Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

With 98% of the votes counted the Dems looks set to gain both Georgia US Senate seats – politicalbet

Comments

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    OllyT said:

MrEd said:

The reason there were ballots is that there was an election.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1346818855298072576?s=21

Can't argue with his second sentence.
    Here's a question for PBers. How many of the methods used in US elections would you have no problem in being introduced to UK elections? Would you be happy with drop-off mail-in ballot boxes for example, to boost turnout in poorer areas, or electronic voting. I'm playing Devil's Advocate here in that the vast majority of people on here believe there was no fraud and malice, so I'm assuming everyone would be confident that bringing in US practices over here....:)
    We don't need those measures because the vast majority of people can vote a ten minute walk from their homes with a maximum of 5 minutes waiting time and easily get a postal vote if they prefer.

We don't have a party doing its best to try to make it as difficult as possible for people to cast their vote, making them wait in line for hours, reducing polling stations etc etc. In short we don't have Trump and the MAGAs and frankly I have zero respect for anyone who wants to see them in power.
    I disagree with the measures trying to make it difficult to vote. What I don't agree with is measures which reduce the security of the system. I flagged before if I drop your ballot off and offer to collect it at your home, that's super easy for the voter but it raises questions over the security of the system.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856

Is there any evidence that Boris has even heard of this person and his Twitter account? The whole story reads like a rather sad plea for significance.
    One thing we know about Boris, and something very different to Trump, is that we know he is ok with people laughing at him and thinking he looks and sounds ridiculous. It seems weird he would complain to Macron about someone mocking his policies.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

I see we are back with the "Trump who got 2 of the 3 lowest Republican votes shares this millennium" is wildly popular line of thinking.

Wow, another leftist promising conservatives they still have a chance if only they select a candidate the left approves of.

I guess we can expect a great deal of this over the next two years.
    Well I'm a right winger who thinks Ronald Reagan was America's best postwar POTUS but I find Trump revolting and am glad the Democrats won.

Maybe right wingers finding Trump repellant should be taken seriously? Just an idea.
    You fibber, you are the most Trumpian poster on here. I guess you hope that saying you are anti-Trump makes you sound a little more human. Trump is a far right populist and so are you. If you were an American you would be wearing the hat and attending all his rallies and claiming the election was a fraud. You never have any real evidence for your stated views just right wing hunches, just like him. You are probably one of Donald Trump's love children
    Not by a long chalk is @Philip_Thompson 'the most Trumpian poster in here'.

I disagree with what PT says but you need to look elsewhere for PB Trump supporters. It isn't hard.
    Obviously people wont recall all positions of others but Philip condemned Trump for months and months. It's not even a muted kind of dislike where you might interpret them as secretly still in favour but hiding it with a 'I dont support trump but'.

Just because someone likes Boris doesn't mean they like Trump.
    Spot on. Philip has made very clear his disgust for Trump and Boris is no Trump. I certainly detest Trump. I think he is evil. Boris has qualities and he has flaws as do most people. People have different views about him. I don't think he is competent as a PM, but that is a personal opinion, but I feel very confident to say he is definitely not evil, far from it, what is more I do admire his humour and his ability to speak and write (just not to lead).
    There are similarities between Johnson and Trump, in particular the dumbing down of political messaging and the "greatest country" shtick, also the immaturity and laziness, but they are at the same time totally different. In particular -

Trump has no intellect to speak of. Johnson does.
    Trump has no vocabulary. Johnson has a big one.
    Trump has malevolent intentions. Johnson is merely selfish.
    Trump's torso is all blubber. Johnson's is toned and muscly.

So what if Johnson "has a big one".. What's that got to do with Trump's bigly vocabulary?
    I do hope Biden mangles the English language. I'm going to miss that about Trump bigly. Although damn all else...)
    It's going to take ages for our collective diction to recover from Trump's idiolect, but I'm gonna make a yuge effort and look at it very strongly, and I think you'll be very, very, happy with the results. In fact a lot of people are saying that. Lotta people.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,654
    edited January 2021
    MrEd said:

Here's a question for PBers. How many of the methods used in US elections would you have no problem in being introduced to UK elections? Would you be happy with drop-off mail-in ballot boxes for example, to boost turnout in poorer areas, or electronic voting. I'm playing Devil's Advocate here in that the vast majority of people on here believe there was no fraud and malice, so I'm assuming everyone would be confident that bringing in US practices over here....:)
    But one does not imply the other does it? The question is logically flawed.

I find many things that I don't like about the American system that I would not like here. I find a number of things about our system that I also don't like. I am sure there was some fraud in the American election. I know there is some fraud in the UK elections (I have actually been involved in a case (I might add not as the defendant)).

So no I don't want many of the USA procedures used here, however that does not imply there was systematic and material fraud and I trust there has not been from all the evidence and court cases, just because some loon can't take the fact that he lost. That doesn't mean I am happy to import poor practices.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited January 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Romney in all likelyhood would have thrashed Clinton.

He would have absolutely hammered her: remember, he got pretty close to Obama, hard not to think that he would done very well against the much more unpopular Clinton.

(Worth remembering that he got a much higher share of the vote than Trump did in either 2016 or 2020.)
    McCain would likely have hammered Gore in 2000 too, one February 2000 poll had it McCain 59% and Gore just 35% if McCain was the GOP nominee

https://edition.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/02/28/cnn.poll/index.html
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

Does anyone know where to find how Georgia's Military and Overseas Ballots split in the 2020 Presidential? My guess is that it went to Biden by a hair, but I'd like to confirm with real numbers.

What I read somewhere was military for Trump, overseas Biden but can't be 100% sure
    Pre the November election, the Military Times did a poll of active service men, and (for the first time ever), they showed the Republican trailing the Democrat.

President Trump made an enormous number of completely unforced errors. Calling people who died for their country "losers" and "suckers" was not smart. Slagging off a man who spent years - and this David Foster Wallace piece on McCain is worth reading - being tortured in a prisoner of war camp, rather than be sent home earlier than people who had been captured earlier, almost certainly hit him in Arizona.

The thing that really pushed them across the line was treatment of the CO of that aircraft carrier, I believe.
    Trump really did some stupid things sometimes

(yes, I said that)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

I see we are back with the "Trump who got 2 of the 3 lowest Republican votes shares this millennium" is wildly popular line of thinking.

Wow, another leftist promising conservatives they still have a chance if only they select a candidate the left approves of.

Well I'm a right winger who thinks Ronald Reagan was America's best postwar POTUS but I find Trump revolting and am glad the Democrats won.

Maybe right wingers finding Trump repellant should be taken seriously? Just an idea.
    You fibber, you are the most Trumpian poster on here. I guess you hope that saying you are anti-Trump makes you sound a little more human. Trump is a far right populist and so are you. If you were an American you would be wearing the hat and attending all his rallies and claiming the election was a fraud. You never have any real evidence for your stated views just right wing hunches, just like him. You are probably one of Donald Trump's love children

I disagree with what PT says but you need to look elsewhere for PB Trump supporters. It isn't hard.
    Obviously people wont recall all positions of others but Philip condemned Trump for months and months. It's not even a muted kind of dislike where you might interpret them as secretly still in favour but hiding it with a 'I dont support trump but'.

Spot on. Philip has made very clear his disgust for Trump and Boris is no Trump. I certainly detest Trump. I think he is evil. Boris has qualities and he has flaws as do most people. People have different views about him. I don't think he is competent as a PM, but that is a personal opinion, but I feel very confident to say he is definitely not evil, far from it, what is more I do admire his humour and his ability to speak and write (just not to lead).
    There are similarities between Johnson and Trump, in particular the dumbing down of political messaging and the "greatest country" shtick, also the immaturity and laziness, but they are at the same time totally different. In particular -

So what if Johnson "has a big one".. What's that got to do with Trump's bigly vocabulary?
    I do hope Biden mangles the English language. I'm going to miss that about Trump bigly. Although damn all else...)
    Could be fun.
    And after Williamson's performance in the Commons today, let no one assume it's dementia
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited January 2021
    Pulpstar said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

I think it's the wrong question. There are practices of US elections i dont think are good, but which are perfectly legal in the US. In some cases they've been used for a long time by many states but only challenged because of the outcome this time.

Additionally, even if there is potential for problems with some aspects those need to be proven, and if dozens of legal cases cannot find sufficient grounds to act then it doesn't matter if some practices are not ideal as they haven't been shown to be faulty.

There have been months to prove fraud and other issues. It hasn't changed the results. And whatever flaws exist in their electoral practices in my personal opinion I'd hope they address. But you cannot do that part way through, without sufficient evidence, because the outcome is not liked.

One benefit to the lengthy delays and multiple processes for sign off is testing to destruction fraud claims.
    I would agree with that, you can't change the process half way through because you don't like the result. And they also haven't proven fraud, although it's "interesting" how a candidate like Biden drove up enthusiasm in certain US cities but not in others. What I can see is a number of Republican legislatures now becoming aggressive on the votes - PA's state Senate has just blocked a Democratic Senator who won by 69 votes from taking his seat on the grounds his election is being challenged.
    Oh given how aggressive some states already were I'm sure itll be off the charts now. And Democrats will want to move quick and there may be wars of escalation.
    It's difficult at the Federal level because so much of the issue to do with voting evolves around the states. Even though Biden has control, bringing a Federal law on protecting votes like in the 1960s is going to be a nightmare.
    And the 6-3 conservative majority on SCOTUS will likely rule that many of the changes the Dems would like to make are unconstitutional, infringing states' rights etc.
    I think a voting rights act will need careful framing it's essentially Kavanaugh who will be the swing vote on that one. It's tricky, but possible to do.

I say Kav and not the other conservative justices because he's a touch more idiosyncratic than the very strict originalists that Gorsuch, Thomas, Alito and ACB are.
    Roberts's absolute pants on head decision in Shelby County theoretically makes it really easy to write the law to get the VRA as was back but for some odd reason I suspect we may find the Roberts suddenly finds some other portion suddenly unconstitutional as well.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

It's going to take ages for our collective diction to recover from Trump's idiolect, but I'm gonna make a yuge effort and look at it very strongly, and I think you'll be very, very, happy with the results. In fact a lot of people are saying that. Lotta people.
    Sounds as if it's going to be big - the biggest - and a very beautiful, tremendous thing.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

FFUHD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

So does the GOP fall into civil war or does it reorganise and retake the House in 2022 ?

The GOP have got themselves into a dire position. Many of them know that the Trump core are batshit crazy / QAnon types but there are too many of them to ignore so they keep quiet because they are scared of them.

I don't see an easy path for any moderately sane Republican to win a GOP Primary. That's why we still have 10 GOP Senators about to humiliate themselves by still pretending Trump won the election.
    IDK, parties nearly always pick a moderate against an incumbent, not least because if the governing side isn't contested then politics enthusiasts vote in the opposition race, especially where there are open primaries. It's not clear that Trump will be willing and able to run, and if he's not then it's not clear that anybody similar can pull off what he did.
    In some cases you may be correct but I believe the GOP will be dancing to Trump's tune for the next 4 years.

Trump is a malign, vindictive and bullying individual who will take great pleasure in trying to destroy any Republican who has displeased him. The right really have taken the US into a very dark place and now the genii is out of the bottle it's not going to be easy to put it back.
    I totally share your opinion on the damage done but I do not think Trump & Clan will be the ongoing political force that many fear (or hope if they're on the dark side). Soon he will out of the White House. He'll be an impeached and disgraced one term ex-president with big legal and money troubles who managed the remarkable negative feat of failing to win a 2nd term after just 4 years of his party in power and while he's at it losing both houses of Congress to the hated other.

From 20 Jan his world will shrink beyond recognition. The difference between being the American president and not being the American president is almost as stark as that between being dead or alive. He'll lose all the trappings of that great office - the most important of which was to have his bullshit piped into people's heads 24/7. Supporters will drift away, not to be replaced by new ones. It will be one way traffic. Drip drip drip until what's left is something not to be taken seriously. He might even realize this himself before too long and concentrate just on cashflow and staying out of jail. Perhaps a deal? Not sure on that one. We'll see.

But Donald Trump the fearsome politician is over. No doubt there will be other grisly characters (the lizard Ted Cruz?) who will battle to own the MAGA space in the GOP, and one will prevail and be a live contender for the 24 nomination, but that person will not be called Trump and they won't be able to recreate what he did in 15/16 because that stunning achievement owed so much to his personal brand and persona. So they won't win the nomination. The Republican Party might look beyond the pale now but my money is on them detoxifying. Looking forward to the opening of the WH24 betting.
    I think even if Trump and Trump Jnr do not run in 2024 one of Pence or Cruz will be the GOP nominee, the GOP base are not going to pick an establishment and moderate 'RINO' as their nominee anytime soon
    Trump is a cult.* His support will wane now but it won't readily transfer anywhere and certainly not to traditional Republicans. The GoP has a massive problem, very much of its own creation. It will do well to avoid a long period in the wilderness.

* For the avoidance of doubt this is not a typo.
    It should be noted that the last time a party lost the White House after only 1 term, when Carter lost in 1980, it took the Democrats 12 years until Bill Clinton in 1992 before they won the White House again.

Which is not encouraging for the GOP, at least at the Presidential level
    It should be noted that the last time I flipped 3 tails in a row on a Wednesday when the President-elect's surname began with B, it was followed by a run of two heads and a tail.

Portentous.
    I may sue for passing off as me
    You should take it as a compliment. Even Sean has to run his own parody accounts.
    Well I suppose you have to be famous enough to be worth having a parody or impersonator of you in the first place
    It is a sign of blog celebrity. If a poster called "kuntibula" rocked up I'd be rather chuffed.

Now then, you're £25 in hock to me due to Georgia.

Should I come up with a couple of "double or quits" offers to ward off a settlement?
    Once 100% of the Georgia votes are in and it is confirmed there will be no recount in the Ossoff and Perdue race, then I will pay up. Or if there is a recount once it is completed and if the Ossoff result is upheld
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

glw said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yep. This is what I am opining will happen. He is net toxic to the GOP brand and so they need to have this battle and win it. Which they will (both) because the Republican party is bigger than any one man - they're not called the GOP for nothing - and they exist to win power not to service the ego of individuals.

Time to dig up the old strapline. Trump is Toast. Again.
    I always find it funny when the left give conservatives advice.
    Fair point. Which I have to say since I was making it myself in reverse the other day. But I am very objective for my ilk and the "advice" is sound. New American Dream v MAGA would be no contest in a polarized binary in 24. So the GOP will need to come up with something else. And I think they will.
    The day Trump leaves office any incentive due to party loyalty to provide cover or protection for Trump will end. The GOP will be just delighted to leave Trump to fight his own legal battles, without any assistance from the DOJ, Senate, etc.
    For the other point of view, there's also the question of whether Trump would even persist with much of an active political career, something that he avoided pursuing for most of 7 decades. The past 4 years and the run up to it are the exception, not the rule. He is a narcissist whose every action is taken to benefit himself. On 20th Jan he will once again revert to holding no elected office. He won't really care about those who would like to jump on his coat tails to benefit themselves, because it is hard to see how he could benefit personally by advancing their prospects. Maybe it would smooth his ego, but not his bank balance, so he won't be minded to put himself out beyond trying to settle a few grudges. I think his attitude also extends to his immediate family, who I think he cares little about other than how they can be used to benefit him personally, so why should he go out of his way to help them either? He may just go much the same way as an ageing mafia boss, and try and back away into semi-retirement, his main concern being to fend off attention from those who wish him harm, especially in his case the feds and state prosecutors.
    This is broadly my take. He will not stay a political force - and might not even try once it becomes clear it's not happening.

Keep an eye on his Twitter count. It's 88m now.
    Hmm...
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/05/donald-trump-election-challenge-455233
    ...But mostly, he is continuing his fight to subvert the election for a Trumpian reason: to keep the attention on himself and give his supporters what they want, according to the people who have spoken with him.

“The point is to still be relevant and still be talked about in the news,” said one of the people. “This is someone who’s been on Page Six of the New York Post for 40 years. He’s beyond embarrassment.”..
    Yes, I know this is the case. He is the ultimate attention junkie and it's hard to imagine him not being in the political limelight when he's been seemingly everywhere and all the time since 2015. But let's see how life and the world looks to him from outside the White House. Ann Applebaum reckons he'll keep his grip on the GOP for the foreseeable, so I'm probably wrong, but I have a strong hunch he will quite soon be an ex-wannabe-fascist-phenom.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

OllyT said:

MrEd said:

We don't need those measures because the vast majority of people can vote a ten minute walk from their homes with a maximum of 5 minutes waiting time and easily get a postal vote if they prefer.

We don't have a party doing its best to try to make it as difficult as possible for people to cast their vote, making them wait in line for hours, reducing polling stations etc etc. In short we don't have Trump and the MAGAs and frankly I have zero respect for anyone who wants to see them in power.
    I disagree with the measures trying to make it difficult to vote. What I don't agree with is measures which reduce the security of the system. I flagged before if I drop your ballot off and offer to collect it at your home, that's super easy for the voter but it raises questions over the security of the system.
    A potentially insecure system should be fixed. But it would need to be proportionate, which would depend also on proof of that insecurity being exploited.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    The SW Wilts Tory MP spotting the loophole in the government's vaccine promise - vaccinations offered is not the same, by any means, as vaccinations delivered
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Floater said:

Jesus - anyone else watching this Freedom Rally live?

Numpties testing the "live free and die" ideology to destruction.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    OllyT said:

Floater said:

Jesus - anyone else watching this Freedom Rally live?

Numpties testing the "live free and die" ideology to destruction.
    Doubling down on the claims re voting machines........
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

I think it's the wrong question. There are practices of US elections i dont think are good, but which are perfectly legal in the US. In some cases they've been used for a long time by many states but only challenged because of the outcome this time.

Additionally, even if there is potential for problems with some aspects those need to be proven, and if dozens of legal cases cannot find sufficient grounds to act then it doesn't matter if some practices are not ideal as they haven't been shown to be faulty.

There have been months to prove fraud and other issues. It hasn't changed the results. And whatever flaws exist in their electoral practices in my personal opinion I'd hope they address. But you cannot do that part way through, without sufficient evidence, because the outcome is not liked.

One benefit to the lengthy delays and multiple processes for sign off is testing to destruction fraud claims.
    I would agree with that, you can't change the process half way through because you don't like the result. And they also haven't proven fraud, although it's "interesting" how a candidate like Biden drove up enthusiasm in certain US cities but not in others. What I can see is a number of Republican legislatures now becoming aggressive on the votes - PA's state Senate has just blocked a Democratic Senator who won by 69 votes from taking his seat on the grounds his election is being challenged.
    Oh given how aggressive some states already were I'm sure itll be off the charts now. And Democrats will want to move quick and there may be wars of escalation.
    It's difficult at the Federal level because so much of the issue to do with voting evolves around the states. Even though Biden has control, bringing a Federal law on protecting votes like in the 1960s is going to be a nightmare.
    And the 6-3 conservative majority on SCOTUS will likely rule that many of the changes the Dems would like to make are unconstitutional, infringing states' rights etc.
    I think a voting rights act will need careful framing it's essentially Kavanaugh who will be the swing vote on that one. It's tricky, but possible to do.

I say Kav and not the other conservative justices because he's a touch more idiosyncratic than the very strict originalists that Gorsuch, Thomas, Alito and ACB are.
    Roberts's absolute pants on head decision in Shelby County theoretically makes it really easy to write the law to get the VRA as was back but for some odd reason I suspect we may find the Roberts suddenly finds some other portion suddenly unconstitutional as well.
    Get that ruling in the next 2 years and that should be casus belli to add a few new SCOTUS Justices added before the midterms.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    kle4 said:

MrEd said:

OllyT said:

MrEd said:

A potentially insecure system should be fixed. But it would need to be proportionate, which would depend also on proof of that insecurity being exploited.
    That's the thing, isn't it: if you prevent 1,000 legitimate voters from voting, to prevent one illegitimate vote, is that election security? Or is that voter suppression?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

He would have absolutely hammered her: remember, he got pretty close to Obama, hard not to think that he would done very well against the much more unpopular Clinton.

(Worth remembering that he got a much higher share of the vote than Trump did in either 2016 or 2020.)
    McCain would likely have hammered Gore in 2000 too, one February 2000 poll had it McCain 59% and Gore just 35% if McCain was the GOP nominee

I'd certainly agree with that.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    One of the guys just talked about "trial by combat" - I think he didn't mean literally
  • Options

JACK_W said:

CNN - Ossoff lead widens to 17K.

Winchester 1997.
    You're going to have to explain that one for me @Philip_Thompson
    I presume this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Winchester_by-election

Essentially - whining about the result of the previous election didn't go down well.
    Precisely.

The GOP should have been overwhelming favourites to win both of these run offs. A concession by Trump would have led to less interest by Democrat voters and a strong desire by Republicans to constrain Biden's incoming power.

Instead the whining has been far less that helpful and gifted the Democrats both of these seats.
    I think he wanted that, though perhaps subconsciously. He can argue the result is so unusual it must be fraud, punish Republicans for not backing him and claim hed have helped them more if they had helped him more, and stoke fear of triumphant Democrats with all control to maintain his base.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,010

Fck me, maybe the P&J is turning into a Nat mouthpiece!

https://twitter.com/pressjournal/status/1346510157681856512?s=20

Following their fishing and farming readership.
    A lot of Scottish institutions in recent times have changed their policy of measured disapproval toward the nat agenda to embracing it. At the very least, the SNP looks like the dominant Governing force in Scotland for a long time, and they're increasingly adept at using the levers of power to further their cause. Case of 'lie back and think of Scotland'. Whether it's a wise long term strategy remains to be seen.
    Not the media, though. If (and it’s extremely unlikely) the P&J were to be supportive of the SNP, they would be only the second daily newspaper to support them.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

HYUFD said:

In all fairness to Hancock, he gave a decent(ish) answer to a very good question from Harper.
    Hancock emphatically told Harper that vaccination numbers will not set our country free.

Government figures will.

And government figures can be manipulated.

If vaccination were the answer, the government would be setting out a timetable. They aren't. Why? you tell me.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I was trying to compile this stat earlier.

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1346834407626334209

Split themselves into more states. The sky is the limit, or rather how small the stars will be in the flag
    {Texas has entered the chat}
    Texas isn't sufficiently Republican to play that game, though.
    And if even a small section of your normally reliable vote think you're taking the piss, it could backfire massively.

You also have to consider the costs to states approving their own fragmentation. It's not exactly trivial.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408

HYUFD said:

JACK_W said:

Winchester 1997.
    Oaten won Winchester by 68% to 28% for Malone, Ossoff currently leads Perdue by just 50.2% to 49.8% with 98% in
    I think Purdue has to be within 5% to qualify for a recount.
    Yes, but:

1. Mark is brilliant. And no-one knew about the rentboys in 1997
    2. Apart from the 1945 landslide and a Whig in 1832, every single MP for Winchester had been a Tory since parties were invented.
    3. And it'd have stayed LibDem in 2010 if the boundary changes hadn't made Winchester a totally different place: Liz Leffman would have won it hands down if she hadn't stupidly chosen Meon Valley. "Far better than Cameron" the Tories had admitted in 2005. Even he thought she'd won when he saw the first few boxes.
    3. By comparison, Georgia was a pushover for the Dems. They've had one or both Georgia Senate seats continuously from 1873.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Nigelb said:

Roger said:

Alistair said:

Indeed. That's a bizarre attack from Nigel.

Plenty of PB Trumptons linger around, they are easy enough to identify.
    Indeed not. Brexiteers all of them. Some because of his strinkingly similar amoral behaviour to Boris some because they think he and Boris can be best friends in a post truth Brexity world.
    That's a strinklingly good neologism.
    It was wasn't it but just a happy accident I'm afraid! I've recently been working on a photographic book and I entitled a photograh 'Feeding the Geese'. Sounded innocent enough and accurately describes what the girl was doing..........
    Next time you misbehave, you're getting a sound strinking.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,472
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

Does anyone know where to find how Georgia's Military and Overseas Ballots split in the 2020 Presidential? My guess is that it went to Biden by a hair, but I'd like to confirm with real numbers.

What I read somewhere was military for Trump, overseas Biden but can't be 100% sure
    Pre the November election, the Military Times did a poll of active service men, and (for the first time ever), they showed the Republican trailing the Democrat.

President Trump made an enormous number of completely unforced errors. Calling people who died for their country "losers" and "suckers" was not smart. Slagging off a man who spent years - and this David Foster Wallace piece on McCain is worth reading - being tortured in a prisoner of war camp, rather than be sent home earlier than people who had been captured earlier, almost certainly hit him in Arizona.

The thing that really pushed them across the line was treatment of the CO of that aircraft carrier, I believe.

(yes, I said that)
    I think you mean demented self harming.

Consider - "COVID is a horrible risk. Buy a MAGA mask from my website. Buy lots. Only $25"

He would quite possibly have been re-elected. And made several billion dollars.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

HYUFD said:

In all fairness to Hancock, he gave a decent(ish) answer to a very good question from Harper.
    Hancock emphatically told Harper that vaccination numbers will not set our country free.

Government figures will.

If vaccination were the answer, the government would be setting out a timetable. They aren't. Why? you tell me.
    For god sake man. The numbers are not being manipulated. There is literally no motivation for the government to manipulate them. Do you think they want us in lockdown with the economy in the toilet? Think for once.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The SW Wilts Tory MP spotting the loophole in the government's vaccine promise - vaccinations offered is not the same, by any means, as vaccinations delivered

Hes my MP. An ultra loyalist but also a doctor so probably being sharp on the subject.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Split themselves into more states. The sky is the limit, or rather how small the stars will be in the flag
    Texas isn't sufficiently Republican to play that game, though.
    And if even a small section of your normally reliable vote think you're taking the piss, it could backfire massively.

You also have to consider the costs to states approving their own fragmentation. It's not exactly trivial.
    Hence why it won't happen. In Texas, or California (where is it suggested, every so often).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Government figures will.

You tell us why they want to destroy liberty and the economy first.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Roger said:

Alistair said:

Indeed not. Brexiteers all of them. Some because of his strinkingly similar amoral behaviour to Boris some because they think he and Boris can be best friends in a post truth Brexity world.
    On my list - the Dirty Dozen - 10 are Leavers. The exceptions are firstly a bit of an unusual poster, something of an enigma (even to me), and secondly one who was yearning to be proved right on his prediction. It would also be 13 - split 10/3 - if I included a hardish lefty who no longer posts who would have wanted Biden beaten as an example because he was centrist mush stopping the radical wing of the Dems having a shot at the top table.

But, yes, your postulated correlation holds.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

You would agree, then, that the Republicans are nailed on to win in 2024, seeing as a donkey in a red rosette could beat the spectacularly unpopular Kamala Harris, would will presumably be the incumbent and candidate for the democrats by then.

Except of course that won;t be the case.

• Options

JACK_W said:

Winchester 1997.
    You're going to have to explain that one for me @Philip_Thompson
    I presume this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Winchester_by-election

Essentially - whining about the result of the previous election didn't go down well.
    Precisely.

The GOP should have been overwhelming favourites to win both of these run offs. A concession by Trump would have led to less interest by Democrat voters and a strong desire by Republicans to constrain Biden's incoming power.

Instead the whining has been far less that helpful and gifted the Democrats both of these seats.
    The big question is now whether Warnock can hold in 2022.
    Combined with an Abrams run for governor, probably.
  • Options

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

(yes, I said that)

Consider - "COVID is a horrible risk. Buy a MAGA mask from my website. Buy lots. Only $25"

It seemed an obvious move. Christ, non trumpets might have worn them when supplies were low.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

(yes, I said that)

It seemed an obvious move. Christ, non trumpets might have worn them when supplies were low.
    "Buy them for your non-trumpet relatives! Buy them for everyone!"
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

You would agree, then, that the Republicans are nailed on to win in 2024, seeing as a donkey in a red rosette could beat the spectacularly unpopular Kamala Harris, would will presumably be the incumbent and candidate for the democrats by then.

You think Trump will run again? And win?

(That’s a reference to the ‘donkey in a red rosette’ comment.)
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

An early November 2016 Bloomberg poll also had Romney beating Hillary 50% to 40% had he been the GOP nominee rather than Trump while had Obama been able to run for a third term the poll found Obama would have beaten Trump 53% to 41%.

So basically 2012 had 2 top quality candidates, 2016 had 2 awful candidates

https://assets.bwbx.io/documents/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/rklCDpOEK78Q/v0
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Roberts has elevated the finagle to a constitutional principle
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    Yes Mr Shapps! Finger on the pulse! That's what we want to hear about from the Transport Secretary! Electric Buses

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1346844653413425153?s=20
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Government figures will.

For one reason, because people, whoever they are, get used to enormous power by decree. They like it. They don;t want to go back to all those pesky checks and balances. Not when they can do what they like with a wave of their hands.

That's why we have checks and balances. That's why we have parliament the courts and elections.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Government figures will.

For god sake man. The numbers are not being manipulated. There is literally no motivation for the government to manipulate them. Do you think they want us in lockdown with the economy in the toilet? Think for once.
    Power corrupts.

Absolute power, corrupts absolutely.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    Richard Burgon speaks.
  • Options
    Trump super spreader event playing 'In The Air Tonight'. It certainly is.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Government figures will.

Power corrupts.

For someone with absolute power, Boris Johnson makes an awfully large number of U-turns.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

HYUFD said:

Government figures will.

Power corrupts.

Very nice quote. Do you have that on your bedroom wall?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Bit of a large assumption that it will be Harris. Far more likely that Biden will be running in 2024 imho.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,654

HYUFD said:

Government figures will.

Power corrupts.

For someone with absolute power, Boris Johnson makes an awfully large number of U-turns.
    Bugger got in before me.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited January 2021

I think we might need to start making allowances for the fact that a huge number of Trumpers/GOPers will be dead by 2024 as they view Covid-19 as hoax, engage in super spreader events and decline the vaccine.

Even bigger Dem landslide in 2024 as Biden wins in places like Texas.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

I'm not sure about that.

Obama was a really impressive man, but more impressive from afar. I'd take absolutely nothing away from his achievement and am personally a big fan.

At home, though, his popularity rating in office was not great (actually his retrospective rating is far better in the US - he's managed his interventions very well since 2016). He presided in a tricky period economically (by far the best period was after his final election) and was articulate but rather elitist in style (like Romney, in fact). He got a kicking in the 2010 midterms and, while he was good enough to recover, he was always struggling to keep his head above water rather more than we in Europe appreciate.

As for Romney, he wasn't great. He didn't get that close to Obama in the end (the tight-ish polling flattered him somewhat). He was about as far away as Trump was to Biden in vote share, and further away in electoral votes - he needed to win several states to get the extra 64 he required. He was a fairly standard, adequate compromise candidate, with some strengths and quite a few weaknesses.

I also think you underestimate the extent Clinton's unpopularity was down to Trump being able to drag her into the gutter with him. Was Romney quite as ruthless, and would his attacks on her being a Washington insider who is part of the elite have hit home given "right back at you, Mitt"? Perhaps not. Trump's campaign was very effective because there was real force in arguing she was a big part of the swamp he wanted to drain... Romney would've, by necessity and design, have run much more of an "I am more competent than her" campaign, and actually I am not sure that would've done it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Government figures will.

For one reason, because people, whoever they are, get used to enormous power by decree. They like it. They don;t want to go back to all those pesky checks and balances. Not when they can do what they like with a wave of their hands.

That's why we have checks and balances. That's why we have parliament the courts and elections.
    That's still no answer as there is no explanation for why they would want to use their power to do this. A devastated economy won't endear people to the government if it is done without reason, and lacking a reason why do you think parliament will continue to grant this power? Obviously governments don't like checks and balances, but making up the severity of a pandemic on the rather ridiculous assumption that parliamentarians, and the public, will not push back at restrictions once there is no pressing need?

And, as has been often pointed out, like all such conspiracies it completely falls down as it requires the willing cooperation of thousands of people in this country alone, and hundreds of thousands acting in concert across the globe in their own countries, on a matter which is devasting economies and damaging lives.

Human beings aren't that cooperative. How much money would you need to keep quiet about such a conspiracy? Mutiply it by hundreds of thousands, then ask if it seems likely all those people are in on it.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981
    On topic, the GOP has just had a foretaste of what a Trumpian future would look like. The sane among them will be paying heed.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

Fck me, maybe the P&J is turning into a Nat mouthpiece!

https://twitter.com/pressjournal/status/1346510157681856512?s=20

Following their fishing and farming readership.
    A lot of Scottish institutions in recent times have changed their policy of measured disapproval toward the nat agenda to embracing it. At the very least, the SNP looks like the dominant Governing force in Scotland for a long time, and they're increasingly adept at using the levers of power to further their cause. Case of 'lie back and think of Scotland'. Whether it's a wise long term strategy remains to be seen.
    Not the media, though. If (and it’s extremely unlikely) the P&J were to be supportive of the SNP, they would be only the second daily newspaper to support them.
    I see the Tories have been caught lying again , after all their trumpeting about the extra £375M supposedly given to Scotland it turns out just as Scottish Government said , that they were lying and it was just their usual counting the same money multiple times. They have even went back and changed their press releases etc. What a bunch of deadbeats.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Bit of a large assumption that it will be Harris. Far more likely that Biden will be running in 2024 imho.
    Likely, but not 'far more'.
    Biden doesn't strike me as someone who, having achieved the top prize, has to hold on to it at all costs. If he no longer has the energy, I don't think he'll fight the inevitable.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

HYUFD said:

Government figures will.

Power corrupts.

Tends to.

Any more to tell us about all those empty ICU beds?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747
    edited January 2021
    Sunak hasn't been in the news for weeks, but gets a positive rating anyway.
  • Options
    I love the fact the MAGAs and Rudi love a seminal gay anthem

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1346845106310156290
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

John Mcain was a great American citizen .
    I was hoping he would become president even against Obama.
    I did not dislike Obama , and was great to have a black president.
    However imo he was overrated especially his speech making and dealing with foreign affairs.
    John Mcain telling that lady voter that she was wrong over her criticism over Obama race, was an example of such a great man.
    McCain was a very decent man. Trump losing Arizona after his appalling behaviour in the wake of his death was a small bit of justice.
  • Options
    Flanner said:

HYUFD said:

JACK_W said:

Winchester 1997.
    Oaten won Winchester by 68% to 28% for Malone, Ossoff currently leads Perdue by just 50.2% to 49.8% with 98% in
    I think Purdue has to be within 5% to qualify for a recount.
    Yes, but:

1. Mark is brilliant. And no-one knew about the rentboys in 1997
    2. Apart from the 1945 landslide and a Whig in 1832, every single MP for Winchester had been a Tory since parties were invented.
    3. And it'd have stayed LibDem in 2010 if the boundary changes hadn't made Winchester a totally different place: Liz Leffman would have won it hands down if she hadn't stupidly chosen Meon Valley. "Far better than Cameron" the Tories had admitted in 2005. Even he thought she'd won when he saw the first few boxes.
    3. By comparison, Georgia was a pushover for the Dems. They've had one or both Georgia Senate seats continuously from 1873.
    Eh?

The last Democratic Senate win for Georgia was in 2000, which was a special election with 4 years left on the term.

From 2004 onwards both Senators have been GOP.

Going back to the 19th century is misleading since the parties switched position. When it comes to race etc 19th Century Democrats are 21st Century Republicans and vice-versa.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

However imo he was overrated especially his speech making and dealing with foreign affairs.
    John Mcain telling that lady voter that she was wrong over her criticism over Obama race, was an example of such a great man.
    I recall around the time he voted against some Trump measure in the Senate and was getting plaudits, a number of rather huffy articles saying how people shouldn't get carried away and that he was still a bad man, but whilst no one's record is perfect it did seem to boil down to 'He is still a Republican and supports Republican policies'. Which I am sure was true, but doesn't detract from his willingness to act in that way, and other examples such as you state.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

I have a list of PBers who were either overtly or secretly rooting for Trump to beat Biden.

There are 12 names on it. The Dirty Dozen.
    I'm betting it includes those so secret, they have continuously said they wouldn't have voted for Trump in 2016 or 2020.... But clearly, they didn't mean it.
    Only if I smelt a rat, Mark.

Anyway, I note your swift reply. Interesting.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Excuse me! In my family the "donkey in the red rosette" notion was explicitly reserved for Denzil Davies, and Jim Griffiths before him!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Back above Italy now, but here's hoping for a dramatic improvement in the next few months.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Is it really too much to hope that Trump remains just enough of a political force to tear the GOP apart for the next 5 years?

It must be possible - and fine by me - but I think their need to be competitive will prevail.

I predict they will unearth a bright young thing.
    Alas, Barron Trump wont be eligible for many years.
    That's a funny reply but there is sadism in it. I will banish it from my mind if I can.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

kle4 said:

Stand by for the great states of East and West Dakota
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100k population

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    Quote from Giuliani at the Trumps rally:
    "I'm willing to stake my reputation on the fact that there is election fraud:"
  • Options
    UK local R

• Options

I think we might need to start making allowances for the fact that a huge number of Trumpers/GOPers will be dead by 2024 as they view Covid-19 as hoax, engage in super spreader events and decline the vaccine.

Even bigger Dem landslide in 2024 as Biden wins in places like Texas.
    I so want Biden to run again in 2024. Everyone, including probably him, are so certain he will be a one term president, that it will just be comedic for him to say, you know what, I think I'm doing a good job, I've got just as many marbles as I did in 2020, primary me if you want a go now.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    Andy_JS said:

I suspect therein lies your answer.

When Johnson falls on his sword and Gove makes a bid for the leadership, the Dominic Cummings revelations in support of Gove will include Sunak vetoing the September lockdown.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,043
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Alistair said:

On my list - the Dirty Dozen - 10 are Leavers. The exceptions are firstly a bit of an unusual poster, something of an enigma (even to me), and secondly one who was yearning to be proved right on his prediction. It would also be 13 - split 10/3 - if I included a hardish lefty who no longer posts who would have wanted Biden beaten as an example because he was centrist mush stopping the radical wing of the Dems having a shot at the top table.

But, yes, your postulated correlation holds.
    I hope @Dura_Ace is on your list: a PB Trumpton who wanted Trump to beat Biden for the lolz.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    deleted
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited January 2021
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

McCain was a fine fellow in many ways, but has subsequently been canonised by people because it annoys Trump in a way that isn't totally merited.

He was a Washington dealmaker with a nice back-story and a maverick street. He was a pretty decent chap but wasn't above political tricks and somewhat unfair vitriol about opponents - what politician is? Was he really head and shoulders above Bob Dole or Bush Snr, say? I don't think so.

And let's not forget his Sarah Palin gambit. It was a roll of the dice - and a reckless one too for an old man putting her a heartbeat from the presidency. Is that the sort of judgment that would've been ideal for the White House? Far better than the current occupant, of course. But he wasn't that great in reality.

I mean, RIP to a good man, but I'm not sure we missed out on one of the great Presidents.
  • Options
    I'll give this to contrarian, at least he is explaining his reasoning, as much as I disagree with it hugely.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    CNN - GOP State Elections Administrator - Ossoff will exceed the 0.5% recount threshold.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

glw said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yep. This is what I am opining will happen. He is net toxic to the GOP brand and so they need to have this battle and win it. Which they will (both) because the Republican party is bigger than any one man - they're not called the GOP for nothing - and they exist to win power not to service the ego of individuals.

Time to dig up the old strapline. Trump is Toast. Again.
    I always find it funny when the left give conservatives advice.
    Fair point. Which I have to say since I was making it myself in reverse the other day. But I am very objective for my ilk and the "advice" is sound. New American Dream v MAGA would be no contest in a polarized binary in 24. So the GOP will need to come up with something else. And I think they will.
    The day Trump leaves office any incentive due to party loyalty to provide cover or protection for Trump will end. The GOP will be just delighted to leave Trump to fight his own legal battles, without any assistance from the DOJ, Senate, etc.
    For the other point of view, there's also the question of whether Trump would even persist with much of an active political career, something that he avoided pursuing for most of 7 decades. The past 4 years and the run up to it are the exception, not the rule. He is a narcissist whose every action is taken to benefit himself. On 20th Jan he will once again revert to holding no elected office. He won't really care about those who would like to jump on his coat tails to benefit themselves, because it is hard to see how he could benefit personally by advancing their prospects. Maybe it would smooth his ego, but not his bank balance, so he won't be minded to put himself out beyond trying to settle a few grudges. I think his attitude also extends to his immediate family, who I think he cares little about other than how they can be used to benefit him personally, so why should he go out of his way to help them either? He may just go much the same way as an ageing mafia boss, and try and back away into semi-retirement, his main concern being to fend off attention from those who wish him harm, especially in his case the feds and state prosecutors.
    This is broadly my take. He will not stay a political force - and might not even try once it becomes clear it's not happening.

Keep an eye on his Twitter count. It's 88m now.
    Do bear in mind that a substantial (& growing minority) of Trump's Twitter followers are bots.

https://qz.com/1422395/how-many-of-donald-trumps-twitter-followers-are-fake/
    That's a good point actually. And it could work both ways. Bots could be used to prop up his headline count. Or there could be a mass bot exodus if those behind them get a better offer. One flick of a switch in one of the 'stans and boom (!) it's another 5m gone.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Yes Mr Shapps! Finger on the pulse! That's what we want to hear about from the Transport Secretary! Electric Buses

Given that a large portion of urban pollution is from ancient diesel buses coughing their way along - that is exactly the kind of thing the Transport Sec. should be on about....
    Imagine how much better if he announced they were being recharged every night with British tidal power....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005
    kle4 said:

Quote from Giuliani at the Trumps rally:
    "I'm willing to stake my reputation on the fact that there is election fraud:"

Sir, there is a minimum stake required to make a bet.
    There will always be some election fraud.

The issue is that Trump and co needed to find significant and sufficient enough examples of it to overturn 10,000+ majorities in multiple different states.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723

kle4 said:

Stand by for the great states of East and West Dakota
    I think the rules for dividing states are much tougher than adding new ones.
  • Options
    Positivity

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,043
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Sounds like the first line of a nursery rhyme.

John McCain was a great citizen
    He grew whiskers on his pits again

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

More importantly- data up to Sunday.

There's been an awful lot happen since then.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK Deaths

• Options
    UK R

From cases data

From hospitalisation data

• Options
    Age data

• Options
    Only in 2 weeks time though.

What kind of BS are Mitch and Trump going to get up to in the next fortnight now?

Bet they will try and ensure every single open Judicial appointment is filled.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,458

Given that a large portion of urban pollution is from ancient diesel buses coughing their way along - that is exactly the kind of thing the Transport Sec. should be on about....
    Great time to do it, too, given current demand for buses probably means electrifying Coventry and Oxford bus fleets requires purchase of only two vehicles (probably not practical to run both services on one bus due to the inter-city distances involved)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    This Trump March/rally is seriously fucked up. Sorry about language, but it’s appropriate. Never seen anything like it. 🥲America.
This discussion has been closed.