Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The big vaccine divide: The UK’s approach is politician led while the EU’s is run by its officers –

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,683

Boris needs to call an emergency EU-UK summit. It's in no one's interest to let Covid run rampant throughout mainland Europe. He holds all the cards! This could be the Churchill moment he's dreamed of all his life.

According to Euro news UVDL has gone to ground
    I thought she had just been replaced as EU Commission President (?)
  • Options
    MattW said:

Boris needs to call an emergency EU-UK summit. It's in no one's interest to let Covid run rampant throughout mainland Europe. He holds all the cards! This could be the Churchill moment he's dreamed of all his life.

According to Euro news UVDL has gone to ground
    I thought she had just been replaced as EU Commission President (?)
    She may well be shortly
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Re: GameStop (or whatever you call it) there was some hilarity on PB re: Massachusetts Secretary of State Bill Galvin calling for US SEC to suspend trading, because he said this was "speculating not investing" or words to that effect.

BUT do PBers think that what Galvin is suggesting, is in fact a good idea, in this instance?

And shorting the stock is, what?

It ain't investing. I can tell you that much.

And I bet there are plenty of CEOs out there, some running companies that are still very much in business, who have been victims of short seller attacks. The hedge funds short the stock, the adverse press stories about the company go round and down she goes.

If I was the US government, I would be careful of letting the narrative the SYSTEM is rigged against you getting around a bigger audience than it already has.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Looks like that ward currently has 3 of the total 4 LDs on that authority - could be a tricky fight!
    If Dublin has an Irish Chinese Lord Mayor, then if they want, Bury can have an Anglo Korean councilor.
  • Options
    Would the remainiacs now refuse an EU flagged vaccine, as that would obviously be "unfairly" taking supply that was intended for one of their fellow Europeans?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,544

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

“ Downing Street has refused to rule out the possibility of the UK sending vaccine supplies to the EU once the most vulnerable people in the UK have been vaccinated, assuming the timetable to vaccinate other adults by September stays on track. “

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jan/28/uk-covid-live-coronavirus-boris-johnson-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-vaccine-travel-quarantine-latest-updates

Do it Boris. Don’t listen to the rabid anti Christian ravers on PB. Their only religion is frothed up hatred of EU, that’s not Brexit is it?

Once vulnerable people in UK have been jabbed, share it Boris.

Keep your religion in your church please.

I think you'll find everyone here said that the EU getting doses once everyone in the UK has had it would be fair enough. You were saying to do it before vaccinations here are completed.
    Agreed. Once our over 60s and potentially then key workers are done I would understand if vaccines for the likes of myself were diverted to help priority groups in Europe.
    When I said completed I meant completed. Everyone done.
    Insisting on everyone in one country being done before the vulnerable elsewhere is exactly the sort of vaccine nationalism that will prolong the pandemic.
    No, quite the opposite.

We should be aiming to be 'zero Covid, zero restrictions' - domestically at least. We know that vaccinating yourself not just helps you but helps build herd immunity to protect others.

Once the vaccine program here is complete we can start to rebuild and move on, and be able to afford to help others with our aid and generosity.

Only doing half a job will make us more vulnerable to a third wave and set everything back as well as risking those vulnerable who either can't get the vaccine or for whom it doesn't take.
    This is not the view of the professionals in the field.
    *citation required*

(and Bodie and Doyle will not do....)
    Quite - you'd need sign off by Cowley for it to mean anything.
  • Options
    MattW said:

I am not sure that the comparison in the header really works, as the EU is at least reasonably similar in its role to the technocrats running things in the UK rollout.

I am sure that when Member Countries get jabbing, national politicians will be all over it.

Germany has done well over a million jags, how many Foto ops have German pols done?
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

On topic. I genuinely don't believe the EU would be that dumb. For all that I wanted Britain out, I don't in anyway underrate the bureaucrats in Brussels. Just look at the way they ran rings around May and Johnson (and Cameron before that).

I think there is a fair bit of political posturing by those in the Commission who can't forget how to be politicians but I also suspect that calmer heads in the bureaucracy will eventually prevail.

What Johnson needs to do is exactly what he has been doing which is play it down, make conciliatory and neutral noises and keep his cabinet and MPs in line. For once he is on the right side of this argument and he can stay there by making sure it is between AZ and the EU and not between the UK and the EU.

Good post Richard. I know we disagree of the B word, but I think you are absolutely right here. The EU don't have reason to care much about their image in the UK (some may argue they never did), so their posturing is for consumption in the EU27. The reality is that the pharma industry isn't well liked (which I think is undeserved) and the UK isn't exactly popular with many continentals. Their position is therefore unlikely to be politically damaging for their domestic audience. It is a spat and it will pass, and as you say, the right position for our government is to let it blow over
    Yes, I agree with this to some degree. The threats of export bans just don't seem realistic, but it's just awful rhetoric and blame shifting. The UK government is definitely taking the right stance, just ignore it and let it burn itself out after a few days. Let AZ and the EU sort it out in the courts if they must. All the while Kwasi should be getting every pharma CEO on the phone. This is going to happen again with Novavax which has already commenced manufacturing in the UK with an integrated UK supply chain and it will be just as unedifying.
    Much as some may hope it, pharma CEOs wont be too concerned about this. They deal with political pressure and willy waving from governments, including our own, all the time.
    Including export bans? I wonder how the Pfizer CEO feels, or the Israeli government for that matter.
    The point being there has not been an export ban. Nigel is referring to the threats which are indeed just willy waving. Calmer heads will prevail.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

On topic. I genuinely don't believe the EU would be that dumb. For all that I wanted Britain out, I don't in anyway underrate the bureaucrats in Brussels. Just look at the way they ran rings around May and Johnson (and Cameron before that).

I think there is a fair bit of political posturing by those in the Commission who can't forget how to be politicians but I also suspect that calmer heads in the bureaucracy will eventually prevail.

What Johnson needs to do is exactly what he has been doing which is play it down, make conciliatory and neutral noises and keep his cabinet and MPs in line. For once he is on the right side of this argument and he can stay there by making sure it is between AZ and the EU and not between the UK and the EU.

Good post Richard. I know we disagree of the B word, but I think you are absolutely right here. The EU don't have reason to care much about their image in the UK (some may argue they never did), so their posturing is for consumption in the EU27. The reality is that the pharma industry isn't well liked (which I think is undeserved) and the UK isn't exactly popular with many continentals. Their position is therefore unlikely to be politically damaging for their domestic audience. It is a spat and it will pass, and as you say, the right position for our government is to let it blow over
    Yes, I agree with this to some degree. The threats of export bans just don't seem realistic, but it's just awful rhetoric and blame shifting. The UK government is definitely taking the right stance, just ignore it and let it burn itself out after a few days. Let AZ and the EU sort it out in the courts if they must. All the while Kwasi should be getting every pharma CEO on the phone. This is going to happen again with Novavax which has already commenced manufacturing in the UK with an integrated UK supply chain and it will be just as unedifying.
    Much as some may hope it, pharma CEOs wont be too concerned about this. They deal with political pressure and willy waving from governments, including our own, all the time.
    Including export bans? I wonder how the Pfizer CEO feels, or the Israeli government for that matter.
    The point being there has not been an export ban. Nigel is referring to the threats which are indeed just willy waving. Calmer heads will prevail.
    That's almost certainly true, but the same thinking would have precluded the level of waving willies even having reached this point.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

One hopes so though it's concerning in the media the calls for an export ban have been coming primarily from the Germans.

Normally the Germans are the calmer heads on the continent. If they go off half cocked then who is the calmer head to step in and say no?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,313
    edited January 2021

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

“ Downing Street has refused to rule out the possibility of the UK sending vaccine supplies to the EU once the most vulnerable people in the UK have been vaccinated, assuming the timetable to vaccinate other adults by September stays on track. “

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jan/28/uk-covid-live-coronavirus-boris-johnson-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-vaccine-travel-quarantine-latest-updates

Do it Boris. Don’t listen to the rabid anti Christian ravers on PB. Their only religion is frothed up hatred of EU, that’s not Brexit is it?

I think you'll find everyone here said that the EU getting doses once everyone in the UK has had it would be fair enough. You were saying to do it before vaccinations here are completed.
    Agreed. Once our over 60s and potentially then key workers are done I would understand if vaccines for the likes of myself were diverted to help priority groups in Europe.
    Insisting on everyone in one country being done before the vulnerable elsewhere is exactly the sort of vaccine nationalism that will prolong the pandemic.
    Er, what? I'm happy to wait until older and more vulnerable Britons have been protected, but no way am I waiting until all those groups in the entire EU have been done! There's altruism, and then there's masochistic martyrdom.
    A natural enough impulse but the decision makers will hopefully be more far-sighted. From each according to their abilities. To each according to their needs. This must be more than a platitude on the global vaccination. It must be the guiding spirit. Otherwise forget about getting out of this before many more years have passed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

That's almost certainly true, but the same thinking would have precluded the level of waving willies even having reached this point.
    Which was my point. I don't think the UK government has ever threatened export bans.
  • Options

Not normally, but if this is war then we need to do what we need to do.

If we are attacked it is.

You lefties never got your head around MAD, did you? We should not be the aggressor but if we are struck, we should strike back.

make it politely known that we know the EU won't attempt to steal our vaccines we've paid for because the consequences would be horrendous for everyone

We need not play along with the histrionics and drama emanating from the Continent

Good of you to provide some examples of histrionics and drama in the lead in.
  • Options

Leon said:

I have decided to form the PB Rifles, modelled on the Artists Rifles, for the forthcoming actual vaccine war with Brussels.

Form an orderly line. I promise rations of excellent wine

https://www.nam.ac.uk/whats-on/artists-artists-rifles

Might I suggest, that like your famous namesake, you get a fleet of armored trains, to chug across the continental landscape?
    Armoured, Nuclear Powered, Steam Trains.........

Or maybe this -

If that was MY car think I'd be stepping on the gas just about now . . .
    It's a 2CV. Going downhill. It is already at terminal velocity.....
    Wonder if the car driver's got one of those side-mirrors that says "things may appear larger" or whatever?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

I have to say that it is completely bemusing to see people who have bemoaned the problems in the UK for the past year to now that something is going smoothly (due to good planning) be immediately calling for the good work of this country to be pooled with other rich countries that tried to get through this on the cheap.

When people were dying in the UK I don't recall suggestions the EU would or should help us?

We absolutely should give aid to the rest of the world, starting with Africa. Getting ourselves done must be the priority.

If the situation were reversed, there would be untold pressure on the PM to resign by now, led by those wishing us to rejoin the EU.
  • Options
    Some HYUFDesque guff emanating from this prospective Con candidate.

https://twitter.com/CJCHowarth/status/1354854355426533379?s=20
  • Options
    Reuters reckons Wall Street losses from short selling could be USD70bn....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Er, what? I'm happy to wait until older and more vulnerable Britons have been protected, but no way am I waiting until all those groups in the entire EU have been done! There's altruism, and then there's masochistic martyrdom.
    A natural enough impulse but the decision makers will hopefully be more far-sighted. From each according to their abilities. To each according to their needs. This must be more than a platitude on the global vaccination. It must be the guiding spirit. Otherwise forget about getting out of this before many more years have passed.
    In your world do we have to wait for Germany to vax all over 65s with Pfizer before we're allowed to vax the rest of ours with AZ?
  • Options

Wow, that's nuts!
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

One hopes so though it's concerning in the media the calls for an export ban have been coming primarily from the Germans.

Normally the Germans are the calmer heads on the continent. If they go off half cocked then who is the calmer head to step in and say no?
    The French / Macron is normally the one having to be calmed down. He has commented on the situation?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

No way - we get all our people done first and then we can be as generous to the rest of the world as we like. Making younger people wait any longer than they are due to already would be a catastrophic mistake, and I hope the government won't be stupid enough to make it.
  • Options
    Mother of God is that the needle for the covid jab? :D
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Can we charge Nicola Sturgeon with treason? She's a risk to Scotland's health.

Nicola Sturgeon has been accused of undermining efforts to prevent the European Union from taking UK-bound vaccines by threatening to publish details of confidential supplies.

The UK government wants to keep secret how many doses are being delivered to avoid aggravating tensions with other nations struggling to secure vaccines.

The row with the European Commission and Astrazeneca over reduced deliveries, thought to total between 60 to 75 million doses, has shown the acute sensitivity of the issue. The commission suspects Astrazeneca of giving Britain preferential treatment and ordered inspections of its Belgium plant to check its claim that there was a production problem.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sturgeon-threatens-to-publish-supply-data-in-eu-astrazeneca-vaccine-row-9t5c2xsx8

Neil Oliver reckons that men in the constituency Sturgeon represents have a lower average lifespan than those in sub-Saharan Africa.
    How would that tosser know from his perch in London.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Expropriating the means of production for the greater good? Are these people completely mental?
    Apparently it would show the EU's "strength and reliability".
    https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1354842798848151554
    That is, in all essence, war.

Seize vaccines made in the EU but legally contracted to the UK, so they can be given to EU citizens. At the same time demand that the British hand over British made vaccines contracted to Britain, so they can also be given to EU citizens, not to Brits.

Thus ensuring that more British people die, and fewer Europeans die.

If that isn't war-like hostility - you must die so that we can live - what is? You might as well send over a German bomber and flatten Coventry, again (that might not be a bad idea, but let's set that aside)

The EU has gone nuts
    Are you sure that it's just the EU that has gone nuts?

I suspect going to war over this might just kill more people than the potential deaths caused by some vaccine hiccups.
    Now, if we stop to think about what has happened so far, one might pause to reflect that (contrary to the usual stereotypes) the behaviour of our Prime Minister has been entirely reasonable, pacific and emollient. All of the hostility is emanating from parties within the EU. One gains the distinct impression that some of them want to pick an argument to distract from their own failings. So far, the Government's not biting.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

In your world do we have to wait for Germany to vax all over 65s with Pfizer before we're allowed to vax the rest of ours with AZ?
    Do we have to wait for all the French anti vaxers to be chased down and forced into a jab before we're allowed to get on with our people?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nicola Sturgeon has been accused of undermining efforts to prevent the European Union from taking UK-bound vaccines by threatening to publish details of confidential supplies.

The UK government wants to keep secret how many doses are being delivered to avoid aggravating tensions with other nations struggling to secure vaccines.

The row with the European Commission and Astrazeneca over reduced deliveries, thought to total between 60 to 75 million doses, has shown the acute sensitivity of the issue. The commission suspects Astrazeneca of giving Britain preferential treatment and ordered inspections of its Belgium plant to check its claim that there was a production problem.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sturgeon-threatens-to-publish-supply-data-in-eu-astrazeneca-vaccine-row-9t5c2xsx8

Neil Oliver reckons that men in the constituency Sturgeon represents have a lower average lifespan than those in sub-Saharan Africa.
    I assume by looking at statistical datasets.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

@Ishmael_X FPT

Sorry just saw your question on the ethical difference between covered short selling and naked short selling.

From a definition perspective, "naked short selling" is the sale of shares which cannot be proved to exist - i.e. (usually) where the short interest is >100% of the stock.

That's illegal. Of course the law has nothing to do with ethics, but it's worth pointing out.

On the difference between shorting when you have borrowed the stock and shorting when you haven't is one of risk. Usually the big institutions lend stock and earn an income from it. If you have to close your short then they will typically extend the contract if you can't buy in the market because they have an interest in an orderly market. (This doesn't mean they will allow you to make a profit if you mess up, but they won't drive you into bankruptcy).

When you short without having borrowed you are taking much more risk because you are exposed to a short squeeze.

The issues I have with this situation are:

(a) Naked shorting is illegal
    (b) The hedge funds have been stupid and jumped on a bandwagon
    (c) Retail investors coordinating on a short squeeze are - in my view - engaging in market abuse

No body comes out of this well.

Someone else suggested it earlier, but I reckon the company should do a capital raise. But I doubt that any credible underwriters will run it for them.

I've not been following this in detail, but I note that the business is a video games outfit. Are the legion of retail investors piling in mostly speculators hoping for a windfall, or game players rallying round their business? I know we can't really know for sure, but what sort of groups are pushing it?
    Early this morning, a failing chain of video game retailers, who is being beaten by Amazon and digital distribitution, which is loss making, and which is seeing its sales fall, reached a value that would have made it the sixth largest company in the FTSE100, ahead of Vodafone.

Day traders on Robinhood discovered that if they acted in concert they could create a massive short squeeze. (GME was heavily shorted because... well, it's going to go out of business.) As the price ran, up hedge funds found that they had growing losses and were forced to close their positions by buying back stock. This sent the stock into the stratosphere.

Smart daytraders (both of them) will have left the party at this point. Dumb ones will remain, and will lose all their money as their call options expire worthless on Feb 19, as the number of real buyers of GME stock at (checks price) $250 is... ummm.... zero.
    That is perhaps a little unfair to GameStop.

Yes they had been failing but the effective takeover by the Chewy founder and the plans to move far more online combined with the Microsoft deal meant that by the beginning of this year they were in a much better position. Indeed the Shorters had been desperately trying to drive the share price down unsuccessfully. They were trying to break a company that had probably turned the corner in order to defend their earlier short positions.

Personally I am very glad they have had their fingers burnt and it would be nice to see GameStop now move into a sustainable position again.
  • Options
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Why would the EU (median income €1,695 pm) be more deserving of that than Algeria (median income €275 (ish) pm)?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

No. Of course not.
  • Options
    Not surprising after five years of constant grievance.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Do we have to wait for all the French anti vaxers to be chased down and forced into a jab before we're allowed to get on with our people?
    Or de we just gratefully wait as for long as it takes for our benevolent overlords in Brussels to give us permission to continue?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Much of the Glasgow effect - in Glasgow as a whole, not Govan specifrically - is generally ascribed to long-term factors dating back decades (ie long before the Scottish Pmt was reconvened, let alone the SNP became a government). And it would help of the Conservatives didn't persistently obstruct initiatives such as smoking controls, alcohol price control, and now drug initiatives. Even one of our resident Scots unionist Tories is unhappy about the UK Gmt's policy on drugs, which has caused an unedifying snarl with the SG.
    Also like all big cities in UK it is limited to specific areas , perhaps the clowns should look at Bearsden or similar where it is at least as good as the best of UK.
    Typical sneering jessie boys on here who know nothing of Scotland, true products of poor education.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I don't think PB Tories have that much (any) influence!
  • Options

Will surely lead to reforms. Something very wrong there.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,376
    Graham Brady will tonight appear together with Richard Tice and Toby Young to propose that “the lockdown was a mistake”, at the Cambridge Union debate. Opposing will be Layla Moran, Laura Spinney and Phil Whitaker.

The live stream is here, starts in an hour’s time:

https://cus.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=10521&qid=9590356
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Can you imagine how many new business cards GameStop executives just ordered for themselves?
  • Options

RobD said:

What, you were expecting people to say the relationship was stronger or something?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Could GameStop now borrow money and buy Reddit?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Graham Brady will tonight appear together with Richard Tice and Toby Young to propose that “the lockdown was a mistake”, at the Cambridge Union debate. Opposing will be Layla Moran, Laura Spinney and Phil Whitaker.

Here's hoping they use actual arguments, say on wider costs or liberty, rather than fiddle figures to pretend there's no problem.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wow, that's nuts!
    Its gets trickier,

Its a matter of record from her disclosures that the US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has garnered millions in speaking engagements from Wall Street firms before her appointment. Perfectly legal of course, but some are caught up in this.....

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Expropriating the means of production for the greater good? Are these people completely mental?
    Apparently it would show the EU's "strength and reliability".
    https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1354842798848151554
    That is, in all essence, war.

Seize vaccines made in the EU but legally contracted to the UK, so they can be given to EU citizens. At the same time demand that the British hand over British made vaccines contracted to Britain, so they can also be given to EU citizens, not to Brits.

Thus ensuring that more British people die, and fewer Europeans die.

If that isn't war-like hostility - you must die so that we can live - what is? You might as well send over a German bomber and flatten Coventry, again (that might not be a bad idea, but let's set that aside)

The EU has gone nuts
    Are you sure that it's just the EU that has gone nuts?

I suspect going to war over this might just kill more people than the potential deaths caused by some vaccine hiccups.
    Now, if we stop to think about what has happened so far, one might pause to reflect that (contrary to the usual stereotypes) the behaviour of our Prime Minister has been entirely reasonable, pacific and emollient. All of the hostility is emanating from parties within the EU. One gains the distinct impression that some of them want to pick an argument to distract from their own failings. So far, the Government's not biting.
    I agree. Boris has been the very embodiment of calmness and restraint. Of course, he will have calculated that there's no longer an ounce of political capital to be gained from firing up the euro-phobes. He's now looking elsewhere - towards Biden, the Green agenda and preserving the Union.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Here's hoping they use actual arguments, say on wider costs or liberty, rather than fiddle figures to pretend there's no problem.
    One can only hope that all participants will be polite enough not to mention the Cambridge vaccine.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

No. Of course not.
    You said it was right for us to divert our vaccines to the EU until all their priority groups are done.

You want us to make a special case against Germany?
  • Options

RobD said:

Wow, that's nuts!
    Its gets trickier,

Its a matter of record from her disclosures that the US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has garnered millions in speaking engagements from Wall Street firms before her appointment. Perfectly legal of course, but some are caught up in this.....

What is it about Wall Street firms and indeed big companies globally, that they like paying people to speak to them. I don't know who was paying for it, but Theresa May has made millions doing it apparently.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,886
    edited January 2021

Hmm, Mr J doesn't seem to have gone to any fishing ports for a nice photo op with some crabs and a fridge nearby. Or have I missed anything?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Leon said:

I have to say that it is completely bemusing to see people who have bemoaned the problems in the UK for the past year to now that something is going smoothly (due to good planning) be immediately calling for the good work of this country to be pooled with other rich countries that tried to get through this on the cheap.

When people were dying in the UK I don't recall suggestions the EU would or should help us?

We absolutely should give aid to the rest of the world, starting with Africa. Getting ourselves done must be the priority.

The death figures today:

Germany: 372
    Italy 492
    Poland: 389
    Netherlands: 83
    Portugal: 303:

Spain and France will be in the same ~500 ballpark

Meanwhile

UK: 1,239

The idea that, in this dire national situation, we should be diverting vaccines made in Britain, designed by Britons, funded by Britons, and legally contracted to Britain, to continental Europeans - who merely fucked up their vaccine ordering, and are anyway suffering LESS - is just utterly surreal. I cannot get my head into the mindset of people who think like this.

It is a kind of treachery - or self hatred - or madness. Or all three

" ...designed by Britons ...."

That is nonsense. Prof Sarah Gilbert is British, but her team in Oxford includes scientists & postdocs from all over the world.

It is very nice that AZ are making this available at cost to the world. But, it is also a reflection of the international nature of modern science.

The vaccine was not "designed by Britons", it was designed by a team of scientists (led by a Briton). At least 2 of the scientists in the team are Irish.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Yawn
    PS Did the smart arse miss this one:
    It means that a typical boy growing up in the most deprived pockets of Britain, such as Jaywick in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex – the most deprived neighbourhood in England Wales – can expect to live a full active life only until he is 52.1 years old
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    edited January 2021
    RobD said:

RobD said:

What, you were expecting people to say the relationship was stronger or something?
    I'm not expecting anything, it's a poll giving information.

On that basis and on the approximate assumption that you want the relationship to become stronger, what are your suggestions for the next five years? Shutting your eyes, singing lalala and hoping that the nasty, grievance mongering Natz shut up and go away doesn't count.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Wow, that's nuts!
    Its gets trickier,

What is it about Wall Street firms and indeed big companies globally, that they like paying people to speak to them. I don't know who was paying for it, but Theresa May has made millions doing it apparently.
    It's like having expensive works of art in their headquarters. Being able to exhibit an original 'Strong and Stable' is a status symbol.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,432

Leon said:

The death figures today:

Germany: 372
    Italy 492
    Poland: 389
    Netherlands: 83
    Portugal: 303:

Spain and France will be in the same ~500 ballpark

Meanwhile

UK: 1,239

The idea that, in this dire national situation, we should be diverting vaccines made in Britain, designed by Britons, funded by Britons, and legally contracted to Britain, to continental Europeans - who merely fucked up their vaccine ordering, and are anyway suffering LESS - is just utterly surreal. I cannot get my head into the mindset of people who think like this.

It is a kind of treachery - or self hatred - or madness. Or all three

That is nonsense. Prof Sarah Gilbert is British, but her team in Oxford includes scientists & postdocs from all over the world.

It is very nice that AZ are making this available at cost to the world. But, it is also a reflection of the international nature of modern science.

The vaccine was not "designed by Britons", it was designed by a team of scientists (led by a Briton). At least 2 of the scientists in the team are Irish.
    OK, designed by a team led by a Briton working at a British university. WTF is the difference to my point?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Hmm, Mr J doesn't seem to have gone to any fishing ports for a nice photo op with some crabs and a fridge nearby. Or have I missed anything?
    Off the agenda for a very long time.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Off the menu, you mean, surely. But it would seem like it. I woiuldn';t be surprised if the Tories lose the Borders/Berwickshire now, not to mention other seats in the NE coastlands.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    kinabalu said:

Will surely lead to reforms. Something very wrong there.
    Capitalism all well and good till THEY take a hit ?
  • Options
    Foss said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Why would the EU (median income €1,695 pm) be more deserving of that than Algeria (median income €275 (ish) pm)?
    They're not. Every person is equally deserving of getting protection against Covid. And that must be the guiding spirit if we are to maximize our chances of ending this nightmare in the near term.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,005

Carnyx said:

Have they not been able to rustle up enough happy British fish for a good photo op?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

OK, designed by a team led by a Briton working at a British university. WTF is the difference to my point?
    From their web-page:

"This study is a collaborative project which would not have been possible without the support of our partners. This work receives funding from the rapid research response funded by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), and by the Department of Health and Social Care through the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). The NIHR have also provided funding for the set-up of the project through the Oxford Biomedical Research Centre (BRC). The study has received funding from the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) as part of an urgent call to expand the number of COVID-19 vaccine candidates in development. Funding has also been received from the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS) Innovation Fund for Medical Science (CIFMS). The ‘CSIROxbridge Consortium’ (Principal Investigator Prof. S. S. Vasan) is led by Australia’s science agency CSIRO for ‘High Containment Studies to Support Product Development’ for CEPI.

Preclinical testing of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine is being conducted in collaboration with our partners: Rocky Mountain Laboratories (NIH/NIAID); The ‘CSIROxbridge Consortium’; Public Health England; The Pirbright Institute; Prof. Dr. Stephen Becker at the Institut für Virologie, Philipps University, Marburg. Manufacturing for the current and future clinical trials is being conducted in collaboration with the University of Oxford Clinical Biomanufacturing Facility, Advent Srl (Italy) and SGS Vitrology (Glasgow). Development and scale-up of manufacturing to produce millions of doses is being carried out in partnership with the Vaccine Manufacturing and Innovation Centre (Oxford), Pall Biotech (Portsmouth), Cobra Biologics (Staffordshire), Halix BV (Netherlands), and Oxford Biomedica."

In Leon-speak, it is British.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    edited January 2021

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

@Ishmael_X FPT

Sorry just saw your question on the ethical difference between covered short selling and naked short selling.

From a definition perspective, "naked short selling" is the sale of shares which cannot be proved to exist - i.e. (usually) where the short interest is >100% of the stock.

That's illegal. Of course the law has nothing to do with ethics, but it's worth pointing out.

On the difference between shorting when you have borrowed the stock and shorting when you haven't is one of risk. Usually the big institutions lend stock and earn an income from it. If you have to close your short then they will typically extend the contract if you can't buy in the market because they have an interest in an orderly market. (This doesn't mean they will allow you to make a profit if you mess up, but they won't drive you into bankruptcy).

When you short without having borrowed you are taking much more risk because you are exposed to a short squeeze.

(c) Retail investors coordinating on a short squeeze are - in my view - engaging in market abuse

Someone else suggested it earlier, but I reckon the company should do a capital raise. But I doubt that any credible underwriters will run it for them.

I've not been following this in detail, but I note that the business is a video games outfit. Are the legion of retail investors piling in mostly speculators hoping for a windfall, or game players rallying round their business? I know we can't really know for sure, but what sort of groups are pushing it?
    Early this morning, a failing chain of video game retailers, who is being beaten by Amazon and digital distribitution, which is loss making, and which is seeing its sales fall, reached a value that would have made it the sixth largest company in the FTSE100, ahead of Vodafone.

Day traders on Robinhood discovered that if they acted in concert they could create a massive short squeeze. (GME was heavily shorted because... well, it's going to go out of business.) As the price ran, up hedge funds found that they had growing losses and were forced to close their positions by buying back stock. This sent the stock into the stratosphere.

Smart daytraders (both of them) will have left the party at this point. Dumb ones will remain, and will lose all their money as their call options expire worthless on Feb 19, as the number of real buyers of GME stock at (checks price) $250 is... ummm.... zero.

Yes they had been failing but the effective takeover by the Chewy founder and the plans to move far more online combined with the Microsoft deal meant that by the beginning of this year they were in a much better position. Indeed the Shorters had been desperately trying to drive the share price down unsuccessfully. They were trying to break a company that had probably turned the corner in order to defend their earlier short positions.

Personally I am very glad they have had their fingers burnt and it would be nice to see GameStop now move into a sustainable position again.
    Hmmm.

PC games are now almost entirely sold on-line - and Steam is the number one player there, and Epic a distant second. Where is GameStop?

In consoles, Microsoft and Sony are now trying to get people paying monthly subscriptions (and are succeeding). Physical console game sales will - inevitably - be more expensive those delivered directly over the Internet.

And then there are products like Stadia and GeForce Now and Amazon's game streaming service.

Right now, GameStop is briefly benefiting from the launch of new consoles. But what's their long term competitive advantage? Especially as they are already loss making, and can't match the investments made by other players.

They're Radio Shack.

I have no love or loathing for short sellers. But I struggle to see a long term winning strategy for GameStop.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Off the menu, you mean, surely. But it would seem like it. I woiuldn';t be surprised if the Tories lose the Borders/Berwickshire now, not to mention other seats in the NE coastlands.
    They can kiss their chances of winning Argyll & Bute goodbye as well.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

A few months back remainiacs were speculating that we would get vaccine holdups because of Brexit traffic jams. I offered to bet with any of those people that there would be precisely zero vaccines lost due to Brexit traffic. I predicted that the army would be brought in for vaccine rollout logistics. I said that the only way that we would lose any of our vaccine supply was if the EU or member states blocked that supply. I was called a fecking idiot for suggesting there was any chance that the EU would ever do this.

Nostradamus! Is it you!?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Would the remainiacs now refuse an EU flagged vaccine, as that would obviously be "unfairly" taking supply that was intended for one of their fellow Europeans?

No but some local over 80s on a local forum i occasionally visit said the other day they wanted Oxford vaccine because it would be better because it was English.

Good luck with that one.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,850
    edited January 2021
    As Rob Ford has said, taking the vaccine almost certainly doesn't do any harm, even if it doesn't work. The problem is the controversy in Germany has given the impression to a lot of people that it might do.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Yawn
    It means that a typical boy growing up in the most deprived pockets of Britain, such as Jaywick in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex – the most deprived neighbourhood in England Wales – can expect to live a full active life only until he is 52.1 years old
    @RobD
    Cat got your tongue now Rob, no smart quips on my example of Tory brilliance
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Yawn
    @RobD
    Cat got your tongue now Rob, no smart quips on my example of Tory brilliance
    Yawn about using statistics? How else would someone reach that conclusion?

And I don't think finding another example disproves the statistic.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    kamski said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Well if they put a ban on vaccine export I'd happily change my mind. Ultimately the EU is to blame but its the citizens that will suffer.
    According to the interview with the AZN CEO, using output from the British plants in Europe was planned, but "later".

Yes - the definition of "later" would be useful.
    It seems fairly clear that later means when the UK Government order has been met. The UK Government deal was that they would get their order before the UK production facilities begun to meet other orders.
    I thought nobody has seen the contracts, but if that is true shouldn't AZN have told the EU when they made the order?
    That would appear to explain why the EU contract is 'best efforts', and does not include a similar stipulation. That's fair by AZN.

It also explains why some supply from AZN's continental plants may well have gone to the UK initially - it all adds up to completing the UK order so that all production sites, including UK ones, can then be used to meet other orders.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Have they not been able to rustle up enough happy British fish for a good photo op?

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

They can kiss their chances of winning Argyll & Bute goodbye as well.
    I am actually really taken aback by the complete neglect of the fishpersons who were invariably on the menu every time Mr J or Mr Gove ventured north of Carter Bar. If this continues, it will be a real smack in the face with a monkfish tail. And that isn't a joke.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

We should make money out of the anti vaxxers make them wear a badge and enable hunting with dart guns. Just charge for the hunting licence
  • Options
    Omnium said:

A few months back remainiacs were speculating that we would get vaccine holdups because of Brexit traffic jams. I offered to bet with any of those people that there would be precisely zero vaccines lost due to Brexit traffic. I predicted that the army would be brought in for vaccine rollout logistics. I said that the only way that we would lose any of our vaccine supply was if the EU or member states blocked that supply. I was called a fecking idiot for suggesting there was any chance that the EU would ever do this.

Nostradamus! Is it you!?
    I've possibly made one or two predictions that haven't come true. So maybe!
  • Options
    Anyone notice the huge testing number ?

Over 771k yesterday plus 46k anti-body tests:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

No. Of course not.
    You said it was right for us to divert our vaccines to the EU until all their priority groups are done.

I didn't. You're being anal. I'm saying we must avoid a nationalistic "competition" approach to vaccination. We need a guiding MO of pragmatic collectivism. If everyone here is done and nobody in France - say - this is a failure. It might be their failure but so what. Their failure is everyone's. We need an internationalist approach. The point is even more obvious with poorer countries. It's not altruism. It's the only way to get out of this.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

We should make money out of the anti vaxxers make them wear a badge and enable hunting with dart guns. Just charge for the hunting licence
    What exactly is in the darts? Homeopathic stuff?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

No. Of course not.

I didn't. You're being anal. I'm saying we must avoid a nationalistic "competition" approach to vaccination. We need a guiding MO of pragmatic collectivism. If everyone here is done and nobody in France - say - this is a failure. It might be their failure but so what. Their failure is everyone's. We need an internationalist approach. The point is even more obvious with poorer countries. It's not altruism. It's the only way to get out of this.
    Perhaps some other countries might like to invest in research and production then.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Andy_JS said:

As Rob Ford has said, taking the vaccine almost certainly doesn't do any harm, even if it doesn't work. The problem is the controversy in Germany has given the impression to a lot of people that it might do.

Given that the German regulator expressly hasn't said "It's poison - don't use it!" the likelihood of such damage appears limited.

Beyond that, we'll have the necessary data on efficacy in the olds in the near future which, unless it really does reveal the jab to be useless (which logic dictates is somewhat unlikely,) should help matters.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

No. Of course not.

Our government has paid seven times more per capita than the apparently wealthier and more powerful EU to get our citizens - who are still dying far faster than our ill-prepared neighbours - vaccinated first, and you want us to give it away to them?

Pure, unadulterated remainia.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

@Ishmael_X FPT

I'll be very surprised if Gamestop survives longterm.

Just don't see a profitable online business for it, not when direct online sales and distribution hubs like Steam exist then I'm not sure what room for margin there is for the likes of Game or Gamestop.

Then again Game have already managed to survive a few years past what originally looked likely here.
  • Options

Anyone notice the huge testing number ?

Over 771k yesterday plus 46k anti-body tests:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

That’s more than 1% of the population tested yesterday!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

No. Of course not.

total bollocks its not our failure if the french dont get vaccinated it is their failure and the eu failing...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887
    Omnium said:

Nostradamus! Is it you!?
    Never predicted any good news did he? Anyone else notice that? Was always doom and gloom...

Nostradamus that is not TredDifficle... ;)
  • Options
    Foss said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Well, if the Germans and the French and the Italians buy more British goods, then there is an economic self interest case for helping them before those in the Third World.

On the other hand, if you want straight morality (and given the EU does actually have plenty of orders for vaccines, they're just a bit late), then helping the third world, perhaps via Covax, makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    A day's respite for the English. Phew!

A really smart move. Sir John Curtice on Ch4 News is describing him as a recruiting sergeant for the SNP.

When the referendum was on I went up to Scotland to stay with relatives who were passionately anti independence. They are now pro which is extraordinary.

Keep the old ship rolling Boris......
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    edited January 2021
    Has this been mentioned:

Vaccinations by ethnicity:

H: Asian or Asian British - Indian 146,075 + 12,530 = 158,605
    J: Asian or Asian British - Pakistani 46,922+ 3,056 = 49,978
    K: Asian or Asian British - Bangladeshi 14,145 + 855 = 15,000
    L: Asian or Asian British - Any other Asian background 71,157 + 5,029 = 76,186

Unless I'm missing some explanation that looks waaaay too few of Pakistani and Bangladeshi in proportion than should be expected.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

No way - we get all our people done first and then we can be as generous to the rest of the world as we like. Making younger people wait any longer than they are due to already would be a catastrophic mistake, and I hope the government won't be stupid enough to make it.
    If all countries follow that template it will prolong the pandemic.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

What exactly is in the darts? Homeopathic stuff?
    We can stick if az stuff as it seems we will have enough in a few months
  • Options

Leon said:

From their web-page:

"This study is a collaborative project which would not have been possible without the support of our partners. This work receives funding from the rapid research response funded by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), and by the Department of Health and Social Care through the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). The NIHR have also provided funding for the set-up of the project through the Oxford Biomedical Research Centre (BRC). The study has received funding from the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) as part of an urgent call to expand the number of COVID-19 vaccine candidates in development. Funding has also been received from the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS) Innovation Fund for Medical Science (CIFMS). The ‘CSIROxbridge Consortium’ (Principal Investigator Prof. S. S. Vasan) is led by Australia’s science agency CSIRO for ‘High Containment Studies to Support Product Development’ for CEPI.

Preclinical testing of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine is being conducted in collaboration with our partners: Rocky Mountain Laboratories (NIH/NIAID); The ‘CSIROxbridge Consortium’; Public Health England; The Pirbright Institute; Prof. Dr. Stephen Becker at the Institut für Virologie, Philipps University, Marburg. Manufacturing for the current and future clinical trials is being conducted in collaboration with the University of Oxford Clinical Biomanufacturing Facility, Advent Srl (Italy) and SGS Vitrology (Glasgow). Development and scale-up of manufacturing to produce millions of doses is being carried out in partnership with the Vaccine Manufacturing and Innovation Centre (Oxford), Pall Biotech (Portsmouth), Cobra Biologics (Staffordshire), Halix BV (Netherlands), and Oxford Biomedica."

In Leon-speak, it is British.
    Is it me, or is there a distinct lack of Welsh names there?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foss said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Well, if the Germans and the French and the Italians buy more British goods, then there is an economic self interest case for helping them before those in the Third World.

On the other hand, if you want straight morality (and given the EU does actually have plenty of orders for vaccines, they're just a bit late), then helping the third world, perhaps via Covax, makes a lot of sense.
    We should help those who cant themselves before we help those that could but chose not to. That is the moral thing to do....
  • Options
    Heading for Northolt, which explains the BAe146 - as opposed to the usual A330 tanker thingy with the fancy paint job, which can’t land there.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    GIN1138 said:

Omnium said:

Nostradamus! Is it you!?
    Never predicted any good news did he? Anyone else notice that? Was always doom and gloom...

Nostradamus that is not TredDifficle... ;)
    You're right - FredDifficule is the man!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Only in europe and they made their bed so they are welcome to lie in it. We just shut the border to eu nationals till they sort themselves out and nothing of value is lost
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2021
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

No. Of course not.

Yes it is their failure and it is their responsibility to prevent themselves from failing, to take responsibility for their actions and to do better.

In this country the vaccine should be used to eliminate the virus. Once that's done people can get back to work, stop shielding, lift restrictions and rebuild businesses that have been shuttered. That is the only way to get out of this.

After we're out of this we can assist others in catching up with us.

For someone like Ms Cyclefree who is struggling to keep alive her bar why the hell should we keep her under restrictions or worse closed while we ship our vaccines to France because they failed to buy enough? We need to look after ourselves then get on with charity.
  • Options
    Roger said:

A day's respite for the English. Phew!

A really smart move. Sir John Curtice on Ch4 News is describing him as a recruiting sergeant for the SNP.

When the referendum was on I went up to Scotland to stay with relatives who were passionately anti independence. They are now pro which is extraordinary.

Keep the old ship rolling Boris......

When are you going to turn the honourable member for Edinburgh South?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

Can we assume you will decline the vaccination so that people at higher risk throughout the world can receive if first ?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

No, it won't.

If all countries sort themselves out and aid those who can't help themselves it will end the pandemic swiftly.

When countries that could look after themselves aren't bothering to do so, that will prolong the pandemic.
  • Options
    I like the fact that most of those calling us xenophobic bigots are complaining at the people who are saying morally it it better to help the third world that european nations.....the thought occurs they are total hypocritical bigots
This discussion has been closed.