Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

McConnell’s impeachment move means Trump looks set to serve a full term and there’ll be no President

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,121

Going to be just short of 300k vaccinations across UK yesterday.

A1, Boris....

Now for 500k.
    The reports were delivery of 3.8m new doses next week. So supply should be there.
    Which will be more than the entire adult population of Leicester. Every day.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,435

Alistair said:

THEY'VE ACTUALLY DONE SOMETHING GOOD AND ALMOST TIMELY ALERT

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1349745992099364868

Even banning travel from Portugal as well as an obvious transit point.

The threatened formation of the Punch Grants Shapps in the Face Party is working.....
    Although he has gone a bit Trump with the excessive and slightly random use of capital letters
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,193

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"A regional breakdown of England's vaccines rollout shows the Midlands leading the way in the number of jabs administered, while London has the lowest vaccination rate."

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-more-than-2-3m-vaccine-jabs-given-across-england-as-midlands-leads-the-way-12187569

Midlands has surely got an older population than London? Can think of lots of people who retired to Staffordshire from the Smoke (sell that mid-size that needs a bit of work for a huge sum, live like a king in a gorgeous house in Lichfield for the rest of your life.)
    Lichfield though
    It's a long tradition on PB of people who hate London, have never lived in London, have no wish to live in London, telling Londoners how much money/space they could 'gain' by living in Not London.

What they don't seem to grasp is that many of us love London, don't want to leave London and have no desire whatsoever to live in Lichfield.
    But, we have all lived in London ... on Chiswick Mall.

It is Londoners who are the problem. They ruined everything with their insatiable greed & caused Brexit ...

Wenn man fragt, wer wohl sterben muss.
    Und dann werden Sie mich sagen hören "Alle!"
    Und wenn dann der Kopf fällt, sage ich"Hoppla!"

Because Brexit always was the greatest revenge fantasy of all.
    I wish they'd just come down and keyed some hybrids instead.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    MaxPB said:

The UK has done more vaccinations in one day than France has done in total.

Paradoxically it's a lesson in the evils of economic nationalism.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021
    We just have to pray that especially AZN vaccine is effective against Brazilan Bum Covid and the other members of team mutant.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited January 2021
    Is there any evidence curfews are effective tools in our situation?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294
    edited January 2021
    glw said:

"Influential Tories".* Oh dear.....

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1349744734139514880?s=20

*Steve Baker, legend in his own lunchtime.....

Load of berks, no doubt.
    All 12 of them who voted against the act

Absolute bellends, the lot of them
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

My wife is doing a 4 hour shift at a vaccination centre this afternoon. I have asked her to count how many she does in that time period

That would be useful information to know.
    If spread betting, I'd go for just under 500
    At my mother's (her again!) local hospital vaccine centre they were doing 350 a day a fortnight ago and were expecting to ramp up the following week (1st week of Jan) to 500.

This was with immediate registration on entrance, waiting 1 min, then 3 min assessment filling in the forms online with one doctor (nurse? not sure), 1 min waiting, 2 mins with the doctor (they had several rooms each with a doctor in) who assessed her in person and administered the jab, and waiting the 15 minutes marshalled by one orderly.

While we were there (22 mins! :smile: ) there was minimal waiting and there were about 5-10 people at any one time in the 15 minute waiting area.

Let someone on PB disaggregate that and work out likely vaccination rates.

Edit: they seemed very not busy but it could easily have been very good planning for throughput.
    It looks like it varies according to vaccine then.

Local football stadium.

Today: straight in the door (just turn up on or near appointment time). Three desks. Who are you (computer form), here's your card, here's your AZN jab, next. Rate limited by speed of vaccination and form filling. 5 minutes in and out.

Last week: Who are you, here's your card and sticker with your exit time, here's your Pfizer jab, sit over there until your exit time, next. Rate limited by number of chairs (30-35). 20 minutes in and out.

One thing's for sure - you describe the experience more succinctly than me. :smile:

You get the @Mysticrose Award for Brevity today.

My mother braved the Halifax-like conditions and made her vaccination appointment today.
    Got a toasted cheese sandwich and cup of tea while waiting the mandatory 15mins.
    Great to hear. One up from a plain digestive biscuit.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    edited January 2021
    At least they're enjoying a snowball fight in the Puerta del Sol [sic].
    Thanks Filomena!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47k7es1Z4-c
  • Options
    What's the difference between Brazilian Covid and Cockney Covid - or Saffers Covid?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886

We just have to pray that especially AZN vaccine is effective against Brazilan Bum Covid and the other members of team mutant.

Team mutant:
    UK
    South Africa
    Brazil

Team AZN vaccine trials:
    UK
    South Africa
    Brazil

Team conspiracy theory: Me
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,004
    edited January 2021

For laughs, I'd like to see James Kelly. But Sarwar is most likely.

Any remaining Tankies in ScotLab will then depart, as they will think he's a Tory.
    Not necessarily, Labour got 24% in Scotland in 2015 under Jim Murphy on a more centrist platform but just 18% in 2019 under Leonard on a Corbynite platform.

While that may not win them many if any extra constituency seats it could win them more seats on the list than they were heading for
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

glw said:

"Influential Tories".* Oh dear.....

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1349744734139514880?s=20

*Steve Baker, legend in his own lunchtime.....

Load of berks, no doubt.
    All 12 of them who voted against the act

Absolute bellends, the lot of them
    The ultimate awkward squad. They just like causing trouble as it makes them think they're important.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    That is good news for labour in Scotland
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Is it? We paid a UK company to manufacture a UK vaccine in the UK. It's working pretty well so far. France relied on an EU scheme that didn't have any scope for domestic manufacturing subsidies and it's completely fucked them over.

I'm as free market as they come, except in times of war. In a war securing necessary supplies must be done at any cost. Ensuring that the AZ vaccine supply was not going to be interrupted by India imposing a likely export ban on the SII was part of our thought process and it's paying off for us.

If Germany had subsidised manufacturing capacity of an additional 50m per month for BioNTech, that would cover the shortfall in EU supply. The EU scheme didn't allow them to do that and now the continent is scrambling for supply in the international market and trying to secure domestic manufacturing for the second half of this year.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

My wife is doing a 4 hour shift at a vaccination centre this afternoon. I have asked her to count how many she does in that time period

That would be useful information to know.
    If spread betting, I'd go for just under 500
    At my mother's (her again!) local hospital vaccine centre they were doing 350 a day a fortnight ago and were expecting to ramp up the following week (1st week of Jan) to 500.

This was with immediate registration on entrance, waiting 1 min, then 3 min assessment filling in the forms online with one doctor (nurse? not sure), 1 min waiting, 2 mins with the doctor (they had several rooms each with a doctor in) who assessed her in person and administered the jab, and waiting the 15 minutes marshalled by one orderly.

While we were there (22 mins! :smile: ) there was minimal waiting and there were about 5-10 people at any one time in the 15 minute waiting area.

Let someone on PB disaggregate that and work out likely vaccination rates.

Edit: they seemed very not busy but it could easily have been very good planning for throughput.
    It looks like it varies according to vaccine then.

Local football stadium.

Today: straight in the door (just turn up on or near appointment time). Three desks. Who are you (computer form), here's your card, here's your AZN jab, next. Rate limited by speed of vaccination and form filling. 5 minutes in and out.

Last week: Who are you, here's your card and sticker with your exit time, here's your Pfizer jab, sit over there until your exit time, next. Rate limited by number of chairs (30-35). 20 minutes in and out.

One thing's for sure - you describe the experience more succinctly than me. :smile:

You get the @Mysticrose Award for Brevity today.

My mother braved the Halifax-like conditions and made her vaccination appointment today.
    Got a toasted cheese sandwich and cup of tea while waiting the mandatory 15mins.
    Great to hear. One up from a plain digestive biscuit.
    As long as she sticks to just a cheese toastie. We know that the addition of other fillings can have worse consequences than Covid itself....

(You need to know the joke!)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,731

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

felix said:

MaxPB said:

Having another look at European vaccine stats, I think Denmark have hit the supply wall and Italy are about to hit it. One of the most striking things is that the rate in most countries is constant, there doesn't seem to be any urgency to ramp up quickly as there very obviously is in the UK. I don't know what kind of pressure the German or other European governments are being put under to speed up the process but it is considerable over here with almost every other question for ministers, scientists and the PM being a reformulated version of "why is this happening so slowly?".

As someone suggested yesterday or the day before, not being able to blame the EU in this matter has made Westminster politicians accountable to the people. Were we in the EU scheme it would be a simple case of "not our fault guv" which I think is happening all across Europe right now.

Yes - there is just resignation here in Spain - no urgency and little chance of anyone under 70 seeing a jabe befores May/June at best. Meanwhile the 3rd wave is gathering pace. frankly it's a co mplete clusterfucK!
    Portugal is really bad too. Similar soaring rate to Ireland, so maybe Kentish Covid is doing its thing there, too. Total lockdown for 2 months from tomorrow.

Dental question for Pb-ers. My teeth are in a right old state. Haven’t been cleaned for a year. Just forgot, when I had a chance in the summer.

If I leave it much longer I’ll get gum problems. And dentists are open so I could get an appointment. Worth the risk?
    Of course you should go if you can - I went yesterday. Extraction.

AFAIK it is important stuff only - at least it is with our dental practice. No chance of a regular check up or a visit to hygienist (which I presume you are referring to) round here.

I`m worried me about my children who haven`t had check ups for over a year.
    I got an appointment Monday. Cleaning. Which is pretty crucial if you haven’t had it done for a year
    Scale and polish won't really help if you've got stained teeth (coffee and red wine). You should get some Crest whitestrips.
    Some ideas here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq8otTNV75s
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,169

What's the difference between Brazilian Covid and Cockney Covid - or Saffers Covid?

Look at Manaus, and shudder

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/hopes-herd-immunity-wane-manaus-city-declares-state-emergency/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021

Significant mutation in key area.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/what-is-known-about-the-brazilian-coronavirus-variant-39968411.html
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    edited January 2021
    Deleted Francis has a better answer
  • Options
    There doesn't need to be anything said other than:

"They were the Corbyn years....."
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,193

Different mutation(s) in the RNA sequence. Think like a typo in the script. Most copying errors don't survive, but some do, and some change the character of the virus. In the SA and Kent examples, changes in the spike protein seem to make it more sticky (the spike is what attached to cells in the host). Not sure for the Brazil one.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Is it? We paid a UK company to manufacture a UK vaccine in the UK. It's working pretty well so far. France relied on an EU scheme that didn't have any scope for domestic manufacturing subsidies and it's completely fucked them over.

I'm as free market as they come, except in times of war. In a war securing necessary supplies must be done at any cost. Ensuring that the AZ vaccine supply was not going to be interrupted by India imposing a likely export ban on the SII was part of our thought process and it's paying off for us.

If Germany had subsidised manufacturing capacity of an additional 50m per month for BioNTech, that would cover the shortfall in EU supply. The EU scheme didn't allow them to do that and now the continent is scrambling for supply in the international market and trying to secure domestic manufacturing for the second half of this year.
    I think Germany did subsidise BioNTech, and they got supplies outwith the EU scheme (to the chagrin of Italian politicians).

• Options

Pulpstar said:
    Is that good news for the Union?
  • Options
    eek said:

Brazilian / Saffers Covid = more deadly - possible more contagious
    Cockney Covid = more contagious - same / slightly less deadly.
    Also - Kent COVID is not immune to vaccines. We don't know for the other two yet.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,781
    Pulpstar said:
    He doesn’t need a mask to hide himself.....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Team mutant:
    UK
    South Africa
    Brazil

Team AZN vaccine trials:
    UK
    South Africa
    Brazil

The UK has done the most sequencing anywhere, and South Africa the most in Africa, so I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil is the leader in South America. It's probably that these countries are looking more than other countries, and so they are finding variants.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,597
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

felix said:

MaxPB said:

Having another look at European vaccine stats, I think Denmark have hit the supply wall and Italy are about to hit it. One of the most striking things is that the rate in most countries is constant, there doesn't seem to be any urgency to ramp up quickly as there very obviously is in the UK. I don't know what kind of pressure the German or other European governments are being put under to speed up the process but it is considerable over here with almost every other question for ministers, scientists and the PM being a reformulated version of "why is this happening so slowly?".

As someone suggested yesterday or the day before, not being able to blame the EU in this matter has made Westminster politicians accountable to the people. Were we in the EU scheme it would be a simple case of "not our fault guv" which I think is happening all across Europe right now.

Yes - there is just resignation here in Spain - no urgency and little chance of anyone under 70 seeing a jabe befores May/June at best. Meanwhile the 3rd wave is gathering pace. frankly it's a co mplete clusterfucK!
    May/June? That's just unbelievable.
    It is absolutely pathetic. I mean, if that is anywhere near true it's an international disgrace on a grand scale.
    There is only so much manufacturing capacity to go around - so some countries were always going to lose out.
    Given the cost to the world economy of not vaccinating everyone rapidly, this ought already to have been done. The cost benefit analysis makes it a no brainier for wealthier nations to have funded.
    With someone else other than Trump as president, perhaps it would have been.
    https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1349473388448854016
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"A regional breakdown of England's vaccines rollout shows the Midlands leading the way in the number of jabs administered, while London has the lowest vaccination rate."

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-more-than-2-3m-vaccine-jabs-given-across-england-as-midlands-leads-the-way-12187569

Midlands has surely got an older population than London? Can think of lots of people who retired to Staffordshire from the Smoke (sell that mid-size that needs a bit of work for a huge sum, live like a king in a gorgeous house in Lichfield for the rest of your life.)
    Lichfield though
    It's a long tradition on PB of people who hate London, have never lived in London, have no wish to live in London, telling Londoners how much money/space they could 'gain' by living in Not London.

What they don't seem to grasp is that many of us love London, don't want to leave London and have no desire whatsoever to live in Lichfield.
    I like both of them. And it's only an hour by train.
    I love London and am sure the millions who live there do so as well
    Only 50 mins by train for me. I happily wander around going from cafe to cafe. Sometimes it can get a bit OCD - with me vetting possible cafes before committing myself. Key features are proper espresso machine (obvs) and comfy chair (sofa ideally) to sit and people-watch. Easter maybe?
    The flaneur. Book on lap, eyes elsewhere. Coffee lasts an age. Great thing to do.

The flaneur. That's what they call it in Paris. In London? - no equivalent term sadly.
    Idler?
    Hmm, no, that doesn't quite work. Because it's not that easy. It takes a certain skill and focus to hang out in cafes and bars for a prolonged period.
  • Options
    How is it Ruth Davidson makes this about herself? Woman's got an ego and a half on her.
  • Options
    This thread has been shut down like France from this evening....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,169
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Lichfield though

I like both of them. And it's only an hour by train.
    I love London and am sure the millions who live there do so as well
    Only 50 mins by train for me. I happily wander around going from cafe to cafe. Sometimes it can get a bit OCD - with me vetting possible cafes before committing myself. Key features are proper espresso machine (obvs) and comfy chair (sofa ideally) to sit and people-watch. Easter maybe?
    The flaneur. Book on lap, eyes elsewhere. Coffee lasts an age. Great thing to do.

The flaneur. That's what they call it in Paris. In London? - no equivalent term sadly.
    Boulevardier. I use the term constantly
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,781

Going to be just short of 300k vaccinations across UK yesterday. Probably 285-290k ish.

Get the old Quattro up another gear with the pharmacies coming online over the next few days, might be seeing 350k per day by end of next week.

Prioritising the ambulant public over care homes?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think Germany did subsidise BioNTech, and they got supplies outwith the EU scheme (to the chagrin of Italian politicians).

I think for around 30m doses though, that's not exactly going to make much of a difference.

The EU has stepped up now AIUI and manufacturing capacity has been secured for H2 in Germany, but that's not for another 8-9 months.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,178

Pulpstar said:
    Labour are already DOA North of the Border.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    Is that good news for the Union?
    It is certainly not a negative

Indeed with the right leader labour could well pass the conservatives as the party of choice for the union but I would also expect considerable tactical voting in the next Scots election

I certainly would vote labour tactically in Scotland
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1349750812415819777

Going well for Macron... how many vaccines are they on now?

Pretty bad, isn't it? How long at this rate do we think it'll be before they overtake the UK on the number of daily infections or daily deaths, or total infections, or total deaths. Must be pretty soon now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Pulpstar said:
    Usually people wait for the bad election results before quitting. All the union party leaders might as well do it (maybe not sld)
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    glw said:

Team mutant:
    UK
    South Africa
    Brazil

Team AZN vaccine trials:
    UK
    South Africa
    Brazil

The UK has done the most sequencing anywhere, and South Africa the most in Africa, so I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil is the leader in South America. It's probably that these countries are looking more than other countries, and so they are finding variants.
    Yeah, I know. Just trolling. Expect some idiots to make something of it, though.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,616
    geoffw said:

At least they're enjoying a snowball fight in the Puerta del Sol [sic].
    Thanks Filomena!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47k7es1Z4-c

Nice video but they don't seem to practising social distancing much, and just wearing a mask on its own isn't enough.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

Have we seen this yet

https://twitter.com/fishingforleave/status/1347450935472254977

Yes we voted for leave and granted you are not involved in fishing but it's remain's fault that we have problem exporting fish.

I presume these are the wrong sort of fishermen so we shouldn't listen to them.
    Have you read the article?
    1. The "SNP hindering fishing" accusation is from the Tories
    2. The fisherman quoted in the article says "“I’m questioning whether to carry on”
    3. The CEO of Seafood Scotland is quoted saying "“The last 48 hours has really delivered what was expected – new bureaucratic non-tariff barriers, and no one body with the tools to be able to fix the situation."
    4. The CEO of Scotland Food and Drink is quoted saying "“We have warned for months about the lack of preparation time for everyone involved and these problems sadly come as little surprise"

Your "wrong sort of fishermen" comment implies the article has fishing folk attacking the Scottish government. They are not. Thats the Tories. The industry is saying "we warned for months. This was expected. Is it worth carrying on"

You were saying...?
    Seafood Scotland is an industry body that has been funded by the EU, and The Scottish Government:
    https://www.fishfarmingexpert.com/article/eu-cash-boost-for-seafood-scotland/
    https://fishingnews.co.uk/news/ssa-seafish-must-change/

So it's hardly surprising that the woman quoted launches into a rant about Brexit, whilst also being at pains to give a long and detailed explanation as to why checks by the Scottish agency concerned are taking so long, which absolves them of all blame.

Scotland Food and Drink is another quango funded by the Scottish Government.

These criticisms are no more valid than the opposing ones of the Scottish Tories - and in fact it's far more insidious to use quasi-independent public bodies to parrot your lines. The fact that they are doing this seems to be made quite clear by the lack of Scottish Government comment - they didn't need to.
    Right. So industry bodies representing fishermen only merit the same weight in their knowledge of fishing as Tory MP.

You are Andrea Leadsom. On Newsnight. Explaining to the former head of the WTO why he is wrong about how the WTO works.
    No, I'm not saying that, I am sure that the Seafood Scotland representative knows a lot about fishing (the head of Scotland Food & Drink I wouldn't be as sure of at all - his knowledge will be far less specialised, and the Tory MSP's could well be as knowledgable).

What I am saying has nothing to do with knowledge, it has to do with using their statements and their positions as 'industry representatives' to push a political agenda. You've dismissed the opinons of the Tory MSP's as political, but you think we should take the opinions of Scottish Government appointees with clear financial links to the EU as gospel.

Of course, you did know that, you just thought it was cute to appear stupid. Which it wasn't.
    Given that they are presenting evidence with figures to go along their statements why isn't it gospel?
    RT frequently provide figures to back up their stories, but you don't treat anything printed there as gospel, you treat it as propaganda from the mouthpiece of Putin. We take the figures and evidence that says what you want it to say.

By the way, I'm not denying that transitioning from the EU to no EU has caused kinks for exporters, and that these kinks are not particularly difficult for exporters of freshly caught fish. There are valid questions to be asked to both the UK and Scottish Governments about why preparations were not better, given that an exit from the single market and customs union was baked in regardless of the deal or no deal outcomes. However, we are not asking those tough questions when it all becomes an agenda-driven rant about Brexit.

Why couldn't they prepare for something that doesn't work? Perhaps they should have paid more attention to the official UK government Border Operating Plan manual. Which says virtually nothing about the processes on the EU side of the border which sinks our exports.

That these EU process for 3rd countries have been in place for a long time, and that the UK government explicitly insisted that we become a 3rd country makes it clear the blame is on the Scottish government and their allegedly paid lackeys.
    It just 'doesn't work' eh - odd then how the EU manages to be a net importer of fish (from outside the EU for avoidance of doubt), importing around 26 billion euros worth a year: https://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/5-external-trade_en

Strange how the impenetrable European single market that we clearly never should have left doesn't seem to trouble fishermen in Vietnam, India or America. They just seem to manage.
    Are you saying that the EU imports fresh fish from Vietnam?
    Not sure what that particular nugget has to do with anything. Fresh fish are imported from outside the single market and customs union - this is covered in the introduction:

The EU is a net importer of fisheries and aquaculture products, mostly frozen, fresh and chilled. Spain, Denmark, Sweden and the Netherlands are the leading importing Member States.
    May I suggest you go back to Rochdale's question and think about your answer.

Live exports have far tighter restrictions (but far higher market prices) than frozen products.

The exports you are comparing us to are both very different and far more of a bulk none premium product.
    May I suggest his question was a pathetic attempt to fix on something in my response that he found somewhat whimsical, to cover up the fact that his entire argument, that you can't export fish into the EU from outside it, is now nothing more than a smouldering crater.

It is clear that you *can* export fish into the EU.
    It is clear that several countries make a lot of money from doing so.
    It is clear that this includes fresh fish, as well as crustaceans and molluscs - that information is also provided in the information I posted.

Since it is clearly not impossible, or even unprofitable, to sell fish to the EU, from countries further afield than the UK, it then becomes quite clear that these are administrative problems that can be worked on, some being solved in days, some in weeks, a few in months. Unfortunately that doesn't help the hand-flapping argument of the Scottish Government and associated hangers on that it's all an insoluble feature of not being in the EU.
    There is no logical through road from "The EU is a net importer of fisheries and aquaculture products, mostly frozen, fresh and chilled" to "It is clear that you *can* export fish into the EU. It is clear that several countries make a lot of money from doing so." What proportion is fresh, from which countries, and how much money is involved?
    Supplementary detail is always useful, but as it goes, there absolutely is a logical connection between those two points.

We are being told the additional requirements under our current trade deal (which don't forget means no tariffs on fish exports) are not teething problems, but an insurmountable barrier to exporting fish into the EU. That is a position that is utterly insupportable by actual facts.
    FRESH fish. From outside the EEA not just the EU. Importing fresh fish from Norway into the UK - what your link shows - is not importing fresh fish from a 3rd country into the EU.

You hadn't actually read the report when you posted it, had you?
    I regret spending far too much of today arguing with someone who is clearly in a negative tailspin, possibly not just with the fact that we've left the EU, and who doesn't want to be different. For me, I don't see how it can be satisfying to be spewing my rage out on PB like a human case of gastroenteritis, but if it works for you, that's fine - it takes two to tango and I should have left you to it. I didn't get to the level of calling anyone a halfwit, but it was worryingly tempting. Thank you for showing me how *not* to spend the better part of a day - that has been of value.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

For laughs, I'd like to see James Kelly. But Sarwar is most likely.

Any remaining Tankies in ScotLab will then depart, as they will think he's a Tory.
    Not necessarily, Labour got 24% in Scotland in 2015 under Jim Murphy on a more centrist platform but just 18% in 2019 under Leonard on a Corbynite platform.

While that may not win them many if any extra constituency seats it could win them more seats on the list than they were heading for
    It's no reflection on the vote share they're likely to achieve, more a comment on the remaining Slab activists.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

felix said:

MaxPB said:

Portugal is really bad too. Similar soaring rate to Ireland, so maybe Kentish Covid is doing its thing there, too. Total lockdown for 2 months from tomorrow.

Dental question for Pb-ers. My teeth are in a right old state. Haven’t been cleaned for a year. Just forgot, when I had a chance in the summer.

If I leave it much longer I’ll get gum problems. And dentists are open so I could get an appointment. Worth the risk?
    Just get a toothbrush and clean them yourself.
    My consumption of strong coffee and red wine means they need a pro
    Black tea is I am sure doing bad things to mine. I can't remember the last time I went to the dentist to be honest, probably at least 3 years ago. British people are meant to have horrible teeth.
    Pristine pearlers are great in a young person but with someone of advanced years they can look odd.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

France seems to have been relying on Sanofi, which so far hasn't delivered.
  • Options

It hasn't been given a silly name yet?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

Team mutant:
    UK
    South Africa
    Brazil

Team AZN vaccine trials:
    UK
    South Africa
    Brazil

Not an expert but...

Strikes me as one of those cases of where you look for mutants, you find them.

They’re happening everywhere all the time.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It hasn't been given a silly name yet?
    Covidcabana.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

Have we seen this yet

https://twitter.com/fishingforleave/status/1347450935472254977

Yes we voted for leave and granted you are not involved in fishing but it's remain's fault that we have problem exporting fish.

I presume these are the wrong sort of fishermen so we shouldn't listen to them.
    Have you read the article?
    1. The "SNP hindering fishing" accusation is from the Tories
    2. The fisherman quoted in the article says "“I’m questioning whether to carry on”
    3. The CEO of Seafood Scotland is quoted saying "“The last 48 hours has really delivered what was expected – new bureaucratic non-tariff barriers, and no one body with the tools to be able to fix the situation."
    4. The CEO of Scotland Food and Drink is quoted saying "“We have warned for months about the lack of preparation time for everyone involved and these problems sadly come as little surprise"

Your "wrong sort of fishermen" comment implies the article has fishing folk attacking the Scottish government. They are not. Thats the Tories. The industry is saying "we warned for months. This was expected. Is it worth carrying on"

You were saying...?
    Seafood Scotland is an industry body that has been funded by the EU, and The Scottish Government:
    https://www.fishfarmingexpert.com/article/eu-cash-boost-for-seafood-scotland/
    https://fishingnews.co.uk/news/ssa-seafish-must-change/

So it's hardly surprising that the woman quoted launches into a rant about Brexit, whilst also being at pains to give a long and detailed explanation as to why checks by the Scottish agency concerned are taking so long, which absolves them of all blame.

Scotland Food and Drink is another quango funded by the Scottish Government.

These criticisms are no more valid than the opposing ones of the Scottish Tories - and in fact it's far more insidious to use quasi-independent public bodies to parrot your lines. The fact that they are doing this seems to be made quite clear by the lack of Scottish Government comment - they didn't need to.
    Right. So industry bodies representing fishermen only merit the same weight in their knowledge of fishing as Tory MP.

You are Andrea Leadsom. On Newsnight. Explaining to the former head of the WTO why he is wrong about how the WTO works.
    No, I'm not saying that, I am sure that the Seafood Scotland representative knows a lot about fishing (the head of Scotland Food & Drink I wouldn't be as sure of at all - his knowledge will be far less specialised, and the Tory MSP's could well be as knowledgable).

What I am saying has nothing to do with knowledge, it has to do with using their statements and their positions as 'industry representatives' to push a political agenda. You've dismissed the opinons of the Tory MSP's as political, but you think we should take the opinions of Scottish Government appointees with clear financial links to the EU as gospel.

Of course, you did know that, you just thought it was cute to appear stupid. Which it wasn't.
    Given that they are presenting evidence with figures to go along their statements why isn't it gospel?
    RT frequently provide figures to back up their stories, but you don't treat anything printed there as gospel, you treat it as propaganda from the mouthpiece of Putin. We take the figures and evidence that says what you want it to say.

By the way, I'm not denying that transitioning from the EU to no EU has caused kinks for exporters, and that these kinks are not particularly difficult for exporters of freshly caught fish. There are valid questions to be asked to both the UK and Scottish Governments about why preparations were not better, given that an exit from the single market and customs union was baked in regardless of the deal or no deal outcomes. However, we are not asking those tough questions when it all becomes an agenda-driven rant about Brexit.

Why couldn't they prepare for something that doesn't work? Perhaps they should have paid more attention to the official UK government Border Operating Plan manual. Which says virtually nothing about the processes on the EU side of the border which sinks our exports.

That these EU process for 3rd countries have been in place for a long time, and that the UK government explicitly insisted that we become a 3rd country makes it clear the blame is on the Scottish government and their allegedly paid lackeys.
    It just 'doesn't work' eh - odd then how the EU manages to be a net importer of fish (from outside the EU for avoidance of doubt), importing around 26 billion euros worth a year: https://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/5-external-trade_en

Strange how the impenetrable European single market that we clearly never should have left doesn't seem to trouble fishermen in Vietnam, India or America. They just seem to manage.
    Are you saying that the EU imports fresh fish from Vietnam?
    Not sure what that particular nugget has to do with anything. Fresh fish are imported from outside the single market and customs union - this is covered in the introduction:

The EU is a net importer of fisheries and aquaculture products, mostly frozen, fresh and chilled. Spain, Denmark, Sweden and the Netherlands are the leading importing Member States.
    The thing about frozen fish is that its frozen. If the refrigerated trailer it's packed in loses an extra few days queuing for customs there's no harm to the product. So its not an issue for frozen imports from Vietnam.

Fresh fish? That has to be shipped quickly. Which makes its market local. Which makes your map of the globe only to demonstrate your ignorance of the topic on which you are posting.

It is Fresh Fish that is rotting. Not frozen. "It doesn't work eh" because you can't ship fresh fish from fucking Vietnam or America or wherever. Eh. So the process doesn't work for these other countries, eh, because it doesn't.

You are like Philip. Clueless. But desperate to defend the government. So post guff.
    READ THE QUOTE AGAIN.

READ THE WORD IN BOLD.
    Tell me which countries export fresh (the word in bold) fish to the EU...

Hint it's not Vietnam or the USA...
    Its going to be Norway. Or Iceland. In the EEA. Unlike the UK.
    Norway aren't in the customs union though so what is fundamentally different?
    SPS
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,287
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes, I understand that Marcus had a word with Johnson today. Told him the score.
    He should be doing something more useful, like persuading him that the EPL season should really end right now and the current leaders be given the Championship. Given his success in getting what he wants every other time I would be genuinely hopeful.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    That's Baroness Davidson to you.
This discussion has been closed.