Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

With 98% of the votes counted the Dems looks set to gain both Georgia US Senate seats – politicalbet

Comments

• Options
    kinabalu said:

I know it is an evergreen sentiment but Williamson is utterly useless.

Just following orders, though, don't you think?
    His presentational and messaging skills are so dire - thanks teachers and staff in education, then immediately uses Ofsted as a threat. Avoids any question about vaccinations, even when raised by Tory MPs e.g. Robert Halfon.
  • Options
    Looks like we're going to have give NHS workers and carers the clap.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1346817144898654210
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

As would attacking the courts and judicial independence, which China is going to do next in HK.

TBH I'm surprised that the original settlement has lasted as long as it has. But China under Xi Jinping is a whole new level of tyranny, not just in Hong Kong of course.

Quite how the Chinese government thinks that it can retain Hong Kong's position as a major financial centre and trading hub whilst arbitrarily arresting people, including foreigners, is a complete mystery. They seem to be spectacularly dumb.
    They don't care. They think they are now so strong, people will do business with them anyway. And they reckon lots of business that leaves Hong Kong will move to Shanghai, to please the government. And they are probably right.

Remember, Beijing doesn't LIKE Hong Kong or Hong Kongers

Long term, Shanghai and Singapore will dominate Asian finance etc. HK has a future of sad slow decline.
    Lots of foreign investors are very, very wary of investing money via Shanghai or on the mainland. HK serves (served?) as a well governed gateway to investing in China for a lot of non-Chinese funds where the courts were respected and rule of law upheld, almost a carbon copy of the City in Asia. That money isn't going to go to Shanghai, it will most likely not go to China at all which means other Asian countries will benefit from more FDI via paper written in Singapore and London.
    Sure. But in the end the sheer size of China will predominate, and many banks and much fintech and the rest will have to locate partly in China. There will be tacit pressure to go to Shanghai, to keep Beijing happy. Ongoing turmoil in HK will further push people to the "mainland".

China is a threat to everyone. Finally, a malignant superpower too big to fight and too rich to ignore. Bleak.
    You say that but investors are looking at what's happening to Ant at the moment and taking fright. Whatever pressure there is to go to Shanghai will mean nothing to investors who want to park their money somewhere they know it won't be expropriated or into companies they know won't be taken apart by the CCP for being insufficiently loyal.

China is at a crossroads itself, at the moment investors are happy to use the HK gateway to invest in mainland companies. China benefits from the foreign cash and its companies gain legitimacy in the process. Now without that gateway China effectively blocks its own markets off for international investors. Maybe it sees this as a good thing because international investors have higher governance demands which Chinese companies don't want to deal with. I see this as China putting up its own wall, the stupidity is in the EU bringing down the wall exactly as China puts one up and in return for vague promises from the CCP to close forced/slave labour camps which we know they will never adhere to.
    Sounds like great news for Singapore, Tokyo, Dubai and other Asian markets, probably London and NY too.

There’s going to be a lot of money flowing out of HK in the coming months.
    I'd guess at Singapore and London benefiting the most. London is a pretty decent like for like replacement in terms of arbitration, rules and courts. Investors will be happy to park their money here but there is a timezone issue, I'm not sure how big of a deal it will be. My employer doesn't really care and its Japanese.
    2-300k Hong Kong traders + families getting rights of residence in the UK might very considerably tip the balance. The government seemed to be floating an idea like that before Christmas. I hope they come back to it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,669

Do we have enough penicillin?
  • Options

He's as useful as a marzipan dildo.
    Need a flint one in there, pronto.
  • Options

Sort of on topic:
    "These truths we hold to be self evident."
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I hear the voice of experience.
    Anything can be a dildo if you're brave enough.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

He elicits virtually no comment.
    Even on this site. No one has much to add.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

A former Goldman Sachs banker will this week be installed by Boris Johnson as the next BBC chairman amid a deepening debate about the fate of the television licence fee and unprecedented competition from commercial rivals.

Sky News has learnt that the government is preparing to announce the appointment of Richard Sharp as Sir David Clementi's successor as soon as Thursday.

Mr Sharp, who during his long career at Goldman was once Rishi Sunak's boss, has spent much of the past year as an unpaid adviser to the chancellor on the economic response to the coronavirus pandemic...

Mr Sharp was an adviser to the PM during the latter's time as mayor of London, and has historically been a donor to the Conservative Party, although one ally of the new BBC chair said he had given just £2,500 to it in the last decade.

https://news.sky.com/story/ministers-to-unveil-former-goldman-banker-sharp-as-new-bbc-chair-12180454

The Guardian are going to have fits....and again it looks like jobs for your mates.

There's an incredibly casual, almost careless - in fact, almost proud - quality to the govrnment's cronyism. And again, it does have to be said that the current western government that most reminds of, is Trump's ; in a politer and subtler English version.
    They've given up on the subtlety now. It's blatant cronyism. They may as well tear up the Nolan Principles for Public Life and put them in the bin.
    Because of course Labour didn't use their patronage to stuff every public sector and quango post with their own placemen during their tenure? It's taken ten years of Conservative government to clear some of them out, and no doubt many still remain.
    Do you really think that the answer to cronyism and corruption is more of it?

Perhaps you do. If so, it would explain a lot about the current Tory party.
    The problem is someone like Richard Sharp is well qualified to a non-executive chairman of a major organisation. He’s also served on the financial policy committee of the bank of England and was chairman of the royal academy.

If you are going to exclude qualified people because they “once kissed a Tory” then you are going to end up with mediocre calibre people on average
    He is Goldman Sachs Mr Entertainment. Queue the jazz hands. He’s a placeman who knows absolutely nothing about broadcasting.
    A chairman’s job is not to second guess the executives
    Some knowledge and experience would be useful. This guy has less to offer than Gary from down the coop.
    Sounds like he has knowledge and experience of being chairman of a large organisation.

The skills of doing that are transferable across sectors.
    "Pass the port old chap. Now then, where were we?"
  • Options

Jonathan said:

One of my fellow pupils reportedly stole a glass test tube from the chemistry lab ...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,340
    edited January 2021
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

As would attacking the courts and judicial independence, which China is going to do next in HK.

TBH I'm surprised that the original settlement has lasted as long as it has. But China under Xi Jinping is a whole new level of tyranny, not just in Hong Kong of course.

Quite how the Chinese government thinks that it can retain Hong Kong's position as a major financial centre and trading hub whilst arbitrarily arresting people, including foreigners, is a complete mystery. They seem to be spectacularly dumb.
    They don't care. They think they are now so strong, people will do business with them anyway. And they reckon lots of business that leaves Hong Kong will move to Shanghai, to please the government. And they are probably right.

Long term, Shanghai and Singapore will dominate Asian finance etc. HK has a future of sad slow decline.
    Lots of foreign investors are very, very wary of investing money via Shanghai or on the mainland. HK serves (served?) as a well governed gateway to investing in China for a lot of non-Chinese funds where the courts were respected and rule of law upheld, almost a carbon copy of the City in Asia. That money isn't going to go to Shanghai, it will most likely not go to China at all which means other Asian countries will benefit from more FDI via paper written in Singapore and London.
    Sure. But in the end the sheer size of China will predominate, and many banks and much fintech and the rest will have to locate partly in China. There will be tacit pressure to go to Shanghai, to keep Beijing happy. Ongoing turmoil in HK will further push people to the "mainland".

China is a threat to everyone. Finally, a malignant superpower too big to fight and too rich to ignore. Bleak.
    You say that but investors are looking at what's happening to Ant at the moment and taking fright. Whatever pressure there is to go to Shanghai will mean nothing to investors who want to park their money somewhere they know it won't be expropriated or into companies they know won't be taken apart by the CCP for being insufficiently loyal.

China is at a crossroads itself, at the moment investors are happy to use the HK gateway to invest in mainland companies. China benefits from the foreign cash and its companies gain legitimacy in the process. Now without that gateway China effectively blocks its own markets off for international investors. Maybe it sees this as a good thing because international investors have higher governance demands which Chinese companies don't want to deal with. I see this as China putting up its own wall, the stupidity is in the EU bringing down the wall exactly as China puts one up and in return for vague promises from the CCP to close forced/slave labour camps which we know they will never adhere to.
    Sounds like great news for Singapore, Tokyo, Dubai and other Asian markets, probably London and NY too.

I'd guess at Singapore and London benefiting the most. London is a pretty decent like for like replacement in terms of arbitration, rules and courts. Investors will be happy to park their money here but there is a timezone issue, I'm not sure how big of a deal it will be. My employer doesn't really care and its Japanese.
    2-300k Hong Kong traders + families getting rights of residence in the UK might very considerably tip the balance. The government seemed to be floating an idea like that before Christmas. I hope they come back to it.
    Someone posted the HK immigration stats earlier - up massively already. They didn't just float the idea - did it.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Italy has carried out 250,000 vaccinations, just 10,295 over 80 year olds have received a dose whereas 71,568 under 40s have.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

A former Goldman Sachs banker will this week be installed by Boris Johnson as the next BBC chairman amid a deepening debate about the fate of the television licence fee and unprecedented competition from commercial rivals.

Sky News has learnt that the government is preparing to announce the appointment of Richard Sharp as Sir David Clementi's successor as soon as Thursday.

Mr Sharp, who during his long career at Goldman was once Rishi Sunak's boss, has spent much of the past year as an unpaid adviser to the chancellor on the economic response to the coronavirus pandemic...

Mr Sharp was an adviser to the PM during the latter's time as mayor of London, and has historically been a donor to the Conservative Party, although one ally of the new BBC chair said he had given just £2,500 to it in the last decade.

https://news.sky.com/story/ministers-to-unveil-former-goldman-banker-sharp-as-new-bbc-chair-12180454

The Guardian are going to have fits....and again it looks like jobs for your mates.

There's an incredibly casual, almost careless - in fact, almost proud - quality to the govrnment's cronyism. And again, it does have to be said that the current western government that most reminds of, is Trump's ; in a politer and subtler English version.
    They've given up on the subtlety now. It's blatant cronyism. They may as well tear up the Nolan Principles for Public Life and put them in the bin.
    Because of course Labour didn't use their patronage to stuff every public sector and quango post with their own placemen during their tenure? It's taken ten years of Conservative government to clear some of them out, and no doubt many still remain.

The problem is someone like Richard Sharp is well qualified to a non-executive chairman of a major organisation. He’s also served on the financial policy committee of the bank of England and was chairman of the royal academy.

If you are going to exclude qualified people because they “once kissed a Tory” then you are going to end up with mediocre calibre people on average
    He is Goldman Sachs Mr Entertainment. Queue the jazz hands. He’s a placeman who knows absolutely nothing about broadcasting.
    Some knowledge and experience would be useful. This guy has less to offer than Gary from down the coop.
    Sounds like he has knowledge and experience of being chairman of a large organisation.

The skills of doing that are transferable across sectors.
    "Pass the port old chap. Now then, where were we?"
    More like "Pass the old chap round. Now then, where were we?"
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,619
    edited January 2021

Given the orientation of the site, we can surely get someone to defend the EU's investment accord with China, following the latest moves to destroy democracy in Hong Kong.

Scott?

TSE?

You do realise don't you that some, possibly most of us, are not fanboys of any party or organisation such that we support and cheer on everything they do not matter how mad.

I am a LD, but believe it or not I don't worship the ground Ed Davey walks on. Similarly the EU; I don't think everything they do is wonderful. I just think it would be much better if we in it rather than out of it.

It is a weird outlook on life if you think everything is either wonderful or awful. Only Trump falls into that category for me.
  • Options
    Saturday's East Midlands derby between Northampton and Leicester has been cancelled due to "a number of positive" coronavirus tests in the Saints camp.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/55560884

Elite sport reaching herd immunity...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Jonathan said:

I heard of a guy who used a beer bottle with his boyfriend

Long story - short version was it did not end well
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,867
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Absolutely!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Floater said:

Italy has carried out 250,000 vaccinations, just 10,295 over 80 year olds have received a dose whereas 71,568 under 40s have.

Italy is doing healthcare workers first which is why those numbers look like that. It is the right strategy IMO and will ensure they don't have a staffing crunch in January as we are about to have.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

No bad idea whilst brainstorming new innovations.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

A friend used a wine bottle, long story short, it created a vacuum, and well a trip to A&E was required.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

I see we are back with the "Trump who got 2 of the 3 lowest Republican votes shares this millennium" is wildly popular line of thinking.

Trump did however get the highest number of EC votes for a GOP candidate since Reagan Bush in 2016 and the highest number of EC votes for a GOP candidate since George W Bush even in 2020.

I doubt Cruz or Pence, one of whom who will likely be the 2024 GOP nominee if Trump does not run again, would have done any better and would probably do worse
    He also got more votes than any Republican ever.

Really don't understand American politics. Its why I am so reluctant to bet on it. Weird.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258
    SandraMc said:

We have just had a letter in the post saying that my husband's 2nd vax due to be given next Tuesday is now postponed to March. Not happy.

Well you should think about it a bit more, and be happy.
  • Options

Eh, it's pretty chilly out, I'll pass.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kle4 said:

You hate the NHS and want nurses to die of COVID, clearly.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Absolutely!
    Amongst other things it would make apprehensions about the dominance of London as the international financial centre on the back of the B word look like a complete joke.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,513

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yep. This is what I am opining will happen. He is net toxic to the GOP brand and so they need to have this battle and win it. Which they will (both) because the Republican party is bigger than any one man - they're not called the GOP for nothing - and they exist to win power not to service the ego of individuals.

Time to dig up the old strapline. Trump is Toast. Again.
    I always find it funny when the left give conservatives advice.
    Be funnier if they don't take it.

Rats in a sack...
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/06/republicans-turn-on-trump-georgia-loss-455305
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940

Please no. Somebody make it stop.
  • Options

Some people like marzipan.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Alistair said:

I see we are back with the "Trump who got 2 of the 3 lowest Republican votes shares this millennium" is wildly popular line of thinking.

Wow, another leftist promising conservatives they still have a chance if only they select a candidate the left approves of.

I guess we can expect a great deal of this over the next two years.
    Well I'm a right winger who thinks Ronald Reagan was America's best postwar POTUS but I find Trump revolting and am glad the Democrats won.

Maybe right wingers finding Trump repellant should be taken seriously? Just an idea.
    You fibber, you are the most Trumpian poster on here. I guess you hope that saying you are anti-Trump makes you sound a little more human. Trump is a far right populist and so are you. If you were an American you would be wearing the hat and attending all his rallies and claiming the election was a fraud. You never have any real evidence for your stated views just right wing hunches, just like him. You are probably one of Donald Trump's love children
    Not by a long chalk is @Philip_Thompson 'the most Trumpian poster in here'.

I disagree with what PT says but you need to look elsewhere for PB Trump supporters. It isn't hard.
    Obviously people wont recall all positions of others but Philip condemned Trump for months and months. It's not even a muted kind of dislike where you might interpret them as secretly still in favour but hiding it with a 'I dont support trump but'.

Just because someone likes Boris doesn't mean they like Trump.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Why do you hate the NHS?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Wow, another leftist promising conservatives they still have a chance if only they select a candidate the left approves of.

Well I'm a right winger who thinks Ronald Reagan was America's best postwar POTUS but I find Trump revolting and am glad the Democrats won.

Maybe right wingers finding Trump repellant should be taken seriously? Just an idea.
    You fibber, you are the most Trumpian poster on here. I guess you hope that saying you are anti-Trump makes you sound a little more human. Trump is a far right populist and so are you. If you were an American you would be wearing the hat and attending all his rallies and claiming the election was a fraud. You never have any real evidence for your stated views just right wing hunches, just like him. You are probably one of Donald Trump's love children

I disagree with what PT says but you need to look elsewhere for PB Trump supporters. It isn't hard.
    Indeed. That's a bizarre attack from Nigel.

Plenty of PB Trumptons linger around, they are easy enough to identify.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

"In Like Marzipan" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, though.
  • Options

Easily done - just don't participate.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Why do you hate the NHS?
    Round here, not going out at 8pm is positively supporting the NHS - far too icy.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    The reason there were ballots is that there was an election.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1346818855298072576?s=21
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Presumably the brand of beer that refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I've always liked Lord Patten, I wonder if he might have become Tory leader in 1997 (or earlier) if he hadn't have lost his seat.

https://twitter.com/patrickwintour/status/1346758784602005504

He's one of my heroes. Man of immense courage.

Needless to say we don't see eye-to-eye on Europe. I suspect that would have let him down, as it did for Ken Clarke.
    Yep I agree with this. I think he was utterly wrong on Europe and I think that would have killed any chance he had of being PM even had he kept his seat. But he has been right on many other things not least his calls for us to welcome Hong Kong residents we abandoned after the handover in 1999. This is a great wrong I hope we are now righting.
    Agreed. What was different about him is that he had little time for the pomposity of Heseltine and Heath either, and was clearly patriotic - believing Britain's interests could best be asserted via the EU.

I didn't agree with him on that, but I respect anyone (of whatever view) who has moral and political courage.

He had it. In spades.
    And quite a good sense of humour.
    His time at the BBC wasn't great, though.
    Gifted. But did seem to look down on those who did not appreciate those gifts as much as he did.
    He, and many of his contemporaries are still head and shoulders above anyone in the present cabinet, though.
    I see you cling to your habit of discipline and restraint when posting.

Head and shoulders and torso and legs down to approximately the knee.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Why do you hate the NHS?
    I'm just plain nasty, bad to the bone.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    SandraMc said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

SandraMc said:

We have just had a letter in the post saying that my husband's 2nd vax due to be given next Tuesday is now postponed to March. Not happy.

Allowing another person to be immunised. Deal with it.
    +1 - it's an example of common sense being followed to maximize the number of people vaccinated.

And, yes, the communication of this has been crap but hey our PM is a Mr B Johnson who has been shown to continually leave things to the last second in the hope that he doesn't need to announce anything awkward.
    Even though Pfizer has expressed concern about the effectiveness with this delay?
    Yes. #Your small sacrifice could save another life.
  • Options

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Presumably the brand of beer that refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach?
    If you can read the label in the X-ray, be my guest (warning: a bit judgemental, but given where it's from ...):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2702971/
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    IanB2 said:

SandraMc said:

It is of course an entirely sensible strategy to decide to postpone the 2nd jab for some people meaning more people can get the 1st jab.

However, analogously to the schools farrago, this course of action will also affect people many of whom, by definition as they have had the jab, might be easily confused and upset and depressed by the change of plan.

And I am reluctant to believe that the situation moved so quickly they had to move on vaccines and yet overnight were shocked, apparently, by the stats wrt schools.

It's all very well to say, quite patronisingly for you I must say, "you should think about it a bit more" but not every 80+ yr old is as sprightly as you and I hope to be.
  • Options
    Forget closeness to Dishy Rishi and Boris...instant disqualification...

He read PPE at Christchurch College in Oxford, where he was a neighbour to the journalist Adam Boulton.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55561667
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

You hate the NHS and want nurses to die of COVID, clearly.
    Well obviously, though I thought I'd done better at hiding it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    What time does the joint session of Congress start today?
  • Options

Trump's talking about himself there isn't he?
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    CNN - Georgia - Approx 65K votes outstanding from vastly DEM areas.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2021

kinabalu said:

Just following orders, though, don't you think?
    His presentational and messaging skills are so dire - thanks teachers and staff in education, then immediately uses Ofsted as a threat. Avoids any question about vaccinations, even when raised by Tory MPs e.g. Robert Halfon.
    I particularly liked his performance over the exams last Summer.

First, Sturgeon & Swinney fall down a huge elephant trap. They clamber out.

Then, Drakeford & Williams fall down the same elephant trap. They clamber out.

Everyone says to Gavin Williamson, there is a huge elephant trap just there, do be really careful.

Gav says, No problem, I can see the huge elephant trap. I have everything under control.

Gav falls down the elephant trap, and pulls most of the Tory Cabinet with him.

From the bottom of the elephant pit -- surrounded by Tories with their limbs broken by the fall -- Boris announces I have full confidence in Gavin Williamson
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Obviously your red pen is in constant action with all those ambitious targets never met.

Still, it makes for a great boardroom atmosphere until reality bites.

Boardroom ... ?

When someone is obviously too slow and pedestrian -- like an enormous reticulated truck trundling in the middle of the road and blocking speedier traffic -- it is only then do I suggest that they may need to look elsewhere.

Perhaps, I say, you may have a future in senior management in a UK boardroom.

Look, at these opportunities ... the Topping Fine Wine Company are looking to hire at a senior level. Just the job for you.

And here, what about Topping Hot Air Dirigibles -- they have ambitious plans to harness all the Topping Hot Air for balloons at children's parties. Could be the opportunity for you to make your name at an executive level?

Of course, they're making one plastic ballon at a time, but they could ramp up, if they hire someone of your ... err, talents ...
    A bit creepy that your post is all about me to be honest but flattering nevertheless.
    A certain brio though. "Topping Hot Air Dirigibles". You must have laughed.
  • Options

He read PPE at Christchurch College in Oxford, where he was a neighbour to the journalist Adam Boulton.

Careful! You're supposed to say just Christ Church. No College. (Worst food I ever had when visiting friends in Oxford, by the way.)
  • Options
    MattW said:

Do any wine buffs know whether Barossa Valley Shiraz is any good?

Laithwaites are trying to sell me a case at half price.

Barossa is recognised as a premier area for Shiraz, and produces a lot of good quality wine, especially where there are older vines that survived the vine pulling incentives of twenty years back.

I did my wine qualification online with Laithwaites during the first lockdown, and they’re a good company with some good quality wines on their list. However as a principally online/mail order firm they do rely on selling a lot of plonk cheaply to attract new customers. If you are looking for quality it is generally better to look at their mid-range wines rather than the offers.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,340
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Why do you hate the NHS?
    Round here, not going out at 8pm is positively supporting the NHS - far too icy.
    But you are not Showing You Care. Therefore you are evil.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I have to hear it every week and there is social pressure to stand outside seal-like.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021

The Trump media circus in its glory phase is almost over, and the regular repliers like Jeff Tiedrich, who have emerged almost instantly each time he posts something for about the last four years, will probably settle back into something like a contended obscurity.

He certainly knows how to keep winding up his supporters, though ; hopefully all will stay reasonably calm in Washington today.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

A friend used a wine bottle, long story short, it created a vacuum, and well a trip to A&E was required.
    The stripper in the Working Men's Club with which I had a, fairly brief, bar job 'drank' a bottle of Newcastle Brown. Educational.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021
    Carnyx said:

Careful! You're supposed to say just Christ Church. No College. (Worst food I ever had when visiting friends in Oxford, by the way.)
    Not me saying, idiots at the BBC.
  • Options

He really has no idea how anything works, does he?
  • Options
    Instead of clapping the NHS why don't we give nurses a pay rise?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,619
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Obviously people wont recall all positions of others but Philip condemned Trump for months and months. It's not even a muted kind of dislike where you might interpret them as secretly still in favour but hiding it with a 'I dont support trump but'.

Just because someone likes Boris doesn't mean they like Trump.
    Spot on. Philip has made very clear his disgust for Trump and Boris is no Trump. I certainly detest Trump. I think he is evil. Boris has qualities and he has flaws as do most people. People have different views about him. I don't think he is competent as a PM, but that is a personal opinion, but I feel very confident to say he is definitely not evil, far from it, what is more I do admire his humour and his ability to speak and write (just not to lead).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Obviously your red pen is in constant action with all those ambitious targets never met.

Still, it makes for a great boardroom atmosphere until reality bites.

Boardroom ... ?

When someone is obviously too slow and pedestrian -- like an enormous reticulated truck trundling in the middle of the road and blocking speedier traffic -- it is only then do I suggest that they may need to look elsewhere.

Perhaps, I say, you may have a future in senior management in a UK boardroom.

Look, at these opportunities ... the Topping Fine Wine Company are looking to hire at a senior level. Just the job for you.

And here, what about Topping Hot Air Dirigibles -- they have ambitious plans to harness all the Topping Hot Air for balloons at children's parties. Could be the opportunity for you to make your name at an executive level?

Of course, they're making one plastic ballon at a time, but they could ramp up, if they hire someone of your ... err, talents ...
    A bit creepy that your post is all about me to be honest but flattering nevertheless.
    A certain brio though. "Topping Hot Air Dirigibles". You must have laughed.
    Too clumsy.

I like my fans to be cute and spry.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The latest polling suggests the GOP will hold the Georgia Senate seats in the run off and I agree.

Biden was not elected on the back of a Democratic landslide to sweep the US to the left, he was elected purely to beat Trump and Georgia swing voters having voted Biden to beat the incumbent President will now vote GOP to ensure the woke, far left does not get too much power and the Senate stays GOP.

Hence Biden will be the first incoming President not to take office with his party in control of both chambers of Congress since Bush Snr in 1989. That would be about right, US voters want him to compromise with the GOP and to reduce the polarisation

Lol

Given that HYUFD is repeatedly revisionist about his predictions this is a useful reminder of how wrong he has been on almost everything to do with United States politics this past year.
    Harsh, but fair.
    Congrats on your bet, which I followed in a small way.
    Thank you, that's kind and I'm glad you won too.

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kle4 said:

No bad idea whilst brainstorming new innovations.
    I presume some cake-makers have already received requests for and fulfilled such orders for a certain clientele.

https://www.pinterest.com.au/sharynrichards/naughty-sexy-cakes/
  • Options
    Guido understands that Downing Street’s televised press briefings, to be fronted by Allegra Stratton and due to launch on January 11th, will not be going ahead next week.

https://order-order.com/2021/01/06/allegras-scheduled-televised-briefings-off-air/
  • Options
    MattW said:

Bonjour.

Laithwaites are ok - I think they power the Sunday Times Wine Club also. But aside from @IanB2's observations I would check the % alc. Typically they sell a lot of high alcohol (14-15%) wines which shall we say can mask any quality there may be. Plus they give you a stonking headache the next day.

Unless of course that is what you're after - in which case gin.
  • Options
    Lockdown could last until Easter as Boris Johnson says restrictions will be lifted 'brick by brick'
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kle4 said:

What's important, surely, is that vast numbers of Republicans believe him, according to polls, and think they do not have a legitimate government.

Just like the democrats four years ago, in fact.

And that is America now.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I have to hear it every week and there is social pressure to stand outside seal-like.
    Tell everyone you have arthritis.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Why do you hate the NHS?
    **** that for a game of soldiers - not trying to be rude to anyone: but they tried to make it a "Clap for Bojo" earlier this year, which put me right off [a very unfortunate association, that, btw]. And the weather is lethally oscillating above and below freesing with no pavement salting by the local council. I fell on the black ice earlier this week despite wearing studded rubber crampon thingies and banged my head - very fortunately I was wearing a thick Irish fisherman's hat, and there was some snow where I fell. But it was a hell of a fright and I'm not risking anything like it.
  • Options

Seems well-qualified:

"Sharp has given more than £400,000 to the Conservative Party."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sharp_(banker)
  • Options

kle4 said:

What's important, surely, is that vast numbers of Republicans believe him, according to polls, and think they do not have a legitimate government.

Just like the democrats four years ago, in fact.

And that is America now.
    That is important, yes. Though we haven't heard for 4 years that Trump rigged things (though plenty of complaints about the EC system) and I hope we dont hear it for the next 4 years. Legal challenges took place to test the claims and concerns, and were not successful. End of.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Damn, the SE of England really is a mess.

Good job no-one lives there....
    London is crawling with virus. I am loath to venture anywhere that has other people in the equation until I have the protection.
    How can it be when movement has been heavily restricted in some form or other since November?

Dickheads acting like dickheads.

Indeed. Just like wasn;t Mao's fault 40 million Chinese starved to death between 1958 and 1962 under his government's policies.

It was the speculators undermining his efforts.

Like him, we should be sending these people to Kamps. Not Camps with a C but Kamps with a K.
    Riiiiight...

The speculators killed those sparrows, did they?

Or were you trying to be ironic?
    I was merely trying to point out what happens when you make the assumption the state's policy cannot be wrong.
    Newsflash.

You failed.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Why do you hate the NHS?
    **** that for a game of soldiers - not trying to be rude to anyone: but they tried to make it a "Clap for Bojo" earlier this year, which put me right off [a very unfortunate association, that, btw]. And the weather is lethally oscillating above and below freesing with no pavement salting by the local council. I fell on the black ice earlier this week despite wearing studded rubber crampon thingies and banged my head - very fortunately I was wearing a thick Irish fisherman's hat, and there was some snow where I fell. But it was a hell of a fright and I'm not risking anything like it.
    Crikey, that sounds painful.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mike Pence is about to become trumpster non grata.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1346808075626426371?s=21

Yup I'm currently undercover in the MAGAverse....

I imagine these are the people having a nibble at the 50/1. Good, because otherwise they'd be spending it on Trump regalia. It's a social duty to lay them when you think about it. Like keeping scam callers on the line so they don't get the time to try Aunt Mathilda.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

2 weeks today and we are safe. Just hold onto that thought.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited January 2021
    Carnyx said:

Or with Betjeman:

'Friends, we will let our final visit be
    Oxford's epitome:
    The place they call the House'

Slightly odd thing for him to have said, but never mind.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,479
    edited January 2021

One reason is because nurses are not in the round poorly paid in the UK.

If you are looking for relatively poorly paid people working in medical jobs in the UK, there are plenty of others.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Compared with which previous BBC chairmen of recent years?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

But has he done anything noteworthy since becoming a renowned Diplomacy game expert?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    glw said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yep. This is what I am opining will happen. He is net toxic to the GOP brand and so they need to have this battle and win it. Which they will (both) because the Republican party is bigger than any one man - they're not called the GOP for nothing - and they exist to win power not to service the ego of individuals.

Time to dig up the old strapline. Trump is Toast. Again.
    I always find it funny when the left give conservatives advice.
    Fair point. Which I have to say since I was making it myself in reverse the other day. But I am very objective for my ilk and the "advice" is sound. New American Dream v MAGA would be no contest in a polarized binary in 24. So the GOP will need to come up with something else. And I think they will.
    The day Trump leaves office any incentive due to party loyalty to provide cover or protection for Trump will end. The GOP will be just delighted to leave Trump to fight his own legal battles, without any assistance from the DOJ, Senate, etc.
    For the other point of view, there's also the question of whether Trump would even persist with much of an active political career, something that he avoided pursuing for most of 7 decades. The past 4 years and the run up to it are the exception, not the rule. He is a narcissist whose every action is taken to benefit himself. On 20th Jan he will once again revert to holding no elected office. He won't really care about those who would like to jump on his coat tails to benefit themselves, because it is hard to see how he could benefit personally by advancing their prospects. Maybe it would smooth his ego, but not his bank balance, so he won't be minded to put himself out beyond trying to settle a few grudges. I think his attitude also extends to his immediate family, who I think he cares little about other than how they can be used to benefit him personally, so why should he go out of his way to help them either? He may just go much the same way as an ageing mafia boss, and try and back away into semi-retirement, his main concern being to fend off attention from those who wish him harm, especially in his case the feds and state prosecutors.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Does Trump even have the power to “arrest Pence”?
  • Options

Guido understands that Downing Street’s televised press briefings, to be fronted by Allegra Stratton and due to launch on January 11th, will not be going ahead next week.

https://order-order.com/2021/01/06/allegras-scheduled-televised-briefings-off-air/

They appeared to be advertising for Allegra's job again...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

SandraMc said:

It is of course an entirely sensible strategy to decide to postpone the 2nd jab for some people meaning more people can get the 1st jab.

However, analogously to the schools farrago, this course of action will also affect people many of whom, by definition as they have had the jab, might be easily confused and upset and depressed by the change of plan.

And I am reluctant to believe that the situation moved so quickly they had to move on vaccines and yet overnight were shocked, apparently, by the stats wrt schools.

It's all very well to say, quite patronisingly for you I must say, "you should think about it a bit more" but not every 80+ yr old is as sprightly as you and I hope to be.
    And whilst starting with more people once rather than fewer people twice buys a bit of time, there had better be a good plan to haul those missing second doses back in a couple of months time.

And, had we not let case rates drift upwards in September, October and December, the current race might not be so urgent.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Why do you hate the NHS?
    This weird and completely unpredictable ice stuff really seems to have caught our councils out this January. The pavements around here are bordering on lethal. My fitbit score this week is going to be the worst since I got it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

2 weeks today and we are safe. Just hold onto that thought.
    The trouble is that Trump has nearly exhausted all the legal and congressional opportunities to overturn the election, all he will be left with is his executive powers, and that's where it gets potentially dangerous.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The latest polling suggests the GOP will hold the Georgia Senate seats in the run off and I agree.

Biden was not elected on the back of a Democratic landslide to sweep the US to the left, he was elected purely to beat Trump and Georgia swing voters having voted Biden to beat the incumbent President will now vote GOP to ensure the woke, far left does not get too much power and the Senate stays GOP.

Hence Biden will be the first incoming President not to take office with his party in control of both chambers of Congress since Bush Snr in 1989. That would be about right, US voters want him to compromise with the GOP and to reduce the polarisation

Lol

Given that HYUFD is repeatedly revisionist about his predictions this is a useful reminder of how wrong he has been on almost everything to do with United States politics this past year.
    Harsh, but fair.
    Congrats on your bet, which I followed in a small way.
    Thank you, that's kind and I'm glad you won too.

Good call. I thought it was a wrong one and stayed out of the game. Given how close the Ossoff/Purdue result was I can't say I'm sorry. I would probably have hedged out at some point.

When do you think Betfair will pay out- Summer Solstice?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Why do you hate the NHS?
    Sounds nasty! Really icy here this morning. People berating the council for not gritting the roads. They responded that they have been out with the gritters all night, but grit needs to be crushed into the ice by traffic to work properly and there isn't very much of it.
  • Options

Mike Pence is about to become trumpster non grata.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1346808075626426371?s=21

I sense a "Pussy" Pence or a "Mikey Mouse" moniker in the offing.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Can't argue with his second sentence.
    “They’re not sending their best practice.”

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1346822958006886400?s=21
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Compared with which previous BBC chairmen of recent years?
    Doesn't make this appointment any better thoguh, does it?
  • Options

They appeared to be advertising for Allegra's job again...
    I see also that HYUFD is being let off leafleting when it comes to local elections - as is the blood pressure of residents when strangers comes up othe garden path with leaflets.

https://order-order.com/2021/01/06/cchq-ban-activists-from-campaigning-in-local-elections/
  • Options
    MattW said:

One reason is because nurses are not in the round poorly paid in the UK.

If you are looking for relatively poorly paid people working in medical jobs in the UK, there are plenty of others.
    Okay a bonus then, to thank them. Better than clapping once a week surely?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,479
    edited January 2021
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Barossa is recognised as a premier area for Shiraz, and produces a lot of good quality wine, especially where there are older vines that survived the vine pulling incentives of twenty years back.

I did my wine qualification online with Laithwaites during the first lockdown, and they’re a good company with some good quality wines on their list. However as a principally online/mail order firm they do rely on selling a lot of plonk cheaply to attract new customers. If you are looking for quality it is generally better to look at their mid-range wines rather than the offers.
    Cheers.

Price reduction for 12 bottles is from an alleged £275 to £138 :smile:

Mid-range? Certainly not plonk (in my universe).

I am not Sean T, or Deirdre as he may be currently.
This discussion has been closed.