Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tories edging out in the C&A betting but still very strong odds-on favourite – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    There is a female Danish ex footballer on the itv panel for this next game - obviously she could be the most eloquent and knowledgeable pundit the football world has seen, and she does sound eloquent, but I wonder, now that the criteria to be in the studio is no longer "having played at the level of match about to be shown", which seems to have been they way since punditry began, why is it that still the rule for male pundits? Why not get someone from the analytics community who has never played pro football in there, or a journeyman from League 2 who has good tv skills?

Or is playing international football for the women's team considered equivalent? I guess it must be

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,224
    isam said:

There is a female Danish ex footballer on the itv panel for this next game - obviously she could be the most eloquent and knowledgeable pundit the football world has seen, and she does sound eloquent, but I wonder, now that the criteria to be in the studio is no longer "having played at the level of match about to be shown", which seems to have been they way since punditry began, why is it that still the rule for male pundits? Why not get someone from the analytics community who has never played pro football in there, or a journeyman from League 2 who has good tv skills?

Or is playing international football for the women's team considered equivalent? I guess it must be

Yes it is, in all sports now.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

I watched Tifo Football analysis of England game.....just miles ahead of anything on the telly. They explained exactly what England were trying to achieve and it wasn't obvious from the pictures, and why Philips was so crucial.

And from the Athletic and something that surprised me, England out pressed even your standard Leeds game.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside if the LibDems win today, and the Greens lose their deposit, then they will be the real losers.

The Greens need to throw everything at these byelections if they want up supplant the LibDems and become the "third choice".

I'm quite surprised you think so. Personally I don't see the Greens as over the line from also-rans to outsiders.

I view a Tory win as very likely indeed, but there's little information flow, so I'm not smashing up the 1.15s.

I presume that the LDs will do quite well, but of the Greens do very well too then that's not going to be a great thing for the yellow peril. The Tories don't mind whatever it is so long as they win. Labour don't care really, but I imagine they'd like not to get nil points.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514

Edwin Poots is "on his way out" just 5 weeks after being elected DUP leader

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1405553310032175110?s=20

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    Scotland has recorded its highest number of new coronavirus cases in a day since late January.

The latest Scottish Government figures show there were four coronavirus patient deaths and 1317 new cases in the past 24 hours.

The daily case number is the highest since the 1330 recorded on January 27, amid the lockdown for the second wave of the virus.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/coronavirus-four-deaths-and-1317-new-cases-overnight?amp
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981
    isam said:

It does help mitigate the tedious laddishness, though. So, a good thing overall.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,224

I’m presuming the Cons will win as there is insufficient pant-shitting on here from the hardened Tories.

Either that or they have disappeared to pant-shit in privacy and silence.

Maybe they went commando today ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

Just think, if wasn't for some twat at the BBC, This Week would still be going strong and GB News wouldn't exist.
  • Options
    Belgian national anthem rather jolly. Sounds like theme tune from a Terry Thomas film.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

Does that mean they've got to think about the First Minister again?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334

On topic, I believe if the conservatives lose C & A and fail in B & S it will be a well deserved wake up

Wake up to what?

I keep hearing the thumping for the tories would shake them up....shake them up to do what?

Be even greener than they are? be even more cautious than they are? extend restrictions even longer than they are?

because that is what labour and the lib dems are offering. Am I missing something?
    The Lib Dems voted against the last lot of restrictions and did not vote at all last night.
    So inconsistent then
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cicero said:

Hearing the Lib Dems are doing well, though it is admittedly a big ask. While "its only a by election", there is a lot of home counties anger out there against the Tories. The political world next year could look a lot different than it does today.

What are they angry about in the home counties that the Liberals would do differently?
    Some semblance of competence.
    Lib Dems and competence do not fit to be fair
    To be fairer they don't get much opportunity to demonstrate governance competence. Political competence maybe, which is mixed
    They have locally here and made a complete mess of it
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

TOPPING said:

ping said:

11k cases
    222 admissions

Boris, SKS, SAGE and the public were right.

PB was wrong.

Nah bollocks. The NHS will be fine.
    The Warwick model shows ≈ 250 admission in England by this date. 1000 by 3rd July.

And... 70K + tests by 17th June (today)

I don't think the Warwick model is predicting number of positive tests... I think it would be predicting number of people infected with COVID -> which is not the same thing at all.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,473

TOPPING said:

ping said:

11k cases
    222 admissions

PB was wrong.

The Warwick model shows ≈ 250 admission in England by this date. 1000 by 3rd July.

This:
    https://twitter.com/RP131/status/1405543187209285636/photo/1
    does not look like cases continuing to exponentiate, to me.
    Not flattening out as quickly as we would like.
    But nothing to suggest Sage were right.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

ping said:

rkrkrk said:

Reckon we could see 500+ admitted to hospital/day by end of June.

Quite possible if current trends continue.

Very glad the PM isn’t listening to pb’s armchair epidemidiots
    Admissions is not the best criteria, it really is more about in hospital now. Lots of reports that those attending hospital are less sick than in previous waves, mainly as they are younger. We are also looking at one days jump which has only just increased the wow rate change. I am sure cases are going to keep increasing, and possibly for quite a while, but the effects of increased cases will be nothing like before.
    And once again, who is it ending up in hospital? If it's 50+ vaccine refusers then what exactly does 4 weeks buy us in terms of getting them vaccinated.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Hearing the Lib Dems are doing well, though it is admittedly a big ask. While "its only a by election", there is a lot of home counties anger out there against the Tories. The political world next year could look a lot different than it does today.

What are they angry about in the home counties that the Liberals would do differently?
    Some semblance of competence.
    Lib Dems and competence do not fit to be fair
    There’s an argument to make that from a purely technocratic perspective, the LDs completely outshone their Tory peers in the 2010-2015 administration.

Admittedly, you are in love with Boris, so competence is not importance to you.
    So you have not read my posts

8:19AM

17th July 2021

Yesterday at the end of the thread on B & S and after PMQ's I posted this and I just wanted to repeat it as it does provide an insight into my attitude to Boris and covid. It is maybe a way of saying I am not at all a fan of Boris but I am a conservative loyalist and at present I do not see how he is replaced.

I thought Boris looked shattered at PMQ's and his defence v Starmer was huff and puff when really there is actually a good evidence based case, as shown on here that the borders were not left open, as Delta had nor been identified as such, at the dates Starmer referred to

Indeed, he is providing more credence to those who say he is just a PR PM and does not do detail or understand it

Even I could have made a better case v Starmer today than he got anywhere near to

I did not vote for brexit, nor for Boris as leader, but I accept brexit was a democratic vote and now have been convinced leaving was the correct thing to do and not to look back

As I have said on many occasions, I want Rishi as leader and as soon as possible.

Indeed I would not be averse to Jeremy Hunt or Liz Truss

However, I do not know how Boris is removed or when and as a loyal conservative I will continue to support the party but expect Boris to release us (English anyway) on the 19th July and for him to accept that we cannot beat covid, (it will be with us for decades) and affirm vaccination is our passport to freedom, though personally I would not permit foreign travel before 2022

Furthermore, I fully support the compulsory vaccination of all care home workers as we cannot put at risk those who depend on this sector as happened across the UK at the beginning of this most dreadful disease

Of course, should Boris lose C&A and not take B&S from labour, the political narrative would change
  • Options

isam said:

I watched Tifo Football analysis of England game.....just miles ahead of anything on the telly. They explained exactly what England were trying to achieve and it wasn't obvious from the pictures, and why Philips was so crucial.

And from the Athletic and something that surprised me, England out pressed even your standard Leeds game.
    I subscribe to The Athletic an dlike some of their podcasts... but I just know that the rest of my Saturday team - basically white van men - wouldn't be able to stand it. Too smart arsed, it is Football for Graduates I think, and there is still a big market for Fosters, Oi Oi, Page 3 etc in the football fan world, particularly those who actually play football
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914

ping said:

rkrkrk said:

Quite possible if current trends continue.

Very glad the PM isn’t listening to pb’s armchair epidemidiots
    Admissions is not the best criteria, it really is more about in hospital now. Lots of reports that those attending hospital are less sick than in previous waves, mainly as they are younger. We are also looking at one days jump which has only just increased the wow rate change. I am sure cases are going to keep increasing, and possibly for quite a while, but the effects of increased cases will be nothing like before.
    What are the numbers in hospital...?
    That’s the only important number at this point, and it’s rising slowly rather than exponentially.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Scotland has recorded its highest number of new coronavirus cases in a day since late January.

The latest Scottish Government figures show there were four coronavirus patient deaths and 1317 new cases in the past 24 hours.

The daily case number is the highest since the 1330 recorded on January 27, amid the lockdown for the second wave of the virus.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/coronavirus-four-deaths-and-1317-new-cases-overnight?amp

Who ever would have thought that down tiering everywhere as cases were rising would have lead to this.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    If the LDs do well or even win then I wonder at the effect on the next one - I'd think a small percentage of the current Tory vot emight be because, well, they look like winners, and if they did not look like winners, even atypically, a certain number would be less keen.
  • Options
    That didn’t take long! 1-0 Denmark inside two minutes.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

isam said:

I subscribe to The Athletic an dlike some of their podcasts... but I just know that the rest of my Saturday team - basically white van men - wouldn't be able to stand it. Too smart arsed, it is Football for Graduates I think, and there is still a big market for Fosters, Oi Oi, Page 3 etc in the football fan world, particularly those who actually play football
    I think TIFO youtube videos bridges the gap. I agree the actual app is very very detailed.

The thing is the YouTube videos are short and entertaining, surely they could be on the telly. I notice that Sky have brought in the similar folk from the cricket world for chats recently.

Also, there are cricketers who are really good on this. Sam Billings...I listened to him for 30 min interview and he was fascinating about how IPL cricket really is....to the extent that taking a single now isn't necessarily "Game Theory Optimal" if that means you lose an advantageous batter / bowler match-up, which provides you with an average run/ball greater than the sum of the two balls of two different match ups.

And you tune into BBC or Sky...well his run rate / 100 balls is x.....Sam Billings was saying this drives the players mad now. A bit like BBC do XG now, which the proper analysis folk just shake their head as, which all it basically tells you shoot close and centre to goal....
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Incredible.

Denmark on fire
  • Options
    Anecdotal evidence from F1 forum members, suggests that Silverstone are now sending out tickets for the Grand Prix on 18th July, and saying there will be no testing or capacity constraints.

The first post-covid full sporting crowd? They’ve sold nearly 150k tickets!
  • Options
    ping said:

Incredible.

Denmark on fire

Here comes the minute's appreciation for Christian Eriksen
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited June 2021
    Think the Tories will win by around 9/10%, it's just too big a mountain for the Lib Dems to climb. Lib Dem private polling hasn't been particularly accurate in the past and it doesn't even claim that they are ahead.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

ping said:

11k cases
    222 admissions

PB was wrong.

This:
    https://twitter.com/RP131/status/1405543187209285636/photo/1
    does not look like cases continuing to exponentiate, to me.
    Not flattening out as quickly as we would like.
    But nothing to suggest Sage were right.
    Thanks
  • Options
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

ping said:

11k cases
    222 admissions

PB was wrong.

I don't think the Warwick model is predicting number of positive tests... I think it would be predicting number of people infected with COVID -> which is not the same thing at all.
    What's the thinking on the ratio of + tests to actual infections these days?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

Just think, if wasn't for some twat at the BBC, This Week would still be going strong and GB News wouldn't exist.
    Yep. Exactly. Why heads haven't rolled over losing Neil is beyond me. They have created a competitor for no good reason other than some "creative" idiot thought the schedule need a spruce up on a thursday night.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

Yep. Exactly. Why heads haven't rolled over losing Neil is beyond me. They have created a competitor for no good reason other than some "creative" idiot thought the schedule need a spruce up on a thursday night.
    The BBC thinking would have been too old, too white, too right wing (despite absolutely duffing any Tory politicians who go near him)....

I mean they didn't even use him at GE time properly. Remember they stuck him on that barge.

Its like Newsnight tried to become younger and hipper and cooler....and their ratings tanked....QT started inviting total nobody actors, comedians and other knobheads on who are supposed popular with da yuff....and their rantings tanked.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360

TOPPING said:

ping said:

11k cases
    222 admissions

PB was wrong.

I take it you've missed the news about Dido Harding then?
    haha yes scrub that.

O Woe the NHS is doomed...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

It’s a bit like Matt the cartoonist.

The Telegraph publisher has made it quite clear to the editor, that losing Matt is an offence for which he’d be expected to resign. Oh, and by the way, he has standing offers from both the Mail and the Sun.

The cartoonist gets paid more than the editor.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,472
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    England PCR positivity

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

The Telegraph publisher has made it quite clear to the editor, that losing Matt is an offence for which he’d be expected to resign. Oh, and by the way, he has standing offers from both the Mail and the Sun.

And worth every penny....well other than I doubt it shifts any more newspapers as we all look at them on the web.
  • Options
    Yep.

It’s gonna be a serious problem.

Boiler plate companies with a skeleton staff of decision makers + AI + a dwindling mass of cheap, disposable work-from-anywheres.

It’s the future. It’s scary.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651

Poots Kaput?

his opponents should either poot up or shoot up.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Last week the average weekday PCR cases per day was about 4.8k, this week it looks like it will be about 6k for England. The rise in cases is still slowing down for PCR positives. It's lateral flow positives that are growing faster and this is likely related to schools returning. I'm not sure how much of an issue it is for LFT positives to go up given that the vas majority of the are asymptomatic and won't lead to hospitalisation.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

On topic, I believe if the conservatives lose C & A and fail in B & S it will be a well deserved wake up

Wake up to what?

I keep hearing the thumping for the tories would shake them up....shake them up to do what?

Be even greener than they are? be even more cautious than they are? extend restrictions even longer than they are?

because that is what labour and the lib dems are offering. Am I missing something?
    The Lib Dems voted against the last lot of restrictions and did not vote at all last night.
    So inconsistent then
    Has there been any explanation why they did not express a view on the the biggest impact on liberalism in anyone’s lifetime? Other than total cynicism not to upset one group of voters on the eve of a by election?

Totally pathetic excuse for a political party these days, brings shame on the legacy of Paddy and Charlie. You want to know why the Tories are still polling so well? Because there’s no one else fit to vote for.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

ping said:

11k cases
    222 admissions

PB was wrong.

What's the thinking on the ratio of + tests to actual infections these days?
    Don't know to be honest.
    This is just me speculating but I would imagine the impact of the vaccine means more people are likely to be infected asymptomatically... so wouldn't go for a test. The ZOE app/survey suggests symptoms may be a bit different with delta also... which perhaps also reduces likelihood of getting tested as people think they have a cold.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Last week the average weekday PCR cases per day was about 4.8k, this week it looks like it will be about 6k for England. The rise in cases is still slowing down for PCR positives. It's lateral flow positives that are growing faster and this is likely related to schools returning. I'm not sure how much of an issue it is for LFT positives to go up given that the vas majority of the are asymptomatic and won't lead to hospitalisation.

The PCR positivity has slowed down in it's growth....
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Denmark in from ~90/1 to ~40/1 on the outright euros market
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    UK R

• Options

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

The BBC thinking would have been too old, too white, too right wing (despite absolutely duffing any Tory politicians who go near him)....

I mean they didn't even use him at GE time properly. Remember they stuck him on that barge.

Its like Newsnight tried to become younger and hipper and cooler....and their ratings tanked....QT started inviting total nobody actors, comedians and other knobheads on who are supposed popular with da yuff....and their rantings tanked.
    What a breath of fresh air it was, to see Neil and Sunak sit down for half an hour.

If they can keep getting minsters and shadows on for long-form interviews, the channel will be successful because no-one else is doing it.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Age related data - deaths are so low that all you get is noise

• Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

What a breath of fresh air it was, to see Neil and Sunak sit down for half an hour.

If they can keep getting minsters and shadows on for long-form interviews, the channel will be successful because no-one else is doing it.
    I don’t see what’s in it for Gove, Sunak et al

What did they achieve?

Why bother?
  • Options
    Vaccinations

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,561
    moonshine said:

Wake up to what?

So inconsistent then
    Has there been any explanation why they did not express a view on the the biggest impact on liberalism in anyone’s lifetime? Other than total cynicism not to upset one group of voters on the eve of a by election?

Totally pathetic excuse for a political party these days, brings shame on the legacy of Paddy and Charlie. You want to know why the Tories are still polling so well? Because there’s no one else fit to vote for.
    The Tories will lose when a better party makes a better and more credible offer to the voters. It's hard to do but the concept isn't complicated. Ask Tony Blair.

As for the LDs, they have been short changed by their questionable supporters. Pushed to virtual extinction (despite the fact they may well win tonight) by their own supporters failing to understand the compromise of coalition after voting for it for generations, and Remainers failing to take the democratic route of Remaining by winning a free gift of an election, and not voting LD in 2019. The party has been reasonably honourable. Their 'supporters' are less so.

• Options

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

And worth every penny....well other than I doubt it shifts any more newspapers as we all look at them on the web.
    Absolutely - if there is any one reason why one newspaper is better than any other is Matt.

That said, it's hard to imagine Matt's brand of humour working so well anywhere but the Telegraph.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Vaccinations

I recommend Chinese style snatch squads to grab people of the street and vaccinate them in the unmarked van.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    So it seems I cannot book my second shot again for a day or so as understandably conformation of today's jab having taken place wontvhqve been input, but I'm still unclear how my second jab got cancelled, and why the online record of the 1st must not show anymore, since its offering me bookings tomorrow now.

Oh, well, should be all sorted in a few days.
  • Options

Poots Kaput?

his opponents should either poot up or shoot up.
    You're on form today...
  • Options
    ping said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

What did they achieve?

Why bother?
    A chance to explain themselves and their department, to someone who actually lets them speak, has done his research, and isn’t primarily looking for a ‘gotcha’ clip to get likes on social media?

Every top politician, from all parties, should be lining up to go on.
  • Options
    Another Parliament with feeble oversight;

There are a few committees which have a 50/50 split between SNP and opposition MSPs, which the SNP also chairs - including health, justice and Covid-19 recovery. Which means they have an effective majority on those committees, and can shoot down any opposition amendments to bills

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1405562066782543876?s=20
  • Options
    Does anyone remember “Oranjeboom” a lager from iirc late 70s? I have, for no discernible reason, the adverts theme song stuck in my head now. Which, given the lyrics, is rather inapt.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    rkrkrk said:

If they’re in age groups which could have been vaccinated but haven’t, they can die for all I care. They are careless with their life and I see no reason to care for theirs.
  • Options
    COVID Summary

Admissions and cases are up. Interestingly, the cases for the 25-29 are slowing down their rate of increase (note crossing below the 15-19).....

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

TOPPING said:

ooooh...

Schools were closed for the first week of June, so cases stopped rising for the second week of June. Then schools reopened, and it looks like cases might have started rising again a week later.

It will be fine- really it will be- but we're still in the edges of the woods.
    To add to @Ishmael_Z's anecdata, neice and nephew say there is Covid everywhere at Uni.
    As someone who works at a university, I don’t understand this as the students will mainly be away from campus now.
    “Now”? I’ve not been on campus since March 2020 other than for 2 weeks in September.
  • Options

If the LDs do win C&A I expect two things:

(1) Mass panic at CCHQ and amongst Tory MPs more broadly, and a big overreaction
    (2) Lots of tediously predictable takes (possibly for years) about the "Blue Wall" in the South

Oh and (3) a bit of crowing by those on here who were bullish about the Lib Dems chances, but that'd be fair enough.

After an absolutely dire last decade or so, it’d be a serious fillip for the LDs. A swathe of seats SW of London would suddenly look very winnable.
    What do the LDs have to say other than “don’t build anything here, ever”? It’s back to whining, lying and hoping never to have to commit, isn’t it.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,860
    What seems to be sinking (have sunk?) Poots is his being outmanoeuvred over the Irish language legislation by Sinn Fein.

Despite agreeing to bring forward legislation to support Gaelic (but also Ulster Scots) in a previous agreement, the DUP have mendaciously blamed Covid for not doing so.

Sinn Fein have appealed to the NI SoS who has promised to bring it in via Westminster if Stormont cannot deliver. Apparently Poots agreed to this - perhaps unknowingly.

So Poots - despite being a hardline nutter, is being impaled by nutters even more hardline.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

The only problem with having Neil do it, is his reputation proceeds him. Freddie Sayers is doing similar type of interviews for Unherd, in which he has a really good manner where he is friendly and chatty, but he knows the stats, and he just points it out when they are talking nonsense in a very polite, "well what about this study which says"...and it is left up to the viewer to make their own decision about if the guest was full of BS or now.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ping said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

What did they achieve?

Why bother?
    A chance to explain themselves and their department, to someone who actually lets them speak, has done his research, and isn’t primarily looking for a ‘gotcha’ clip to get likes on social media?

GB news tickers/clips/summaries etc seemed pretty “gotcha” to me.
  • Options

(1) Mass panic at CCHQ and amongst Tory MPs more broadly, and a big overreaction
    (2) Lots of tediously predictable takes (possibly for years) about the "Blue Wall" in the South

Oh and (3) a bit of crowing by those on here who were bullish about the Lib Dems chances, but that'd be fair enough.

After an absolutely dire last decade or so, it’d be a serious fillip for the LDs. A swathe of seats SW of London would suddenly look very winnable.
    What do the LDs have to say other than “don’t build anything here, ever”? It’s back to whining, lying and hoping never to have to commit, isn’t it.
    Looks like some of the pant-shitting has turned up.

Bet accordingly.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ping said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

What did they achieve?

Why bother?

Agree.
    And Sunak did very well; Neil’s inquisition was ill-aimed.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    ping said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

FFS! Dido Harding has applied for the job as Head of NHS England.

No doubt she will get it as a massive f*u to all of those of us who think Track and Not Trace was a homogenous mess.

I'm mean no real health management experience so obviously no.1 on their list.
    It's not just the lack of health experience but that she's been fucking useless at every senior job she's held. A supermarket manager is about her level. Probably.
    I’m still pissed off with her over the talktalk hack.
    A giant Fuck You from Cressida - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/met-chief-dame-cressida-dick-wont-resign-police-corruption-qm09hhb9j.

She's not even pretending to pay any attention to the report's findings. Rejects them and says she knows she is honourable and acted well throughout.

So that's OK then. Let's not bother having investigations then. Or indeed trials. Or police come to that. Let's just have people announce that they did nothing wrong and ignore all evidence to the contrary.

Honestly, a country which has people like Dido Harding and Cressida Dick in positions more senior than lavatory attendant is a country which has lost its moral compass.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

Does anyone remember “Oranjeboom” a lager from iirc late 70s? I have, for no discernible reason, the adverts theme song stuck in my head now. Which, given the lyrics, is rather inapt.

Its still around, one of those odd unremarkable beers that you see occasionally in an off licence.
  • Options

Looks like some of the pant-shitting has turned up.

Bet accordingly.
    Is that aimed at me? It was an observation about victory in by-election would mark a sea change for the LDs in a GE.

• Options
    Alistair said:

Vaccinations

I recommend Chinese style snatch squads to grab people of the street and vaccinate them in the unmarked van.
    What are you going to vaccinate them with?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    The worst thing about working from home as a noob is the lack of instant feedback. If you draft a piece of work and it’s a pile of shit, you’ll know straight away in person. However remotely, you have to stew in your own anxiety about it.
  • Options
    Remember Dilbert where the PHB outsourced the coding to Elbonia?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Was there any plea from @NicolaSturgeon or @HumzaYousaf for Scotland fans to stay at home to avoid the spread of COVID?

Or did I miss it?

Nope, didn’t think so.

https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/1405558471521677312?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    isam said:

At it again, I see.
  • Options

The worst thing about working from home as a noob is the lack of instant feedback. If you draft a piece of work and it’s a pile of shit, you’ll know straight away in person. However remotely, you have to stew in your own anxiety about it.

My employees know fairly sharpish :-)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ping said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No doubt she will get it as a massive f*u to all of those of us who think Track and Not Trace was a homogenous mess.

It's not just the lack of health experience but that she's been fucking useless at every senior job she's held. A supermarket manager is about her level. Probably.
    A giant Fuck You from Cressida - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/met-chief-dame-cressida-dick-wont-resign-police-corruption-qm09hhb9j.

She's not even pretending to pay any attention to the report's findings. Rejects them and says she knows she is honourable and acted well throughout.

So that's OK then. Let's not bother having investigations then. Or indeed trials. Or police come to that. Let's just have people announce that they did nothing wrong and ignore all evidence to the contrary.

Honestly, a country which has people like Dido Harding and Cressida Dick in positions more senior than lavatory attendant is a country which has lost its moral compass.
    You should contact the United Kingdom's Anti-Corruption Champion, John Penrose MP.

In one of those ironies, he's married to Dido Harding.

Even worse, he used to work for J.P. Morgan and McKinsey.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

It's a lager, not a tune?
  • Options

This is when you learn to use your timesheet to drop hints.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cyclefree said:

ping said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The amazing thing is that Sadiq Khan doesn’t appear to have much to say on the subject.

A previous mayor made it quite clear he’d lost confidence in the Comissioner.
  • Options

My employees know fairly sharpish :-)
    'Please use this as emergency toilet roll.'
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

Yes I agree. Somewhere between a podcast interview and the pointless gotcha rubbish we are used to BBC and Sky.
    That will work well on youtube.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    ping said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He’s no Suzanne Evans.

What did they achieve?

Why bother?
    One reason is to highlight to the party and the leadership the severe electoral problems current policies are going to cause.

Debt, taxation and 2050 Zero in particularly.

• Options
    darkage said:

Its still around, one of those odd unremarkable beers that you see occasionally in an off licence.
    Good grief!
    I remember it as pretty terrible but may try and hunt it down and give it another chance.
    Ta!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314
    Cyclefree said:

ping said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Add in Spielman.

Not that the current chief of NHS England is any use, TBF. He doesn’t make Harding look competent, but I wouldn’t go bail for Williamson.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

ping said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The amazing thing is that Sadiq Khan doesn’t appear to have much to say on the subject.

A previous mayor made it quite clear he’d lost confidence in the Comissioner.
    Sadiq is another third-rater.

Starmer ought to be all over this.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

It's a lager, not a tune?
    That’s the bunny.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

darkage said:

Good grief!
    I remember it as pretty terrible but may try and hunt it down and give it another chance.
    Ta!
    It will probably become all hipster and cool and then charge £5 a pint...like Pabst Blue Ribbon in the US. Famously the cheap crappy beer of the blue collar, $1 a beer normally. Last time I was out in the US, I went to cool bar in Chicago and they were charging crazy prices for it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ping said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Don't worry. She has a signed statement from a completely random member of the public backing her up. Which happens to be a copy of her official report, including typos.

That and all the people who say different has been found to have dodgy pics on the computers. With timestamps *after* they were taken into police custody.
  • Options
    I’m amazed it’s as high as 30%

NEW: Would you trust Boris Johnson or Keir Starmer more to repay a fiver that you lent them?

Deciduous tree Boris Johnson: 30%
    Rose Keir Starmer: 36%

DK: 33%

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1405569577107574791?s=20
  • Options

darkage said:

Good grief!
    Ta!
    It will probably become all hipster and cool and then charge £5 a pint...like Pabst Blue Ribbon in the US. Famously the cheap crappy beer of the blue collar, $1 a beer normally. Last time I was out in the US, I went to cool bar in Chicago and they were charging crazy prices for it.
    It was in a lot of pubs in London back in the early 2010's, not sure if it still is. Slightly stronger than average lager, a bit like Carlsberg Export. Its perfectly ok.
  • Options

darkage said:

Good grief!
    Ta!
    In which case I will send them my bill for my PR/Marketing skills in reintroducing it via the hippest online community in the world.

Next on the list will be wagon wheels.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Cyclefree said:

ping said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

You should contact the United Kingdom's Anti-Corruption Champion, John Penrose MP.

In one of those ironies, he's married to Dido Harding.

Even worse, he used to work for J.P. Morgan and McKinsey.
    Up there with the PM’s new Conflicts of Interest Advisor, Lord Geidt, who was appointed just as the wallpaper fiasco was kicking off.

No formal paperwork apparently exists to confirm quite how Geidt was appointed, but luckily the good Lord was there in time to give Boris the all-clear.

Trebles all round, I believe the expression is.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I’m amazed it’s as high as 30%

NEW: Would you trust Boris Johnson or Keir Starmer more to repay a fiver that you lent them?

Deciduous tree Boris Johnson: 30%
    Rose Keir Starmer: 36%

DK: 33%

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1405569577107574791?s=20

I thought Starmer's USP was he was super trustworthy bloke, but the public don't seem to think their £5 is much safer with the former head of the CPS....
  • Options
    edited June 2021

darkage said:

Good grief!
    Ta!
    In which case I will send them my bill for my PR/Marketing skills in reintroducing it via the hippest online community in the world.

Next on the list will be wagon wheels.
    Nought wrong with a wagon wheel....other I remember as a kid them being THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHISSSSSSSSSSS big....now they are tiny.

And don't get me started on Curly Whirly's, they used to last me a good half hour to eat as a small person.
  • Options

Look at Cornwall. Impact of the G7 summit or is that too soon?
  • Options

Look at Cornwall. Impact of the G7 summit or is that too soon?
    Perhaps just impact of holidaymakers.

Or perhaps arrival of seasonal workers.
This discussion has been closed.