Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Three Mistakes – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited June 2021 in General
Three Mistakes – politicalbetting.com

The mood music has changed. It seems that Step 4 – the lifting of the remaining legal restrictions – will no longer be happening on June 21st. Indeed, there are some advisors (mostly health professionals of some kind or other) who seem to think that these (social distancing, in particular) should continue indefinitely and for all sorts of reasons: to deal with flu, the backlog in cancer care, other respiratory diseases etc. Quite what sort of society or life they think this will mean for humans who are, par excellence, social beings is not explained. It’s like having the nerdy, spotty teenager who lives almost entirely in his bedroom decide that everyone else in the family should live like that too. Normally, this would be met with derision and a firm command to get washed, downstairs and showing some manners to Auntie Pamela who’s come for tea. We are not in normal times, alas. It is less the presence of Covid and more the apparent absence of any sort of courage and basic common-sense which makes this so.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    "Vaccinations are the answer to Covid as Chris Whitty said in spring 2020."

And now we have over 6 million of them sitting in a warehouse doing nothing, while people turn up at drop in centres and told to go home by mid morning as they have run out.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    "Senior ministers have signed off a decision to delay the lifting of all coronavirus restrictions in England beyond 21 June.

Government sources have told the BBC most current rules will remain for another four weeks after this date. It means nightclubs will stay closed and people will be encouraged to still work from home where possible. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to confirm the delay later at a press conference. The extension will be put to a Commons vote this month and could trigger a sizeable Conservative backbench rebellion."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57464097
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Andy_JS said:

"Senior ministers have signed off a decision to delay the lifting of all coronavirus restrictions in England beyond 21 June.

Government sources have told the BBC most current rules will remain for another four weeks after this date. It means nightclubs will stay closed and people will be encouraged to still work from home where possible. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to confirm the delay later at a press conference. The extension will be put to a Commons vote this month and could trigger a sizeable Conservative backbench rebellion."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57464097

Lock her us up....Lock her us up....Lock her us up
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Great piece Cyclefee.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Point of order - what’s the evidence we haven’t kept “foreigners” out? Surely most of the arriving pax have either been citizens or legal residents returning home? In many cases people who don’t fit that category have been barred from entry (and see the hissy fit the Guardian throws if a job hunting EU citizen is detained at the border.)

If you do want to go down the close the borders route you have to do what Australia did and bar citizens/residents from leaving the country in the first place. Either that or abandon citizens abroad to their fates in COVID hot spots with failing healthcare systems.

Yes, the hotel quarantine system was set up a year too late and yes the “isolate at home” has been a joke - but not because we’ve let “foreigners” in, but returning Brits.

That’s a fair point, a lot of the travellers from India were British - who had gone to India to work from home and visit family under much less onerous restrictions than in the U.K. - until the situation there reversed, and they all wanted to come back!

I do find it hard to have sympathy with people travelling voluntarily during a pandemic though. I’m staying put for a few months longer.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    The Delta variant is starting to seriously worry some in the US:

https://twitter.com/bob_wachter/status/1404151502864883713?s=21
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,398
    Re point one, vaccination rates. It is probably a bit late to revisit the age-based priority scheme but the success of various ad hoc pop-up vaccination centres suggests that we should systematically take vaccines to where people's arms are: factories; schools; shopping centres, and also, but separately, offer out-of-hours jabs for those who cannot take a day off (twice).

To the extent there is a supply problem with some vaccines and excess stocks of others, perhaps we could make a virtue of necessity, given evidence that mixed vaccinations can be even better.
  • Options
    A tremendous article. Superb. I also happen to agree with it all, although you don't have to like something to think it's excellent.

And this is most amusing in a very bitter-sweet way:

'It’s like having the nerdy, spotty teenager who lives almost entirely in his bedroom decide that everyone else in the family should live like that too. Normally, this would be met with derision and a firm command to get washed, downstairs and showing some manners to Auntie Pamela who’s come for tea. We are not in normal times, alas. It is less the presence of Covid and more the apparent absence of any sort of courage and basic common-sense which makes this so.'
  • Options

Re point one, vaccination rates. It is probably a bit late to revisit the age-based priority scheme but the success of various ad hoc pop-up vaccination centres suggests that we should systematically take vaccines to where people's arms are: factories; schools; shopping centres, and also, but separately, offer out-of-hours jabs for those who cannot take a day off (twice).

To the extent there is a supply problem with some vaccines and excess stocks of others, perhaps we could make a virtue of necessity, given evidence that mixed vaccinations can be even better.

Yep.

I've said ad nauseam for the past month that we should have offered 24/7 clinics especially in every University town and city. Students would, without question, have rolled up their sleeves in the early hours for jabs.

Cyclefree is right: complacency set in. Which is typical Johnson I'm afraid.
  • Options
    One other thing for the Boris trumpeters before they arrive on here:

It is possible to support and admire someone whilst still acknowledging their mistakes.

• Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

It is possible to support and admire someone whilst still acknowledging their mistakes.

Thats one of T Blair's biggest failings.... he never admitted Iraq was/remains morally/legally wrong...
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353

I am not a Boris trumpeter, I try to add a sense of perspective versus the Boris haters on here who froth daily about anything Boris related.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    55 MPs needed for a confidence vote.

35 voted against renewing the Coronavirus Act.

Keep an eye on the difference between those two figures. That’s one place Johnson really will care about his core support.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    Good morning

The header makes some good points though I still am unsure how we could prevent our fellow Brits from returning to their homes in the UK, having visited family in India, without freezing them out of the Country for months as per Australia

The public enquiry is years away sadly, so we can all speculate and have our views and it is without doubt that mistakes have been made, sometimes more than once.

I know this is a trigger for some but GBNews are reporting that Rishi is not going to extend furlough

This could be the most important announcement today as furlough has to be the biggest reason why the populace are content to accept lockdown, and indeed have become risk averse , aided and abetted by the zero covid zealots led by independent sage and lapped up by the media

And on the G7 it just underwhelmed in every way leaving the impression it was just a long photo shoot with beach bbqs and no social distancing

I do not agree with Gordon Brown often, but for the G7 to struggle to promise 1 billion vaccines to the world when 11 billion is needed was poor, and Joe Biden's commitment of just 500 million doses was far too low from the onset

Furthermore, I have no idea what they agreed on climate change and of course Macron put his foot in it over the NI protocol and ensured a bitter dispute followed. Of course the EU favour Russia and China just when Joe Biden is seeking support in dealing with them causing more division

All in all a depressing weekend but at least the weather is good and of course England won
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Keep an eye on the difference between those two figures. That’s one place Johnson really will care about his core support.

Yes but Labour will vote for HMG

Surreal really
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

Good morning

The header makes some good points though I still am unsure how we could prevent our fellow Brits from returning to their homes in the UK, having visited family in India, without freezing them out of the Country for months as per Australia

The public enquiry is years away sadly, so we can all speculate and have our views and it is without doubt that mistakes have been made, sometimes more than once.

I know this is a trigger for some but GBNews are reporting that Rishi is not going to extend furlough

This could be the most important announcement today as furlough has to be the biggest reason why the populace are content to accept lockdown, and indeed have become risk averse , aided and abetted by the zero covid zealots led by independent sage and lapped up by the media

And on the G7 it just underwhelmed in every way leaving the impression it was just a long photo shoot with beach bbqs and no social distancing

I do not agree with Gordon Brown often, but for the G7 to struggle to promise 1 billion vaccines to the world when 11 billion is needed was poor, and Joe Biden's commitment of just 500 million doses was far too low from the onset

Furthermore, I have no idea what they agreed on climate change and of course Macron put his foot in it over the NI protocol and ensured a bitter dispute followed. Of course the EU favour Russia and China just when Joe Biden is seeking support in dealing with them causing more division

All in all a depressing weekend but at least the weather is good and of course England won

Actually England lost by 8 wickets after a shameful display and bizarre team selection. The winning of a kick ball match is poor compensation.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Surreal really
    They can’t vote for him if a vote of confidence is called by the 22.

Yes, he would win it easily but as we saw with May, a large rebellion could still hole him below the waterline.

If you’re (well, GB news is) right about furlough not being extended, that’s going to damage him as well.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    ydoethur said:

Not as single Tory MPs will support a No Confidence vote in the Commons but if you are referring to one relating to Johnson's Tory leadership (ie all those famed letters to Sir Graham Brady), then the probability of that happening when the party has an opinion poll lead of 10% is also close to zero.

Rebellion on any vote extending the restrictions is quite another matter.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Surreal really
    They can’t vote for him if a vote of confidence is called by the 22.

Yes, he would win it easily but as we saw with May, a large rebellion could still hole him below the waterline.

If you’re (well, GB news is) right about furlough not being extended, that’s going to damage him as well.
    Sorry I misunderstood that you were actually referring to the 22 committee
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Good morning

Actually England lost by 8 wickets after a shameful display and bizarre team selection. The winning of a kick ball match is poor compensation.
    Yes, but the lack of alternatives mean they will continue the bizarre selection of Root as captain.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Agree with every word of the header
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

Not as single Tory MPs will support a No Confidence vote in the Commons but if you are referring to one relating to Johnson's Tory leadership (ie all those famed letters to Sir Graham Brady), then the probability of that happening when the party has an opinion poll lead of 10% is also close to zero.

Rebellion on any vote extending the restrictions is quite another matter.
    Absolutely. Johnson is going nowhere and no Tory MP wants him out.

The restrictions extension meanwhile, not so much.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited June 2021
    And on topic I would say good header (it is of course) were it not for the fact that small children in Batley could have written the same, so obvious was it that there would be this delay.

We now wait to see how loud the murmurings about the forthcoming autumn/winter spike will be to see if the new date will be pushed back further.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    DavidL said:

I agree with much of this head piece ( like @CarlottaVance I have some reservations about the second point) but what should the governments be doing in the current circumstances?

It seems to me that there have been at least 3 elements to our comparative failure to jab enough over the last month.

Firstly, and possibly most importantly, there have been supply issues. Vaccines that the government were counting on have not arrived. Our governments have been a bit more grown up about that than the EU were. We have simply accepted that that is what happens and there has been no overt criticism of the suppliers. But we have not reassessed our priorities in terms of what we have. In particular we have not mixed vaccines (probably increasing their efficacy) and made use of the AZ available. So I got a second pfizer on Saturday because that is what I had had the first time. Pfizer is needed to vaccinate the younger people sharing the queue with me, I didn't need it.

Secondly, there is clearly more vaccine resistance than the government has been willing to admit. Again, not really the government's fault but how to respond? The answer to me seems obvious: if vaccinations are the way to freedom incentivise their uptake by giving those freedoms. If you are a masochist and want to watch England play cricket or go to a football match or a night club show you are vaccinated or have had a very recent lateral flow test. If you want more than 30 at your wedding there should be no limit provided they are all double vaccinated. Instead we are doing the opposite. In Scotland this has reached insane levels: I have no evidence that I have been vaccinated. I can write for a letter but only if I am travelling abroad in the next 14 days. In England it seems a bit better but the government runs scared of vaccine passports and the threat of discrimination against minorities who are less keen to be vaccinated. I say to hell with that. We should be discriminating in favour of those who have done the right thing and got vaccinated. That is how we drive uptake of the vaccine and complete this program.

Thirdly, I agree with those who say we should have had 24 hour clinics, smaller more accessible clinics, outreach programs at Universities, schools and work places. There is simply nothing more important in terms of recovering our freedom. I am not sure I would put this down to complacency but there has been a clear and obvious lack of urgency and this needs to be addressed.

We have lost another month as a result of these failings. We really do not want to lose any more.

There should have been mandatory quarantine in guarded locations right from the start, any idiot that went out of the country should have been held for minimum 10 day period at their expense on return.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    DavidL said:

I haven't followed the test match or the football - away for the weekend.

Did the cricket management fit over old tweets have any material impact?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Good assessment of the situation in the header. Can't disagree with any of it. Some people will be more frustrated than others based on personal circumstances.

I have been travelling a lot by train over the past days and have noticed increased mask disobedience and police patrols, the £6400 fines are looking increasingly disproportionate. Perhaps an extension to lockdown might be worthwhile if people rediscover an interest in their ancient liberties as a result of this brief experience of being in a police state.

Nice to get Big G's reports from GB News!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Excellent piece @Cyclefree

Time for Johnson to get a grip on his advisors.

Two week delay to vaccinate all over 50 and give them two weeks to get immunity up to speed and then do step 4.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tlg86 said:

I think shutting the borders is one thing almost everyone on here agrees on. The question is, why didn't the government do it? My guess is that the aviation industry is an incredibly powerful lobby group and the Tories can't afford to ignore them.

But added to that, had the government gone for the full AUS/NZ option, then I think the media would have kicked off big time. Just listening to Kay Burley question a minister about not shutting the border with India. Remember, this is the silly cow that f***** off to Africa after she got suspended from Sky News for breaking lockdown rules.

I suspect they would lose their slots
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    At the end of the day, the evidence is strong that 2x vaccinations results in very good protection against the Delta variant.

The solution can only be vaccinations — and quickly, as it has been all along.

The remaining hold-outs in the higher age categories cannot be all "anti vaxers". Some of them might simply be reluctant and until it's made incredibly easy for them to just rock up and get one, they probably won't. Especially if they work long hours or have other commitments.

So. Long hour, 7 days a week, walk-in vax centres are needed everywhere. We also need more public health campaigns.

"Vaccine passports" will probably work as part of nudge theory, but it wont be quick. People will just start getting vaccinated only when they need to, depending on their plans.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,194
    I think on the whole the public will say: OK Boris, 4 more weeks, we can live with that, but get the remaining vaccines sorted ASAP!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Good morning. Not read OP yet, its long, will tackle it later.

Switched on GB News and the studio seems awfully pixellated. Looks like they've got an SD camera instead of an HD one in the studio. Oddly the on the road presenter looks better.

Quite frankly its pretty unwatchable. Why the hell invest in a new TV channel, new studios, new broadcast, and well known names for broadcasting - but not invest in a decent studio and decent cameras?
  • Options
    OldBasingOldBasing Posts: 168
    Great header. I wonder if the slow down in the vaccine roll out is because we're now vaxxing through a large chunk of the working age population, rather than the Boomers. The former can't get time off work, so need to go to be jabbed in the evenings / weekends. I had to book mine for after 7pm. If there is going to be a 4 week delay to lifting restrictions, jabs need to go in arms ASAP and in a way that makes it easy for working people. All night vax centres??
  • Options
    darkage said:

Good assessment of the situation in the header. Can't disagree with any of it. Some people will be more frustrated than others based on personal circumstances.

I have been travelling a lot by train over the past days and have noticed increased mask disobedience and police patrols, the £6400 fines are looking increasingly disproportionate. Perhaps an extension to lockdown might be worthwhile if people rediscover an interest in their ancient liberties as a result of this brief experience of being in a police state.

To be honest it does seem very different and it could appeal to many who want a change from Sky and BBC
  • Options
    IanB2 said:
    Beth Rigby was obsessed over the NI protocol throughout and her pro EU leanings fully exposed
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    Maybe they are listening. Edward Argar saying exactly that. Zero Covid is not possible and we have to live with it,
  • Options

darkage said:

To be honest it does seem very different and it could appeal to many who want a change from Sky and BBC
    That's me
  • Options

Switched on GB News and the studio seems awfully pixellated. Looks like they've got an SD camera instead of an HD one in the studio. Oddly the on the road presenter looks better.

Quite frankly its pretty unwatchable. Why the hell invest in a new TV channel, new studios, new broadcast, and well known names for broadcasting - but not invest in a decent studio and decent cameras?

I do think the studio is poor and needs to be revised
  • Options
    "Embracing the statist doctrine of a permanent war on Covid will end badly for the Conservatives"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/13/orwellian-britain-lockdown-perpetual-sickness-health/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Good morning; a bright sunny day again, the forecast is good. I read yesterday that there is a shortage of good quality TV/film cameras and other equipment; so many people are filming things that there isn't, in Britain anyway, enough to go round.
    And, for some reason, importing 'stuff' is difficult now!
  • Options

darkage said:

I've switched it off after 10 minutes. Its unwatchable, and the sound isn't working properly either.

These things are pretty damn basic things to get right.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Past their best just like the reporters, bunch of has beens / would have beens , comic singers and just wrong un's.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Completely agree with all three points.
    Particularly - actually, particularly all three, so that doesn’t help.

I think they got complacent with how well the unlocking was going, decided that we’d won and just needed to play it out, and took their foot of the throttle on all levels.

Doing everything they could to accelerate Novavax.

Ensuring everyone coming in from India self-isolated (and getting nice hotels available, laying on the transport to them (and requiring those coming out of passport control to go directly there, funding the hotels, and paying any salary for those self-isolating would have cost negligible amounts in comparison to the cost of not doing it.

Saying again and again that vaccines work great, but only after they’ve been given, that whilst the younger are less vulnerable, this doesn’t equate to not vulnerable, and that when the vax programme is complete, we’re opening up anyway because we can’t eradicate the damn thing completely.

Why didn’t they do those things? I mean, it’s easy to say after the event that “they should do something”, without being specific, but these are specific and obvious things that many here were saying all along.

Unforgivable stupidity.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    OldBasing said:

Great header. I wonder if the slow down in the vaccine roll out is because we're now vaxxing through a large chunk of the working age population, rather than the Boomers. The former can't get time off work, so need to go to be jabbed in the evenings / weekends. I had to book mine for after 7pm. If there is going to be a 4 week delay to lifting restrictions, jabs need to go in arms ASAP and in a way that makes it easy for working people. All night vax centres??

The Government could require employers to give people paid time off for a vaccination (just as it could have done for self-isolation after a positive test)
  • Options

"Embracing the statist doctrine of a permanent war on Covid will end badly for the Conservatives"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/13/orwellian-britain-lockdown-perpetual-sickness-health/

I genuinely believe Boris will find support for the delay but not for any further delays

Of course the schools will have broken up and therefore it should be easier to just let us get our lives back
  • Options
    OldBasing said:

Don't employees have a right to time off for medical appointments?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Two places to watch the data for:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Cheshire East

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Cheshire West and Chester

They're further out from the Bolton epicentre but encouragingly look to have a smaller rise of less duration.

If they continue to 'flatten the curve' then it suggests that the Indian variant will have progressively less effect as it moves through the country and the overall numbers might soon stabilize.
  • Options

darkage said:

I've switched it off after 10 minutes. Its unwatchable, and the sound isn't working properly either.

Actually I have it on in the background and it seems OK, but like anything new needs to learn how to improve

Anything is better than Burley
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Past their best just like the reporters, bunch of has beens / would have beens , comic singers and just wrong un's.
    ..and have you actually watched it ? Thought not. Instant kneejerk reaction of zero value.
  • Options
    MattW said:

DavidL said:

I haven't followed the test match or the football - away for the weekend.

Did the cricket management fit over old tweets have any material impact?
    They got the approval of some people on Twitter 👍
  • Options

Good morning; a bright sunny day again, the forecast is good. I read yesterday that there is a shortage of good quality TV/film cameras and other equipment; so many people are filming things that there isn't, in Britain anyway, enough to go round.
    Raining here
  • Options

Completely agree with all three points.
    Particularly - actually, particularly all three, so that doesn’t help.

I think they got complacent with how well the unlocking was going, decided that we’d won and just needed to play it out, and took their foot of the throttle on all levels.

Doing everything they could to accelerate Novavax.

Ensuring everyone coming in from India self-isolated (and getting nice hotels available, laying on the transport to them (and requiring those coming out of passport control to go directly there, funding the hotels, and paying any salary for those self-isolating would have cost negligible amounts in comparison to the cost of not doing it.

Saying again and again that vaccines work great, but only after they’ve been given, that whilst the younger are less vulnerable, this doesn’t equate to not vulnerable, and that when the vax programme is complete, we’re opening up anyway because we can’t eradicate the damn thing completely.

Why didn’t they do those things? I mean, it’s easy to say after the event that “they should do something”, without being specific, but these are specific and obvious things that many here were saying all along.

Unforgivable stupidity.

Smug, self-satisfied complacent lethargy is the defining feature of the British establishment.
  • Options
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

I think shutting the borders is one thing almost everyone on here agrees on. The question is, why didn't the government do it? My guess is that the aviation industry is an incredibly powerful lobby group and the Tories can't afford to ignore them.

But added to that, had the government gone for the full AUS/NZ option, then I think the media would have kicked off big time. Just listening to Kay Burley question a minister about not shutting the border with India. Remember, this is the silly cow that f***** off to Africa after she got suspended from Sky News for breaking lockdown rules.

I suspect they would lose their slots
    At the time all the advice was not to shut the borders. Be it SAGE, the WHO or Public Health England. Advice was followed.
  • Options

I genuinely believe Boris will find support for the delay but not for any further delays

Of course the schools will have broken up and therefore it should be easier to just let us get our lives back
    I don't get to talk with all that many people nowadays ...... my 'local' has a problem that trumps even Ms Cyclefree's daughter's ..... but what I have heard is a general expectation of a delay, plus a general condemnation of the Government for allowing flights from a heavily infected India, with no quarantine on arrival.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    Its a great piece Cyclefree. The key takeaway of course is that when harsh reality is spoken about the godawful job done by this government, the people saying so then show their displeasure by voting Tory.

Which is why the government will continue to be a clown car full of liars doing stupid. You always get the correct result in elections and this is what people (in England) voted for.

In the words of angry Brexiteers, suck it up.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Morning, everyone.

Not surprised. Also not pleased.

F1: slightly weirdly both the French GP and drivers' title markets aren't up on Ladbrokes any more. I checked my Twitter list but nothing dramatic appears to have happened. That I can see, anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Raining here
    In-laws, in their holiday home 20 miles to the West of you were saying how wonderful it was there yesterday!
    Gloat!
    Shouldn't of course; wrong to do so.
    But!
  • Options

At the end of the day, the evidence is strong that 2x vaccinations results in very good protection against the Delta variant.

The solution can only be vaccinations — and quickly, as it has been all along.

The remaining hold-outs in the higher age categories cannot be all "anti vaxers". Some of them might simply be reluctant and until it's made incredibly easy for them to just rock up and get one, they probably won't. Especially if they work long hours or have other commitments.

So. Long hour, 7 days a week, walk-in vax centres are needed everywhere. We also need more public health campaigns.

"Vaccine passports" will probably work as part of nudge theory, but it wont be quick. People will just start getting vaccinated only when they need to, depending on their plans.

Its probably best to leave the 'nervous nellies' until the one dose J&J becomes available.

If getting them to receive one dose is hard then getting them to receive the second will likely be impossible if they have any sort of reaction to the first.
  • Options

darkage said:

Actually I have it on in the background and it seems OK, but like anything new needs to learn how to improve

Yes, Burley is pretty awful. I watched a little bit of it. Seems okay. Can’t say it’s targeting me with its approach but I wish it well as we need diversity of views across the media. I did smile at the predictable comments on Twitter about it though,
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

This is old media thinking. Gammon Boomer News is about reach not ratings so production standards don't really matter.
  • Options

Raining here
    In-laws, in their holiday home 20 miles to the West of you were saying how wonderful it was there yesterday!
    Gloat!
    It was a fabulous day yesterday and Llandudno, with its two Ormes, looked just like parts of the South of France
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

darkage said:

How about something that isn't 24 hours of a desperate attempt to fill what would otherwise be static.

There is an interview in yesterday's Sunday Times which inadvertently highlights everything that is wrong with modern news (and from that an awful lot)

Robert Smith of the Cure once wrecked a hotel room in New Zealand. That was a big enough story (and the Cure a big enough band) that a 1980's newspaper editor thought it was worth reporting which meant his parents found out and told him off

Nowadays sneezing in public might be enough to end up appearing on an internet "News" website. And that desperate attempt to make everything and anything into a story means a lot of things aren't reported with any prior thought or care - static / pixels need to be filled come what may even if it means writing articles based on very incomplete data.
  • Options
    That was surreal

Just looked at the tv and saw Isabel Webster presenting and thought the tv had defaulted to Sky
  • Options
    Taz said:

Maybe they are listening. Edward Argar saying exactly that. Zero Covid is not possible and we have to live with it,

The Guernsey CMO has been saying that for over a year….
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    The government bizarrely and pointlessly undermined the success of its own world-beating vaccine programme by saying that in the spring that it was lockdown that kept deaths down, not vaccinations. Given that, I'm surprised that uptake has remained as high as it has.

I seem to be the only person on here who doesn't think quarantine would have done much if any good. It's a massive denial of civil liberties for people, 99% uselessly since most people aren't infected, and it's not entirely effective, even in Australia, where it's imposed globally. Here, there's a lot of evidence that people simply fly through third countries, there would be a big rush just before it is imposed which would get you lots of new cases, and the crowded airport arrival halls where people have to stay longer are perfect for spreading diseases. And it would only buy you a little time anyway as the virus would arrive through other sources.

Vaccines are the answer at this stage. Neither lockdowns nor quarantine matter compared to that.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    tlg86 said:

Going to Africa (or South Korea like Theresa May) is fine as long as you follow the quarantine rules at either end. Adam Hills on The Last Leg shuttled between the UK and Australia and that meant repeated 2 week quarantines in Australia and repeated nothing at all in the UK. How do we get UK nationals home asked Big G - quarantine them!!!

The big question now is what they do with furlough and other support. Supposedly they are both not letting sectors reopen and ending furlough. Knowing the current polity the people who lose their jobs and their homes will be expressing their outrage by voting Tory.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. NorthWales, most surreal TV experience for me was trying to reconcile Crichton and Aeryn[sp] from Farscape as the two new regular cast members for the latter series of Stargate SG-1.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

malcolmg said:

..and have you actually watched it ? Thought not. Instant kneejerk reaction of zero value.
    I watched about 20 min of it last night out of curiosity. Really poor production quality, and mostly seemed to be the producers smugly interviewing each other, and repeating the same old clichés. There didn't seem to be much actual news.

There will be an audience I suppose. Some people watch any old drivel.
  • Options
    R4 - ScotGov reducing AZ gap from 12 weeks to 8 - have E/W/NI done same?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    Go news seems to be trying to be shit this morning. Sound quality all over the place, notably on anyone out of the studio, or via video link.

• Options

I had my second AZ after 9 weeks. About three weeks ago.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

I watched about 20 min of it last night out of curiosity. Really poor production quality, and mostly seemed to be the producers smugly interviewing each other, and repeating the same old clichés. There didn't seem to be much actual news.

I only watched for ~10 minutes but the bit I saw had a long section where someone from the BMA was speaking, uninterrupted, about why he thought extending lockdown was a good thing. I don't agree whatsoever, but having guests speaking uninterrupted is refreshing.

Just a shame its unwatchable from the awful production standards.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    edited June 2021

I don't get to talk with all that many people nowadays ...... my 'local' has a problem that trumps even Ms Cyclefree's daughter's ..... but what I have heard is a general expectation of a delay, plus a general condemnation of the Government for allowing flights from a heavily infected India, with no quarantine on arrival.
    Local social media posts are on the whole still supportive of restrictions and uncritical of the government, except for the missing travel ban. On the "communications" issue, Cyclefree misses the point as far as Johnson is concerned. The purpose of his communications is to maintain support for the Government, at which he is very successful, so far. He would be puzzled by any suggestion that communications should primarily deal with other matters, such as Covid policy.
  • Options

Yes. I have my second next week, AZ, 8 weeks to the day after 1st.

PS I'm under 40 and they're saying that under 40s shouldn't get AZ anymore for the first, but I believe my second will still be AZ. Any reason to be concerned from this or ask for something else instead?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    Taz said:

darkage said:

Yes, Burley is pretty awful. I watched a little bit of it. Seems okay. Can’t say it’s targeting me with its approach but I wish it well as we need diversity of views across the media. I did smile at the predictable comments on Twitter about it though,
    Yeah, the astroturfing by the GBNews team was quite funny.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

The government bizarrely and pointlessly undermined the success of its own world-beating vaccine programme by saying that in the spring that it was lockdown that kept deaths down, not vaccinations. Given that, I'm surprised that uptake has remained as high as it has.

I seem to be the only person on here who doesn't think quarantine would have done much if any good. It's a massive denial of civil liberties for people, 99% uselessly since most people aren't infected, and it's not entirely effective, even in Australia, where it's imposed globally. Here, there's a lot of evidence that people simply fly through third countries, there would be a big rush just before it is imposed which would get you lots of new cases, and the crowded airport arrival halls where people have to stay longer are perfect for spreading diseases. And it would only buy you a little time anyway as the virus would arrive through other sources.

Vaccines are the answer at this stage. Neither lockdowns nor quarantine matter compared to that.

Indian quarantine would have brought time for the vaccination program to push ahead.
    We're behind now because of the large number of delta variant seedings that took place.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Indian quarantine would have brought time for the vaccination program to push ahead.
    We're behind now because of the large number of delta variant seedings that took place.
    A big advantage of quarantine is that it reduced the number travelling to begin with.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Even if, optimistcally, quarantine cut that number by a quarter, that still only buys you an extra day or two.
  • Options
    It seems GB News has rattled a few people. God knows why. I doubt it will last a year.

https://stopfundinghate.info/2021/06/14/gb-news-advertisers/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

darkage said:

Yeah, the astroturfing by the GBNews team was quite funny.
    GBNews, winning here.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

If GB News is to be a serious proposition rather than a talking shop for right wing conspiracists and loons it will need to attract high-level interviewees from across the political spectrum. I am not sure it will b able to do so. Why would anyone from Labour, the LibDems or the SNP bother?

The left is often - and fairly - criticised for mistaking Twitter for real life. On first view, it seems GB News has as well.

• Options

The de facto vaccination gap is 78 days right now.
  • Options

PS I'm under 40 and they're saying that under 40s shouldn't get AZ anymore for the first, but I believe my second will still be AZ. Any reason to be concerned from this or ask for something else instead?
    Blood clots are associated with the first jab, not the second so you should be fine.
  • Options

I think you are better off getting advice from your clinician on the first matter in the second they have done trials mixing and matching but I don’t think they have been completed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The de facto vaccination gap is 78 days right now.
    Eveeyone I know seems to bd shorter than this now though, must be some drop off from 1st to 2nd...
  • Options

Go news seems to be trying to be shit this morning. Sound quality all over the place, notably on anyone out of the studio, or via video link.

It's early days.. give them a break. The first breakfast tv was shite and has been ever since.. Daybreak TV is always shite.
    We will see if GB tv follows the trend....
  • Options

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

I only watched for ~10 minutes but the bit I saw had a long section where someone from the BMA was speaking, uninterrupted, about why he thought extending lockdown was a good thing. I don't agree whatsoever, but having guests speaking uninterrupted is refreshing.

Just a shame its unwatchable from the awful production standards.
    And in that segment the BMA rep said that we should all understand that nowhere in Europe is lifting its restrictions at this time, which to be honest is a fair point
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

Point of order - what’s the evidence we haven’t kept “foreigners” out? Surely most of the arriving pax have either been citizens or legal residents returning home? In many cases people who don’t fit that category have been barred from entry (and see the hissy fit the Guardian throws if a job hunting EU citizen is detained at the border.)

If you do want to go down the close the borders route you have to do what Australia did and bar citizens/residents from leaving the country in the first place. Either that or abandon citizens abroad to their fates in COVID hot spots with failing healthcare systems.

Yes, the hotel quarantine system was set up a year too late and yes the “isolate at home” has been a joke - but not because we’ve let “foreigners” in, but returning Brits.

I don't see why we couldn't have a halfway house on this. Anyone who wants to leave, fine, go where you like. Don't expect us to come and bale you out.
    Anyone who wants to come in - two weeks in hotel quarantine. No ifs, no buts.

If people really want to go and enjoy experiencing the 3rd world during a pandemic, fine - let them. But we could have made it fairly explicit that this would be entirely their problem - it's two weeks at your expense in a quarantine hotel if and when you decide you want to come back.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Cheshire East

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Cheshire West and Chester

They're further out from the Bolton epicentre but encouragingly look to have a smaller rise of less duration.

If they continue to 'flatten the curve' then it suggests that the Indian variant will have progressively less effect as it moves through the country and the overall numbers might soon stabilize.

Another thing to watch out for is anyone using the word exponential or predicting hospitalisations will be anything above 20% of January to justify further restrictions.

Either are clear signs that bollox is being pedalled.
  • Options

Another thing to watch out for is anyone using the word exponential or predicting hospitalisations will be anything above 20% of January to justify further restrictions.

100,000 cases a day someone was spouting off about on Twitter.
  • Options

Another thing to look at is the heatmap. The spread is extremely heavily dominated by 15-19, followed by 20-24.

The vaccines are working. Its stupid to be extending lockdown.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Taz said:

The Guernsey CMO has been saying that for over a year….
    Which is why Guernsey has always had loose travel restrictions.

Travel restrictions are thr foundation of a zero covid strategy.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I am not a Boris trumpeter, I try to add a sense of perspective versus the Boris haters on here who froth daily about anything Boris related.
    You have no self awareness
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Another thing to look at is the heatmap. The spread is extremely heavily dominated by 15-19, followed by 20-24.

The vaccines are working. Its stupid to be extending lockdown.
    It is sensible if it is to provide the number of second vaccinations needed, but Boris does need to say it will not be renewed in July and we will proceed with freedom day then, not least to take the public with him
This discussion has been closed.