Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

COVID vaccination – the extraordinary political divide in the US – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Forgoing the vaccine should be everyone’s libertarian choice. Equally it should be the taxpayers’ choice not to give them healthcare in our hospitals or their kids an education in our schools. Scared of the big bad state, well it cuts both ways matey.

Do they then get to pay no tax?

in reality its stupid talking in these extremes given even you would balk at kids being denied education for their parents actions
    I would 100% ban any kid from attending school or an early years setting that was not fully up to date with their vaccines. I’ve lived somewhere where this was the rule and it worked well. That you think it’s extreme or stupid says rather a lot.
    and it says a lot about you frankly
    It’s been quite jarring seeing the uk up close as a parent. Got an email from the school this week begging parents to give their kids the mmr as there’s a vulnerable child who a) cannot take vaccines and b) would be at increased risk of death if they caught any of the three.

If I ran the school I’d be demanding vaccine certificates for every child in attendance. Any parent selfish and ignorant enough not to care can stick with the home schooling.

Grown up societies and grown up people should continually debate the trade offs between individual right to choose and security. Unflinchingly shaking your fist in defence of “liberty” without a second thought, is as childish as those that want to suckle at nanny state’s teet their whole life.
    We make such trade offs all the time, it's being an adult to discuss their level and how much. I too have red lines on such, but we all know societies need to discuss whether there is a need. And it wont always get the balance right, but it's silly to act like it's not a balance.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

DougSeal said:

The Republican figure can be summed up as the people who most wanted slow and dangerous herd immunity through mass infections refusing instant and safe herd immunity via a vaccine. Contrarianism doesn't really pay when it comes to medical science.

To independent people, a state vaccine means you are on the list. They know you. They know you take vaccines. When the next vaccine comes long in six months, they want you to take it. If you don;t, they will want to know why.

Interesting. Did you develop these paranoid delusions before or after taking a vaccine?
    I haven;t taken a vaccine, my family haven't and I won't be taking one while the government is driving the whole thing. When I can get a vaccine on privately and confidentially, I may take one.

That will be my decision. Not Matt Hancock's. You want him to run your life for you, that is your affair.
    Interesting. Just before I read your post I had completed an article on how "No Jab/No Job" policies are likely to be lawful and commonplace in a few months. As you say, though, your decision.
    The government should not insist "no jab/no job" but if an employer desires to do so then that is entirely libertarian.
    But the government is an employer. The biggest one in the country.
    So, jab needed to work in a public sector office c.f. jab needed to work in a private sector office - the first is an ethical problem but the second isn't?
    Can't quite see the logic there tbh.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited March 2021
    Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Under 60s seems now to be a thing (despite the wording still up on the NHS link).
    Just managed to book a vaccination for a week Saturday.

Thankyou!!

Just booked. Next Friday. Francis Crick Institute. I GET THE JABBB!!!!

REALLY efficient. Took 3 minutes. So impressive
    Next Friday's vaccination numbers are going to be HUUUGE... :wink:
    Is it perhaps over 55s now? Because I've tried a couple of times and got knocked back.
    The link that was posted earlier is apparently accepting them now:
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Under 60s seems now to be a thing (despite the wording still up on the NHS link).

Thankyou!!

Is it perhaps over 55s now? Because I've tried a couple of times and got knocked back.
    I'm guessing 55-60s now. PG8
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Absolutely spot on. Asking a neuroscientist about this is like asking me (an employment lawyer) to advise you on boundary disputes (which, TBF, my parents have been doing for 20 years...)

Sounds like they should move to avoid the headache of whatever has been in dispute for 20 years!

• Options
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

The Republican figure can be summed up as the people who most wanted slow and dangerous herd immunity through mass infections refusing instant and safe herd immunity via a vaccine. Contrarianism doesn't really pay when it comes to medical science.

To independent people, a state vaccine means you are on the list. They know you. They know you take vaccines. When the next vaccine comes long in six months, they want you to take it. If you don;t, they will want to know why.

Interesting. Did you develop these paranoid delusions before or after taking a vaccine?
    I haven;t taken a vaccine, my family haven't and I won't be taking one while the government is driving the whole thing. When I can get a vaccine on privately and confidentially, I may take one.

That will be my decision. Not Matt Hancock's. You want him to run your life for you, that is your affair.
    Interesting. Just before I read your post I had completed an article on how "No Jab/No Job" policies are likely to be lawful and commonplace in a few months. As you say, though, your decision.
    The government should not insist "no jab/no job" but if an employer desires to do so then that is entirely libertarian.
    That's what will happen IMO. Ditto airlines. I don't think there will be a domestic vaccine passport, likely unworkable, but if you want access to employment or international travel (i.e. nearly everyone) you will need to be vaccinated.
    I'll be surprised if proof of jab is required for many jobs other than perhaps in healthcare.
    A lot of my clients are asking about it. In plumbing it appears to be a thing.
    Yes, any job that involves going into other people's houses for an extended time, will need a vax passport

So, plumbers, painters, builders, decoraters, Sky repairmen, boiler repair. Maybe even estate agents.

The list will be much longer than kinabalu realises.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    /

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
    It still says over 60's?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?
    Ignore it. Push on. It works. Or at least it did for me: 55-60
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Endillion said:

I don't really see how the US survives long term in a state where everything is politicised like this. The country has nothing it can agree on anymore. They badly need a common enemy - China should do.

It's where endless diversity politics gets you though. Every group has a grievance, and everybody thinks about their own grievances and ignores everybody else's. We'd go the same way if the diversity industry has its way.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

That's what will happen IMO. Ditto airlines. I don't think there will be a domestic vaccine passport, likely unworkable, but if you want access to employment or international travel (i.e. nearly everyone) you will need to be vaccinated.
    I'll be surprised if proof of jab is required for many jobs other than perhaps in healthcare.
    Yes, any job that involves going into other people's houses for an extended time, will need a vax passport

So, plumbers, painters, builders, decoraters, Sky repairmen, boiler repair. Maybe even estate agents.

Any client facing job will require it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Forgoing the vaccine should be everyone’s libertarian choice. Equally it should be the taxpayers’ choice not to give them healthcare in our hospitals or their kids an education in our schools. Scared of the big bad state, well it cuts both ways matey.

in reality its stupid talking in these extremes given even you would balk at kids being denied education for their parents actions
    I would 100% ban any kid from attending school or an early years setting that was not fully up to date with their vaccines. I’ve lived somewhere where this was the rule and it worked well. That you think it’s extreme or stupid says rather a lot.
    It’s been quite jarring seeing the uk up close as a parent. Got an email from the school this week begging parents to give their kids the mmr as there’s a vulnerable child who a) cannot take vaccines and b) would be at increased risk of death if they caught any of the three.

If I ran the school I’d be demanding vaccine certificates for every child in attendance. Any parent selfish and ignorant enough not to care can stick with the home schooling.

Grown up societies and grown up people should continually debate the trade offs between individual right to choose and security. Unflinchingly shaking your fist in defence of “liberty” without a second thought, is as childish as those that want to suckle at nanny state’s teet their whole life.
    We make such trade offs all the time, it's being an adult to discuss their level and how much. I too have red lines on such, but we all know societies need to discuss whether there is a need. And it wont always get the balance right, but it's silly to act like it's not a balance.
    Many years ago, when I was professionally concerned with such matters, a school nurse came to me for help. Apparently a child had arrived in one of 'her' school with, according to the mother, a severe peanut allergy. The nurse and the Head had asked therefore asked parents not to include peanut butter sandwiches in their children's lunchboxes.
    One mother wrote back that her child really liked such sandwiches and it was down to the school to make sure that affected child was protected, not her.
  • Options
    Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?
    Ah, I was just going by what Leon implied earlier.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    DougSeal said:

Absolutely spot on. Asking a neuroscientist about this is like asking me (an employment lawyer) to advise you on boundary disputes (which, TBF, my parents have been doing for 20 years...)

You could advise them to sack their legal counsel.
  • Options

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?
    You ignore that and push through. It worked for me. Got an appointment in seconds. Indeed I had a luxurious choice of jabbing centres, from Marylebone to Bloomsbury to the new Francis Crick Institute. I chose the last because it's an impressive building but I've never been inside

Life is returning!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Fishing said:

Endillion said:

I don't really see how the US survives long term in a state where everything is politicised like this. The country has nothing it can agree on anymore. They badly need a common enemy - China should do.

It's where endless diversity politics gets you though. Every group has a grievance, and everybody thinks about their own grievances and ignores everybody else's. We'd go the same way if the diversity industry has its way.
    The Oppression Olympics is a good term for this.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

So, jab needed to work in a public sector office c.f. jab needed to work in a private sector office - the first is an ethical problem but the second isn't?
    I think it will be required in the military and the NHS.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Sounds like they should move to avoid the headache of whatever has been in dispute for 20 years!

Bother. I've got a boundary problem and was thinking of pm-ing for advice.
  • Options

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Seriously - it would be like asking your dentist to perform heart surgery.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how terrible a thing it would be if a large number of Republicans of the more Trumpian persuasion were to skip the vaccine and insist on having unprotected life - which in many cases is then duly brought to a premature end by Covid.

It's not exactly lose/lose, is it?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Re the NHS website saying over 60s, but allowing 55-60s to book.

I have seen this previously with other groups. My guess the backend gets preloaded with a new cohort slightly in advance of a new public announcement e.g. we might see over the Sunday report that 55-60s is now all go go go from Monday, letters on their way etc.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

To them, I am their legal counsel. They don't quite see why I shouldn't be able to pick up by Big Book of Law and tell them what to do.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Leon said:

maaarsh said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:
    That's considerably better, and should keep growing, tho I confess I was hoping for a crazy figure, like 650,000

Maybe we will hit those next week.

High vaccine numbers are my daily boost. I crave them, like a drug
    Still lower than last week, which wasn't anywhere near the best Thursday number either - the news reports that it'll be crap till next Wednesday seem true - just hope the 2nd part of the report is true and it starts to go through the roof after that.
    450,000 (which is roughly what today will be, adding in the devolved nations) is not entirely crap. Every other European country would kill for these numbers. 450,000 means 312 jabs in every minute, five Britons every second

But yes, I nonetheless hope it speeds up. Not least coz I want my own bloody jab. Stick it in me!
    450,000 would be more than the next two EU countries yesterday (Germany & Spain) added together.....
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

To them, I am their legal counsel. They don't quite see why I shouldn't be able to pick up by Big Book of Law and tell them what to do.
    D'you think they might have a bit of an issue with boundaries?
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Cheers. That was where I was trying. I guess it's down to 55 now, so I have a little while longer to wait.

Thanks anyway.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

D'you think they might have a bit of an issue with boundaries?
    I see what you did there!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423

Cookie said:

Leon said:

The funny thing is contrarian claims to want to open up and get back to normal - but vaccines do that. If everyone is vaccinated then Covid is effectively defeated and manageable and we can get back to normal.

If people aren't vaccinated then Covid remains and people socially distance by choice rather than by law. Businesses struggle. Debts accrue. Children and others suffer.

I had this very same argument with a close antivaxxer friend. She loathes lockdown but won't have the jab. I tried to explain the logic: the vaccines are probably the only way, certainly the fastest way, OUT of lockdown

She just wouldn't buy it. Antivaxxery is a weird mental condition. She's far from stupid

Anyway, when she realises she can't travel anyway or work in many jobs or go to gigs or festivals or whatever, she will, I suspect, be forced to rethink
    I am the last person to tell you not to have a vaccine. Have one. Me? I'll take my chances, thanks. Until I can pay to have one privately and confidentially. Which I may. Or may not.
    I am not an anti-vaxxer, but I can fully understand the mentality behind it.
    The last 12 months have made it very difficult to trust the state. There has been so much constant haranguing, so many out and out lies (the casual interchange of 'cases' with 'positive tests', the insistence that 'cases' are going up at times when all available evidence points to the opposite), so much vitriol poured on anyone whose views questioned the orthodoxy in any mild way, so much overreach of state power (policing people sitting on park benches). To the slightly curious, it hasn't exactly felt like the state is on our side.
    Now, presumably the state's approach - they have form in this - is to decide that the only way they can make people to behave as they want is to exaggerate the threat ('if people won't believe the truth, we'll have to lie to them.'). They have form on this. But doing this pushes a small core of people not to co-operate at all. People feel like they're being manipulated, and people have an aversion to being manipulated. It has felt to some of us like the enthusiasm for lockdown measures has been out of all proportion to the benefit in controlling the disease. It's only a small jump from that to a conclusion that lockdowns are an end in themselves.
    And the obvious evidence of vaccines working isn't yet particularly exciting. All the indicators are that the virus is in retreat - but that was true ten months ago, and there wasn't a vaccine then. Deaths and positive tests among the oldies are declining - but not much, yet, in comparison to the unvaccinated population.
    Now I want to believe. I want to have hope. I'm looking desperately for evidence that vaccines work, and so I am happy to hear enthusiasm about them from well-informed voices on here. I will of course have the vaccine when it is offered - I have been vaccinated without qualms for other things. But if I wasn't already in a 'want to believe' mindset I could easily convince myself not to. I could easily convince myself that the state was not on my side. And I could easily convince myself that lockdowns are the end, not the means.
    As I say, I'm NOT in that mindset. But I can understand it.
    Interesting post. The bit that stands out is 'the conclusion that lockdowns are an end in themselves'. I know that's not your opinion, but what possible end could there be for a government to have a lockdown as an end in itself? Thats the bit I don't understand. Any ideas?
    Well there's all sorts of conspiracies flying around. The great reset, etc. Now I don't buy into all this, rationally. But I can well understand why people do, given the circumstances. And given that during lockdown we are deprived of our ability to rub the edges off our crazier opinions through our interactions with real people, rather than nutters on twitter and facebook (pb.com is actually an antidote to this - there's a pretty wide range of opinions, most of which get tested fairly). And given that, given the circumstances, many people's (mine included) mental health has not been what it might be - which leaves us rather more receptive to catastrophising.

Now I'm pretty libertarian anyway (despite having a public sector job). So maybe I'm more disinclined than most to perceive the state as benign. But still, I can see why some people have become more suspicious of stat motives.

It may well be of course that the way the government has done it has hit the sweet spot. Had they pushed less hard, maybe fewer who would feel manipulated but maybe more would have been disinclined to change their behaviours. It's not something we can ever have a control for.

In reality, we're in the happy position that anti-vaxxism isn't going to matter that much; there's so few anti-vaxxers that we should easily manage to get to a her immunity threshold without having to dragoon the unwilling.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

I have much sympathies. Even petty boundary disputes seem to drive people to years or decades of intense, all consuming fury and worry.

Worse than rights of way disputes even.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

I know. Wasn't serious. TBH, it would probably be better to ask Mr Gallowgate. However, my insurance company has a firm of lawyers on tap and I thought I might as well get some value out of my policy so rang them. And got an answer which would have done justice to an economist...... one the one hand this...... but one other hand.....that.
    Essentially the chap advised me to sort it out without redress to the law.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

To them, I am their legal counsel.
    That was the joke. :)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,148

The reporting of this is ... interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56293384

Literally, "a bad thing has happened".
    Local Twitterati are suggesting someone has run amok. Ynyswen is a particularly grim place even on a good day.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    My other half volunteers at a vaccine site. They have been doing three days a week 9-5. From the week after next they are going 5/7 days a week and 8-8. Make of that what you will. Only one centre, but....
  • Options

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

I know. Wasn't serious. TBH, it would probably be better to ask Mr Gallowgate. However, my insurance company has a firm of lawyers on tap and I thought I might as well get some value out of my policy so rang them. And got an answer which would have done justice to an economist...... one the one hand this...... but one other hand.....that.
    Lawyers often try to have things be sorted without their involvement.

In fairness it usually is best to avoid legal avenues if at all possible. Escalation ramps up like crazy when lawyers are brought on, even if the lawyer does not want that!
  • Options

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

That's really poor. I always say to trainees "take a view - tell the client what you think they should do. They'll like that. If you're right they'll graduate to loving you. If you're wrong the insurance poicy will pick it up. Just don't make it a multiple choice - that's not what you're being paid for."
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

I don't see why, really.
    If a plumber comes to my house to do some plumbing, it doesn't matter whether he has had a jab or not because I have. And if I haven't, then that's my responsibility, not his.
    I appreciate I am oversimplifying wildly.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

The funny thing is contrarian claims to want to open up and get back to normal - but vaccines do that. If everyone is vaccinated then Covid is effectively defeated and manageable and we can get back to normal.

If people aren't vaccinated then Covid remains and people socially distance by choice rather than by law. Businesses struggle. Debts accrue. Children and others suffer.

I had this very same argument with a close antivaxxer friend. She loathes lockdown but won't have the jab. I tried to explain the logic: the vaccines are probably the only way, certainly the fastest way, OUT of lockdown

She just wouldn't buy it. Antivaxxery is a weird mental condition. She's far from stupid

Anyway, when she realises she can't travel anyway or work in many jobs or go to gigs or festivals or whatever, she will, I suspect, be forced to rethink
    I am the last person to tell you not to have a vaccine. Have one. Me? I'll take my chances, thanks. Until I can pay to have one privately and confidentially. Which I may. Or may not.
    The last 12 months have made it very difficult to trust the state. There has been so much constant haranguing, so many out and out lies (the casual interchange of 'cases' with 'positive tests', the insistence that 'cases' are going up at times when all available evidence points to the opposite), so much vitriol poured on anyone whose views questioned the orthodoxy in any mild way, so much overreach of state power (policing people sitting on park benches). To the slightly curious, it hasn't exactly felt like the state is on our side.
    Now, presumably the state's approach - they have form in this - is to decide that the only way they can make people to behave as they want is to exaggerate the threat ('if people won't believe the truth, we'll have to lie to them.'). They have form on this. But doing this pushes a small core of people not to co-operate at all. People feel like they're being manipulated, and people have an aversion to being manipulated. It has felt to some of us like the enthusiasm for lockdown measures has been out of all proportion to the benefit in controlling the disease. It's only a small jump from that to a conclusion that lockdowns are an end in themselves.
    And the obvious evidence of vaccines working isn't yet particularly exciting. All the indicators are that the virus is in retreat - but that was true ten months ago, and there wasn't a vaccine then. Deaths and positive tests among the oldies are declining - but not much, yet, in comparison to the unvaccinated population.
    Now I want to believe. I want to have hope. I'm looking desperately for evidence that vaccines work, and so I am happy to hear enthusiasm about them from well-informed voices on here. I will of course have the vaccine when it is offered - I have been vaccinated without qualms for other things. But if I wasn't already in a 'want to believe' mindset I could easily convince myself not to. I could easily convince myself that the state was not on my side. And I could easily convince myself that lockdowns are the end, not the means.
    Interesting post. The bit that stands out is 'the conclusion that lockdowns are an end in themselves'. I know that's not your opinion, but what possible end could there be for a government to have a lockdown as an end in itself? Thats the bit I don't understand. Any ideas?
    Well there's all sorts of conspiracies flying around. The great reset, etc. Now I don't buy into all this, rationally. But I can well understand why people do, given the circumstances. And given that during lockdown we are deprived of our ability to rub the edges off our crazier opinions through our interactions with real people, rather than nutters on twitter and facebook (pb.com is actually an antidote to this - there's a pretty wide range of opinions, most of which get tested fairly). And given that, given the circumstances, many people's (mine included) mental health has not been what it might be - which leaves us rather more receptive to catastrophising.

Now I'm pretty libertarian anyway (despite having a public sector job). So maybe I'm more disinclined than most to perceive the state as benign. But still, I can see why some people have become more suspicious of stat motives.

It may well be of course that the way the government has done it has hit the sweet spot. Had they pushed less hard, maybe fewer who would feel manipulated but maybe more would have been disinclined to change their behaviours. It's not something we can ever have a control for.

In reality, we're in the happy position that anti-vaxxism isn't going to matter that much; there's so few anti-vaxxers that we should easily manage to get to a her immunity threshold without having to dragoon the unwilling.
    That is the sweetspot indeed, herd immunity through vaccination without coercion.

Personally, I think it's quite possible to achieve higher overall vaccination rates without coercion than with. I think leaving people with an element of choice reduces reactance and hence maximizes willing cooperation, even if the choice is 'if you want to be able to do x, then you must prove you've been vaccinated'
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

To them, I am their legal counsel.
    That was the joke. :)
    Sorry, my sense of humour was bypassed when I got admitted to the roll :D
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

So you're not willing to take a safe and effective jab now in order to get us out of lockdown and put an end to the pandemic?

Thanks for finally making your position clear.
    There are conservatives in America who are not demanding you take a vaccine to get you out of lockdown. That is the kind of conservative I will be voting for in Britain . If I can find one.
    I didn't know we had an Anti-Vax Simpleton Party in this country. I suppose you could always start one yourself.
    It's such an odd thing to come into contact with one of the 5% of actual hardcore anti-vaxxers that doesn't post BTL on the Telegraph of Express.
    Dura Ace is antivax as well. Which is really odd as he seems of a scientific bent, and is obviously smart

Intelligence is not correlated with anti-vaxxery, perhaps it is inversely correlated. Smart people are more likely to be paranoid? Hmm....
    It's not down to Dura Ace being anti-vax. He's just a typical Leeds United fan - arrogantly thinks his body is able to fight anyone, anything, anywhere, any time.

I blame Don Revie.
    Sounds like a Jack Russell terrier; something for which to blame the clergy.
    We had a friend with a Jack Russell that got attacked by a Doberman.

The Jack Russell castrated it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

I have much sympathies. Even petty boundary disputes seem to drive people to years or decades of intense, all consuming fury and worry.

Worse than rights of way disputes even.
    It's not really a boundary dispute TBH; someone has driven their Chelsea tractor into my fence. Hit the drive pedal instead of the brake apparently.
  • Options
    Thanks all!!!

First AND second doses booked - first next Friday

GET IN!!!!!!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

So you're not willing to take a safe and effective jab now in order to get us out of lockdown and put an end to the pandemic?

There are conservatives in America who are not demanding you take a vaccine to get you out of lockdown. That is the kind of conservative I will be voting for in Britain . If I can find one.
    I didn't know we had an Anti-Vax Simpleton Party in this country. I suppose you could always start one yourself.
    It's such an odd thing to come into contact with one of the 5% of actual hardcore anti-vaxxers that doesn't post BTL on the Telegraph of Express.
    Dura Ace is antivax as well. Which is really odd as he seems of a scientific bent, and is obviously smart

Intelligence is not correlated with anti-vaxxery, perhaps it is inversely correlated. Smart people are more likely to be paranoid? Hmm....
    It's not down to Dura Ace being anti-vax. He's just a typical Leeds United fan - arrogantly thinks his body is able to fight anyone, anything, anywhere, any time.

I blame Don Revie.
    It's a touch early to blame the clergy. Collectively they've sat on their hands for only 500 years of Sundays.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

My other half volunteers at a vaccine site. They have been doing three days a week 9-5. From the week after next they are going 5/7 days a week and 8-8. Make of that what you will. Only one centre, but....

To infinity and beyond.....

They have already briefed that from next week it will be double this week. We should see some big daily numbers.

Its why I am not surprised NHS site is taking 55s bookings, as I expect they will publicly announce it over the weekend.
  • Options
    Mango said:

Cheers. That was where I was trying. I guess it's down to 55 now, so I have a little while longer to wait.

Thanks anyway.
    It's a GREAT feeling when you get the booking. FINALLY there is real light at the end of this fucking long tunnel, which now appears a lot shorter. In four weeks' time I will be largely protected from this hideous disease, and I will also be protecting my friends and family

I can do four weeks. I can hack that. One month to freedom

I wonder if it is this mood boost which is driving the Tories' soaring polling.

One of my first reactions to getting the booking was Well done the government (and well done the NHS). My attitude towards Boris and Co has not been exactly positive of late, as my comments have shown, but now I have something to be thankful for: because the UK government, for all its terrible errors, really nailed the vaccination drive, when other countries did not

I can see how this would lead to a surge in support for HMG, given that 20 million+ people have been through this same mood-booster.

• Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

That's really poor. I always say to trainees "take a view - tell the client what you think they should do. They'll like that. If you're right they'll graduate to loving you. If you're wrong the insurance poicy will pick it up. Just don't make it a multiple choice - that's not what you're being paid for."
    I've always thought it fine to let out some options, and issues with them, but if asked for advice and you are able, indicate a clear preference and why.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    BBC News - Mystery person with Brazil variant in UK found
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56298931

Lock em up, lock em up, lock em up....
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I blame Don Revie.
    It's a touch early to blame the clergy. Collectively they've sat on their hands for only 500 years of Sundays.
    Originally bred by the Rev. J. Russell.
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I blame Don Revie.
    We had a friend with a Jack Russell that got attacked by a Doberman.

The Jack Russell castrated it.
    We have two (big) German Shepherds and an Irish Jack Russell (shorter legs, black and tan, bred for companionship over ratting). He is extremely brave when the two shepherds are around, not so much when on his own. Although I did once see him attach to the rear leg of a deer and hold on as the deer took off over the field. It was about a half hour before I saw him again. Since then, he has had the honorific "The Elk Slayer" added to his name.
  • Options

How long ago were we told it was down to 400 households? At, say, £100 an hour I could have cracked that for them in a day.
  • Options

"Brazil variant": Is that some kind of preparation for holidays in Cyprus?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Mango said:

Thanks anyway.
    It's a GREAT feeling when you get the booking. FINALLY there is real light at the end of this fucking long tunnel, which now appears a lot shorter. In four weeks' time I will be largely protected from this hideous disease, and I will also be protecting my friends and family

One of my first reactions to getting the booking was Well done the government (and well done the NHS). My attitude towards Boris and Co has not been exactly positive of late, as my comments have shown, but now I have something to be thankful for: because the UK government, for all its terrible errors, really nailed the vaccination drive, when other countries did not

I can see how this would lead to a surge in support for HMG, given that 20 million+ people have been through this same mood-booster.

This is one area where our clunking and centralised NHS comes into its own. Everyone has an NHS number, everyone has a GP, resources can be allocated and bob's your uncle. The decentralised providers of France and Germany, much better perhaps in normal times, can't do that. Some German Lander, I was reading, require two factor authorisation through a website to book. I mean...come on...seriously?
  • Options

I have seen this previously with other groups. My guess the backend gets preloaded with a new cohort slightly in advance of a new public announcement e.g. we might see over the Sunday report that 55-60s is now all go go go from Monday, letters on their way etc.

Big shout out to NigelB for pushing PBers slightly to the front of the queue. Nice.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I blame Don Revie.
    Who went to the same school I did. Although he was a few years ahead of me.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Mango said:

Thanks anyway.

This is one area where our clunking and centralised NHS comes into its own. Everyone has an NHS number, everyone has a GP, resources can be allocated and bob's your uncle. The decentralised providers of France and Germany, much better perhaps in normal times, can't do that. Some German Lander, I was reading, require two factor authorisation through a website to book. I mean...come on...seriously?
    Don't forget the story about because of German data protection laws and decentralised nature, they were having to guess ages for.some people, hoping that older sounding names equalled an old person.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

I've always thought it fine to let out some options, and issues with them, but if asked for advice and you are able, indicate a clear preference and why.
    Yes - that's my view too. But experience has taught me that clients like to have a firm view. The problem with employment law is that it is full of what the "reasonable" employer should do. Which is no guidance at all.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Hopefully I can pull the same trick when the back end of the 40s cohort is being done.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

I don't think the threat from Covid is exaggerated. Personally I know of two long coviders and 1 death, 37 no pre-existing. Maybe he was unlucky but I've never seen that range of outcomes remotely close with flu, ever. I'm getting it first opportunity.
    To be clear, I'm not disputing that covid can be thoroughly nasty, particularly for the elderly (though not nearly as often as some would have us beleive). But there HAVE been exaggerations (both through ignorance and otherwise) in talking about its virulence. And there have been numerous examples of politicians and media claiming implausibly - demonstrably implausibly - outcomes in terms of the spread of the disease (particularly around lockdown 2).
    In all likelihood this is just because they didn't know what they were talking about, even six months into the pandemic. (The surprise and indignance every bloody Tuesday when death figures are higher after the weekend catchup - even many months in (I'm lookin at you, Piers bloody Morgan) has me metaphorically banging my head against a tree.)

Like you, I'll take the jab when I'm offered it and be glad it offers me a much lower chance of unpleasantness.
    But in all seriousness I'm on balance more frightened of the worrying expansion of state powers than I am of a serious illness. Offer me the jab, sure, I'll take it. Force me to have the jab, I may start to worry.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TimT said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:
    Excellent news. I have to say from a poor start due to a badly put together trial the AZ vaccine could end up being top of the class. I've been reading some private research on what I was talking about earlier this week on mixing the AZ and J&J jabs for 2 doses 12 weeks apart and some of the modelling says it could have the highest efficacy of any combination.
    One of the things a colleague said to me sticks in my head - most of the vaccines are using the same spike protein, so ultimately its likely the effectiveness won't differ hugely (delivery methods may play a role). It is a shame that AZ stuffed up the trial, but all of this was done at speed, and we are now in Phase III+ - the real world. The emerging data is great, and I suspect the vaccines will be much of a muchness by the end.
    Yes, that's what the research pointed out as well but there's some evidence now that the adenovirus vector gives a better long term immune response with a single jab compared to the mRNA Pfizer single dose. Using two different adenovirus vector vaccines (to avoid vector immunity) for two doses spaced 12 weeks apart could result in a very, very strong and long term immunity and keep t-cells primed for a very long time.

I really hope it's something that our scientists look into as both the AZ vaccine and J&J vaccine are easy to distribute and could provide protection from existing mutations as well between them.
    Could an expert please explain why adenovirus vector may give better immunity (at least from one dose) than mRNA vector does?
    The immune system will react to the adenovirus itself, as well as the COVID protein, thus attacking the vector and preventing it delivering the COVID protein, so the body then has no chance to develop immunity to COVID
    I understand that but that should indicate that an adenovirus vector would be worse than the mRNA vector.

But instead it seems from one dose alone that might be the opposite? That the adenovirus vector may be better than the mRNA vector for one dose alone? That seems to be against expectations.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    This is the letter I was expecting to be released last night: https://gov.scot/binaries/conte
    Scott_xP said:
    Interesting legal document finally released
    https://twitter.com/ComeToGhana/status/1367852707344683013
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Big shout out to NigelB for pushing PBers slightly to the front of the queue. Nice.
    When we get close to my cohort, i will be on that bad boy in advance of any public announcement. Happy to travel where ever / whenever to get it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965
    edited March 2021
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Mango said:

Thanks anyway.

German privacy rules are completely insane - so it really doesn't surprise me.

I'm aware of one project where the staff had to be anonymized and then random additional (but none relevant) skills add / removed to ensure people didn't pick their favourite staff members.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
  • Options
    Positive Covid tests down 34.4% week on week.

Deaths down 33.6%

Patients admissions down 29%

Very very encouraging numbers.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Mango said:

Thanks anyway.

Don't forget the story about because of German data protection laws and decentralised nature, they were having to guess ages for.some people, hoping that older sounding names equalled an old person.
    It's a crisis. Get the passport application records out FFS. What are national ID cards for anyway?

Jeesh...I'm starting to sound like a Brexiter. I need a lie down.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

No there's a difference between the state as an employer setting rules for its employees and the government as lawmakers setting rules for everyone.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

I don't think the threat from Covid is exaggerated. Personally I know of two long coviders and 1 death, 37 no pre-existing. Maybe he was unlucky but I've never seen that range of outcomes remotely close with flu, ever. I'm getting it first opportunity.
    To be clear, I'm not disputing that covid can be thoroughly nasty, particularly for the elderly (though not nearly as often as some would have us beleive). But there HAVE been exaggerations (both through ignorance and otherwise) in talking about its virulence. And there have been numerous examples of politicians and media claiming implausibly - demonstrably implausibly - outcomes in terms of the spread of the disease (particularly around lockdown 2).
    In all likelihood this is just because they didn't know what they were talking about, even six months into the pandemic. (The surprise and indignance every bloody Tuesday when death figures are higher after the weekend catchup - even many months in (I'm lookin at you, Piers bloody Morgan) has me metaphorically banging my head against a tree.)

Like you, I'll take the jab when I'm offered it and be glad it offers me a much lower chance of unpleasantness.
    But in all seriousness I'm on balance more frightened of the worrying expansion of state powers than I am of a serious illness. Offer me the jab, sure, I'll take it. Force me to have the jab, I may start to worry.
    Set conditions for exiting the country, I begin to get very, very worried.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-56290106 Travellers must fill new form to leave England
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    UK Union Voice I note it says, whoever they are.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I blame Don Revie.
    The only remotely famous people who went to my school were Freddie Laker and Milo Yiannopoulos.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?
    You ignore that and push through. It worked for me. Got an appointment in seconds. Indeed I had a luxurious choice of jabbing centres, from Marylebone to Bloomsbury to the new Francis Crick Institute. I chose the last because it's an impressive building but I've never been inside

Life is returning!
    I've just got mine done there literally one hour ago. Left arm upper, administered by a quietly charismatic young woman who oozed low key professionalism. Nothing dramatic about it. No fireworks at all. Didn't even have to take my tweed cap off. I nevertheless felt a sense of occasion, I truly did. What a result. It's been emotional and it's almost over.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    malcolmg said:
    Could be the SNP wanting people to 're-sign Sturgeon' for another 5 years of Government but somebody did a typo?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    Has Salmond been crowd-funding again? 😀
  • Options
    Leon said:

Mango said:

Thanks anyway.

My wife (45 but asthmatic) is getting jabbed tomorrow. I feel exactly the same. It feels absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    I've just got mine done there literally one hour ago. Left arm upper, administered by a quietly charismatic young woman who oozed low key professionalism. Nothing dramatic about it. No fireworks at all. Didn't even have to take my tweed cap off. I nevertheless felt a sense of occasion, I truly did. What a result. It's been emotional and it's almost over.
    That's wonderful, although how one 'oozes' low key professionalism I have no idea.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    One advantage of booking via NHS website is you book both your appointments then and there.

If you go via GP invitation, some are doing this, others aren't e.g. my father hasn't heard a word yet about his 2nd jab, despite it coming up to 9 weeks, which is stressing him out a bit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Mango said:

Thanks anyway.

I can ay my mood has been hugely lifted - and I wasn't aware of feeling in any way down
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    "charismatic young woman who oozed" will be the one Leon wants.....
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Where in the Salmond timeline is 17 December 2018? How much longer did the case go on after Roddy Dunlop QC & Co described it as "ploughing on regardless"?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    edited March 2021
    malcolmg said:

This is the letter I was expecting to be released last night: https://gov.scot/binaries/conte

Scott_xP said:
    Highlight:

https://twitter.com/ColSMal/status/1367864595101200388?s=20

Wonder why they didn't release it earlier?
  • Options

One advantage of booking via NHS website is you book both your appointments then and there.

If you go via GP invitation, some are doing this, others aren't e.g. my father hasn't heard a word yet about his 2nd jab, despite it coming up to 9 weeks, which is stressing him out a bit.

GPs seem to be faffing about with group 6, deciding people shouldn't be eligible when they've been allocated to that group.

Chief executive Sarah Woolnough said:

“We know that there are different interpretations of the official guidance from GP surgery staff and we’re not sure why exactly this is happening.

Not very good.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    Well done.
    As well as being pleased that you're now developing antibodies, you have done something slightly brave for the rest of us. So you're emotional reaction is quite justified.
    Every story I hear like this makes me a little bit emotional. People bravely doing something public spirited to bring the end closer.
    Pleased you managed to carry it out in style.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TimT said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I blame Don Revie.
    The only remotely famous people who went to my school were Freddie Laker and Milo Yiannopoulos.
    I'm sorry to have to admit that Peter Bone went to the school which I did. However, it was after I did, so clearly standards had slipped!
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    TimT said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

It is the case in DC. No vax, no access to public schools. Students and teachers.
    Not a massive fan of the USA though in many respects
  • Options

Positive Covid tests down 34.4% week on week.

Deaths down 33.6%

Patients admissions down 29%

Very very encouraging numbers.

Everything is heading in the right direction, and levels of immunity in the population keep on growing as everyone who's been jabbed in the last couple of weeks builds up antibodies.
  • Options

I'm in the same position. By coincidence, I've just enquired of them
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    So group 8 can now book their vaccines online and I’m (Group 6) still waiting for my GP to pull their finger out with mine ffs
  • Options
    edited March 2021

TimT said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:
    Excellent news. I have to say from a poor start due to a badly put together trial the AZ vaccine could end up being top of the class. I've been reading some private research on what I was talking about earlier this week on mixing the AZ and J&J jabs for 2 doses 12 weeks apart and some of the modelling says it could have the highest efficacy of any combination.
    One of the things a colleague said to me sticks in my head - most of the vaccines are using the same spike protein, so ultimately its likely the effectiveness won't differ hugely (delivery methods may play a role). It is a shame that AZ stuffed up the trial, but all of this was done at speed, and we are now in Phase III+ - the real world. The emerging data is great, and I suspect the vaccines will be much of a muchness by the end.
    Yes, that's what the research pointed out as well but there's some evidence now that the adenovirus vector gives a better long term immune response with a single jab compared to the mRNA Pfizer single dose. Using two different adenovirus vector vaccines (to avoid vector immunity) for two doses spaced 12 weeks apart could result in a very, very strong and long term immunity and keep t-cells primed for a very long time.

I really hope it's something that our scientists look into as both the AZ vaccine and J&J vaccine are easy to distribute and could provide protection from existing mutations as well between them.
    Could an expert please explain why adenovirus vector may give better immunity (at least from one dose) than mRNA vector does?
    The immune system will react to the adenovirus itself, as well as the COVID protein, thus attacking the vector and preventing it delivering the COVID protein, so the body then has no chance to develop immunity to COVID
    I understand that but that should indicate that an adenovirus vector would be worse than the mRNA vector.

But instead it seems from one dose alone that might be the opposite? That the adenovirus vector may be better than the mRNA vector for one dose alone? That seems to be against expectations.
    No, on the first dose there would be no expectation that it would be worse, as the body would not have had previous exposure to the viral vector, and hence would have no adaptive immune response to it (antibodies, T-cells) before it had done its job of delivering the viral genetic material for the host to produce and provoke the immune response to COVID.

How effective any particular vaccine is is part science and part art at the moment. We know what antigens we want the body to target, and we know we want to provoke a strong response. Quite how to do the latter part is where the art mixes with the science. Off the top of my head I can think of two factors that contribute to differences in efficacy numbers:

1. Adjuvants are used to boost the strength of the immune response, and some of these are proprietary
    2. The different delivery vehicles (artificial lipid membranes for mRNA and protein vaccines, 'natural' viral membranes for viral vectors) might have different levels of efficiency of delivering the load into the cell via different efficiency levels of fusing with the cell membrane.

These are me speculating without looking up the literature. I'd happily be corrected by Max or Nigel or others with better knowledge.
  • Options

So group 8 can now book their vaccines online and I’m (Group 6) still waiting for my GP to pull their finger out with mine ffs

Have YOU tried booking online?
  • Options

Why cant you just use the website?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    You wore a hat.... indoors..?

Moderator - is there an appropriate punishment that can be levelled?
  • Options
    Floater said:

It doesn’t let you if you’re in Group 6. It only filters by age I think...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Have YOU tried booking online?
    Yes. Multiple times.
  • Options

Floater said:

What's the story from your GP practice on this nonsense ?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

TimT said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I blame Don Revie.
    I'm sorry to have to admit that Peter Bone went to the school which I did. However, it was after I did, so clearly standards had slipped!
    Do I recall you are an Ex Sinjun like myself?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    Congratulations! If in two weeks you're on here with Union Jacks in your avatar telling us that Maggie wasn't all bad really, we'll know that the jab's working as intended...
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Highlight:

https://twitter.com/ColSMal/status/1367864595101200388?s=20

Wonder why they didn't release it earlier?
    FFS. Sturgeon is utterly corrupt
  • Options

Floater said:

Try it and see
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,364

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    You wore a hat.... indoors..?

Moderator - is there an appropriate punishment that can be levelled?
    Three consecutive life sentences in a small room at an Embassy, also inhabited by Julian Assange, Pier Corbyn and Piers Morgan. With only access to Conservative Home for entertainment. Only food is pizza on pineapple. Radiohead will be played non-stop.
This discussion has been closed.