Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Some extraordinary “storming the Capitol” polling from YouGov US – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2021
    The 25th amendment looks unlikely to me, and it looks like America might face an uneasy situation where Trump is eased away, unpunished and scot-free for the sake both of overall national stability and Republican expediency, into silence for the couple of weeks left.
  • RobD said:

She's married to Mitch McConnell, if he really is urging the 25th Amendment to be enacted surely he'd urge his wife to stay put and vote to remove Trump and empower Mike Pence.
    The question was about her name. She refers to herself as Chao, not McConnell, so I was wondering why you chose to use her husband's name.

I mean, if your going to set you'reself up as some kind of language police, that probably needs explaining.
    Emphasising she's McConnell's wife, which seems relevant here?
    Mitch Chao anyone?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,732

She's married to Mitch McConnell, if he really is urging the 25th Amendment to be enacted surely he'd urge his wife to stay put and vote to remove Trump and empower Mike Pence.
    What's interesting is that the 25th requires a majority of the cabinet. There's no permanent Director of Homeland Security, and now no Transport Sec - does that reduce the majority required?
    I asked that question yesterday. So far no answer. But if it were to be invoked, she would be voting ‘yes.’ You don’t win a marginal vote by booting your own supporters out. Just ask Trump after the Georgia fiasco.
  • She's married to Mitch McConnell, if he really is urging the 25th Amendment to be enacted surely he'd urge his wife to stay put and vote to remove Trump and empower Mike Pence.
    The question was about her name. She refers to herself as Chao, not McConnell, so I was wondering why you chose to use her husband's name.

I mean, if your going to set you'reself up as some kind of language police, that probably needs explaining.
    A few weeks ago DavidL wasn't aware that she was married to Mitch McConnell, so given that and the stories doing the rounds I thought it might be wise to illuminate the fact that she's not just Mrs Chao but Mrs McConnell as well.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1347228818440933376
  • Joe's on his feet - CNN now.
  • blairfblairf Posts: 98
    TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

struck by brigadier's supermarket chain analogy as it is my area. mmm. so a super will have 40,000 SKU (lines) and the vaccine effort has er two. If gov did want efficient distribution they would have used the big 6 not the bloody army.

How many SKUs do you think Army logistics has?
    off the top of my head i would guess about 10,000. your point being?
    my point (in case you were wondering) is that if you want an infrastructure that can get XXX stuff to the UK general pop under YYY conditions (temp, time, distance) would you use the army or the supers. one set do it for a living 24/7 365 the other not so much
    You seemed to be impugning in your comment the Army's ability to do logistics and implying that the Supermarkets would be better. Or did I get you wrong?
    military logisticians are some of the best in the world. but they aren't good at what they are being asked to do. get lots of stuff to everyone really quickly. not military. that is what supers do. the whole brigadier in a uniform schtick is bullshit straight from the nudge unit.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited January 2021

RobD said:

Mitch Chao anyone?
    He's either Cocaine Mitch or Senate Minority Leader McConnell.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited January 2021
    Carnyx said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

struck by brigadier's supermarket chain analogy as it is my area. mmm. so a super will have 40,000 SKU (lines) and the vaccine effort has er two. If gov did want efficient distribution they would have used the big 6 not the bloody army.

my point (in case you were wondering) is that if you want an infrastructure that can get XXX stuff to the UK general pop under YYY conditions (temp, time, distance) would you use the army or the supers. one set do it for a living 24/7 365 the other not so much
    You seemed to be impugning in your comment the Army's ability to do logistics and implying that the Supermarkets would be better. Or did I get you wrong?
    Nothing like a 30mm Rarden cannon on a CVR(T) to encourage the other motorists to get out of the way. Or are they worried about hijacking?
    It is interesting if you ask US military personnel what they think are the greatest organizational strengths of the US Armed Forces. You might have thunk it would be the ability to destroy targets, or control land. But the two strengths top brass emphasize are logistics and training.

When the US military got involved in the West Africa ebola response, it was not to provide security, or medical expertise and resources, but to provide the logistics backbone to the international effort.
  • This 25thA stuff is a bit of a stretch. It may be possible, but difficult and pulling it together with only 13 days left in the Presidency really wouldn't be worth powder and shot. Likewise an impeachent, and I'm sure either action would only inflame the situation.

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

military logisticians are some of the best in the world. but they aren't good at what they are being asked to do. get lots of stuff to everyone really quickly. not military. that is what supers do. the whole brigadier in a uniform schtick is bullshit straight from the nudge unit.
    Aren't the supermarkets busy stocking, you know, supermarkets? Army logistics is there for situations exactly like these.
  • Apparently Chao's resignation is effective from Monday - that's long enough to sign a few things.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,717
    RobD said:

RobD said:

That's a very stupid tweet by d'ancona for a number of reasons.
    Lots of the mass vaccs sites dont start till Monday

Will see a real ramping up from then hopefully
    I mean the tweet is just factually wrong. It's 1.3m up to the 3rd, before any AZN vaccine was administered.
    Daily figures from Monday too.

As someone not usually on the side of the current administration I think so far we are doing well on vaccines
    And I think with a breakdown by demographic, which should be interesting to see.
    I reckon over 80s will be less than half of totals vaccinated. NHS staff running at about same rate with 10% fitting in neither category
  • She's married to Mitch McConnell, if he really is urging the 25th Amendment to be enacted surely he'd urge his wife to stay put and vote to remove Trump and empower Mike Pence.

A few weeks ago DavidL wasn't aware that she was married to Mitch McConnell, so given that and the stories doing the rounds I thought it might be wise to illuminate the fact that she's not just Mrs Chao but Mrs McConnell as well.

It was right there in the tweet, her name and her husband's.
    Still, politicalbetting character limits. Or something.
  • blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

Hmm, although IANAE, I rather doubt that is right. Yes, of course supermarkets are incredibly efficient at distribution, but it's an efficiency which derives from carefully-planned networks and computer systems which have been built up over long periods and don't change very fast; they don't suddenly find themselves adding a couple of thousand stores to their networks in a week. Military logistics may well be a better match, because they are more geared up to do things quickly in rapidly-changing circumstances.

Also they are available. Supermarkets don't have large numbers of spare staff, facilities and trucks.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Biden laying out the case against Trump’s entire presidency at live press conference.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Joe's on his feet - CNN now.

Exotic?
  • "Hello, is that Rod Crosby? I hear you're good with numbers, we have a 'they've got a number of votes more than us' problem here."

https://twitter.com/kreuzberged/status/1347238751697854464?s=20

You seem extremely worked up by this? It was mentioned for emphasis, nothing more.
  • FossFoss Posts: 694

RobD said:

RobD said:

I mean the tweet is just factually wrong. It's 1.3m up to the 3rd, before any AZN vaccine was administered.

As someone not usually on the side of the current administration I think so far we are doing well on vaccines
    And I think with a breakdown by demographic, which should be interesting to see.
    I reckon over 80s will be less than half of totals vaccinated. NHS staff running at about same rate with 10% fitting in neither category
    There’s also the none NHS care home staff.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

The 25th amendment looks unlikely to me, and it looks like America might face an uneasy situation where Trump is eased away, unpunished and scot-free for the sake both of overall national stability and Republican expediency, into silence for the couple of weeks left.

Cabinet members seem to be resigning rather than turning to the 25th. Impeachment seems unlikely given the numbers of Republicans who would be willing to do everything they could to frustrate and impede the process.

That leaves prosecuting him for it after he has left office.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    RobD said:

Naughty Rob being told off for being old fashioned and expecting her to take her husband's name. Given he is ancient you would hardly think she would not have, unless he has married a young thing recently.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

Any of the remaining PB Trumptons... @contrarian @MrEd @Luckyguy1983 @Dura_Ace

Still backing your man?

The events of last night haven't changed my opinion about Trump, or the situation in the USA, from what they were. Which wasn't a backing of Trump, but also wasn't a backing of his opponents, or the feeling of a pressing need for him to be removed from the Presidency.

I didn't watch the events as they unfolded (I was watching a French crime thriller on catch up) - I just dipped into PB for updates. Perhaps that's enabled me to take a slightly less impassioned view of what happened.
    You supported Trump’s reelection. Do you still wish he had won?
  • Forget the supermarkets and the army, we should get Amazon involved with the vaccine rollout.

Everybody would be vaccinated by a week on Saturday whilst Prime members would be vaccinated by Wednesday.
  • blairfblairf Posts: 98
    RobD said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

Aren't the supermarkets busy stocking, you know, supermarkets? Army logistics is there for situations exactly like these.
    they are (and thank god they are or you would be starving). and army logistics is to get fighty killy stuff to the front line. the other bits are incidental. feeding an army vs feeding a nation. vaccinate a nation vs vaccinate an army.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited January 2021

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,606
    edited January 2021

RobD said:

RobD said:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-vaccinations/

Data for England ONLY

as of 27th December -

786,000 total vaccinations
    524,439 over 80s

as of 3rd Jan

1,112,866 total vaccinations
    661,224 over 80

It is of interest to note that the NHS employs 416,876 doctors and nurses (according to the latest figures I could find)
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Naughty Rob being told off for being old fashioned and expecting her to take her husband's name. Given he is ancient you would hardly think she would not have, unless he has married a young thing recently.
    I wasn't being told off for anything, sir. :innocent:
    RobD said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

Yes get them off their fat butts and doing something constructive.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited January 2021
    ok - I think I get where people are coming from. The 25th takes a while due as the "other body" law being vetoed by the pres after 10 days.
    Also needs 2/3rds of both houses on the return leg, impeachment is just 2/3rds of the senate - once.
  • TimT said:

Carnyx said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

Nothing like a 30mm Rarden cannon on a CVR(T) to encourage the other motorists to get out of the way. Or are they worried about hijacking?
    It is interesting if you ask US military personnel what they think are the greatest organizational strengths of the US Armed Forces. You might have thunk it would be the ability to destroy targets, or control land. But the two strengths top brass emphasize are logistics and training.

When the US military got involved in the West Africa ebola response, it was not to provide security, or medical expertise and resources, but to provide the logistics backbone to the international effort.
    I think the British military has a similar reputation. One of the illuminating little asides in Blair's autobiography concerned his admiration for their can-do attitude and ability to deliver results.

Definitely well above Grayling levels I would say.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    HYUFD said:

This polling shows Trumpism has got hold of the GOP for at least a decade, Republican voters narrowly support the actions last night and overwhelmingly think Trump should not be impeached in total contrast to the rest of the US electorate.

Also this is only the first presidential election defeat post Trump for the GOP, it took Labour 4 general election defeats to elect a centrist leadership candidate post Blair.

Even if Trump does not run again in 2024 then another Trumpite like Cruz or Hawley or his son will run again and VP Pence by condemning the protestors and allowing Biden's confirmation last night will probably end up being the moderate candidate for the GOP nomination next time so populist and rightwing has the GOP core base now become.

Many voters who would comfortably have defined themselves as Republican in the Reagan and Bush era now clearly define themselves as Independents too, so the GOP base left is more conservative and more populist

Registered Voters are opposed 71-21 suggesting the Republican pro-Trump base is diminishing in the light of yesterday's events.

The question, if the Trump base still controls the GOP in 2024, is how big they will lose to the Democrats - a 60-40 defeat might well lead to the end of the Trump base in its current form.

Another possibility is the GOP will schism as it did before 1912 with the Trump faction emulating Theodore Roosevelt - that ended well for the Democrats but the Republicans won again eight years later and were in for twelve years after.
  • E-commerce platform Shopify removes Trump merchandise stores
  • Forget the supermarkets and the army, we should get Amazon involved with the vaccine rollout.

Everybody would be vaccinated by a week on Saturday whilst Prime members would be vaccinated by Wednesday.

Yes but we'd all be bombarded with adverts for other vaccines: 'Recommended for you: two for one offer on Yellow Fever and Meningitis..'
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I wasn't being told off for anything, sir. :innocent:
    Norah Batty was indeed chastising you Rob and continuing to do so.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,123
    TimT said:

Carnyx said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

I can well believe it. (I was just wodnering a little if security was an added issue.) At school I did my maths and physics lessons sitting beside a very intelligent chap who ended up as a senior officer in the Royal Engineers. Many years later, in the organization where I was working, there turned up (in the infrastructure support dept) one of the aforesaid's Sapper senior NCOs on the latter's exit from the Army. He was healthily respected for his efficiency - I remember his instant response when some contrtactors started smashing windows putwards, above the public walking past below , including me, and I went to fetch someone to control the potential disaster. He was very much missed when he moved on.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Any doubt raised about the fact Lawrence Fox is still a Trump supporter last night can now be erased

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1347256100681379841?s=20
  • Pulpstar said:

ok - I think I get where people are coming from. The 25th takes a while due as the "other body" law being vetoed by the pres after 10 days.
    Also needs 2/3rds of both houses on the return leg, impeachment is just 2/3rds of the senate - once.

My guess is that it is being openly discussed as a warning to Donald not to push his luck any further. I'm sure they really would do it if pushed and he knows that. He won't want to take any chances until his pardon is signed so the warning should suffice.
  • RobD said:

You seem extremely worked up by this? It was mentioned for emphasis, nothing more.
    I wouldn't say worked up.
    I wouldn't have mentioned it at all had it not been for the fact that TSE was at the same time saying that people should be more careful when they post.

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

Hmm, although IANAE, I rather doubt that is right. Yes, of course supermarkets are incredibly efficient at distribution, but it's an efficiency which derives from carefully-planned networks and computer systems which have been built up over long periods and don't change very fast; they don't suddenly find themselves adding a couple of thousand stores to their networks in a week. Military logistics may well be a better match, because they are more geared up to do things quickly in rapidly-changing circumstances.

Also they are available. Supermarkets don't have large numbers of spare staff, facilities and trucks.
    On the last point, I do hope so - not too many campaigns going on at the moment, are there?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

"Hello, is that Rod Crosby? I hear you're good with numbers, we have a 'they've got a number of votes more than us' problem here."

What the actual fuck?

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Forget the supermarkets and the army, we should get Amazon involved with the vaccine rollout.

Tangentially, Zulu is free on Amazon Prime video atm. Jolly good it is too.
    blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

If that's your argument, I'd say FedEx is a better model than the supermarkets

RobD said:

I wouldn't say worked up.
    I wouldn't have mentioned it at all had it not been for the fact that TSE was at the same time saying that people should be more careful when they post.
    Who says he wasn't being careful when posting that? It was clearly deliberately done for emphasis.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited January 2021
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

This polling shows Trumpism has got hold of the GOP for at least a decade, Republican voters narrowly support the actions last night and overwhelmingly think Trump should not be impeached in total contrast to the rest of the US electorate.

Also this is only the first presidential election defeat post Trump for the GOP, it took Labour 4 general election defeats to elect a centrist leadership candidate post Blair.

Even if Trump does not run again in 2024 then another Trumpite like Cruz or Hawley or his son will run again and VP Pence by condemning the protestors and allowing Biden's confirmation last night will probably end up being the moderate candidate for the GOP nomination next time so populist and rightwing has the GOP core base now become.

Many voters who would comfortably have defined themselves as Republican in the Reagan and Bush era now clearly define themselves as Independents too, so the GOP base left is more conservative and more populist

Registered Voters are opposed 71-21 suggesting the Republican pro-Trump base is diminishing in the light of yesterday's events.

The question, if the Trump base still controls the GOP in 2024, is how big they will lose to the Democrats - a 60-40 defeat might well lead to the end of the Trump base in its current form.

Another possibility is the GOP will schism as it did before 1912 with the Trump faction emulating Theodore Roosevelt - that ended well for the Democrats but the Republicans won again eight years later and were in for twelve years after.
    It would likely take a landslide defeat for a Trumpite in 2024 a la that for Corbyn Labour in 2019 for the GOP to pick a centrist candidate the next time.

Theodore Roosevelt in 1912 though ran as a Progressive candidate not on a ticket from the populist right like Trump
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

Still backing your man?

Ive decided to back him now, seems like fun
    Wearing your work ID to a riot? Jeez they are cretins.
    IshmaelZ said:

Forget the supermarkets and the army, we should get Amazon involved with the vaccine rollout.

Tangentially, Zulu is free on Amazon Prime video atm. Jolly good it is too.
    Brisk application of pointy things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdwB1lJ4AIw
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Losing his job may be the least of his worries soon.
  • Floater said:

"Hello, is that Rod Crosby? I hear you're good with numbers, we have a 'they've got a number of votes more than us' problem here."

What the actual fuck?

Very fine people on both sides.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

RobD said:

Indeed.

I thought the target was a tall order, but if he comes close it really doesn't matter, Johnson has found his Falklands moment. Moving the narrative to vaccines has been political genius. Allegra and Nut Nuts (they are head and shoulders better than Cummings) have taken the agenda from the media and back to Johnson. No one ( media or public, certainly those without a vested interest) cares about hospitalisation numbers and deaths anymore, it is all about vaccine provision. It really is very, very clever stuff.
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    An update to the reported case graphs, with London as special guest, because that's where we'll first see whether the lockdown is enough to contain the new strain.

Looking hopeful, but as @Malmesbury points out, the flattening off could turn out to be a mirage due to delayed testing after Christmas, which caused a drop before exaggerated growth.

• RobD said:

In a way its very lucky they were unorganised cretins...organized, trained and ruthless and we could have been looking at Die Hard does Government Coup.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Floater said:

What the actual fuck?

Mail says this lovely fellah is still unidentified and FBI keen to get information.

Just in case anyone on here knows his cousin or something.
  • RobD said:

That face when you're off to do a coup on your lunch break.
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Correct. Trumpism will wither on the vine with Trumpton himself. After yesterday, the coalition is done. Will become like the Palinistas, an irrelevance. I expect Romney and the Lincoln Project to slowly but surely take control of the party.
  • TimT said:

Carnyx said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

That reminds me of the old line: amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

RobD said:

In a way its very lucky they were unorganised cretins...organized, trained and ruthless and we could have been looking at Die Hard does Government Coup.
    Yeah, had there been actual pros in that crowd things could have been very different and very ugly.

RobD said:

That face when you're off to do a coup on your lunch break.
    Really? What sort of school do you work in AM?!!
    blairf said:

RobD said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

they are (and thank god they are or you would be starving). and army logistics is to get fighty killy stuff to the front line. the other bits are incidental. feeding an army vs feeding a nation. vaccinate a nation vs vaccinate an army.
    OK, what percentage of Army logistics do you think are fighty killy stuff vs food, water, fuel, living accommodations and medicine? Your assumptions appear to be a little off to me.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2021

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Correct. Trumpism will wither on the vine with Trumpton himself. After yesterday, the coalition is done. Will become like the Palinistas, an irrelevance. I expect Romney and the Lincoln Project to slowly but surely take control of the party.
    I'm not sure I agree there. The underlying social and economic reasons, and ethnic and cultural conflicts made the most of to redirect attention away from them, inherent in rightwing radical populism, won't go away so easily as that.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042

Still backing your man?

The events of last night haven't changed my opinion about Trump, or the situation in the USA, from what they were. Which wasn't a backing of Trump, but also wasn't a backing of his opponents, or the feeling of a pressing need for him to be removed from the Presidency.

I didn't watch the events as they unfolded (I was watching a French crime thriller on catch up) - I just dipped into PB for updates. Perhaps that's enabled me to take a slightly less impassioned view of what happened.
    You supported Trump’s reelection. Do you still wish he had won?
    I think it's a stretch to say I supported Trump's reelection - I said I could understand and sympathise with Americans who wanted to see him go, but I saw advantages and disadvantages to both candidates.

I would never wish Trump had won, even if I had supported him - what a waste of my time and energy, to regret and complain about something outside of my control. I'm looking forward to a great 2021 regardless of who sits in the White House.

Looking back, I am thankful that Trump became the President in preference to Hillary Clinton because it resulted in a far less aggressive foreign policy - something I think we've all benefited from.

Still backing your man?

You’ve always backed him!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,606
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Yeah, had there been actual pros in that crowd things could have been very different and very ugly.
    The woman who was shot was Air Force police, x years of service, apparently.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited January 2021
    Republic of Ireland:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1347259867573215233?s=20

That's doubling roughly every 5 days
  • RobD said:

We were similarly lucky here in March 2017, had Michael Fallon's bodyguards not been in the area Khalid Masood would have been a few hundred metres away from hundreds of unarmed MPs.

Still backing your man?

You’ve always backed him!
    What even when he was a Democrat ?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    A note on the 25th, absent any other body to decide, which as has been noted can be enacted by Congress but never has been, it's not the Cabinet (which has no real formal existence in law) that decides but "the principal officers of the executive departments", i.e. the fourteen Secretaries of the Departments plus the Attorney-General as principal officer of the Department of Justice. It's unclear if acting Secretaries (three or four depending on whether an acting replacement for Elaine Chao has been appointed yet) count.

Even if Congress were to immediately legislate for some other body to make the decision, as allowed by the 25th Amendment, even with veto-proof majorities in both houses, Trump can sit on it until day before the Inauguration as he has ten days, not including Sundays, to decide whether to sign or veto a Bill while Congress is in session.
  • Interesting thread from Peter Foster of the FT. An increasing list of businesses and business sectors that simply don't work under the new arrangements. Having spent yonks pointing to the reality of how things work vs government rhetoric they had assumed that some common sense would now be applied.

Nope. This is the deal. And its going to drive a lot of business abroad to stay in the EEA.
    https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1347244528592433153

RobD said:

RobD said:

The woman who was shot was Air Force police, x years of service, apparently.
    By pro I mean having an intent to kill people in congress. Wanted to avoid saying "actual terrorists".
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,334
    Gaussian said:

An update to the reported case graphs, with London as special guest, because that's where we'll first see whether the lockdown is enough to contain the new strain.

Looking hopeful, but as @Malmesbury points out, the flattening off could turn out to be a mirage due to delayed testing after Christmas, which caused a drop before exaggerated growth.

I think the early lockdown of Wales by Drakeford seems to be showing results, but early days....
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777

Text from a friend.

It's only a coup if it's from the coup d'état region of France otherwise it's sparkling white terrorism.

It's only a coup if it's successful. This wasn't. More of a coop. Where the chickens are coming home to roost.
    Scott_xP said:
    Brand new? Slightly used more like.
    time to leave the EU and get some vaccine
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Text from a friend.

It's only a coup if it's from the coup d'état region of France otherwise it's sparkling white terrorism.

It was a coup de twat.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    RobD said:

The media's myopic focus on a single number is returning?
    Tbf, at least this number actually means something, testing numbers meant and still mean nothing because there's no follow up with isolation measures.

Amazon sent me my latest order by Royal Mail today, arriving two days late (Amazon said Tuesday!).
    stjohn said:

Text from a friend.

It's only a coup if it's successful. This wasn't. More of a coop. Where the chickens are coming home to roost.
    No it isn’t. You can have a failed or attempted coup - Turkey springs to mind. Or Spain 1981 for that matter.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The most likely standard bearer will either be one of the Trump loyalist Senators - Cruz or Hawley - or Don Trump Jr. It isn't going to be a moderate.
  • ydoethur said:

A sign they don’t have the numbers for the 25th?
    A sign they *won't* have the numbers if members take the coward's way out and resign.
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

The media's myopic focus on a single number is returning?
    Tbf, at least this number actually means something, testing numbers meant and still mean nothing because there's no follow up with isolation measures.
    Up to a point, it does matter who is being vaccinated.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Interesting thread from Peter Foster of the FT. An increasing list of businesses and business sectors that simply don't work under the new arrangements. Having spent yonks pointing to the reality of how things work vs government rhetoric they had assumed that some common sense would now be applied.

Nope. This is the deal. And its going to drive a lot of business abroad to stay in the EEA.

You are so 2020, it doesn't matter. We have an impressive vaccine roll out programme underway now.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

He seems to have missed that this week is apparently going twice as fast as last week.

Nothing ever *starts* at rate x - it always builds up.
    Journalists and maths.....about as good as government and tech.
    The amazing thing is that the journalists appear to be utterly incapable of learning these things.

Most of us on here can research or pick up new concepts that come up in conversation, but the hacks of the Lobby haven’t learned anything remotely technical in the past year - despite it being the single biggest story of their entire careers.
    I think it was by early/Mid April most of us on here had realised there was a weekend/bank holiday effect on the reporting figures.

Some journalists still haven't grasped that.
    They still haven’t grasped it, despite the numbers being up and down like a whore’s drawers for the past couple of weeks.

Or do they think it was pure co-incidence that 25th and 26th December produced the lowest number of new cases in months, and 28th and 29th the highest?
    I have to say Ed Conway early on was utter shit, more recently he has been much better..perhaps he has been reading PB as he now likes to talk about things like positivity rates and date of test.

https://youtu.be/SgBU2751kn0
    His Twitter stuff in the Autumn when he started posting a 7-day moving average chart of Sweden without pointing out it was missing the most recent 3 days of data is an impeachable offence.

Interesting thread from Peter Foster of the FT. An increasing list of businesses and business sectors that simply don't work under the new arrangements. Having spent yonks pointing to the reality of how things work vs government rhetoric they had assumed that some common sense would now be applied.

right

so now were not all eating grass the, world hasnt fallen apart and we're not at war with Europe the FT have decided to keep sulking and print yet more bollocks

ignore
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

I am told (possibly reliably) that the back reads "staff member".
  • Republic of Ireland:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1347259867573215233?s=20

That's doubling roughly every 5 days

I imagine the RoI health care system can't cope with that sort of rate of increase for very long.
  • I, for one, was shocked by this turn of events

https://twitter.com/toddzwillich/status/1347262167100366854
  • TimT said:

blairf said:

RobD said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

blairf said:

TimT said:

blairf said:

OK, what percentage of Army logistics do you think are fighty killy stuff vs food, water, fuel, living accommodations and medicine? Your assumptions appear to be a little off to me.
    There is a story which I have heard, but not been able to confirm, that during WWII the British, worried by German bombing of some warehouses in London bought all the tea that year to supply the troops. By "all the tea" I mean the entire world supply.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Betfair have paid out on my Sportsbook 3/1 (boosted) bets on Jon Ossoff. I pushed the tip hard on here and I hope those who took it up are enjoying the win.

I'm afraid that this won't be the last time you see me mention his name on here :smiley::wink: He's a very good debater and I can see him rising far and fast.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

RobD said:

Mitch Chao anyone?
    He's either Cocaine Mitch or Senate Minority Leader McConnell.
    I just call him c**t for short.
  • If you were Trump and the Family, you have to now be finalising your thinking about where to go once you leave office.

As the chance of arrest is increasing from a number of fronts, perhaps the speculated flounce to Turnberry is a sane option. If the Americans want him back they'd have to secure his extradition - would they push it that far and would a UK court grant it?
    edited January 2021

Text from a friend.

It was a coup de twat.
    Storming of the bad steal, coup de twat...you’ve got this, Mr Glenn.

I, for one, was shocked by this turn of events

https://twitter.com/toddzwillich/status/1347262167100366854

Does that make him the first ever person in Washington DC to be held responsible for abject failure and gross incompetence?
This discussion has been closed.