Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

With 98% of the votes counted the Dems looks set to gain both Georgia US Senate seats – politicalbet

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    kle4 said:

Trump super spreader event playing 'In The Air Tonight'. It certainly is.

I think we might need to start making allowances for the fact that a huge number of Trumpers/GOPers will be dead by 2024 as they view Covid-19 as hoax, engage in super spreader events and decline the vaccine.

Even bigger Dem landslide in 2024 as Biden wins in places like Texas.
    I so want Biden to run again in 2024. Everyone, including probably him, are so certain he will be a one term president, that it will just be comedic for him to say, you know what, I think I'm doing a good job, I've got just as many marbles as I did in 2020, primary me if you want a go now.
    I think it is highly likely.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,473
    UK case summary

today

yesterday

• Options
    kle4 said:

I'll give this to contrarian, at least he is explaining his reasoning, as much as I disagree with it hugely.

I have this theory (which is probably bollocks) that @contrarian is Peter Hitchens :)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Romney in all likelyhood would have thrashed Clinton.

He would have absolutely hammered her: remember, he got pretty close to Obama, hard not to think that he would done very well against the much more unpopular Clinton.

(Worth remembering that he got a much higher share of the vote than Trump did in either 2016 or 2020.)
    McCain would likely have hammered Gore in 2000 too, one February 2000 poll had it McCain 59% and Gore just 35% if McCain was the GOP nominee

https://edition.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/02/28/cnn.poll/index.html
    I'd certainly agree with that.
    You would agree, then, that the Republicans are nailed on to win in 2024, seeing as a donkey in a red rosette could beat the spectacularly unpopular Kamala Harris, would will presumably be the incumbent and candidate for the democrats by then.

Except of course that won;t be the case.

There's nothing nailed on about an election four years away, ever.

So, I'm not entirely sure what your point is.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,991
    F1: some New Year specials.

There's evens on Perez scoring over 8.5 podiums. I am zero percent tempted by this given the difficulty he'll face beating his team mate and the likely dominance of Mercedes, plus the potential for the calendar to be curtailed.

Hamilton is 2.37 for over 14.5 wins, which I also find unappealing.

Schumacher's 2.62 for over 2.5 points finishes, but the Haas was pretty terrible last year.

Bottas at 2.62 to be fastest qualifier at over 8.5 weekends is the most tempting so far. But he did have a habit of choking in 2020.

Alpine to be third is 8.5. An interesting bet... if I had a free bet I'd put it on this. Probably wouldn't put my own money on it. Hmm.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,191
    Interesting, thanks. This bit stood out:

In 1991, in France’s biggest public health scandal, the government was found to have knowingly administered transfusions with contaminated blood from people who were HIV positive to at least 1,200 haemophiliacs, which led to hundreds of deaths.

The French are certainly not alone in having suffered that scandal. But I've never heard anyone here connect that to vaccines. I think we're generally pretty trusting of government (even when we perhaps shouldn't be!), so hopefully should get most people vaccinated.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think we might need to start making allowances for the fact that a huge number of Trumpers/GOPers will be dead by 2024 as they view Covid-19 as hoax, engage in super spreader events and decline the vaccine.

I so want Biden to run again in 2024. Everyone, including probably him, are so certain he will be a one term president, that it will just be comedic for him to say, you know what, I think I'm doing a good job, I've got just as many marbles as I did in 2020, primary me if you want a go now.
    I genuinely think he might if he has quite good numbers and midterms, is enjoying life, and feels okay in himself. I think he's 80-90% in himself that he's run his last race, but I don't think he's totally closed it off.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005
    malcolmg said:

Fck me, maybe the P&J is turning into a Nat mouthpiece!

https://twitter.com/pressjournal/status/1346510157681856512?s=20

Following their fishing and farming readership.
    A lot of Scottish institutions in recent times have changed their policy of measured disapproval toward the nat agenda to embracing it. At the very least, the SNP looks like the dominant Governing force in Scotland for a long time, and they're increasingly adept at using the levers of power to further their cause. Case of 'lie back and think of Scotland'. Whether it's a wise long term strategy remains to be seen.
    Not the media, though. If (and it’s extremely unlikely) the P&J were to be supportive of the SNP, they would be only the second daily newspaper to support them.
    I see the Tories have been caught lying again , after all their trumpeting about the extra £375M supposedly given to Scotland it turns out just as Scottish Government said , that they were lying and it was just their usual counting the same money multiple times. They have even went back and changed their press releases etc. What a bunch of deadbeats.
    Job done - the initial press release gets the front page coverage - the correction is on page 72 under the gardening column.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    edited January 2021

kle4 said:

Really? I'm surprised. But I'm sure Harris will run a fine campaign when it is her turn at some point.

Edited
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336
    edited January 2021

kle4 said:

You think? I think it is as likely he won't serve the full 4 years. This is a seriously tough job and he is taking over in interesting times. He also has the serious disadvantage, compared with Trump, of actually giving a damn.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

FFUHD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

So does the GOP fall into civil war or does it reorganise and retake the House in 2022 ?

The GOP have got themselves into a dire position. Many of them know that the Trump core are batshit crazy / QAnon types but there are too many of them to ignore so they keep quiet because they are scared of them.

I don't see an easy path for any moderately sane Republican to win a GOP Primary. That's why we still have 10 GOP Senators about to humiliate themselves by still pretending Trump won the election.
    IDK, parties nearly always pick a moderate against an incumbent, not least because if the governing side isn't contested then politics enthusiasts vote in the opposition race, especially where there are open primaries. It's not clear that Trump will be willing and able to run, and if he's not then it's not clear that anybody similar can pull off what he did.
    In some cases you may be correct but I believe the GOP will be dancing to Trump's tune for the next 4 years.

Trump is a malign, vindictive and bullying individual who will take great pleasure in trying to destroy any Republican who has displeased him. The right really have taken the US into a very dark place and now the genii is out of the bottle it's not going to be easy to put it back.
    I totally share your opinion on the damage done but I do not think Trump & Clan will be the ongoing political force that many fear (or hope if they're on the dark side). Soon he will out of the White House. He'll be an impeached and disgraced one term ex-president with big legal and money troubles who managed the remarkable negative feat of failing to win a 2nd term after just 4 years of his party in power and while he's at it losing both houses of Congress to the hated other.

From 20 Jan his world will shrink beyond recognition. The difference between being the American president and not being the American president is almost as stark as that between being dead or alive. He'll lose all the trappings of that great office - the most important of which was to have his bullshit piped into people's heads 24/7. Supporters will drift away, not to be replaced by new ones. It will be one way traffic. Drip drip drip until what's left is something not to be taken seriously. He might even realize this himself before too long and concentrate just on cashflow and staying out of jail. Perhaps a deal? Not sure on that one. We'll see.

But Donald Trump the fearsome politician is over. No doubt there will be other grisly characters (the lizard Ted Cruz?) who will battle to own the MAGA space in the GOP, and one will prevail and be a live contender for the 24 nomination, but that person will not be called Trump and they won't be able to recreate what he did in 15/16 because that stunning achievement owed so much to his personal brand and persona. So they won't win the nomination. The Republican Party might look beyond the pale now but my money is on them detoxifying. Looking forward to the opening of the WH24 betting.
    I think even if Trump and Trump Jnr do not run in 2024 one of Pence or Cruz will be the GOP nominee, the GOP base are not going to pick an establishment and moderate 'RINO' as their nominee anytime soon
    Trump is a cult.* His support will wane now but it won't readily transfer anywhere and certainly not to traditional Republicans. The GoP has a massive problem, very much of its own creation. It will do well to avoid a long period in the wilderness.

* For the avoidance of doubt this is not a typo.
    It should be noted that the last time a party lost the White House after only 1 term, when Carter lost in 1980, it took the Democrats 12 years until Bill Clinton in 1992 before they won the White House again.

Which is not encouraging for the GOP, at least at the Presidential level
    It should be noted that the last time I flipped 3 tails in a row on a Wednesday when the President-elect's surname began with B, it was followed by a run of two heads and a tail.

Portentous.
    I may sue for passing off as me
    You should take it as a compliment. Even Sean has to run his own parody accounts.
    Well I suppose you have to be famous enough to be worth having a parody or impersonator of you in the first place
    It is a sign of blog celebrity. If a poster called "kuntibula" rocked up I'd be rather chuffed.

Now then, you're £25 in hock to me due to Georgia.

Should I come up with a couple of "double or quits" offers to ward off a settlement?
    Once 100% of the Georgia votes are in and it is confirmed there will be no recount in the Ossoff and Perdue race, then I will pay up. Or if there is a recount once it is completed and if the Ossoff result is upheld
    You don't want a '£50 or quits' even if I slew it in your favour like last time?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    An English Parliament would be a help, so England is finally recognised as an equal partner within the UK alongside Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland which already have their own Parliaments and Assembly as well as still electing MPs to Westminster
  • Options

Yes Mr Shapps! Finger on the pulse! That's what we want to hear about from the Transport Secretary! Electric Buses

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1346844653413425153?s=20

Ummm . . . yes.

Electric buses is surely literally in the Transport Secretaries portfolio?

Complaining about that is like complaining when the Culture Secretary speaks about TV Programmes disclaimers on Netflix.

Schapps is a numpty for reasons unrelated to this - and I could understand complaining if this is what the Home Secretary was talking about - but Transport Secretary talking about buses really should be par for the course shouldn't it?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Romney in all likelyhood would have thrashed Clinton.

He would have absolutely hammered her: remember, he got pretty close to Obama, hard not to think that he would done very well against the much more unpopular Clinton.

(Worth remembering that he got a much higher share of the vote than Trump did in either 2016 or 2020.)
    McCain would likely have hammered Gore in 2000 too, one February 2000 poll had it McCain 59% and Gore just 35% if McCain was the GOP nominee

https://edition.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/02/28/cnn.poll/index.html
    John Mcain was a great American citizen .
    I was hoping he would become president even against Obama.
    I did not dislike Obama , and was great to have a black president.
    However imo he was overrated especially his speech making and dealing with foreign affairs.
    John Mcain telling that lady voter that she was wrong over her criticism over Obama race, was an example of such a great man.
    This Rolling Stone article, from the 2000 election, on John McCain is excellent: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/david-foster-wallace-on-john-mccain-the-weasel-twelve-monkeys-and-the-shrub-194272/

(Being written by David Foster Wallace, it's also rather funny.)
  • Options
    I absolute think English indifference is a major, if not the major, cause of the downfall of the Union. It helps fuel nationalism in other areas and undermines fighting against it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005

F1: some New Year specials.

There's evens on Perez scoring over 8.5 podiums. I am zero percent tempted by this given the difficulty he'll face beating his team mate and the likely dominance of Mercedes, plus the potential for the calendar to be curtailed.

Hamilton is 2.37 for over 14.5 wins, which I also find unappealing.

Schumacher's 2.62 for over 2.5 points finishes, but the Haas was pretty terrible last year.

Bottas at 2.62 to be fastest qualifier at over 8.5 weekends is the most tempting so far. But he did have a habit of choking in 2020.

Alpine to be third is 8.5. An interesting bet... if I had a free bet I'd put it on this. Probably wouldn't put my own money on it. Hmm.

Nothing there is tempting in the slightest.

Alpine as third means it has to beat both Mclaren and Aston Martin and I just don't see it.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jonathan said:

This Trump March/rally is seriously fucked up. Sorry about language, but it’s appropriate. Never seen anything like it. 🥲America.

On this we are in complete agreement
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    Selebian said:

Yes Mr Shapps! Finger on the pulse! That's what we want to hear about from the Transport Secretary! Electric Buses

Given that a large portion of urban pollution is from ancient diesel buses coughing their way along - that is exactly the kind of thing the Transport Sec. should be on about....
    Great time to do it, too, given current demand for buses probably means electrifying Coventry and Oxford bus fleets requires purchase of only two vehicles (probably not practical to run both services on one bus due to the inter-city distances involved)
    We have one route through our community, with a half-hourly bus each way. I don't think I've seen more than 2 or 3 people on a bus other than just before Christmas, and before the pandemic there would be 10 times that.
    Clearly the services must be subsidised, but for how much longer?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

You think? I think it is as likely he won't serve the full 4 years. This is a seriously tough job and he is taking over in interesting times. He also has the serious disadvantage, compared with Trump, of actually giving a damn.
    This is what everyone said about Cameron though.

Age, not the tough job, is surely why he won't run again.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Alistair said:

I see we are back with the "Trump who got 2 of the 3 lowest Republican votes shares this millennium" is wildly popular line of thinking.

Wow, another leftist promising conservatives they still have a chance if only they select a candidate the left approves of.

I guess we can expect a great deal of this over the next two years.
    Well I'm a right winger who thinks Ronald Reagan was America's best postwar POTUS but I find Trump revolting and am glad the Democrats won.

Maybe right wingers finding Trump repellant should be taken seriously? Just an idea.
    You fibber, you are the most Trumpian poster on here. I guess you hope that saying you are anti-Trump makes you sound a little more human. Trump is a far right populist and so are you. If you were an American you would be wearing the hat and attending all his rallies and claiming the election was a fraud. You never have any real evidence for your stated views just right wing hunches, just like him. You are probably one of Donald Trump's love children
    Not by a long chalk is @Philip_Thompson 'the most Trumpian poster in here'.

I disagree with what PT says but you need to look elsewhere for PB Trump supporters. It isn't hard.
    Indeed. That's a bizarre attack from Nigel.

Plenty of PB Trumptons linger around, they are easy enough to identify.
    Indeed not. Brexiteers all of them. Some because of his strinkingly similar amoral behaviour to Boris some because they think he and Boris can be best friends in a post truth Brexity world.
    On my list - the Dirty Dozen - 10 are Leavers. The exceptions are firstly a bit of an unusual poster, something of an enigma (even to me), and secondly one who was yearning to be proved right on his prediction. It would also be 13 - split 10/3 - if I included a hardish lefty who no longer posts who would have wanted Biden beaten as an example because he was centrist mush stopping the radical wing of the Dems having a shot at the top table.

But, yes, your postulated correlation holds.
    I hope @Dura_Ace is on your list: a PB Trumpton who wanted Trump to beat Biden for the lolz.
    So who is going to be dragged out of the closet when @kinabalu publishes his list?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I was trying to compile this stat earlier.

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1346834407626334209

Split themselves into more states. The sky is the limit, or rather how small the stars will be in the flag
    {Texas has entered the chat}
    Stand by for the great states of East and West Dakota
    (Shouldn't it be North East Dakota and North West Dakota... and ditto for the South)
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

I see we are back with the "Trump who got 2 of the 3 lowest Republican votes shares this millennium" is wildly popular line of thinking.

Wow, another leftist promising conservatives they still have a chance if only they select a candidate the left approves of.

Well I'm a right winger who thinks Ronald Reagan was America's best postwar POTUS but I find Trump revolting and am glad the Democrats won.

Maybe right wingers finding Trump repellant should be taken seriously? Just an idea.
    You fibber, you are the most Trumpian poster on here. I guess you hope that saying you are anti-Trump makes you sound a little more human. Trump is a far right populist and so are you. If you were an American you would be wearing the hat and attending all his rallies and claiming the election was a fraud. You never have any real evidence for your stated views just right wing hunches, just like him. You are probably one of Donald Trump's love children

I disagree with what PT says but you need to look elsewhere for PB Trump supporters. It isn't hard.
    I have a list of PBers who were either overtly or secretly rooting for Trump to beat Biden.

There are 12 names on it. The Dirty Dozen.
    I'm betting it includes those so secret, they have continuously said they wouldn't have voted for Trump in 2016 or 2020.... But clearly, they didn't mean it.
    Bet you are on the list @MarqueeMark
    It's Sub Judice for obvious reasons. Although I can probably risk disclosing that you are one of those named. Can't see you suing.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

In 1991, in France’s biggest public health scandal, the government was found to have knowingly administered transfusions with contaminated blood from people who were HIV positive to at least 1,200 haemophiliacs, which led to hundreds of deaths.

The French are certainly not alone in having suffered that scandal. But I've never heard anyone here connect that to vaccines. I think we're generally pretty trusting of government (even when we perhaps shouldn't be!), so hopefully should get most people vaccinated.
    Another article I read on this topic was that the French don't trust doctors in a way that we and most Western Europe does.

There's been plenty of scandals where the medical professionals have ignored/covered up things.

A top French pharmaceutical company and a drugs watchdog went on trial in Paris on Monday over one of France’s largest-ever health scandals. The massive Mediator trial, named for a diabetes drug linked to at least 500 deaths, will last seven months.

Twenty-three defendants – 11 institutions and 12 individuals – face more than 2,600 plaintiffs in the trial, just some of the 4,981 victims an amphetamine-derived pill by Servier Laboratories marketed as Mediator. Introduced in 1976 for overweight type-2 diabetes patients, the drug was widely prescribed as an appetite suppressant to otherwise healthy people looking to lose weight. Investigating magistrates believe Servier “knowingly hid” properties of the amphetamine-derived drug and deliberately “concealed its harmful side-effects”.

The trial will seek to answer how a drug subject to safety alerts as early as the mid-1990s was allowed to remain on the market in France for 33 years, until 2009, long after it was yanked from pharmacists’ shelves in the United States, Spain and Italy.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190923-france-pharmaceutical-mediator-mammoth-trial-drugmaker-servier-regulator-scandal
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,059
    Brexit is and always was a Little Englander project.

David Cameron said it before the referendum and he was absolutely right.
  • Options

Ummm . . . yes.

Complaining about that is like complaining when the Culture Secretary speaks about TV Programmes disclaimers on Netflix.

Schapps is a numpty for reasons unrelated to this - and I could understand complaining if this is what the Home Secretary was talking about - but Transport Secretary talking about buses really should be par for the course shouldn't it?
    I suspect it is not so much the subject he is talking about as that another aspect of his portfolio, perhaps involving planes, is what people would prefer he talk about.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I don't think its dishonesty. I think its the fact that English voters (and Tory MPs) care more what happens in England than NI.

Quite frankly IDGAF what happens in NI, so long as NI voters can influence it in their own elections. Which is the case with Boris's deal.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, indeed.

And as Mr. HYUFD points out above, the political class' reluctance to consider England in the same way it does Scotland or Wales, where devolution's a great thing and a natural step and nobody ever even considered cutting those lands into pieces, is a major driver of English indifference and distance.

I was surprised in... the 2017 election, I think, when my mother was livid about the winter fuel allowance or suchlike being continued in Scotland (I think that was the policy) but not England.

Give England a Parliament, and reduce Westminster to Treasury, Defence, Foreign affairs and some Home matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Really? I'm surprised. But I'm sure Harris will run a fine campaign when it is her turn at some point.

Edited
    If Biden runs again, Harris would not challenge him
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited January 2021
    Jonathan said:

This Trump March/rally is seriously fucked up. Sorry about language, but it’s appropriate. Never seen anything like it. 🥲America.

I repeat: An exit poll from Georgia for CNN showed 75% of repubs think the Presidential election was stolen. Those are voters who turned up for the run=offs. Among those who stayed away it is probably higher.

Many millions of Americans think they have an illegitimate government and a sub third world electoral system.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

FFUHD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

So does the GOP fall into civil war or does it reorganise and retake the House in 2022 ?

The GOP have got themselves into a dire position. Many of them know that the Trump core are batshit crazy / QAnon types but there are too many of them to ignore so they keep quiet because they are scared of them.

I don't see an easy path for any moderately sane Republican to win a GOP Primary. That's why we still have 10 GOP Senators about to humiliate themselves by still pretending Trump won the election.
    IDK, parties nearly always pick a moderate against an incumbent, not least because if the governing side isn't contested then politics enthusiasts vote in the opposition race, especially where there are open primaries. It's not clear that Trump will be willing and able to run, and if he's not then it's not clear that anybody similar can pull off what he did.
    In some cases you may be correct but I believe the GOP will be dancing to Trump's tune for the next 4 years.

Trump is a malign, vindictive and bullying individual who will take great pleasure in trying to destroy any Republican who has displeased him. The right really have taken the US into a very dark place and now the genii is out of the bottle it's not going to be easy to put it back.
    I totally share your opinion on the damage done but I do not think Trump & Clan will be the ongoing political force that many fear (or hope if they're on the dark side). Soon he will out of the White House. He'll be an impeached and disgraced one term ex-president with big legal and money troubles who managed the remarkable negative feat of failing to win a 2nd term after just 4 years of his party in power and while he's at it losing both houses of Congress to the hated other.

From 20 Jan his world will shrink beyond recognition. The difference between being the American president and not being the American president is almost as stark as that between being dead or alive. He'll lose all the trappings of that great office - the most important of which was to have his bullshit piped into people's heads 24/7. Supporters will drift away, not to be replaced by new ones. It will be one way traffic. Drip drip drip until what's left is something not to be taken seriously. He might even realize this himself before too long and concentrate just on cashflow and staying out of jail. Perhaps a deal? Not sure on that one. We'll see.

But Donald Trump the fearsome politician is over. No doubt there will be other grisly characters (the lizard Ted Cruz?) who will battle to own the MAGA space in the GOP, and one will prevail and be a live contender for the 24 nomination, but that person will not be called Trump and they won't be able to recreate what he did in 15/16 because that stunning achievement owed so much to his personal brand and persona. So they won't win the nomination. The Republican Party might look beyond the pale now but my money is on them detoxifying. Looking forward to the opening of the WH24 betting.
    I think even if Trump and Trump Jnr do not run in 2024 one of Pence or Cruz will be the GOP nominee, the GOP base are not going to pick an establishment and moderate 'RINO' as their nominee anytime soon
    Trump is a cult.* His support will wane now but it won't readily transfer anywhere and certainly not to traditional Republicans. The GoP has a massive problem, very much of its own creation. It will do well to avoid a long period in the wilderness.

It should be noted that the last time a party lost the White House after only 1 term, when Carter lost in 1980, it took the Democrats 12 years until Bill Clinton in 1992 before they won the White House again.

It should be noted that the last time I flipped 3 tails in a row on a Wednesday when the President-elect's surname began with B, it was followed by a run of two heads and a tail.

Portentous.
    You should take it as a compliment. Even Sean has to run his own parody accounts.
    Well I suppose you have to be famous enough to be worth having a parody or impersonator of you in the first place
    It is a sign of blog celebrity. If a poster called "kuntibula" rocked up I'd be rather chuffed.

Should I come up with a couple of "double or quits" offers to ward off a settlement?
    Once 100% of the Georgia votes are in and it is confirmed there will be no recount in the Ossoff and Perdue race, then I will pay up. Or if there is a recount once it is completed and if the Ossoff result is upheld
    You don't want a '£50 or quits' even if I slew it in your favour like last time?
    No
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Wasn't there a "by" date in that prediction?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

I love the fact the MAGAs and Rudi love a seminal gay anthem

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1346845106310156290

You see @TSE, there is true inclusivity.

PS I think Guiliani lived with a gay couple for a while when he was divorcing
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Scott_xP said:

An England (excluding London) and Wales and County Antrim project technically, as Wales and Antrim also voted Leave like England
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

I think people will be likely to overestimate the longevity of the incumbent right after they have just won an election (or in this case days away from being inaugurated).
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes there was also a "if we don't take any action" in that prediction too.
  • Options
    Especially when it's not even one who seems to dislike Trump or think there are no concerns about the election. Just that the law is that Biden is now to be President.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, indeed.

And as Mr. HYUFD points out above, the political class' reluctance to consider England in the same way it does Scotland or Wales, where devolution's a great thing and a natural step and nobody ever even considered cutting those lands into pieces, is a major driver of English indifference and distance.

I was surprised in... the 2017 election, I think, when my mother was livid about the winter fuel allowance or suchlike being continued in Scotland (I think that was the policy) but not England.

Give England a Parliament, and reduce Westminster to Treasury, Defence, Foreign affairs and some Home matters.

I would be fine with that, you might even then have had Boris as UK PM and Hunt or Sunak as First Minister of England
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Little Wales too?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    Don't think Trump's turned up to his rally yet. Think he was due at 11am EST. Now nearly noon.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

An England (excluding London) and Wales and County Antrim project technically, as Wales and Antrim also voted Leave like England
    Yes, annoyingly. I suspect the Welsh in the less affluent areas will start to feel the effects of the loss of development money.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

This is what everyone said about Cameron though.

Age, not the tough job, is surely why he won't run again.
    But the tough job will age him faster. Look what happened to the last President to actually pay attention.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Especially when it's not even one who seems to dislike Trump or think there are no concerns about the election. Just that the law is that Biden is now to be President.
    I notice that the MAGAs never seem to be troubled by gainful employment, can turn up to berate a Senator, or attend a rally at the drop of a red cap.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ummm . . . yes.

I suspect it is not so much the subject he is talking about as that another aspect of his portfolio, perhaps involving planes, is what people would prefer he talk about.
    Perhaps, but all electric planes will take a bit longer to roll out. 😉
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Fascism with a good soundtrack.

Don't think Trump's turned up to his rally yet. Think he was due at 11am EST. Now nearly noon.

The Boris Johnson school of timekeeping.
  • Options
    Those people berating that senator represent a massive chunk of the republican party, if the polls are right. Massive.

The notion that the old republican party could win the votes of those people is for the birds. Totally.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724
    tlg86 said:

There is a lot of it about.

Mrs Foxy is surprised how many staff on covid ICU didn't want the vaccine. Some seriously crazy stuff on their WhatsApp group.
  • Options

I'm just thanking the heavens for whomever took the decision to ban firearms in Washington today
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

I repeat: An exit poll from Georgia for CNN showed 75% of repubs think the Presidential election was stolen. Those are voters who turned up for the run=offs. Among those who stayed away it is probably higher.

Many millions of Americans think they have an illegitimate government and a sub third world electoral system.
    That's almost entirely Trump's work, he's salted the earth for the GOP.
    The sub-thrd world electoral system W-A-Y predates Trump. 2000 and hanging chads, anyone?
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, that's alarming to hear.
  • Options
    Floater said:

I'm just thanking the heavens for whomever took the decision to ban firearms in Washington today
    CNN have zoomed out on the crowd, and it seems fairly small, thankfully.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited January 2021
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Split themselves into more states. The sky is the limit, or rather how small the stars will be in the flag
    I think the rules for dividing states are much tougher than adding new ones.
    Not really, it just needs the existing state to consent to a new state being created from part of its territory. It's happened several times before: Kentucky and West Virginia[1] from Virginia, and Maine from Massachusetts. Tennessee is often claimed to have been split from North Carolina, but the process was not quite the same as NC gave up its claim to what is now TN to the feds, who organized it as the Southwest Territory for a few years. Vermont is arguably a case too, as it was claimed by New York who dropped their claim in 1790 allowing it to be admitted the following year. Unlike Kentucky and Maine it had already organized itself into a de facto independent republic which was admitted as a state.

[1] This was the "iffy" one, as undivided Virginia had seceded to the Confederacy. State legislators from the NW counties that stayed loyal to the Union declared themselves to be the legitimate legislature of Virginia and voted to allow their counties to secede
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,309
    kle4 said:

Quote from Giuliani at the Trumps rally:
    "I'm willing to stake my reputation on the fact that there is election fraud:"

Sir, there is a minimum stake required to make a bet.
    and you can't stake what you have already bet.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Exactly. He dropped her red lines and agreed a much easier deal to do. A piece of cake deal in fact. Then sold it as an against-the-odds triumph of hardball and negotiating panache. Pulled this trick twice. In 2019 with the WA. Last month with the FTA. The first won him an election and the power to do the 2nd. The gullibility of people is disappointing but, still, you have to say - what a player.
  • Options

Those people berating that senator represent a massive chunk of the republican party, if the polls are right. Massive.

The notion that the old republican party could win the votes of those people is for the birds. Totally.
    People can surprise. A lot of people really liked Corbyn, and they liked him a lot. And yet that same group, overall, supported Starmer withdrawing the whip, and not restoring it. He's still liked by a fair number, but he's a much reduced figure.

I think Trump has a firmer hold on his audience than Corbyn had on his, and more opportunities to disrupt the establishment Republicans, if we'll call them that, through primaries and the like, but it doesn't mean it is impossible that his influence could wane as he loses his power.
  • Options
    F8ck me considering how people want generally to get on with their lives, 56% is astonishingly low. Astonishingly low.

Jeez
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724

kle4 said:

Ummm . . . yes.

Perhaps, but all electric planes will take a bit longer to roll out. 😉
    Presumably flying will take longer than merely rolling...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266

Scott_xP said:

Little Wales too?
    We are completely subservient to our feudal English masters.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749
    Boris Johnson agreeing to put a border in the Irish Sea was to me, the one truly unexpected outturn from Brexit. I guess it's the Mad Man theory so beloved of Dominic Cummings. The whole point of Mad Man is that the other side is supposed to go "OMG! We can't have that. Let's give you what you want.". Instead of "Fine by us!"
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936
    If you want to see a MAGA meltdown in the chat, this is probably the stream you want for the ECV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6wRKZFBFeQ&ab_channel=RightSideBroadcastingNetwork
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    It's nice that the Trump children all seem so close with their father that they stump for him politically, but do they not have their own lives and interests? The one benefit to him not being president should be they no longer have to get involved in politics - it's not like they did much before.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,191
    Only 90% of Dems is more worrying!
  • Options

Has he flown to Scotland?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

That's almost entirely Trump's work, he's salted the earth for the GOP.
    Salt is good, you need it to live and they used to use it as currency, so they should thank him. Carthago delenda what now?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,473
    Silver *shirts* would be more historical, though....
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    “Does that still matter in this country?”

He’s hit the nail on the head there.

Trumpism is a kind of post-religious cult.
  • Options
    Donald has more flags than Boris, Nicola and Kier combined.
  • Options

Has he flown to Scotland?
    Funny if he's done the old dictator's trick of fleeing the country, right before the Army moves in.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

(Shouldn't it be North East Dakota and North West Dakota... and ditto for the South)
    IF England can have West Bromwich West, then surely America can have West West Virginia!

(Are you paying attention, TSE???)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

They're half right too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

FFUHD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Portentous.

No
    Ok. Good call.
  • Options
    Mic fail. 😂
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021

Floater said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes there was also a "if we don't take any action" in that prediction too.
    Also it wasn't mocked for 200 deaths, it was the 3000 daily deaths slide...which was later removed as they accepted it was incorrect...the error bars were nonsense, as they played fast and loose taking an earlier model and presented it as prediction starting from the next day, which meant it had these huge error bars (as it was based on a model that had spat out the prediction weeks before, and was wrong).

The early slide was the 50k recorded cases a day by mid November, which was also wrong.

Fucking fake news media.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

I have a list of PBers who were either overtly or secretly rooting for Trump to beat Biden.

There are 12 names on it. The Dirty Dozen.
    I'm betting it includes those so secret, they have continuously said they wouldn't have voted for Trump in 2016 or 2020.... But clearly, they didn't mean it.
    Bet you are on the list @MarqueeMark
    It's Sub Judice for obvious reasons. Although I can probably risk disclosing that you are one of those named. Can't see you suing.
    I know I'm not on it, because I have consistently said on here since 2016 there's no way I could have voted for Trump.

Or either of his opponents.

Hillary was a terrible candidate. Dire.Thankfully the title of first woment President wasn't sullied by having her attached to that bit of history.

And "Not being Trump" wouldn't have been enough reason for me to vote for Biden.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    I'm thinking we are likely to go over 2,000 deaths/day this month. Others agree?
  • Options
    The nice thing about an ultrawide monitor is I can have Trump on one half and CNN on the other
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Jonathan said:

Fucking golf!
  • Options
    Is this the bit where Trump tells the crowd to storm Congress and shoot the Democrats?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

I love the fact the MAGAs and Rudi love a seminal gay anthem

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1346845106310156290

You see @TSE, there is true inclusivity.

PS I think Guiliani lived with a gay couple for a while when he was divorcing
    With Rudi must be specific WHICH divorce you are talking about. Same as when referring to PM's unacknowledged child.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    ping said:

He really didn't

The American system has given to their citizens, by common consent even on here, an electoral system that to be called third world is a massive insult to the third world.

The courts in almost every case would not let Trump even set out the weak evidence he did have.

Why would Americans have any confidence in any of their institutions now?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

kle4 said:

I notice that the MAGAs never seem to be troubled by gainful employment, can turn up to berate a Senator, or attend a rally at the drop of a red cap.
    Was it here a week or two back before the $600 stimulus checks finally passed that someone posted a tweet reporting a Trumpist bemoaning that he couldn't afford to go to DC to protest on the 6th without the money?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

IF England can have West Bromwich West, then surely America can have West West Virginia!

(Are you paying attention, TSE???)
    Green Street Green Road!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,816
    Omnium said:

Jonathan said:

Fucking golf!
    And the bigliest Saltire (on a pole at Turnberry that must be marked as a hazard on the Prestwick airport flight charts).
  • Options

kle4 said:

I genuinely think he might if he has quite good numbers and midterms, is enjoying life, and feels okay in himself. I think he's 80-90% in himself that he's run his last race, but I don't think he's totally closed it off.
    I think it will depend on his differential numbers cf Kamala and his health. If it looks like he has the better chance AND he's fit, I would expect him to run. He could be someone who is prepared to voluntarily relinquish great power but it would be unusual. His odds will be interesting when the WH24 market forms.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    Exactly. He dropped her red lines and agreed a much easier deal to do. A piece of cake deal in fact. Then sold it as an against-the-odds triumph of hardball and negotiating panache. Pulled this trick twice. In 2019 with the WA. Last month with the FTA. The first won him an election and the power to do the 2nd. The gullibility of people is disappointing but, still, you have to say - what a player.
    May had the wrong red line. Boris fixed it.

May's priority was no distinction between England and GB, despite the fact that Stormont exists.

Boris's priority was for GB to be free from Europe - and that Stormont must control whether NI continues under its arrangements.

If it was so "easy" to negotiate Stormont being able to unilaterally end NI's special arrangements then why didn't May negotiate that? Throughout May's tenure the EU were explicit there must never be a unilateral end to the backstop as a backstop with a way out is not a backstop in their eyes. That changed when Boris negotiated with them.
  • Options
    Trump is utterly barking and very dangerous as he winds up his supporters live on TV

This is frankly disgusting and does make you 'weep' for the people of the US
  • Options

ping said:

He really didn't

The American system has given to their citizens, by common consent even on here, an electoral system that to be called third world is a massive insult to the third world.

The courts in almost every case would not let Trump even set out the weak evidence he did have.

Why would Americans have any confidence in any of their institutions now?
    The courts would let Trump set out evidence.

The problem was he didn't have any. If he'd set any out it would have been in the submission - you need to include evidence in your submission.
  • Options
    This is utterly grim reading. NHS capacity is overtopped, at least in this hospital, and doctors clearly making life and death decisions they shouldn't (and shouldn't have to) take.

https://unherd.com/2021/01/inside-the-covid-ward/
  • Options
    edited January 2021

ping said:

Eh? You generally have to provide enough to justify it being looked into so there is a chance of success, surely? It's not an unreasonable bar to have - if a case is without merit it doesn't require further attention.

If it had happened once or twice that might be of concern, but as it happened dozens upon dozens of times from courts up and down the land, I think the cases got thoroughly tested.
This discussion has been closed.