Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tories edging out in the C&A betting but still very strong odds-on favourite – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857

BBC News - Euro 2020: Uefa warns teams could be fined if they move drinks at news conferences
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57517337

The next day, France midfielder Pogba, a practising Muslim, discreetly removed a bottle of Heineken beer.

Christ on a bike, Paul Pogba is a better Muslim than me.

Yes, I know that's a pretty low bar.
    Muslims cannot even be near beer? That's rough.

I wouldn't press UEFA on this - they and FIFA love their beer sponsors.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,519

MrEd said:

nico679 said:

Looks like countries that primarily used Pfizer will have the best outcomes . Clearly it’s a superior vaccine to AZ especially against the Delta variant.

I said wayback when Astra Zeneca partnered up with that third rate university that Pfizer would be better.
    AZ didn't partner with Cambridge. Oh wait, you said third-rate, not complete waste of space.
    Number of Nobel laureates.

University of Cambridge: 110

University of Oxford: 54
    The University of Oxford even gets beaten by France.
    Indeed.

You can see why they let in Naomi Wolf.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Interesting - PHE suggests just 53 people in England are known to have contracted Covid-19 twice, in the past 17 months.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Jeffrey Donaldson likely to be elected in his place. More moderate on social issues, in Arlene Foster camp, but won’t make much difference to NI Protocol row as DUP will still oppose it

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1405629187231207425?s=20

They have to up their opposition to the NI Protocol to win back voters lost to TUV whoever is their new leader
    How much more 'up' can their opposition be? The way things get reported they all seem to be operating at about 11 out of 10 on the outrage scale.
    Probably they will have to leave the NI Executive until the Irish Sea border is removed unfortunately
    Childish antics, taking their ball and going home, shouldn't be surprised. No doubt they'll demand 'respect' for their game playing at the same time.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273

MrEd said:

nico679 said:

Looks like countries that primarily used Pfizer will have the best outcomes . Clearly it’s a superior vaccine to AZ especially against the Delta variant.

I said wayback when Astra Zeneca partnered up with that third rate university that Pfizer would be better.
    AZ didn't partner with Cambridge. Oh wait, you said third-rate, not complete waste of space.

Hasn't Alfred Nobel been cancelled by now?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,820

MrEd said:

nico679 said:

Hmm, depends. Some fields of science and other learning don't get Nobel prizes. Evolutionary biology for instance.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Is there some BAME problem with the second dose ?

There seems to be a significantly higher difference in the two doses in high BAME districts.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

BBC News - Euro 2020: Uefa warns teams could be fined if they move drinks at news conferences
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57517337

The next day, France midfielder Pogba, a practising Muslim, discreetly removed a bottle of Heineken beer.

Christ on a bike, Paul Pogba is a better Muslim than me.

Yes, I know that's a pretty low bar.
    Muslims cannot even be near beer? That's rough.

I wouldn't press UEFA on this - they and FIFA love their beer sponsors.
    Most of university free time involved being surrounded by beer and other alcoholic drinks.

I remember when I got dragged to Vodka bars simply because the 99% proof stuff they only let people have one shot a night, and they stamped your hand.

I was taken so I could order one of them and a friend could have two.

Something similar happened with bars that served absinthe.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,352
    An indescribably moving thread, on Twitter, as people discover dead lovers, parents, pets, still alive on Google streetview

https://twitter.com/dindata/status/1405528759877308416?s=21
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817

Pulpstar said:

UK cases by specimen date

Look at Cornwall. Impact of the G7 summit or is that too soon?
    Far too soon - unless it was the preparations (catering, security) that started things off.
    Yeah, the security teams are there well in advance.

The Secret Service are something else.
    Chock full of covid by the looks of the case data.
    My friend's father worked at a very nice hotel which has hosted The Royals, politicians from round the world, rock star, pop stars, and films stars, he said the biggest pains in the arse were the US Secret Service and Prince Charles.

The former were relentless and humourless whilst Prince Charles had so many requirements it was unbelievable, such as a certain type of toilet roll, set in such a way, sandwiches cut diagonally, not horizontally, whereas his parents were a blast, especially the Duke of Edinburgh.
    The main hotspots are Falmouth (120 cases across 4 MSOAs, 342 per 100k), St. Ives (63 cases, 482 per 100k) and Newquay (55 cases, 210 per 100k), with pretty low rates elsewhere. Proper hotspots those.

Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352

MrEd said:

nico679 said:

Didn't Nick Griffin go to Cambridge?

#justsayin'
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

MrEd said:

nico679 said:

The University of Oxford even gets beaten by France.
    Indeed.

You can see why they let in Naomi Wolf.
    Trinity College (Cambridge) has more Nobel Laureates than Oxf*rd, doesn't it?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,211

Interesting - PHE suggests just 53 people in England are known to have contracted Covid-19 twice, in the past 17 months.

Which I why I cast doubt on the tales of loads of students getting the delta variant after previously having had Covid.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,781
    For insomniacs:

Polls have now closed throughout the Chesham and Amersham constituency and seven council seats across England and Scotland.

But what about an election night show?

http://twitch.tv/britainelects from 11pm. By-elections and boundary changes.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1405631365882814469?s=20
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,917

MrEd said:

nico679 said:

Hasn't Alfred Nobel been cancelled by now?
    That firework should have been cancelled decades ago! Imagine the inventor of dynamite sponsoring a peace prize.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sandpit said:

I am waiting for TSE to tell us but what about the Apple headphones...they are really good... ;-)

I do need* some new headphones.

These are coming out soon, I'm not sure whether to get these.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MJ503ZM/A/beats-studio-buds-true-wireless-noise-cancelling-earphones-beats-red

I refuse to get the Airpods Max.

*I have really used my powerbeats pro to the max.
    The Beats stuff is really crap. Sony and Bose are both much better.
    For cheap, cheap, cheap headphones Sony's fifteen quid foldable set can't be beat.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Third night of my Dildo Knappers Gazette Tour of E Anglia. Again: consistently brilliant food.

Oysters, lobsters, pig cheek fritters with tarragon Mayo. Norfolk asparagus with confit egg, fantastic warm potted shrimp. Just sensational

I’ve not eaten better in the EU in several years. Theory: You generally eat better in the UK than you do on the continent. There is greater variety on the high street and more imagination in the restaurants. And the ethnic food is vastly better

At home Ocado are now stocking Norfolk Samphire. Superb fried off, then mixing in and frying / steam basting eggs in the juice. Set me nicely for lunch for the last few weekends.
    One of the gastronomic highlights of my life was having samphire with sea bream in Kings Lynn many years ago.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    Leon said:

Third night of my Dildo Knappers Gazette Tour of E Anglia. Again: consistently brilliant food.

Oysters, lobsters, pig cheek fritters with tarragon Mayo. Norfolk asparagus with confit egg, fantastic warm potted shrimp. Just sensational

I’ve not eaten better in the EU in several years. Theory: You generally eat better in the UK than you do on the continent. There is greater variety on the high street and more imagination in the restaurants. And the ethnic food is vastly better

And we've got Greggs.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

kle4 said:

nico679 said:

It's hard for a layman to judge, but particularly given the cold storage issue has been dealt with the Pfizer vaccine really does seem to have been a mighty achievement, and it was first out of the gate to boot.
    And it looks like a technology which is very easy to adapt to other problems, and produce in huge quantities using the network Europe has developed. Whereas the OAZ vaccine is the swansong of a more traditional approach. The last great steam engine, when someone else has developed an electric TGV.

And whilst the OAZ vaccine combined remarkable cleverness and humanity, that doesn't excuse the sales-production mismatch, or not doing trials in a way that ensured quick approval.
    While that might be true to some degree mRNA doesn't look like an easy technology to work with. The CureVac vaccine has got just 47% efficacy which is pretty poor, even the single dose J&J vaccine gets about 67% on the same measure whole AZ is about 85% with two doses at an 8 week gap and both of those use Adenovirus vectors. Novavax with viral proteins+adjuvant gets to 97% efficacy after two doses.

To me it looks like Moderna and BioNTech/Pfizer are extremely good vaccines that have leveraged a novel technology. Novavax is second best in terms of antibody response and AZ is best in terms of its t-cell response. I think there is room in the market for all 5 of them (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J, AZ and Novavax) each targeting a different part of the market. AZ for people aged 60+ looks like a slam dunk to me as it gets a good antibody response, doesn't have any side effects in the old and it seems to give very, very good long term immunity with t-cells. I think Moderna and Pfizer make sense in the young where you want a faster acting vaccine which will reduce spread and Novavax needs to be approved so we can see what real world efficacy is like rather than modelling it from trial data and antibody prevalence but in the early data it seems to do very well against variants.
This discussion has been closed.