Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

With 98% of the votes counted the Dems looks set to gain both Georgia US Senate seats – politicalbet

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,240
    edited January 2021

Every time I think our politics is bad it's comforting to know we're nowhere on the batshit spectrum compared to the USA.

And those who compare Boris to Trump are ridiculous

Trump is scary and where this ends goodness knows

Sky have stopped coverage of his rantings and as far as I know the BBC did not show it
  • Options

Floater said:

Scott_xP said:
    Wasn't there a "by" date in that prediction?
    Yes there was also a "if we don't take any action" in that prediction too.
    Also it wasn't mocked for 200 deaths, it was the 3000 daily deaths slide...which was later removed as they accepted it was incorrect...the error bars were nonsense, as they played fast and loose taking an earlier model and presented it as prediction starting from the next day, which meant it had these huge error bars (as it was based on a model that had spat out the prediction weeks before, and was wrong).

The early slide was the 50k recorded cases a day by mid November, which was also wrong.

Fucking fake news media.
    The 50k cases wasn't wrong since it was also "if we don't take any action". Action was taken.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

I see we are back with the "Trump who got 2 of the 3 lowest Republican votes shares this millennium" is wildly popular line of thinking.

Wow, another leftist promising conservatives they still have a chance if only they select a candidate the left approves of.

I guess we can expect a great deal of this over the next two years.
    Well I'm a right winger who thinks Ronald Reagan was America's best postwar POTUS but I find Trump revolting and am glad the Democrats won.

Maybe right wingers finding Trump repellant should be taken seriously? Just an idea.
    You fibber, you are the most Trumpian poster on here. I guess you hope that saying you are anti-Trump makes you sound a little more human. Trump is a far right populist and so are you. If you were an American you would be wearing the hat and attending all his rallies and claiming the election was a fraud. You never have any real evidence for your stated views just right wing hunches, just like him. You are probably one of Donald Trump's love children
    Not by a long chalk is @Philip_Thompson 'the most Trumpian poster in here'.

I disagree with what PT says but you need to look elsewhere for PB Trump supporters. It isn't hard.
    I have a list of PBers who were either overtly or secretly rooting for Trump to beat Biden.

There are 12 names on it. The Dirty Dozen.
    I'm betting it includes those so secret, they have continuously said they wouldn't have voted for Trump in 2016 or 2020.... But clearly, they didn't mean it.
    Bet you are on the list @MarqueeMark
    It's Sub Judice for obvious reasons. Although I can probably risk disclosing that you are one of those named. Can't see you suing.
    I know I'm not on it, because I have consistently said on here since 2016 there's no way I could have voted for Trump.

Or either of his opponents.

Hillary was a terrible candidate. Dire.Thankfully the title of first woment President wasn't sullied by having her attached to that bit of history.

And "Not being Trump" wouldn't have been enough reason for me to vote for Biden.

Blimey actually volunteering to wrap yourself round @kinabalu's little finger.

Funny to see.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited January 2021

ping said:

“Does that still matter in this country?”

He’s hit the nail on the head there.

Trumpism is a kind of post-religious cult.
    He really didn't

The American system has given to their citizens, by common consent even on here, an electoral system that to be called third world is a massive insult to the third world.

The courts in almost every case would not let Trump even set out the weak evidence he did have.

Why would Americans have any confidence in any of their institutions now?
    The point was about the god thing.

The decline in religiousity in the US was a necessary prerequisite for the success of trumpism. Discuss.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    It's nice that the Trump children all seem so close with their father that they stump for him politically, but do they not have their own lives and interests? The one benefit to him not being president should be they no longer have to get involved in politics - it's not like they did much before.
    Trumspksys are a family of grifters. The move from one con to the next, burning turf as they go then finding new turf to trash. Their "interests" are milking the suckers and living on the proceeds ad infinitum.

Anyone who ever watched the US version of "The Apprentice" could see for themselves what a total wastes of space is young Don.

Indeed, only reason why folks thought Ivanka might NOT be a total schmuck (wrong!) was because in sheer brains she was so clearly light-years superior to her dad and sibling.

Like the wise man (not Rudi) once said, "In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed is king."
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

Trump is utterly barking and very dangerous as he winds up his supporters live on TV

This is frankly disgusting and does make you 'weep' for the people of the US

Given the current president of Mexico held a fake inauguration when he lost years ago I will be amazed if Trump does not do one.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,101
    edited January 2021
    rkrkrk said:

I'm thinking we are likely to go over 2,000 deaths/day this month. Others agree?

Yes - just the majority won't be from covid. (Not conspiracy, just that lots of people die every die NOT from Covid).
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Calling senators’weak republicans’ isn’t going to win hearts and minds.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    It's nice that the Trump children all seem so close with their father that they stump for him politically, but do they not have their own lives and interests? The one benefit to him not being president should be they no longer have to get involved in politics - it's not like they did much before.
    They liked to pose with their trophy big game kills....

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/04/donald-trump-jr-trophy-hunting-auction-nevada-aoe
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Trump super spreader event playing 'In The Air Tonight'. It certainly is.

I think we might need to start making allowances for the fact that a huge number of Trumpers/GOPers will be dead by 2024 as they view Covid-19 as hoax, engage in super spreader events and decline the vaccine.

Even bigger Dem landslide in 2024 as Biden wins in places like Texas.
    I so want Biden to run again in 2024. Everyone, including probably him, are so certain he will be a one term president, that it will just be comedic for him to say, you know what, I think I'm doing a good job, I've got just as many marbles as I did in 2020, primary me if you want a go now.
    I genuinely think he might if he has quite good numbers and midterms, is enjoying life, and feels okay in himself. I think he's 80-90% in himself that he's run his last race, but I don't think he's totally closed it off.
    I think it will depend on his differential numbers cf Kamala and his health. If it looks like he has the better chance AND he's fit, I would expect him to run. He could be someone who is prepared to voluntarily relinquish great power but it would be unusual. His odds will be interesting when the WH24 market forms.
    @Shadsy is trying to take 7-2 on him for the nomination ;p
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Jonathan said:

Donald has more flags than Boris, Nicola and Kier combined.

Fucking golf!
    And the bigliest Saltire (on a pole at Turnberry that must be marked as a hazard on the Prestwick airport flight charts).
    Actually the best thing that could be done with the Donald is just let him play golf in Scotland. I did wonder slightly when his intention of a flight to Scotland might have him requesting diplomatic asylum on arrival.

I guess Sturgeon is both flattered and pissed off with his actions.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The reason there were ballots is that there was an election.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1346818855298072576?s=21

He really has no idea how anything works, does he?
    What's important, surely, is that vast numbers of Republicans believe him, according to polls, and think they do not have a legitimate government.

Just like the democrats four years ago, in fact.

And that is America now.
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/1327601642880053250
    Did you subcontract that chart out to the LibDems?
    Sunil holds a patent on misleading bar charts. As a result hes the 5th richest man in the UK.
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/876894066478329857
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I was trying to compile this stat earlier.

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1346834407626334209

Split themselves into more states. The sky is the limit, or rather how small the stars will be in the flag
    {Texas has entered the chat}
    Stand by for the great states of East and West Dakota
    (Shouldn't it be North East Dakota and North West Dakota... and ditto for the South)
    IF England can have West Bromwich West, then surely America can have West West Virginia!

(Are you paying attention, TSE???)
    Green Street Green Road!
    The way things are at the moment West Bromwich West are the better footy side in the West Bromwich area.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

I see we are back with the "Trump who got 2 of the 3 lowest Republican votes shares this millennium" is wildly popular line of thinking.

Wow, another leftist promising conservatives they still have a chance if only they select a candidate the left approves of.

Well I'm a right winger who thinks Ronald Reagan was America's best postwar POTUS but I find Trump revolting and am glad the Democrats won.

Maybe right wingers finding Trump repellant should be taken seriously? Just an idea.
    You fibber, you are the most Trumpian poster on here. I guess you hope that saying you are anti-Trump makes you sound a little more human. Trump is a far right populist and so are you. If you were an American you would be wearing the hat and attending all his rallies and claiming the election was a fraud. You never have any real evidence for your stated views just right wing hunches, just like him. You are probably one of Donald Trump's love children

I disagree with what PT says but you need to look elsewhere for PB Trump supporters. It isn't hard.
    I have a list of PBers who were either overtly or secretly rooting for Trump to beat Biden.

I'm betting it includes those so secret, they have continuously said they wouldn't have voted for Trump in 2016 or 2020.... But clearly, they didn't mean it.
    It's Sub Judice for obvious reasons. Although I can probably risk disclosing that you are one of those named. Can't see you suing.
    I know I'm not on it, because I have consistently said on here since 2016 there's no way I could have voted for Trump.

Hillary was a terrible candidate. Dire.Thankfully the title of first woment President wasn't sullied by having her attached to that bit of history.

And "Not being Trump" wouldn't have been enough reason for me to vote for Biden.

Blimey actually volunteering to wrap yourself round @kinabalu's little finger.

Funny to see.
    Just history...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Boxing themselves into a corner. They can't not start shooting between now and the 20th now without admitting to being completely irrelevant, on their own terms, to the security of a free State.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I was trying to compile this stat earlier.

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1346834407626334209

Split themselves into more states. The sky is the limit, or rather how small the stars will be in the flag
    {Texas has entered the chat}
    Stand by for the great states of East and West Dakota
    (Shouldn't it be North East Dakota and North West Dakota... and ditto for the South)
    IF England can have West Bromwich West, then surely America can have West West Virginia!

(Are you paying attention, TSE???)
    Not to mention the Ridings, a concept the US might usefully borrow if it becomes necessary to divide up the flyover States some more.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The press is the ‘enemy of the people’. Good grief. Out and out fascism.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,903
    edited January 2021
    Trump has arrived at the rally. Says “We will never give up, we will never concede. It doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved.”

Disruption of Inauguration open the cards?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Trump howling at the moon
  • Options

Trumphas arrived at the rall . Says “We will never give up, we will never concede. It doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved.”

Disruption of Inauguration open the cards?

I used to think the stories of fears of him not going were pure crap .... now ... not so sure
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,072
    edited January 2021

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

All fine. But just to be clear. My list is not of posters who would have voted for Trump. The entry qualification to get on it was preferring him to win the election (or Biden to lose it).

So, telly on, morning of 4/11, what was the hope, whether spoken or unspoken? - this was the question I asked myself of each and every active poster on here, all 300 and odd of them. Took me quite some time as you can imagine. Several hours.

Just a bit of fun though.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,683
    Problem is, Trump is enjoying himself too much.

v dangerous.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,200

rkrkrk said:

I'm thinking we are likely to go over 2,000 deaths/day this month. Others agree?

Yes - just the majority won't be from covid. (Not conspiracy, just that lots of people die every die NOT from Covid).
    Currently -

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,153
    edited January 2021
    Yep. He's demanding that the crowd storm the capital. Okay, "walk over". he knows what will happen.
  • Options
    Trump's reaction to losing the election is a bit like some pro-Europeans reaction to losing the 2016 Referendum.

If he'd put as much effort into actually winning the election as he has put into overturning it then he might have actually won the election in the first place.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

v dangerous.

At what point will he be arrested if at all

This is truly bizarre
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,286

Quote from Giuliani at the Trumps rally:
    "I'm willing to stake my reputation on the fact that there is election fraud:"

Playing for low stakes, then.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567
    edited January 2021
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Jonathan said:

Donald has more flags than Boris, Nicola and Kier combined.

Fucking golf!
    And the bigliest Saltire (on a pole at Turnberry that must be marked as a hazard on the Prestwick airport flight charts).
    Actually the best thing that could be done with the Donald is just let him play golf in Scotland. I did wonder slightly when his intention of a flight to Scotland might have him requesting diplomatic asylum on arrival.

I guess Sturgeon is both flattered and pissed off with his actions.
    No need to guess. Just full on pissed off. Just think what it would do to the Scottish Gmt budget for policing.

Also Boris Johnson's reputation if he gives Mr T asylum. Or Mr Raab C. Brexit's. At a time when they will be desperate to build up the Speshul Relashunship with Mr Biden.

Edit: and allowing Mr T to do what he does in Scotland would be as bad as eye tests in Barnard Castle in terms of undermining the fight against the new variant pox.
  • Options

Trump's reaction to losing the election is a bit like some pro-Europeans reaction to losing the 2016 Referendum.

If he'd put as much effort into actually winning the election as he has put into overturning it then he might have actually won the election in the first place.

This is actually an excellent point.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    rkrkrk said:

What is certain is that we will exceed the total civilian death toll of all wars in the 20th century, which is around 80,000.

This national trauma will take many years to overcome, not least because unlike the major wars of the last century, the UK is going to be one of the main losers in both deaths and economic damage.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    ping said:

ping said:

“Does that still matter in this country?”

He’s hit the nail on the head there.

Trumpism is a kind of post-religious cult.
    He really didn't

The American system has given to their citizens, by common consent even on here, an electoral system that to be called third world is a massive insult to the third world.

The courts in almost every case would not let Trump even set out the weak evidence he did have.

Why would Americans have any confidence in any of their institutions now?
    The point was about the god thing.

The decline in religiousity in the US was a necessary prerequisite for the success of trumpism. Discuss.
    Not really given Evangelicals voted in droves for Trump
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

I was no fan of the 17-19 parliament but that's a bit of a stretch.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    Exactly. He dropped her red lines and agreed a much easier deal to do. A piece of cake deal in fact. Then sold it as an against-the-odds triumph of hardball and negotiating panache. Pulled this trick twice. In 2019 with the WA. Last month with the FTA. The first won him an election and the power to do the 2nd. The gullibility of people is disappointing but, still, you have to say - what a player.
    May had the wrong red line. Boris fixed it.

May's priority was no distinction between England and GB, despite the fact that Stormont exists.

Boris's priority was for GB to be free from Europe - and that Stormont must control whether NI continues under its arrangements.

If it was so "easy" to negotiate Stormont being able to unilaterally end NI's special arrangements then why didn't May negotiate that? Throughout May's tenure the EU were explicit there must never be a unilateral end to the backstop as a backstop with a way out is not a backstop in their eyes. That changed when Boris negotiated with them.
    As I said, the gullibility of people - as regards how hard this was to do - is disappointing.

But on one point you are quite right. Johnson's Brexit is more faithful to pure Leave.
  • Options
    New thread peeps
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Floater said:

Trump howling at the moon

You need to be clearer if that is literally the case or not.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

He didn't like my bar chart :(
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021
    Jonathan said:

It's the way he tends to stride up and down slowly and carefully, with his black leather gloves while saying this sort of thing, that conveys that sense of menace to the most ardent section of his supporters.
  • Options
    This thread has been de-certified.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    CNN - Biden nominates Merrick Garland as AG
  • Options

FF43 said:

v dangerous.

At what point will he be arrested if at all

This is truly bizarre
    Worse than Drakeford? :smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Jonathan said:

It's the way he tends to stride up and down slowly and carefully, with his black leather gloves while saying this sort of thing, that conveys that sense of menace to the most ardent section of his supporters.
    It's fascism alright. A warning not from history but from rolling news in the here and now.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

All fine. But just to be clear. My list is not of posters who would have voted for Trump. The entry qualification to get on it was preferring him to win the election (or Biden to lose it).

So, telly on, morning of 4/11, what was the hope, whether spoken or unspoken? - this was the question I asked myself of each and every active poster on here, all 300 and odd of them. Took me quite some time as you can imagine. Several hours.

I called the election for Biden on here at 12.01 am Wednesday. It was obvious the postals would taken him over the limit in the handful of states in play. (I did say that Trump would win Alaska, as he did by 10%, against those rather more excitable types who thought it was in play. Ditto Texas.)

I just think he was a very weak candidate. He handled himself with grace as Trump threw an oh-so-predictable tantrum in the confectionary aisle, when the voters took away his sweeties. But Lord, is Biden uninspiring.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,286

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

This Trump March/rally is seriously fucked up. Sorry about language, but it’s appropriate. Never seen anything like it. 🥲America.

I repeat: An exit poll from Georgia for CNN showed 75% of repubs think the Presidential election was stolen. Those are voters who turned up for the run=offs. Among those who stayed away it is probably higher.

Many millions of Americans think they have an illegitimate government and a sub third world electoral system.
    That's almost entirely Trump's work, he's salted the earth for the GOP.
    The sub-thrd world electoral system W-A-Y predates Trump. 2000 and hanging chads, anyone?
    Shithole country ... ?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1346865674988232704
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JACK_W said:

CNN - Biden nominates Merrick Garland as AG

Absolute wanker move. Peak Biden.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

I called the election for Biden on here at 12.01 am Wednesday. It was obvious the postals would taken him over the limit in the handful of states in play. (I did say that Trump would win Alaska, as he did by 10%, against those rather more excitable types who thought it was in play. Ditto Texas.)

I just think he was a very weak candidate. He handled himself with grace as Trump threw an oh-so-predictable tantrum in the confectionary aisle, when the voters took away his sweeties. But Lord, is Biden uninspiring.
    Ok, I'll take you off it.

But I need a replacement to maintain the Dirty Dozen logo.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Biden was the safe-pair of hands, consensus candidate. It is why he was selected. It was why he won in the way he did.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095

rkrkrk said:

What is certain is that we will exceed the total civilian death toll of all wars in the 20th century, which is around 80,000.

This national trauma will take many years to overcome, not least because unlike the major wars of the last century, the UK is going to be one of the main losers in both deaths and economic damage.
    There were around 200 million civilian deaths in wars in the twentieth century.

Or did you mean just on the UK mainland?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

There were around 200 million civilian deaths in wars in the twentieth century.

Or did you mean just on the UK mainland?
    Yes UK civilian deaths.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Not being Trump is one of the chief attributes of Biden.

He isn't JFK or Lincoln. He's just... normal, really. For an American politician.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Floater said:

Scott_xP said:
    Wasn't there a "by" date in that prediction?
    Yes there was also a "if we don't take any action" in that prediction too.
    Also it wasn't mocked for 200 deaths, it was the 3000 daily deaths slide...which was later removed as they accepted it was incorrect...the error bars were nonsense, as they played fast and loose taking an earlier model and presented it as prediction starting from the next day, which meant it had these huge error bars (as it was based on a model that had spat out the prediction weeks before, and was wrong).

The early slide was the 50k recorded cases a day by mid November, which was also wrong.

Fucking fake news media.
    The 50k cases wasn't wrong since it was also "if we don't take any action". Action was taken.
    And it was in the context of the normal virus strain which, not one which is 50-70% more transmissive and has a base R value 0.7 higher.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    HYUFD said:

An English Parliament would be a help, so England is finally recognised as an equal partner within the UK alongside Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland which already have their own Parliaments and Assembly as well as still electing MPs to Westminster
    England has its de facto parliament , Westminster.
This discussion has been closed.