Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so to Trump’s final hours in office – politicalbetting.com

18910111214»

Comments

• Options

Roger said:

It's a surprise that Jacob Rees Mogg has something in common with anyone normal
    Would you consider J-Lo normal?
    A great ass and a...och, you know the rest.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited January 2021

IanB2 said:

Well, it sounds like I'm in a minority, but I thought Biden's speech was absolutely splendid; not sure what more he could have said. Just the right tone, and enough substance to set an agenda for the future. And Kamala is just fab - she just looks so excited about her new job, which is refreshing.

I remain baffled by the extent of the God thing, however, in the USA. Doesn't sit easily for me with being 'the most advanced nation on earth'.

Go there and look at the state of the place, and you wouldn’t be suggesting they are the most advanced, except in regards of having perfected the art of getting so many citizens to work more hours than elsewhere in the west for modest pay in order to syphon off just enough federal revenue to support a very powerful military.
    I wasn't claiming it was the most advanced nation on earth - it's what they claim. That's why I put it in quotes. I certainly don't think it is, and I raised the God thing to illustrate this. I'd also agree that the gross inequalities evident in a nation of such wealth pushes it a long way down on any league table of greatness.
    It is quite a shock to learn of the costs involved in just having an accident and being taken in an ambulance to hospital. Is that a civilised nation, one wonders?

Edit: that is before any treatment in the hospital.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

New York (CNN Business): As of noon today, Donald Trump is entitled to an annual pension of $221,400 and perks worth far more than that.

It's possible -- but not certain -- he could lose that if he's convicted in the upcoming Senate impeachment trial.

Not going to make much of a dent in the $300 million he owes the banks...
  • Options
    The Madrid explosion looks like a gas leak: and by looks like I mean there was work going on on the boiler at the time.

Three dead and one missing according to the BBC.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

IanB2 said:

New York (CNN Business): As of noon today, Donald Trump is entitled to an annual pension of $221,400 and perks worth far more than that.

It's possible -- but not certain -- he could lose that if he's convicted in the upcoming Senate impeachment trial.

Nothing a small loan or two couldn't cover.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

IanB2 said:

Owe the bank $300 and you're in trouble. Owe the bank $300 million...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

At least all the online chatter about armed insurrections in all fifty states seems to have come to nothing.

Those YouTube videos of Trumpers going onto the no-fly list clearly did the trick.

More likely they thought SpaceForce had it all in hand.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    Today is a good day.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

"We will lead not merely by the example of our power, but by the power of our example."

Great line. We'll hold you to that one, Joe.

© Bill Clinton, DNC 2008.

Still a good line though.
    Is he plagiarising again? This could be a good hobby for the next 4 years for keen political observers.
    Is no-one allowed to quote anyone else these days?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

Owe the bank $300 and you're in trouble. Owe the bank $300 million...
    Well we might be seeing Deutsche Bank getting into the golf course business in the next few years...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Reasonably positive coverage for the Biden inauguration on Fox News
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Have they shot him yet?

Go soak yer head, and sober up.

Such talk on THIS day is even more offensive than your usual low standard. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    I'll stop now. I don't want the loons to kill him. But as there's a swathe of plots out there which they've had to investigate its hardly offensive to point that out.

"Trump is the real President behind the scenes". I have no idea how you glue your country back together.
    J
    BTW if you are moving to the Doric area of Scotland, it might be as well to know that 'loon' has a very different meaning there (roughly young man, youth, lowly worker especially on farm). A colleague, who knows my grandfather comes from that area, calls me a 'loon frae XXXXX'.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

"We will lead not merely by the example of our power, but by the power of our example."

Marx was very fond of that type of sentence structure.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Roger said:

You should chance your arm if your paths cross. She's pretty down to earth, I gather. Don't be fooled by the rocks.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited January 2021
    Carnyx said:

Have they shot him yet?

Such talk on THIS day is even more offensive than your usual low standard. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    I'll stop now. I don't want the loons to kill him. But as there's a swathe of plots out there which they've had to investigate its hardly offensive to point that out.

"Trump is the real President behind the scenes". I have no idea how you glue your country back together.
    J
    BTW if you are moving to the Doric area of Scotland, it might be as well to know that 'loon' has a very different meaning there (roughly young man, youth, lowly worker especially on farm). A colleague, who knows my grandfather comes from that area, calls me a 'loon frae XXXXX'.
    Indeed.
    'Are ye that loon that's moved up fae doon sooth' could be taken the wrong way!
  • Options
    Brian Rose back to sub 10 again.

Downsides:

Ties up money
    Election could be delayed again
    If delayed into 2022 then void
    Helping promote Brian Rose PR

Upsides:

Cant lose!

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Brian Rose back to sub 10 again.

Downsides:

Ties up money
    Election could be delayed again
    If delayed into 2022 then void
    Helping promote Brian Rose PR

Upsides:

Cant lose!

On the contrary... If we took all the money available through laying and pushed him back to 100-1 that would undo his PR operation...
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Carnyx said:

Have they shot him yet?

J
    BTW, if you are moving to Canada, it might be as well to know that "loon" has a very different meaning again.

And a loonie is a Canadian dollar, which has a solitary loon on the reverse side.

And Queenie, natch, on the obverse side.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

You should chance your arm if your paths cross. She's pretty down to earth, I gather. Don't be fooled by the rocks.
    She's been in some right turkeys but a better actor than I initially gave her credit for, she was excellent in Out of Sight.

Shocked on checking that that film was out 23 years ago :(
  • Options

Roger said:

Don’t be fooled by the rocks that she’s got, she’s still Jenny from the block.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292

Yeah, my wife did make a few exclamations of "Communist" during the speech. Probably with a mixture of sarcasm and affection, but still.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Have they shot him yet?

J
    BTW, if you are moving to Canada, it might be as well to know that "loon" has a very different meaning again.

And a loonie is a Canadian dollar, which has a solitary loon on the reverse side.

Don't forget your toonies...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Well, it sounds like I'm in a minority, but I thought Biden's speech was absolutely splendid; not sure what more he could have said. Just the right tone, and enough substance to set an agenda for the future. And Kamala is just fab - she just looks so excited about her new job, which is refreshing.

I remain baffled by the extent of the God thing, however, in the USA. Doesn't sit easily for me with being 'the most advanced nation on earth'.

Go there and look at the state of the place, and you wouldn’t be suggesting they are the most advanced, except in regards of having perfected the art of getting so many citizens to work more hours than elsewhere in the west for modest pay in order to syphon off just enough federal revenue to support a very powerful military.
    I wasn't claiming it was the most advanced nation on earth - it's what they claim. That's why I put it in quotes. I certainly don't think it is, and I raised the God thing to illustrate this. I'd also agree that the gross inequalities evident in a nation of such wealth pushes it a long way down on any league table of greatness.
    It is quite a shock to learn of the costs involved in just having an accident and being taken in an ambulance to hospital. Is that a civilised nation, one wonders?

Still an old favourite, the YouTube of British mothers having explained to them the charges at US Maternity Hospitals.

The several $10s charged for the midwife "to hand your baby to you for its first hug" and the assertion that such a healthcare worker would have"their lights punched out" was av particular highlight.

Unfortunately can't locate it just now.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

eristdoof said:

Is he plagiarising again? This could be a good hobby for the next 4 years for keen political observers.
    "Is no-one allowed to quote anyone else these days?"
    - eristdoof
    Let me correct that for you:

"Is(1) no-one(2) allowed(3) to(4) quote(4) anyone(5) else(6) these(7) days(8)?"

Refs:
    (1) eristdoof
    (2) eristdoof
    (3) eristdoof
    (4) eristdoof
    (5) eristdoof
    (6) eristdoof
    (7) eristdoof
    (8) eristdoof
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited January 2021
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah, I have really excellent health insurance through my work, compared to most: I don't pay anything for "in network" services other than a fixed "co-pay" fee. For ambulances that's $75, for emergency room visits, that's $100. However, there is only one ambulance service "in network" for me in the tri-state area, and that's in the Bronx, 15 miles away. The only ER "in network" is in Brooklyn, another 15 miles further! I pay a small (very small by American standards: just $60 for each of us) extra monthly premium for "out-of-network" coverage. However, I have to cover up to a $500 p.a. deductible (again, very small by usual standards) before the insurance pays out. Also any "out of network" treatment after emergency care is only covered at 90% (yet again, generous, typically out-of-network is only 80% covered in the best of plans) but there is a theoretical "out of pocket maximum" of $2,500 after which the insurance is supposed to cover 100%.

I'm very fortunate to work for a company that is a) based in Sweden so our HR are willing to provide their US arm good healthcare and b) has a very young and therefore healthy workforce which means it can afford to.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

"Is no-one allowed to quote anyone else these days?"
    - eristdoof
    I wonder how Pelosi thinks the oratory compares with 1961. There can't be many others around today who were there for JFK.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

But of course - he was a classicist before he went bad.
  • Options
    Change of question:

Has the Donald been arrested yet? From what I read earlier authorities in New York Stake have a few* suspected criminal matters they wish to question him about.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Change of question:

Has the Donald been arrested yet? From what I read earlier authorities in New York Stake have a few* suspected criminal matters they wish to question him about.

Not yet. I don't imagine that the NY AG or Manhattan DA want to overshadow the inauguration by pouncing immediately.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Carnyx said:

Have they shot him yet?

J

Don't forget your toonies...
    People from the Toon? AKA Novocastrians.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

She's been in some right turkeys but a better actor than I initially gave her credit for, she was excellent in Out of Sight.

Shocked on checking that that film was out 23 years ago :(
    Yes I remember that being very enjoyable. Have a vague recollection - since it does seem ages ago - of her being locked in a car boot with George Clooney. Every viewer identifying with one or the other and thinking "worse fates".
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Change of question:

Not yet. I don't imagine that the NY AG or Manhattan DA want to overshadow the inauguration by pouncing immediately.
    It will be fascinating to see who breaks first
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    This thread has departed to Florida in a huff....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Dear Laura Kuennsberg, I have joined this Holocaust seminar to hear a guest talk about the Holocaust, not to hear you witter on about Trump.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    More evidence of the clear benefits of ensuring BOTH vaccinations are administered rather than hoping for the best with just one.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Change of question:

Justice delayed, etc.
    I see no reason to wait. If they have indictments ready to flow, open the tap.
  • Options
    Yes, Britain is a pagan land. Thus in some very real sense, Trumpsky would be THE perfect ruler for youse.

British heathenism is rather ironic given that your monarch is the head of your state church, indeed "Defender of the Faith".

Judging by the state of things, QEII & her predecessors have done a piss-poor job of THAT.

Or maybe BECAUSE of that? In light of the fact that the United States, where separation of church & state is enshrined in the Bill of Rights, is arguably MUCH more religious. In large part BECAUSE there is no state religion.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    Saga Cruises will require full vaccination a minimum of 14 days before departure - suspect others may follow as vaccine extends below 50:

https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/cruise-coronavirus-vaccine.aspx
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Brendan O'Neill on why Trump wasn't a success.

"This isn’t to say Trump is without guilt in this process. On the contrary, he played an important role in intensifying the elite turn against the ideals of the New World. By launching rhetorical crusades against woke excesses without creating the institutional or intellectual apparatus for preserving and celebrating American virtues, Trump helped to make things worse. He enraged the cultural elites and provoked them to ever-more illiberal assaults on freedom of speech and historical memory while failing to create the organisational structures that might have withstood such assaults. Trump was an instrument too blunt to be able to hold back the new crusade against the American project."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/01/20/joe-biden-and-the-crisis-of-the-new-world/

So Trump almost succeeded in his efforts to inspire a coup against his democratically elected opponents, but it's the latter who represent the " crusade against the American project." Hmm... I am calling bollocks on this one.
    I'm curious as to what Brendan's mental image is when he types out "the American project".
    Probably The Man in the High Castle
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Any reason why Biden's speech began 10 mins early? They usually time things so that the oath is taken on the stroke of Noon. Perhaps part of the ceremony was cancelled at the last minute?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Carnyx said:

Have they shot him yet?

J

Indeed. Isn't the currency itself sometimes referred to as the loon?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Any reason why Biden's speech began 10 mins early? They usually time things so that the oath is taken on the stroke of Noon. Perhaps part of the ceremony was cancelled at the last minute?

He should be impeached for insurrection - declaring himself president and speaking as President 10 minutes before he really was. Disgraceful.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010

Roger said:

Don’t be fooled by the rocks that she’s got, she’s still Jenny from the block.
    Nice one 😊
This discussion has been closed.