Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Hartlepool by-election is a must win for both Johnson and Starmer – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

The comments from UVDL today are unacceptable and why anyone can support her or the EU is beyond belief

I did vote remain and accepted leaving as a democratic vote, but I would not vote to be any part of this toxic organisation again

You concede they do have an argument on the IPR though? Team effort created it, so all the team have a say?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Wasn't the number one argument of EU membership that the EU are best placed to negotiate deals?
    Were they always this terrible at negotiating deals, or is their ineptitude specific to the pandemic?
    They’ve almost certainly never procured pharmaceuticals before.

They prioritised price and liability in the negotiations, as other countries were prioritising time and capital investment partnerships.

Not sure the UK and Israel care too much at this point, about having to eat price and liability.
    Prioritising price hasn't worked out now they've fallen out with the £3 option and are buying lots of the £25 option.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Sandpit said:

maaarsh said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

It's interesting that England is running so fewer 2nd doses compared to the other nations.

That changes from this week when millions of second doses become necessary per week.
    From a bang per buck point of view it makes sense at a macro level.

You get 2/3rd risk reduction from a 1st shot in a fresh person, and just an extra 1/4 risk reduction from a second shot, so why wouldn't you maximise first shots?
    There's a case for second shots for crusties over first shots for 20 year olds, as the risk or death for a 20 year old is so low.
    If you're purely aiming for individual protection. From a lowering R and preventing general spread there would be something to be said for getting immunity going in younger, more social demographics now the priority groups are basically covered.
    The one-shot J&J arrives in April, they should send them out to pharmacies and do them to all-comers standing in line.
    McDonalds, Starbucks, etc Drive-Thrus.....I'll have 48 shots in a venti mocha frappuccino with soy mocha drizzle, matcha powder, protein powder, caramel brûlée topping, strawberries, two bananas, caramel drizzle frappuccino chips and vanilla bean....and a J&J jab please.
    Reopen bars and give a free Jagerbomb to everyone who gets jabbed. Shots for shots.
    Disgusting stuff Jägermeister.
    It's quite nice served straight from the freezer. Problem is most bars keep it in a fridge instead.

If a bar keeps it in the freezer I'd drink it neat.
    Vodka also best that way
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    The Scottish government couldn't run a whelk store. The idea that they think they can run a railway is, well, alarming.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kamski said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Leon said:

gealbhan said:

Labour in Wales doing a sensible job on the pay rise, well done Mark Drakeford

Nonsense! It’s heavily taxed so they won’t get what everyone thinks they are getting, it’s a one off so poor substitute for pay rise. It should be rightly rejected as taking the p***
    Leon said:

RobD said:

The UK must have received the majority of its Pfizer order at this point, so less dependent on that one supplier.
    The EU is close to declaring war. An act of illegal and blatant hostility that will kill Britons, if it happens. How is that different from a military attack?
    This actually makes it more possible not impossible Boris shares with EU. Boris will share vaccine with EU country before Easter Monday. We are entering the practicalities of it now.
    No, that will now look like we are yielding to psychotic EU bullying. This makes it harder for the UK to be generous. Not easier

Can we hear from all the people yesterday who were saying ‘oh but this madness is nothing to do with the EU itself, it is the national EU governments’?

They are oddly quiet. Perhaps there is not a Remainer left in the country.

Quite where are Kamski and Scott_P and Roger when we could all do with a good laugh.....
    Just out of interest, as an EU resident, presumably waiting for a vaccine, when you hear her say this stuff do you think oh that's bonkers I hope that doesn't happen, or do you think well done UvdL get in?
    Yes, it might play well for a few days with some EU citizens. So I agree, there is method in the madness

But, it is still madness. It will unravel in multiple ways. eg if it happens it breaks global supply chains and everyone suffers, because there is no way the USA or UK can yield to unlawful, hostile threats. There are many other dire consequences should they do this (once you think it through).

So it probably won’t happen, and it is just bluster, and it just makes the EU look insane, incompetent and ridiculous. Again.
    Only in the UK. That's not the way it's seen in Holland for example.
    Do you have any examples of this last?
    OK I'm a German citizen and a British citizen in Germany.
    I think she is making empty threats, probably, and is making herself look stupid.

You might think it strange, that just when many European governments are showing that they are less competent than the EU is at vaccinating people, why would she remind everyone of how crap the EU has been?
    I suspect that it is maybe mainly for German consumption. The CDU just did quite badly in state elections, and might well lose power in the Autumn (they certainly deserve to), so shifting attention back onto the EU makes sense for a CDU politician.

But also, if as a thought experiment you tried to imagine the exact reverse situation: that the EU had put in the early investment, and managed to get contracts signed that made all the vaccine produced in the EU stay in the EU PLUS a chunk of the vaccine produced in the UK also got exported to the EU, and deaths were rising fast in the unvaccinated UK population, what would the UK tabloid headlines say about millions of doses being exported to the EU while promised UK deliveries were cut? How would people feel? My guess is there would be a lot more anger about it being unfair than I see here - which I haven't heard at all from the people around me. People are mainly frustrated with the German government (me too). Of course partly I guess this is because people can do the maths: 10 million doses is a lot for 60 million people, but isn't going to transform the vaccination rollout for 400 million. But it may be that the idea of stopping vaccines leaving the EU when they are needed here is quite a popular idea.
    I think the moment this happened the government would have paid AZ, Pfizer, Moderna and others literally whatever was necessary to get UK manufacturing up and running for end Q1 and early Q2 delivery. Ultimately these are all private companies and if the UK took the "let's be a purchaser rather than a partner" approach of the EU to our scheme then we'd have had to very quickly change it to "fuck we need to become a partner" very early on in January as Merck or whoever Oxford signed a deal with were prevented from exporting doses reserved by the US government.
    Maybe, but you didn't indulge me by the thought experiment of imagining the exact reverse of the current situation! Which might for might not help people imagine how some people on the continent might feel about stopping vaccine exports, which was kind of the point of the counterfactual.
    I did, as I said I think in that situation the government would simply pay its way out of the shit it got itself into, much like it did with PPE earlier in 2020. I think Rishi would have had another "whatever it takes" press conference with Boris and they would have proceeded to pay every single major vaccine producer to set up in the UK and deliver doses.

Ultimately these are private companies, and if the UK took a "purchaser" approach and endlessly haggled over the price while faster movers subsidised manufacturing and didn't quibble over a few dollars per dose the anger would be at the state for not properly procuring the vaccines in the first place. I'm sure there would be a few parochial UKIP types who would call for the government to block any exports, I'm also pretty sure those calls would be resisted and we'd instead spend the money on building up UK capacity.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

Le Pen could win comfortably in the end. France has no clear path out of the pandemic, and Macron doesn't have the stomach to do what needs to be done (basically, make vaccines compulsory). They're in for a year of total chaos, and then Le Pen capitalises on that by smashing Macron to bits in the run-off. They really have to hope they find two candidates who can beat her in Round 1.
    It's quite a scary thought that Le Pen has a very real chance of becoming the French president. I'm hoping that the French people will have a long hard think in the polling booth and hover over the Le Pen box rather than vote for her. It would be a real disaster for all of Europe for her to be in power.
    Well, bright side. Maybe she'll stuff up France so badly that everyone else will have second thoughts about the far right. Like how the Greens have turned Brighton into a third world country so no one else is tempted to vote for them. Or how Brexit killed off all the other anti-EU movements, and the Commission is now working overtime to resuscitate their designated common enemy.

But, yes. That would still not be good. Le Pen may be mightier than the sword, but she is... unpleasant.
    I think Le Pen (Jr) is a much less unpleasant than people think. She's a very different character to her father.
    Or her niece (?)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    MaxPB said:

kamski said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Leon said:

gealbhan said:

Nonsense! It’s heavily taxed so they won’t get what everyone thinks they are getting, it’s a one off so poor substitute for pay rise. It should be rightly rejected as taking the p***
    Leon said:

RobD said:

The UK must have received the majority of its Pfizer order at this point, so less dependent on that one supplier.
    The EU is close to declaring war. An act of illegal and blatant hostility that will kill Britons, if it happens. How is that different from a military attack?
    This actually makes it more possible not impossible Boris shares with EU. Boris will share vaccine with EU country before Easter Monday. We are entering the practicalities of it now.
    No, that will now look like we are yielding to psychotic EU bullying. This makes it harder for the UK to be generous. Not easier

Can we hear from all the people yesterday who were saying ‘oh but this madness is nothing to do with the EU itself, it is the national EU governments’?

Quite where are Kamski and Scott_P and Roger when we could all do with a good laugh.....
    Just out of interest, as an EU resident, presumably waiting for a vaccine, when you hear her say this stuff do you think oh that's bonkers I hope that doesn't happen, or do you think well done UvdL get in?
    Yes, it might play well for a few days with some EU citizens. So I agree, there is method in the madness

But, it is still madness. It will unravel in multiple ways. eg if it happens it breaks global supply chains and everyone suffers, because there is no way the USA or UK can yield to unlawful, hostile threats. There are many other dire consequences should they do this (once you think it through).

So it probably won’t happen, and it is just bluster, and it just makes the EU look insane, incompetent and ridiculous. Again.
    I think she is making empty threats, probably, and is making herself look stupid.

You might think it strange, that just when many European governments are showing that they are less competent than the EU is at vaccinating people, why would she remind everyone of how crap the EU has been?
    I suspect that it is maybe mainly for German consumption. The CDU just did quite badly in state elections, and might well lose power in the Autumn (they certainly deserve to), so shifting attention back onto the EU makes sense for a CDU politician.

But also, if as a thought experiment you tried to imagine the exact reverse situation: that the EU had put in the early investment, and managed to get contracts signed that made all the vaccine produced in the EU stay in the EU PLUS a chunk of the vaccine produced in the UK also got exported to the EU, and deaths were rising fast in the unvaccinated UK population, what would the UK tabloid headlines say about millions of doses being exported to the EU while promised UK deliveries were cut? How would people feel? My guess is there would be a lot more anger about it being unfair than I see here - which I haven't heard at all from the people around me. People are mainly frustrated with the German government (me too). Of course partly I guess this is because people can do the maths: 10 million doses is a lot for 60 million people, but isn't going to transform the vaccination rollout for 400 million. But it may be that the idea of stopping vaccines leaving the EU when they are needed here is quite a popular idea.
    I think the moment this happened the government would have paid AZ, Pfizer, Moderna and others literally whatever was necessary to get UK manufacturing up and running for end Q1 and early Q2 delivery. Ultimately these are all private companies and if the UK took the "let's be a purchaser rather than a partner" approach of the EU to our scheme then we'd have had to very quickly change it to "fuck we need to become a partner" very early on in January as Merck or whoever Oxford signed a deal with were prevented from exporting doses reserved by the US government.
    Maybe, but you didn't indulge me by the thought experiment of imagining the exact reverse of the current situation! Which might for might not help people imagine how some people on the continent might feel about stopping vaccine exports, which was kind of the point of the counterfactual.
    I did, as I said I think in that situation the government would simply pay its way out of the shit it got itself into, much like it did with PPE earlier in 2020. I think Rishi would have had another "whatever it takes" press conference with Boris and they would have proceeded to pay every single major vaccine producer to set up in the UK and deliver doses.

Ultimately these are private companies, and if the UK took a "purchaser" approach and endlessly haggled over the price while faster movers subsidised manufacturing and didn't quibble over a few dollars per dose the anger would be at the state for not properly procuring the vaccines in the first place. I'm sure there would be a few parochial UKIP types who would call for the government to block any exports, I'm also pretty sure those calls would be resisted and we'd instead spend the money on building up UK capacity.
    That’s the most mystifying thing about the whole sorry episode - why on Earth are the EU not engaging constructively with the suppliers, and asking what they can do to help get more manufacturing going?
  • Options
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Leon said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

That’s the most mystifying thing about the whole sorry episode - why on Earth are the EU not engaging constructively with the suppliers, and asking what they can do to help get more manufacturing going?
    Yup, the correct approach is "how big a cheque do you want and who should we make it out to?". It's a really odd decision to do anything else.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    gealbhan said:

The comments from UVDL today are unacceptable and why anyone can support her or the EU is beyond belief

I did vote remain and accepted leaving as a democratic vote, but I would not vote to be any part of this toxic organisation again

You concede they do have an argument on the IPR though? Team effort created it, so all the team have a say?
    It's entirely dependent on where the IP resides. For example, it is hard to argue that the genomic sequence of the spike protein and protein structure of the epitopes for SARS-CoV-2 could be protected as IP, as these are easily discoverable with modern technology. And the 'design' of any viral vector, mRNA or protein vaccine will home in on this easily discoverable information.

What is IP is how you present and stabilize the mRNA or the protein sub-unit in your vaccine, to ensure it has a shelf-life and to amplify the immune response to the antigen in question.

With regard to Novavax and Moderna, their IP is firmly linked to these technologies, which is not COVID-specific and presumably has not been funded by governments in response to COVID (although I think Novavax has received a lot of funding through BARDA over the years since Amerithrax).

So, in short, I think you are wrong.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

To be fair, UdvL's comments weren't quite as bad as they have been reported:

https://twitter.com/nickgutteridge/status/1372172129861525512

So it was a clumsy reply to a loaded question, rather than a pre-meditated statement she intended to make. That's not much of an excuse, mind; as a top-level politician, she should of course have seen how her answer would be reported.

She’s not really top level though

More of a third tier mediocrity that Merkel promoted away from a position in the German Cabinet
    With a few exceptions, isn't that one of the major problems of the EU? The Commissions is made up of Has Beens and Never Will Bes. (Yes, yes, yes, I know there are exceptions.)
    Yeah
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Leon said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Yup, the correct approach is "how big a cheque do you want and who should we make it out to?". It's a really odd decision to do anything else.
    I think the issue is that they wasted 3 months and then tried to justify the delay by announcing the money they saved.

Which means they cannot now go and ask how big a cheque do you want as that would mean the dismal delivery so far could be blamed on their previous approach.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

They have no argument at all - none - zilch
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Pagan2 said:

So it was a clumsy reply to a loaded question, rather than a pre-meditated statement she intended to make. That's not much of an excuse, mind; as a top-level politician, she should of course have seen how her answer would be reported.

Hmmm call me a bit cynical here but anyone else a little suspicious she had all the details of article 122 to hand when it hasn't been used for 50 years? It does sort of suggest some reading up on it has occurred.
    I've been going round Twitter, and - stupefyingly - it really does look like the EU might, possibly, do this

An Irish businesssman with a blue tick

https://twitter.com/KarlBrophy/status/1372200879726718979?s=20
    https://twitter.com/KarlBrophy/status/1372200881194741762?s=20

EU correspondent for The Times

https://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/1370297195715567619?s=20
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

She’s not really top level though

More of a third tier mediocrity that Merkel promoted away from a position in the German Cabinet
    With a few exceptions, isn't that one of the major problems of the EU? The Commissions is made up of Has Beens and Never Will Bes. (Yes, yes, yes, I know there are exceptions.)
    Yeah
    Will be interesting to see if any national voting blocs start to get behind the idea of a vote of censure to sack the commission.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,362
    If they block Pfizer we'll simply switch wholesale to Oxford/AZ or other vaccines.

They don't have any levers.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Deliberate pun?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Hmmm call me a bit cynical here but anyone else a little suspicious she had all the details of article 122 to hand when it hasn't been used for 50 years? It does sort of suggest some reading up on it has occurred.
    I've been going round Twitter, and - stupefyingly - it really does look like the EU might, possibly, do this

ttps://twitter.com/KarlBrophy/status/1372200879726718979?s=20
    ttps://twitter.com/KarlBrophy/status/1372200881194741762?s=20

ttps://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/1370297195715567619?s=20
    There’s still this misapprehension that the UK *government* is blocking vaccine exports, even after the EU themselves have conceded there’s no such ban in place.
  • Options

If they block Pfizer we'll simply switch wholesale to Oxford/AZ or other vaccines.

Hasn't the bulk of the UK's Pfizer order been delivered already? How much more are we expecting?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

I still don't see it as realistic for the EU to impose an export ban on the UK. Firstly it would need to be Belgium and that, as my colleague has pointed out to me, is very unlikely given the nature of Belgium's pharma industry, secondly the Pfizer production in the EU is critically dependent on the UK supply chain and I'm 100% certain that if the Belgians blocked exports to the UK the UK would in turn block exports to Belgium of those critical materials (the lipid layer which stabilises the mRNA) resulting in a manufacturing halt until a suitable replacement supplier could be found or Pfizer decamped to the UK or Switzerland to ensure contracts could continue to be filled without any unnecessary drama.
  • Options

Deliberate pun?
    It was either that or 'Shots fired!'
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

In about 3 months the UK is going to be awash with surplus but paid for vaccines. I was all for these being made available to the EU in our own self interest given the quantity of travel and trade we have with them. I have changed my mind. I suspect that I am not alone.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Hasn't the bulk of the UK's Pfizer order been delivered already? How much more are we expecting?
    No, we're probably at just under half of the 40m order delivered. I'd imagine Pfizer would supply us from the US supply chain after Boris had a word with Joe and we redirect our lipid-layer exports to the US supply chain so they could ramp up manufacturing and avoid any slowdown in deliveries to the US.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    So the EC have definitely gone the past of "where are your papers, we are just checking to make sure all of them are in order" BS.
  • Options

But what about Brits who've had one Pfizer jab but won't get the 2nd, if the EU blocks exports? Don't know if that's a possibility, but it would be a real mess, if so.

Incredibly, there are still some FBPE types, admittedly the ultras, who are actually cheering on the EU, to punish Britain for "being selfish", ie looking after our citizens with good contracts with pharmaceutical companies

The word "traitor" was possibly bandied around too often during the Brexitref, but in this case, it applies. If you want the EU to stop "exporting" vaccines to us - vaccines we have lawfully purchased - you are hoping that Britons will get sick and die, in large numbers. That is treasonous.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Leon said:

But what about Brits who've had one Pfizer jab but won't get the 2nd, if the EU blocks exports? Don't know if that's a possibility, but it would be a real mess, if so.

Incredibly, there are still some FBPE types, admittedly the ultras, who are actually cheering on the EU, to punish Britain for "being selfish", ie looking after our citizens with good contracts with pharmaceutical companies

The word "traitor" was possibly bandied around too often during the Brexitref, but in this case, it applies. If you want the EU to stop "exporting" vaccines to us - vaccines we have lawfully purchased - you are hoping that Britons will get sick and die, in large numbers. That is treasonous.
    I suspect mixing vaccine types will result in increased efficacy rather than reduced.
  • Options
    We should announce that we are to export a briefcase full of vaccines to somewhere like the Maldives, if only to make the EU rewrite their ban criteria out again.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TimT said:

No, we're probably at just under half of the 40m order delivered. I'd imagine Pfizer would supply us from the US supply chain after Boris had a word with Joe and we redirect our lipid-layer exports to the US supply chain so they could ramp up manufacturing and avoid any slowdown in deliveries to the US.
    I would like that too, but they haven't helped the Canadians out yet, hence why Canada is supplied with Pfizer via the EU.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

I still don't see it as realistic for the EU to impose an export ban on the UK. Firstly it would need to be Belgium and that, as my colleague has pointed out to me, is very unlikely given the nature of Belgium's pharma industry, secondly the Pfizer production in the EU is critically dependent on the UK supply chain and I'm 100% certain that if the Belgians blocked exports to the UK the UK would in turn block exports to Belgium of those critical materials (the lipid layer which stabilises the mRNA) resulting in a manufacturing halt until a suitable replacement supplier could be found or Pfizer decamped to the UK or Switzerland to ensure contracts could continue to be filled without any unnecessary drama.
    And that is also to ignore that the technology for producing the lipids is one of the rate limiting capacities globally. It is not as though Belgium could easily find another producer to replace imports from the UK (and, in any case, they are probably all already working at capacity to fulfill contracts elsewhere).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Scottish government couldn't run a whelk store. The idea that they think they can run a railway is, well, alarming.
    Only certified members of the SNP get to use the trains?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    MaxPB said:

kamski said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Leon said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

That might all be true, but I think we are at cross-purposes. I was attempting to answer the question asked - about how people in the EU might feel about threats to block vaccine exports.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    kamski said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Leon said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Thanks and yes good point(s).
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Leon said:

I'm happy to have AZ as my second dose. Bring it on.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I suspect mixing vaccine types will result in increased efficacy rather than reduced.
    Your suspicion may be right, however a lot of ordinary Brits will be fearfully alarmed that they are getting the "wrong" second dose. Many might refuse. Chaos.
  • Options
    Cases down week on week, just, but seems like a record share of LFD again, and the share of them getting confirmed continues to dwindle...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

TimT said:

I would like that too, but they haven't helped the Canadians out yet, hence why Canada is supplied with Pfizer via the EU.
    It would have to be a quid pro quo deal so no net negative impact on US supply.
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Only Party members, with a social credit score above 85.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

We should announce that we are to export a briefcase full of vaccines to somewhere like the Maldives, if only to make the EU rewrite their ban criteria out again.

But we have exported to Gibraltar and the Dependent Territories.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Is Pfizer still dependent on the UK supply chain? I've seen some apparently well-informed people suggesting that they are now able to produce the lipids in Germany. Could that be why they are now being more aggressive?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Is Pfizer still dependent on the UK supply chain? I've seen some apparently well-informed people suggesting that they are now able to produce the lipids in Germany. Could that be why they are now being more aggressive?
    I read the same
  • Options
    kamski said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Leon said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

That might all be true, but I think we are at cross-purposes. I was attempting to answer the question asked - about how people in the EU might feel about threats to block vaccine exports.
    The only country that is threatening to block vaccine exports is the EU.

The AZ agreement signed with the EU does not include the US as a source of the vaccine and that is seemingly what they are asking for.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Your suspicion may be right, however a lot of ordinary Brits will be fearfully alarmed that they are getting the "wrong" second dose. Many might refuse. Chaos.
    Brits have so far proved to be pretty resilient (unlike the French) to vaccine misinformation nonsense.

Worth noting in the US, that they've approved mixing vaccines and it doesn't seem to have led to anybody panicing.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,572
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

ttps://twitter.com/KarlBrophy/status/1372200879726718979?s=20
    ttps://twitter.com/KarlBrophy/status/1372200881194741762?s=20

ttps://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/1370297195715567619?s=20
    There’s still this misapprehension that the UK *government* is blocking vaccine exports, even after the EU themselves have conceded there’s no such ban in place.
    That's a deliberate lie, to shore up a dishonest position.

• Options
    TimT said:

Sandpit said:

But we have exported to Gibraltar and the Dependent Territories.
    Indeed, but the EU won’t want to count those as exports.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,691
    Cases still (just) trending down (despite tests still being through the roof):

• Options
    Do what we say or we'll hit you.

That's "partnership"?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    rcs1000 said:

In fact, they have worse than no levers, as the production of vaccines in the EU is dependent on inputs from the UK.

We could cut EU vaccine manufacturing to zero, while still having enough vaccines for ourselves.

So, as seems to be the case throughout this debacle, the EU is fucking up its relations with neighbouring states for no benefit.
    Just utterly baffling behaviour from a saving lives perspective. A decent few Irish friends of mine are buying the line though, so they may be judging that the political gains (or limiting of losses) are worth the lives they're being bought with.
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

More likely they will be issued with a Freedom pass.

The going rate for a bit of SNP intervention in our economy is about £30m of taxpayers money (see Ferguson, Prestwick, Bifab) down the drain but we will be lucky if that keeps a railway going for more than a couple of months.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,362
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

You stop all 1st jabs, and resource the 2nds from an alternative supplier base where you don't have sufficient already in stock.

I don't know how many does we have in stock nor how many Pfizer ones are outstanding for 2nd doses but it's not enough of a big deal to make us do anything different.

Edit: I see we could possibly mix the seconds like the USA do too.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

TimT said:

I think that's because the US manufacturing is rate limited by the amount of the lipid-layer that Pfizer has been able to source, they said months ago that the US government would need to help it secure more to increase the manufacturing capacity. I'm almost certain that if Boris had a short conversation with Joe and offered to eliminate that bottleneck in manufacturing capacity the US would allow Pfizer to supply us with our remaining doses. Does fuck up the RoW supply a lot though as I don't think that would extend to many other countries, maybe only Israel and Canada.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Do you get credit for forgetting meetings and mislaying documents?
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Endillion said:

Le Pen could win comfortably in the end. France has no clear path out of the pandemic, and Macron doesn't have the stomach to do what needs to be done (basically, make vaccines compulsory). They're in for a year of total chaos, and then Le Pen capitalises on that by smashing Macron to bits in the run-off. They really have to hope they find two candidates who can beat her in Round 1.
    It's quite a scary thought that Le Pen has a very real chance of becoming the French president. I'm hoping that the French people will have a long hard think in the polling booth and hover over the Le Pen box rather than vote for her. It would be a real disaster for all of Europe for her to be in power.
    Well, bright side. Maybe she'll stuff up France so badly that everyone else will have second thoughts about the far right. Like how the Greens have turned Brighton into a third world country so no one else is tempted to vote for them. Or how Brexit killed off all the other anti-EU movements, and the Commission is now working overtime to resuscitate their designated common enemy.

But, yes. That would still not be good. Le Pen may be mightier than the sword, but she is... unpleasant.
    I think Le Pen (Jr) is a much less unpleasant than people think. She's a very different character to her father.
    Or her niece (?)
    Indeed.

I think the FN is a lot more "mainstream" than Salvini/Northern League in Italy. Indeed, I struggle to see them as very different from Forza Italia.

(Hence why a splattering of parties to the right of the FN have now emerged as Le Pen has abandoned large chunks of the traditional FN platform.)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,691
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Discounts for sex pests?
  • Options
    Hang on a minute, are the UK-produced AZ vaccines even licenced for use in the EU?

Wasn’t it just the one Belgian factory’s output?

Can they be licenced at all, if AZ themselves don’t want to co-operate?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Do you get credit for forgetting meetings and mislaying documents?
    It's the logical conclusion of their commitment to a paperless office. You don't take notes of the advice you get from senior counsel.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

It would cut the rate at which they could produce by an absolutely gigantic number, Pfizer would simply be unable to procure a replacement supplier without having a 75-80% slowdown in manufacturing. It's genuinely a negative sum game and I just don't see Belgium going for it as it's their pharma industry the EU is pushing towards Switzerland and the UK.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Brits have so far proved to be pretty resilient (unlike the French) to vaccine misinformation nonsense.

Worth noting in the US, that they've approved mixing vaccines and it doesn't seem to have led to anybody panicing.
    I can see how you could mix two adenovirus vaccines like AZ and Sputnik (not least cause the latter might just be a stolen version of the former)

And I can see how could mix two mRNA vaccines. But one of each? That surprises me. But I am not a virologist
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,251
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

In about 3 months the UK is going to be awash with surplus but paid for vaccines. I was all for these being made available to the EU in our own self interest given the quantity of travel and trade we have with them. I have changed my mind. I suspect that I am not alone.
    The Continental System is back.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,721
    edited March 2021
    eek said:

kamski said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Leon said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

The only country that is threatening to block vaccine exports is the EU.

The AZ agreement signed with the EU does not include the US as a source of the vaccine and that is seemingly what they are asking for.
    I guess it's bad taste to re-post one's own posts - but here's one of mine from right back in April:

"Even if a vaccine is found, it will likely not be anywhere near 100% effective. Also, administering it to the global population would be problematic to say the least. From the availability and sheer quantity of the "stuff" that makes the vaccine, to questions about who delivers it, which nations get it first, and which groups of people within each nation gets it first.

Geopolitically, the Chinese, Russians and Americans (at least) will try to buy up availability en masse. Cold or even hot wars could be fought over this."
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Scottish government won't be running a railway.

1 Successive private operators have screwed it up - National Express then First Group. And now Abellio where the Dutch taxpayer is no longer willing to subsidise Scottish trains
    2 The Abellio franchise was announced in 2019 as terminating 3 years early in 2022 - this is the point where the franchisee cannot meet the additional "cap and collar" payments required
    3 Like most of the rest of the former rail franchises during Covid it cannot continue with minimal fares, so it is ending now and being replaced by an Abellio-run management concession until 2022
    4 Like most of the rest of the former rail franchises it will then be "nationalised". Which means it will be run by the Operator of Last Resort - a Limited company that in Scotland will be wholly owned by Transport Scotland as opposed to the English version which is wholly owned by the DfT
    5 As with the English version this "nationalised" operator is a private sector consortium of Arup, Ernst & Young and SNC Lavalin Rail
    6 As with other OLR operations the existing management largely stick around, just with new bosses.
  • Options
    UvdL would be wise to note the old adage: you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

(Yes @Philip_Thompson you can post the xkcd link if you like)
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Events in the last 5 days aren't looking coincidental anymore. What Paris & Berlin, supported by some of their own in Brussels are thinking is anyone's guess but they've trashed the vaccine that they seem desperately to want.

It's like loudly declaring to someone you aren't interested in them in the hope they try really hard to make you interested. Are they really that jealous?

There are specific AZN subcontractor production lines in continental Europe with a focus on supply for the EU. Its not the UKs fault that they cant sort their shit out.

• Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I can see how you could mix two adenovirus vaccines like AZ and Sputnik (not least cause the latter might just be a stolen version of the former)

And I can see how could mix two mRNA vaccines. But one of each? That surprises me. But I am not a virologist
    It will be fine. It's just about priming the immune system. And the more ways you show it something that looks like the spike protein, the better.

• Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The initial testing in mice showed that the immune response from the mixed dose (AZ/Pfizer or the other way around) with a 4 week gap resulted in better modelled efficacy than two doses of Pfizer with a 4 week gap. UCL is running a human trial on it and participants are currently receiving their second doses, we should have the initial results from that in just a couple of weeks as it's single blind and the efficacy is going to be modelled from antibody and t-cell data.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

UvdL would be wise to note the old adage: you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

(Yes @Philip_Thompson you can post the xkcd link if you like)

But I'd like to point out you attract even more flies with manure.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Do what we say or we'll hit you.

That's "partnership"?
    Has Dave "Keating" worked out what the second proposal actually entails?

It is the EU stopping exports of vaccines to us, unless the UK deliberately slows down it's vaccine roll out, by redirecting supplies of AZ, meant for the UK, to the EU: thus depleting the UK stock. These supplies were paid for by British taxpayers, developed by a part British company, and lawfully contracted in a clever way by the British government.

It means the UK inflicting unnecessary death and disease on Britons, to please the EU, and help them hide their mistakes

No UK government could ever do this, and survive, they'd get lynched (maybe literally). So if Dave is right, the EU is about to ask for something it must know is impossible. It is a threat with no purpose, tho I suppose when the UK refuses they might feel better about stopping Pfizer deliveries to us
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

They all do one thing - present antigen (a segment of the spike protein that binds to the human cell) to provoke an adaptive immune response in the body. It is just how they do that that differs:
    1. viral vector vaccines insert DNA into the human cell to create the mRNA that instructs the cell to produce the protein
    2. mRNA vaccines cut out one step and supply the cell with the mRNA to instruct protein production
    3. protein vaccines cut out another step, by directly supplying the protein.

So yes, in theory, all three should be compatible and even complementary, with the understanding the biological systems are complex and can always surprise.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Last time round, countries that broke it got invaded.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814

We'd need 7417 cases tomorrow for the cases trend to turn positive. A lot of those first pass school LFTs are dropping into the last week figures.

Maybe, just maybe, we will manage to avoid cases turning positive on the dashboard.
  • Options

Does anyone else think our testing is getting just a little out of hand? That's getting up to 1 in 6 of the entire adult population in 7 days.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Last time round, countries that broke it got invaded.
    Don't give them ideas.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Given the pissy behaviour on the EU side, this time it's more like the Incontinental System...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Here are reports from Scott n Paste's EU nirvana country Belgium....just getting on with the job, unlike Germany or France, or so he claimed...

Belgium’s slow rollout ‘absurd’ with so many vaccines made in the country
    https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/25/belgium-s-slow-rollout-absurd-with-so-many-vaccines-made-in-the-country

To be fair to Scott, you are strawmanning.
    He merely pointed out that they have taken an independent line on the continued use of the AZN vaccine.

I don't think that even in his most enthusiastic moments that he called Belgium nirvana.
    Chocolate......Mmmmm

I could make a case.
    Belgian chocolate is not great.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56432919

Same for the rest of the UK please. Privatisation has been a disaster.
  • Options
    That Hartlepool CLP letter is brilliant. Firstly, congratulations on having a non-batshit Secretary. The previous one made Pidcock look sane. Secondly, congratulations on putting shenanigans on a fucking email for the world to see. Of COURSE it will get leaked you moron - all such "please rig the selection so we get Paul" discussions need to be voice only. They were back in 2017...
  • Options
    The commissioner for the single market:
    https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1372222512361246724
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,721
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Here are reports from Scott n Paste's EU nirvana country Belgium....just getting on with the job, unlike Germany or France, or so he claimed...

https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/25/belgium-s-slow-rollout-absurd-with-so-many-vaccines-made-in-the-country

He merely pointed out that they have taken an independent line on the continued use of the AZN vaccine.

I don't think that even in his most enthusiastic moments that he called Belgium nirvana.
    Chocolate......Mmmmm

I could make a case.
    ??
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Does anyone else think our testing is getting just a little out of hand? That's getting up to 1 in 6 of the entire adult population in 7 days.
    It's not adults it's secondary school children being tested twice a week.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The Scottish government won't be running a railway.

1 Successive private operators have screwed it up - National Express then First Group. And now Abellio where the Dutch taxpayer is no longer willing to subsidise Scottish trains
    2 The Abellio franchise was announced in 2019 as terminating 3 years early in 2022 - this is the point where the franchisee cannot meet the additional "cap and collar" payments required
    3 Like most of the rest of the former rail franchises during Covid it cannot continue with minimal fares, so it is ending now and being replaced by an Abellio-run management concession until 2022
    4 Like most of the rest of the former rail franchises it will then be "nationalised". Which means it will be run by the Operator of Last Resort - a Limited company that in Scotland will be wholly owned by Transport Scotland as opposed to the English version which is wholly owned by the DfT
    5 As with the English version this "nationalised" operator is a private sector consortium of Arup, Ernst & Young and SNC Lavalin Rail
    6 As with other OLR operations the existing management largely stick around, just with new bosses.
    And the taxpayer underwrites the inevitable losses. Joy.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Chocolate......Mmmmm

I could make a case.
    My wife begs to differ!
  • Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56432919

Same for the rest of the UK please. Privatisation has been a disaster.

This IS privatisation. The privatised operator is currently Abelio - a wholly state-owned company. Once nationalised the operator will be Arup/Ernst & Young/SNC-Lavalin who are wholly privately owned.

Terms like "nationalised" and "privatised" haven't meant anything with rail operations for years. Most of the private operators are nationalised rail companies.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

They all do one thing - present antigen (a segment of the spike protein that binds to the human cell) to provoke an adaptive immune response in the body. It is just how they do that that differs:
    1. viral vector vaccines insert DNA into the human cell to create the mRNA that instructs the cell to produce the protein
    2. mRNA vaccines cut out one step and supply the cell with the mRNA to instruct protein production
    3. protein vaccines cut out another step, by directly supplying the protein.

So yes, in theory, all three should be compatible and even complementary, with the understanding the biological systems are complex and can always surprise.
    Thanks, always good to learn stuff

Vaccines really are amazing
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It's farsically disproportionate at this point. People keep making the err case that if it's finding any cases it's worth it, but we're now running millions of tests which miss the majority of cases, spreading false confidence, whilst simultaneously generating thousands of false positives with very real costs to whole households locked up for 10 days.

It's just a shame deaths reporting is so lagged that it's going to take quite a while for many people to accept this is over and they can stop making utterly insane cost benefit decisions on the grounds of emergency.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

More likely they will be issued with a Freedom pass.

The going rate for a bit of SNP intervention in our economy is about £30m of taxpayers money (see Ferguson, Prestwick, Bifab) down the drain but we will be lucky if that keeps a railway going for more than a couple of months.
    £30m?

£600m for the Fort William smelter.

"Critically the SNP failed to extract any guarantees from Mr. Gupta that he would actually build the factory. Instead Gupta used the Scottish Government guarantee to sell hundreds of millions of pounds of bonds, via the now bankrupt finance firm Greensill, to Swiss fund manager GAM. Were Gupta’s firm to default and the Scottish Government guarantee to be called in, the losses would come out of the UK government-funded Scottish capital budget – used primarily to build hospitals and schools."

https://www.thinkscotland.org/thinkbusiness/articles.html?read_full=14498
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Neil Oliver:

"King Kong could walk arm in arm with Godzilla, followed by the Avengers, pursued by Thanos, with the heavenly host in attendance and playing the Battle Hymn of the Republic and Nicola Sturgeon would neither see nor hear it or be able to recall it the following day."

Not quite true: she would brazenly lie that she had neither seen nor heard nor could recall it.

Sturgeon has become the most dishonest politician in the UK. Quite an award that, Nicola...
  • Options
    Labour's substitute PCC candidate on Teesside:
    https://twitter.com/jonathanbrash?lang=en
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The more ways you look at this, the dumber the EU's response becomes.

(1) They have no real hold over the UK, as the UK has ample orders of vaccines. Even if they did cut off Pfizer, the UK has Moderna and Novavax and J&J coming in the next couple of months, combined with ever greater production of AZ.

(2) Every threat of an export ban, makes it less likely that pharmaceutical companies will want to invest in the EU. And right now, you want pharmaceutical companies to be building vaccine production capacity.

(3) They're pissing off a whole bunch of allies.

(4) And they're not even ending up with any more vaccines (and quite possibly less) than they would have had before.

It's time for the EU Parliament to step up and depose UvdL.

Also, THIS:

https://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/1372172415007133697?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

(1) They have no real hold over the UK, as the UK has ample orders of vaccines. Even if they did cut off Pfizer, the UK has Moderna and Novavax and J&J coming in the next couple of months, combined with ever greater production of AZ.

(2) Every threat of an export ban, makes it less likely that pharmaceutical companies will want to invest in the EU. And right now, you want pharmaceutical companies to be building vaccine production capacity.

(4) And they're not even ending up with any more vaccines (and quite possibly less) than they would have had before.

The problem goes deeper than UvdL. Lots of CDU politicians in Germany are egging her on to be even 'tougher'.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Also, THIS:

https://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/1372172415007133697?s=20
    Exactly. Bonkers. They want more of something they wont use because they have persuaded themselves it is dangerous.
This discussion has been closed.