Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

COVID vaccination – the extraordinary political divide in the US – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    edited March 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

Help, please, pb brains trust,

What is the best book on politics to buy for my 15 year old niece, whose birthday is later this month ?

(She dislikes Thatcher & Boris).

For a modern and very readable introduction type book I really enjoyed Isabel Hardman's one 'Why we get the wrong politicians'. I also really liked reading Paddy Ashdown's autobiography, but almost certainly not enough politics in it.
    Dennis Healey's autobiography was also fun - and contained a cameo appearance by a very young Paddy Ashdown.

Other choices: Rab Butler's The Art of the Possible

And if she doesn't mind going back in history, the Roy Jenkins history books are all fun, particulary Mr Balfour's Poodle.
    I always liked The Door Wherein I Went (mainly for the grammatically correct use of the word “wherein”)
    I haven't read it. Should I?
    It’s not the easiest book and a bit dated but philosophically among the most interesting works by a leading politician. As he was my mentor though, I am somewhat biased!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004H6PHW4/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_show_all_top?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Nigel Lawson's memoirs were hands down the best political memoirs I've ever read. Tell her he was one of the people that helped bring the Iron Lady down.

Also they are mostly an easy read as you'd expect from a former journalist.
    Completely agree, anyone with an interest in finance or government needs to read them.
    Yes, though the last quarter or so of the book is permeated with his attempts to defend the ERM and deny it was a stepping stone to a single currency. Events haven't been kind to his record there, to put it mildly...
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited March 2021
    Charles said:

TimT said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Under 6,000 cases from 900,000 tests:

992k tests?!
    Pillar 2, which is the government Lighthouse Labs and other private labs, is doing a huge part of all the testing now. It's nuts just how huge that capacity has grown, as almost all of it is new.

Hancock today was talking about sequencing scaling up even further from where it is now, so that we can ideally test every positive result. We already do far more sequencing than anybody else, and we intend to do even more.

When this is all over the UK is going to have a ridiculously huge testing and genetic sequencing capability. I wonder what we will do with it, tear it down, mothball it, or is there are "peacetime" use?
    Sequencing is the next big value thing - genomic, proteinomic, transcriptomic and metabolomic data is what will enable us to design and produce high value biologics using synthetic biology. Currently, China (and BGI in particular) dominate in this field. It is great that the UK might come out with at least a chance of cashing in on high value biological data.
    BGI is a bit at the commodity end though. Really sexy companies are those like Quest’s Blueprint Genetics or the UK’s Congenica.
    Yeah, I hooked my step-daughter up with a summer internship at GWU's computational biology centre. There she learnt that all sequences done in China are suspect until confirmed by other sources.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

What is the best book on politics to buy for my 15 year old niece, whose birthday is later this month ?

For a modern and very readable introduction type book I really enjoyed Isabel Hardman's one 'Why we get the wrong politicians'. I also really liked reading Paddy Ashdown's autobiography, but almost certainly not enough politics in it.
    Dennis Healey's autobiography was also fun - and contained a cameo appearance by a very young Paddy Ashdown.

And if she doesn't mind going back in history, the Roy Jenkins history books are all fun, particulary Mr Balfour's Poodle.
    I always liked The Door Wherein I Went (mainly for the grammatically correct use of the word “wherein”)
    It’s not the easiest book and a bit dated but philosophically among the most interesting works by a leading politician. As he was my mentor though, I am somewhat biased!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004H6PHW4/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_show_all_top?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Nigel Lawson's memoirs were hands down the best political memoirs I've ever read. Tell her he was one of the people that helped bring the Iron Lady down.

Completely agree, anyone with an interest in finance or government needs to read them.
    But not climate change science one assumes?
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    edited March 2021

Private Island by James Meeks. Excellent look at who owns what when it comes to our former nationalised assets in the UK, and how it came to be that way, and what the hell we can do about it.

I suppose it's more policy than politics, but it's well-written and capable of lighting a burning fire.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

The government really has to get tough on the fatties from now on. This plague has shown us that obesity and severe overweightness are not a joke. Not a ‘different size of beautiful’. An ugly fat blobster of a human looks ugly for a reason. They are ugly inside. And coz they can’t stop eating f*cking chocolate eclairs and pizza they have cost this country 400 BILLION and decimated the economy. Literally

Enough. And enough talk of incentives to go on a bloody diet. PUNISH them for being fat. Exclude them from pubs and restaurants. Exclude them from public transport so they HAVE to use their horrible fat pimply legs. UGH

I’m entirely serious. We tolerated these lard-arses too long. Now they have ruined the nation’s bank balance and we all have to pay for their swinish greed.

Payback.

Alcohol rather than pubs alone is a part of the problem but restaurants aren't much of a contributing factor to most peoples obesity and making the few overweight people who use public transport walk will probably do almost nothing.

Everyone needs to do a bit of exercise regardless of weight but the problem with peoples weight is largely the crappy food people eat or the crap they drink (alcohol included)

You can change peoples habits and the ones of companies that produce anything by adjusting prices. Healthier food is cheaper, subsidised by increased prices on unhealthy food. Same with greater taxation on alcohol but less on any healthy drinks.

Make it much cheaper to eats lots of fresh single ingredient foods (still time consuming though) than some processed junk. Been on a healthy eating kick for a while and the amount some vegetables, rice and chicken/turkey/fish fills you up for the calories is amazing if you want to lose weight. I actually find it to be too filling for its calorie output to the point where I have to eat/drink something less healthy to get as many calories as I need/want.

If people are eating decently a minimal amount of exercise will keep most people with relative normality, losing lots of weight though is probably a bit more effort.

Edit: Teach people (at least kids in school) some basic ideas about nutrition!!

Plenty of people are clueless and don't even know the harm they are doing!!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited March 2021

Cookie said:

And honestly, how does a 15 year old 'hate Thatcher'?

At a guess, her mother has spent 15 years telling her that Thatcher was evil.

There is a powerful folk memory in the Valleys that is passed down from generation to generation. We are brought up on the stories of the Miner's Strike and Aberfan and the Tonypandy Massacre and the Shootings of the Llanelli Railway strikers.

(Tony Judt is a good idea).
    As a tangent, more people should know about Aberfan. Not necessarily as a party political point, but as a lesson in the dangers of incompetence. I think it's easy to forget how serious the consequences to workplace errors can be, and the occasional reminder that our actions really matter to even life or death extent is a good one. It's easy to think only firefighters or soldiers are playing such a dangerous game, but lots of deadly disasters stem from people in more tame environments becoming lax. The Herald of Free Enterprise sinking, Grenfell Tower, and many more.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

But not climate change science one assumes?
    The View From Number Eleven was written before he went mad.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    So how many people have we got who can’t actually have a jab, people with weak immune system, advanced MS perhaps, HIV? What’s the plan for freeing them from captivity?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    gealbhan said:

So how many people have we got who can’t actually have a jab, people with weak immune system, advanced MS perhaps, HIV? What’s the plan for freeing them from captivity?

The same as with all other vaccines - that plan is for everyone else to have had it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Ross Clark:

"Should we have a fat tax – or even make it an offence to be fat? Such a suggestion will, of course, rightfully raise hackles among people of liberal mind. Given the suppression of liberties of all kinds over the past year, such possibilities are a lot closer than they would have seemed prior to Covid. Just as lockdown policies were heavily influenced by the Chinese response to the original outbreak in Wuhan, it is inevitable that policymakers will start to look to Japan which, since 2008, has imposed legally-binding waistline checks. All adults are obliged to have their waistline measured regularly and can be compelled to attend counselling sessions if they stray over set limits. Since the law was introduced, Japan has brought its obesity rate down to 3.5 per cent and has seen markedly lower rates of Covid deaths than in Europe and North America, in spite of less-severe lockdowns and without the tight test and trace systems of Taiwan and South Korea.

Public resistance to such a law could be severe in Britain – given that 28 per cent of the population is officially obese it could mean some very overcrowded counselling sessions. But after suffering one of the highest rates of Covid deaths in the world it is perhaps inevitable that such a policy is going to be advanced by some policymaker at some stage."

[£]

www.spectator.co.uk/article/covid-19-and-the-problem-with-britain-s-weight
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Leon said:

The government really has to get tough on the fatties from now on. This plague has shown us that obesity and severe overweightness are not a joke. Not a ‘different size of beautiful’. An ugly fat blobster of a human looks ugly for a reason. They are ugly inside. And coz they can’t stop eating f*cking chocolate eclairs and pizza they have cost this country 400 BILLION and decimated the economy. Literally

Enough. And enough talk of incentives to go on a bloody diet. PUNISH them for being fat. Exclude them from pubs and restaurants. Exclude them from public transport so they HAVE to use their horrible fat pimply legs. UGH

I’m entirely serious. We tolerated these lard-arses too long. Now they have ruined the nation’s bank balance and we all have to pay for their swinish greed.

Payback.

I'm afraid it's not going to be at all easy to discriminate against them politically - their demographic carries great weight...
    Are you suggesting that they have more gravitas?
    You need the stones to take them on.
    You need to pound that message home
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Just embarrassing in the cricket....
  • Options
    Clever thinking...

Singapore built the world's first bubble facility so people can travel for business without having to quarantine — and it's in an expo center. We got a sneak peak of the rooms, facilities, and food.

https://www.businessinsider.com/singapore-business-travel-bubble-photos-food-facilities-rooms-2021-3
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,110
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Payback.

Where would you put the dividing line ?
    BMI > 30, 40 inch waistline ?
    Surely the deciding factor is whether the pizza in question has pineapple on it?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Pulpstar said:

Watching the Newsnight show on a bit of a delay, bit frustrating to see 76.3% over 65 uptake in Central Blackburn MSOA given how Pendle in the NW has fared.

I think we need to be very wary about these localised figures. It looks to me as if they are being worked out simply by dividing the vaccinations given in an area by the number of people supposedly living there, without any adjustment for people who have moved or gone or got vaccinated elsewhere instead.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

Yes, though the last quarter or so of the book is permeated with his attempts to defend the ERM and deny it was a stepping stone to a single currency. Events haven't been kind to his record there, to put it mildly...
    It amuses me considering he was such an advocate for the ERM that he then went on to become a strong Brexit campaigner.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

I am fully in favour of an obesity tax and eagerly anticipate the rebates I shall be receiving for being underweight.
  • Options
    (CNN Business) London has been the unrivaled king of European finance for more than three decades. Brexit is starting to change that.

Billions of dollars worth of stock and derivatives trading has already vanished from the British capital after the United Kingdom completed its exit from the European Union on Jan. 1, shifting abroad to financial hubs in Amsterdam, Paris and Frankfurt.

And the threat of more lost business hangs above the city, home to dozens of the world's biggest banks, hedge funds and insurance companies. Financial services were not included in the UK-EU trade deal agreed by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Dec. 24, putting Brussels in a position to decide how much access UK-based companies will have to the vast EU market.

"I'm not predicting the end of London as a major financial center, but I think it's in the most precarious state it's been in for a long time and cannot be complacent," said Alasdair Haynes, the CEO of Aquis Exchange, an upstart rival to the London Stock Exchange and the CBOE.

The loss of finance business in London looks more dramatic when compared with 2016, the year Britain voted to leave the European Union. International financial services firms have migrated £1.2 trillion ($1.6 trillion) worth of assets and relocated 7,500 jobs from Britain to the European Union since the referendum, according to data tracked by EY and published in October.
    "We see this as a first wave," William Wright, managing director of London-based think tank New Financial wrote in January. It's plausible that about 35,000 jobs might move in the medium term, according to Wright.

• Options
    The public has been urged to join a slow handclap protest against the government’s proposed 1% pay rise for NHS staff as anger mounts over the plan.

Unison called on people to show solidarity with frontline health staff by appearing on their doorsteps and balconies next Thursday at 8pm to show what they think about the “derisory” increase.

The gesture of support for NHS workers should be repeated three weeks later on 1 April, the day staff were due to have their wage increase, the union said.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,866

• Options
    Cricket....oh dear.....worse than the Rugby team.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    edited March 2021

Morning all. The sky's grey is a bit lighter this morning, but as Mr U says the performance of our top order doesn't lighten one's mood either.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229

kamski said:

German states seem to have decided that rising case numbers can be managed - the calculation seems to be that death and hospitalisation rates won't jump because the most vulnerable are being vaccinated and treatments are improving. Hospitals and ICU never looked like being overwhelmed, and people are fed up with the damage done to lives business and education, so there will be a gradual easing of lockdown measures rather than tightening, no matter that case numbers are rising.
    I'm not sure this is wise but it's understandable.
    Meanwhile lots of lives could probably be saved by concentrating on getting a first vaccine dose to as many people as possible and worrying about booster shots later.

Do they know which variants they are dealing with? B.117 is not to be treated lightly.....
    Yes, it's over 50% b117 now. It's the reason case numbers are rising.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

It amuses me considering he was such an advocate for the ERM that he then went on to become a strong Brexit campaigner.
    I bought The Door Wherein I Went in my 20s and found it quite heavy.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

I bought The Door Wherein I Went in my 20s and found it quite heavy going.
    If you are after biographes is there eg a good Mo Mowlem bio?
  • Options
    Mango said:

Private Island by James Meeks. Excellent look at who owns what when it comes to our former nationalised assets in the UK, and how it came to be that way, and what the hell we can do about it.

I suppose it's more policy than politics, but it's well-written and capable of lighting a burning fire.
    And presumably how much better many services have become... :smile:
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,110
    edited March 2021

Morning all. The sky's grey is a bit lighter this morning, but as Mr U says the performance of our top order doesn't lighten one's mood either.
    What’s the difference between an English batsman who can play spin and Boris Johnson’s integrity?

There are still people out there who think one day Boris Johnson will show integrity.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

I'v got some of those; I suspect I might be raiding my bookshelves for Grandson 2, who plans, subject to A levels etc, to read Modern History somewhere in September.

Incidentally and off topic, has anyone come across an email address 'oldboot.com'. Someone's applied to join an online group I'm involved with using it and the people running are either puzzled or suspicious or both!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

And honestly, how does a 15 year old 'hate Thatcher'?

They can't. They might have developed antipathy for the policies they have read about, sympathy for people they know they feel were affected by those policies, but if they were to say hate? Performative silliness.
    That's why I recommend against highly partisan stuff, and am trying for 'adjacent to politics' books.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

*cough* £340,000 plus all his legal costs.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

*cough* £340,000 plus all his legal costs.
    And a Non-Disclosure Agreement?
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

We're recommending politics books we enjoyed, probably read as middle aged adults, for a teenage girl. Who would probably enjoy something like Sasha Swire's diaries, with its mix of 'politics on the inside' and personalities/gossip, a lot more?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699
    Endillion said:

I don't really see how the US survives long term in a state where everything is politicised like this. The country has nothing it can agree on anymore. They badly need a common enemy - China should do.

War. War never changes.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Scott_xP said:
    Why are the government proceeding with this? Arrogance? Just out of touch?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    They can't; it's yet another misjudgement by Johnson that is going to lead to yet another u-turn.

If Labour were sensible, they would tie themselves to a specific credible proposal - say 3% with a low earner underpin (e.g. £600 per year if higher) - and then launch a major campaign around it. The problem they have is that the unions won't allow their negotiating 'rights' to be undermined by their own party. Hearing the Labour spokesman on R4 just now, he had nothing notable to say in answer to the question of what a Labour government would pay, and had to tapdance around process issues to avoid saying anything that might undercut the unions' opening position.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited March 2021
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

We're recommending politics books we enjoyed, probably read as middle aged adults, for a teenage girl. Who would probably enjoy something like Sasha Swire's diaries, with its mix of 'politics on the inside' and personalities/gossip, a lot more?
    True- another book that is not so "heavy" would be Emily Maitlis' book -Airhead- Recalls her major interviews (and quirky ones) with (mainly ) politicians (obama etc )
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    Scott_xP said:
    Published in 2019. Has anything happened since then that might have changed things?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    kamski said:
    Because he can fundraise - and it’s his surrogates who have been most egregious in libelling them.

If they win, they might have a shot at him too.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    IanB2 said:

The Iron Heel by Jack London. Which is fiction but it's basically come true.
    Goddess of Anarchy, The Life and Times of Lucy Parsons by Jacqueline Jones.
    The Wretched of the Earth by Frantz Fanon (Never too early to educate teenagers about the moral duty of violent revolution.)
    Constance Markievicz: Irish Revolutionary by Anne Haverty
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647

The British state, not a bunch of vindictive cnuts, no siree.
    https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1367955104834478085?s=21

Meghan is the Wallis Simpson de nos jours.
    Was Wallis one of Marge's sisters?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    In my occasional rant about the misuse of language why are these threats “horrific”.

Wankers will be wankers. They are certainly making racist assumptions (“all Mexican restaurants will have illegal immigrants”).

But that’s all to be expected. The threats are tedious, time wasting, irritating, frustrating. But not “horrific”.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

True- another book that is not so "heavy" would be Emily Maitlis' book -Airhead- Recalls her major interviews (and quirky ones) with (mainly ) politicians (obama etc )
    We're assuming a generous relative would buy a shelf of books.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    The press is going to be hard to get through without a u-turn. I like the idea of extra paid holiday, perhaps 3 weeks extra spread over the next 3 years to balance out the workload. Perhaps additionally work with the airlines to get them free flights to make free flights available to NHS staff for those holidays.

But I actually think a 1% pay rise is fine, given inflation is about 1% and we have just been through a pandemic. If there is funding available for a bigger rise in public sector pay, the first priority should be non NHS carers.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

I bought The Door Wherein I Went in my 20s and found it quite heavy.
    It is - The Sparrow’s Flight (pace Matthew) is his conventional biography while “the Door Wherein I went” deals with his religion and moral philosophy
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

Was there a good Mo Mowlem?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

What’s the difference between an English batsman who can play spin and Boris Johnson’s integrity?
    At least one English batsman who can play spin actually exists.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Published in 2019. Has anything happened since then that might have changed things?
    Something to deprioritise healthcare funding? No, I don't think so.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Because the tax base is a smouldering ruin and many in the private sector have suffered far worse than a pay rise
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Good luck getting a jury that doesnt have one MAGA on it.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:
    In my occasional rant about the misuse of language why are these threats “horrific”.

Wankers will be wankers. They are certainly making racist assumptions (“all Mexican restaurants will have illegal immigrants”).

But that’s all to be expected. The threats are tedious, time wasting, irritating, frustrating. But not “horrific”.
    Your ability to put yourself in the shoes of a Mexican or a Hispanic American in Texas is impressive.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    IanB2 said:

They can't; it's yet another misjudgement by Johnson that is going to lead to yet another u-turn.

The u turn isn't confirmed until the usual human shields (Hancock, Wiggy Shapps, that one with the enormous head, etc.) are sent out to defend it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

If Labour were sensible, they would tie themselves to a specific credible proposal - say 3% with a low earner underpin (e.g. £600 per year if higher) - and then launch a major campaign around it. The problem they have is that the unions won't allow their negotiating 'rights' to be undermined by their own party. Hearing the Labour spokesman on R4 just now, he had nothing notable to say in answer to the question of what a Labour government would pay, and had to tapdance around process issues to avoid saying anything that might undercut the unions' opening position.
    Surely you've hit the point though, with opening position being so extreme (nobody sane would suggest 12% payrise in these circumstances).

If it ends up being 3% as an improvement on 1% then that's a lot closer to 1% than 12%.

But if the government had said 3% the unions might have still said that's not enough and demanded more anyway.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Just waiting for the Brexit dividend to come rolling in....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Payrises aren't healthcare funding. They mean you have less healthcare funding for the same budget in fact.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Payrises aren't healthcare funding. They mean you have less healthcare funding for the same budget in fact.
    That's plain bonkers. We pay doctors and nurses to look after us and that during and after the pandemic they have even more work to do. Giving them a real terms pay cut is not going to help.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Wouldn’t it be better to use extra funding to increase capacity and enhance reliance?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Just waiting for the Brexit dividend to come rolling in....
    That's about the only real argument the Tories have. Brexit means we have to cut healthcare funding.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Wouldn’t it be better to use extra funding to increase capacity and enhance reliance?
    A real terms paycut for doctors and nurses during and in the aftermath of a pandemic, when we ask them to do more is insane economically and politically. It will lead to worse outcomes.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Your ability to put yourself in the shoes of a Mexican or a Hispanic American in Texas is impressive.
    Why is it horrific?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    That's plain bonkers. We pay doctors and nurses to look after us and that during and after the pandemic they have even more work to do. Giving them a real terms pay cut is not going to help.
    They have safe and secure jobs unlike many millions elsewhere in the nation.

There's worse fates in life than a limited pay rise.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:
    Its called incentivising the workforce.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Why is it horrific?
    Learn about ICE.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Apologies for what I did to Root there.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Nah. It's taking the piss. The NHS has gone beyond the call of duty. They deserve recognition for their critical contribution and fair compensation for all the extra effort that will continue for years to come.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

I suggest a tax on obesity. Unless you have a doctor’s note explaining WHY you have to eat seventeen pork pies for lunch, for every BMI point over 28 you get an extra 3 percent tax, or a similar deduction in your benefits. Over BMI 32 make it 6 percent.

Between BMI 25-28 have disincentives. Make food pricier for them.

I'm on the cusp, so not too sure about that!
    Bmi is too crude. You starve all rugby players...
  • Options

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Why is it horrific?
    Learn about ICE.
    There’s also the point that Charles, while complaining about the misuse of language, appears not to have noticed that ‘horrific’ was in quotes - so straightforward reportage.
    For it to be ‘misuse’ requires a piece of mind reading beyond most of us mere mortals.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Whereas I agree an extra payrise isn't appropriate (I would like to see a one off payment or holiday for those in more junior levels in the frontline of covid as a thank you). However assuming they have secure roles is not correct.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Apologies for what I did to Root there.
    Well that’s you dropped for the next match...
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Nah. It's taking the piss. The NHS has gone beyond the call of duty. They deserve recognition for their critical contribution and fair compensation for all the extra effort that will continue for years to come.
    Taken out of context the 1% looks off, and I suspect will not be the final number. However the context for other public sector workers and so so many in the private sector is relevant. One thing that is usually missed is increments. The nhs has many pay levels, and a lot of staff will receive an annual level increase, at least until they reach the top of the relevant band.
    Uni salary has been pretty tight for the last decade yet my personal salary has increased via increments and a promotion. This will apply in the nhs too.
    Some of the nhs has had a terrible year. I certainly think rewards are due, but would divorce the blanket pay settlement from specific Covid responses.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Stocky said:

DougSeal said:

Under 6,000 cases from 900,000 tests:

I think we must be close to bringing this outbreak under control.
    I`m hoping that people aren`t spooked after the schools go back next week.

New infections may rise and also the positivity rate - as I reported earlier - because thousands of schoolchildren`s negative LFTs won`t be reported onto the stats but a positive LFT duly confirmed by a positive PCR test WILL go on the figures.
    There’s a real possibility that the return to schools could lead to a decrease in cases over a few weeks after a spike in numbers that wouldn’t give an increase in hospitalisations anyway.

After all, we know we’re not picking up all cases in the current testing, and there are a few tens of thousands of unidentified infected school-age children (up to age 18) out there, passing it on.

If this ends up picking up most or all of them and they isolate as required so don’t pass it on, it reduces prevalence significantly a couple or three weeks down the road.

Without any hospitalisations, as these cases existed anyway.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Taken out of context the 1% looks off, and I suspect will not be the final number. However the context for other public sector workers and so so many in the private sector is relevant. One thing that is usually missed is increments. The nhs has many pay levels, and a lot of staff will receive an annual level increase, at least until they reach the top of the relevant band.
    Uni salary has been pretty tight for the last decade yet my personal salary has increased via increments and a promotion. This will apply in the nhs too.
    Some of the nhs has had a terrible year. I certainly think rewards are due, but would divorce the blanket pay settlement from specific Covid responses.
    It looks off, because it is off. Your approach sounds very expensive to administer and potentially divisive. If the government had said we are going to reward the NHS for the contribution to COVID and in advance of the difficult year ahead clearing the backlogs, everyone would have got behind it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Why is it horrific?
    Because it's saying you don't belong here.

In the same way, say, Jews were treated in Germany during the 1930's even before the Ghettos were created.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Scott_xP said:
    Good luck getting a jury that doesnt have one MAGA on it.
    In Washington DC - very possible I would imagine.
This discussion has been closed.