Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is Biden going honour his commitment to make Washington DC a state in its own right? – politicalbett

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,020
    Good morning. Didn't bother setting the alarm for 4am to listen to the cricket and just seen Sri Lanka collapsed to 126 all out.
  • Options

The Redwood hath pronounced on the issue of the day. Can we expect a rendition of Address to a Haggis in strangled Scotchness? I wonder if the indiscriminate weird double spacing in his tweets reflects his dislocated thought processes?

twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1353591535766560773?s=21

Redwood's last two sentences are right though, or certainly the final one: Set out the advantages of the UK’s single market, currency and defence Unions. Spare us Project Fear again.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    the pressure to vaccinate teachers soon and get schools open is building this morning by looks of things.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Gordo Brown on R4 saying the UK will endure if the argument in defence of it is made properly followed by ‘we need a constitutional commission’ & some Orwellian ‘I’m a patriot not a nationalist’ guff. This fresh, new thinking is bound to do the trick.

The problem with the Union is that there is an ever decreasing sentiment for it, even if there is an economic case.

Union was largely driven by external threat, either because England felt threatened by the back door, hence conquest, or by the threat from France, Germany or Soviet Union giving a more positive reason to stand together.

There is simply little reason for it anymore other than accidents of history.
    No nothing at all except to stop Customs Posts at Berwick, inevitable in the event of Scexit or to ensure our place in the G7 and as permanent members of the UN Security Council and protect our place in the world.

Plus of course Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland all have large deficits, only London and the SE raises more in revenue than it spends so if Scotland went independent that would mean deep spending cuts and tax rises would be required from Edinburgh to avoid Scotland going bankrupt. Dublin has also ruled out a border poll for at least 5 years as it does not want to have to fund NI anytime soon
    Having now left the EU CU, the Berwick border is going to be a feature of another Scotland referendum in a way that it wasn’t in 2014.

If an independent Scotland were to join the EU, is there any possible way that we don’t have physical border infrastructure on the M6 and A1, and a rebuilding of Hadrian’s wall in barbed wire?
    No there isn't, there would be a hard border along Hadrian's Wall with customs posts and border guards
    Hadrian's wall is in England you pillock.

I live north of Hadrian's wall and there's another 50 miles of England north of me.
    The wall is just 0.6 miles from the Scottish border at Bowness-on-Solway
    You can never concede a point can you?
    Given he still hasn't admitted getting the EU Ref turnout in Scotland wrong yesterday I think it is safe to say it is a vanishingly rare event.
    And his chances of standing for an mp are also vanishing
    why do you say that?
    I agree, they vanished long ago.

Or to put it another way, would anyone be mad keen to see Hyufd in Parliament?

Many sterling qualities - good manners, intelligence, an understanding of polling and polling methods matched by few on this board (and certainly better than mine) - but neither the flexibility of mind nor the intellectual courage to make proper policy based on evidence, because he simply refuses to see evidence that doesn't fit his theories. That's not what you want in an MP.
    Ah but @HYUFD only went to Warwick University so unfortunately he is not intelligent enough to be an MP by his own measure.

Shame, but we only want the best.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Gordo Brown on R4 saying the UK will endure if the argument in defence of it is made properly followed by ‘we need a constitutional commission’ & some Orwellian ‘I’m a patriot not a nationalist’ guff. This fresh, new thinking is bound to do the trick.

The problem with the Union is that there is an ever decreasing sentiment for it, even if there is an economic case.

Union was largely driven by external threat, either because England felt threatened by the back door, hence conquest, or by the threat from France, Germany or Soviet Union giving a more positive reason to stand together.

No nothing at all except to stop Customs Posts at Berwick, inevitable in the event of Scexit or to ensure our place in the G7 and as permanent members of the UN Security Council and protect our place in the world.

Plus of course Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland all have large deficits, only London and the SE raises more in revenue than it spends so if Scotland went independent that would mean deep spending cuts and tax rises would be required from Edinburgh to avoid Scotland going bankrupt. Dublin has also ruled out a border poll for at least 5 years as it does not want to have to fund NI anytime soon
    Having now left the EU CU, the Berwick border is going to be a feature of another Scotland referendum in a way that it wasn’t in 2014.

If an independent Scotland were to join the EU, is there any possible way that we don’t have physical border infrastructure on the M6 and A1, and a rebuilding of Hadrian’s wall in barbed wire?
    No there isn't, there would be a hard border along Hadrian's Wall with customs posts and border guards

I live north of Hadrian's wall and there's another 50 miles of England north of me.
    Given he still hasn't admitted getting the EU Ref turnout in Scotland wrong yesterday I think it is safe to say it is a vanishingly rare event.
    why do you say that?

Many sterling qualities - good manners, intelligence, an understanding of polling and polling methods matched by few on this board (and certainly better than mine) - but neither the flexibility of mind nor the intellectual courage to make proper policy based on evidence, because he simply refuses to see evidence that doesn't fit his theories. That's not what you want in an MP.
    Ah but @HYUFD only went to Warwick University so unfortunately he is not intelligent enough to be an MP by his own measure.

True, but he also spent a year at the greatest university in the world.
  • Options
    Dom Sibley isn't going to make it out of single figures in India.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?
    His comments on Scotland
    He has only reiterated govt policy and explained the technicalities involved in it.
    It is not government policy to send troops and install razor wire at Berwick

The fact anyone can say such obnoxious comments and hold such views can represent a major UK political party is unacceptable
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?

I didn't realise he went to Newcastle University for a year?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Such borders are only necessary as long as they are needed in the Irish Sea and at Dover.

The Anglo-Scottish border is only a nightmare if England chooses for it to be a nightmare elsewhere.
    Whole point of discussing it first, would be to get agreement that there will not be a physical border between England and Scotland.

That’s not a problem for England, but is a potential problem for Scotland if they wish to join the EU.
    Indeed, England could correctly say that if Scotland wishes to stay part of the UK single market and stay out of the EU and EEA and EU Customs Union a hard border could be avoided.

However if Scotland voted for independence to rejoin the EU, the EEA or Customs Union, the border guards and razor wire would be sent to Berwick the next day
    Your comments re razor wire at Berwick are obnoxious and unacceptable
    Off topic

The problem you have, is HYUFD writes without irony, and he speaks for a significant number of people who have their hands on the levers of power within Johnson's Conservative Party. Indeed yesterday HYUFD was celebrating the re-elevation of a like-minded soul to First Minister in waiting here in Wales.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029
    TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?
    Because there are so many things on this site which can be used against him in the future...
  • Options

The Redwood hath pronounced on the issue of the day. Can we expect a rendition of Address to a Haggis in strangled Scotchness? I wonder if the indiscriminate weird double spacing in his tweets reflects his dislocated thought processes?

twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1353591535766560773?s=21

Redwood's last two sentences are right though, or certainly the final one: Set out the advantages of the UK’s single market, currency and defence Unions. Spare us Project Fear again.

This is an excellent positive case for the Union (a little out of date, but still the best I've ever seen) by our very own @Cicero

http://cicerossongs.blogspot.com/2014/02/a-positive-case-for-britain-where-to.html
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Why would we put the border inside England?
    Illustrates how thick and stupid he really is , does not even know where England ends but constantly whines about being a Scotch expert. You could not make it up.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Such borders are only necessary as long as they are needed in the Irish Sea and at Dover.

The Anglo-Scottish border is only a nightmare if England chooses for it to be a nightmare elsewhere.
    Whole point of discussing it first, would be to get agreement that there will not be a physical border between England and Scotland.

That’s not a problem for England, but is a potential problem for Scotland if they wish to join the EU.
    Indeed, England could correctly say that if Scotland wishes to stay part of the UK single market and stay out of the EU and EEA and EU Customs Union a hard border could be avoided.

However if Scotland voted for independence to rejoin the EU, the EEA or Customs Union, the border guards and razor wire would be sent to Berwick the next day
    Off topic

The problem you have, is HYUFD writes without irony, and he speaks for a significant number of people who have their hands on the levers of power within Johnson's Conservative Party. Indeed yesterday HYUFD was celebrating the re-elevation of a like-minded soul to First Minister in waiting here in Wales.
    I share your comments on RT but his threats of army and razor wire is not supported by I expect anyone but himself
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,284
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Great vaccine news, with U.K. now over 10% of population, well ahead of the whole world bar two small and rich countries.

Israel over 40% now, and UAE over 25%, should start to see some useful data on effectiveness in the next few weeks.

What a stunning success story by the UK.

I do wish all my fellow remainers, who are so wont to leap on every little Brexit problem, would have the good grace to acknowledge this. And the massive contrast with the shambles in the EU.
    Usual jingoistic gloating , pretty despicable as ever. Try boasting about your topping of the death table perhaps and maybe the public corruption league.
    You have nothing to offer but hate have you? You have no evidence for any of that. Indeed, Transparency International rates the UK is the 12 least corrupt nation in the world - could do better but in the top 10% of the least corrupt nations in the world. Your nationalistic hate eats you up little by litle daily. I pity you you sad sad despicable little man.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?

Aber 't he went to an even better one...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?

It's exactly what a government wants in an MP.

Everything @HYUFD writes on here is, in the back or front of his mind, writen so that it can be used at his PPC selection committee. It reflects govt policy and points out some of the issues with any contra-policy.

Does he fulfil other PPC selection criteria? No idea. But (if) his aim is to become an MP he is not hindering it by his posts on PB.

Are they as wry, arch and knowing as the rest of our posts? No, but that's not his aim.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. G, whisky's nice, whether you know a lot about it or not much at all.
  • Options

the pressure to vaccinate teachers soon and get schools open is building this morning by looks of things.

Apparently it will not stop the spread of the virus even when teachers are vaccinated
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Off topic

I share your comments on RT but his threats of army and razor wire is not supported by I expect anyone but himself
    If they wanted to lose spectacularly couldn't they at least have gone for something different by elevating Russell George?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?

:D No such thing. Even super Lisa Nandy went to Newcastle!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?
    His comments on Scotland
    He has only reiterated govt policy and explained the technicalities involved in it.

The fact anyone can say such obnoxious comments and hold such views can represent a major UK political party is unacceptable
    Has he said that? He has cited other instances of reactions to proposed UDI and drawn parallels when pushed.

Big G given that if it was government policy to send troops and install razor wire at Berwick you would, after two "I'm not having any of this" posts, fully support such a policy I think we don't need to worry about your thoughts on the matter.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,629
    eek said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Controlling borders = sovereignty. All countries have an external border of course.
    But we can go further. The more borders within one's country, the more sovereignty. See Kent, Irish sea.
    I, for one, welcome our new Cumbrian-Northumberland sovereign entity. Newcastle United are almost certain to win something there, never-mind the SPL.
    Surely this would depend if Sunderland were also within the border of the new entity?
    Aren't Sunderland that small and inconsequential third division club? I forget.

However Blyth Spartans might be the danger.
    Blyth Spartans are in trouble anyway - as their season is suspended pending cancellation.
    How is Percy Main getting on?

• Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?
    Because there are so many things on this site which can be used against him in the future...
    I really don't think there are.

List five. OK three.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?

:D No such thing. Even super Lisa Nandy went to Newcastle!
    Aber had Hyufd, Sandpit, me, Prince Charles and Nick Bourne. What more evidence of quality do you want?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1353591535766560773?s=21

The mere fact that this irritating half-wit is so often wheeled out as a Tory Grandee, speaks volumes for the state of Grandeeship within the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Illustrates how thick and stupid he really is , does not even know where England ends but constantly whines about being a Scotch expert. You could not make it up.
    To be fair Malc, I have never heard HYUFD speak about whisky
  • Options
    I'd like to propose that all header writers include a paragraph about HYUFD.

Then at least all of these tortuously boring posts about his posts would be on topic.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?
    His comments on Scotland

Has he said that? He has cited other instances of reactions to proposed UDI and drawn parallels when pushed.

Big G given that if it was government policy to send troops and install razor wire at Berwick you would, after two "I'm not having any of this" posts, fully support such a policy I think we don't need to worry about your thoughts on the matter.
    Utterly absurd comment

I would reject anybody or any political party who threatened violence in any shape or form
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    Anyone who doesn’t want to feel old, look away now.

“Smells Like Teen Spirit”, by Nirvana, was released 30 years ago.

https://spectator.us/topic/kurt-cobain-well-whatever-never-mind/

“ He would be dead three years later. Watching Kurt wrestle with fame and addiction and genius was like watching an acrobat on a tightrope, drunk. You knew you were probably going to watch this person die — but you couldn’t turn away. It was inevitable. Having read some of his published journals, it was a self-fulfilling prophecy. There was no alternate ending to his story, and Kurt knew that too.

“And I guess that’s how it’s felt watching America play out the past 30 years, the past five in particular. The failure of our education system, the media incentivized to divide us, the Wild West internet where some folks find gold and other find madness…all of it leading to this moment where America self-destructs, spectacularly, inevitably.”
  • Options
    For anyone really interested in how screwed the Tories are when it comes to Scottish Independence I suspect this will reveal the large levels of delusion involved

https://twitter.com/CPSThinkTank/status/1353621127176744960
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?
    His comments on Scotland

Utterly absurd comment

I would reject anybody or any political party who threatened violence in any shape or form
    Big G you have told us countless times how you would reject something this government has done, coming close, I believe, to resigning your Cons party memberhsip at one point (or more).

And yet here you are, a full on Conservative Party member and supporter.
  • Options
    eek said:

For anyone really interested in how screwed the Tories are when it comes to Scottish Independence I suspect this will reveal the large levels of delusion involved

https://twitter.com/CPSThinkTank/status/1353621127176744960

Gordon Brown was good on Sky earlier
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,152

Apparently it will not stop the spread of the virus even when teachers are vaccinated
    But it might stop them moaning....

• Options

The mere fact that this irritating half-wit is so often wheeled out as a Tory Grandee, speaks volumes for the state of Grandeeship within the Conservative Party.
    I don't think he's wheeled out - more used as an easily accessible point for an opinion that will always do as much harm as good and provide additional talking points.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?

Cardigan Bay Poly?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,212

Extolling the virtues of being in a single market...

Astonishing, if it weren't so predictable.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    What are the arguments against statehood for DC, apart from eeek, that means more Democratic senators? It seems completely indefensible, like excluding Inner London from having MPs. It's not as though the Electoral Colle was biased to the Democrats.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?
    His comments on Scotland

Utterly absurd comment

Big G you have told us countless times how you would reject something this government has done, coming close, I believe, to resigning your Cons party memberhsip at one point (or more).

And yet here you are, a full on Conservative Party member and supporter.
    Indeed but not the army and razor wire intervention in Scotland

You seen to forget my family are Scots and I love the Country and its people

I want to retain the union but not by violence and disorder
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,040

This government could really do with someone to whisper "remember you are mortal" in their ears.

Scottish independence does seem to have an air of inevitability about it now.

I was zooming with some of my students last night (my lockdown social circle is aged 16-21 hence my fierce meme game) and some of them thought it was already happening. If the notion has penetrated into their apolitical and sheltered zeitgeist then it's on.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

What are the arguments against statehood for DC, apart from eeek, that means more Democratic senators? It seems completely indefensible, like excluding Inner London from having MPs. It's not as though the Electoral Colle was biased to the Democrats.

If you look at it objectively it makes no sense whatsoever but it has been that way for over 200 years. Americans are weird, let's face it.
  • Options

I thought you of all people would not expect politicians to have principles Nick!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

R4 Professor Finn on the BMA “might be better to understand before making pronouncements” on extending gap between vaccinations.

The BMA plays politics - as always.
  • Options
    Dr. Palmer, your idea of excluding inner London from having MPs could be the vote-winner Labour needs in the North!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?
    His comments on Scotland
    That is worthy of a Whopper of the Year Darwinian Award
  • Options
    eek said:

I don't think he's wheeled out - more used as an easily accessible point for an opinion that will always do as much harm as good and provide additional talking points.
    You are probably correct. However, life used to be so much more reassuring when a comment from the Conservative Party on issues of the day came from the likes of Howe or Heseltine.

Where is William Hague when we need him?
  • Options

Dr. Palmer, your idea of excluding inner London from having MPs could be the vote-winner Labour needs in the North!

As long as 'inner London' includes Uxbridge and Epping Forest I'm in.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?

Surely perfect in today’s batshit Tory party?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?
    His comments on Scotland
    Malc just talking about Whoppers makes me want one right now. Or even a Big Mac.

Actually I'd settle for a Domino's Mighty Meaty.
  • Options

MattW said:

Uh-oh.

New word report on Radio 5.

"Opportunitism".

It seems to be Adrian Giles' fault.

Good morning all.

I have no problem with coining new words providing they're not execrable. That's a good example of the latter.

I have a number of other pet hates. 'Connectivity' is the kind of geek-speak I loathe and 'optics' is another as in, 'the optics of this don't look good.' Yuck.

Oh and another which really grates is the waffly and self-important phrase, 'That said,' beloved of some thread writers on here.

The art of good prose is not to cause the reader to stop and think about the writer.
    Oh dear, I used "connectivity" for the first time ever on the previous thread.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?

Cardigan Bay Poly?
    Oh dear, people still confuse Aberystwyth and Lampeter.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

rkrkrk said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Controlling borders = sovereignty. All countries have an external border of course.
    But we can go further. The more borders within one's country, the more sovereignty. See Kent, Irish sea.
    I, for one, welcome our new Cumbrian-Northumberland sovereign entity. Newcastle United are almost certain to win something there, never-mind the SPL.
    No chance Blyth Spartans would smash them!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,995
    Can a State be created by majority vote, or is it a change in the constitution?

I don't see how non-representation for Washington can be justified, it seems a stretch to make it into a State. Why not just incorporate it into Maryland?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Then at least all of these tortuously boring posts about his posts would be on topic.

You don't know what tortuously means.

I have recently flipped from being concerned on HYUFD's behalf that his posting may wreck his prospects of a political career, to being certain it will and being glad about that.

He was warned.
  • Options
    Boris wants your children to turn you in.

Covert child agents can break the law if it means they will be able to glean information that could prevent or detect crime, protect public health, safety, or national security or help collect taxes, says the guidance, quietly laid by the Government this month.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/24/tory-revolt-looms-state-plans-use-child-spies-against-parents/

Yeah but that Jeremy Corbyn...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I don't see how non-representation for Washington can be justified, it seems a stretch to make it into a State. Why not just incorporate it into Maryland?

I think that would appear be the fairest solution but I don't know how big the 'DC' identity is. Seems problematic to force DC into Maryland if it's not what the citizens of DC (or Maryland) want.

And of course the Dems want the senators.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    One thing I do respect about HYUFD is that he voted Remain and has never recanted from conceding that Brexit is economically damaging (albeit necessary, having voted for it).

That’s actually a lot more honest than many posters who scoffed unto the end that any economic harm was just “Project Fear”.
  • Options

Never! Moaning is what keeps us so cheerful!

But seriously folks- the problem with schools isn't so much the teachers, even if it would help to put each child in their own personal zorb ball.

It's that it's hard to impossible to open schools normally without having so much social contact that the overall infection rate goes up again.

Kids in schools spread this thing- in practice, if not in theory.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

How dare the Democrats attempt to Gerrymander the country - that's our (GOP) job.

I don't see it being this year but it will be done by 2022 - the Democrats won't be sure when they will next be able to do it.

What I can't work out is whether it will be Puerto Rico as well..
  • Options

The constitutional theory is that America is a federal union of equal states.

To ensure no one state was favoured by the federal government, they declared the capital would not be part of any state. So Virginia and Maryland each ceded a small part of their territory (roughly in the middle of the original 13 states) to create a capital territory on neutral ground. (Virginia regained its territory later.) That is in the constitution so to create DC in its entirety as a state would require a constitutional amendment.

This is in fact quite common - for example, Australia has a similar arrangement with Canberra.

What is rarer is that it was declared as it is not part of the fifty states, it could not send representatives to the congress of the United States. Instead, it would elect a Mayor who answered directly to Congress.

That's why they are were they are. It's an 18th century anachronism like the EC.

The reality of course is that the founding fathers thought the Federal Government would be a small, weak thing with most governing done at state level. Most people in DC, they thought, would be slaves watching over townhouses and people would only gather there a few times a year. They never foresaw the behemoth it would become and all the people that would have to live there to make it work.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I think that would appear be the fairest solution but I don't know how big the 'DC' identity is. Seems problematic to force DC into Maryland if it's not what the citizens of DC (or Maryland) want.

In an ideal world, the DCers would vote for their preferred option. City-states in a federal system are not unknown, see Hamburg.
  • Options

Covert child agents can break the law if it means they will be able to glean information that could prevent or detect crime, protect public health, safety, or national security or help collect taxes, says the guidance, quietly laid by the Government this month.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/24/tory-revolt-looms-state-plans-use-child-spies-against-parents/

My word, given how many opportunities he's got for traitors in his family...
  • Options

Johnson has to say no to this.
  • Options

Moaning is the product from X number of years of the verbal waterboarding they endure from our precious offspring.

Would you do it for 30 grand a year?
  • Options
    Mr. JohnL, that sounds creepy as hell.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

But seriously folks- the problem with schools isn't so much the teachers, even if it would help to put each child in their own personal zorb ball.

It's that it's hard to impossible to open schools normally without having so much social contact that the overall infection rate goes up again.

R certainly goes up. Whether cases go up depends on whether the 20%/week falls at the moment provide enough headroom. Maybe for primarily schools. No way for secondary schools.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2021
    ydoethur said:

Aber had Hyufd, Sandpit, me, Prince Charles and Nick Bourne. What more evidence of quality do you want?

YDoethur, you omitted Neil Hamilton from the list of the famous :)

Tbf, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge are similarly reticent.

As is pb's resident Cambridge University braggadocio.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

In an ideal world, the DCers would vote for their preferred option. City-states in a federal system are not unknown, see Hamburg.
    Maybe the GOP could arrange Virginia seceding back the DC suburbs like Arlington to DC? That way DC gets the new senators but Virginia gets more GOP friendly? Could be a compromise.
  • Options
    Farage's new party Reform UK already on 5% in Wales.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1351302000240160768
  • Options

Moaning is the product from X number of years of the verbal waterboarding they endure from our precious offspring.

That's not quite true.

We get it from parents, politicians and bureaucrats as well.

As we see from the abuse I get on this board when I point out inconvenient facts.

Makes it very easy to develop a siege mentality, especially given the very long hours we have to work.

Although this wonderful clip concentrates on your point rather than mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T8ovblvQM0
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?

Cardigan Bay Poly?
    I’ve always been intrigued by Lampeter, since a old connection of mine from student days - scion of a NZ wine dynasty - went off to do a PhD in Philosophy there.

It seemed an odd choice, tbh.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

R certainly goes up. Whether cases go up depends on whether the 20%/week falls at the moment provide enough headroom. Maybe for primarily schools. No way for secondary schools.
    Late January to early February has always been predicted to be the worst period of this second (maybe even third) wave. We have to get past that to see. It's too early to decide anything yet.

If anyone wants to grab at straws the Worldometer global cases chart shows a definate downtick, driven largely by an improving situation here and in the States.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I have recently flipped from being concerned on HYUFD's behalf that his posting may wreck his prospects of a political career, to being certain it will and being glad about that.

He was warned.
    I do know, but missed an r. Good spot! Torturously.

The posts about HYUFD's post are indeed not boring in a winding and complicated way.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Well they're on the same as the Brexit Party was. Which makes sense considering they are the same party.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Mostly from Labour, from the look of it.

Would fit, as their strongest area in 2019 was the Valleys.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Can't be. Brexit Party was on 5%. Now Refuck are on 5%. So no swing.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Johnson has to say no to this.
    Sounds like an utter nightmare.

However, it’s in the Telegraph, which is essentially “the Express” for people who wear mustard trousers.

I don’t believe a single word of any Telegraph article these days.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,629
    edited January 2021
    The temperate wisdom of David Allen Green on Brexit and UK and political unions deserves a wide audience

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/01/why-it-is-possible-to-be-neutral-about-brexit-in-principle-and-how-this-may-even-be-a-good-thing/

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

He was warned.

The posts about HYUFD's post are indeed not boring in a winding and complicated way.
    The first several years of my legal career were a battle between me an spellcheck over the existence of the word "tortious" as opposed to its preferred "tortuous"
  • Options

A lot of head teachers earn very high salaries for what is a demanding role, but nonetheless very secure when compared to private sector positions on those types of salary.

Therefore there is a financially rewarding career pathway for teachers should they choose it and are good enough. If a teacher decides to remain a teacher for all their career (average salary 37k, but can in some cases rise to upper 50s, that is very vocational and commendable, but it is a lifestyle choice. The idea that we should feel sorry for teachers' salaries doesn't wash with me, but it also doesn't stop me admiring what they do. And by the way, I think they should be a priority for vaccination.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

IshmaelZ said:

He was warned.

The first several years of my legal career were a battle between me an spellcheck over the existence of the word "tortious" as opposed to its preferred "tortuous"
    Same or v. similar etymology, at a guess?
  • Options
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?

Cardigan Bay Poly?
    I’ve always been intrigued by Lampeter, since a old connection of mine from student days - scion of a NZ wine dynasty - went off to do a PhD in Philosophy there.

It seemed an odd choice, tbh.
    It was set up by a former Bishop of St David's as a Welsh language college to train priests who could speak Welsh. Originally, the choice lay between Carmarthen and Llanddewi Brefi (I kid you not). But he was then gifted a large site in Lampeter to use for building a college, so it went there instead, opening in 1822. Effectively, it was styled as an independent Oxbridge college operating in Welsh.

Shame it didn't go to Carmarthen. That would probably be the capital of Wales by now if it had as surely the other university colleges would have gone there and it would have ended up about the size of Cambridge. The Church put the second university college there in 1848 but by then the damage was done.

And since Lampeter only offered theology, and Carmarthen only teacher training, when Aberystwyth was set up as a liberal arts college (again, because of the available site) offering non-denominational degrees from the University of London the whole thing got more confused. Again, it was originally intended to be a collegiate university in Aber itself. And again, if that had come off Aber would presumably now be the capital of Wales and about the size of Durham. Not until they set up the University College of South Wales in 1883 did they bow to demographics.
  • Options

One thing I do respect about HYUFD is that he voted Remain and has never recanted from conceding that Brexit is economically damaging (albeit necessary, having voted for it).

That’s actually a lot more honest than many posters who scoffed unto the end that any economic harm was just “Project Fear”.

Virtually everything that was warned about Brexit that was dismissed as "project fear" has largely come to pass. The only real Project Fear was that used by Leave fascists who wanted the gullible to believe that they were about to be overrun by Romanians
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

And given that any vote for Nigel is a vote for none of the above and no more of the same it makes perfect sense given how bad the Welsh Government have handled things.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Can't be. Brexit Party was on 5%. Now Refuck are on 5%. So no swing.
    Were they on the last opinion poll though?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,077
    edited January 2021

Similar question applies to Puerto Rico. Apart from a larger 'non-white' population, why is it different to Hawaii or Alaska?
  • Options
    "Pensions minister Therese Coffey turns off her camera during brutal GMB row with Piers Morgan after she blames 'age and obesity of population for UK having world's worst Covid death rate'"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9183635/Therese-Coffey-TURNS-camera-brutal-row-Piers-Morgan.html
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,565
    In the face of Covid, bickering about Scottish independence or speculating about statehood for DC feels like a pub brawl on the front line of the Somme.

Humanity - the entire species - all of us - is facing its greatest crisis since World War 2. This last week was the worst yet. Even if the crisis abates by summer, the economic, demographic, psychological consequences - nearly all of them awful - will be with us for a generation. So much damage is being done to so many people, places, businesses, countries.

And lurking just over the horizon is the reasonable worst-case scenario: the virus keeps mutating, rendering vaccines ineffective. In which case human society changes forever. Most travel ends. Borders close permanently. We have to spend 20% of GDP on healthcare - or let people die in the street.

This entire thread is decadent piffle.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021
    Andy_JS said:

What a great acronym REFUK is for Farage's new party, partcicularly if some in Wales want to put themselves through the same self-flagellation as they did when they voted for Brexit.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,152
    edited January 2021
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

why do you say that?
    His comments on Scotland
    Malc just talking about Whoppers makes me want one right now. Or even a Big Mac.

Actually I'd settle for a Domino's Mighty Meaty.
    Just resist the Big Malc - a quarter pounder with extra turnip.....
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181
    On topic, as a former DC resident I think Statehood is long overdue. You could make the case for ceding the territory back to Maryland, but DC is quite distinct from Maryland (even though some parts of Maryland are part of the metro DC area, just as parts of Northern Virginia are). DC is certainly large and distinct enough to be a State in its own right, certainly in a country that thinks that North and South Dakota deserve two Senators each... No Taxation Without Representation, as they say on the license plates.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Well they're on the same as the Brexit Party was. Which makes sense considering they are the same party.
    Refuk is a good name for a bunch of swivel eyed fascists
  • Options
    Leon said:

In the face of Covid, bickering about Scottish independence or speculating about statehood for DC feels like a pub brawl on the front line of the Somme.

Humanity - the entire species - all of us - is facing its greatest crisis since World War 2. This last week was the worst yet. Even if the crisis abates by summer, the economic, demographic, psychological consequences - nearly all of them awful - will be with us for a generation. So much damage is being done to so many people, places, businesses, countries.

And lurking just over the horizon is the reasonable worst-case scenario: the virus keeps mutating, rendering vaccines ineffective. In which case human society changes forever. Most travel ends. Borders close permanently. We have to spend 20% of GDP on healthcare - or let people die in the street.

Says a man who ostensibly earns a living making flint dildos.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

IshmaelZ said:

He was warned.

Same or v. similar etymology, at a guess?
    Not sure. I think "Tort" and thus "Tortious" comes from the Old French for "wrong" or "injustice". No idea about tortuous.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,000
    Having seen the shitshow of Brexit might an alternative plan Re a referendum and possible path to independence be to have a Scottish independence referendum that is effectively two parts. Part one is a referendum asking if they wish to enter negotiations to leave the UK which is not binding but will be followed at a later agreed date by a binding referendum once negotiations are complete.

Clearly the first referendum would be “yes” then would be a fixed period where the Scots and the rUK negotiate either a deal or no deal (as per brexit) followed by a vote based on the facts of what Scotland will have as a deal afterwards.

So the voters in second ref know what their currency situation will be, assets, liabilities, post exit financial position, relationship with EU based on constraints or otherwise of the deal/no deal.

If it’s a “bad deal” then maybe Scotland will still take it for independence but at least they know what they are voting for exactly and reduces the chances of project fear etc or false promises of sunlit uplands. It also has the benefit for those who are pro Union that the extra time this takes might result in a changed UK where brexit has settled down, BoJo no longer PM etc so pressure might have gone out of the situation.
  • Options

eek said:

You are probably correct. However, life used to be so much more reassuring when a comment from the Conservative Party on issues of the day came from the likes of Howe or Heseltine.

Where is William Hague when we need him?
    Keeping as far away as humanly possible from the Clusterf*** that is the modern Tory party.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    Leon said:

It is really hard to focus on it when there is a test match in the balance, that's for sure. The rest, not so much.
This discussion has been closed.