alleging that they’ve been abducted or that cattle have been anally probed, pick your punch line.”

https://medium.com/on-the-trail-of-the-saucers/what-say-you-sam-harris-who-called-you-details-please-3cebb3d7baa1
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    People interested in PC Games and/or Cancel Culture: Does anyone have a clue what the heck has happened to cause such furore with Factorio and it's Dev?

This is one of my favourite games in recent years,
    has consistently had overwhelming positive reviews on Steam and has been kind of the gold standard for it's genre that's spawned many copycats, which has nothing to do with politics whatsoever; but a s##tstorm seems to have kicked off online with people calling for it to be Cancelled and I'm in the dark as to what happened.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

If there was anything to see plenty of people would have seen it at that size and length of time. Wait for the high quality photos, with the number of phones in use there would be plenty.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

No idea - but Lue Elizondo reckons the US has satellite evidence too

In case you missed this last night - he was asked what would he expect the reaction to be if the world knew what he had seen from his job

https://twitter.com/ufobelievers/status/1407604925853540352
  • Options

People interested in PC Games and/or Cancel Culture: Does anyone have a clue what the heck has happened to cause such furore with Factorio and it's Dev?

has consistently had overwhelming positive reviews on Steam and has been kind of the gold standard for it's genre that's spawned many copycats, which has nothing to do with politics whatsoever; but a s##tstorm seems to have kicked off online with people calling for it to be Cancelled and I'm in the dark as to what happened.

This has a summary, but I've never read anything from this site before so not sure if it is massively biased or not

https://nichegamer.com/2021/06/20/attempts-to-cancel-factorio-dev-backfire-players-and-positive-reviews-swell/
  • Options
    edited June 2021

This seems like a detailed write-up. https://nichegamer.com/2021/06/20/attempts-to-cancel-factorio-dev-backfire-players-and-positive-reviews-swell/
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

If there was anything to see plenty of people would have seen it at that size and length of time. Wait for the high quality photos, with the number of phones in use there would be plenty.

Yes, of course

The UFOlogical theory is that these craft have some kind of masking or cloaking device. But in that case, why doesn't it work very well? These alien dudes can supposedly fly faster than light, surely they can hide behind a mountain if they want?

The lack of clear, unambiguous evidence - especially photos - is a huge question mark over this whole flap. And, if all we had were these grainy videos and rubbish photos, I would dismiss it out of hand

But that is not the case. There is more. The TRULY interesting thing here is not the fuzzy data, it is the reaction of clever, powerful, informed people in elite American circles, who are behaving in a peculiar or alarmed way, indicating that they see something we don't, yet. Check Sam Harris, linked below
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

This seems a decent overview https://nichegamer.com/2021/06/20/attempts-to-cancel-factorio-dev-backfire-players-and-positive-reviews-swell/
  • Options
    Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

In case you missed this last night - he was asked what would he expect the reaction to be if the world knew what he had seen from his job

Yes, I saw that. Bewildering. That's the furthest he's gone to saying Yes, it's not human

WTF is going on in the US?
  • Options
    RobD said:

This has a summary, but I've never read anything from this site before so not sure if it is massively biased or not

https://nichegamer.com/2021/06/20/attempts-to-cancel-factorio-dev-backfire-players-and-positive-reviews-swell/
    I liked his alleged response
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429

maaarsh said:

moonshine said:

Hmm. The vaccine wasn't required when they took the job though. It's a bit like if an employer changed someone's job so that it now required a driving licence, but hadn't before.

I think that would be a redundancy situation.
    Varying the terms of employment without the consent of the employee will kick off legal issue, in many countries.

Hence, in the UK, mandatory vaccinations for care home workers got kicked up to government level.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429

Cookie said:

Very well said.

Could hardly be more obvious, than if the next one suddenly turns up called thesoviet.
    Alot of fun can be had with Russian trolls - reply with the Putin-gay-icon stuff.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

Yes, I saw that. Bewildering. That's the furthest he's gone to saying Yes, it's not human

It was quite the moment listening to that for sure
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thanks. That's quite a detailed review, but I'd never heard of that site and after Googling it the guy behind the website seems to be very "Alt Right" so I doubt it's impartial.

https://twitter.com/brandonorselli?s=09
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,700
    Scotland:

There have been 2,969 new cases of Covid-19 reported in Scotland in the past 24 hours.

According to Scottish Government statistics, there have been five new deaths in the same period.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/19393062.coronavirus-scotland-2-969-new-cases-24-hours-five-reported-deaths/
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

A couple of weeks ago I posted a video from an ex-USAF officer about a top secret base that had an even more top secret use at night. He mentioned in passing that the Pentagon was happy to "no comment" UFO sightings that were actually of a new spy plane they were developing.

UFO reports, or at least the ones you post, seem to come from the sort of places that develop advanced weaponry: America, Russia and China. They also launch satellites and have bits of rocket fall back to Earth. So my guess is that any UFOs that are not hoaxes are probably going to turn up at an arms fair one day.

Whatever happened to the Loch Ness Monster?
  • Options
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

Yes, of course

The UFOlogical theory is that these craft have some kind of masking or cloaking device. But in that case, why doesn't it work very well? These alien dudes can supposedly fly faster than light, surely they can hide behind a mountain if they want?

The lack of clear, unambiguous evidence - especially photos - is a huge question mark over this whole flap. And, if all we had were these grainy videos and rubbish photos, I would dismiss it out of hand

But that is not the case. There is more. The TRULY interesting thing here is not the fuzzy data, it is the reaction of clever, powerful, informed people in elite American circles, who are behaving in a peculiar or alarmed way, indicating that they see something we don't, yet. Check Sam Harris, linked below
    I take all of that on board, and don't dismiss it, but at the moment the stuff is really all fuzzy pics + if you knew what high ups knew!!! I shall wait and see. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence if you are being empirical.

There is in existence great expertise in physics, maths, engineering and interpretation of electronic data. Not least in the USA.

I am waiting for the peer reviewed academic papers confirming the data; and I am waiting for the same people to publish the popular science spin offs.

The academic papers guarantee a stellar reputation, up there with Einstein, and the popular science books, if written by the same people with proper credentials, guarantees a massive fortune. Publishers will have their tongues hanging out and their chequebooks offering carte blanche.

Still waiting with a completely open mind. BTW delusionalism can happen with any group, however bright.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    What an absolute third rate dump, close it down for the greater good.

Oxford University students are to establish a group of “sensitivity readers” to review articles for their publications.

At a vote last month students supported the “need for better editing” at Oxford’s student papers, and proposed a website that would check submissions.

Cherwell, a publication whose alumni include Evelyn Waugh, Graham Greene and WH Auden, is independent. The Oxford Student, established in 1991, is owned by the students’ union but has independence through a charter.

The union cannot intervene in Cherwell, which was founded in 1920. Instead, it is thought that any “sensitivity board” could be there for papers to consult if editors wanted to. Cherwell said it would welcome the plans as a resource.

The broadcaster Michael Crick, who edited the paper while at New College, compared it to a government asking to view newspapers before publication. “The answer to all of these things is pluralism,” he told The Daily Telegraph. “If you’re going to have a boring, dull, vetted newspaper, nobody’s going to read it.”

The motion put to the students’ union cited a Cherwell article defending the music of Richard Wagner, which was taken down after students complained it was antisemitic. It said: “The need for better editing in student papers but also in JCR [junior common room] affairs, society publications, and other areas of Oxford life is clear from the amount of ‘scandals’, that is, problematic articles being published. These could represent a certain group of people unfairly or inaccurately, be implicitly racist or sexist, or just generally inaccurate and insensitive.”.”

The Keble College student who proposed the idea, Ellen Hendry, told the council meeting that sensitivity advice could be crowdsourced, and take the form of an elected council who read and give their opinions on articles. If it became widely used, the “sensitivity readers” could be paid for their work.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sensitivity-readers-to-vet-oxford-university-student-newspapers-sq5kmkd8n

Perhaps PB should have its own sensitivity council to vet threads before they are published, wouldn't really impact my pieces as I never would outrage people in thread headers.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021

Scotland:

There have been 2,969 new cases of Covid-19 reported in Scotland in the past 24 hours.

According to Scottish Government statistics, there have been five new deaths in the same period.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/19393062.coronavirus-scotland-2-969-new-cases-24-hours-five-reported-deaths/

7.3% positive, down from 9.1% yesterday. That’s the only bit of good news.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Scotland:

That's an all time record for Scotland. Well done Nicola.

Warning to the rest of us to only use the England numbers at 4pm as Scottish failure is going to make the relevant trend hard to see in the headline figures.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    A New Zealand win is now the most likely result with BE.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Scotland:

That's an all time record for Scotland. Well done Nicola.

Warning to the rest of us to only use the England numbers at 4pm as Scottish failure is going to make the relevant trend hard to see in the headline figures.
    Good job she banned scots from travelling to London .... oh wait
  • Options

Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

A couple of weeks ago I posted a video from an ex-USAF officer about a top secret base that had an even more top secret use at night. He mentioned in passing that the Pentagon was happy to "no comment" UFO sightings that were actually of a new spy plane they were developing.

UFO reports, or at least the ones you post, seem to come from the sort of places that develop advanced weaponry: America, Russia and China. They also launch satellites and have bits of rocket fall back to Earth. So my guess is that any UFOs that are not hoaxes are probably going to turn up at an arms fair one day.

It's a plausible theory, but it has some flaws. These sightings - of super-advanced tech - date back at least to 2004, and probably to the 1940s. Could the US, China, Russia really have hidden brilliant machines that long? Why haven't they used them, or flaunted them, to evoke awe and fear?

If it is America, why is the US government freaking out about its own technology? If it is secret tech, why is the Pentagon reporting all of this to Congress, and through them to the public?

Why is America military and political elite admitting that it is flummoxed by these UAP - ie why the admission of intelligence failures and weakness?
  • Options
    I'm guessing next time India will be requesting that the world test final is played on the sub-continent.
  • Options

Oxford University students are to establish a group of “sensitivity readers” to review articles for their publications.

At a vote last month students supported the “need for better editing” at Oxford’s student papers, and proposed a website that would check submissions.

Cherwell, a publication whose alumni include Evelyn Waugh, Graham Greene and WH Auden, is independent. The Oxford Student, established in 1991, is owned by the students’ union but has independence through a charter.

The union cannot intervene in Cherwell, which was founded in 1920. Instead, it is thought that any “sensitivity board” could be there for papers to consult if editors wanted to. Cherwell said it would welcome the plans as a resource.

The broadcaster Michael Crick, who edited the paper while at New College, compared it to a government asking to view newspapers before publication. “The answer to all of these things is pluralism,” he told The Daily Telegraph. “If you’re going to have a boring, dull, vetted newspaper, nobody’s going to read it.”

The motion put to the students’ union cited a Cherwell article defending the music of Richard Wagner, which was taken down after students complained it was antisemitic. It said: “The need for better editing in student papers but also in JCR [junior common room] affairs, society publications, and other areas of Oxford life is clear from the amount of ‘scandals’, that is, problematic articles being published. These could represent a certain group of people unfairly or inaccurately, be implicitly racist or sexist, or just generally inaccurate and insensitive.”.”

The Keble College student who proposed the idea, Ellen Hendry, told the council meeting that sensitivity advice could be crowdsourced, and take the form of an elected council who read and give their opinions on articles. If it became widely used, the “sensitivity readers” could be paid for their work.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sensitivity-readers-to-vet-oxford-university-student-newspapers-sq5kmkd8n

Perhaps PB should have its own sensitivity council to vet threads before they are published, wouldn't really impact my pieces as I never would outrage people in thread headers.

Oxford men do take themselves so terribly seriously. And women.
  • Options

Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

Im sure there is some of that - but as far as I am aware rockets do not fall upwards.......

Who knows what is going on - but what is clear that discussion now mainstream
  • Options

Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

The Loch Ness Monster has in practice disappeared into the naff tourist industry. Until about the '60s it seemed a serious possibility (Tim Dinsdale was the best bloke on it) but it vanished as people began to realise that for very large animals to exist in a particular zone they have to exist in continuing colonies as part of a total ecosystem, the evidence for which, in such a spatially limited zone, would have to show up objectively in time. There was and is no such evidence and so there is no evidence they are there. I doubt if it has any serious defenders now.

All this could be falsified of course, just as an unknown mammal the size of an elephant might turn up somewhere between Dacca and Viet Nam, but it's unlikely.

With UFOs one decent unequivocal piece of data would be worth thousands of fuzzy ones. Curiously the sort we want is the sort we don't get. Is there a pattern here?
  • Options
    Maybe it's time to watch the X Files again. I remember there were some pretty good episodes in the first few series.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

Yes, of course

I take all of that on board, and don't dismiss it, but at the moment the stuff is really all fuzzy pics + if you knew what high ups knew!!! I shall wait and see. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence if you are being empirical.

There is in existence great expertise in physics, maths, engineering and interpretation of electronic data. Not least in the USA.

I am waiting for the peer reviewed academic papers confirming the data; and I am waiting for the same people to publish the popular science spin offs.

The academic papers guarantee a stellar reputation, up there with Einstein, and the popular science books, if written by the same people with proper credentials, guarantees a massive fortune. Publishers will have their tongues hanging out and their chequebooks offering carte blanche.

Still waiting with a completely open mind. BTW delusionalism can happen with any group, however bright.

Yes, this is the same American elite which convinced itself Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. A salutary example. Groupthink is a real thing

However this is a pretty spectacular display of groupthink, if that is what it is. It ranges from Obama to Rubio, from ex CIA directors to ex Naval chiefs, from Democrat intellectuals like Harris to Republican Senators like Reid

Hmm

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Maybe it's time to watch the X Files again. I remember there were some pretty good episodes in the first few series.

Available on Disney +.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

It's a plausible theory, but it has some flaws. These sightings - of super-advanced tech - date back at least to 2004, and probably to the 1940s. Could the US, China, Russia really have hidden brilliant machines that long? Why haven't they used them, or flaunted them, to evoke awe and fear?

If it is America, why is the US government freaking out about its own technology? If it is secret tech, why is the Pentagon reporting all of this to Congress, and through them to the public?

Why is America military and political elite admitting that it is flummoxed by these UAP - ie why the admission of intelligence failures and weakness?
    The Americans did (eventually) reveal their spy planes and stealth fighters and bombers. Here is a video of Russian planes "dancing". ETA what would night time reports of these planes have described?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Cgxy7N-V0
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Nigelb said:

Arriba españa

I thought conventional wisdom (HYUFD) was that Spain would oppose it mightily ?
    The French don't like walking holidays. They prefer sun sea and sex. Italy and Spain are the great explorers.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

If they don't believe in medical science, then perhaps they should be in another job anyhow ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

The embarrassing antivaxxery from the PB zerocovidians on here yesterday might come as a surprise to the ultra-dovish Professor Pantsdown, who has been on the airwaves this morning telling us how effective the vaccines are against Delta.

Funny old world.

Ferguson has actually had quite a balanced view on Covid throughout the pandemic I think
    Overall, yes. But he seems to swing from euphoria to despair on a fortnightly basis.
    Don't we all?
    True, though most of us stick to the one personality.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

The Americans did (eventually) reveal their spy planes and stealth fighters and bombers. Here is a video of Russian planes "dancing".

The UAPs some people claim to have seen aren't merely a better fighter, missile, or spy plane, they are far beyond even the sorts of things that are supposedly being developed now. The energy and power required for some of the claimed manoeuvres would require a breakthrough that would make the Manhattan Project look like a nice simple puzzle to solve. Which probably points to this whole flap being some huge mistake or deliberate ploy, but if craft really do exist that can do the things that have been described then a scientific/technical jump of incredible scale has occurred.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

The Loch Ness Monster has in practice disappeared into the naff tourist industry. Until about the '60s it seemed a serious possibility (Tim Dinsdale was the best bloke on it) but it vanished as people began to realise that for very large animals to exist in a particular zone they have to exist in continuing colonies as part of a total ecosystem, the evidence for which, in such a spatially limited zone, would have to show up objectively in time. There was and is no such evidence and so there is no evidence they are there. I doubt if it has any serious defenders now.

All this could be falsified of course, just as an unknown mammal the size of an elephant might turn up somewhere between Dacca and Viet Nam, but it's unlikely.

With UFOs one decent unequivocal piece of data would be worth thousands of fuzzy ones. Curiously the sort we want is the sort we don't get. Is there a pattern here?
    Who do you think is flying the UFOs? Obvious, isn't it.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/23/brexit-has-weakened-and-isolated-the-uk-says-eu-vaccine-chief

I get that the Guardian don’t like Brexit but I find it bizarre this continued push to try to claim that the U.K. vaccine effort is somehow failing compared to the EU, based on (it seems) a relative slow down among non vulnerable groups, Germany being a bigger country than the U.K. and the U.K. not being able to source 100% of its vaccines from within its borders (from a complete standing start). And the latter even in the context of the EU taking AZ to court to secure a supply of vaccines from out with the EU!
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited June 2021
    Johnson has a covid presser today? What for?

Actually its Zahawi
  • Options
    Talking about cricket England's t20 series against Sri Lanka begins today.

1st t20 - Tonight at 6.30pm on Sky Sports

2nd t20- - Tomorrow at 6.30pm on Sky Sports and BBC2

3rd t20 - Saturday at 2.30pm on Sky Sports.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Very considerate of the Indians to try to get this test match done before the football.
  • Options
    TimT said:

sarissa said:

Nigelb said:

is that Musk's brother's outfit ?
    Does make a good deal of sense in the right locations, especially as energy gets cheaper. Middle East is a massive potential market.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

The Americans did (eventually) reveal their spy planes and stealth fighters and bombers. Here is a video of Russian planes "dancing". ETA what would night time reports of these planes have described?
    Fascinating. But that's fake, no?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Very considerate of the Indians to try to get this test match done before the football.

OTOH I think it has been shown pretty conclusively that in our dodgy climate a 6 day test is the answer. This would have been a boring draw if restricted to 5 days.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

If they don't believe in medical science, then perhaps they should be in another job anyhow ?
    I remember a while back John Oliver did a stat which showed something like 10% of American medical professionals think the power of prayer has more impact on successful health outcomes than medicines.
  • Options

Cherwell, a publication whose alumni include Evelyn Waugh, Graham Greene and WH Auden, is independent. The Oxford Student, established in 1991, is owned by the students’ union but has independence through a charter...

People have been saying that about Cherwell for at least four decades.
  • Options
    glw said:

The Americans did (eventually) reveal their spy planes and stealth fighters and bombers. Here is a video of Russian planes "dancing".

The UAPs some people claim to have seen aren't merely a better fighter, missile, or spy plane, they are far beyond even the sorts of things that are supposedly being developed now. The energy and power required for some of the claimed manoeuvres would require a breakthrough that would make the Manhattan Project look like a nice simple puzzle to solve. Which probably points to this whole flap being some huge mistake or deliberate ploy, but if craft really do exist that can do the things that have been described then a scientific/technical jump of incredible scale has occurred.
    OTOH, it doesn't take much energy to move a fuzzy blob across a screen.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

What do you mean, naff? My green furry Nessie wearing a tam o' shanter is the height of taste. And definitely real.
  • Options
    I’m pleased to see that the Good Law Project is no longer challenging the appointment of
    @katebingham2 as head of the Vaccine Taskforce last May - an appointment its director described as an “offence to the England of my mind” in an article in the Guardian in November 2020

https://twitter.com/BarbaraRich_law/status/1407694175475310594
  • Options
    2.6 runs an over doesn't sound like much, but it would be the fastest run rate in the match. If they get the overs in before the gloom descends.
  • Options
    Will talk about myocarditis re: today's ACIP. Two numbers out there:
    1. Myocarditis from COVID-19 vaccination of young people, CDC says 300 cases in 20 million people (1: 70,000: 0.0014%)
    2. Myocarditis from SARS-2 CoV in young people 2.3%
    @JAMA_current

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1407661292702347266
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

OTOH I think it has been shown pretty conclusively that in our dodgy climate a 6 day test is the answer. This would have been a boring draw if restricted to 5 days.
    I'd go further,a drawn test match should be 450 overs, when those take place ought to be semi-irrelevant. If you can bat out 120 overs to save a test then you deserve a draw; but they shouldn't occur just due to the vagaries of weather.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

I’m pleased to see that the Good Law Project is no longer challenging the appointment of
    @katebingham2 as head of the Vaccine Taskforce last May - an appointment its director described as an “offence to the England of my mind” in an article in the Guardian in November 2020

"Like many prolific and noticeable commentators, the GLP appears to have leaped to the incorrect conclusion that this was an appointment of incompetent cronyism, based on some news stories circulating in November 2020"
  • Options
    glw said:

The Manhattan Project was "a nice simple puzzle to solve". It was solved in the 1940s using 1930s technology. Recent sightings are probably people seeing new technology or even birds or clouds from funny angles. Look at the Russian plane video and imagine the impossible and unnatural manoeuvres you'd describe if you couldn't see the planes.
  • Options

2.6 runs an over doesn't sound like much, but it would be the fastest run rate in the match. If they get the overs in before the gloom descends.

Sunny weather is forecast until 8pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637487
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    edited June 2021
    Scotland's covid positive tests today is the equivalent to England having 70,000 positive tests.
    What is Scotland doing so wrong?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    OK, next few weeks forecasts on COVID:

Current weekly rough figures 22/6:
    Cases, 70k +35%
    Hospitals: 1.5k +35%
    Death: 100 +45%

Factors next week:
    - Base week will have been slightly cooler
    - Increasing rates are widespread throughout much of non-peninsular England and the central belt, suggesting close to the inflection point (i.e. areas near and beyond peak balancing new areas starting their Delta wave)
    - Acceleration of localised university outbreaks, pushing some cities higher
    By 29/6:
    Cases: +40%, 110k per week
    Hospitals +20% 1.8k
    Deaths, +20%, 120

Factors in early July:
    - Beyond the inflection in England and Scotland, cases slowing and a lot of localities topping out at 100-150 cases per 100k, plus more places dropping
    - Some football driven outbreaks
    - University at inflection and terms just starting to come to an end
    - Base week (now) cooler
    By 6/7
    Cases +20%, 130k
    Hospitals, +20%, 2.2k
    Deaths. +5%, 125

Factors in mid July:
    - Over the community and university peaks
    - Some football outbreaks
    - Base week OK weather wise
    By 13/7:
    Cases: level or slightly down 125k
    Hospitals, level or slightly up, 2.2k
    Deaths, +10%, 140
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Are we sure it still won't be?

Another maiden.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

Scotland's covid positive tests today is the equivalent to England having 70,000 positive tests.

It's volunteering to be the 'let the Delta variant rip' guinea pig.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641
    Nigelb said:

Cherwell, a publication whose alumni include Evelyn Waugh, Graham Greene and WH Auden, is independent. The Oxford Student, established in 1991, is owned by the students’ union but has independence through a charter...

People have been saying that about Cherwell for at least four decades.
    Back in the 90s my now sister in law was the subject of a piece of fairly libellous and inaccurate reporting in their regular diary feature. Threatened to sue, explained to them what their legal position was and got a retraction plus a handy mini-payout.
  • Options

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Are we sure it still won't be?

Another maiden.
    NZ are somewhat behind the required run rate at the moment and I do not think that they can assume that they will get all the overs notionally available.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641

It's volunteering to be the 'let the Delta variant rip' guinea pig.
    Must be partly the approach to vaccination - they have been behind the other nations for a while. That plus perhaps seeding in unvaxxed groups.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

I'd go further,a drawn test match should be 450 overs, when those take place ought to be semi-irrelevant. If you can bat out 120 overs to save a test then you deserve a draw; but they shouldn't occur just due to the vagaries of weather.
    The problem is that the weather in England isn't random, you have regimes of wetter periods, when whole weeks are lost to rain.

If this Test goes down to the last over it will only be the 319th over of the match, still 125 overs short of a nominal full match (deducting 3x2 overs for change of innings).

So to get a full 450 overs they would need two more days - but the forecast for Friday, Saturday and Sunday is for more rain. It could have taken 11 days to bowl 450 overs.

When the weather is in a rainy phase it just is very hard to fit a Test match in.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited June 2021
    BBC reporting that sweeping new restrictions are being introduced across Sydney as a fast growing new outbreak develops with no entry to Sydney and residents largely banned from leaving the city

The Health minister describes it as a very real and present danger

It is apparently a Delta covid variant

It does make you wonder if this new Delta variant of concern, just discovered, is a real threat to vaccines
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

"Like many prolific and noticeable commentators, the GLP appears to have leaped to the incorrect conclusion that this was an appointment of incompetent cronyism, based on some news stories circulating in November 2020"
    The issue here is that for every example like this one were the best possible person was recruited for the task, you have a Dido Harding who shouldn't be asked to do organise a piss up in a brewery...
  • Options

What gloom would this be then? It's bright and sunny down south today.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Pro_Rata said:

OK, next few weeks forecasts on COVID:

Current weekly rough figures 22/6:
    Cases, 70k +35%
    Hospitals: 1.5k +35%
    Death: 100 +45%

Factors next week:
    - Base week will have been slightly cooler
    - Increasing rates are widespread throughout much of non-peninsular England and the central belt, suggesting close to the inflection point (i.e. areas near and beyond peak balancing new areas starting their Delta wave)
    - Acceleration of localised university outbreaks, pushing some cities higher
    By 29/6:
    Cases: +40%, 110k per week
    Hospitals +20% 1.8k
    Deaths, +20%, 120

Factors in early July:
    - Beyond the inflection in England and Scotland, cases slowing and a lot of localities topping out at 100-150 cases per 100k, plus more places dropping
    - Some football driven outbreaks
    - University at inflection and terms just starting to come to an end
    - Base week (now) cooler
    By 6/7
    Cases +20%, 130k
    Hospitals, +20%, 2.2k
    Deaths. +5%, 125

Factors in mid July:
    - Over the community and university peaks
    - Some football outbreaks
    - Base week OK weather wise
    By 13/7:
    Cases: level or slightly down 125k
    Hospitals, level or slightly up, 2.2k
    Deaths, +10%, 140

What you've failed to realise is Covid grows EXPONENTIALLY and therefore it's only a matter of time before the UK sees 10 to the power 17 cases a day.
  • Options

BBC reporting that sweeping new restrictions are being introduced across Sydney as a fast growing new outbreak develops with no entry to Sydney and residents largely banned from leaving the city

It does make you wonder if this new Delta variant of concern, just discovered, is a real threat to vaccines

I can't see how Australia is ever going to escape from this situation.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

The problem is that the weather in England isn't random, you have regimes of wetter periods, when whole weeks are lost to rain.

Er, no. That is rare in the extreme. Can you show me a few examples of this claim?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

The Manhattan Project was "a nice simple puzzle to solve". It was solved in the 1940s using 1930s technology. Recent sightings are probably people seeing new technology or even birds or clouds from funny angles. Look at the Russian plane video and imagine the impossible and unnatural manoeuvres you'd describe if you couldn't see the planes.
    Some of the manoeuvres reported would require faster acceleration than any known missile, the only thing that comes close is a shell in a cannon and they accelerate for only a very short time. The power required in some cases must run into the hundreds of gigawatts, and the energy needed is off the charts. If we take the UAP reports at face value they have energy sources and produce power several orders of magnitude beyond anything we have today. It is not simply an evolution of today's technology, it's a gigantic leap beyond where we are.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Vaccines are largely irrelevant in Asutralia, I understood? Not too much vaxxing gone on yet so efficacy or otherwise isn't really an issue. AIUI?
  • Options
    10% profit available if you think New Zealand will win.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/cricket/market/1.180195059
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

maaarsh said:

moonshine said:

Looking at that another way around for a moment.

Imagine Mr X. Mr X has job at Morgan Stanley. He is happy with the job, the company is happy with his work. Mr X works at home throughout the pandemic, as requested by his employers. He and they are still happy.

Mr X is asked to come back to work at the office, which he is happy to do. He for whatever reason doesn't want to be vaccinated. Morgan Stanley say - sorry, you must work from the office, and you can't work from the office unless you've been vaccinated.

Mr X either attempts to work in the office without having the vaccine, or doesn't attend the office because he's not been vaccinated, and Morgan Stanley therefore sack him.

Now this isn't a job where he accepted the role he could have been expected to anticipate the vaccination was a job requrement. It's not a job where it can be objectively argued that vaccination is necessary (C.f. healthworkers). It's also a job he just spent 15 months doing perfectly adequately from home - there have been no complains about his performance.

In UK employment law, I can't see the employer has a leg to stand on - they are retrospectively imposing an arbitrary condition on an employee, and there is obvious alternative mitigation if they really don't want to let unvaxed staff in the office by letting him continue to work from home.

Obviously a different scenario in a lot of the US where employees have far fewer rights.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sunny weather is forecast until 8pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637487
    You are letting the facts get in the way of the PB Weather Experts' miserable hyperbole.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Someone debunk this plz

Fascinating. But that's fake, no?
    They're clearly not real aircraft. I think they're supposedly radio control models, but I'd be surprised if they're not in fact CGI remote control models.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I can't see how Australia is ever going to escape from this situation.
    The same way as everyone else?
  • Options

What gloom would this be then? It's bright and sunny down south today.
    The over rates have been so slow that I've been thinking of the gloom of sunset.
  • Options

Not really – only 3% of adults have been vaccinated in Australia, due to their utterly hopeless roll out.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited June 2021

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

If this Test goes down to the last over it will only be the 319th over of the match, still 125 overs short of a nominal full match (deducting 3x2 overs for change of innings).

So to get a full 450 overs they would need two more days - but the forecast for Friday, Saturday and Sunday is for more rain. It could have taken 11 days to bowl 450 overs.

When the weather is in a rainy phase it just is very hard to fit a Test match in.
    You could have 98 over standard days after any sort of time is lost to rain, and also have the final session go up to 90 overs proper in a day (Not be time limited) as standard. If the fielding side want a long day, it's up to them.
    Of course 450 overs is actually normally 444 since there are 2 overs taken out for an innings change. That is fine and expected.
This discussion has been closed.