Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Ipsos-MORI Economic Optimism index jumps to its highest level for six years – politicalbetting.c

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139

Sadiq Khan is backing a full opening up on 21 June after speaking daily to health officials.

Interesting.

Given his submariner tendencies, that must mean either that he knows it's on and wants to grab a little credit for when it happens, or he knows it's off and wants to deflect blame if London gets locked down because of Blackburn...
    Or a third option: he thinks we should open up based on the data.

Not everything has to be a bloody partisan point FFS.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,272
    alex_ said:

DougSeal said:

Sadiq Khan is backing a full opening up on 21 June after speaking daily to health officials.

Interesting.

Given his submariner tendencies, that must mean either that he knows it's on and wants to grab a little credit for when it happens, or he knows it's off and wants to deflect blame if London gets locked down because of Blackburn...
    Why would he have to deflect blame in the latter case?
    In the sense of being able to say 'Look, I was on the record arguing that we should open up on time but the Government went against me on this because of cases in other parts of the country'. He's been alternating between pro- and anti-lockdown throughout, so he’ll want to get his positioning right this time.

So I'm not sure if Sadiq’s intervention is good or bad news; but at least he’s correct this time, in my view.
    It’s got to be good news I think, not least because he’s breaking ranks from some of the nonsense the Parliamentary Labour Party are coming out with. Useful also that he cites “having spoken to health officials on the ground” in contrast to the second and third hand speculation used by Starmer, Ashcroft, Nandy et al
    The other straw in the wind was Scotland going ahead with their relaxation last week despite being on a worse trajectory than England,
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Another racist tweet posted by a current England player has emerged, hours after Ollie Robinson was suspended from international cricket while an investigation into offensive tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013 is conducted.

Wisden.com have chosen to obscure the identity of the player, who had yet to turn 16 at the time. The screenshotted post, with identifying details blanked out, is below."

https://wisden.com/stories/news-stories/another-racist-tweet-posted-by-current-england-player-emerges

Under 16?

Some people need to get a fucking grip and not be trawling through decades old Tweets by children looking for something to take offence to.

I'm all for BLM, taking a knee, anti-racism etc. But this sort of thing is just pathetic - and creepy too.
    Apparently Root, Roy & Dom Bess have been deleting tweets, but might be nothing in it, and people just playing silly Billy’s
    Better safe than sorry these days.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

"Another racist tweet posted by a current England player has emerged, hours after Ollie Robinson was suspended from international cricket while an investigation into offensive tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013 is conducted.

Wisden.com have chosen to obscure the identity of the player, who had yet to turn 16 at the time. The screenshotted post, with identifying details blanked out, is below."

https://wisden.com/stories/news-stories/another-racist-tweet-posted-by-current-england-player-emerges

Under 16?

Some people need to get a fucking grip and not be trawling through decades old Tweets by children looking for something to take offence to.

I'm all for BLM, taking a knee, anti-racism etc. But this sort of thing is just pathetic - and creepy too.
    No wonder some cricketers have been deleting their twitter accounts. Under 16, a school child.

There must be interns currrently scanning stars twitter feeds for anything they can throw at them.
    Guido does this with politicians, but I think there is some value in that as it tends to reveal what these people are like.

I’m not fussed what a medium pace bowler said 9 years ago. I know it’s a cliche, but seam bowlers aren’t the sharpest tools in the box. Just look at the Sky commentary box. Michael Holding is the token fast bowler.
    Token fast bowler. 😂
    Cricket commentary & admin does tend to be dominated by batsmen tbf - Boycott, Vaughn, Hussain, Gower, Strauss, Knight
    Batsmen or ex-captains...?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

No wonder some cricketers have been deleting their twitter accounts. Under 16, a school child.

There must be interns currrently scanning stars twitter feeds for anything they can throw at them.
    Guido does this with politicians, but I think there is some value in that as it tends to reveal what these people are like.

I’m not fussed what a medium pace bowler said 9 years ago. I know it’s a cliche, but seam bowlers aren’t the sharpest tools in the box. Just look at the Sky commentary box. Michael Holding is the token fast bowler.
    Token fast bowler. 😂
    Cricket commentary & admin does tend to be dominated by batsmen tbf - Boycott, Vaughn, Hussain, Gower, Strauss, Knight
    True. Bumble too.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Interesting.

Or a third option: he thinks we should open up based on the data.

Not everything has to be a bloody partisan point FFS.
    Come on, he's the twice-elected Mayor of London and the last one we had of those is now the PM - of course he's looking at the politics very closely. Like I say, I think he's absolutely right, but he's not sticking his neck out just because he thinks we need his objective input.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,768

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂
    Though remembered by TMS fans as a batsman. ("The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey.")
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

rkrkrk said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

I really do think we need to keep more of an eye on this than people on here think...

Case numbers are pretty much now irrelevant. The important stat is numbers in hospital, which are remaining steady.
    Hmmm...not looking that great either TBH in terms of trend...

Yes it is, that's pretty miniscule.

Plus people are presenting to hospitals with less severe illnesses that result in discharges quicker, rather than severe cases that end up on a ventilator.

On 30 April there were 1,153 patients in hospital.
    On 31 May (latest data) there are 932 patients in hospital.

There's no upwards trend on patients in hospital.
    In England beds occupied have gone up from 743 ten days ago to over 800 today. That’s anything but flat.
    805 in the most recent data. 11 days prior it was 797.

That's pretty flat. Its bounced around ~740 to ~800 on a daily basis since 16 May.
    FPT: my proposed bet is UK hospital admissions > 200 for at least 2 days in month of June. £20 to pb.com from loser. You game?
    No, that's within the realms of natural variation. The 7 day average is ~125 now so having just 2 days in June reaching 200 is pretty meaningless.

If it was doubling every 11 days it should be reaching 500 as a 7 day average by the end of June.
    Ah well, no bet to be made then.

You seem to be saying there won't be a significant uplift in hospitalizations, but I'll only bet that it won't increase 4x by end of month.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂
    Not on the radio - Agnew, Tufnell, Dagnell (occasionally), Marks.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,998
    Chameleon said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Apparently Root, Roy & Dom Bess have been deleting tweets, but might be nothing in it, and people just playing silly Billy’s
    Isn't there a way of looking at deleted tweets? I seem to recall a Twitter feed called something like "Tweets that MPs have deleted".
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

I really do think we need to keep more of an eye on this than people on here think...

Case numbers are pretty much now irrelevant. The important stat is numbers in hospital, which are remaining steady.
    Hmmm...not looking that great either TBH in terms of trend...

Yes it is, that's pretty miniscule.

Plus people are presenting to hospitals with less severe illnesses that result in discharges quicker, rather than severe cases that end up on a ventilator.

On 30 April there were 1,153 patients in hospital.
    On 31 May (latest data) there are 932 patients in hospital.

There's no upwards trend on patients in hospital.
    In England beds occupied have gone up from 743 ten days ago to over 800 today. That’s anything but flat.
    805 in the most recent data. 11 days prior it was 797.

That's pretty flat. Its bounced around ~740 to ~800 on a daily basis since 16 May.
    FPT: my proposed bet is UK hospital admissions > 200 for at least 2 days in month of June. £20 to pb.com from loser. You game?
    No, that's within the realms of natural variation. The 7 day average is ~125 now so having just 2 days in June reaching 200 is pretty meaningless.

If it was doubling every 11 days it should be reaching 500 as a 7 day average by the end of June.
    Ah well, no bet to be made then.

You seem to be saying there won't be a significant uplift in hospitalizations, but I'll only bet that it won't increase 4x by end of month.
    A 4x uplift in the 7-day average would be a significant increase.

A mere 2 days within the next 23 where cases are 60% higher than the 7 day average (and a mere 33% higher than one of the days making that average) is not a substantial increase.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    ·
    3h
    On the delta variant (B.1.617.2) in the UK: confirming the remarkable protection from vaccines
    Of 126 people admitted to the hospital, 83 were unvaccinated, 28 had 1 dose, and only 3 had 2 doses
    @SebastianEPayne

This would calculate to ~95% effectiveness
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂
    Swann, Harmison and Gough too.

Sky do tend to go for batsmen, though.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Just 2 per cent of people admitted to hospital with the Delta variant have had both doses of a coronavirus vaccine in the clearest sign yet that the jabs are breaking the link between infections and serious disease.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock told the Commons it was “still too early” to decide whether the final stage of the roadmap will go ahead on 21 June, but said the previously “rock solid” connection that sent people to hospital had been severely weakened by the vaccines.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/only-2-of-hospital-patients-with-delta-variant-are-fully-vaccinated-new-figures-show-1039944
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂
    True. Bumble too.
    Athers & Keys. Butcher
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/07/plunging-intensive-care-admissions-show-link-covid-cases-serious/

Some interesting stuff in here. Formalises the anecdotes from medical people I know who have all said that case severity is nothing like what it was.

Another reason not to delay June 21st or keep any measures.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019
    FPT
    darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

How’s about we go back to what Dr. King taught us, and treat people according to the content of their character rather than the colour of their skin?

Because this country by an large isnt all that racist anymore, yes we are still rooting out pockets of it but the truth is all those racism campaigners were virtually out of a job so they have latched on to a new money spinner with glee. They are just larcenous arseholes that would rather try and spin a fairy tale than get a proper job
    I can't believe that this country is not racist. The windrush deportations were, to my mind, evidence of outrageous institutional racism - a whole bureaucracy was set up with the apparent unspoken goal of deporting poor black people.

I really hoped that the Black Lives Matter protests would start focussing on things like this rather than problems with police shootings which really do not apply in this country. These injustices still go on; children basically lose their fathers to destitution in foreign countries after they have completed their prison sentences. They are effectively banished under blair era legislation that gives vast powers to the state which are simply exercised in an inhumane way.

Ask yourself - why should people with afro carribbean heritage suffer this fate whereas ethnic white people do not? How is that fair?

There are people, disproportionately black people, that actually suffer banishment and get their lives ruined. No one supports them because they are drug dealers or have committed terrible crimes, but they still have families, and lives are actually ruined in tangible ways (ie they become destitute in third world countries with no local networks to support them), rather than suffering PTSD from microagressions or misspoken language or whatever.

You will find many people posting on here who are oestensibly on my side of the argument (I am definetely not woke) who claim not to be racist but then celebrate the deportation of foreign criminals. I just think this, as much as wokeness, marks the decline of our civilisation.

According to the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford, in 2019 68% of all those deported for criminal offenses were EU citizens. Trying to make out this is a racist policy is simply wrong and does you no credit at all.
  • Options

Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    ·
    3h
    On the delta variant (B.1.617.2) in the UK: confirming the remarkable protection from vaccines
    Of 126 people admitted to the hospital, 83 were unvaccinated, 28 had 1 dose, and only 3 had 2 doses
    @SebastianEPayne

Surely that's much more than 95% effectiveness? For 2 doses at least.

3 of 126 people admitted is basically 2% of people admitted. Since the double-doses people are supposed to be those who are far, far, far more likely to be hospitalised, the effectiveness would be much more than 95% or even 98%

Though those numbers don't add up. 83 + 28 + 3 = 114, not 126, so who were the other 12 people?
  • Options

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

How’s about we go back to what Dr. King taught us, and treat people according to the content of their character rather than the colour of their skin?

Because this country by an large isnt all that racist anymore, yes we are still rooting out pockets of it but the truth is all those racism campaigners were virtually out of a job so they have latched on to a new money spinner with glee. They are just larcenous arseholes that would rather try and spin a fairy tale than get a proper job
    I can't believe that this country is not racist. The windrush deportations were, to my mind, evidence of outrageous institutional racism - a whole bureaucracy was set up with the apparent unspoken goal of deporting poor black people.

I really hoped that the Black Lives Matter protests would start focussing on things like this rather than problems with police shootings which really do not apply in this country. These injustices still go on; children basically lose their fathers to destitution in foreign countries after they have completed their prison sentences. They are effectively banished under blair era legislation that gives vast powers to the state which are simply exercised in an inhumane way.

Ask yourself - why should people with afro carribbean heritage suffer this fate whereas ethnic white people do not? How is that fair?

There are people, disproportionately black people, that actually suffer banishment and get their lives ruined. No one supports them because they are drug dealers or have committed terrible crimes, but they still have families, and lives are actually ruined in tangible ways (ie they become destitute in third world countries with no local networks to support them), rather than suffering PTSD from microagressions or misspoken language or whatever.

You will find many people posting on here who are oestensibly on my side of the argument (I am definetely not woke) who claim not to be racist but then celebrate the deportation of foreign criminals. I just think this, as much as wokeness, marks the decline of our civilisation.

According to the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford, in 2019 68% of all those deported for criminal offenses were EU citizens. Trying to make out this is a racist policy is simply wrong and does you no credit at all.
    If you don't want to be deported for committing a criminal offence, then don't commit criminal offences.

And these are offences resulting in jail time, not speeding tickets, aren't they?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    ·
    3h
    @SebastianEPayne

I make it better than that, but by a handwavy guesstimate.

Assume that double-vaxxed-plus-two-weeks = 65+
    Single-vaxxed-plus-three-weeks = 45-64
    Unvaxxed = under 45.

For around 120 under-45s to be hospitalised, we’d expect c. 200 45-64s and 400+ over 65s pre-vaccine.

Of course, this gets skewed by the number of unvaxxed who were vax refusers (the more there are, the more this calculation overshoots the real protectiveness; paradoxically, the fewer elderly vax refusers there are in the unvaxxed, the better the indicators for us).
    But if the association with those age groups was perfect, then 1 dose is about 60% protective vs hospitalisation and 2 doses a superb 98.5% protective vs hospitalisation.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,586
    edited June 2021
    I'm not in favour of punishing Ollie Robinson for historic stuff.
    Nor am I in favour of trawling through players' posts from when they were teenagers to find something offensive.

But at the same time, there seems to be a view from people that saying or writing homophobic, racist or sexist things is a 'normal' part of being a teenager. It certainly wasn't in the circles I've moved in, and I'd be horrified if my children tweeted, or thought, such stuff when they were teenagers.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂

Sky had a deliberate policy for a number of years of employing ex England captains. They obviously drew the line at Vaughan though, whose both an idiot but also not somebody to respect the party line. Interestingly it’s the BBC who go after the “speak your mind” Mavericks.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    Well it was mainly over-50s night at the vaccination centre this evening. All us second dosers getting AZ while the youngsters are getting Pfizer at the other centre across town.

Interestingly, the nurse asked if I had any side effects from my first dose. I decided that answering 'a fatal blood clot' would not be appropriate or funny. I don't know if my response was collated or if it was just to check that I hadn't suffered anything too severe.

All very efficient, out the door around 10 minutes after I arrived.

So far, just a bit of an ache in my arm, but I expect any feverishness to hit in the early hours. Actually, as I'm typing, perhaps the first hint of a headache. I think I'll dose up on paracetamol before bed.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,546
    What happens when MARCUS RASHFORD sees an alien? And it turns out the genius aliens like Brexit?

That is gonna trip a million fucking fuses

"Ok so I promise we weren't on magic mushrooms or anything but..."

Chris Smalling and his wife Sam claim to have spotted a UFO in Jamaica on Sunday evening in one of the most bizarre statements we've ever read. What a story!"

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1401984937880965125?s=20
  • Options

Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    ·
    3h
    @SebastianEPayne

Surely that's much more than 95% effectiveness? For 2 doses at least.

3 of 126 people admitted is basically 2% of people admitted. Since the double-doses people are supposed to be those who are far, far, far more likely to be hospitalised, the effectiveness would be much more than 95% or even 98%

Though those numbers don't add up. 83 + 28 + 3 = 114, not 126, so who were the other 12 people?
    I think they might be missing a sub group of single dosers
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

They’re up.

That cases surge looks to have started about 20 days ago. So hospitalisations should be about 10 days lagged.

10 days ago, we were at 743 in hospital in England; this morning we were at 860.
    The increase is primarily in the NW and East of England, where the Delta outbreaks are worst.

Could all be random fluctuations, but it’s still not ideal and not what I’d call flat.
    Dashboard says 805, where does 860 come from? In the sw we have 13 in hospital in the entire region, with 1 admission and 1 on ventilation.
    Up to date figures for England are here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Hospital numbers for England up to this morning (rather than just the 3rd)
    Looking at that dataset, it is important to note that the "in hospital" numbers are very volatile on a day-to-day basis, and also tend to show big jumps on Mondays. Tuesdays, by contrast, seem to involve drops of around 30 people.

If the 'in hospital' number leaps again tomorrow, then that's definitely something to be concerned about.

That being said... it is worth looking on a health authority basis. Are we seeing the places that got Delta first (like Bradford and Bedford) continuing to see rises? Or did they plateau and drop.

If this is a case of Delta continuing to cause ever greater admissions in an area, that is clearly much more concerning than if it is just other authorities following in the footsteps of places that plateaued quickly.
  • Options

Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    ·
    3h
    @SebastianEPayne

I think higher than 95% once age adjustments are accounted for. The expected hospitalisations in the double vaccinated cohort for that many cases is much higher than 60, plus there would normally be more than 2x the cases as the vaccine stops people from being infected at all around 70% of the time. From a guesstimate without writing a model I'd guess at a cumulative reduction in hospitalisations of around 98%, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually closer to 99.9% but I'd need to do some maths.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    alex_ said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂

Sky had a deliberate policy for a number of years of employing ex England captains. They obviously drew the line at Vaughan though, whose both an idiot but also not somebody to respect the party line. Interestingly it’s the BBC who go after the “speak your mind” Mavericks.
    Michael Vaughan is my favourite batsman of the time I’ve been watching cricket. But you’re right that he’s not the best commentator.

Nasser and Atherton are the best in my opinion.
  • Options
    Made me laugh:

*Hollywood office, a producer is pitching a movie*
    "It's incredible, I've got Spielberg to direct!"
    "Stephen Spielberg?"
    "Not quite, his cousin Keith. But I have Streep as lead."
    "Meryl Streep?"
    "Hilda Streep, but she's great, and finally I've got Fox!"
    "Laurence Fox?'
    "Yes."

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1402012838261035013?s=20
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,830

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Liftoff for the vaccine rocket under the economy.

Yeah, I've made a ton of savings because of WFH.

I feel morally obligated to spend that money to help the economy and the people who have struggled these last fifteen months.

#Altruistic
    The Northampton shoe industry will have to expand to cope.
    I don't need to buy any more footwear for the rest of the year.

I'm all stocked up.

It is Turnbull & Asser and the bespoke tailors of Savile Row that will see the majority of my clothing & footwear spending.
    I've developed a thing for buying excess clothes over lockdown too. Particularly linen shirts for some reason. I've picked up some good gear at tasty prices.
    Work clothes such as suits are a real bargain at the moment. Not that I am buying, as it looks like scrubs for a while yet. NHS England has told us at the weekend that the June 21st relaxation doesn't apply to health care settings.
    Any recommendations for where to buy a decent suit, @Foxy? I seem to need to upgrade my size a little (I blame lockdown) and I've found it very hard to replace my Austin Reed suits with anything of comparable quality.

--AS
    You need the figure for them, but Ben Sherman have some bargains:

https://www.bensherman.co.uk/clearance/clothing/suits

Similarly Ted Baker is doing good discounts:

https://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Mens-Sale/Clothing/c/mens_sale_clothing?int_cmpid=_m_mn_sale-clothing#?"f":(("categories-c","globalproductcatalogonline_globalcategory_globalmenssale_globalmenssaleclothing_globalmensjacketscoatssale"))
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,728
    Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Isn't there a way of looking at deleted tweets? I seem to recall a Twitter feed called something like "Tweets that MPs have deleted".
    politwoop, I think?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂
    Though remembered by TMS fans as a batsman. ("The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey.")
    It’s a spurious difference, and Willey did occasionally turn his arm over, but sure it was Holding as the bowler and Willey as the batsman...? I can’t think of any circumstance where an England captain would have thought that Willey was the obvious man to turn to as Holding marched to the crease!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited June 2021

Nor am I in favour of trawling through players' posts from when they were teenagers to find something offensive.

But at the same time, there seems to be a view from people that saying or writing homophobic, racist or sexist things is a 'normal' part of being a teenager. It certainly wasn't in the circles I've moved in, and I'd be horrified if my children tweeted, or thought, such stuff when they were teenagers.

Your immaculate purity of thought and word is truly commendable. Well done you.
  • Options

Made me laugh:

*Hollywood office, a producer is pitching a movie*
    "It's incredible, I've got Spielberg to direct!"
    "Stephen Spielberg?"
    "Not quite, his cousin Keith. But I have Streep as lead."
    "Meryl Streep?"
    "Hilda Streep, but she's great, and finally I've got Fox!"
    "Laurence Fox?'
    "Yes."

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1402012838261035013?s=20

hahahahha

I like Laurence Fox but that's a genius joke
  • Options

Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    ·
    3h
    @SebastianEPayne

I make it better than that, but by a handwavy guesstimate.

Assume that double-vaxxed-plus-two-weeks = 65+
    Single-vaxxed-plus-three-weeks = 45-64
    Unvaxxed = under 45.

For around 120 under-45s to be hospitalised, we’d expect c. 200 45-64s and 400+ over 65s pre-vaccine.

Of course, this gets skewed by the number of unvaxxed who were vax refusers (the more there are, the more this calculation overshoots the real protectiveness; paradoxically, the fewer elderly vax refusers there are in the unvaxxed, the better the indicators for us).
    But if the association with those age groups was perfect, then 1 dose is about 60% protective vs hospitalisation and 2 doses a superb 98.5% protective vs hospitalisation.
    You also need to add in the cumulative reduction from fewer cases and from the reduction in spread by double dosed people. The actual cumulative reduction in hospitalisations will be over 99%, probably approaching 99.9% given the studies into the halting of spread and the ~90% efficacy against symptomatic COVID from both vaccines and 70% against asymptomatic from Pfizer.
  • Options

As is your sarcasm.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,553

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂
    Other way round, though there is considerable doubt that Johnners actually said: the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey in 1976.

Lillee caught Willey bowled Dilley did happen.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019

Um I would suggest that Northern_Al's position is the one of most, if not all, reasonable parents. Of course teenagers will do daft stuff but you like to think there are somethings that are simply beyond the pale. Homophobia and racism should be viewed in that light. Any kid who has reached middle teens should know how out of order it is.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    tlg86 said:

alex_ said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂

Michael Vaughan is my favourite batsman of the time I’ve been watching cricket. But you’re right that he’s not the best commentator.

He’s also the go to rent-a-quote on Twitter. Guaranteed to take a controversial/contrarian line, but very inconsistent as a result.

And often with conflicts of interest as I think he’s involved in managing players through an agency company.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

alex_ said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂

My favourite commentators were Richie Benaud and Tony Grieg. Sadly both of them are no longer with us.
  • Options
    Puzzled by the number of professionals who are convinced that we either should or shouldn’t go ahead with immunising teenagers vs COVID19 when, manifestly, it’s unclear. While a decision may have to be made soon for logistical and planning reasons, it’s going to be a v hard call.

https://twitter.com/adamhfinn/status/1401820782519635969?s=20
  • Options

Um I would suggest that Northern_Al's position is the one of most, if not all, reasonable parents. Of course teenagers will do daft stuff but you like to think there are somethings that are simply beyond the pale. Homophobia and racism should be viewed in that light. Any kid who has reached middle teens should know how out of order it is.
    Thank you. Teaching the kids courtesy is also important.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015

It was very trendy to edgelord in those days.
    Today's teens, having grown up with social media, are under no illusions that it is on your permanent record.
    We are all learning how to use it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    The editor of respected medical journal The Lancet has refused to reveal if he still supports a controversial letter debunking claims that COVID-19 started in a Chinese laboratory.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9661605/Editor-Lancet-refuses-reveal-supports-letter-claiming-Covid-started-lab.html
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

I feel morally obligated to spend that money to help the economy and the people who have struggled these last fifteen months.

#Altruistic
    Freakonomics had a good episode recently about WFH...it could well be another driver of inequality, if you have a profession where you can WFH from basically anywhere, you can easily choose to live somewhere cheaper and save all the money on commuting etc, extending your advantage over others.

Where as if you are a bus driver in London, you can hardly move to more than a quite limited distance from the capital with all the costs that incurs.
    Though, if London does become less desirable, that does benefit those that have to live there.

The interesting question is, what happens to London weighting? There have been whispers that the civil service might start cutting wages if people refuse to go to the office.

In a funny kind of way, we could end up with some people spending more time in the office. Pre-COVID there was a tendency for more senior members of staff to come and go as they pleased at my place. If we move to a more formal “you need to spend x number of hours at your desk”, some staff members will actually have to do more time in the office as it’ll have to apply to everyone.
    Covid has made London more agreeable, in some ways. There are near-zero foreign tourists, so everywhere that is fun is less crowded. You can drive around the West End without a care (apart from the Congestion Charge)

And everyone everywhere is a Londoner. We reclaim our city, just for one summer. Camden Market is OURS.

It feels like the 1960s
    I was trying to think when my earliest memory of visiting London was. Around 1985/86 I think, although it was just places like the Science Museum, NH Museum, Tower of London, etc. Also remember visiting the Museum of the Moving Picture in the South Bank in about 1988. It wasn't there very long IIRC.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,728

Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    ·
    3h
    @SebastianEPayne

I'm watching the European numbers on that - will any country COVID occurrence numbers figures blip upwards?

At the moment it is just Portugal, Slovenia.
  • Options
    Well, they'll be getting plenty of them from NordStream 2:

Russian authorities are planning to shift the nation’s currency liquidity from the US dollar to the euro, the country’s Finance Ministry announced on Monday.
    “Our number one goal is to turn Russia into a euro-oriented country, thus to replace the dollar with the euro,” said Dmitry Timofeev, head of the department of external restrictive measures control at the Russian Finance Ministry.

https://www.rt.com/business/525902-russia-dumps-dollar-for-euro/
  • Options

As a parent, I am depressed by the extreme niceness of my teenage daughters. They are kind and lovely and Woke, but where is the teenage rebellion?

Wokeness is the religion of our day, the ideology of their liberal parents, why aren't they kicking against it?

This sounds like sarcasm, it is not. We need young people to innovate, to think outside the envelope, to reject conformity, instead we have bred a generation of sober sheep. And the boys are even WORSE
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,768

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂
    Other way round, though there is considerable doubt that Johnners actually said: the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey in 1976.

Thanks for the correction and I agree that it wasn't actually said in commentary. It may have cropped up in a laddish conversation during a rain break, though.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

As a parent, I am depressed by the extreme niceness of my teenage daughters. They are kind and lovely and Woke, but where is the teenage rebellion?

Wokeness is the religion of our day, the ideology of their liberal parents, why aren't they kicking against it?

This sounds like sarcasm, it is not. We need young people to innovate, to think outside the envelope, to reject conformity, instead we have bred a generation of sober sheep. And the boys are even WORSE
    Are you suggesting that kids can't be rebellious without being racist, sexist or homophobic? My kids were rebellious enough, thanks, but didn't commit the aforementioned sins.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited June 2021

It's not that saying homophobic, racist or sexist things is normal (well, sexist probably is) as a teenager, it's that teenagers doing stupid things is not worth punishing people over, particularly years later when they have not done or said such stupid things since, and even more so if it was poor attempts at humour.

Their parents and acquaintances could be horrified, or not, and respond appropriately at the time. Nigh on ten years later with no record of acting in a way which suggested they were racist or sexist, or even said such stuff? Who would care? Or rather, who should care?

I've told far more offensive jokes, and if they came to light would people being disappointed be reasonable? Sure. Professional or public condemnation? Give me a break. Robinson may have been contracted at the time, which I guess is why they are still interested, but unless online detectives turn up a patter, the 'ignore it, he was a dumb teen' brigade have the high ground.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Today's teens, having grown up with social media, are under no illusions that it is on your permanent record.
    Giving myself away here - I had to google edgelord. I must get down with the kids.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594

The editor of respected medical journal The Lancet has refused to reveal if he still supports a controversial letter debunking claims that COVID-19 started in a Chinese laboratory.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9661605/Editor-Lancet-refuses-reveal-supports-letter-claiming-Covid-started-lab.html

More bullshit from the Daily Mail.

The Lancet isn't a respected medical journal, I mean it was at the heart of the MMR hoax perpetrated by Andrew Wakefield.
  • Options

He needs to resign. Like, yesterday

I do not understand why he still has a job. Does he own this fucking magazine? He is trashing its brand, daily, with every day he clings on

The Lancet literally published a letter, crucially squashing all discussion of a lab leak hypothesis for a year, a letter which was organised and written by the man who funded the "gain of function" research at the Wuhan lab. and at the end they declared "no conflict of interest" and they made no mention of the OTHER links between the letter signers and the lab, which were multiple

This is a slam dunk. He must go. Even if the lab leak is bollocks, this was an attempt to deceive the world about a global plague killing mullions
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 803
    It seems to me that the government will probably come up with some halfway house - remove legal restrictions but keep in place some form of social distancing and mask guidance. Subject to review in five week's time, by which point the vaccination programme will be essentially complete.

I think that would be a reasonable compromise.
  • Options

Well it was mainly over-50s night at the vaccination centre this evening. All us second dosers getting AZ while the youngsters are getting Pfizer at the other centre across town.

Interestingly, the nurse asked if I had any side effects from my first dose. I decided that answering 'a fatal blood clot' would not be appropriate or funny. I don't know if my response was collated or if it was just to check that I hadn't suffered anything too severe.

So far, just a bit of an ache in my arm, but I expect any feverishness to hit in the early hours. Actually, as I'm typing, perhaps the first hint of a headache. I think I'll dose up on paracetamol before bed.

I would if I were you, take the edge off any fever before it gets the chance to bite.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    Leon said:

What happens when MARCUS RASHFORD sees an alien? And it turns out the genius aliens like Brexit?

That is gonna trip a million fucking fuses

"Ok so I promise we weren't on magic mushrooms or anything but..."

Chris Smalling and his wife Sam claim to have spotted a UFO in Jamaica on Sunday evening in one of the most bizarre statements we've ever read. What a story!"

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1401984937880965125?s=20

Brexiteer aliens? There must be a blockbuster novel hidden amongst those two words.
  • Options

From what i've read though, some or all of these tweets fall more into the category of bad taste jokes than outright racism though. Which i think makes a difference.

Also there is another point here. It appears to be the prevailing view in most spheres that often racist/homophobic/sexist comments (i'm not going to say views/opinions necessarily) are a by-product of poor education. Hence "diversity" courses etc that people are sent on to learn about why what they said is wrong/offensive.

But if you accept that education is an issue, then it makes even less of a case for punishing somebody for things they might have said or done as a teenager, and possibly as a teenager in an environment where there was a deficit of said "education".

• Options
    kle4 said:

It's not that saying homophobic, racist or sexist things is normal (well, sexist probably is) as a teenager, it's that teenagers doing stupid things is not worth punishing people over, particularly years later when they have not done or said such stupid things since, and even more so if it was poor attempts at humour.

Their parents and acquaintances could be horrified, or not, and respond appropriately at the time. Nigh on ten years later with no record of acting in a way which suggested they were racist or sexist, or even said such stuff? Who would care? Or rather, who should care?
    Read my post. I was agreeing with you about not punishing people years later.
  • Options

Blimey, we truly live in different worlds. You must surely be in your 20s?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Under 16?

Token fast bowler. 😂

I heard the Lillee, Willey, Dilley moment live on the wireless.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Don't you get it?

Their "niceness" is a rebellion against your desire for rebelliousness.....
  • Options
    The Times are saying the 21st of June easing is going to be delayed by a fortnight.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

#Altruistic

I'm all stocked up.

It is Turnbull & Asser and the bespoke tailors of Savile Row that will see the majority of my clothing & footwear spending.
    I've developed a thing for buying excess clothes over lockdown too. Particularly linen shirts for some reason. I've picked up some good gear at tasty prices.
    Work clothes such as suits are a real bargain at the moment. Not that I am buying, as it looks like scrubs for a while yet. NHS England has told us at the weekend that the June 21st relaxation doesn't apply to health care settings.
    Any recommendations for where to buy a decent suit, @Foxy? I seem to need to upgrade my size a little (I blame lockdown) and I've found it very hard to replace my Austin Reed suits with anything of comparable quality.

--AS
    You've just opened up a can of worms mate.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

#Altruistic

I'm all stocked up.

--AS
    You need the figure for them, but Ben Sherman have some bargains:

https://www.bensherman.co.uk/clearance/clothing/suits

Similarly Ted Baker is doing good discounts:

https://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Mens-Sale/Clothing/c/mens_sale_clothing?int_cmpid=_m_mn_sale-clothing#?"f":(("categories-c","globalproductcatalogonline_globalcategory_globalmenssale_globalmenssaleclothing_globalmensjacketscoatssale"))
    Thanks! Not a great range of sizes in the sale at first glance but I'll give them a proper look tomorrow. I find it very hard to get off-the-peg suits to fit, as my shoulders are out of proportion with the rest of me (from using the wheelchair). Moss Bros had what they call made-to-measure suits in Ted Baker fabrics, but last I used them the service in my local branch was utterly, utterly atrocious...

--AS
  • Options
    Called it...

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,917

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

That doesn't mean much without knowing the relative proportions of subpopulations and sub-sub-populations (age and gender are strong correlates/determinants of criminal activity) and, indeed, race (it's possible to be a non-white EU citizen, after all).
  • Options

More bullshit from the Daily Mail.

The Lancet isn't a respected medical journal, I mean it was at the heart of the MMR hoax perpetrated by Andrew Wakefield.
    I remember early on in the COVID pandemic he was treated as a go to expert by lots of the media (before bloody non-independent SAGE)....strangely he has gone rather quiet more recently.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Leon said:

Enforced rebellion is as bad as enforced conformity. Why shouldn't your kids adopt values that they respect, and quite likely rebel against something else? There's a reason why Corbyn attracted such crowds of young people, mistaken though you might think them - he offered a vision of a society very different from our own, and kids were attracted to that. Isn't that better than rebelling against ideas of tolerance and, yes, niceness?
  • Options

Leon said:

Are you suggesting that kids can't be rebellious without being racist, sexist or homophobic? My kids were rebellious enough, thanks, but didn't commit the aforementioned sins.
    They don't rebel at ALL, as far as I can see

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Russian authorities are planning to shift the nation’s currency liquidity from the US dollar to the euro, the country’s Finance Ministry announced on Monday.
    “Our number one goal is to turn Russia into a euro-oriented country, thus to replace the dollar with the euro,” said Dmitry Timofeev, head of the department of external restrictive measures control at the Russian Finance Ministry.

It's actually quite hard to do that, because there are far, far fewer Euros in existence than Dollars.

(Simply, far more people borrow in Euros than Dollars. And it is the quantity of borrowing that determines the amount of currency in circulation.)
  • Options

Isn't that potentially going to cause them even more problems given the importance of oil to their economy?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Ratters said:

It seems to me that the government will probably come up with some halfway house - remove legal restrictions but keep in place some form of social distancing and mask guidance. Subject to review in five week's time, by which point the vaccination programme will be essentially complete.

I think that would be a reasonable compromise.

You'd think so, but given how often the public authorities, including government and police, don't understand the difference between law and guidance, it may be less reasonable than it sounds.

kle4 said:

Read my post. I was agreeing with you about not punishing people years later.
    I didn't say you did, so the 'read my post' bit is totally unnecessary and rather strange - read my post as well, where I was addressing, instead, your point about being horrified about children saying these things, and the contention that people are suggesting it is normal, a contention I believe is false. People are saying that saying dumb things is normal, but that is not the quite the same thing as that saying homophobic et al things is normal, just that as a subset of dumb things, it is not worth reacting to.
  • Options

Should, yes.

But if they don't I think it says as much about their parents and the upbringing they've had, than it does about them as individuals.

Plus it also depends upon context. Saying offensive things as a joke used to be called comedy, not -ism and that's something that teenagers still meddle with. When I was young people used to call things they didn't like etc "gay", but it wasn't really meant homophobic. If I someone found out that a child of the 80s said in the 90s was that something "gay" then I wouldn't consider their grown up self now in the 2020s to be a homophobe as a result of that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I do not understand why he still has a job. Does he own this fucking magazine? He is trashing its brand, daily, with every day he clings on

The Lancet literally published a letter, crucially squashing all discussion of a lab leak hypothesis for a year, a letter which was organised and written by the man who funded the "gain of function" research at the Wuhan lab. and at the end they declared "no conflict of interest" and they made no mention of the OTHER links between the letter signers and the lab, which were multiple

This is a slam dunk. He must go. Even if the lab leak is bollocks, this was an attempt to deceive the world about a global plague killing mullions
    It is quite incredible....and obviously not his first shall we say mistep...and this is a scientific journal, where trust and integrity is key.
  • Options

The Times are saying the 21st of June easing is going to be delayed by a fortnight.

Indeed. I couldn't see any other outcome from the latest data.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Called it...

That's Matt Hancock and Michael Gove trying to bounce the government into it. They do it every fucking time. Boris needs to step up and have a clear out of these c***s.
  • Options

Didn't the Currant Bun report this 2 days ago?
  • Options
    "One Cabinet source" gets a front page headline:

TIMES: Lockdown lifting set to be delayed by fortnight #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1402017225834385414?s=20

"Let's go fly a kite, up to the highest height....."
  • Options
    isam said:

Blimey, we truly live in different worlds. You must surely be in your 20s?
    Somewhat older, though yes, I'm sure we've lived in different worlds. I've never been enamoured of lads' culture or lads' banter. I always preferred female friends - much more civilised, usually.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Called it...

I do not support this. 👎

Though if its just for a fortnight, strictly to get vaccines to a set level in that time, then it should be possible to lock in that date. Dates not data from that point on, because the data of vaccinations will be locked, so must the date.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Called it...

That's Matt Hancock and Michael Gove trying to bounce the government into it. They do it every fucking time. Boris needs to step up and have a clear out of these c***s.
    Whitty and Valance surely?
  • Options
    Reading the text it appears the delay could be between 2 weeks and a month.

Sir Graham Brady's postie is going to get a hernia.
  • Options

Leon said:

They can and should be rebellious without being so. But it's more forgivable as a juvenille act, when it is clear it is part of some mistaken approach to rebelliousness.

That's why gratuitously offensive or shocking opinions come across as so juvenille - we recognise its usually teens who try that crap, and while we give them a bit of a pass, adults trying it are just sad.
  • Options
    isam said:

I would if I were you, take the edge off any fever before it gets the chance to bite.
    Triple Jameson's should do the trick.
  • Options

Leon said:

It is quite incredible....and obviously not his first shall we say mistep...and this is a scientific journal, where trust and integrity is key.
    He must be shagging the owner's daughter or something. He is completely devalued, indeed he is anti-value. A proven crank and a proven liar. Editing one of the most respected medical journals in the world, and destroying it. Not good
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Giving myself away here - I had to google edgelord. I must get down with the kids.
    I'm assuming that it is a cross between Edgbaston and Lord's. Some sort of fictional test cricket ground?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224
    DougSeal said:

Doug - your analysis is correct

Stage 4 will be delayed by at least 2 weeks. Possibly up to beginning August to align with school holidays. And then it will only be 'Stage 3.5' as posted here previously. Masks still everywhere under Stage 3.5.
  • Options

Reading the text it appears the delay could be between 2 weeks and a month.

Sir Graham Brady's postie is going to get a hernia.

So long as we don't go backwards.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

They’re up.

That cases surge looks to have started about 20 days ago. So hospitalisations should be about 10 days lagged.

10 days ago, we were at 743 in hospital in England; this morning we were at 860.
    The increase is primarily in the NW and East of England, where the Delta outbreaks are worst.

Could all be random fluctuations, but it’s still not ideal and not what I’d call flat.
    Dashboard says 805, where does 860 come from? In the sw we have 13 in hospital in the entire region, with 1 admission and 1 on ventilation.
    Up to date figures for England are here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Hospital numbers for England up to this morning (rather than just the 3rd)
    Looking at that dataset, it is important to note that the "in hospital" numbers are very volatile on a day-to-day basis, and also tend to show big jumps on Mondays. Tuesdays, by contrast, seem to involve drops of around 30 people.

If the 'in hospital' number leaps again tomorrow, then that's definitely something to be concerned about.

That being said... it is worth looking on a health authority basis. Are we seeing the places that got Delta first (like Bradford and Bedford) continuing to see rises? Or did they plateau and drop.

If this is a case of Delta continuing to cause ever greater admissions in an area, that is clearly much more concerning than if it is just other authorities following in the footsteps of places that plateaued quickly.
    The NHS trust numbers are woefully slow in being updated, but when Bolton last was at the start of the month it looked like admissions were starting to fall, the total number in hospital had levelled off and the ventilator cases were still moving upwards. That's wholly consistent with the notion of the admissions dropping off as cases peaked and then went into decline, but it taking time for patients to either be discharged or get progressively sicker.

In any event, the number of Covid patients in Bolton was only about one third of that at the height of the January peak, and there's anecdotal evidence to suggest that the typical such patient in May was less ill and needing less treatment than those admitted in previous waves.

The numbers in Bedfordshire were so small that there was barely any change in the Covid burden on the hospitals there at all.

Beyond that, it is worth looking at what happened in the period from August to October last year to understand what we would expect to see if we were headed into another massacre. Once the Plague cases started increasing out of the late Summer trough in 2020, hospital admissions quickly accelerated through the as-yet unvaccinated populace from about 150 per day in early September, to 250 in mid-September, 450 at the end of the month, 1,000 in mid-October and 1,500 per day by the end of October.

This time around, with all the screaming and panic there's been over Delta, the increase in admissions has been from something like 100 per day at the start of May to 130 per day at the end. It's bugger all, and there's every reason to suppose that it's down to localised outbreaks that aren't placing an intolerable burden on hospital care even where they are occurring.

Basically, Delta is burning primarily through areas of above average population density, above average incidence of large households in cramped accommodation, and below average levels of vaccine take-up - and even then, a substantial amount of seeding from India appears to have been needed to get things going. In the rest of the country, it's propagating at a snail's pace or simply breaking itself against a huge wall of the already vaccinated.

In the great marathon race between the vaccines and the virus, the vaccines are now powering along the Embankment whereas the virus is puking its guts out in the vicinity of the Cutty Sark. It's going to take a variant vastly nastier than Delta to give it the rocket-propelled roller skates needed to catch up again, and the longer this wretched ordeal drags on for the more reason there is to believe that it ain't going to happen.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Called it...

I do not support this. 👎

Though if its just for a fortnight, strictly to get vaccines to a set level in that time, then it should be possible to lock in that date. Dates not data from that point on, because the data of vaccinations will be locked, so must the date.
    And when those two weeks are up it will be "just another two weeks" until we get to August and then it's "just until the booster programme is done". Don't give them an inch. The scientists, Gove, Hancock - all of the bastards need to be gone yesterday. Graham Brady should start asking for letters if Boris allows any delays to the schedule. Enough is enough. Fuck vaccine refusers and fuck any idiots who think extending lockdown is warranted to protect them from their own idiotic decisions.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Stage 4 will be delayed by at least 2 weeks. Possibly up to beginning August to align with school holidays. And then it will only be 'Stage 3.5' as posted here previously. Masks still everywhere under Stage 3.5.
    Aligning with school holidays makes all the sense in the world - although reading The Times piece it seems to suggest they are moving away from a "Step 3.5" approach because of the mixed messaging.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

DougSeal said:

Called it...

I do not support this. 👎

Indeed, or else there will be more excuses.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Honestly, your acceptance of this is an absolute shocker mate. You've become institutionalised by the doom mongering scientists.
  • Options
    I think if government delay, Tories poll numbers will go through the floor...it will seriously piss people off and as reported as government lost control of covid again and failed.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Called it...

I do not support this. 👎

Once you start delaying it become very difficult unless you absolutely lay the opening date in stone. I'm not sure that the figures on cases/hospitalisation will look better in two weeks. In fact they may look worse. Seeming abstract figures about vaccine protection won't change that.
  • Options

Leon said:

There's a reason why Corbyn attracted such crowds of young people, mistaken though you might think them - he offered a vision of a society very different from our own, and kids were attracted to that.
    That's how I knew I was an old codger at heart - I never understood why the regular cliches of politics, for such is what they generally were, however well they were put, so gripped young people as being something visionary, even if it was the first time they heard it (and he had plenty of passionate support from people who will definitely have heard the same lines before). Whatever the positives of his delivery and appeal for them, was it really offering that different a vision of society?

Apparently a lot of people thought so, but I'm not sure I'll ever get it.
  • Options
    I fully expect Covid Passports to be revived.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Called it...

Whitty and Valance surely?
    No, Hancock and Gove. They're the lockdown ultras and both are friendly with The Times.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Honestly, your acceptance of this is an absolute shocker mate. You've become institutionalised by the doom mongering scientists.
    I'm just taking a pragmatic view based on my interpretation of the trends.

Of course I might be wrong - it's not unusual! :lol:
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    Leon said:

The fact that it annoys you so much indicates that their attitude is a form of rebellion. Every new generation kicks against the ideals of their parents generation. In the words of the demon C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters:

"Some ages are lukewarm and complacent, and then it is our business to soothe them yet faster asleep. Other ages, of which the present is one, are unbalanced and prone to faction, and it is our business to inflame them"

Maybe niceness isn't such a bad thing in our own age of faction and unbalance?
This discussion has been closed.