Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

And so to Trump’s final hours in office – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490

Betfair has suspended its market on Trump leaving office in 2021.

Paying out on 2025.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300

dr_spyn said:

Am looking forward to The Simpsons take on this 'ceremony', hosted by Sideshow Bob.

You are almost as big a loser as your hero Trumpsky.
    Oh dear, someone didn't understand what I meant...
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pedestrian stuff. Missing The Donald already.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,393
    This is banal and deeply moving at the same time.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,286

"democracy has prevailed"

amen

Echoing the words the democrats uttered in 2016, when they lost fair and square.

Oh wait....
    Perhaps you would like to read this: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/news/a18754/barack-obama-speech-trump-victory-2016/
  • BIDEN IS PRESIDENT.
  • THANK FUCK HE'S GONE.

now, lock him up.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    It’s official.

Boring Biden is POTUS
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,526
    Omnium said:

I remember when Obama became POTUS and how the Secret Service/DIA were worried that his Blackberry was a security risk.
    To which the kids say what's a blackberry.....
    I officially became an old git in 2019 when I explained to a very young staff what Ceefax was.

'It was the internet on your TV' after I had told them that they haven't lived if they've never watched a football match on Ceefax 303.
    My neighbours kids don't really believe there was a time before the internet....at least not experienced by those that aren't pushing 80.

Explaining dial up internet to them, they genuinely think I am just winding them up.
    Tell them what was included in your first ever mobile contract monthly allowance and the price.

They looked at me weirdly that I paid £45 a month for 200 minutes to landlines and people on the same network as me.

No inclusive texts, and no data, as data didn't exist then.

Calling cross network was 50p a minute, and texts 20p a pop, limited to a 160 characters.
    Try explaining what your first computer cost and how much memory you got with it: I normally have to explain what KB are at that point.
    (I do this in the lesson on SI prefixes).
    My first computer cost 1k-ish. It had 48k of memory.
    I saved for it by working in McDonalds. I was initially paid 89p an hour.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,517
    edited January 2021
    rcs1000 said:

I want to know what his Peloton username is so that I can check my scores against his :smile:

Here's a question: do any other PBers Peloton? If so, let me know your username so I can follow you.

(My username is pretty easy to guess.)
    I nearly went for a Peleton, but ended up going for a BikeERG and use Zwift. Really enjoying it, other than the number of cheating bastards in the races claiming to be average cyclists then pulling 4W/kg with ease via faking their weight, while I am melting trying to keep up.
  • I remember when Obama became POTUS and how the Secret Service/DIA were worried that his Blackberry was a security risk.
    I officially became an old git in 2019 when I explained to a very young staff what Ceefax was.

'It was the internet on your TV' after I had told them that they haven't lived if they've never watched a football match on Ceefax 303.
    My neighbours kids don't really believe there was a time before the internet....at least not experienced by those that aren't pushing 80.

Explaining dial up internet to them, they genuinely think I am just winding them up.
    Tell them what was included in your first ever mobile contract monthly allowance and the price.

They looked at me weirdly that I paid £45 a month for 200 minutes to landlines and people on the same network as me.

Calling cross network was 50p a minute, and texts 20p a pop, limited to a 160 characters.
    Try explaining what your first computer cost and how much memory you got with it: I normally have to explain what KB are at that point.
    I was always fond of my ZX81 1K.
    I had you down as too young to have had one of those!
    It was gift from a neighbour.

I was old enough to get the Spectrum 128K +3 though.

My first ever proper computer in 1992, as a callow teenager, had 2 MB of RAM, which I'm fairly certain was top of the range.
    My first proper computer had 640K, twin floppy disks, and a 10MHz chip. All for the same price as a Apple iMac would cost now.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,942

I remember when Obama became POTUS and how the Secret Service/DIA were worried that his Blackberry was a security risk.

Pretty sure it was about £100 quid, a ZX Spectrum with a magnificent 48K...
  • Pulpstar said:

Paying out on 2025.
    The market has now been settled. It's over.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,278
    Space Force is late. My TV hasn't retuned.
  • The Secret Service are late, they should have started arresting Biden and the rest.
    Hats off to Joe Biden.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    rcs1000 said:

amen

Echoing the words the democrats uttered in 2016, when they lost fair and square.

Oh wait....
    Perhaps you would like to read this: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/news/a18754/barack-obama-speech-trump-victory-2016/

THANK FUCK HE'S GONE.

now, lock him up.

''healing''
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,538
    rcs1000 said:

I want to know what his Peloton username is so that I can check my scores against his :smile:

Here's a question: do any other PBers Peloton? If so, let me know your username so I can follow you.

(My username is pretty easy to guess.)
    LARMSTR88?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,500
    I'd love to know who was still putting money on Trump a few minutes ago.
  • dixiedean said:

Space Force is late. My TV hasn't retuned.

Chris Grayling must be in charge.
  • Its rather poetic the bright sunshine in DC right now.

Good, calm, boring sleepy Joe speech. Just what America needs.
  • Thanks to all the PB Putinists, for showing just how crushed they are that their foul Fearless Leader has now been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Your wailing and gnashing of teeth, rending of garments and other signs of Extreme Loser Syndrome, are all music to my ears!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,477

Pulpstar said:

Paying out on 2025.
    The market has now been settled. It's over.
    Woo Hoo!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,500
    edited January 2021
    ydoethur said:

The fun part was watching cricket.

You always knew when there was a wicket, as there was about a three minute pause in the update.
    People forget that Ceefax had enough information for about 95% of the things you really needed to know, as opposed to the gossip and inane chat which is what the internet is mostly composed of. It was so useful that when you visited another country and realised the TV in that country didn't have an equivalent service it was often a real inconvenience.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    DavidL said:

In my simple view I think Trump was a glib charlatan but Biden is honestly sincere. Boredom isn't an issue for me.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 17,019
    edited January 2021
    An uncomfortable speech from Biden about what has happened in the last four years. The camera keeps lingering on Mike Pence for some reason.
  • rcs1000 said:

amen

Oh wait....

THANK FUCK HE'S GONE.

now, lock him up.

''healing''
    Criminals should go to jail. Nothing controversial there.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,278
    "We must end this uncivil war."
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

You always knew when there was a wicket, as there was about a three minute pause in the update.
    People forget that Ceefax had enough information for about 95% of the things you really needed to know, as opposed to the gossip and inane chat which is what the internet is mostly composed of.
    News headlines, sports scores and the TV guide, what else did anyone use it for?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,691
    FF43 said:

An uncomfortable speech from Biden about what has happened in the last four years. The camera keeps lingering on Mike Pence for some reason.

I was thinking it might be as well he’s wearing a mask.
    Toms said:

DavidL said:

In my simple view I think Trump was a glib charlatan but Biden is honestly sincere. Boredom isn't an issue for me.
    If it’s a choice it’s a no brainer. But recently someone linked to Kennedy’s speech to the country about segregation in 1963 recently. That was oratory.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,479
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

People forget that Ceefax had enough information for about 95% of the things you really needed to know, as opposed to the gossip and inane chat which is what the internet is mostly composed of.
    I remember a friend visiting me c. 1988 and being overjoyed to discover I had Ceefax on my TV. He'd inherited shares in Whitbreads or some such firm who were being taken over and he could watch the price go up and up and then rush to the phone and ring his stockbroker ...
    He’s plagiarising bloody Disraeli now.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,728
    ydoethur said:

A step up from Kinnock.

Thanks to all the PB Putinists, for showing just how crushed they are that their foul Fearless Leader has now been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Your wailing and gnashing of teeth, rending of garments and other signs of Extreme Loser Syndrome, are all music to my ears!

''healing''

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,034
    Toms said:

DavidL said:

He'd have won in 2016 - such a shame he wasn't the candidate.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,655
    He says America has never failed but I still remember that Ryder Cup in Medinah.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,223

ydoethur said:

A step up from Kinnock.
    We're not alright?

ydoethur said:

A step up from Kinnock.
    So's a basement.
  • Biden's speech cut out - must be spaceforce.
  • rcs1000 said:

amen

Oh wait....

THANK FUCK HE'S GONE.

now, lock him up.

''healing''
    Healing sometimes involves surgery. Forgiveness and redemption require contrition and an admission of guilt to be effective.

Trump did many things in the course of his term in office which showed that he had no respect for the law. Many of these things will probably not lead to punishment as no punishments were laid down in the statutes, but it is right that he should face trial for anything for which a judge or grand jury decides he has a case to answer.

The real problem will be finding a jury to convict, as I think that in the US you need a unanimous verdict.
    Sky just lost the sound...
  • IshmaelZ said:

Pedestrian stuff. Missing The Donald already.

He's wiv da angels now.
    Aka roasting some poor sod of a Mar-a-Lago bus boy for getting the temperature of his burger wrong.
    kinabalu said:

I have to write something for Trump’s exit. No choice. No choice.

And not to make it about me but I can’t help my overriding feeling being one of enormous pride in myself. I had this guy sussed and properly evaluated from the start. That took perception – to see the truth – and also standards below which I refused to fall. So I never, throughout this sorry episode, lost my sense of outrage and depression, tinged with unreality, about such an individual being the President of the United States. I never sought to come to terms with it. Never shrugged him off as just a joke. Never went crawling back through the records and character of previous Presidents in order to phony up a case that he was nothing to lose your shit about. Never bent over backwards to find some sort of valid respectable “left behind by globalization bla bla” reason for his election. No. I stuck to my initial assessment. Orange Man Bad. Simple, correct, complete. This was much and often derided as “Trump Derangement Syndrome” but now the whole of the sane world has come around to it. Ah bisto.

But I have some disturbing news to share too. It’s about my relationship with another political leader. Boris Johnson. He is not Britain Trump. Not even close as regards absurdity and malignancy. However, he is amoral, shallow, glib, immature, deceitful, and not really fit for office. About three years ago, chatting to my wife, I said that if Boris Johnson ever became PM, we should emigrate, and I was 100% serious. Yet he has and we haven’t. Not because my wife refuses but because I no longer want to. I have lost my negative passion for Johnson. What I’m patting myself on the back for, viz Trump, is I’m afraid exactly what has happened with Johnson. I can’t stand the bloke, obvs, or much of his politics, but the fact of him as PM is not driving me each & every day into a pit of rage and despair. I’m awfully ashamed of this, it shows my standards are slipping, but I felt I had to make the confession. I’ve got used to "Boris". I’m sorry, PB.

A key difference right now between Trump and Johnson is that the Americans eventually got rid of Trump. Johnson is still there.

I suspect Johnson got more bearable once he got rid of his aggression, as projected by Cummings? Johnson is fundamentally a charlatan. He wants his suckers to feel good
  • Thanks to all the PB Putinists, for showing just how crushed they are that their foul Fearless Leader has now been consigned to the dustbin of history.

''healing''

Please heal yourself. You need it.
    dixiedean said:

"We must end this uncivil war."

Yes that was a better line.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,223
    tlg86 said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

He'd have won in 2016 - such a shame he wasn't the candidate.
    Yes, he probably would have but Hilary's had the word destiny written in her obituary already.
  • "We will lead not merely by the example of our power, but by the power of our example."

Great line. We'll hold you to that one, Joe.

ydoethur said:

A step up from Kinnock.
    You mean they both had to rebuild parties shattered by the dogmatism of previous leaders by doing something radical that the diehards hated, but Disraeli took his party back to power and Kinnock didn’t?

Yeah, that works as a parallel.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    DavidL said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

If it’s a choice it’s a no brainer. But recently someone linked to Kennedy’s speech to the country about segregation in 1963 recently. That was oratory.
    True elegance was Lincoln's Gettysburg address. Unbelievably sad.
    Test
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,530
    edited January 2021
    Isn't it wierd that Donald was a far more interesting speaker yet most of what he said was a gibberish random selection of words.
    Is Obama asleep or just enjoying himself?
    Toms said:

DavidL said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

And astonishingly short. But profound.

Thanks to all the PB Putinists, for showing just how crushed they are that their foul Fearless Leader has now been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Actually talking of Putin, I read with amusement the tweet of a journalist that covers Russia saying CNN's coverage of Biden is more sycophantic than the Russian media is of their president.

Four years of why Joe loves puppies, kids and fluffy clouds though his soldiers have to be vetted.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,903
    Do we still have to refer to him with the honorary title of President Trump?
  • The Secret Service are late, they should have started arresting Biden and the rest.

Don't worry, they're playing a long game...
    edited January 2021
    He’s a very average speaker
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,585
    dr_spyn said:

Sky just lost the sound...

Perhaps they think Trump is being inaugurated...
  • Do we still have to refer to him with the honorary title of President Trump?

Yes, although a conviction and censure by Congress might stop that courtesy.
    ping said:

He was getting a bit lost towards the end there. A few stumbles and a rambling conclusion.

Also, of course, the oldest ever president as of this moment, a year older than Reagan.
    ydoethur said:

Is Obama asleep or just enjoying himself?

Obama is one of the best speechmakers. Biden can be excruciating to listen to. Nevertheless this Biden speech is more important than any Obama delivered because of the circumstances.
  • DavidL said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

It was a post-script to the main oration of the day: a really cruel trivia question would be "who gave the Gettysburg Oration" on November the 19th,1863?"
  • ping said:

Agreed. Such an incredible improvement on 45.
  • Brian Rose odds finally shifting as Trump Exit date winners move from one free cash machine to the next.
    DavidL said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

And called by the New York Times, ‘silly remarks’ and by the Times in London ‘anything more dull and commonplace it would be hard to find.’
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

He was getting a bit lost towards the end there. A few stumbles and a rambling conclusion.

Also, of course, the oldest ever president as of this moment, a year older than Reagan.
    Lets face it, the speech was awful.

Actually talking of Putin, I read with amusement the tweet of a journalist that covers Russia saying CNN's coverage of Biden is more sycophantic than the Russian media is of their president.

Four years of why Joe loves puppies, kids and fluffy clouds though his soldiers have to be vetted.
    Keep it up! You are most definitely VERY persuasive. Just NOT they way you think.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,903
    Wow, Garth Brooks has lumped on the lockdown lard!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,016
    ydoethur said:

If Trump fell in the Potomac, it would be a misfortune ?
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

If Trump fell in the Potomac, it would be a misfortune ?
    If someone pulled him out it would definitely be a calamity.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,601
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

Toms said:

DavidL said:

And called by the New York Times, ‘silly remarks’ and by the Times in London ‘anything more dull and commonplace it would be hard to find.’
    The Times of London - ""The ceremony was rendered ludicrous by some of the luckless sallies of that poor President Lincoln."

Brian Rose odds finally shifting as Trump Exit date winners move from one free cash machine to the next.

I'm almost fully invested in against Brian Rose. I rate his chances at precisely 0%.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,384
    FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

I have to write something for Trump’s exit. No choice. No choice.

And not to make it about me but I can’t help my overriding feeling being one of enormous pride in myself. I had this guy sussed and properly evaluated from the start. That took perception – to see the truth – and also standards below which I refused to fall. So I never, throughout this sorry episode, lost my sense of outrage and depression, tinged with unreality, about such an individual being the President of the United States. I never sought to come to terms with it. Never shrugged him off as just a joke. Never went crawling back through the records and character of previous Presidents in order to phony up a case that he was nothing to lose your shit about. Never bent over backwards to find some sort of valid respectable “left behind by globalization bla bla” reason for his election. No. I stuck to my initial assessment. Orange Man Bad. Simple, correct, complete. This was much and often derided as “Trump Derangement Syndrome” but now the whole of the sane world has come around to it. Ah bisto.

But I have some disturbing news to share too. It’s about my relationship with another political leader. Boris Johnson. He is not Britain Trump. Not even close as regards absurdity and malignancy. However, he is amoral, shallow, glib, immature, deceitful, and not really fit for office. About three years ago, chatting to my wife, I said that if Boris Johnson ever became PM, we should emigrate, and I was 100% serious. Yet he has and we haven’t. Not because my wife refuses but because I no longer want to. I have lost my negative passion for Johnson. What I’m patting myself on the back for, viz Trump, is I’m afraid exactly what has happened with Johnson. I can’t stand the bloke, obvs, or much of his politics, but the fact of him as PM is not driving me each & every day into a pit of rage and despair. I’m awfully ashamed of this, it shows my standards are slipping, but I felt I had to make the confession. I’ve got used to "Boris". I’m sorry, PB.

A key difference right now between Trump and Johnson is that the Americans eventually got rid of Trump. Johnson is still there.

I suspect Johnson got more bearable once he got rid of his aggression, as projected by Cummings? Johnson is fundamentally a charlatan. He wants his suckers to feel good
    Yes. And with Trump gone I can now really focus on Johnson. Get myself back on track and in the state of permanent pissed offness about him that I ought to be.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,037
    I only got to catch the start of Biden's speech, good solid delivery and standard optimistic talk along with talk of the major challenges.

I did laugh at two points, one of which might be my imagination.

First of all when he talked about today not being about the success of a canididate, and I was like 'No, it definitely is. Ok, some other things too, but also your success'.

And two, he said something about righting wrongs, and I could have sworn it cut to a shot of Ted Cruz.
  • Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

That's what the pundits said at the time about the Gettysburg Address.
    Let’s elect her instead. Really showing up Biden.
  • Who's this girl?
    kle4 said:

I only got to catch the start of Biden's speech, good solid delivery and standard optimistic talk along with talk of the major challenges.

I did laugh at two points, one of which might be my imagination.

First of all when he talked about today not being about the success of a canididate, and I was like 'No, it definitely is. Ok, some other things too, but also your success'.

And two, he said something about righting wrongs, and I could have sworn it cut to a shot of Ted Cruz.

That’s rightie wrongs.
    The endless poetry...

• DavidL said:

She's ineligible, right now, maybe in 2032.
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Somewhat rambling and monotonic towards the end. Let’s hope he keeps things together for at least one term of office.
    The National Youth Poet Laureate is stunningly beautiful. Not the kind of comment I would usually make, as I am not one of Seant's many aliases... But she is.
  • Who's this girl?

Amanda Gorman.

https://twitter.com/TheAmandaGorman
    FF43 said:

The National Youth Poet Laureate is stunningly beautiful. Not the kind of comment I would usually make, as I am not one of Seant's many aliases... But she is.

And more significant, brilliantly articulate.

DavidL said:

She's ineligible, right now, maybe in 2032.
    She’s 22 now, so 2036 is the earliest she could be eligible.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Anyone who has problems with English exceptionalism should take a look at Biden's inauguration. Phew!

Never heard so many Martin Luther King wannabe's
  • Nigel Farage is the same age as Brad Pitt.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,037
    kjh said:

Isn't it wierd that Donald was a far more interesting speaker yet most of what he said was a gibberish random selection of words.

It's very hard to pull off - his energy and confidence being what they were he was a fascinating figure. The Trump children just don't cut the mustard, there's something just too self conscious about Donny junior for instance, like he's doing an act where his dad actually is that way.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,384

Wow, Garth Brooks has lumped on the lockdown lard!

Has sold more records than any solo artist bar Elvis and Jacko.

Just goes to show.
This discussion has been closed.