Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so to Trump’s final hours in office – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    Age related

• Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    MaxPB said:

Record deaths - but cases still trending down and admissions growth slowing.

1,820 dead and only 142 new admissions - does that suggest some easing off of the pressure on the NHS (grim as that process undoubtedly is)?
    No, that's the increase in the number of admissions vs the previous 7 days. The actual number is 3,887 admitted to hospitals on the 16th, it's still a massive disaster.
    Terrible numbers indeed. We probably have another 2 weeks of this, specifically on deaths. And then, hopefully, a sharp improvement.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004
    Andy_JS said:

Brendan O'Neill on why Trump wasn't a success.

"This isn’t to say Trump is without guilt in this process. On the contrary, he played an important role in intensifying the elite turn against the ideals of the New World. By launching rhetorical crusades against woke excesses without creating the institutional or intellectual apparatus for preserving and celebrating American virtues, Trump helped to make things worse. He enraged the cultural elites and provoked them to ever-more illiberal assaults on freedom of speech and historical memory while failing to create the organisational structures that might have withstood such assaults. Trump was an instrument too blunt to be able to hold back the new crusade against the American project."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/01/20/joe-biden-and-the-crisis-of-the-new-world/

Really?

Criticizing Woke and Identity Politics is one thing (I did it myself a few weeks ago).

But Trump didn't do that.

Trump did Identity Politics for whites who felt left behind.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Not going to be surprised if we exceed 2000 deaths by a significant amount in next day or two. So many in hospital it is inevitable

But please can we talk about day of death, not day of reporting!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's of course what I was referring to. We aren't the BBC, Sky, etc here.
    Seems unlikely as the worst day of death is currently at 1080 (ish be eyeball)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

343k first doses, record number. 347k in total.

But it'll be a disaster if the figure is only 200K tomorrow, according to our stupid media. And then amazing if it's 400K on Friday.
    24 hr news and the desire to sell papers means they need to find crap to fill the space.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Pulpstar said:

Safe enough to put down Blunt as a vote to convict :) ?

Are you on conviction? I am.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Safe enough to put down Blunt as a vote to convict :) ?

Sounds like it.
    It seems to be getting to a tipping point.

There's safety in numbers. They'll be talking to each other and sounding each other out. If everyone is angry with Trump then they can all stick the knife in now together, not leave one person holding it.
  • Options
    I remember when Obama became POTUS and how the Secret Service/DIA were worried that his Blackberry was a security risk.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Nigelb said:

TimT said:

gealbhan said:

theProle said:

gealbhan said:

Pulpstar said:

[Snipped]

gealbhan said:

But one jab doesn’t create immunity in that person. So where does the herd immunity come from?

After vaccination Everybody can still carry COVID about and give it to everyone, after vaccination old, frail or vulnerable are still going to get very ill and die. They still can’t hug their family. Care homes will still be in difficult place.

That’s not herd immunity back to normal is it?

Instead of word immunity use protection, instead of back to normal say better place?

The trial groups are all in contact with the outside (unvaccinated) world. Once everyone is vaccinated, well everyone has protection - and the people they can catch it from have protection so are less likely to transmit to people that themselves have protection.
    It's the cumulative effect of individual protection that leads to immunity of the population.
    Okay. That’s how all vaccines work - There’s no vaccine that gives 100% immunity? But the population overall is in better place, and we call it herd immunity?

Is still think the word immunity is causing an expectation problem. To say to someone you have 80% immunity is saying 80% protection but not immune. Isn’t it?
    I don't think vaccines work quite like that. AIUI, with most vaccines, as an individual you are either almost 100% immune, or you are 0% immune. The 80% figure is because 8 out of 10 people get the 100% immunity, whilst the other 2 out of ten get 0%.
    I’ll put my hand up and admit I didn’t realise it worked like that. 8 out of ten full immunity 2 out of 10 zilch.
    How’s a herd immunity achieved under this science then?
    The virus runs out of people to infect.
    Herd immunity is reached the same way - by a combination of immunity acquired through vaccination and through exposure to the disease.

herd immunity threshold = 1-1/R0

So if R0 is 2.8, herd immunity is acquired when 64% of the population has acquired immunity either by effective vaccination or by exposure resulting in a full immune response. If only 80% of those vaccinated acquire immunity, you either have to rely on vaccinating more people, or on more people acquiring immunity via infection.

PS In this example, if you were to rely solely on vaccination with a vaccine that gives 80% effective response, you'd have to vaccinate 80% of the population to get to the 64%
    And it's more complicated still than that, as prior infection confers some immunity.
    It's not true to say that you're either 100% immune, or 0% - everyone will develop some kind of immune response. Which is perhaps why, for example, AZN didn't see any serious cases is the vaccine arm of their clinical trial - and probably also why viruses persist in the general population, but become less virulent.

And still lots of uncertainties with Covid. We don't know if it will fairly rapidly (thanks to mass vaccination) become a non-virulent endemic virus like the other common cold coronaviruses, or if we're going to have to continue develop vaccines against nasty mutations for some time.
    Yeah, I know it is more complex than that, including potential cross reactivity of immune responses to the common cold corona viruses. I was just using this simplistic example to demonstrate the idea that herd immunity requires a greater percentage of the population to be vaccinated the less effective the vaccine is.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Not going to be surprised if we exceed 2000 deaths by a significant amount in next day or two. So many in hospital it is inevitable

But please can we talk about day of death, not day of reporting!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's of course what I was referring to. We aren't the BBC, Sky, etc here.
    Seems unlikely as the worst day of death is currently at 1080 (ish be eyeball)
    1,110 and yes, agree with the sentiment, I think today might end up being the peak by reporting date as we've backfilled the weekend and next week should be a bit lower.
  • Options
    NI seem to have had a bit of a stall on vaccinations after quick start. Wales still struggling. Scotland doing better.
  • Options

I remember when Obama became POTUS and how the Secret Service/DIA were worried that his Blackberry was a security risk.
    To which the kids say what's a blackberry.....
  • Options
    There’s something more than a little bit Ruratarian about this.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

343k first doses, record number.

I don't think we are going to see another 150k daily on top of that this week.
    I think we will get around 450k per day done on average from Wed-Tues.
    Daily Mail currently.rewriting all the articles they did over the past 2 days in regards to how badly the vaccine roll out is going....
    It's going from Murder Tuesday to why we don't need lockdowns.
    Its coverage really has been off the charts...flipping from the government is useless for locking down too slowly to the government is useless for not opening up quickly enough in the time it takes to hit f5.
    If you think the articles are off the charts, read some of the comments below them.

One chap posted that he thinks the NHS staff is something like 60% BAME & gays and they are providing a rubbish service to help the great replacement of white project.
  • Options

UK vaccinations

Is it wishful thinking to imagine a greater decline in the admission rate for 65-84 (more than the other large cohorts)?
  • Options

NI seem to have had a bit of a stall on vaccinations after quick start. Wales still struggling. Scotland doing better.

Arrgh - keep forgetting this one. % of nations vaccinated....

• Options

Somebody should have given Hillary the memo.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Andy_JS said:

"This isn’t to say Trump is without guilt in this process. On the contrary, he played an important role in intensifying the elite turn against the ideals of the New World. By launching rhetorical crusades against woke excesses without creating the institutional or intellectual apparatus for preserving and celebrating American virtues, Trump helped to make things worse. He enraged the cultural elites and provoked them to ever-more illiberal assaults on freedom of speech and historical memory while failing to create the organisational structures that might have withstood such assaults. Trump was an instrument too blunt to be able to hold back the new crusade against the American project."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/01/20/joe-biden-and-the-crisis-of-the-new-world/

So Trump almost succeeded in his efforts to inspire a coup against his democratically elected opponents, but it's the latter who represent the " crusade against the American project." Hmm... I am calling bollocks on this one.
    I'm curious as to what Brendan's mental image is when he types out "the American project".
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    AlistairM said:

MaxPB said:

We have officially had a higher peak of deaths in the second wave, 1110 on the 12th of Jan vs 1073 on the 8th of April, I think the number starts to fall from there but at a slower rate than it did in the first wave where we had less overall activity and we weren't contending with a more infectious strain.

At the moment the cases look to me to be going down almost as fast as they went up. Let's hope that continues as it is still early days in that downward trend. Last year it was a much slower decrease.
    7 day case averages went up by up 60% week to week (and a lot more than that in some places like Liverpool). They're going down by around 20% week-to-week at the moment.

So as usual, a delayed lockdown means a longer lockdown to get back to the same level, killing more people along the way.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Bring on Lady G
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    First Lady Gaga sings Star Spangled Banner for President Gaga.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Criticizing Woke and Identity Politics is one thing (I did it myself a few weeks ago).

Interesting then, he managed to get so many Hispanics to vote for him. In places like Florida!

What were they thinking?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Gaga smashing it
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Lady Gaga is wearing Trump's foundation.
  • Options
    Goosebumps. America's back.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2021

I officially became an old git in 2019 when I explained to a very young staff member what Ceefax was.

'It was the internet on your TV' after I had told them that they haven't lived if they've never watched a football match on Ceefax 303.
  • Options

You should add a trigger warning for Malc on this one.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021

I officially became an old git in 2019 when I explained to a very young staff what Ceefax was.

'It was the internet on your TV' after I had told them that they haven't lived if they've never watched a football match on Ceefax 303.
    My neighbours kids don't really believe there was a time before the internet....at least not experienced by those that aren't pushing 80.

Explaining dial up internet to them, they genuinely think I am just winding them up.
  • Options

Looks like G-POLX is heading back to Doncaster Airport.

I wonder what that was all about.

Where was it planned to go?
    Over our house about 20 times!
  • Options
    Pledging allegiance to the flag eh? Imagine Corbyn might have struggled if (a) he'd won an election and (b) we did this bit of nonsense...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Christ. As bad as Wales. How bad is that?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891

You mean you've never had the helicopter hovering over your house in the past?

Must be a very posh area...with gates...
  • Options

I officially became an old git in 2019 when I explained to a very young staff what Ceefax was.

My neighbours kids don't really believe there was a time before the internet....at least not experienced by those that aren't pushing 80.

Explaining dial up internet to them, they genuinely think I am just winding them up.
    Tell them that Netflix used to post out their content to you.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

The fun part was watching cricket.

You always knew when there was a wicket, as there was about a three minute pause in the update.
  • Options
    So how long before she’s President? I’m guessing 2023.
  • Options
    Bye bye Pence.
  • Options

RobD said:

We're waiting for it..

"We're allll right, we're alllll right" :D

I'm only watching it to hear Lady Gaga.
    She's no Vera Lynn
  • Options

Bye bye Pence.

He didn’t do much but when called upon under severe pressure he did his duty.
  • Options
    Am looking forward to The Simpsons take on this 'ceremony', hosted by Sideshow Bob.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986

BT have announced end of life for POTS lines
  • Options

Pledging allegiance to the flag eh? Imagine Corbyn might have struggled if (a) he'd won an election and (b) we did this bit of nonsense...

It's the "One nation under God" bit that I would have a problem with.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Gaga is better then JLo
  • Options

Tell them what was included in your first ever mobile contract monthly allowance and the price.

They looked at me weirdly that I paid £45 a month for 200 minutes to landlines and people on the same network as me.

No inclusive texts, and no data, as data didn't exist then.

Calling cross network was 50p a minute, and texts 20p a pop, limited to a 160 characters.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    DavidL said:

Bye bye Pence.

You have to wonder what would have happened if Trump had gone for say VP Flynn.
  • Options
    The Lila Downs version remains by far the best
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Tell them that Netflix used to post out their content to you.
    It's us not buying thinking about on line that puzzles our grandchildren.
  • Options
    Do the television commentators know that we can hear the American chap announce what is about to happen? They do not need to repeat it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Feels a bit like a superbowl half time show.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bye bye Pence.

He should have removed President Bungle, but I won't hold it against him.
  • Options

Do the television commentators know that we can hear the American chap announce what is about to happen? They do not need to repeat it.

Justifying their existence?
  • Options

You mean you've never had the helicopter hovering over your house in the past?

Must be a very posh area...with gates...
    Oh yeah, we've had the helicopter before. First time for a fixed wing aircraft. And there are gates, causes a bit of a hassle with the Waitrose deliveries.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

So Trump almost succeeded in his efforts to inspire a coup against his democratically elected opponents, but it's the latter who represent the " crusade against the American project." Hmm... I am calling bollocks on this one.
    I'm curious as to what Brendan's mental image is when he types out "the American project".
    Whatever the image we can be sure it will be mental.
  • Options

Tell them what was included in your first ever mobile contract monthly allowance and the price.

They looked at me weirdly that I paid £45 a month for 200 minutes to landlines and people on the same network as me.

Calling cross network was 50p a minute, and texts 20p a pop, limited to a 160 characters.
    Try explaining what your first computer cost and how much memory you got with it: I normally have to explain what KB are at that point.
    (I do this in the lesson on SI prefixes).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    They're leaving it a bit late to swoop in and arrest Biden.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,709

Bye bye Pence.

Not yet. That happens at 12.00 ET - automatically when his term expires. Which is why they swear the replacements in beforehand. Trump is still President & Pence VP for another 11 minutes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It’s not as big as that. Get real.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,417
    edited January 2021
    Scott_xP said:

That is my fault. I ended my BT contract a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Goosebumps. America's back.

You've got goosebumps because America is back? Or goosebumps on America's (collective) back?

(I know it doesn't matter in the slightest. I must have some fundamental problem with ambiguity.)
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012

Record deaths - but cases still trending down and admissions growth slowing.

1,820 dead and only 142 new admissions - does that suggest some easing off of the pressure on the NHS (grim as that process undoubtedly is)?
    Isn't it a net 142 increase in admissions?

So would be a 1962 increase and 1820 decrease potentially?
    Number in hospital is up by 2,400 on the week
  • Options
    That is one big bible
  • Options

Until quite recently I used to still have a Nokia 3310 lying around, as a emergency backup phone. I explained that it used to be thought of the absolute dogs of mobiles and snake was the fortnite of its time...bemused looks...
  • Options
    'Bye folks. G&T and glass of wine time!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

I would have thought it would be easier to roll out the initial vaccine in Scotland as well given large chunks of its population (80%, at a guess) live in only about eight or nine major urban centres with good medical facilities. In Wales, there are an awful lot of smallish remote communities that must make vaccination a logistical nightmare - and in the exception, the Valleys, the infrastructure is at best erratic.

On top of that, Wales’ government is about as incompetent as it’s possible to be without every member actually being Gavin Williamson.

So if that graph is accurate it’s a pretty poor performance by your fellow countrymen.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    10 minutes to go!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Isn't that because they are doing the oldies in care homes and the infirm/sheltering at home first? Or have things moved on?
  • Options

Until quite recently I used to still have a Nokia 3310 lying around, as a emergency backup phone. I explained that it used to be thought of the absolute dogs of mobiles and snake was the fortnite of its time...bemused looks...
    I fear that one is still being used by my less technically advanced spouse.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    So remind me - when do Biden, Obama, Clinton et al get arrested by the Secret Service and hauled away in chains to the deep underground chamber for the public trials?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is Shakira jiggling her bits again?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

I think the last number I saw was Scotland on care home residents vaccinated was 90%. Isn't concentrating on that part of the reason Scotland's rate is slower?
  • Options
    Is this pause the bit where the outgoing President is supposed to say something?
  • Options

That is one big bible

To think that Trump suggested taking the oath on his own 'art of the deal'
  • Options
    Nine minutes for the Trumpoid to pardon himself
  • Options

Try explaining what your first computer cost and how much memory you got with it: I normally have to explain what KB are at that point.
    I was always fond of my ZX81 1K.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Interesting then, he managed to get so many Hispanics to vote for him. In places like Florida!

What were they thinking?
    He got plenty of Jews to vote for him too, despite him praising Neo Nazis, being supported by people who wore 7MWE and Aushwitz T-Shirts, and making a speech where he said Jews "weren't people like us".

People are complex, who'd have thought it?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    DavidL said:

So how long before she’s President? I’m guessing 2023.

Nothing wrong with a bit of speculation, but I think that's not an issue to bet on.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nine minutes for the Trumpoid to pardon himself

Or use those codes.
  • Options

I had you down as too young to have had one of those!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

I would have thought it would be easier to roll out the initial vaccine in Scotland as well given large chunks of its population (80%, at a guess) live in only about eight or nine major urban centres with good medical facilities. In Wales, there are an awful lot of smallish remote communities that must make vaccination a logistical nightmare - and in the exception, the Valleys, the infrastructure is at best erratic.

On top of that, Wales’ government is about as it’s possible to be without every member actually being Gavin Williamson.

So if that graph is accurate it’s a pretty poor performance by your fellow countrymen.
    To explain it would take detailed data we don't have, as yet.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Am looking forward to The Simpsons take on this 'ceremony', hosted by Sideshow Bob.

You are almost as big a loser as your hero Trumpsky.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

So remind me - when do Biden, Obama, Clinton et al get arrested by the Secret Service and hauled away in chains to the deep underground chamber for the public trials?

No you're behind the 8-ball, I think the person speaking now is supposed to be Trump but with Biden's face.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

I officially became an old git in 2019 when I explained to a very young staff member what Ceefax was.

I explained to a young lady at work today what was a conference room spider phone. She never remembered a time we didn’t have at least Skype for video calls.
  • Options

6 minutes
  • Options
    "democracy has prevailed"

amen
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

Have you seen the output of Trump's 1776 project? It is hilarious.
  • Options

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

I think the last number I saw was Scotland on care home residents vaccinated was 90%. Isn't concentrating on that part of the reason Scotland's rate is slower?
    I hope so. It just seems to be extremely bureaucratic. The Health Boards are not covering themselves in glory.
  • Options
    I want to know what his Peloton username is so that I can check my scores against his :smile:

Here's a question: do any other PBers Peloton? If so, let me know your username so I can follow you.

(My username is pretty easy to guess.)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Isn't that because they are doing the oldies in care homes and the infirm/sheltering at home first? Or have things moved on?
    If that's the case then it's a misunderstanding of how vaccines work. They should be doing as many people as possible all the time. Leaving doses in the fridge and other vulnerable groups not done because the first group isn't fully done makes no sense. If it means throwing more bodies at starting the next group simultaneously as England has done for the over 70s cohort then that's what they need to do. It's like having a dual core processor instead of a single core one, you do multiple tasks at the same time, not just one.
  • Options
    Why do the oath of office a quarter of an hour early?

Why not time it so that Biden starts giving this speech at middday?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    edited January 2021

Scott_xP said:

That is my fault. I ended my BT contract a couple of weeks ago.
    I switched my in-laws to Sky from BT due to their ridiculous monthly bill (well, it was their daughter, my wife, who harassed them into agreeing, I just organised it and set up the kit). All kinds of problems when it turned out Sky are not using POTS for new subscribers routinely, instead VOIP (although handled at the router, so you can plug your POTS phone into the router):

"You plug the phone in here"

"Ok, don't forget the splitter because we have this ancient phone plugged in along with the wireless one in case of a power cut"

"If there's a power cut the router will go off and neither phone will work. But both your mobiles will still work"

"But what if there's a power cut and someone wants to call us?"

"They'll probably call your mobile if you don't answer the landline"

(above several times over several days).

To be fair, Sky should have made it - and the implications - obvious. All there was in sign-up was a question about whether any personal assistance alarms were installed (selecting yes would have got them a POTS line for the power cut issue)
  • Options

No you're behind the 8-ball, I think the person speaking now is supposed to be Trump but with Biden's face.
    If we could convince the Qanon nutters that Biden is Trump with a funny costume and mask, that would reunite America like nothing else could.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,687

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Really?

What were they thinking?
    That they were white and left behind, obviously. They were Cubans, weren´t they?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

amen

Echoing the words the democrats uttered in 2016, when they lost fair and square.

Oh wait....
  • Options
    Betfair has suspended its market on Trump leaving office in 2021.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2021

I had you down as too young to have had one of those!
    It was gift from a neighbour.

I was old enough to get the Spectrum 128K +3 though.

My first ever proper computer in 1992, as a callow teenager, had 2 MB of RAM, which I'm fairly certain was top of the range.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

My first computer cost 1k-ish. It had 48k of memory.
  • Options

amen

Echoing the words the democrats uttered in 2016, when they lost fair and square.

Oh wait....
    hahaha, bitter loser
This discussion has been closed.