Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The big vaccine divide: The UK’s approach is politician led while the EU’s is run by its officers –

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,250
    Well worth having. The 60% is not terrible, hopefully preventing serious disease in those who did develop symptoms with the sa strain.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,342
    Leon said:

How many years' EU membership fees did it cost to get us ahead in the vaccine queue?

We should put that on a bus.

Brexit had nothing to do with it. The crucial decisions had been taken before the idea of an EU scheme even came about.
    Brexit had everything to do with it, and has had everything to do with the insane EU reaction since. Denying this is futile
    I get the impression that Oxford Uni’s involvement, our early financial support, and the tie up with AZN to put in place UK manufacturing capability were the critical factors.
  • Options
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Fuck yes! Another vaccine, UK manufactured, integrated UK supply chain, should start getting supplies in a few weeks.

This is finally happening.

From Berlin I hear the sounds of grinding teeth.................
    More like....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8pfngxnCYc
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Brilliant news!

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19047646.teesside-make-60-million-doses-novavax-covid-vaccine-passes-uk-trial/

60 MILLION doses of the Novavax Covid vaccine will be made on Teesside, it has tonight been confirmed, after the vaccine passed its UK clinical trial.

The clinical trials have shown the vaccine to be 89.3% effective in preventing coronavirus in participants, as well as efficacy against new UK variant The UK has secured 60 million doses of the vaccine, with manufacturing set to take place at Fujifilm Diosynth in Billingham, Teesside.

Hopefully they had a rolling review with the MHRA.
  • Options
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Fuck yes! Another vaccine, UK manufactured, integrated UK supply chain, should start getting supplies in a few weeks.

They've probably already got it down for not full approval
  • Options

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

More like....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8pfngxnCYc
    They must have the Commission on speakerphone.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/e_casalicchio/status/1354899827579121668

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Tested on super kent covid
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture
    ✔️ 60 million doses on order

Which is the one to be made in Livingstone ?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,428
    Scott_xP said:
    This is the best bit

"French firm Valneva has started manufacturing 60 million doses of its promising Covid vaccine candidate in Livingston."

Sorry, Paris, you can't have any of that. Vaccine nationalism, eh. Who knew? We're just off to *raid* the factory
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:
    This is the best bit

"French firm Valneva has started manufacturing 60 million doses of its promising Covid vaccine candidate in Livingston."

Sorry, Paris, you can't have any of that. Vaccine nationalism, eh. Who knew? We're just off to *raid* the factory
    Isn't this a Scottish vaccine now? Surely they won't allow the Sassenachs to have it?
  • Options

Well worth having. The 60% is not terrible, hopefully preventing serious disease in those who did develop symptoms with the sa strain.

Travel restrictions will become even more important. Great news about the efficacy wrt the Kent variant.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

Not so great on the SA variant
    Yet another good reason to stop titting about with half measures on the borders, to give us the best chance of maintaining the highest degree of efficacy. Stamp on the damned pandemic, whilst the manufacturers work on updated vaccines that we can get into (at least) the most vulnerable in the Autumn.

I think we can safely assume that the MHRA will tear through the paperwork as quickly as humanly possible. Any word on production timescales?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

Valneva, it's still in human trials now, should report in the summer.
  • Options

Just told horses a bit...

Britain has secured 30 million doses, with supplies expected to arrive as early as July if the trial data is positive.

Maybe if we shout at them really loudly and send around the police and the health inspectors every day they will make it quicker?

Whipping will continue until morale production improves.
  • Options
    I think the big reduction against SA COVID again means once we get through the population, I think we will be going round again with an updated versions of these vaccines for these new mutant versions.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Just hold horses a bit...

Britain has secured 30 million doses, with supplies expected to arrive as early as July if the trial data is positive.

Maybe if we shout at them really loudly and send around the police and the health inspectors every day they will make it quicker?

The manufacturing has already started, the schedule should move forwards considerably, it's 60m doses as well, not 30m.
  • Options

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

Not so great on the SA variant
    Yet another good reason to stop titting about with half measures on the borders, to give us the best chance of maintaining the highest degree of efficacy. Stamp on the damned pandemic, whilst the manufacturers work on updated vaccines that we can get into (at least) the most vulnerable in the Autumn.

I think we can safely assume that the MHRA will tear through the paperwork as quickly as humanly possible. Any word on production timescales?
    July....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2021
    MaxPB said:

The manufacturing has already started, the schedule should move forwards considerably.
    Oh good, I think we should still threaten to sue them, might get them to make it even quicker.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The manufacturing has already started, the schedule should move forwards considerably, it's 60m doses as well, not 30m.
    And the EU.....still haggling like they are at a Moroccan bazaar.
  • Options
    And of course I think it is an open secret J&J will say theirs works on Monday or Tuesday next week.
  • Options
    I've been really surprised what I've found out about the EU's two largest members during this epidemic.

Firstly, the French being so anti vax; we should quarantine them and travellers there (I'd still probably go!) as a general rule even post pandemic. Who knows what filthy diseases the unvaccinated lunatics are bringing with them.

And the Germans! They won't use a vaccine until it's been fully trialled by another people. I want to know how they know it would work on their pure German genes having only been tested on lesser peoples.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

IanB2 said:

Toby Young wraps up for the proposers. Argues that government must always have a cast iron case before suspending our liberties, yet there has been no cost benefit analysis. Suggests the harm of lockdown is worse than the benefit. Says the current measures are unprecedented. Points to multiple studies showing that severity of lockdown makes no difference to mortality (e.g. Cali is no better off than Florida). Underlines the economic damage, and catastrophic consequences for the future, including to education and health. Advocates focused protection of the vulnerable, early border controls, effective tracing, and voluntary sensible precautions for everyone else.

Toby Young?!! Hasn't he been wrong in every material respect since the pandemic began?
    Yes, but he ignores the counter evidence and deletes his old tweets so in his mind he is always right.
  • Options
    Well if they finish it today they can still get fair share of the first batch, right?
  • Options

I've been really surprised what I've found out about the EU's two largest members during this epidemic.

Firstly, the French being so anti vax; we should quarantine them and travellers there (I'd still probably go!) as a general rule even post pandemic. Who knows what filthy diseases the unvaccinated lunatics are bringing with them.

And the Germans! They won't use a vaccine until it's been fully trialled by another people. I want to know how they know it would work on their pure German genes having only been tested on lesser peoples.

I was surprised to read early on how poor flu jab uptake is in places like Germany. Again, the UK does really well with this stuff.
  • Options

And of course I think it is an open secret J&J will say theirs works on Monday or Tuesday next week.

Do we have timescales on delivery for that one for the UK?
  • Options
    I'm sure they'll get 200m and then start banging on about how they deserve their fair share ahead of everyone who signed their contracts first.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

That's Janssen, not Novavax. Novavax should be much quicker.
  • Options
    I presume this is another two stabber jobbie?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

Will the folks that have had AZ and Pfizer be entitled to this one? We'll all be walking pin cushions by the end of the year :D
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Brilliant news!

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19047646.teesside-make-60-million-doses-novavax-covid-vaccine-passes-uk-trial/

60 MILLION doses of the Novavax Covid vaccine will be made on Teesside, it has tonight been confirmed, after the vaccine passed its UK clinical trial.

The clinical trials have shown the vaccine to be 89.3% effective in preventing coronavirus in participants, as well as efficacy against new UK variant The UK has secured 60 million doses of the vaccine, with manufacturing set to take place at Fujifilm Diosynth in Billingham, Teesside.

Is it 1 or 2 dose?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Toby Young wraps up for the proposers. Argues that government must always have a cast iron case before suspending our liberties, yet there has been no cost benefit analysis. Suggests the harm of lockdown is worse than the benefit. Says the current measures are unprecedented. Points to multiple studies showing that severity of lockdown makes no difference to mortality (e.g. Cali is no better off than Florida). Underlines the economic damage, and catastrophic consequences for the future, including to education and health. Advocates focused protection of the vulnerable, early border controls, effective tracing, and voluntary sensible precautions for everyone else.

Toby Young?!! Hasn't he been wrong in every material respect since the pandemic began?
    Yes, but he ignores the counter evidence and deletes his old tweets so in his mind he is always right.
    Isn't that the rule, if you delete it then it never happened?
  • Options

I was surprised to read early on how poor flu jab uptake is in places like Germany. Again, the UK does really well with this stuff.
    It's one of the major advantages of the NHS rather than more decentralised health systems most other countries have.
    On the other hand last year the German system reacted much more quickly to the challenge of ramping up testing.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If they need more oldies for testing then they had better get on with it real quick before the oldies are vaccinated with something else.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

And not ordered by the EU.......
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Brilliant news!

Is it 1 or 2 dose?
    Two, according to reports.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

I presume this is another two stabber jobbie?

That is the technical terminology, I assume.

I presume it must be, as everyone has made a big deal of the double Boris so if another were single shot we're probably have heard about that detail by now.
  • Options
    I assume no one at MHRA had holiday plans this/next week?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Brilliant news!

Is it 1 or 2 dose?
    2 doses, 89.3% efficacy 7 days after the second dose. 85% against Kent COVID and 95% against standard.
  • Options

It all adds up. With Pfizer, Moderna, AZN and now these new vaccines (all of which are contracted to the UK, if not made here) we have a real chance of something close to herd immunity by early summer (depending on NO MUTATIONS).

The EU's prognosis is less good. They need us, as much, if not more, than we need them, right now. Either way, co-operation is all. So they should dial down their fucking nonsense, and just accept their procurement was not good, but it will hugely improve, as time passes.

They really are being twats. We've fucked on up on quarantine, and other things, but we got lucky AND done well on jabs, sequencing, etc, they've fucked up and were unlucky on vaccines, sequencing, but they've done well in other ways: quarantining, masks, social distance, and so forth.

It's not a pissing up the urinal contest. It is human life. No one is perfect. We all want to live.

So Brussels should stop this nonsense about "banning vaccine exports", or they will make a very grim situation worse, for all.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

Will the folks that have had AZ and Pfizer be entitled to this one? We'll all be walking pin cushions by the end of the year :D
    I think the number of times we end up going round the vaccine merry-go-round depends on how many nasty variants arise here, or are imported and manage to become established, but one could easily envision shielders and pensioners at least being invited back for another round of jabs later in the Autumn.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

How many years' EU membership fees did it cost to get us ahead in the vaccine queue?

We should put that on a bus.

Brexit had nothing to do with it. The crucial decisions had been taken before the idea of an EU scheme even came about.
    According to this..

"The government will spend up to £11.7bn ($15.8bn) on securing vaccines for the UK and rolling them out in England, as well as potentially covering drugmakers’ costs if they face legal action."
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-government-vaccine-rollout-liability-costs-085553962.html

..it's about a year's fees.

Which rather puts things in perspective for me. The EU is struggling to match the spend of its leaving member, even though we've only spent one year of our former annual fee to them.

WTF are they playing at?
    "With this letter from Spahn [German Health Minister] the EU's vaccine disaster began"

https://www.bild.de/politik/inland/politik-inland/mit-diesem-spahn-brief-begann-das-impfstoff-desaster-bei-der-eu-74734176.bild.html

It is THE central document in the vaccine disaster!

A letter that shows how Health Minister Jens Spahn (40, CDU) and his counterparts from France, Italy and the Netherlands ceded procurement of the life-saving vaccine to EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen (62) and in a humble tone apologized for their efforts on vaccine procurement. The letter is exclusively available to BILD.

According to BILD information, it was important to both Chancellor Angela Merkel (66, CDU) and von der Leyen that the letter from Spahn and his colleagues was written in the most obsequious tone possible.
    Who is going to take the political hit from this - Merkel or Spahn?
  • Options
    Are we sure we are getting this new vaccine so quickly?

The vaccine will be delivered in the second half of this year, if approved for use by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), who will assess whether the vaccine meets robust standards of safety, effectiveness and quality.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503
    So, will the EU try and get its hands on Novavax as well?

Better not forget we have 13 Group covering the North, alert to any surprise raids without Barnier escort across the North Sea.
  • Options

The vaccine will be delivered in the second half of this year, if approved for use by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), who will assess whether the vaccine meets robust standards of safety, effectiveness and quality.

Could be referencing the expected date when deliveries would be finished? I hope..
  • Options

Manufacturing has already started, I'd be shocked if it takes them that long to deliver. Could just be looking at the downside.
  • Options
    I also remember asking once if we might end up helping the EU with our vaccine surplus. I was told that this was obviously wrong and rampant nationalism.

At the time I didn't realise that EU banditry was so readily described by remainiacs.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

So UK orders are:

AZN 100m - 2 dose
    Pfizer 40m - 2 dose
    Moderna 7m - 2 dose
    Novavax 60m - 2 dose ?
    Valneva 60m - 2 dose ?
    Janssen 30m +22m - 1 dose
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2021
    Also from Novavax...

The South Africa trial was relatively small — with just 4,400 volunteers — and was not designed to come up with a precise estimate of how much protection the vaccine provides. Still, the results were striking enough that the company said it would soon begin testing a new vaccine tailored to protect against the variant from South Africa. “You’re going to have to make new vaccines,” Mr. Erck said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/health/covid-vaccine-novavax-south-africa.html

AZN said they are already working on a new version.
  • Options

Also from Novavax...

The South Africa trial was relatively small — with just 4,400 volunteers — and was not designed to come up with a precise estimate of how much protection the vaccine provides. Still, the results were striking enough that the company said it would soon begin testing a new vaccine tailored to protect against the variant from South Africa. “You’re going to have to make new vaccines,” Mr. Erck said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/health/covid-vaccine-novavax-south-africa.html

AZN said they are already working on a new version.

We're sure these strains aren't just a Big Pharma conspiracy?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

So UK orders are:

AZN 100m - 2 dose
    Pfizer 40m - 2 dose
    Moderna 7m - 2 dose
    Novavax 60m - 2 dose ?
    Valneva 60m - 2 dose ?
    17m from Moderna now, we ordered an extra 10m after they increased their expected capacity in the European supply line.
  • Options
    BJ’s antibodies will be absolutely fizzin’

https://twitter.com/gerryhassan/status/1354905053509922817?s=21
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    That poor chump has a tiny spinning EU flag where his brain should be...
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Floater said:

Floater said:
    In the 94% of the study population that did not have HIV, the efficacy was 60%. One patient on placebo developed severe Covid-19, compared with zero in the vaccine group.

Its not 90% for cockey COVID, but it isn't total disaster stuff either.
    But in a 4,400-volunteer study in South Africa, the vaccine proved only 49% effective. In the 94% of the study population that did not have HIV, the efficacy was 60%.
    I don't think those numbers add up. 6% of 4,400 is 264. So non-HIV = 4,136 @ 60% = 2482 effective
    49% of 4,400 is just under 2,200.

There cannot be more effective results in the subset than there is in the whole.
  • Options

The company initiated a rolling submission to the United Kingdom’s regulatory agency, the MHRA, in mid-January.

https://ir.novavax.com/node/15506/pdf

And the EU? Let us know when you have finished and in a few months after that we might take a look?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

Look its not about first in the queue - they will want a "fair" share if they finally get around to placing an order
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    Theresa would have joined ;)
  • Options

The company initiated a rolling submission to the United Kingdom’s regulatory agency, the MHRA, in mid-January.

Another batch of gongs for the New Years Honours.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,285

Floater said:

TRUCKWATCH - on the way to fathers funeral traffic on A12 / M25 / M23 examined - lots of foreign registered trucks on the roads

Entirely unsurprising.

Regardless of how tight border controls become, we're always going to be at some risk of importing Plague cases because we're too dependent on road haulage for trade (even if truckers are relatively low risk, given that they spend most of the time alone in their cabs.) An important issue to be addressed when this nightmare is finally over.

Though it won't be addressed, of course.
    Each week since the 1st January our Asda order has been complete, including fresh fruit and vegetables, and our orders are larger than pre covid as we just do not go to the supermarket

I have not experienced any shortages, and indeed everything has been delivered from Amazon without any issues

I have no evidence that Brexit has had any effect
    Waitrose in Cowbridge had many empty shelves last night. If it's definitely not Brexit, it must be further evidence of Drakeford's Covid mismanagement.
    Mark Drakeford has gone from Zero to Hero.

Mark is now in second place in the Great Vaccine Race. He has overtaken first Nicola and then Arlene. He is now chasing down the Shagster.

Next step, Mark is going to commandeer the Wrecsam vaccine plant and announce no more exports to England, until all of Wales is done.
    But other than hiding the Pfizer vaccines in his freezer so nobody could get any, Drakeford has had no hand in vaccine provision in Wales. Hats off to the NHS Nurses and RAF personnel managing the provision here in South Wales.
  • Options
    August 14th: Under the terms of the agreement, Novavax will supply 60 million doses of NVX-CoV2373 to the UK beginning as early as the first quarter of 2021. Excess supply of antigen manufactured at the FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies site in Billingham, Stockton-on-Tees may be available for Novavax to sell to additional markets outside the UK.

• Options

It's still useful. Consider:

1. IIRC we're not expected to finish the whole vaccination programme until September, according to Government estimates. Having another vaccine available during the Summer may help to get younger people jabbed more quickly, which still helps (will save material numbers from suffering Long Covid, and cut the available pool of infected persons who might generate the dreaded mutations down more quickly.)
    2. More manufacturers active = more doses that can be sold or given away to countries still suffering
    3. Also, more manufacturers active = enhanced ability to respond quickly if we need modified vaccines in future

One might also add:

4. Establishing a large, permanent UK vaccine industry gives other advantages - research and development into combatting a whole host of other diseases, both at home and abroad, and a reservoir of expertise ready to go to work the next time a plague is unleashed upon us

What's not to like?
  • Options

Floater said:

TRUCKWATCH - on the way to fathers funeral traffic on A12 / M25 / M23 examined - lots of foreign registered trucks on the roads

Entirely unsurprising.

Regardless of how tight border controls become, we're always going to be at some risk of importing Plague cases because we're too dependent on road haulage for trade (even if truckers are relatively low risk, given that they spend most of the time alone in their cabs.) An important issue to be addressed when this nightmare is finally over.

Each week since the 1st January our Asda order has been complete, including fresh fruit and vegetables, and our orders are larger than pre covid as we just do not go to the supermarket

I have not experienced any shortages, and indeed everything has been delivered from Amazon without any issues

Waitrose in Cowbridge had many empty shelves last night. If it's definitely not Brexit, it must be further evidence of Drakeford's Covid mismanagement.

Mark is now in second place in the Great Vaccine Race. He has overtaken first Nicola and then Arlene. He is now chasing down the Shagster.

Next step, Mark is going to commandeer the Wrecsam vaccine plant and announce no more exports to England, until all of Wales is done.
    But other than hiding the Pfizer vaccines in his freezer so nobody could get any, Drakeford has had no hand in vaccine provision in Wales. Hats off to the NHS Nurses and RAF personnel managing the provision here in South Wales.
    It's devolved, isn't it? Or are you saying there is no political decision made regarding vaccines whatsoever in Wales?
  • Options

They must be ready to supply in that case, no need for a rolling regulatory submission if they were starting deliveries all the way in July.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    The is the idiot who was moaning about some PPE being withdrawn because it was defective, even though such things happen hundreds of times per year for medical products even when there isn't a pandemic. He is a bit of a berk, not half as clever or as funny as he thinks he is.
  • Options

August 14th: Under the terms of the agreement, Novavax will supply 60 million doses of NVX-CoV2373 to the UK beginning as early as the first quarter of 2021. Excess supply of antigen manufactured at the FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies site in Billingham, Stockton-on-Tees may be available for Novavax to sell to additional markets outside the UK.

Old link?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

Floater said:

Entirely unsurprising.

A politician on the up, I sense.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

On all three of those schemes it turned out to be a win for HMG. I'm convinced the only reason they wanted the UK to join the EU scheme (despite the UK not actually being a member) was ideological.

Of course it was, it couldn't possibly have been due to any real analysis of the merits of being in or out, as you could probably fit the people capable of making such a call into a single small office.
  • Options

I don't know where this July timeframe is coming from, I sat through a pretty long presentation last week that said they were already in manufacturing with a pilot production process which is in scale up with volume deliveries set for "late Q1".
  • Options
    TimT said:

Floater said:

Floater said:
    In the 94% of the study population that did not have HIV, the efficacy was 60%. One patient on placebo developed severe Covid-19, compared with zero in the vaccine group.

But in a 4,400-volunteer study in South Africa, the vaccine proved only 49% effective. In the 94% of the study population that did not have HIV, the efficacy was 60%.
    I don't think those numbers add up. 6% of 4,400 is 264. So non-HIV = 4,136 @ 60% = 2482 effective

There cannot be more effective results in the subset than there is in the whole.
    Perhaps that bloke from Handelsblatt has been moonlighting?

Anyway, I'm sure plenty of other numbers (not to mention the full peer-reviewed write-up) will be available for PBers to pick over in due course.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    TimT said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Tim - I just copied from here

https://www.statnews.com/2021/01/28/novavax-says-its-covid-19-vaccine-is-90-effective-but-far-less-so-against-one-variant/?utm_content=bufferc1fbf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter_organic

Perhaps the full article elaborates
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

They must be ready to supply in that case, no need for a rolling regulatory submission if they were starting deliveries all the way in July.
    Fire up the Quattro...
  • Options
    RobD said:

On all three of those schemes it turned out to be a win for HMG. I'm convinced the only reason they wanted the UK to join the EU scheme (despite the UK not actually being a member) was ideological.
    I recall at the time thinking it a poor seeming decision, taken for ideological reasons in opposition to the EU, but the strength of that type of reaction must have been over the top even at the time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I don't know where this July timeframe is coming from, I sat through a pretty long presentation last week that said they were already in manufacturing with a pilot production process which is in scale up with volume deliveries set for "late Q1".
    I hope that isn't like my 3080Ti was supposed to be coming Q1.....
  • Options
    edited January 2021

If anything, that makes me more sympathetic to Bojo and Carrie. They are suffering this shit like the rest of us (as they should). They are lonely, bored, frustrated, and prone to depression.

It's a damn plague. This is what it is.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I hope that isn't like my 3080Ti was supposed to be coming Q1.....
    Just do what Cartman did with his iPad and slap a 3080Ti sticker on your old 2080.
  • Options
    Again I'm amazed at the lack of response.

I've now said a number of times that the Germans want to use other peoples as guinea pigs. Nobody has protested on their behalf. Does that mean I'm right, or that it's such a ludicrous suggestion (despite the evidence of the guinea pig they've used in Israel for Pfizer and which they're bound to use in us for AZ and others).

At least they're not forcing it on us, I suppose.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Not such good news on its effectiveness against the South African variant.
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1354899824370462722
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

✔️ 89% efficiency
    ✔️ Teeside manufacture

So UK orders are:

AZN 100m - 2 dose
    Pfizer 40m - 2 dose
    Moderna 7m - 2 dose
    Novavax 60m - 2 dose ?
    Valneva 60m - 2 dose ?
    17m from Moderna now, we ordered an extra 10m after they increased their expected capacity in the European supply line.
    If there is any spare capacity for Novavex in Billingham we should buy it up.

Even if the UK doesn't need the supply it can be donated, through the DfID, to other countries.
  • Options

What was the effectiveness at preventing serious illness with the SA variant? If that was higher, it isn't all bad.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

So UK orders are:

AZN 100m - 2 dose
    Pfizer 40m - 2 dose
    Moderna 7m - 2 dose
    Novavax 60m - 2 dose ?
    Valneva 60m - 2 dose ?

All of which is extremely impressive - of that there is no doubt. We decided to bet the bank (financially) on human ingenuity and that's a bet which will always come in.

I'm firmly convinced more and better vaccines will come along before too long.

I'm still doubtful of the strategy behind the vaccination programme but I cannot but admire at how efficient and effective the logistics are though my anecdotal experience is there are considerable inconsistencies across the country. We need to ensure the vaccination programme is effective everywhere and is reaching all it needs to as quickly as possible - there's no point one area getting to the 40 year olds while another is struggling to finish the 70 year olds.

It's not just about numbers but ensuring those most at risk are vaccinated as a priority.

The efficacy figures of the later vaccines are also re-assuring though the longevity of such an immunity remains, I suppose, open to question. I suspect we'll need another full vaccination programme in the autumn though again with improvements in vaccine we may be able to go longer periods between vaccinations as time goes on.

I'm also hugely impressed with the vaccine responses to new variants - it is a form of "arms" race (pun slightly intended) as vaccination tries to keep pace with any new mutations of the virus.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

“ Downing Street has refused to rule out the possibility of the UK sending vaccine supplies to the EU once the most vulnerable people in the UK have been vaccinated, assuming the timetable to vaccinate other adults by September stays on track. “

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jan/28/uk-covid-live-coronavirus-boris-johnson-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-vaccine-travel-quarantine-latest-updates

Do it Boris. Don’t listen to the rabid anti Christian ravers on PB. Their only religion is frothed up hatred of EU, that’s not Brexit is it?

Once vulnerable people in UK have been jabbed, share it Boris.

Keep your religion in your church please.

I think you'll find everyone here said that the EU getting doses once everyone in the UK has had it would be fair enough. You were saying to do it before vaccinations here are completed.
    Agreed. Once our over 60s and potentially then key workers are done I would understand if vaccines for the likes of myself were diverted to help priority groups in Europe.
    When I said completed I meant completed. Everyone done.
    Insisting on everyone in one country being done before the vulnerable elsewhere is exactly the sort of vaccine nationalism that will prolong the pandemic.
    Er, what? I'm happy to wait until older and more vulnerable Britons have been protected, but no way am I waiting until all those groups in the entire EU have been done! There's altruism, and then there's masochistic martyrdom.
    A natural enough impulse but the decision makers will hopefully be more far-sighted. From each according to their abilities. To each according to their needs. This must be more than a platitude on the global vaccination. It must be the guiding spirit. Otherwise forget about getting out of this before many more years have passed.
    In your world do we have to wait for Germany to vax all over 65s with Pfizer before we're allowed to vax the rest of ours with AZ?
    No. Of course not.
    You said it was right for us to divert our vaccines to the EU until all their priority groups are done.

You want us to make a special case against Germany?
    I didn't. You're being anal. I'm saying we must avoid a nationalistic "competition" approach to vaccination. We need a guiding MO of pragmatic collectivism. If everyone here is done and nobody in France - say - this is a failure. It might be their failure but so what. Their failure is everyone's. We need an internationalist approach. The point is even more obvious with poorer countries. It's not altruism. It's the only way to get out of this.
    Our government has paid seven times more per capita than the apparently wealthier and more powerful EU to get our citizens - who are still dying far faster than our ill-prepared neighbours - vaccinated first, and you want us to give it away to them?

Pure, unadulterated remainia.
    We're at cross purposes. I'm saying something and you're hearing something else.
  • Options
    ...through the government’s Vaccine Taskforce, the UK has secured early access to 367 million doses of 7 of the most promising vaccine candidates, including:
    - BioNTech/Pfizer – Approved - 40 million doses secured
    - Oxford/Astra Zeneca –Approved - 100 million doses secured
    - Moderna – Approved - 17 million doses secured
    - Novavax – Phase III - 60 million doses secured
    - Janssen – Phase III - 30 million doses secured
    - GSK/Sanofi – Phase I / II - 60 million doses secured
    - Valneva – Phase I / II - 60 million doses secured, with an option to acquire a further 130 million if the vaccine is proven to be safe, effective and suitable.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/novavax-publishes-positive-efficacy-data-for-its-covid-19-vaccine
  • Options
    Puts tinfoil hat on....The UK government response to the temper tantrum from the EU has been remarkable calm and collected, you don't think they knew this news already? And have an idea about J&J one as well do you?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Novovax: Creating tomorrow's vaccines today

Well it's no wonder the EU think these companies overpromise if even their slogans promise to bend time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

What was the effectiveness at preventing serious illness with the SA variant? If that was higher, it isn't all bad.
    And it had higher efficacy in people without AIDS, which is what would be applicable for the UK. With an update it should be fine.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brom said:

gealbhan said:

“ Downing Street has refused to rule out the possibility of the UK sending vaccine supplies to the EU once the most vulnerable people in the UK have been vaccinated, assuming the timetable to vaccinate other adults by September stays on track. “

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jan/28/uk-covid-live-coronavirus-boris-johnson-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-vaccine-travel-quarantine-latest-updates

Do it Boris. Don’t listen to the rabid anti Christian ravers on PB. Their only religion is frothed up hatred of EU, that’s not Brexit is it?

Once vulnerable people in UK have been jabbed, share it Boris.

Keep your religion in your church please.

I think you'll find everyone here said that the EU getting doses once everyone in the UK has had it would be fair enough. You were saying to do it before vaccinations here are completed.
    Agreed. Once our over 60s and potentially then key workers are done I would understand if vaccines for the likes of myself were diverted to help priority groups in Europe.
    When I said completed I meant completed. Everyone done.
    Insisting on everyone in one country being done before the vulnerable elsewhere is exactly the sort of vaccine nationalism that will prolong the pandemic.
    Er, what? I'm happy to wait until older and more vulnerable Britons have been protected, but no way am I waiting until all those groups in the entire EU have been done! There's altruism, and then there's masochistic martyrdom.
    A natural enough impulse but the decision makers will hopefully be more far-sighted. From each according to their abilities. To each according to their needs. This must be more than a platitude on the global vaccination. It must be the guiding spirit. Otherwise forget about getting out of this before many more years have passed.
    In your world do we have to wait for Germany to vax all over 65s with Pfizer before we're allowed to vax the rest of ours with AZ?
    No. Of course not.
    You said it was right for us to divert our vaccines to the EU until all their priority groups are done.

You want us to make a special case against Germany?
    I didn't. You're being anal. I'm saying we must avoid a nationalistic "competition" approach to vaccination. We need a guiding MO of pragmatic collectivism. If everyone here is done and nobody in France - say - this is a failure. It might be their failure but so what. Their failure is everyone's. We need an internationalist approach. The point is even more obvious with poorer countries. It's not altruism. It's the only way to get out of this.
    Yes it is their failure and it is their responsibility to prevent themselves from failing, to take responsibility for their actions and to do better.

In this country the vaccine should be used to eliminate the virus. Once that's done people can get back to work, stop shielding, lift restrictions and rebuild businesses that have been shuttered. That is the only way to get out of this.

After we're out of this we can assist others in catching up with us.

For someone like Ms Cyclefree who is struggling to keep alive her bar why the hell should we keep her under restrictions or worse closed while we ship our vaccines to France because they failed to buy enough? We need to look after ourselves then get on with charity.
    Completely the wrong mindset. It's a global pandemic.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

Pfizer announced that it's vaccine's efficacy was "slightly less" against the South African variant.

And I also want to know how much it (Novavax) protects against severe illness.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    stodge said:

So UK orders are:

AZN 100m - 2 dose
    Pfizer 40m - 2 dose
    Moderna 7m - 2 dose
    Novavax 60m - 2 dose ?
    Valneva 60m - 2 dose ?

All of which is extremely impressive - of that there is no doubt. We decided to bet the bank (financially) on human ingenuity and that's a bet which will always come in.

I'm firmly convinced more and better vaccines will come along before too long.

I'm still doubtful of the strategy behind the vaccination programme but I cannot but admire at how efficient and effective the logistics are though my anecdotal experience is there are considerable inconsistencies across the country. We need to ensure the vaccination programme is effective everywhere and is reaching all it needs to as quickly as possible - there's no point one area getting to the 40 year olds while another is struggling to finish the 70 year olds.

It's not just about numbers but ensuring those most at risk are vaccinated as a priority.

The efficacy figures of the later vaccines are also re-assuring though the longevity of such an immunity remains, I suppose, open to question. I suspect we'll need another full vaccination programme in the autumn though again with improvements in vaccine we may be able to go longer periods between vaccinations as time goes on.

I'm also hugely impressed with the vaccine responses to new variants - it is a form of "arms" race (pun slightly intended) as vaccination tries to keep pace with any new mutations of the virus.
    Vaccination is a numbers game, the order doesn't matter so much if we do 4-5m per week as you get through the adult population in 10 weeks. It only matters if the numbers are small, under 1m per week. Thankfully our infrastructure can support 4-5m jabs per week, we just need the supply issues to resolve themselves over the next few weeks. This new vaccine will help that I hope.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

I like the fact that most of those calling us xenophobic bigots are complaining at the people who are saying morally it it better to help the third world that european nations.....the thought occurs they are total hypocritical bigots

I'm not moralising or name calling. I'm just making the point that a nationalistic warrior approach is the wrong one here. It will get in the way.
  • Options
    The announcement from Novavax raises the stakes for Johnson & Johnson. The company was expected to announce its results as early as last weekend, and the delay has triggered speculation among scientists that the firm has also discovered that its vaccine worked less well in South African trial volunteers who were infected with the variant. In an earnings call on Tuesday, Alex Gorsky, the chief executive officer of the company, said they were looking forward to sharing results from their late-stage trial by early next week.

• Options
    The gov.uk press release for the Novavax announcement has dropped. Unless I'm being blind there's no indication of production/delivery schedules unfortunately, but there is at least this reassurance with regard to the trials:

"The data published today come from more than 15,000 people who were recruited through the National Institute of Health Research vaccine registry, which was launched in July 2020 to support the UK’s efforts to deliver vaccines for COVID-19. Nearly 4,000 people in the study were over the age of 65."

So, no repeat of the ambiguity about the olds seen with the Oxford jab.
  • Options

Euro news just now

AZN refuse to divert UK supplies to the EU

Checkmate, EU commission.
  • Options
    Leon said:

If anything, that makes me more sympathetic to Bojo and Carrie. They are suffering this shit like the rest of us (as they should). They are lonely, bored, frustrated, and prone to depression.

It's a damn plague. This is what it is.
    At least BJ got a day trip to Livingston.
This discussion has been closed.