Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Boundary changes – the winners and losers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. JohnL, ISIS had been in the news for months if not years at that point.

You don't get to join the Nazis in 1946 and claim surprise that they aren't nice.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The Times briefing today is an effing disgrace.

Can we have Boris on the record ASAP. As Morris and Alex have pointed out, we are doing better than even the BEST CASE Sage scenario.

Boris is on the record as saying nothing in the data to postpone the date.

Until he says otherwise I'd take anonymous briefings from "a Cabinet Minister" with an entire box of salt.
    Maybe. But if so it is shocking government discipline verging on criminal.

My guess is that a quote from a "Cabinet Minister" doesn't end up on the front page of The Times by accident and without knowledge from No.10.

They are fucking with us. Fair enough, for many this is no great surprise. But for many others it is seriously damaging to their mental health, financial situation and much else.

If they now open, distress will have been caused by this headline, if they postpone, distress will be caused because they postpone.

No doubt the PB Govt Covid Appreciation Society will cheer on whatever the govt decides and how they decide it.
    I've no doubt that they have discussed whether a short delay is (a) needed and (b) can be sold on the basis of the vaccination programme. George Eustace was talking about a short delay just now on R5. Personally I think they should not but I will not now be surprised if there is a delay. I think the preference may be to do away with the restrictions in one go, rather than the step 3.5 approach, and that may be how it is sold.
    I think a delay is coming. Whether that is a continuation of where we are or further relaxing but the maintenance of, say, masks and wfh.

Either way I am shocked and amazed because all of PB is telling us that they should have opened up fully weeks ago.

I will be interested to see the reaction of many on here if they decide to wait a while.
    I think, if there is genuine concern among the scientists/ministers about the 21st unlocking then it will be the time to try out a bit of trust in the public.

Ditch all the legal restrictions, as expected. But ask people to be careful for a few weeks (could be the mooted couple of weeks to double-jab all over 50s, for example) particularly if not double vaccinated. Please meet outdoors when you can. Have the windows open when you can't. Perhaps advise (but don't require) masks inside. Ask people to do a rapid test before attending higher risk events (mass gatherings, weddings, nightclubs etc).
    Sounds good to me.....apart from it will generate a slew of posts on here from advocates of the "Sweden policy" confirming that they were right all along!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited June 2021
    BBC Woman's Hour
    @BBCWomansHour
    'Expectations were set too high.'
    In an exclusive interview, @DidoHarding
    joined @EmmaBarnett
    to discuss her tenure as head of the NHS Test and Trace initiative until her resignation in April of this year https://bbc.in/3ptQmHb

At least one can be certain that expectations will be appropriately meagre for whatever vehicle Dido attaches herself to next.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

He’s not as bad as Michael Foot

Only Cameron and Blair have made it to be PM from LOTO within the last 42 years. Nations with lower (Outside of dictatorships) turnover in that time period - PAP (Singapore), who else ?
    You need to be able to dazzle to go from LotO to PM. That’s all I ever really said, it’s tough.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

As time ticks on and they can measure the antibody levels in more and more people over longer and longer since infection, more positive news comes out about retention of immunity.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41423-021-00708-6

A month after "at least 9 months", we're at "at least 10 months" with no indication of further waning.
    Including in the elderly.

Bodes well.

Interesting, and indeed good news.

I have heard that there is a study in the works for antibodies from vaccination. Similar to the Edinburgh stuff, but now an extended time frame. Have you heard anything on that?
    Haven't seen anything, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't even better.
  • Options

However, Michael Carberry, who played six Tests for England between 2010 and 2014, told 5 Live that Robinson "wouldn't be playing Test cricket" if it was up to him, adding: "I don't believe this is a problem where you can rehabilitate someone."

I presume he also believes criminals must all be locked up forever....as they also clearly can't be reformed.

As someone normally on the side of what the reactionaries call the woke, two things need to be said. Of course people can change, otherwise there would be no point educating about racism at all, if everyones mind is already set. Secondly very few of us would want to be judged by our worst teenage actions, or stand up well to such scrutiny, once we are in our mid twenties or beyond.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited June 2021
    @Malmesbury BYO is much better because company issued equipment is usually dogsh*t.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    The: WFH - I still don’t see how people can be FORCED to do it. If you’re in small flat share, or just rent a room or something with shared skitchen etc, and cannot create a proper working environment, where, precisely, are you supposed to work?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

He’s not as bad as Michael Foot

Only Cameron and Blair have made it to be PM from LOTO within the last 42 years. Nations with lower (Outside of dictatorships) turnover in that time period - PAP (Singapore), who else ?
    In France only Chirac and Hollande have led their party from outside the Elysee to the French Presidency since 1981 (Macron does not really count as he was Hollande's Finance Minister). In Germany too only Merkel and Schroder have made it to Chancellor from Opposition since 1982.

So France and Germany have had an equally low turnover of governments in terms of change of party control
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

As time ticks on and they can measure the antibody levels in more and more people over longer and longer since infection, more positive news comes out about retention of immunity.

A month after "at least 9 months", we're at "at least 10 months" with no indication of further waning.

Bodes well.

Given the minimal level of reinfection it must be "at least 14 months".

I'm sure we'll hear if or when significant reinfection starts happening.

Another thing where 'no news is good news' are reports of covid patients in hospital - search for "Covid patients currently in Bolton hospital" or for similar places and you get a very thin return.
    Bolton and Bedford look like good news; other hotspots are mixed.

Last I saw, of the hotspots:
    - Bedford, Bolton, Hillingdon, North Tyneside all looked to be coming down nicely
    - Bury, Hounslow, Leicester, Rossendale (and, in Scotland, Kirklees) looked to be teetering either way. Could come down, could keep going up.
    - Blackburn, Manchester, Nottingham, Salford (and, in Scotland, Edinburgh and Glasgow) looked to be climbing ominously.

Hospital occupancy-wise, I'd be looking at East Lancashire (for Blackburn) and especially the NHS trusts in Manchester for the canaries in the coal mine. If they're okay, we're okay.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179

However, Michael Carberry, who played six Tests for England between 2010 and 2014, told 5 Live that Robinson "wouldn't be playing Test cricket" if it was up to him, adding: "I don't believe this is a problem where you can rehabilitate someone."

I presume he also believes criminals must all be locked up forever....as they also clearly can't be reformed.

That’s an astonishing take. How can he make that judgement. People change and their views change. I doubt Robinson was a racist when he sent the tweets.

I looked at his tweets and, as has been said here, they are juvenile at worst.

Racist tweets covers such a multitude of sins from pretty childish stuff like Ollie Robinson’s tweets to the disgusting abuse suffered by someone like Ian Wright with him being called the N word and worse. It all gets caught up in the same net and all regarded in the same light. There is no spectrum to it. It’s very sad.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Smarkets "All legal limits on social contact to be removed on 21 June" market: Yes has gone out to 5.3.
  • Options
    Re: that survey. No surprise. People are least in favour of restrictions that affect them personally.

Rule of six indoors? Get rid!
    Social distancing in pubs? Definitely retain!

Never mind that the two are basically officially in place for the same reason...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

As someone normally on the side of what the reactionaries call the woke, two things need to be said. Of course people can change, otherwise there would be no point educating about racism at all, if everyones mind is already set. Secondly very few of us would want to be judged by our worst teenage actions, or stand up well to such scrutiny, once we are in our mid twenties or beyond.
    I think it shows Carberry to be as ignorant and preduice as those he is criticising. You once said something (percieved) to be racist, regardless of context or behaviour since, for the rest of your life you must be a labelled a racist and suffer punishment and exclusion.

That is one hell of a distopian take.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Michael Carberry sounds like a total moron. He would probably consider a criminal conviction to be less serious than an offensive tweet.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    isam said:

I think Boris has just beaten Sir Keir by a record margin in IPSOS-MORI’s ‘personality’ index

61-16

Sir Keir’s satisfaction ratings

39-47 so -8

Quite good Gross Positives…

Until you realise that’s with Labour voters only!

-8 with his own party 🙈

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/exclusive-keir-starmer-ratings-plunge-same-level-jeremy-corbyn-b939308.html

Thanks, Isam.
  • Options

Not good news for those employed in diversity training. Obviously a complete waste of time.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

In more PB is not quite reflective of public opinion news...

Certainly most want to end the restrictions on weddings then and enable unrestricted indoor meeting, a clear shift.

The public will wear capacity limits on the biggest events still and masks in public transport and shops still but no more beyond that, especially as most have now had a 2nd jab
    Indeed. Interesting that liberating weddings and abolishing the bloody Rule of Six now shows a majority. It's a clear shift as you say and I'm surprised that some on PB seek to present it as support for endless lockdown. It's almost as if they have their own agenda...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

Bodes well.

Given the minimal level of reinfection it must be "at least 14 months".

I'm sure we'll hear if or when significant reinfection starts happening.

Another thing where 'no news is good news' are reports of covid patients in hospital - search for "Covid patients currently in Bolton hospital" or for similar places and you get a very thin return.
    Bolton and Bedford look like good news; other hotspots are mixed.

Last I saw, of the hotspots:
    - Bedford, Bolton, Hillingdon, North Tyneside all looked to be coming down nicely
    - Bury, Hounslow, Leicester, Rossendale (and, in Scotland, Kirklees) looked to be teetering either way. Could come down, could keep going up.
    - Blackburn, Manchester, Nottingham, Salford (and, in Scotland, Edinburgh and Glasgow) looked to be climbing ominously.

Hospital occupancy-wise, I'd be looking at East Lancashire (for Blackburn) and especially the NHS trusts in Manchester for the canaries in the coal mine. If they're okay, we're okay.
    Kirklees is in Yorkshire - its the Huddersfield-Batley-Dewsbury area.

Fun fact Kirklees Priory (where Robin Hood is supposed to have died) is not in Kirklees borough.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Taz said:

That’s an astonishing take. How can he make that judgement. People change and their views change. I doubt Robinson was a racist when he sent the tweets.

Racist tweets covers such a multitude of sins from pretty childish stuff like Ollie Robinson’s tweets to the disgusting abuse suffered by someone like Ian Wright with him being called the N word and worse. It all gets caught up in the same net and all regarded in the same light. There is no spectrum to it. It’s very sad.
    Its like the MeToo stuff....we have the full range of full on absolutely consistent long term criminal abusive behaviour lumped in with somebody once making a drunken pass or inappropriate comment.

He touched her knee...he touched her knee...cancel him, deperson him....as if it is on the same level as forcing 100s of women for sex to get roles in movies.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Can we have Boris on the record ASAP. As Morris and Alex have pointed out, we are doing better than even the BEST CASE Sage scenario.

Until he says otherwise I'd take anonymous briefings from "a Cabinet Minister" with an entire box of salt.

My guess is that a quote from a "Cabinet Minister" doesn't end up on the front page of The Times by accident and without knowledge from No.10.

They are fucking with us. Fair enough, for many this is no great surprise. But for many others it is seriously damaging to their mental health, financial situation and much else.

If they now open, distress will have been caused by this headline, if they postpone, distress will be caused because they postpone.

No doubt the PB Govt Covid Appreciation Society will cheer on whatever the govt decides and how they decide it.
    I've no doubt that they have discussed whether a short delay is (a) needed and (b) can be sold on the basis of the vaccination programme. George Eustace was talking about a short delay just now on R5. Personally I think they should not but I will not now be surprised if there is a delay. I think the preference may be to do away with the restrictions in one go, rather than the step 3.5 approach, and that may be how it is sold.
    I think a delay is coming. Whether that is a continuation of where we are or further relaxing but the maintenance of, say, masks and wfh.

Either way I am shocked and amazed because all of PB is telling us that they should have opened up fully weeks ago.

I will be interested to see the reaction of many on here if they decide to wait a while.
    Having labelled it freedom day they will have to give us something, but it wont be an end to all legal restrictions as originally proposed.

As a nation we do seem to have lost track of why we temporarily gave up our freedoms in the first place, it was to stop hospitals being overwhelmed, not to stop being ill.

If we dont go get back to normal now, the window to do so before theoretical seasonal risks will be built into models to make re-opening closer to the autumn equally dangerous will be very small indeed.
    If it's not immediate then the pressure will be immense to lift restrictions before schools break up for summer holidays.
    I think there is a realistic possibility that we have amongst the least freedom in Europe this year despite the massive lead in vaccinations. We really are not seeing any economic and social benefit from that advantage.
    Again, this is spot on. All those saying we are leading the way, but are told who we are allowed to have sex with these past few months, in Europe, they had to cope with closing restaurants at 10pm.
    Damn, I didn't get the text about who my allowed sex partner was.
    I was lucky I got Oti Mabuse but I'm not sure she got the reciprocal text.
  • Options
    Taz said:

I’m also reminded of Christopher Hitchens’ comment about televangelists’ virtue-signalling. People furiously denounce in others what they are themselves guilty of.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Sean_F said:

Michael Carberry sounds like a total moron. He would probably consider a criminal conviction to be less serious than an offensive tweet.
    Right, first one to find something "problematic" Carberry has said wins.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    alex_ said:

Re: that survey. No surprise. People are least in favour of restrictions that affect them personally.

Rule of six indoors? Get rid!
    Social distancing in pubs? Definitely retain!

Never mind that the two are basically officially in place for the same reason...

Yes, boring people who never go out and never go to pubs support ongoing restrictions in pubs... I'm shocked I tell you. See also, people who never got to That Abroad supporting a ban on foreign holidays, and people without school-age children supporting endless restrictions and mask mandates in schools.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

In more PB is not quite reflective of public opinion news...

Certainly most want to end the restrictions on weddings then and enable unrestricted indoor meeting, a clear shift.

The public will wear capacity limits on the biggest events still and masks in public transport and shops still but no more beyond that, especially as most have now had a 2nd jab
    Indeed. Interesting that liberating weddings and abolishing the bloody Rule of Six now shows a majority. It's a clear shift as you say and I'm surprised that some on PB seek to present it as support for endless lockdown. It's almost as if they have their own agenda...
    As with my politics, I'm a covid centrist. I neither deny the existence of the virus nor do I think it's the endtimes. This is a third wave, whether it is a ripple or tsunami is yet to be seen, and I don't think it is an extreme view to see how high the water gets. Hospitalisations are the most encouraging metric at the moment but, as I don't tire of saying, they are a lagging indicator. We don't yet know how the accelleration of cases over the last week and a bit will translate into hospitalisations. We will very soon. So patience.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Sean_F said:

I really like Michael Carberry, he seems a nice bloke and has had a tough fine with illness. But what the f is he on about here? Robinson’s tweets weren’t even that bad, I can’t understand the outrage. I hear worse every day
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited June 2021
    Sean_F said:

I am still struggling to see how anyone could actually be offended by Robinson’s tweets.

The whole episode is surreal.
    Who breaks a butterfly on a wheel?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

OT re the possible parole of Colin Pitchfork, who raped and murdered two schoolgirls, and who was the first to be convicted using DNA fingerprinting. On re-watching the drama-doc Code of a Killer last night, I had forgotten Mrs Thatcher played an incidental but pivotal role. The Home Office had not wanted to pay for mass genetic profiling but someone met Denis and the money was found.

Another interesting one is the Parole hearing of Glyn Razell which should take place shortly. He has served 18 years for the murder of his ex-wife Linda even no body has ever been found. There were very strange circumstances which led to his conviction, books have been written about it, and the BBC made a 2 hour TV show. Linda may also have known the serial killer Christopher Halliwell.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444

isam said:
    Absolutely! Matches what OGH wrote a decade ago.

I wonder whether @TheScreamingEagles agrees or disagrees with Ben at Ipsos MORI.
    I should be seeing Ben in a few weeks time, I'll remind him of a publication with his name on this very topic.
  • Options
    Even I think the treatment of that cricketer has been way OTT and I’m apparently a marxist far left woke fascist. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    Sean_F said:

It probably also means he's got something in his closet too.

The most censorious and uncompromising people usually do.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I think, if there is genuine concern among the scientists/ministers about the 21st unlocking then it will be the time to try out a bit of trust in the public.

Ditch all the legal restrictions, as expected. But ask people to be careful for a few weeks (could be the mooted couple of weeks to double-jab all over 50s, for example) particularly if not double vaccinated. Please meet outdoors when you can. Have the windows open when you can't. Perhaps advise (but don't require) masks inside. Ask people to do a rapid test before attending higher risk events (mass gatherings, weddings, nightclubs etc).
    That sounds like far too liberal, grown-up and sensible a policy for the nasty authoritarians who now run the country.
  • Options
    Worthing looks a potential marginal in these changes - new seat based on the town, minus the two strongest Tory wards on the inland edge, with two smaller Tory wards from Adur to make up the numbers. Labour came within one seat of taking control of Worthing DC at the May elections. Any Sussex PB-ers with a better sense of the numbers on the ground?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Even I think the treatment of that cricketer has been way OTT and I’m apparently a marxist far left woke fascist. 🤷‍♂️

Careful with views like that the likes of Carberry might make you an associate member of the racist club and then you must be cancelled.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Not good news for those employed in diversity training. Obviously a complete waste of time.
    I suspect sporting institutions will be next to feel the smack of firm government in its fightback against Woke.

And rightly so.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    alex_ said:

The: WFH - I still don’t see how people can be FORCED to do it. If you’re in small flat share, or just rent a room or something with shared skitchen etc, and cannot create a proper working environment, where, precisely, are you supposed to work?

Well then, you don't have the capabilities to do the job. So sorry.... Look out for articles on the "Home Space Divide"......

People assume that WFH World will be all roses. The shit employers will ensure that it is shit for the people working for them.
  • Options
    What was worse? (even if you take the line that one or the other were misunderstood/misinterpreted).

Robinson’s tweets. Or multiple Boris a Johnson newspaper columns?
  • Options

This is the power these bullies have. Punching well above their weight as I said yesterday. Yet someone on here was saying that woke is the same as PC. It isn't.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited June 2021

And yet this story illustrates precisely the dangers that the 'reactionaries' have been warning you about all along: in the Church of Woke, anyone can be denounced for the slightest of heresies, and there is no forgiveness and no redemption.

Perhaps the reactionaries had a point after all?
  • Options
    The thing about Ollie Robinson is that he isn't being punished but going through the process that employees around the country have to go through.

An allegation has been made and they get suspended until the investigation has been completed.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

I really like Michael Carberry, he seems a nice bloke and has had a tough fine with illness. But what the f is he on about here? Robinson’s tweets weren’t even that bad, I can’t understand the outrage. I hear worse every day
    I am pretty sure this will be another issue where there is a huge disconnect between the ECB and talking heads in the media and the public.

And of course the ECB have just opened a massive can of worms....any sports person ever to mutter anything dodgy, the media will be pressuring the authorities to take similar action.

Would we be shocked if an England footballer once said something percieved to be racist or homophobic? Are they going to ban them from the Euros will be the immediate question from the media.
  • Options

The thing about Ollie Robinson is that he isn't being punished but going through the process that employees around the country have to go through.

An allegation has been made and they get suspended until the investigation has been completed.

That's a very good point but I would counsel against a suspension after any allegation whatsoever.
  • Options

Fpt

<>
    Any recommendations for where to buy a decent suit, @Foxy? I seem to need to upgrade my size a little (I blame lockdown) and I've found it very hard to replace my Austin Reed suits with anything of comparable quality.

--AS

If you’re willing to pay a bit extra, Cordings is a good option, somewhat country/field sports orientated but more standard stuff also. Decent stepping stone between quality high street and bespoke imo.

https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear
    Thank you, that is an excellent tip. I like their classic style a lot. I'll try to drop in to their store when I'm next in London, to have a feel of the fabrics.

--AS
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Sounds good to me.....apart from it will generate a slew of posts on here from advocates of the "Sweden policy" confirming that they were right all along!
    :smile:

They might be 'right', of course if willing happy to trade fewer legal restrictions for more* deaths. I've not really got a problem with anyone who says they would have preferred the Sweden route and acknowledges more people would have died, that's just personal values. It's those who argue that we could have followed Sweden with no downsides that I'd question.

*This on the assumption, which seems to follow from the data (e.g. comparing the initial do nothing models with deaths in Sweden, approx 1/2 predicted unde do nothing, to deaths here, aprox 1/4 to 1/3 and also when compared to the other scandinavian countries that did lock down) that legal lockdowns make people move quicker (making the peak happen sooner than it otherwise would) and then result in a lower level of social mixing (bringing the numbers down quicker after the peak than would happen otherwise - e.g. voluntary restrictions bring R to 0.9; lockdown to 0.7, for example, both will reduce cases/deaths, but the 0.7 does it more quickly).
  • Options
    edited June 2021

And yet this story illustrates precisely the dangers that the 'reactionaries' have been warning you about all along: in the Church of Woke, anyone can be denounced for the slightest of heresies, and there is no forgiveness and no redemption.

Do they have a point, sure. On most of the issues of the last year have they had the better, more balanced point, no. On this one they do.

You win some, you lose some.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It probably also means he's got something in his closet too.

The most censorious and uncompromising people usually do.
    Hence my reference to Christopher Hitchens' quote about televangelists denouncing unnatural sex.

He makes a note in his diary and sets his clock, because sooner or later, the man will be found on his weary old knees in a latrine or motel engaging in the acts he denounced.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

That's a very good point but I would counsel against a suspension after any allegation whatsoever.
    Yeah, I think what really screwed Ollie Robinson was the fact the day the allegations came out the ECB and the players had done a big event about all forms of bigotry.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Meanwhile in the world of the clowncar

"Plan to build UK trade ship will break WTO agreement, warn experts"
    "But while Number 10 has announced its “intention” to build the as yet unnamed ship in the UK, this would breach an agreement that Britain signed up to only eight months ago.

Ministers failed to exclude the construction of civilian ships from the list of contracts that must be opened to global competition when it signed the WTO “government procurement agreement” (GPA) covering 48 countries last October."

"Liz Truss, trade secretary, boasted in October that the GPA would allow British companies to keep bidding for public sector contracts around the world worth £1.3tr a year. Likewise, she said, overseas groups would be able to continue to bid for UK public sector contracts, “delivering better value for UK taxpayers”.

But that could frustrate the government’s attempts to use a “Buy British” approach to building the new yacht. Item 47 of annex 4 of the UK schedule of the GPA explicitly says the procurement of “ships, boats and floating structures, except warships” must be advertised internationally and awarded without discrimination."

https://www.ft.com/content/c77b7aa1-cebc-47c6-a04a-d21eef2d1d38#comments-anchor

They truly are dumb bastards.

She really is PM material, thick as mince and twice as dumb.
  • Options

@Malmesbury BYO is much better because company issued equipment is usually dogsh*t.

In a properly secured IT environment, the phones are remotely wipeable (theft, loss) etc.

You are required to add the company mandate apps (comms etc) to the phone. Which means you have to give control of your personal phone to the company IT department - to allow them to wipe it, when they press a button.

Oh, and the control in question isn't generally segmented - they can do what they like....
  • Options

Most employees are not suspended, unless the accusation relates to dishonesty, or something equally serious.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    I see all the rogue states run by despot regimes are the worst affected.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
  • Options

isam said:

Sean_F said:

I am pretty sure this will be another issue where there is a huge disconnect between the ECB and talking heads in the media and the public.

And of course the ECB have just opened a massive can of worms....any sports person ever to mutter anything dodgy, the media will be pressuring the authorities to take similar action.

Would we be shocked if an England footballer once said something percieved to be racist or homophobic? Are they going to ban them from the Euros will be the immediate question from the media.
    I suspect it won't happen regarding footballers.

I know for a fact the moment a footballer signs for a club (sometimes from age 7) they have to hand over access to their social media accounts to the club for a check, and after that they are continually monitored.

They really don't want another Andre Gray moment.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I suspect the many will have a renewed interest in "The right to be forgotten" laws for online content.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Most employees are not suspended, unless the accusation relates to dishonesty, or something equally serious.
    Our firm and many others have suspension clauses in the employee engages in bigotry or does anyone to damage the reputation of the firm.
  • Options

In a properly secured IT environment, the phones are remotely wipeable (theft, loss) etc.

You are required to add the company mandate apps (comms etc) to the phone. Which means you have to give control of your personal phone to the company IT department - to allow them to wipe it, when they press a button.

Oh, and the control in question isn't generally segmented - they can do what they like....
    Remote wiping isn’t really a concern with cloud backup. My previous firm allowed me to BYO phone and it was great. I don’t think my current one does though unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

isam said:

Sean_F said:

I know for a fact the moment a footballer signs for a club (sometimes from age 7) they have to hand over access to their social media accounts to the club for a check, and after that they are continually monitored.

But what if somebody makes accusations they said this in person....they told a dodgy joke when they were 16 to another youth team player.

Also, most young people also have a secondary "anonymous" account for shit talking these days, somebody leaks that, or whatsapp group...there will definitely be dodgy stuff in those. You only have to listen to Under the Cosh podcast to know players regularly make what sound like sexist comments to one another and message each other dodgy stuff.
  • Options

If it’s a personal phone, it should bloody well be segmented. Every MDM platform gives the option to wipe the Secure Enclave or the whole phone.
  • Options

isam said:

Sean_F said:

But what if somebody makes accusations they said this in person....they told a dodgy joke when they were 16 to another youth team player.
    Don't suspend them unless there's evidence.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    malcolmg said:

I think they are all "3rd Countries" as well. The only surprise is certain Boris fanbois not foreseeing this.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

This is what too much compliance breeds. Overweening arrogance and callousness. Ministers tweet vaccination numbers excitedly, because they are excited. Not just by the protection offered, but by the astonishing levels of compliance. Look at what we can make people do!

I note that everyone is following a quote from a "Cabinet Minister".

Is this the same reliable source that told us that the Chancellor was going to do absolutely nothing in the face of the lockdown - an hour before the Chancellor stood up to announce a tidal wave of money (furlough etc)? Or a different, reliable source?
    Ah, so we can expect Number 10 to junk this story soon. That's a relief!
    Yes, its already been junked as "too early to say" (which was always the official line) and on Monday 14 June when the announcement is actually made there'll be something to say then.
    Indeed. 14th June is when a keen as mustard, agog nation will hear whether 21st June is ON or will be delayed. And a quick reminder as to how the decision will be made. There'll be 2 key questions considered:

Can it go ahead with little or no risk to the NHS? - YES/NO
    Is a delay in the personal political interests of Boris Johnson? - YES/NO

The combination of answers will then drive the outcome as follows:

YES/YES - Delay
    YES/NO - Go ahead
    NO/YES - Delay
    NO/NO - Go ahead

From this we see that it's only the 2nd question we need to answer in order to make a confident prediction.

And can we answer it? Yes, I think we can. The answer is NO. A delay (other than for trivia like a bit of masking here and there) is not in the personal political interests of Boris Johnson. There's a possible benefit to him in that it'd make him look (to some people) prudent and very very circumspect and thoughtful. But this would be outweighed by the downside. Trouble in the party. Messaging problems (since YES is the objective answer to question 1). And most importantly, loss of the long planned Joy & Relief dividend to coincide with the Summer Solstice.

So my call is - ignore the Times, it's on.
    Did you see the YouGov poll below though? This is the sort of shit that he'll take note of. Does the poll hint that the public don't trust the vaccines? Or is this some strange form of self-flagellation?
    Yes. I'd say after such an intense and prolonged public health crisis there's an understandable overhang of anxiety and caution amongst many. This sits opposite on the seesaw to the (also understandable) chomping at the bit of others to just put this in the past now and get back to exactly as we were before it came to torment us. I reckon Johnson will plop his sizeable arse down on the latter side of the saw. Or certainly nearer to that than the other side. Might continue for a while with a WFH recommendation and masks in crowded indoor spaces. I'd be really surprised if it's more than that. And then there's the old 'law vs guidance' question. They have some scope to finesse things. Not sure how $markets are planning to settle their market. Guess you do since I believe you've had a dabble.
  • Options
    I've mentioned on here we withdrew a contract offer from someone when we looked at their social media.

Saying things about (Jewish) bankers being evil and that sort of stuff isn't wise when you want to work in the banking & financial services sector.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Eagles, aren't your trousers considered harmful to epileptics?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Don't suspend them unless there's evidence.
    There will be loads of evidence in their WhatsApp groups. As I say, listen to Under the Cosh podcast with recently retired players and the stories they are willing to tell on camera don't exactly make football dressing rooms sound like a model of a woke workplace. Casual racism no*, but multitude of other sins againat the PC norms.

* Actually that isn't even true, a number of guests have made jokes about the size of black players genitals.

The slippery slope has now reached looking at 15 year olds single tweet, everything is one the table.
  • Options

No.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

And yet this story illustrates precisely the dangers that the 'reactionaries' have been warning you about all along: in the Church of Woke, anyone can be denounced for the smallest of heresies, and there is no forgiveness and no redemption.

I was certainly irresponsible at university. I got drunk and fell in a gutter, nicked a traffic cone, threw up in a taxi, told off-colour jokes, was a bit cheeky to a couple of lecturers, used the word "gay" to mean crap/pants/sad - as was normal at the time amongst all my friends of whatever persuasion - and was a bit of a letch on the dancefloor, and even got slapped once. However, most of the time I was fine, I had lots of fun, learnt a lot, made great friends, and had some gorgeous and intelligent girlfriends.

It's called growing up. But, if any of that had been tweeted at the time, I'd probably be finished.

I don't blame young people for being so uptight and snowflakey when they have all that to deal with. I would be.
    Or. Not be on twitter/snapchat/insta.

But I realise it's a big ask for the youngsters.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

I've mentioned on here we withdrew a contract offer from someone when we looked at their social media.

Saying things about (Jewish) bankers being evil and that sort of stuff isn't wise when you want to work in the banking & financial services sector.

And that's fair enough. Ultimately it's up to businesses who they employ.

The ECB might like to think they're entitled to the same courtesy, but they have to accept that they will get scrutinized in a way that your company won't.
  • Options
    This is a bit sinister. Gov UK, Guardian, FT, Spectator, BBC, CNN and NYT websites have all simultaneously gone down. As have a few others like the ZOE app site which alerted me to the problem.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The ECB might like to think they're entitled to the same courtesy, but they have to accept that they will get scrutinized in a way that your company won't.
    I've already had some fun on interviews, in banks, with graduate applicants.

"So, I see you think that all Banksters should be hung..... Will that include yourself?"
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    The Government's website (http://gov.uk), FT, Guardian and CNN websites all appear to be down at the same time. V odd.
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1402206025680404480
  • Options

Fpt

<>
    Any recommendations for where to buy a decent suit, @Foxy? I seem to need to upgrade my size a little (I blame lockdown) and I've found it very hard to replace my Austin Reed suits with anything of comparable quality.

--AS

If you’re willing to pay a bit extra, Cordings is a good option, somewhat country/field sports orientated but more standard stuff also. Decent stepping stone between quality high street and bespoke imo.

https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear
    Thank you, that is an excellent tip. I like their classic style a lot. I'll try to drop in to their store when I'm next in London, to have a feel of the fabrics.

--AS
    Was just going to say - not sure what your budget is but some of the high street tailors - Cad & The Dandy, or Dress2Kill can be good value as they do get the fit right.
  • Options

No.
    Constable Savage would probably hold them to be grounds for arrest, from what you've told us.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

malcolmg said:

I think they are all "3rd Countries" as well. The only surprise is certain Boris fanbois not foreseeing this.
    Don’t worry dear, it’s only Teesside and South Wales.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Have to admit we did get in to a right pickle over another hire, their posts was littered with words like 'Yids' and 'really enjoying giving the rent boys a f*cking' and 'Abrahmovich is a Yid' which looked like a contract withdrawal until we looked at his profile picture.

Audere est Facere.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

If it’s a personal phone, it should bloody well be segmented. Every MDM platform gives the option to wipe the Secure Enclave or the whole phone.
    But then someone has to actually prove that to IT security - demanding "nuke the phone" is so much simpler for them.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The Government's website (http://gov.uk), FT, Guardian and CNN websites all appear to be down at the same time. V odd.

Work fine for me.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

Have to admit we did get in to a right pickle over another hire, their posts was littered with words like 'Yids' and 'really enjoying giving the rent boys a f*cking' and 'Abrahmovich is a Yid' which looked like a contract withdrawal until we looked at his profile picture.

Audere est Facere.
    You gave them a job? Hmmm

Either a word is acceptable or it isn't, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Amazon down for me.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

This is what too much compliance breeds. Overweening arrogance and callousness. Ministers tweet vaccination numbers excitedly, because they are excited. Not just by the protection offered, but by the astonishing levels of compliance. Look at what we can make people do!

Is this the same reliable source that told us that the Chancellor was going to do absolutely nothing in the face of the lockdown - an hour before the Chancellor stood up to announce a tidal wave of money (furlough etc)? Or a different, reliable source?
    Yes, its already been junked as "too early to say" (which was always the official line) and on Monday 14 June when the announcement is actually made there'll be something to say then.
    Indeed. 14th June is when a keen as mustard, agog nation will hear whether 21st June is ON or will be delayed. And a quick reminder as to how the decision will be made. There'll be 2 key questions considered:

YES/YES - Delay
    YES/NO - Go ahead
    NO/YES - Delay
    NO/NO - Go ahead

From this we see that it's only the 2nd question we need to answer in order to make a confident prediction.

And can we answer it? Yes, I think we can. The answer is NO. A delay (other than for trivia like a bit of masking here and there) is not in the personal political interests of Boris Johnson. There's a possible benefit to him in that it'd make him look (to some people) prudent and very very circumspect and thoughtful. But this would be outweighed by the downside. Trouble in the party. Messaging problems (since YES is the objective answer to question 1). And most importantly, loss of the long planned Joy & Relief dividend to coincide with the Summer Solstice.

Did you see the YouGov poll below though? This is the sort of shit that he'll take note of. Does the poll hint that the public don't trust the vaccines? Or is this some strange form of self-flagellation?
    Yes. I'd say after such an intense and prolonged public health crisis there's an understandable overhang of anxiety and caution amongst many. This sits opposite on the seesaw to the (also understandable) chomping at the bit of others to just put this in the past now and get back to exactly as we were before it came to torment us. I reckon Johnson will plop his sizeable arse down on the latter side of the saw. Or certainly nearer to that than the other side. Might continue for a while with a WFH recommendation and masks in crowded indoor spaces. I'd be really surprised if it's more than that. And then there's the old 'law vs guidance' question. They have some scope to finesse things. Not sure how $markets are planning to settle their market. Guess you do since I believe you've had a dabble.
    I've had a dabble and a couple of top-ups.

Smarkets rules;

"This market relates to whether all legal limits on social contact in England (in the context of coronavirus restrictions) will be removed on 21 June 2021, in line with step four of the UK government's coronavirus roadmap (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary).

If the UK government announces before 21 June 2021 that step four of the coronavirus roadmap will be delayed and not be implemented on 21 June 2021, this market will settle for no.

If step four of the coronavirus roadmap is implemented in full on 21 June 2021 as planned, this market will settle for yes."
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Work fine for me.
    Had some friends in IT say that they had issues with alot of sites in past few minutes. AWS having a moment, again?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

And yet this story illustrates precisely the dangers that the 'reactionaries' have been warning you about all along: in the Church of Woke, anyone can be denounced for the smallest of heresies, and there is no forgiveness and no redemption.

I was certainly irresponsible at university. I got drunk and fell in a gutter, nicked a traffic cone, threw up in a taxi, told off-colour jokes, was a bit cheeky to a couple of lecturers, used the word "gay" to mean crap/pants/sad - as was normal at the time amongst all my friends of whatever persuasion - and was a bit of a letch on the dancefloor, and even got slapped once. However, most of the time I was fine, I had lots of fun, learnt a lot, made great friends, and had some gorgeous and intelligent girlfriends.

It's called growing up. But, if any of that had been tweeted at the time, I'd probably be finished.

I don't blame young people for being so uptight and snowflakey when they have all that to deal with. I would be.
    Or. Not be on twitter/snapchat/insta.

But I realise it's a big ask for the youngsters.
    Yes, those are tools that facilitate normal social interactions these days, I'm afraid. They need to be private and temporary/non-discoverable.

As humans we must be able to give free blast to our feelings without fear of censure at times, because it's not really possible to live under absolute discipline all the time at all ages.
  • Options

Amazon down for me.

Apparently Fastly, a "CDN provider" has a problem so so all the sites that use it are down.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Sean_F said:

Our firm and many others have suspension clauses in the employee engages in bigotry or does anyone to damage the reputation of the firm.
    I'm fairly sure an Employment Tribunal would take a dim view of someone being suspended for doing something as trivial as the allegations against Ollie Robinson.

There is quite a lot of employment case law in which employers have lost unfair dismissal cases where they have tried to discipline people for things said and done outside the workplace (particularly things that were said and done ages ago).

A surprising number of employers believe the law entitles them to hire and fire people pretty much at will. Well you can - so long as you're willing to pay damages.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Scott_xP said:

Work fine for me.
    Had some friends in IT say that they had issues with alot of sites in past few minutes. AWS having a moment, again?
    It probably be a AWS / CDN node. Probably some ponytailed mole in the datacentre has applied a new patch and it has caused mayhem.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Amazon down for me.

Apparently Fastly, a "CDN provider" has a problem so so all the sites that use it are down.
    That’s what the aliens / Chinese / Trump want you to think.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Audere est Facere.
    You gave them a job? Hmmm

Either a word is acceptable or it isn't, in my opinion.
    We did. It was viewed in the same way as black people using the N word.

Fortunately for him we have a Jewish background and plenty of Spurs fans.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    I don’t know if it is related, probably not, but my Spotify won’t stream to my google speaker.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

YES/YES - Delay
    YES/NO - Go ahead
    NO/YES - Delay
    NO/NO - Go ahead

Smarkets rules;

"This market relates to whether all legal limits on social contact in England (in the context of coronavirus restrictions) will be removed on 21 June 2021, in line with step four of the UK government's coronavirus roadmap (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary).

If the UK government announces before 21 June 2021 that step four of the coronavirus roadmap will be delayed and not be implemented on 21 June 2021, this market will settle for no.

If step four of the coronavirus roadmap is implemented in full on 21 June 2021 as planned, this market will settle for yes."
    What happens if the government announces it is going ahead with step four on 21 June but redefines step four and keeps some of the legal limits on social contact?

Knowing this government I think that is more likely than a clear unequivocal delay.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Amazon down for me.

Ah - so CDN fall back isn't a thing for a whole list of companies. Ha ha....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I'm fairly sure an Employment Tribunal would take a dim view of someone being suspended for doing something as trivial as the allegations against Ollie Robinson.

There is quite a lot of employment case law in which employers have lost unfair dismissal cases where they have tried to discipline people for things said and done outside the workplace (particularly things that were said and done ages ago).
    Is there?
  • Options

No.
    Constable Savage would probably hold them to be grounds for arrest, from what you've told us.
    My latest suit.

Classy and not epilepsy inducing at all.

https://www.huntsmansavilerow.com/product/navy-fresco-1b-sb-suit/
  • Options

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

YES/YES - Delay
    YES/NO - Go ahead
    NO/YES - Delay
    NO/NO - Go ahead

Smarkets rules;

What happens if the government announces it is going ahead with step four on 21 June but redefines step four and keeps some of the legal limits on social contact?

Knowing this government I think that is more likely than a clear unequivocal delay.
    Not sure to be honest. Void I guess.
  • Options
    It might be willy-waving by Russia or China in advance of the G7.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27432408
  • Options
    Yup, half the internet is down!

‘Varnish cache’ errors mostly, going to be one of the big CDNs with an outage.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

A surprising number of employers believe the law entitles them to hire and fire people pretty much at will. Well you can - so long as you're willing to pay damages.
    Nah, he signed a contract in which he should have declared anything embarrassing from his past that would reflect badly on the ECB.

He failed to do so.
This discussion has been closed.