Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

COVID vaccination – the extraordinary political divide in the US – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

This is the letter I was expecting to be released last night: https://gov.scot/binaries/conte

Scott_xP said:
    Interesting legal document finally released
    https://twitter.com/ComeToGhana/status/1367852707344683013
    Highlight:

https://twitter.com/ColSMal/status/1367864595101200388?s=20

Wonder why they didn't release it earlier?
    FFS. Sturgeon is utterly corrupt
    You think?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,834
    Floater said:

Leon said:

Mango said:

Cheers. That was where I was trying. I guess it's down to 55 now, so I have a little while longer to wait.

Thanks anyway.
    It's a GREAT feeling when you get the booking. FINALLY there is real light at the end of this fucking long tunnel, which now appears a lot shorter. In four weeks' time I will be largely protected from this hideous disease, and I will also be protecting my friends and family

I can do four weeks. I can hack that. One month to freedom

I wonder if it is this mood boost which is driving the Tories' soaring polling.

One of my first reactions to getting the booking was Well done the government (and well done the NHS). My attitude towards Boris and Co has not been exactly positive of late, as my comments have shown, but now I have something to be thankful for: because the UK government, for all its terrible errors, really nailed the vaccination drive, when other countries did not

I can see how this would lead to a surge in support for HMG, given that 20 million+ people have been through this same mood-booster.

I can ay my mood has been hugely lifted - and I wasn't aware of feeling in any way down
    I read my confirmatory email about 10 times. Smiling each time. I guess this rams home how much a year of imprisonment and fear has jailed us emotionally
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Under 60s seems now to be a thing (despite the wording still up on the NHS link).
    Just managed to book a vaccination for a week Saturday.

Thankyou!!

Just booked. Next Friday. Francis Crick Institute. I GET THE JABBB!!!!

REALLY efficient. Took 3 minutes. So impressive
    Next Friday's vaccination numbers are going to be HUUUGE... :wink:
    Is it perhaps over 55s now? Because I've tried a couple of times and got knocked back.
    The link that was posted earlier is apparently accepting them now:
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
    It still says over 60's?
    Ah, I was just going by what Leon implied earlier.
    You ignore that and push through. It worked for me. Got an appointment in seconds. Indeed I had a luxurious choice of jabbing centres, from Marylebone to Bloomsbury to the new Francis Crick Institute. I chose the last because it's an impressive building but I've never been inside

Life is returning!
    I've just got mine done there literally one hour ago. Left arm upper, administered by a quietly charismatic young woman who oozed low key professionalism. Nothing dramatic about it. No fireworks at all. Didn't even have to take my tweed cap off. I nevertheless felt a sense of occasion, I truly did. What a result. It's been emotional and it's almost over.
    You wore a hat.... indoors..?

Moderator - is there an appropriate punishment that can be levelled?
    Conhome?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

DougSeal said:

TimT said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

The Republican figure can be summed up as the people who most wanted slow and dangerous herd immunity through mass infections refusing instant and safe herd immunity via a vaccine. Contrarianism doesn't really pay when it comes to medical science.

To independent people, a state vaccine means you are on the list. They know you. They know you take vaccines. When the next vaccine comes long in six months, they want you to take it. If you don;t, they will want to know why.

Interesting. Did you develop these paranoid delusions before or after taking a vaccine?
    I haven;t taken a vaccine, my family haven't and I won't be taking one while the government is driving the whole thing. When I can get a vaccine on privately and confidentially, I may take one.

That will be my decision. Not Matt Hancock's. You want him to run your life for you, that is your affair.
    So you're not willing to take a safe and effective jab now in order to get us out of lockdown and put an end to the pandemic?

Thanks for finally making your position clear.
    There are conservatives in America who are not demanding you take a vaccine to get you out of lockdown. That is the kind of conservative I will be voting for in Britain . If I can find one.
    I didn't know we had an Anti-Vax Simpleton Party in this country. I suppose you could always start one yourself.
    It's such an odd thing to come into contact with one of the 5% of actual hardcore anti-vaxxers that doesn't post BTL on the Telegraph of Express.
    Dura Ace is antivax as well. Which is really odd as he seems of a scientific bent, and is obviously smart

Intelligence is not correlated with anti-vaxxery, perhaps it is inversely correlated. Smart people are more likely to be paranoid? Hmm....
    It's not down to Dura Ace being anti-vax. He's just a typical Leeds United fan - arrogantly thinks his body is able to fight anyone, anything, anywhere, any time.

I blame Don Revie.
    Sounds like a Jack Russell terrier; something for which to blame the clergy.
    It's a touch early to blame the clergy. Collectively they've sat on their hands for only 500 years of Sundays.
    Originally bred by the Rev. J. Russell.
    Who went to the same school I did. Although he was a few years ahead of me.
    The only remotely famous people who went to my school were Freddie Laker and Milo Yiannopoulos.
    I'm sorry to have to admit that Peter Bone went to the school which I did. However, it was after I did, so clearly standards had slipped!
    Sir Joshua Reynolds is the only other alum whose name might be known widely
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    TimT said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

The Republican figure can be summed up as the people who most wanted slow and dangerous herd immunity through mass infections refusing instant and safe herd immunity via a vaccine. Contrarianism doesn't really pay when it comes to medical science.

To independent people, a state vaccine means you are on the list. They know you. They know you take vaccines. When the next vaccine comes long in six months, they want you to take it. If you don;t, they will want to know why.

Interesting. Did you develop these paranoid delusions before or after taking a vaccine?
    I haven;t taken a vaccine, my family haven't and I won't be taking one while the government is driving the whole thing. When I can get a vaccine on privately and confidentially, I may take one.

That will be my decision. Not Matt Hancock's. You want him to run your life for you, that is your affair.
    So you're not willing to take a safe and effective jab now in order to get us out of lockdown and put an end to the pandemic?

There are conservatives in America who are not demanding you take a vaccine to get you out of lockdown. That is the kind of conservative I will be voting for in Britain . If I can find one.
    I didn't know we had an Anti-Vax Simpleton Party in this country. I suppose you could always start one yourself.
    It's such an odd thing to come into contact with one of the 5% of actual hardcore anti-vaxxers that doesn't post BTL on the Telegraph of Express.
    Dura Ace is antivax as well. Which is really odd as he seems of a scientific bent, and is obviously smart

Intelligence is not correlated with anti-vaxxery, perhaps it is inversely correlated. Smart people are more likely to be paranoid? Hmm....
    It's not down to Dura Ace being anti-vax. He's just a typical Leeds United fan - arrogantly thinks his body is able to fight anyone, anything, anywhere, any time.

I blame Don Revie.
    It's a touch early to blame the clergy. Collectively they've sat on their hands for only 500 years of Sundays.
    Blundell's?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Floater said:

DougSeal said:

TimT said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I blame Don Revie.
    The only remotely famous people who went to my school were Freddie Laker and Milo Yiannopoulos.
    I'm sorry to have to admit that Peter Bone went to the school which I did. However, it was after I did, so clearly standards had slipped!
    Do I recall you are an Ex Sinjun like myself?
    No, WHSfB
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Under 60s seems now to be a thing (despite the wording still up on the NHS link).

Thankyou!!

Is it perhaps over 55s now? Because I've tried a couple of times and got knocked back.
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
    It still says over 60's?
    You ignore that and push through. It worked for me. Got an appointment in seconds. Indeed I had a luxurious choice of jabbing centres, from Marylebone to Bloomsbury to the new Francis Crick Institute. I chose the last because it's an impressive building but I've never been inside

Life is returning!
    I've just got mine done there literally one hour ago. Left arm upper, administered by a quietly charismatic young woman who oozed low key professionalism. Nothing dramatic about it. No fireworks at all. Didn't even have to take my tweed cap off. I nevertheless felt a sense of occasion, I truly did. What a result. It's been emotional and it's almost over.

The tweed cap was used to hide his mullet.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56281064

An NHS England letter sent to GPs in mid-February says people who have "ever had an emergency asthma admission" to hospital fall into priority group six, which is currently being vaccinated.

Sonja Chenier, 47, from Colchester, has had three hospital admissions in the past 15 years and takes multiple medications daily for her asthma.

Her GP surgery told her she wasn't eligible for the vaccine yet because her hospital admissions weren't in the past year, and so "it wasn't relevant". She was told to expect a call for a vaccine along with her age group in around June.

So her GP
    i) Isn't following official advice
    ii) Thinks G40-49 will be done in June rather than May (Which is after G50-59).

It's really not on and one has to wonder if @Gallowgate GP is using a similar interpretation of official advice.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I blame Don Revie.
    Blundell's?
    Plympton Grammar. Established in 1671 by local philanthropist Eliza Hele. Samuel Reynolds was an early headmaster and Joshua Reynolds was born in the school house.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

This is the letter I was expecting to be released last night: https://gov.scot/binaries/conte

Scott_xP said:
    Highlight:

Unfortunately Mr and Mrs Murrell's behaviour has allowed Mr Salmond to paint himself as the victim of a grievous conspiracy against an incorruptible, morally upright citizen. A jury agreed with him, but...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,236
    Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!

Conhome?
    Great minds - see my reply below....
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729

Floater said:

So group 8 can now book their vaccines online and I’m (Group 6) still waiting for my GP to pull their finger out with mine ffs

Why cant you just use the website?
    It doesn’t let you if you’re in Group 6. It only filters by age I think...
    Strange - my wife booked on the website fine and she's group 6, so presumably something about GP's sending the NHS numbers of people through to NHS central database or whatever it is...
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Floater said:

So group 8 can now book their vaccines online and I’m (Group 6) still waiting for my GP to pull their finger out with mine ffs

Strange - my wife booked on the website fine and she's group 6, so presumably something about GP's sending the NHS numbers of people through to NHS central database or whatever it is...
    I think some GPs are more on top of it than others.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    Its a good few days ahead with schools and universities opening next week . Its a slight pity that the reason for elation on here from most seems to be because they are getting jabbed rather than kids being allowed to be educated again but that probably reflects the selfishness of people on politicalbetting and perhaps in wider society. Personally I will get a jab when its my turn (I am 51 so should not be long) but I cant say I will feel much when I do or obsess about when it will happen as I doubt I am much at risk from it and I personally have lived a large part of my expansive life compared to kids and young adults . Its those that i am happy for next week not some 60 year old that now can book a holiday but want to stop non vaccinated people from joining him on it
  • Options
    Deleted
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    GP says “Group 6 is a large category and we’re still going through it”. They confirmed Group 6 is being handled separately to the other categories which are being handled directly by NHS England.

Really begs the question what the point of Group 6 being where it is in the priority list to be honest.
  • Options
    Haven't the Chinese done the same regarding Hong Kong?

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1367875088662605826
  • Options

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Highlight:

Unfortunately Mr and Mrs Murrell's behaviour has allowed Mr Salmond to paint himself as the victim of a grievous conspiracy against an incorruptible, morally upright citizen. A jury agreed with him, but...
    And tactical voting against the SNP yesterday

https://twitter.com/bnhw_/status/1367864926954524681?s=19
  • Options
    edited March 2021

GP says “Group 6 is a large category and we’re still going through it”. They confirmed Group 6 is being handled separately to the other categories which are being handled directly by NHS England.

Really begs the question what the point of Group 6 being where it is in the priority list to be honest.

Hmm, I expect it'll get you in quicker than your age group (G12 ?) but not as fast as perhaps G7. Should have been called "Stream B" or some such.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    You were allowed to keep your cloth cap on? Were you allowed to take your whippet in with you too?
  • Options

Its a good few days ahead with schools and universities opening next week . Its a slight pity that the reason for elation on here from most seems to be because they are getting jabbed rather than kids being allowed to be educated again but that probably reflects the selfishness of people on politicalbetting and perhaps in wider society. Personally I will get a jab when its my turn (I am 51 so should not be long) but I cant say I will feel much when I do or obsess about when it will happen as I doubt I am much at risk from it and I personally have lived a large part of my expansive life compared to kids and young adults . Its those that i am happy for next week not some 60 year old that now can book a holiday but want to stop non vaccinated people from joining him on it

Or, we can be happy at both??

I am. I am very glad my daughter is going to school on Monday. It's good news

However, I am even more delighted that I am getting vaxxed next Friday, partly for purely selfish reasons - I don't want to die, but also because it means I cannot infect anyone else, esp those I love, but mainly, I reckon, because it's not until you get your own vaccination appointment that you personally feel this thing is coming to an end. Yes, I've seen the good numbers, but they are numbers. THIS is real, and happening to me.

And for that: thankyou God, the NHS, and Her Majesty's Government, and I am not sure I have ever thanked all three of those, in one go, before
  • Options

i think
    There is a help line you could call to book - 119 I think
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Highlight:

Sturgeon - ploughing on regardless.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm, I expect it'll get you in quicker than your age group (G12 ?) but not as fast as perhaps G7. Should have been called "Stream B" or some such.
    Well if those under 60 can now book online that means G8 are now being done...
  • Options
    Floater said:

i think
    Just to say here in Essex I have had a 28 yo son vaccinated (high risk due to medical conditions) and..... an 18 yo whose sole reason for being called in was he has Aspergers.
  • Options
    Apparently there’s 2,000 group 6s just at my practice. But what I don’t understand is if they know the number, why cant they just batch export the NHS numbers to NHS England to be handled by the central database
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    edited March 2021

MaxPB said:

Read my posts. I am not anti-vaccine. I am anti lockdown. By all means take a vaccine. They are safe and lovely and they work really, really well. I would never try to dissaude someone from taking a vaccine.
    So you aren't anti-vaxxer but you're not taking the vaccine? Schrödinger's anti-vaxxer?
    read my posts. I may take the vaccine when I get it from a private medical source, in my own time.
    Totally up to you. I'm not one to get too animated about vaccine refusers since we'll get enough macro immunity from the willing to kill the pandemic. Also part of the joy of getting back to normal is that it will be normal, and normal does not entail getting hyper concerned about what medication other people are on.

I nevertheless do not get you. Not that you don't see it as a public duty, whereas most do, I get that. You are not a publicly spirited person and do not claim to be. So that's bang on brand. And who's to say when an action becomes a duty anyway? People have differing views on this. It's a tricky area.

What I don't get is why you - as a 'me me me' person - don't want a vaccine asap for YOURSELF. This can be a very nasty disease if you catch it. Huge amounts of money and time have been invested in order to manufacture the protection. It's safe, it all but eliminates your PERSONAL covid risk, and it's free of charge. Costs you nothing at all.

Yet you pass. This is irrational judged by your own profile. You're not a softhead who thinks it will be used to track you. You don't believe all that shit. So it just makes no sense to pass. You're looking a gift horse in the mouth. Only a dummy does that, which you aren't. Dummies don't get to be as successful as you are in life.

So here's my conclusion. I think you are either lying for effect (and will get it) or you are sulking about things not going the way you'd like them to and are reacting with some truculent self-harm. Bit like when Trump lost you started saying the GOP will never ever win again and it's all over for America as we know it. I'm losing so I'm not playing anymore. It's all just stupid and I can't be bothered. With US elections. With the vaccine.

I think it's one of those. I won't say which since I have it as about a 50/50.

No charge for that piece of bespoke psychoanalysis. I considered it my duty and in any case quite enjoyed it. :smile:
  • Options

Apparently there’s 2,000 group 6s just at my practice. But what I don’t understand is if they know the number, why cant they just batch export the NHS numbers to NHS England to be handled by the central database

They want there £13.50 a jab or whatever it is they get!
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398

You, unfortunately, have much to learn about (problems with) data flows in the NHS :wink:

(I've been pleasantly surprised at how well everything has been working, so far)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,121

Can you not book online? Do you have to wait for the GP?
  • Options
    ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174
    I'm with Cookie on this ...

I really struggle to come to terms with what a UK government has done since March last year.

It seems to me the lockdown response is a wildly disproportionate response to the problem being addressed and it scares me that questioning the impact of the policy on the economy, on the young, on our individual freedoms or suggesting an alternative approach (e.g. Sweden) is given such short shrift or indeed ridiculed.

That the UK government has seen fit to terrify the populace into acquiescence makes me question their motives, which these days would have me labelled a conspiracy theorist. While I marvel at the brilliance of the vaccine scientists, expressing concerns about the speed of vaccine development and approval has one castigated as an 'anti-vaxxer'. I'm not, of course, and I will have the vaccine when offered but I won't be joyful or relieved or proud or forever grateful to 'our wonderful NHS'. No, I'll have it because it's the only way out of this nightmare but I also want the government to know that I'm really not impressed with being treated as a naughty schoolchild through all of this.

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of being manipulated by its 'behavioral psychologists' and I worry about the lack of diversity of opinion among the governments scientific advisors. The power these unaccountable people have is truly worrying.

So, what's the government up to? Is it simply doing it's best having made a political decision that one death to COVID is too many? Probably ... but why take that approach with COVID in the first place? Did they simply panic back in March last year? Are they too proud to change tack? Probably.

But what now? Can we ever go back to they way things were? No, I don't think so. COVID has proved that we can be cowed into submission if we are frightened enough and if we are thrown the odd sweetie to keep us distracted ... Netflix, Premier League, take-away McDonalds. Any future government that wants to achieve some policy objective (climate change anyone) knows the playbook now and that makes me genuinely fearful for the future of our country.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Floater said:

Floater said:

i think
    Just to say here in Essex I have had a 28 yo son vaccinated (high risk due to medical conditions) and..... an 18 yo whose sole reason for being called in was he has Aspergers.
    It is quite surprising how many people I interact with under 40 who have had their first jab. Is there a calculation of how much double counting there is between the 1-9 groups and phase 2?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,941
    Floater said:

Floater said:

i think
    My eldest 21 with Aspergers will be done on Monday.
    Ironically, as the one most likely to die from it, the best I can now do is bronze medal in my family of 4.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

Bigger picture.

Every person who gets vaccinated now is helping to further fray the link between cases and hospitalisations - more and more beyond how it has already frayed with the vaccinations to date.

They mean that when the Government take a look at the data three weeks after schools go back, they're less and less likely to worry if cases do go up (as hospitalisations are less and less likely to go up with them) and therefore less and less likely to u-turn on either schools opening or further pushing the roadmap forwards.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

malcolmg said:
    Has Salmond been crowd-funding again? 😀
    He is doing it the proper way, as they publish each document it gets clearer and clearer.

Wow so JM (Judith McKinnon) stated on oath she couldn’t remember the meeting ?!?
    They can’t rest on pleadings that ‘we know to be untrue’!!?
    What on earth goes on in the government

• Options
    Leon said:

However, I am even more delighted that I am getting vaxxed next Friday, partly for purely selfish reasons - I don't want to die, but also because it means I cannot infect anyone else, esp those I love, but mainly, I reckon, because it's not until you get your own vaccination appointment that you personally feel this thing is coming to an end. Yes, I've seen the good numbers, but they are numbers. THIS is real, and happening to me.

And for that: thankyou God, the NHS, and Her Majesty's Government, and I am not sure I have ever thanked all three of those, in one go, before
    Offtopic (and I may regret starting a theological debate) but if you thank God for the vaccine, do you also blame God for the virus?

I'm agnostic and I'm happy to let people go with the non-interventionist free-will interpretation of God (not to blame for virus, not credited for vaccine), but it seems inconsistent to me if the answer is 'no'.
  • Options

Many on here might be surprised at how mercenary some GP's can be.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    That's wonderful, although how one 'oozes' low key professionalism I have no idea.
    Yes. Low key professionalism is quite common but very few ooze it. That's the point.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    In August 2007 Cameron led Brown 42-31 on "Who has got the most personality?" (IPSOS-MORI), Starmer trails Boris by 42 points (67-25) in their latest survey (Sep 2020)

That is the difference.

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1367546498523742211?s=20
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    Congratulations! If in two weeks you're on here with Union Jacks in your avatar telling us that Maggie wasn't all bad really, we'll know that the jab's working as intended...
    That is one side effect that I would find very hard to tolerate.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884

I'm in Group 6 (carer, rather than vulnerable) and am being done tomorrow.

If I hadn't gently reminded the GP when carting one of the cared for to an appointment I suspect I'd have been missed off. They sat on the form which told them I was a carer for about 8 months without processing it. I've actually been doing the job for years without telling them formally but thought I'd better register last year because I guessed that there might be a vaccine priority list.

I think this pandemic has revealed that there is very much a postcode lottery when it comes to GPs. Some have not been terribly efficient. The speed of the overall vaccine programme has hidden this to some extent, but it is definitely an issue.

Do keep hassling them.

On another note, for those with booked appointments - be prepared to get even more paranoid in the days prior to your jab. After all, it would be daft to catch the lurgy with only a few days to go...
  • Options

Where in the Salmond timeline is 17 December 2018? How much longer did the case go on after Roddy Dunlop QC & Co described it as "ploughing on regardless"?

Collapsed in January I believe but he was saying ever more vehemently from October that it was getting dodgier and dodgier

Nicola Sturgeon received legal advice that her Government would lose in court to Alex Salmond months before blowing £692,000 fighting his judicial review.

Scotland’s most senior lawyer Roddy Dunlop QC was asked for an opinion on the former first minister’s challenge to a sexual harassment probe in October 2018, the Sunday Mail understands.

Sources have confirmed his response was that the former SNP leader would be likely to win. But the Scottish Government rejected the advice on October 31 and forged ahead with the case – before conceding in January 2019 at a huge cost to taxpayers.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633
    Wow, they really are paranoid

The city's heavily pro-Beijing electoral committee would get new powers over the parliament, or Legislative Council (LegCo).

It's kind of incredible that the Chinese government felt the need to change what was already an electoral system heavily rigged in favour of the pro-Beijing camp.

With only half the members of the territory's mini parliament directly elected, and the other half installed by political allies, why the change?

Now, after the coming electoral "rebuild" is ushered in... there won't be even the pretence of democratic elections in Hong Kong.

An election committee - controlled by Beijing - will not only screen all candidates standing in elections, but also directly appoint "a large proportion" of the Legislative Council.

It will be almost impossible for any candidate advocating democratic change to be elected to office - and that's the way China's senior leadership likes it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56264117

In all seriousness, why even bother with elections at this point? They aren't fooliing anyone, and they know they are't fooling anyone, so why the pretence?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Maybe not the reaction the Sussexes were hoping for:

https://twitter.com/megynkelly/status/1367879121041301507?s=20
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!

Yes, I know. Poor show. But my hair is of a length and state that simply cannot be revealed in public.
  • Options

Apologies, I had to deal with a courier, which meant I couldn't remedy the egregious there/their typo within the allotted six minutes timeline.

*goes to collect birch twigs for the self-flagellation....*

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:
    He is doing it the proper way, as they publish each document it gets clearer and clearer.

Wow so JM (Judith McKinnon) stated on oath she couldn’t remember the meeting ?!?

How the F does the SG survive this. It is now slam dunk. Everything Salmond said was right. I don't understand. There is no longer any ambiguity here.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,248
    edited March 2021
    Have been, er, busy today so missed the @contrarian shenanigans.

Whatever the merits of his position, I continually find it interesting if not disappointing that there is such instant animosity and dismissal of his views. He is entitled not to want a jab because that's the country we live in. Or used to.

How we all laughed and pointed fingers when the Chinese announced that people wouldn't be allowed to leave HK and lo and behold our govt is making us fill out forms before we go abroad to see if we are going when it's not allowed. Just ponder that. Today we can't go to see our dying parents at home. By law.

Ponder also the year of unprecedented restrictions of liberty, the damage done to so many physically, psychologically and economically by the govt.

Now, there are good reasons for all of it. But for PB, that group of independent, free-thinking types, the falling in behind the government's every move has been an eye-opener.

Everyone has their red lines. @contrarian has his and others have theirs. Some had theirs tested the other day when it was mooted that restrictions would be based on cases and lockdown wouldn't end until these were low. In the end the govt has now set a date when all restrictions will be lifted. But if it hadn't, then that would have been cheered by many on here also.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    Well done.
    As well as being pleased that you're now developing antibodies, you have done something slightly brave for the rest of us. So you're emotional reaction is quite justified.
    Every story I hear like this makes me a little bit emotional. People bravely doing something public spirited to bring the end closer.
    Pleased you managed to carry it out in style.
    That's a most kind comment, thank you.
  • Options
    I think the Gov'ts experience with Group 6 in phase 1 is why they've gone strictly by age for phase 2.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Whatever the merits of his position, I continually find it interesting if not disappointing that there is such instant animosity and dismissal of his views.

How we all laughed and pointed fingers when the Chinese announced that people wouldn't be allowed to leave HK and lo and behold our govt is making us fill out forms before we go abroad to see if we are going when it's not allowed. Just ponder that. Today we can't go to see our dying parents at home. By law.

Ponder also the year of unprecedented restrictions of liberty, the damage done to so many physically, psychologically and economically by the govt.

Now, there are good reasons for all of it. But for PB, that group of independent, free-thinking types, the falling in behind the government's every move has been an eye-opener.

Everyone has their red lines. @contrarian has his and others have theirs. Some had theirs tested the other day when it was mooted that restrictions would be based on cases and lockdown wouldn't end until these were low. In the end the govt has now set a date when all restrictions will be lifted. But if it hadn't, then that would have been cheered by many on here also.

I have explicitly said I believe his choice is fair. If he's not harming anyone else, go for it.

Still quite odd, however, for the reasons kinabalu sketches. But that is not a criticism just an opinion
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Whatever the merits of his position, I continually find it interesting if not disappointing that there is such instant animosity and dismissal of his views. He is entitled not to want a jab because that's the country we live in. Or used to.

You write that, but isn't it much more likely to be a phone app ?
  • Options

Harry and Meghan say they left the royal family because they had so much to offer the world, so much they could say. But apparently all they have to talk about is themselves

Even if that is an unfair summary, certainly they appear to get a lot more attention about talking about themselves or other royals rather than the things they are presumably interested in.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    German states seem to have decided that rising case numbers can be managed - the calculation seems to be that death and hospitalisation rates won't jump because the most vulnerable are being vaccinated and treatments are improving. Hospitals and ICU never looked like being overwhelmed, and people are fed up with the damage done to lives business and education, so there will be a gradual easing of lockdown measures rather than tightening, no matter that case numbers are rising.
    I'm not sure this is wise but it's understandable.
    Meanwhile lots of lives could probably be saved by concentrating on getting a first vaccine dose to as many people as possible and worrying about booster shots later.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

It's a fine for leaving the country for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Offtopic (and I may regret starting a theological debate) but if you thank God for the vaccine, do you also blame God for the virus?

I'm agnostic and I'm happy to let people go with the non-interventionist free-will interpretation of God (not to blame for virus, not credited for vaccine), but it seems inconsistent to me if the answer is 'no'.
    Whilst not wishing to get into is GOD good ,bad or just flawed debate (or if he even exists) I do think the real people to thank for the vaccine (scientists , even god forbid, Big Pharma, distribution workers and of course jabbers) will get less proportionate credit than they deserve in a society that is obsessed not by the boring but competent but by crap like is Meghan Markle a bully or bullied? etc . I am sure we will still give the vast amount of gongs to people who dont deserve it but are good at kicking a ball or saying a soundbite or tweet or climbing a greasy career pole .
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Whatever the merits of his position, I continually find it interesting if not disappointing that there is such instant animosity and dismissal of his views.

I have explicitly said I believe his choice is fair. If he's not harming anyone else, go for it.

Still quite odd, however, for the reasons kinabalu sketches. But that is not a criticism just an opinion
    He says he will get the jab in his own time if it's not govt-related.

Perhaps he is sick to death and has had enough of the government regulating every single element of our lives including when we can walk outside our front door and who we can sleep with for the past year.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    So you didn't donate your dose to the EU then?
    I didn't, Max, as it turned out. And it was the Oxford one too, so I had to banish all thoughts of President Emmanuel Macron of France as I sat there waiting.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

It is quite impressive to not remember the meeting, rather than not remember the details of the meeting.

Also, seems a bit concerning that the lawyer had to remind them again about apparent vs actual bias.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Perhaps he is sick to death and has had enough of the government regulating every single element of our lives including when we can walk outside our front door and who we can sleep with for the past year.
    hear hear
  • Options
    kamski said:

German states seem to have decided that rising case numbers can be managed - the calculation seems to be that death and hospitalisation rates won't jump because the most vulnerable are being vaccinated and treatments are improving. Hospitals and ICU never looked like being overwhelmed, and people are fed up with the damage done to lives business and education, so there will be a gradual easing of lockdown measures rather than tightening, no matter that case numbers are rising.
    I'm not sure this is wise but it's understandable.
    Meanwhile lots of lives could probably be saved by concentrating on getting a first vaccine dose to as many people as possible and worrying about booster shots later.

Sounds very sensible.

Save lives while minimising damage otherwise.
  • Options

I'm in Group 6 (carer, rather than vulnerable) and am being done tomorrow.

If I hadn't gently reminded the GP when carting one of the cared for to an appointment I suspect I'd have been missed off. They sat on the form which told them I was a carer for about 8 months without processing it. I've actually been doing the job for years without telling them formally but thought I'd better register last year because I guessed that there might be a vaccine priority list.

I think this pandemic has revealed that there is very much a postcode lottery when it comes to GPs. Some have not been terribly efficient. The speed of the overall vaccine programme has hidden this to some extent, but it is definitely an issue.

Do keep hassling them.

On another note, for those with booked appointments - be prepared to get even more paranoid in the days prior to your jab. After all, it would be daft to catch the lurgy with only a few days to go...
    My surgery is known to be light years ahead of the others in the area. When we moved in to this house and signed up with them, our neighbours were incredulous. "How the HELL did you wangle that?" The surgery have since admitted they rather cocked-up in taking us on by saying we can't have home visits, but we'll live with that for now anyway.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Well it is a very odd way of drawing the line to not do what the government suggests, bearing in mind it is not mandating the jab. And when he is whigning about lockdown all the time and thus relying on everyone else to follow government suggestion and provision, so that he does not have to.

He doesn't want to have 'the government' do it, fine, regardless of whether that makes sense in terms of it, you know, protecting him. But enough of this playing the hero as though its a moral failing of others to, non bindingly, decide that with all else we entrust in government, they can know if we've had a jab.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

Harry and Meghan say they left the royal family because they had so much to offer the world, so much they could say. But apparently all they have to talk about is themselves

Even if that is an unfair summary, certainly they appear to get a lot more attention about talking about themselves or other royals rather than the things they are presumably interested in.
    Prediction: they are going to end up massively unpopular. Always famous, but really disliked by many, as his boyish charm disappears, and her beauty fades. Because that is what they are trading in now. The Bitcoin of celebrity.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,941
    Pulpstar said:

I think the Gov'ts experience with Group 6 in phase 1 is why they've gone strictly by age for phase 2.

There were similar issues with Group 2 health workers, particularly the self-employed.
    Age is something the NHS knows only too well. Name? Date of Birth?
    That's what they ask.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,121
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

But the weird thing is he isn't against having the jab, he's against having the NHS give it to him. So he's not anti-vax, just anti NHS, presumably because data or something. Up to him, sure, but I believe we all have a role to play in keeping others safe, and the extension of this is get the vaccine when offered.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

It's a fine for leaving the country for the wrong reasons.
    I remember Farage mooching about the "Government demanding 'papers' when in fact it would likely be an ID card that was needed.
    I get the feeling that forms/papers are used by people wanting to mentally invoke the Ordnungspolizei trope.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    "charismatic young woman who oozed" will be the one Leon wants.....
    Only if he likes low key professionalism. I do, but that's just me.
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How the F does the SG survive this. It is now slam dunk. Everything Salmond said was right. I don't understand. There is no longer any ambiguity here.
    It never mattered if Salmond was entirely right or not. It mattered whether the SNP would care if he was entirely right or not. Unless they looked like they would suffer electorally, why would they care?

Standard governing party entitlement, seen the world over if they can get away with it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    Only if he likes low key professionalism. I do, but that's just me.
    I'm actually going to say: "Can I have the girl that oozes"?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    I see the video clip of the 50 ways tonnot answer /claim no knowledge of/couldn't remember.. from the evidence of the First Minister is doing the rounds. I have received it at least 5 times so far.... its difficult not to concede that she was being shifty evasive...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm still half convinced he is happy about that because it can be used to show people he is not some always slick politician, that he is human and awkward too.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, it's clear that any complexity more than age is very difficult to organise. Even with this where they have the data within the NHS wrt medical records there's too much complexity. Now add in contacting everyone under 50 and asking them what their job is or contacting companies and asking for employment information and getting employee consent for data sharing etc...

It's a complete non-starter.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    You were allowed to keep your cloth cap on? Were you allowed to take your whippet in with you too?
    My cloth cap is more Brideshead Ryder than Andy Capp - I like to imagine.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Pulpstar said:

Lennon said:

Floater said:

I think some GPs are more on top of it than others.
    My excellent GP

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    Mt clinic was coordinated by a freelancing beautician...
  • Options

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Whilst not wishing to get into is GOD good ,bad or just flawed debate (or if he even exists) I do think the real people to thank for the vaccine (scientists , even god forbid, Big Pharma, distribution workers and of course jabbers) will get less proportionate credit than they deserve in a society that is obsessed not by the boring but competent but by crap like is Meghan Markle a bully or bullied? etc . I am sure we will still give the vast amount of gongs to people who dont deserve it but are good at kicking a ball or saying a soundbite or tweet or climbing a greasy career pole .
    Amen to that :wink:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, it's clear that any complexity more than age is very difficult to organise. Even with this where they have the data within the NHS wrt medical records there's too much complexity. Now add in contacting everyone under 50 and asking them what their job is or contacting companies and asking for employment information and getting employee consent for data sharing etc...

It's a complete non-starter.
    The special pleading from various professions too... a headache the Gov't can do without.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Prediction: they are going to end up massively unpopular. Always famous, but really disliked by many, as his boyish charm disappears, and her beauty fades. Because that is what they are trading in now. The Bitcoin of celebrity.
    That would be a shame, but I just can't see what the endgame here is for them - their status is because they are royals, and while there'll always be a market for 'the royals who slag off/speak the truth about the other royals', that's pretty exhausing and surely not what they want to spend their time on for decades to come? And that they want attention at all means they don't wish to just sit back and enjoy their wealth and family, so what's the next move?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2021
    Oh no don't say that Hancock.....

He just said 2 weeks, UoB study shows you are 80% covered against hospitalisations.

You know everybody will now take it that being careful for 2 weeks is more than enough. a weeks enough right....

Prof Penfold message last week was far better, a month, you need at least a month...
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!
    So you didn't donate your dose to the EU then?
    I didn't, Max, as it turned out. And it was the Oxford one too, so I had to banish all thoughts of President Emmanuel Macron of France as I sat there waiting.
    Welcome to the Self-Preservation Society... :wink:
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

That would be a shame, but I just can't see what the endgame here is for them - their status is because they are royals, and while there'll always be a market for 'the royals who slag off/speak the truth about the other royals', that's pretty exhausing and surely not what they want to spend their time on for decades to come? And that they want attention at all means they don't wish to just sit back and enjoy their wealth and family, so what's the next move?
    Who cares
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

/

Mango said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Thankyou!!

It still says over 60's?

Life is returning!

Yes, I know. Poor show. But my hair is of a length and state that simply cannot be revealed in public.
    I forgive you my son.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Highlight:

Is this teeth pulled from Sturgeon, or the Salmond solicitor route?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

hear hear
    That's the logic of a literal child. I don't like this one thing, so I will reject this other thing even though it helps me.

There are a lot of things to push back on in relation to the laws and restrictions we have had imposed (notably vaccines are not one of those impositions). How does petulantly refusing a vaccine sooner because it comes from the government achieve that?

Frankly it would make more sense to be an anti-vaxxer than be 'I'm for a vaccine, just not right now thanks, but also hurry up and remove all the restrictions, so no one else do what I am doing'.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Who cares
    Evidently lots of people since it will be all over the news whatever they do. May as well go with the flow.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

They are currently slightly protected by lockdowns. She is going to hate being on the standard tabloid “get a snap of her sunbathing” list. So is he. And as for the kids....

The Royal Family can pull in favours they now can’t.
This discussion has been closed.