Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Remainers markedly more positive about Biden than leavers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Actually, I am an admirer of Wilberforce. He was a brave man who did great things, but, was he flawed? OF course he fucking was. But so is everyone. Martin Luther King is implicated in gang rape. Gandhi as an old man slept with his teenage nieces. Churchill was a bigoted old drunk, Lincoln was a classical racist.

If you want to tear down every statue of every man or woman with a flaw we now find unacceptable, I genuinely think you would have no statues of anyone born before about 1990. And in ten years we will tearing down them, as well. In 2030 we will be attacking statues of Barack Obama and David Attenborough. It is insane.

Iconoclasm is a classic symptom of a society in crisis.

Defcon 1 stachoo pulled down, British society is in crisis!
    What with Winny’s bust being removed and the special relationship fucked, we may as well start looking out the cyanide pills.
    All this is definitely about something other than statues. I'm going to give it some serious thought.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I presume this isn't made by Vicks...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,972
    edited January 2021
    On the topic of queue jumping my Mrs got added to group 2 list today, having previously been group 10, through inclusion in the social care worker category.
    I'm still stuck in group 9.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

Andy_JS said:

"TV licence fee decriminalisation decision shelved"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55754914

Cummings no longer in the building.
    He's off to buy a TV licence?
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

A new generation is growing up with the UK outside the EU.

As they did in the 70's when we were the sick man of Europe.

When that happens again there will be a campaign to rejoin, led by a Conservative and Unionist perhaps.
    Yes, quite possible. Start your Rejoin party now, like Alan Sked starting UKIP in about 1990. Took him a quarter of a century to get a vote. I remember meeting him back then in a bar in Fitzrovia. Smart guy, bit eccentric, good drinker.

So you should get your Rejoin vote in ~25 years (which seems right: that's a generation). 2040 or so. Good luck - and I mean that genuinely.

Politics relies on people caring about unfashionable causes, and making them fashionable.
    To be fair rejoin is fashionable now. Much more fashionable than I expected to be honest. Even I don't support rejoin!
    Wasn't there a survey about a week ago which had Rejoin:Remain Out:Don't Know at roughly a third each of the population? In which case the way that the DKs split (which surely depends on how well it ends up going) is going to be pretty important.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    edited January 2021
    dixiedean said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

It is fundamentally irrelevant to me that Biden's VP is a woman, because Biden literally announced that he wasn't even going to consider anyone for the position who wasn't.

Why do you think Biden made that pledge? And do you think THAT might be relevant?

Interesting to speculate after the fact, IF Uncle Joe's opponent would have done better - possibly enough to win - IF he'd dumped Mike Pence and substituted Nicki Haley?

Personally think the answer is, yes. Perhaps NOT enough to prevail, but then he didn't lose by all that much.
    Why? A combination of:

1) Combatting a perceived weakness due to his own dodgy history with women;
    2) Doubling down on Trump's pre-existing weakness among female voters; and
    3) Political convenience, since large numbers in his own party clearly believed it was important.

Possibly a minor component of believing it was the "right" thing to do of his own accord, but it would still carry a lot more weight with me if he'd simply announced that Harris was the best person for the job. As I recall, there was some speculation at the time he'd privately committed to a BAME VP pick to shore up his primary chances in the South, which effectively means Harris had no competition beyond Stacey Abrams.
    All of which may be true.
    But those kind of considerations are how every vice president has always been chosen.
    Can't think of a time "the best person for the job" came into it.
    That's because the best person for the job usually has better ambitions than being VP, so does not accept the job offer. With a 50-50 Senate Harris will have some power, normally VP is just a title. Before Biden, the previous VPs to become president were Bush Snr, Nixon and LBJ, not a very illustrious bunch (oh and before you complain Ford was never on a VP ticket).
  • Options
    Liverpool forthcoming PL fixtures

Spurs (a)
    West Ham (a)
    Brighton (h)
    Man City (h)
    Leicester (a)
    Everton (h)

How many points in those are certain

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9172105/Are-trying-infected-Passengers-fume-waiting-Heathrow-queues.html#reader-comments

The close family funeral and seamen are what I'd deem "acceptable" travel in the pandemic, those jetting off to see family not so much.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    edited January 2021

How long is this trial expected to take? This looks potentially amazing.
    I don't know, but as the report said 'Perhaps the best way to explain this, is like hand sanitiser but for inside the body'. Last week, and previous to that, I suggested that what we needed was like a topical antiviral but for inside the body - in almost exactly those words. This was dismissed as 'pure fantasy' by certain posters.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Actually, I am an admirer of Wilberforce. He was a brave man who did great things, but, was he flawed? OF course he fucking was. But so is everyone. Martin Luther King is implicated in gang rape. Gandhi as an old man slept with his teenage nieces. Churchill was a bigoted old drunk, Lincoln was a classical racist.

If you want to tear down every statue of every man or woman with a flaw we now find unacceptable, I genuinely think you would have no statues of anyone born before about 1990. And in ten years we will tearing down them, as well. In 2030 we will be attacking statues of Barack Obama and David Attenborough. It is insane.

What with Winny’s bust being removed and the special relationship fucked, we may as well start looking out the cyanide pills.
    My favourite current quote on statues is a Duke of Wellington:

"When my journal appears, many statues must come down."

It's almost as if pulling down statues has a venerable British history...
    Except that, since he was neither a barbarian nor a backward philistine, the Iron Duke didn't destroy Canova's monumental statue of Napoleon as Mars Pacifer, but moved it to the staircase of his own home in Apsley House - where it has stood for 200 years to the present day.
    He looted it you mean?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    CNN Breaking: Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is proposing that the Senate give former President Donald Trump's legal team two weeks to prepare for the upcoming impeachment trial and delay its start until February, the Republican leader told his conference on a call Thursday, according to multiple GOP senators
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    I assume it’s bleach? (Hat tip to Trump if it is...)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

When that happens again there will be a campaign to rejoin, led by a Conservative and Unionist perhaps.
    Yes, quite possible. Start your Rejoin party now, like Alan Sked starting UKIP in about 1990. Took him a quarter of a century to get a vote. I remember meeting him back then in a bar in Fitzrovia. Smart guy, bit eccentric, good drinker.

So you should get your Rejoin vote in ~25 years (which seems right: that's a generation). 2040 or so. Good luck - and I mean that genuinely.

Politics relies on people caring about unfashionable causes, and making them fashionable.
    To be fair rejoin is fashionable now. Much more fashionable than I expected to be honest. Even I don't support rejoin!
    Wasn't there a survey about a week ago which had Rejoin:Remain Out:Don't Know at roughly a third each of the population? In which case the way that the DKs split (which surely depends on how well it ends up going) is going to be pretty important.
    Yes. I too was surprised how popular Rejoin is already, in Brexits honeymoon period.

It's not going away as an issue, and political time has sped up, the next referendum is a lot closer than 36 years.

• Options

Good showing from Ireland in latest update (up from #15 to #4):

https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/

I think that's from 44 vaccination days UK and 25 vaccination days EU.

Though some countries will not have up to date numbers.
  • Options

Spurs (a)
    West Ham (a)
    Brighton (h)
    Man City (h)
    Leicester (a)
    Everton (h)

Maximum of 6 if they continue to never, ever score.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021

According to another article I read, at best several months before be at a stage for consideration of general usage.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited January 2021

Foxy said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Except that, since he was neither a barbarian nor a backward philistine, the Iron Duke didn't destroy Canova's monumental statue of Napoleon as Mars Pacifer, but moved it to the staircase of his own home in Apsley House - where it has stood for 200 years to the present day.
    He looted it you mean?
    The British government purchased it and transferred it to him as a gift via the Prince Regent, so no.
  • Options

That effectively is exactly what it is. As I've said often, he was actually raising a fairly interesting idea - just that it was Trump who said it, so it had to be stupid.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Agreed about Wilberforce, my objection was not to him but to people who big up the UK on the basis of abolishing slavery without putting anything on the debit side for having largely invented it in its then current form.
    Portugal beat us to it.
    Yes, but it was us that turned it into the triangle trade, with profits on each leg of the journey.
    What race were the people *selling* the slaves?
    Irrelevant, they wouldn't have been selling if we weren't buying.
    Er, for centuries before the West came along, they were selling to "Brown" Islamic slavers. See the history of Zanzibar.

Indeed some historians think far more slaves were sold, in toto, to Islamic countries, than were sold across the Atlantic.

"Current estimates are that about 12 million to 12.8 million Africans were shipped across the Atlantic over a span of 400 years"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade#:~:text=The Atlantic slave trade, transatlantic,16th to the 19th centuries.

"When estimating the number of people enslaved from East Africa, author N'Diaye and French historian Olivier Pétré-Grenouilleau[17][18] estimate 17 million as the total number of people transported from the 7th century until 1920, amounting to an average of 6,000 people per year. "

And that's just the Indian Ocean. Islamic slavers also traded across the desert. and via other routes, and continued to do so until the 1960s. and arguably continue to this day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Ocean_slave_trade

Is this Islamic aspect of slavery taught in British schools? No, it is not
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,426

Foxy said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

He looted it you mean?
    Bought by the British government for had cash, IIRC, then given to Wellington

Napoleon himself didn't like it - probably because it was a bit of contrast with the tubby reality of the later Napoleon.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Agreed about Wilberforce, my objection was not to him but to people who big up the UK on the basis of abolishing slavery without putting anything on the debit side for having largely invented it in its then current form.
    Portugal beat us to it.
    Yes, but it was us that turned it into the triangle trade, with profits on each leg of the journey.
    They had been for thousands of years.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    City of London Police have discovered and destroyed a "significant" cannabis factory in the heart of London following reports about the strong smell of the plant.

Officers found 826 plants in the basement of a non-residential property on Throgmorton Street in the City of London -- the financial district of the capital and home of the Bank of England, as well as attractions including St Paul's Cathedral and Leadenhall Market.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Yes. I too was surprised how popular Rejoin is already, in Brexits honeymoon period.

It's not going away as an issue, and political time has sped up, the next referendum is a lot closer than 36 years.

Surely 2016 was a once in a generation referendum.

So the next one should be 2024. :wink:
  • Options
    Oh well, that northern honeymoon was short lived.

https://twitter.com/jaymitchinson/status/1352377556557848578?s=21
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Ah, all of a sudden we've found some slavetraders whose identity doesn't matter! Amazing.
    Witness the complete tolerance of slavery in modern Africa among those obsessed with the 18th century.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/jun/08/the-unspeakable-truth-about-slavery-in-mauritania
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Most of the papers have this story of £500 for a + test

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1352382533527359491/photo/1
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

CNN Breaking: Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is proposing that the Senate give former President Donald Trump's legal team two weeks to prepare for the upcoming impeachment trial and delay its start until February, the Republican leader told his conference on a call Thursday, according to multiple GOP senators

Might as well now - why rush?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249

IanB2 said:

Might as well now - why rush?
    Has the SOB even got a "legal team"?
  • Options

I don't know, but as the report said 'Perhaps the best way to explain this, is like hand sanitiser but for inside the body'. Last week, and previous to that, I suggested that what we needed was like a topical antiviral but for inside the body - in almost exactly those words. This was dismissed as 'pure fantasy' by certain posters.
    I am not sure I'd class a nasal spray as 'inside the body' though.
  • Options

I am not sure I'd class a nasal spray as 'inside the body' though.
    Um.. ?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

Except they are not actually Yorkshire’s jabs though are they? I mean they don’t have a special label? Or are they being delivered in person by Sean bean? Clearly this is a nation wide supply issue.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Round the clock cremations just to keep up in German town.

https://youtu.be/p5j3ro_nx2Q
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

He looted it you mean?
    ‘It was just resting in my account’
  • Options

Who'd have ever suspected levelling up would consist of taking stuff away from the NE to hand over to London?
    Not me. No, sirree.
  • Options

A better bet is SNG001, which is in Phase 3, and an at home trial in phase 2. This targets the lungs, and looked quite promising in hospital phase 2.

https://twitter.com/Synairgenplc/status/1349371770831331329?s=19
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,657
    IanB2 said:

City of London Police have discovered and destroyed a "significant" cannabis factory in the heart of London following reports about the strong smell of the plant.

Officers found 826 plants in the basement of a non-residential property on Throgmorton Street in the City of London -- the financial district of the capital and home of the Bank of England, as well as attractions including St Paul's Cathedral and Leadenhall Market.

Is this really their priority at the moment?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It feels like that now, to you, because you are unusually invested, but it is like a post-coital heartbeat. It will fade.

In my experience the one last thing which really energises Remoaners, still, is the loss of Freedom of Movement. And I get that. I feel it myself. Apart from that, the debate is all technical tarrify stuff which 95% people don't give a fuck about (even if it is important)

The FoM problem can be solved, at some point, by our rejoining a rejigged version of the EEA or EFTA, in a way which benefits both sides. That is certainly foreseeable in the the next decade or so.

But rejoining the political structures of the increasingly Federalised EU? Nope. Not for a long long time, if ever. SO long away, it is not worth thinking about.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Covid, defeated by a Vicks knock off.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

He looted it you mean?

Napoleon himself didn't like it - probably because it was a bit of contrast with the tubby reality of the later Napoleon.

Thanks for that, I'll probably not see it in real-life. It's in Aspley House - English fecking Heritage, so no proper wheelchair access. Grrrr!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680

Good showing from Ireland in latest update (up from #15 to #4):

https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/

I think that's from 44 vaccination days UK and 25 vaccination days EU.
    We've done 43% of the vaccinations in total and 38% of the vaccinations "yesterday" (last day reported) - and most reports are within the last day or two.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

That effectively is exactly what it is. As I've said often, he was actually raising a fairly interesting idea - just that it was Trump who said it, so it had to be stupid.

No it isn't. It's nitric oxide.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Fair play. I saw those posts. Would be an extraordinary development.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Do you really not think that we industrialised and exploited the trade?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:
    Covid, defeated by a Vicks knock off.
    Good god don't tell me Donald was right.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

A better bet is SNG001, which is in Phase 3, and an at home trial in phase 2. This targets the lungs, and looked quite promising in hospital phase 2.

They are both very exciting. It was always more than slightly odd that we could kill viruses on the skin with simple chemicals, in a 'one size fits all' scenario, but for treating a viral infection itself, the only surefire way has been to develop vaccines that target specific proteins and inhibit processes unique to Covid-19. And there was nothing in between. I don't think people realise how revolutionary these types of treatments could be - it literally won't matter how a virus mutates, or which virus the sufferer has. Thankfully some people have the ability to indulge in 'pure fantasy' which is what you do before you improve things.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    A story for @Sandpit although a few others here may like it

https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/1352348572474339338
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

It feels like that now, to you, because you are unusually invested, but it is like a post-coital heartbeat. It will fade.

In my experience the one last thing which really energises Remoaners, still, is the loss of Freedom of Movement. And I get that. I feel it myself. Apart from that, the debate is all technical tarrify stuff which 95% people don't give a fuck about (even if it is important)

The FoM problem can be solved, at some point, by our rejoining a rejigged version of the EEA or EFTA, in a way which benefits both sides. That is certainly foreseeable in the the next decade or so.

But rejoining the political structures of the increasingly Federalised EU? Nope. Not for a long long time, if ever. SO long away, it is not worth thinking about.
    I think rejoining the Single Market including FoM will be a very active topic in the next Parliament, if not at the next election. It is a necessary first step, but once we are in the SM, having a say in writing the rules will become the next step.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Trump didn't mention bleach either, he mentioned 'disinfectant'. It was made into bleach by the Twatteriat.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

PLEASE let one of these happen. Amazing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Company barks and has fleas
  • Options

Endillion said:

Trump didn't mention bleach either, he mentioned 'disinfectant'. It was made into bleach by the Twatteriat.
    Sure, but he was responding directly to research which did mention bleach:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52407177

The point was less about whether it was an idea worth researching, and more about the irresponsibility of saying things which could easily be misinterpreted and result in Death by Bleach.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Slavery is wrong. The slave trade was wrong. It doesn’t matter whether it was 1 or a 1,000.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Quebec had referendums only 15 years apart - 1980 and 1995.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

PLEASE let one of these happen. Amazing.
    Because of its non-antibody action SNG001 will work equally well on all mutations to the Spike protein, Indeed on other respiratory viruses too. It has previously been shown to be well tolerated in COPD patients. Certainly one to watch. From the University of Southampton btw.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

It is fundamentally irrelevant to me that Biden's VP is a woman, because Biden literally announced that he wasn't even going to consider anyone for the position who wasn't.

Why do you think Biden made that pledge? And do you think THAT might be relevant?

Interesting to speculate after the fact, IF Uncle Joe's opponent would have done better - possibly enough to win - IF he'd dumped Mike Pence and substituted Nicki Haley?

Personally think the answer is, yes. Perhaps NOT enough to prevail, but then he didn't lose by all that much.
    Why? A combination of:

1) Combatting a perceived weakness due to his own dodgy history with women;
    2) Doubling down on Trump's pre-existing weakness among female voters; and
    3) Political convenience, since large numbers in his own party clearly believed it was important.

Possibly a minor component of believing it was the "right" thing to do of his own accord, but it would still carry a lot more weight with me if he'd simply announced that Harris was the best person for the job. As I recall, there was some speculation at the time he'd privately committed to a BAME VP pick to shore up his primary chances in the South, which effectively means Harris had no competition beyond Stacey Abrams.
    Its called politics & votes. That's why such decisions are made
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

I think rejoining the Single Market including FoM will be a very active topic in the next Parliament, if not at the next election. It is a necessary first step, but once we are in the SM, having a say in writing the rules will become the next step.
    Perhaps. What we need is a bespoke agreement with the EU (which was what Cameron sought, but failed to get).

They need to recognise that we are an unusually important, advanced, valuable market on their doorstep (we are not Turkey, Bosnia or the Ukraine, to be blunt). We need to accept the SM comes with rules, so we can benefit from that, and we need to accept FoM because many of us want FoM.

But. There will be a looooong period of calmdown and readjustment before either side is willing to return to the fray, however. It is just natural. It took us four years to bloody Brexit. I suspect it will be a decade before SM membership and EEA status (or whatever it is is then) is on the agenda. Starmer is not going to put it in his 2024 manifesto (as he has already said) so that's 2029 at the earliest.

And of course by then history (as Covid teaches us) may have gone in an entirely different direction and all this may seem utterly irrelevant.

As a doctor of the human soul I advise you to put away your dreams of Rejoin in your Lifetime. They are really rather unlikely to happen, and will only cause you heartbreak, interim. Focus on what's good about your life. And do HIIT every day.

• Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Slavery is wrong. The slave trade was wrong. It doesn’t matter whether it was 1 or a 1,000.
    Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

The point was less about whether it was an idea worth researching, and more about the irresponsibility of saying things which could easily be misinterpreted and result in Death by Bleach.
    I can't find anything he said that would encourage death by bleach - if anything, the fuckwittery of the response following his statements could have done that, for instance, Sturgeon warning everyone not to 'inGEST disinfectant' - not only spreading the statement but in falsifying it, making it into something we can all do if we've got a spare 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Antisemitism is wrong. Murdering Jews is wrong. Doesn’t matter if it was 1 or 6 million.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

Funnily enough, I can see FoM being one of the last bits to fall into place, because it's so visible and totemic to a chunk of the Brexit base. The boring stuff (we don't really want the faff of our own chemical safety standards, do we? So we might as well piggyback on the Euro ones, and I suspect business will prefer it) might well come first. Possibly some bits even before 2024.

And then, EEA (or more likely "I can't believe it's not EEA") in a decade or so seems sensible; it's what I'd nudge for next.

And then the question is whether the UK wants to be involved in making decisions, or be a recipient of the decisions made by others. "Of course the UK doesn't have to do these things, it could leave the EEA arrangement, because that went so well for you in 2020, ho ho..." But yeah, that's a way in the future.

And for now, the important thing is to try and make the Johnson plan work. Because there isn't much of a bank of goodwill if it turns out to be inoperable in practice.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Perhaps. What we need is a bespoke agreement with the EU (which was what Cameron sought, but failed to get).

They need to recognise that we are an unusually important, advanced, valuable market on their doorstep (we are not Turkey, Bosnia or the Ukraine, to be blunt). We need to accept the SM comes with rules, so we can benefit from that, and we need to accept FoM because many of us want FoM.

But. There will be a looooong period of calmdown and readjustment before either side is willing to return to the fray, however. It is just natural. It took us four years to bloody Brexit. I suspect it will be a decade before SM membership and EEA status (or whatever it is is then) is on the agenda. Starmer is not going to put it in his 2024 manifesto (as he has already said) so that's 2029 at the earliest.

And of course by then history (as Covid teaches us) may have gone in an entirely different direction and all this may seem utterly irrelevant.

As a doctor of the human soul I advise you to put away your dreams of Rejoin in your Lifetime. They are really rather unlikely to happen, and will only cause you heartbreak, interim. Focus on what's good about your life. And do HIIT every day.

Nah, Brexit is a crock of shit, and I won't stop saying so.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Numbers do matter, tho.

Killing Jews just because they are Jews is wrong. Obvs.

If Hitler had killed 6 Jews, he'd be an unsavoury footnote in criminological history. A shooter in a synagogue. Ugh.

He killed six million. OMFG.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Oh dear. I am here to help, if ever you need it. Even if it is just a sniffle.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Antisemitism is wrong. Murdering Jews is wrong. Doesn’t matter if it was 1 or 6 million.
    Moral absolutes are moral absolutes

I’m not giving someone a pass because they’re not white Europeans
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Is this really their priority at the moment?
    City of London police will have little to do, its a tiny area they cover that will be way down in population as both daytime and night-time economy are dead there. I am not in favour of cannabis being illegal, but why have laws if law breaking on an industrial scale is not worthy of being tackled?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    I've just been on the Duke of Wellington's Wikipedia page. Have you seen how many titles the current duke has? It's ridiculous!

"Arthur Charles Valerian Wellesley, 9th Duke of Wellington, 9th Prince of Waterloo, 9th Duke of Victoria, 10th Duke of Ciudad Rodrigo"

:D
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,426

Foxy said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

He looted it you mean?

Thanks for that, I'll probably not see it in real-life. It's in Aspley House - English fecking Heritage, so no proper wheelchair access. Grrrr!
    The photograph actually makes it look smaller. In real life it looks ridiculously big for the stairwell.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775
    Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Sometimes I like to speculate what about our society today will be condemned when the shifting moral zeitgeist has moved on.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Numbers do matter, tho.

If Hitler had killed 6 Jews, he'd be an unsavoury footnote in criminological history. A shooter in a synagogue. Ugh.

Of course.

But @foxy seems content to place all the blame for slavery on a small group of participants in a deeply unpleasant trade
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Company barks and has fleas
    Er, sorry?
  • Options

Spurs (a)
    West Ham (a)
    Brighton (h)
    Man City (h)
    Leicester (a)
    Everton (h)

Right now? None are certain.

At least they had one year - I had to wait my whole adult life for that, it will see me through the next 30.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Oh dear. I am here to help, if ever you need it. Even if it is just a sniffle.
    Nah, I am enjoying my popcorn on the Brexit issue. Glad I am not in an export industry!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Moral absolutes are moral absolutes

I’m not giving someone a pass because they’re not white Europeans
    Only one person wanting to give people a pass as far as I can see.
  • Options

I've just been on the Duke of Wellington's Wikipedia page. Have you seen how many titles the current duke has? It's ridiculous!

"Arthur Charles Valerian Wellesley, 9th Duke of Wellington, 9th Prince of Waterloo, 9th Duke of Victoria, 10th Duke of Ciudad Rodrigo"

How come CR has a different number?

• Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Nitric Oxide is quite the training aid as well. Never used it but do know people who say its helps them no end in the gym. You can see how its vasodilation can help the lungs and seems very well tolerated.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

I can't find anything he said that would encourage death by bleach - if anything, the fuckwittery of the response following his statements could have done that, for instance, Sturgeon warning everyone not to 'inGEST disinfectant' - not only spreading the statement but in falsifying it, making it into something we can all do if we've got a spare 5 minutes.
    You're overestimating the American people. Several officials in the US clearly thought that Trump's comments were likely to lead to people trying dumb things with bleach, and so it proved:
    https://time.com/5835244/accidental-poisonings-trump/

Sturgeon I'm happy to agree was just bandwagon jumping, but I can't imagine too many Americans would have taken much notice.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Charles said:

Looks like the lines diverged briefly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Ciudad_Rodrigo
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed what a crap effort Canada is making of vaccinating ?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Numbers do matter, tho.

Of course.

But @foxy seems content to place all the blame for slavery on a small group of participants in a deeply unpleasant trade
    No, but I do not think that we can evade guilt by whataboutery. Undeniably we industrialised the triangle trade.

It wasn't just a small number of people involved either, it was a core piece of our economy in the seventeenth and eighteenth century, until the dawning of the industrial era. The reason why the slavers statues are so contentious is because these were typical of the aristocracy and wealthy of the period, from the King down.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Portugal beat us to it.
    Hmm. I feel like that is technically true, and I think the sidestepping of longstanding slave trading in other places is a bit weird, yet I also cannot but help feel that the vastness of the trade by us during that period was particularly egregious.

On the issue of 'bigging up' the abolishment of slavery, my general take has been that nothing can be done to make up for such heinousness as took place, so abolishment and seeking to stop others trading slaves is the most that can be done, and its just natural instinct to compare that belated right act with places that took longer to do the right thing. Far less seriously people celebrate giving women the vote before other places did, without really getting into the hundreds of years of not letting it happen.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Sometimes I like to speculate what about our society today will be condemned when the shifting moral zeitgeist has moved on.
    If I had to guess, I'd say animal rights, or allowing AI to take over. Or both

As soon as we develop "artificial meat", the idea we bred living animals - higher mammals indeed - in appalling conditions, just so they could be slaughtered, will seem utterly barbaric, nearly as bad as slavery.

They will probably be tearing down statues of famous beef farmers, or owners of big food corps.

Likewise AI. It is quite likely to me that robots will take over. Perhaps in 2050 renegade bands of feral humans, escaping their computer overlords, will detonate statues of Bill Gates, or Elon Musk, like the proto-IRA attacking British imperialist symbols in Dublin, but less effectively.
  • Options

But still doing far better than their neighbour in terms of lack of deaths.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Charles said:

"In 1943, Anne Rhys (née Wellesley), the only daughter and eldest child of Arthur Wellesley, 5th Duke of Wellington, inherited the Spanish dukedom while having no rights to the British title of her family which passed to her uncle, after her younger brother was killed in action during the Second World War. In 1949 Anne renounced to the title in favor of her uncle Gerald Wellesley, 7th Duke of Wellington."
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Like listing nations who have handled covid well, it is easier to just list nations who have made a good start on vaccinations...its literally 4-5 countries.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

As soon as we develop "artificial meat", the idea we bred living animals - higher mammals indeed - in appalling conditions, just so they could be slaughtered, will seem utterly barbaric, nearly as bad as slavery.

They will probably be tearing down statues of famous beef farmers, or owners of big food corps.

Likewise AI. It is quite likely to me that robots will take over. Perhaps in 2050 renegade bands of feral humans, escaping their computer overlords, will detonate statues of Bill Gates, or Elon Musk, like the proto-IRA attacking British imperialist symbols in Dublin, but less effectively.
    After reading your posts this evening, I feel the robot apocalypse can't come soon enough.
  • Options

I'm sure that will be a great comfort for those people who will to die because the vaccination effort is going so slowly.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

After reading your posts this evening, I feel the robot apocalypse can't come soon enough.
    Have you ever considered writing an interesting comment? It might be good for you.
  • Options
    Christ one of my friends has died from Covid, was either in his 30s or early 40s.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Pulpstar said:

Christ one of my friends has died from Covid, was either in his 30s or early 40s.

I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences.
  • Options

The Canadians have.
  • Options

Like listing nations who have handled covid well, it is easier to just list nations who have made a good start on vaccinations...its literally 4-5 countries.
    The bizarre thing is that Canada has ordered more vaccine than any other country.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Have you ever considered writing an interesting comment? It might be good for you.
    Don't do it Mary - I tried it once and it was awful. Never again.

Pleasant dreams to all.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sorry to hear it.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2021

I'm sure that will be a great comfort for those people who will to die because the vaccination effort is going so slowly.
    In end, what matters is how many people died of covid. It doesn't make difference to them why they died of covid, whether from lack of a timely vaccine or inadequate suppression policies (even if were possible to assign a cause). And, at the moment, Canada isn't doing anywhere near as badly as the US. Nor is, for example, Germany doing anywhere near as badly as the UK.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences.
    More someone I know in passing, not a massively close friend - but a very genuinely nice chap. Have sent my condolences to his wife.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

Next Monday marks the centenary of the play "Rossums Universal Robots" the play that introduced the word robot to our language, and features a successful robot revolt. Robot has its origin in the Czech word for "forced labourer" or slave, thereby bringing together several threads on here.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

fpt for Ishmael

I sometime think there's a small chance that history will judge us terribly for the Paralympics, either owing to a societal shift in how the disabled are treated, or a hilarious misunderstanding as to what the point of the competition was.
This discussion has been closed.