Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Ipsos-MORI Economic Optimism index jumps to its highest level for six years – politicalbetting.c

1235»

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm not in favour of punishing Ollie Robinson for historic stuff.
    Nor am I in favour of trawling through players' posts from when they were teenagers to find something offensive.

But at the same time, there seems to be a view from people that saying or writing homophobic, racist or sexist things is a 'normal' part of being a teenager. It certainly wasn't in the circles I've moved in, and I'd be horrified if my children tweeted, or thought, such stuff when they were teenagers.

Your immaculate purity of thought and word is truly commendable. Well done you.
    Um I would suggest that Northern_Al's position is the one of most, if not all, reasonable parents. Of course teenagers will do daft stuff but you like to think there are somethings that are simply beyond the pale. Homophobia and racism should be viewed in that light. Any kid who has reached middle teens should know how out of order it is.
    As a parent, I am depressed by the extreme niceness of my teenage daughters. They are kind and lovely and Woke, but where is the teenage rebellion?

Wokeness is the religion of our day, the ideology of their liberal parents, why aren't they kicking against it?

This sounds like sarcasm, it is not. We need young people to innovate, to think outside the envelope, to reject conformity, instead we have bred a generation of sober sheep. And the boys are even WORSE
    Enforced rebellion is as bad as enforced conformity. Why shouldn't your kids adopt values that they respect, and quite likely rebel against something else? There's a reason why Corbyn attracted such crowds of young people, mistaken though you might think them - he offered a vision of a society very different from our own, and kids were attracted to that. Isn't that better than rebelling against ideas of tolerance and, yes, niceness?
    There is no enforced rebellion, I see no rebellion at all. And that is my point

At most there is a retreat to a degraded gangsta culture, the hideous music and the laughable styles. It is minor, and pathetic. Not least because it is so predictable

The rest just agree eagerly with their liberal Woke parents. Tragic

I understand I am just one in a long line of parents bewailing the youth of today. but I believe it is unusual to bewail the fact that the youth of today are just like their parents, and have no radical culture of their own. Perhaps it is an economic thing
    Woke is rebellion.

Trans-rights is rebellion.

The fact that you find it incomprehensible is clear evidence that it is - in fact - rebellion.
    Most of the elites in western countries are in favour of those things. Who are they rebelling against? The white working-class in small towns?
    Hang on. Is "the elite" in the UK, Conservative majority of 83, in favour?
    Cos I can't say I've noticed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

kle4 said:

I'm not sure if polling numbers would crater if 21 June is pushed back, or seem as a damp squib. The public have proven remarkably on board with long and hard measures, as indeed most of us have been to one degree or another.

But it has been a very cautious reopening given the vaccines and the length of the lockdown. And whatever the caveated words, and plenty being wary about the date, it just feels like we've been heading for a release day and a big party, and so perhaps this is the time when people will actually say 'no'.

But the general fear, which seems way higher than it should right now, will work against that.

Where is this “general fear”? I was on holiday over Whit half term on the South Coast and fearfulness there was none. Everyone was living it up and pushing the rules to the maximum. It was busy and fun.
    The general fear is not displayed in peoples' actions, but in how many are still uncertain we will open up anytime soon, that the data will turn and there will be lengthy delays.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,997

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Called it...

I do not support this. 👎

Though if its just for a fortnight, strictly to get vaccines to a set level in that time, then it should be possible to lock in that date. Dates not data from that point on, because the data of vaccinations will be locked, so must the date.
    Indeed, or else there will be more excuses.
    But it's already starting. Two extra weeks becomes 2-4 extra weeks. Then it's, well not everyone has had both doses. Then it's let's go school kids. Then it's "24 hours to save the NHS with booster shots" then it's "NHS winter crisis".

These lockdown wankers want everyone locked up for good. They want to conquer death itself. Honestly, I'm actually becoming really depressed by all of this. That "two weeks" will never, ever be just two weeks. Before we know it 2022 will have rolled around and we'll still be talking about the next NHS crisis.
    Indeed.

Ironically, your best hope is prime minister Boris "pile the bodies high" Johnson. He hates lockdown, he knows it fucks the economy

Every other party leader - Cole, Poots, Sturgeon, Starmer, Drake, Poots, Lucas, whoever-leads-the-Lib-Dems - would be charging towards Endless Lockdown
    Although not Sadiq Khan, curiously. He’s backing 21 June as unlock day.
    Because he knows a lot of central London businesses can't last much longer with the lockdown in place.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    darkage said:

(FPT)

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

How’s about we go back to what Dr. King taught us, and treat people according to the content of their character rather than the colour of their skin?

Because this country by an large isnt all that racist anymore, yes we are still rooting out pockets of it but the truth is all those racism campaigners were virtually out of a job so they have latched on to a new money spinner with glee. They are just larcenous arseholes that would rather try and spin a fairy tale than get a proper job
    I can't believe that this country is not racist. The windrush deportations were, to my mind, evidence of outrageous institutional racism - a whole bureaucracy was set up with the apparent unspoken goal of deporting poor black people.

I really hoped that the Black Lives Matter protests would start focussing on things like this rather than problems with police shootings which really do not apply in this country. These injustices still go on; children basically lose their fathers to destitution in foreign countries after they have completed their prison sentences. They are effectively banished under blair era legislation that gives vast powers to the state which are simply exercised in an inhumane way.

Ask yourself - why should people with afro carribbean heritage suffer this fate whereas ethnic white people do not? How is that fair?

There are people, disproportionately black people, that actually suffer banishment and get their lives ruined. No one supports them because they are drug dealers or have committed terrible crimes, but they still have families, and lives are actually ruined in tangible ways (ie they become destitute in third world countries with no local networks to support them), rather than suffering PTSD from microagressions or misspoken language or whatever.

You will find many people posting on here who are oestensibly on my side of the argument (I am definetely not woke) who claim not to be racist but then celebrate the deportation of dual national criminals. I just think this, as much as wokeness, marks the decline of our civilisation.
    It is not dual national criminals though as far as I know we dont deport british citizens. The problem with windrush was for whatever reason they had not been made or tried to be made british citizens so when beaurecrats dumped their documentation and people did a search for non documented they got swept up, I do not support that. However criminals that goto jail then get deported arent second generation they have come into this nation and committed crimes. I am sorry you feel tears because they have a wife/daughter/son. and the wife daughter or son are welcome to stay I dont however see a reason why this country should say to the murderer/rapist/thief fuck off back where you came from you are making this country a worse place
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,141
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

alex_ said:

I suppose there's an outside chance that this is a planted story to distract from the foreign aid stuff...

The foreign aid stuff is good for the Govt.

Its another Brexit. Foreign aid is tremendously unpopular with voters. It is almost uniformly hated by Tory voters.

Govt. staring down the Wets is a good news story for Boris.

Govt. being frit and not caring about our liberties is terrrrrrrible.
    Polling shows lockdown measures are popular...
    Lots of people support restrictions on others.

Lots of people support freebies for themselves - in this case the freebies are furlough and working from home.
    Yes, that is very much the problem with the Populist agenda of this government. I am glad that you are wising up.
    The 'populism' came in in 1998 along with the trade deficit.

Since then its been only about who gets which place in the tough.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2021
    What's the betting editors of the sports sections of newspapers and magazines currently have minions going through every well known player in their sport social media accounts......

Would we be shocked if we found for instance an England footballer who has posted something iffy in the past? Are they going to kick them out of the Euros? Or do we think with football the clubs (more than the FA) have them scrub them as soon as they become a known player?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

How’s about we go back to what Dr. King taught us, and treat people according to the content of their character rather than the colour of their skin?

Because this country by an large isnt all that racist anymore, yes we are still rooting out pockets of it but the truth is all those racism campaigners were virtually out of a job so they have latched on to a new money spinner with glee. They are just larcenous arseholes that would rather try and spin a fairy tale than get a proper job
    I can't believe that this country is not racist. The windrush deportations were, to my mind, evidence of outrageous institutional racism - a whole bureaucracy was set up with the apparent unspoken goal of deporting poor black people.

I really hoped that the Black Lives Matter protests would start focussing on things like this rather than problems with police shootings which really do not apply in this country. These injustices still go on; children basically lose their fathers to destitution in foreign countries after they have completed their prison sentences. They are effectively banished under blair era legislation that gives vast powers to the state which are simply exercised in an inhumane way.

Ask yourself - why should people with afro carribbean heritage suffer this fate whereas ethnic white people do not? How is that fair?

There are people, disproportionately black people, that actually suffer banishment and get their lives ruined. No one supports them because they are drug dealers or have committed terrible crimes, but they still have families, and lives are actually ruined in tangible ways (ie they become destitute in third world countries with no local networks to support them), rather than suffering PTSD from microagressions or misspoken language or whatever.

You will find many people posting on here who are oestensibly on my side of the argument (I am definetely not woke) who claim not to be racist but then celebrate the deportation of foreign criminals. I just think this, as much as wokeness, marks the decline of our civilisation.

According to the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford, in 2019 68% of all those deported for criminal offenses were EU citizens. Trying to make out this is a racist policy is simply wrong and does you no credit at all.
    That doesn't mean much without knowing the relative proportions of subpopulations and sub-sub-populations (age and gender are strong correlates/determinants of criminal activity) and, indeed, race (it's possible to be a non-white EU citizen, after all).
    It means a great deal in the context of darkage's ridiculous claim "why should people with afro carribbean heritage suffer this fate whereas ethnic white people do not?"

For the record, apart from those 68% who are EU citizens, a further 21% are of SE Asian origin. Afro-Caribbeans made up a tiny percentage. And of course his whole argument is dumb anyway. Practically every country in the world has a policy of deporting foreign criminals. Even that paragon of virtue Norway deports almost 1000 foreign criminals a year. Claiming it is an intrinsically racist policy is a genuinely stupid idea.
    One of my adopted daughters is afro caribbean in heritage strangely she has never been under threat of deportation but then she doesnt go out commiting crimes
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

sarissa said:

I fully expect Covid Passports to be revived.

Apple announced now have updated wallet for such things....
    What’s wrong with the official vaccination record I can now access online whenever I want?
    It was a bit of a snide comment from me. They have announced that wallet will allow you to scan in official IDs and records, which for example then for TSA in the US you tap your phone and it only shares a limited subset of the info.

Its obvious that such a system "could" include vaccination status.
    New York State’s “Excelsior Pass” already uses the Apple wallet (and Android equiv I guess) or you can download an NYS wallet app for it if you prefer. It connects to the state Dept of Health records and gives you an short-term “ok” if you’ve got a recent -ve test or a long-term once you’re fully vaxxed.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

alex_ said:

I suppose there's an outside chance that this is a planted story to distract from the foreign aid stuff...

Its another Brexit. Foreign aid is tremendously unpopular with voters. It is almost uniformly hated by Tory voters.

And yet the polling suggests otherwise. For all the outrage on here.
    The polling is hypothetical isn’t it? How much support is there for delaying 21 June? Will people still support it when it leads to the cancellation of thousands of weddings? Nieces and granddaughters in tears…

If the government wants to fudge it, it could simply extend the WFH mandate.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    For all the talk of Bitcoins being safely outside of the authorities of the state - the FBI "recovering" 63.7 Bitcoin, worth $2.3 million, is hilarious.

If the Bitcoin Ponzi scheme can't even help criminals evade the authorities then just what has it got left going for it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nor am I in favour of trawling through players' posts from when they were teenagers to find something offensive.

But at the same time, there seems to be a view from people that saying or writing homophobic, racist or sexist things is a 'normal' part of being a teenager. It certainly wasn't in the circles I've moved in, and I'd be horrified if my children tweeted, or thought, such stuff when they were teenagers.

Um I would suggest that Northern_Al's position is the one of most, if not all, reasonable parents. Of course teenagers will do daft stuff but you like to think there are somethings that are simply beyond the pale. Homophobia and racism should be viewed in that light. Any kid who has reached middle teens should know how out of order it is.
    As a parent, I am depressed by the extreme niceness of my teenage daughters. They are kind and lovely and Woke, but where is the teenage rebellion?

Wokeness is the religion of our day, the ideology of their liberal parents, why aren't they kicking against it?

This sounds like sarcasm, it is not. We need young people to innovate, to think outside the envelope, to reject conformity, instead we have bred a generation of sober sheep. And the boys are even WORSE
    Enforced rebellion is as bad as enforced conformity. Why shouldn't your kids adopt values that they respect, and quite likely rebel against something else? There's a reason why Corbyn attracted such crowds of young people, mistaken though you might think them - he offered a vision of a society very different from our own, and kids were attracted to that. Isn't that better than rebelling against ideas of tolerance and, yes, niceness?

At most there is a retreat to a degraded gangsta culture, the hideous music and the laughable styles. It is minor, and pathetic. Not least because it is so predictable

I understand I am just one in a long line of parents bewailing the youth of today. but I believe it is unusual to bewail the fact that the youth of today are just like their parents, and have no radical culture of their own. Perhaps it is an economic thing
    Woke is rebellion.

The fact that you find it incomprehensible is clear evidence that it is - in fact - rebellion.
    Most of the elites in western countries are in favour of those things. Who are they rebelling against? The white working-class in small towns?
    People don't rebel against "elites", they rebel against their parents.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

The Times are saying the 21st of June easing is going to be delayed by a fortnight.

Indeed. I couldn't see any other outcome from the latest data.
    Doug - your analysis is correct

Stage 4 will be delayed by at least 2 weeks. Possibly up to beginning August to align with school holidays. And then it will only be 'Stage 3.5' as posted here previously. Masks still everywhere under Stage 3.5.
    How do you know it’s correct? FFS. Do you have a hotline to Boris?
    Wait and see...
    You’ve expressed this confidence before and been wrong. Hopefully you are wrong again.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Woke is rebellion.

People don't rebel against "elites", they rebel against their parents.
    Its about time we had a counter revolution we should rebel against our children and demand they stop listening to autotune music
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited June 2021

dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

alex_ said:

The polling is hypothetical isn’t it? How much support is there for delaying 21 June? Will people still support it when it leads to the cancellation of thousands of weddings? Nieces and granddaughters in tears…

Many people will just ignore it now or bend the rules to the nth degree on 21st June, we are having a Thanksgiving Service and Reception on 3rd July and will go ahead regardless even if it means having 30 in different sections of a field.

Over 50% of adults have now had their second jabs and are for the most part therefore protected even from the Indian variant, if some refuse to have their jabs tough, otherwise we will never end restrictions
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

You will find many people posting on here who are oestensibly on my side of the argument (I am definetely not woke) who claim not to be racist but then celebrate the deportation of foreign criminals. I just think this, as much as wokeness, marks the decline of our civilisation.

According to the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford, in 2019 68% of all those deported for criminal offenses were EU citizens. Trying to make out this is a racist policy is simply wrong and does you no credit at all.
    That doesn't mean much without knowing the relative proportions of subpopulations and sub-sub-populations (age and gender are strong correlates/determinants of criminal activity) and, indeed, race (it's possible to be a non-white EU citizen, after all).
    It means a great deal in the context of darkage's ridiculous claim "why should people with afro carribbean heritage suffer this fate whereas ethnic white people do not?"

For the record, apart from those 68% who are EU citizens, a further 21% are of SE Asian origin. Afro-Caribbeans made up a tiny percentage. And of course his whole argument is dumb anyway. Practically every country in the world has a policy of deporting foreign criminals. Even that paragon of virtue Norway deports almost 1000 foreign criminals a year. Claiming it is an intrinsically racist policy is a genuinely stupid idea.
    One of my adopted daughters is afro caribbean in heritage strangely she has never been under threat of deportation but then she doesnt go out commiting crimes
    Surely you mean, "she hasn't got caught committing any crimes".

As I understand, parents (even adopted ones) are always the last to know.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

I'm not sure if polling numbers would crater if 21 June is pushed back, or seem as a damp squib. The public have proven remarkably on board with long and hard measures, as indeed most of us have been to one degree or another.

But it has been a very cautious reopening given the vaccines and the length of the lockdown. And whatever the caveated words, and plenty being wary about the date, it just feels like we've been heading for a release day and a big party, and so perhaps this is the time when people will actually say 'no'.

But the general fear, which seems way higher than it should right now, will work against that.

Where is this “general fear”? I was on holiday over Whit half term on the South Coast and fearfulness there was none. Everyone was living it up and pushing the rules to the maximum. It was busy and fun.
    They weren't there. Evidently.
    Indeed, it was a large sample size though. Is there a homeland for this generalised fear? I have witnessed it literally nowhere.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Surely you mean, "she hasn't got caught committing any crimes".

As I understand, parents (even adopted ones) are always the last to know.
    Well while thats true I suspect she hasnt commited any as she is to busy giving me grandchildren whether I want them or not
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Detailed plans for a £250m Premier Golf League aimed at revolutionising the professional game are to be revealed later this week.

BBC Sport has learned that the Formula 1 style global competition is scheduled to begin in January 2023 and would include 18 tournaments targeting the top 48 male players in the world.

A dozen of those events would be staged in the United States with the others "chasing the sun" around the world. Each competition would be worth $20m (£14m) with $4m going to the winner and last place picking up $150,000.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/57382968

Where is all this money coming from?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

alex_ said:

Many people will just ignore it now or bend the rules to the nth degree on 21st June, we are having a Thanksgiving Service and Reception on 3rd July and will go ahead regardless even if it means having 30 in different sections of a field.

Over 50% of adults have now had their second jabs and are for the most part therefore protected even from the Indian variant, if some refuse to have their jabs tough, otherwise we will never end restrictions
    Good for you sir and hope the ceremony goes well. Congratulations on your nuptials too!
  • Options

For all the talk of Bitcoins being safely outside of the authorities of the state - the FBI "recovering" 63.7 Bitcoin, worth $2.3 million, is hilarious.

If the Bitcoin Ponzi scheme can't even help criminals evade the authorities then just what has it got left going for it?

If someone finds out the private key for your Bitcoin wallet, then you will lose *all* your Bitcoins.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

alex_ said:

All polling is hypothetical.
    Nothing has broken the iron Tory grip on the polls. Six figure dead didn't. Doubt a few weddings will.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If someone finds out the private key for your Bitcoin wallet, then you will lose *all* your Bitcoins.
    Or a good global emp pulse but then we will all lose our money and only the ones holding gold will be laughing
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,552
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Windrush was not about deporting criminals. Is your daughter safe from Home Office ineptitude, political opportunism or an officially hostile environment?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

They weren't there. Evidently.
    Indeed, it was a large sample size though. Is there a homeland for this generalised fear? I have witnessed it literally nowhere.
    Cos they are at home.
    Not trying to be flippant or confrontational. But that is literally what introverts do. And then folk claim well you never said anything...
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Windrush was not about deporting criminals. Is your daughter safe from Home Office ineptitude, political opportunism or an officially hostile environment?
    Windrush was about deporting undocumented peole. My daughter is documented. The reason those people were undocumented is the civil service threw away their boarding cards which was an edict from jack straw.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 950
    Ratters said:

It seems to me that the government will probably come up with some halfway house - remove legal restrictions but keep in place some form of social distancing and mask guidance. Subject to review in five week's time, by which point the vaccination programme will be essentially complete.

I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

Which would make sense apart from the minor detail that it's mostly the combination of masks and distancing that's trashing sectiors of the economy, as it makes a lot of discretionary activities too miserable to be worth doing, even if they're open.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well precisely - a rather critical flaw with the system and expecting agents of the state and hostile actors like hackers to be incapable of finding out your private key is "brave".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Surely the EU threatens emulsified high fat offal tube war?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Windrush was about deporting undocumented peole. My daughter is documented. The reason those people were undocumented is the civil service threw away their boarding cards which was an edict from jack straw.
    It is curious how every single problem during 11 years of Tory rule can be traced back to the Labour government.
    It's almost as if the Tories have no agency of their own. And are compelled to dance to a pre-destined tune played by an evil piper from magical pre-history.
    Karma is mysterious.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

It is curious how every single problem during 11 years of Tory rule can be traced back to the Labour government.
    It's almost as if the Tories have no agency of their own. And are compelled to dance to a pre-destined tune played by an evil piper from magical pre-history.
    Karma is mysterious.
    Alternatively, Labour are just shit at governing. Which is why we don't let them do it any more.
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    Boundary review is out
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

Boundary review is out

Out of bounds, would you say?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.
    I am not a tory supporter by any means however I do believe in truth and the destruction of those documents was intiaited by mr Straw. If they had still been extant the windrush thing would not have been an issue....which part are you disagreeing with?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.
    Alternatively, Labour are just shit at governing. Which is why we don't let them do it any more.
    As was the accepted reverse opinion some 15-25 years ago.
    And will be again.
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

Boundary review is out

So is it a four or a six?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Or a good global emp pulse but then we will all lose our money and only the ones holding gold will be laughing
    When Yugoslavia collapsed into civil war, it turned out gold was rubbish. It wasn't easily divisible. People couldn't measure it well. Basically, the exchange rate between gold and your next meal was horrible.

You know what was great?

Bottles of wine and spirits.

You could always exchange a bottle of wine of vodka for food or for a dental appointment or for medicine.

If you want to protect yourself against total societal collapse, bottles of alcohol are where it's at.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

When Yugoslavia collapsed into civil war, it turned out gold was rubbish. It wasn't easily divisible. People couldn't measure it well. Basically, the exchange rate between gold and your next meal was horrible.

You know what was great?

Bottles of wine and spirits.

You could always exchange a bottle of wine of vodka for food or for a dental appointment or for medicine.

If you want to protect yourself against total societal collapse, bottles of alcohol are where it's at.
    Ah at last an excuse to stock up with out appearing an alcoholic I would kiss you but you have that beard thing
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

alex_ said:

All polling is hypothetical.
    Nothing has broken the iron Tory grip on the polls. Six figure dead didn't. Doubt a few weddings will.
    "If you were contacted by a polling company today, and they were to ask you which way you would vote if there was a General Election, what would you say?"
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.
    As was the accepted reverse opinion some 15-25 years ago.
    And will be again.
    even the electorate are allowed the occaisonal mistake
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,542
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Woke is rebellion.

I don’t find it incomprehensible. I find it pitiful

They don’t frighten me, they bore me. I can’t believe this is the desired effect
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

Boundary review is out

Time to head over to the VoteUK forum to see what the anoraks make of it. (They're proud to be called that name by the way. Most of them, anyway).
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.
    I am not a tory supporter by any means however I do believe in truth and the destruction of those documents was intiaited by mr Straw. If they had still been extant the windrush thing would not have been an issue....which part are you disagreeing with?
    The being total bastards in absence of documentation bit. And in the refusal to accept employment and tax paying evidence. That bit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Woke is rebellion.

I don’t find it incomprehensible. I find it pitiful

Proof positive that it is rebellion.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.
    The being total bastards in absence of documentation bit. And in the refusal to accept employment and tax paying evidence. That bit.
    Someone undocumented is someone undocumented, you think the lowly civil servants processing warrants should have been making assessments? Please enlighten us how you tell. Also please enlighten us why you think people who came in the 50's might not have applied for residence or citizenship yet? . Where does anything become the individuals responsiblibility for left wing fuck nuts like you
  • Options
    just be thankful pension age was already raised all you lefties else most men would have got to 60 and gone oh I just realised I am a woman trapped in a mans body pension please
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Proposed seats in London with new names:

Bermondsey & Borough
    Bethnal Green & Stepney
    Bromley
    Camden Town & St John’s Wood
    City of London & Islington South
    Clapham & Brixton
    Croydon East
    Deptford
    Dulwich & Sydenham
    Eltham & Chislehurst
    Finchley & Muswell Hill
    Fulham & Chelsea West
    Hammersmith & Chiswick
    Harrow
    Hayes & West Drayton
    Hendon & Golders Green
    High Barnet & Mill Hill
    Kensington & Westbourne
    Kentish Town & Bloomsbury
    Kenton & Wembley West
    Norwood
    Peckham
    Sidcup and Welling
    Southall
    Southgate & Barnet East
    Stanmore & Edgware
    Stratford & Bow
    Vauxhall & Camberwell
    West Ham & Beckton
    West Hampstead & Kilburn
    Westminster & Chelsea East

https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/2023-review/london/
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.
    Someone undocumented is someone undocumented, you think the lowly civil servants processing warrants should have been making assessments? Please enlighten us how you tell. Also please enlighten us why you think people who came in the 50's might not have applied for residence or citizenship yet? . Where does anything become the individuals responsiblibility for left wing fuck nuts like you
    You accuse me of being a "left wing Fuck nut".
    The Windrush deportations happened under a Conservative government.
    True or false? Never mind. That's very last decade.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.
    They had no need to apply for British citizenship, they were effectively British citizens and could vote, work and live. What did they have a need to apply for?

The state destroying the evidence, then demanding the evidence that it had destroyed - that was Kafkaesque.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.
    Yes they happened under a conservative government. Yes they shouldnt have happened. Why they happened however is a left wing governement decided a few years before that the documentation was no longer needed.

Even so it was about 300 windrush deported, out of the original 57000 thats an error rate of 0.5 % which is probably less than the rate for those wrongly convicted.

You failed to answer the question I asked of a left wing fuck nut...why wasnt it these people's duty to get properly registered after all they only had 70 odd years? If you want to marry you need to register it, if you give birth you have to register it, if you die someone else has to register it, if you immigrate you dont need to register you being here? really?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nunu3 said:

Boundary review is out

Time to head over to the VoteUK forum to see what the anoraks make of it. (They're proud to be called that name by the way. Most of them, anyway).
    Wait. There is a geekier site?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.
    Yes they happened under a conservative government. Yes they shouldnt have happened. Why they happened however is a left wing governement decided a few years before that the documentation was no longer needed.

Even so it was about 300 windrush deported, out of the original 57000 thats an error rate of 0.5 % which is probably less than the rate for those wrongly convicted.

You failed to answer the question I asked of a left wing fuck nut...why wasnt it these people's duty to get properly registered after all they only had 70 odd years? If you want to marry you need to register it, if you give birth you have to register it, if you die someone else has to register it, if you immigrate you dont need to register you being here? really?
    They had no requirement to be "properly registered" !

The state never asked them to. They could live, marry, work and vote in elections as they were.

That the state didn't manage its side of the paperwork properly, that the state didn't keep records of who migrated, is on the state, not the people. It isn't the people's job to work for the state's benefit.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.

Maybe a "left wing Fuck nut" could answer?
    I don't presume to speak for them.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.

The state never asked them to. They could live, marry, work and vote in elections as they were.

That the state didn't manage its side of the paperwork properly, that the state didn't keep records of who migrated, is on the state, not the people. It isn't the people's job to work for the state's benefit.
    Yes but the point I was making was the state didnt have those records as they were thrown away and as usual low level civil servants were jobsworths and looked down the list of what was acceptable proof and rejected perfectly fine documents such as tax and rent because they werent on the list. I personally having dealt with many low level public sector workers if they were on fire after some of my experiences such as "We are taking you to court for non payment of poll tax" , "But I mailed you photocopies of the receipts twice now", "I didnt receive them"...stands up in court shows the receipts case dismissed.Next year get the same thing for the same fucking year

However sorry I do disagree with you that you can be here 70 odd years and never think once maybe I should legitimise myself by taking out residence or nationality
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.

Yes but the point I was making was the state didnt have those records as they were thrown away and as usual low level civil servants were jobsworths and looked down the list of what was acceptable proof and rejected perfectly fine documents such as tax and rent because they werent on the list. I personally having dealt with many low level public sector workers if they were on fire after some of my experiences such as "We are taking you to court for non payment of poll tax" , "But I mailed you photocopies of the receipts twice now", "I didnt receive them"...stands up in court shows the receipts case dismissed.Next year get the same thing for the same fucking year

However sorry I do disagree with you that you can be here 70 odd years and never think once maybe I should legitimise myself by taking out residence or nationality
    Again they were legitimate.

They legitimately had residence.
    They legitimately had nationality.
    They legitimately could vote.
    They legitimately were taxed.
    They legitimately were BRITISH CITIZENS!

So what was there to legitimise?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.

How then did they get a job, when I apply for one I have to show proof I am allowed to work in the uk. If they had that would be no problem. Same with benefits

How then did they rent anywhere first thing a landlord asks me now is for proof I am legally a uk resident.

I have all the about legitimacy's if i didnt have a passport though wouldnt matter a damn cant open a bank account, get a job claim benefits or rent a house. Why do I need a passport or some other form of id but windrush people dont ?
  • Options
    You're talking about people most of whom were 70+

Maybe they already had their home, bank account and retirement etc sorted before these things were demanded. So it would never have been asked of them. That's kind of the issue, it wasn't asked for in half a century then suddenly it was.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.

How then did they get a job, when I apply for one I have to show proof I am allowed to work in the uk. If they had that would be no problem. Same with benefits

How then did they rent anywhere first thing a landlord asks me now is for proof I am legally a uk resident.

I have all the about legitimacy's if i didnt have a passport though wouldnt matter a damn cant open a bank account, get a job claim benefits or rent a house. Why do I need a passport or some other form of id but windrush people dont ?
    The simple truth is if I came on here claiming I cant get a job because I refused getting state id or couldnt get a roof for the same reason you and many others would be saying dont be a fuckwit get state id its your own fault
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.

That's a pretty recent occurrence, though. In my first jobs (mid-90s), no-one asked me for any proof I was allowed to work in the UK, only for my NI number.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.

That's a pretty recent occurrence, though. In my first jobs (mid-90s), no-one asked me for any proof I was allowed to work in the UK, only for my NI number.
    Yes but times change. When they did I went an got photo id with proof. Apparently though while that should be expected of me it shouldn't be expected of others
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.

Yes but times change. When they did I went an got photo id with proof. Apparently though while that should be expected of me it shouldn't be expected of others
    Please dont get me wrong here the windrush deportations were terrible but I think more down to jobsworth than party policy.....I just think they could also be expected to help themselves a bit
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.

My point is that if you came here 70 years ago, you're probably 75 or 80 now. That means that it's highly likely that - through your adult life - you needed nothing more than your dog eared National Insurance card.

Now, obviously if you travelled abroad, you'd have needed a passport. But you'd be amazed how many people of that generation (particularly the poorer ones) haven't travelled.

In general though, I agree with you. It's a cock up, not a consipiracy.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Karma is mysterious.

My point is that if you came here 70 years ago, you're probably 75 or 80 now. That means that it's highly likely that - through your adult life - you needed nothing more than your dog eared National Insurance card.

Now, obviously if you travelled abroad, you'd have needed a passport. But you'd be amazed how many people of that generation (particularly the poorer ones) haven't travelled.

In general though, I agree with you. It's a cock up, not a consipiracy.
    Out of curiousity what does it say about our voting register, we have one governement deparment saying you have no right to be here another saying you have the right to vote
  • Options
    For clarification I dont believe it was either labour or tory policy to kick out windrushers I think they just caught in the middle when people followed the rules
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Pagan2 said:

For clarification I dont believe it was either labour or tory policy to kick out windrushers I think they just caught in the middle when people followed the rules

But Theresa May (as Home Secretary) did make a big push to push very enthusiastically a `hostile environment' (admittedly Alan Johnson's words) by promoting the "Go Home" vans around central London at exactly the same time as the Windrush deportations.....
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The Windrush scandal was probably caused by bureaucratic stupidity, like most negative things in life, rather than racism.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Andy_JS said:

The Windrush scandal was probably caused by bureaucratic stupidity, like most negative things in life, rather than racism.

The dumb thing about it was they destroyed all the landing cards. Why not digitise them and get rid of the paper copies if storage costs are a problem?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    In Berkshire, Hampshire, and Surrey, it has been necessary to propose two constituencies that cross county boundaries. We have proposed one constituency that contains electors from both Berkshire and Surrey, which combines the town of Windsor and the town of Egham. We have also proposed one constituency that contains electors from both Surrey and Hampshire, which combines the town of Bordon from the district of East Hampshire in a constituency with the towns of Farnham and Haslemere in Surrey’s Borough of Waverley.

In Sussex, it has been necessary to propose one constituency that crosses the boundary between East Sussex and West Sussex. We have proposed that this constituency contain electors from three districts (Lewes, Mid Sussex, and Wealden), combining the towns of East Grinstead and Uckfield.

I predict a riot.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,393
    tlg86 said:

In Berkshire, Hampshire, and Surrey, it has been necessary to propose two constituencies that cross county boundaries. We have proposed one constituency that contains electors from both Berkshire and Surrey, which combines the town of Windsor and the town of Egham. We have also proposed one constituency that contains electors from both Surrey and Hampshire, which combines the town of Bordon from the district of East Hampshire in a constituency with the towns of Farnham and Haslemere in Surrey’s Borough of Waverley.

In Sussex, it has been necessary to propose one constituency that crosses the boundary between East Sussex and West Sussex. We have proposed that this constituency contain electors from three districts (Lewes, Mid Sussex, and Wealden), combining the towns of East Grinstead and Uckfield.

I predict a riot.

My constituency of Dundee West includes bits of Angus (where I live) and Perthshire. I really don't see what the fuss is about. There is no need for Westminster and local authority boundaries to align.
This discussion has been closed.