Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump’s desperate attempt to bully the Georgia Secretary of State shows the lengths he’ll go to hang

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Ha I bet all you people who said Johnson would be following Sturgeon by 5pm tonight feel pretty fucking stupid now.
    I bet huge quantities of virtual money that there will be a delay in bringing in the new measures. It won't be midnight tonight.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited January 2021

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Tbh, even Nicola is failing the border test. Why hasn't Scotland closed its airports and opened checkpoints into Scotland from England with rapid testing stations. Something like that would be perfectly reasonable at this time. It might even shock Westminster into acting, keeping the border with Scotland open is far more important than keeping the border open with RoW. The UK should be an impenetrable fortress at this point a year after we first realised this was going to be awful.

Foreign travel isn't devolved
    Hasn't stopped Guernsey. Test on arrival. Mandatory self quarantine. £10,000 fine for breaches. Test on Day 14. If you don't want to take a test, mandatory quarantine for 21 days. 8 current cases in total - all caught through "Test on arrival".

You're not part of the UK.
    The UK government is responsible for foreign relations.

This is a Public Health (which is devolved to Scotland) issue.
    Indeed. No reason why ScotGov can’t close the airport itself on public health grounds, or mount checkpoints on all roads out.
    Or require negative PCR test before leaving the airport.
    Or implement mandatory quarantine. It seems on this one, the four Governments are very much in step.
    That’s what Australia are doing, and it’s working. Any arrivals, from anywhere, 14 days in a dedicated hotel at your expense (or a barrack house, if you don’t want to pay).

No exceptions, no excuses.

I know people who went to the antipodes because someone died in their family, and missed the funerals because of quarantine. We need to do this, as much as I hate arguing for such draconian restrictions.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,474
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh:

"That is just utter nonsense. Firstly like many I have no control over who I elect and I did have a vote for the European parliament. The only difference between us and the EU was that our executive comes (largely but not exclusively eg Lords) from an elected parliament rather than being appointed. However in many democracies the executive is appointed (eg USA, London Mayor) and monitored by the elected representatives. These are just different types of democracies and it is debatable that ours is superior. I think many would argue it is inferior at it nearly always results in what many call an elected dictatorship with conflicted roles between the executive and those elected to pass laws and monitor the executive.

So I have no power whatsoever to get rid of a Govt, but I have lost the right to do many things. Actual tangible things."

"The only difference between us and the EU was that our executive comes (largely but not exclusively eg Lords) from an elected parliament rather than being appointed"

I mean, listen to yourself. Jeez

Maybe it would be useful if you actually stated what was inaccurate in that statement. Do you think the USA is not a democracy? It has an appointed executive?
    The Americans just kicked out President Trump. Thank F*ck. Because he's an awful president.

No European citizen will ever get the chance to throw out President von der Leyen. Or Charles Michel. Or any of the other four EU presidents. Or is it five? Ten? It is so easy to forget.
    To be fair the Commission President is now supposed to come from the party with the largest number of elected MEPs in the European Parliament
    No, not any more. You're talking of the Spitzenkandidat process, I believe. An attempt to make the EU a shade less undemocratic.

Trouble is, at the last go, the EU decided to just dump the Spitzenkandidat process, making the EU even less democratic again.

Was anyone consulted? As in, the people of Europe? No, of course not.

https://www.politico.eu/article/who-killed-the-spitzenkandidat-european-parliament-election-2019-transition/

"It’s a Brussels murder mystery that would flummox even Hercule Poirot: Who killed the Spitzenkandidat?

"Accusations are flying over the death of the “lead candidate” system for choosing the president of the European Commission, the EU’s most powerful job. It’s a crime story that’s also a political drama — played out over multiple summits including a day-and-night marathon earlier this week — about how the European Union should be governed."

That, in a nutshell, is Why Brexit.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Other than closing schools what is the difference between what NS has just annouced for Scotland compared to Tier 4 in England?

Its depressingly hard to work out but in Scotland the religious exemption is gone. Travel for education is no longer possible, nor training. It's mainly schools tbh.

One thing that we must learn from this disaster is that attempts by politicians to fine tune restrictions and frequent changes of rules is hugely and completely counter-productive resulting in far less compliance and effectiveness. One can see the attraction, especially from the Treasury, but it is just not worth it.
    The strange one about Scotland is kids are still able to mix in playgrounds outside of school. If kids are now being considered a primary route of transmission between families surely this is a rather dangerous loophole?
    It's outdoors. Not so long close to the same people as when sat in a classroom.
    Also, I doubt outdoor playgrounds are that popular in Scotland in January, anyway
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,128

algarkirk said:

MaxPB said:

Tbh, even Nicola is failing the border test. Why hasn't Scotland closed its airports and opened checkpoints into Scotland from England with rapid testing stations. Something like that would be perfectly reasonable at this time. It might even shock Westminster into acting, keeping the border with Scotland open is far more important than keeping the border open with RoW. The UK should be an impenetrable fortress at this point a year after we first realised this was going to be awful.

It's quite viable as there are surprising few border crossings.
    Only 5 or so major roads crossing from England to Scotland but 20+ minor ones.

From memory someone on here calculated it at 31, which includes farm tracks and the like which are navigable via car albeit very remote in some cases. Not too many all in all!
    I would be happy to see that list again.
    This is a decent candidate as one of the most remote/obscure crossings.

https://goo.gl/maps/dCzv6uxRy628xVKx8
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,145

What Jane really wants is Kamps and barbed wire.

She wants a competent PM to deliver a coherent message.

Sadly we get neither
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670

algarkirk said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

"Danish firm DFDS launch new direct cargo service between Ireland & France to bypass the UK. The first ship today carried over 100 trucks & the service is already over-subscribed. Hauliers say the route is longer but avoids Brexit red-tape they would otherwise experience on the UK route."

Suppose it will keep the queues down!

Keeps the traffic down on UK roads. No issue with that.
    Well absolutely. I think I made that point, but doesn't it just maybe make you think 'well maybe it has cost and competitive issues for UK companies exporting and UK customers of EU products if Irish hauliers prefer a mega sea journey.
    Marginally, so be it. We already have marginal cost issues by using a different currency but the benefits outweigh the costs.

Plus of course the Irish potentially need to do the paperwork twice, whereas the Brits only need to do it once.
    I agree with all of your reply Philip except one. What are these benefits? I mean actual benefits not abstract ones Iike sovereignty. I can list a whole lot of benefits I have personally lost. I can not think of a single benefit I have gained.
    You can now throw out (or elect), via the ballot box, all the people who make the crucial political decisions that govern your life.

Take the Covid vaccine. The UK government is entirely responsible for buying, distributing and injecting this stuff into our arms. If they fuck it up, vote them out. If they do well, re-elect them, should you so wish.

The EU however, via the Commission, decided to do an EU-wide scheme, launched on the same day, which some have found seriously flawed and laborious.

If you're an EU citizen angry about this, how do you democratically punish those responsible? You can't.
    That is just utter nonsense. Firstly like many I have no control over who I elect and I did have a vote for the European parliament. The only difference between us and the EU was that our executive comes (largely but not exclusively eg Lords) from an elected parliament rather than being appointed. However in many democracies the executive is appointed (eg USA, London Mayor) and monitored by the elected representatives. These are just different types of democracies and it is debatable that ours is superior. I think many would argue it is inferior at it nearly always results in what many call an elected dictatorship with conflicted roles between the executive and those elected to pass laws and monitor the executive. Our Parliament for the most part (except when hung) is pretty powerless.

So I have no power whatsoever to get rid of a Govt, but I have lost the right to do many things. Actual tangible things.
    " I have no control over who I elect" is not a great argument. The rest of the arguments aren't much better.

Also "However in many democracies the executive is appointed (eg USA."

Executive power in the USA is vested in the President. I believe they just had an election of some sort for him.
    Rather misses the point I was making. I gave an example, it was not supposed to be identical. I doubt there is one. No democracy is perfect and there are many different types, but to suggest we have a democracy and the EU doesn't was the point I was responding to.

We have a democracy. It isn't perfect. So does the EU. It also isn't perfect.

How is 'I have no control over who I elect not a great argument'. I am not alone in thinking FPTP is a very poor system which disenfranchises a significant number of the population.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

I feel desperately sorry for the children of today.
    Did you really enjoy school that much?
    People who are 'serious' about Corona really are extremely flippant about the incredibly important issue of the education of the next generation.

A generation which will face enormous economic challenges, thanks to the actions of the previous ones.

• Options
    8pm? So won't be in effect from midnight tonight. An additional day or two of delay where people set out to cram in all the things they won't be allowed to do.

As for travel in Scotland my understanding is that the entire mainland is Tier 4 so essential travel only. Easy for the police to enforce. What about the border? Can only find a few relevant traffic cams and the A68 and A1 look absolutely dead.

Checks should be doable:
    B7076 - close the road west of the M6 junction
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    Two minor roads to stop up
    A7 checkpoint
    Stop up the B6318 & 7 minor roads
    A68 checkpoint - admittedly Carter Bar isn't going to be a pleasant posting in winter but plenty of space
    Stop up the B6352, B6396, B6350 and a minor road, diverting all traffic towards
    A697 Coldstream checkpoint
    Stop up the B6470, B6461, A6105
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint
  • Options
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Scotland can't close the Airports.

The restrictions make it illegal to travel to the airport but she can't stop the planes. That's a UK competence.
    Ah a bit like independence referenda are the competence of the UK government.

So why is Sturgeon likely to do one and not the other?

Is it she cares more about independence than Covid-19?
    Getting a bit logically confused there. PBTory doctrine is that Ms S won't go for an illegal referendum.
    Do you disagree? Genuinely interested.
    If she wants to attract voters such as you or at least the kind of New Town and Broughty Ferry professionals who are as hard hit emotionally and practically as some of my family ... but I just don't see any point in speculating yet. I'd say (a) it depends on the nature of illegality if any - and that has not yet been tested in Scotland (remember the court cases associated with prorogation); and (b) the political situation down the line. And (like the new hotel in St James's) Brexit still hasn't worked its way out and into the pan, so to speak, so the full majesty of the steaming turd has not yet been made manifest. I don't see much point in doing one's sums until one sees how things pan out (again so to speak).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Assuming this is accurate, the cabinet had virtually all of the evidence that made this decision inevitable a week since - and the data for school age children being one of the biggest driver of household infection at least another week before that.

Instead of having a fortnight to plan remote learning, we've spent half that time arguing about whether testing in schools is remotely practical, and the other half arguing about whether they should or shouldn't open at all in January.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,139
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

And February...and probably March.....

Someone accused me earlier of being depressed. And I - correctly - said I wasn't. Now, I dunno.....

EDIT: I have no idea why my laptop has gone mad with its quoting. Maybe it is a secret antivaxxer

There's that bogus stat that the 4th Monday in January or thereabouts is the most depressing day of the year. Even in a normal year.
    Blue Monday is 18th January this year.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh:

"That is just utter nonsense. Firstly like many I have no control over who I elect and I did have a vote for the European parliament. The only difference between us and the EU was that our executive comes (largely but not exclusively eg Lords) from an elected parliament rather than being appointed. However in many democracies the executive is appointed (eg USA, London Mayor) and monitored by the elected representatives. These are just different types of democracies and it is debatable that ours is superior. I think many would argue it is inferior at it nearly always results in what many call an elected dictatorship with conflicted roles between the executive and those elected to pass laws and monitor the executive.

So I have no power whatsoever to get rid of a Govt, but I have lost the right to do many things. Actual tangible things."

"The only difference between us and the EU was that our executive comes (largely but not exclusively eg Lords) from an elected parliament rather than being appointed"

Maybe it would be useful if you actually stated what was inaccurate in that statement. Do you think the USA is not a democracy? It has an appointed executive?
    The Americans just kicked out President Trump. Thank F*ck. Because he's an awful president.

No European citizen will ever get the chance to throw out President von der Leyen. Or Charles Michel. Or any of the other four EU presidents. Or is it five? Ten? It is so easy to forget.
    To be fair the Commission President is now supposed to come from the party with the largest number of elected MEPs in the European Parliament
    No, not any more. You're talking of the Spitzenkandidat process, I believe. An attempt to make the EU a shade less undemocratic.

Trouble is, at the last go, the EU decided to just dump the Spitzenkandidat process, making the EU even less democratic again.

https://www.politico.eu/article/who-killed-the-spitzenkandidat-european-parliament-election-2019-transition/

"It’s a Brussels murder mystery that would flummox even Hercule Poirot: Who killed the Spitzenkandidat?

"Accusations are flying over the death of the “lead candidate” system for choosing the president of the European Commission, the EU’s most powerful job. It’s a crime story that’s also a political drama — played out over multiple summits including a day-and-night marathon earlier this week — about how the European Union should be governed."

Sadly looks like you were right, so the President remains appointed by backroom deals.

Juncker ironically was the only Spitzenkandidat after the 2014 European Parliament election results and therefore the only democratically elected European President, even if indirectly
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

People who are 'serious' about Corona really are extremely flippant about the incredibly important issue of the education of the next generation.

A generation which will face enormous economic challenges, thanks to the actions of the previous ones.

There are costs to them not to be flippant about. It does not follow that no one has considered those costs and reluctantly concluded it is a least worsr option.
  • Options
    Premier league and all other football stopped.?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,012
    We need to get well into Spring before exposing that amount of flesh.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

"Danish firm DFDS launch new direct cargo service between Ireland & France to bypass the UK. The first ship today carried over 100 trucks & the service is already over-subscribed. Hauliers say the route is longer but avoids Brexit red-tape they would otherwise experience on the UK route."

Suppose it will keep the queues down!

Keeps the traffic down on UK roads. No issue with that.
    Well absolutely. I think I made that point, but doesn't it just maybe make you think 'well maybe it has cost and competitive issues for UK companies exporting and UK customers of EU products if Irish hauliers prefer a mega sea journey.
    Marginally, so be it. We already have marginal cost issues by using a different currency but the benefits outweigh the costs.

Plus of course the Irish potentially need to do the paperwork twice, whereas the Brits only need to do it once.
    I agree with all of your reply Philip except one. What are these benefits? I mean actual benefits not abstract ones Iike sovereignty. I can list a whole lot of benefits I have personally lost. I can not think of a single benefit I have gained.
    Sovereignty is the benefit.

Ah you say that is abstract, but so what? It will be for governments we elect to turn it into actual benefits and how it will turn into actual benefits will evolve over time depending upon which governments.

There is no right answer apart from sovereignty. We might elect a more liberal government than the EU - or a more authoritarian one. We might elect a more socialist government - or a more dry Conservative one.

The choice is ours. The future isn't written yet.

The first formal divergence was the abolition of the tampon tax, which was illegal under EU law. It won't be the last one.
    Well tampon tax I will give you, but sovereignty really? I am interested in personal freedoms and I can think of a hell of a lot of things I can't do now that I could before and nothing that I can do that I couldn't before.
    Enjoying sovereignty in the abstract is the political equivalent of sitting around smelling your own farts. Making it harder for other Europeans to move here and making it harder for us to move to the EU is the principal effect of Brexit. If you think that's a net positive then that is your benefit. If not, there really is no practical benefit.
    Yep. It's harder for things (including people) to move about. That's a definite benefit if you thought it was too easy before. Other benefit is gradual repatriation of fish. Then you struggle. I have a couple of outre ones of less bloated City and cheaper houses but this is a rather indirect, non-sovereigny way to achieve those.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited January 2021
    Not when Nicola does it no.

But it is when Boris does.

https://twitter.com/gorbalsgoebbels/status/1346102857636962316?s=20
  • Options
  • Options

Alistair said:

There we go, Nicolas statement finished. In about 3 shambolic days that will be the England plan.

Why? Has she closed the border.

If not it should not be the plan.

Close the effing border Boris. Then it is your own plan. Listen to Hunt.

(I feel absolutely awful saying close the border)
    It's defacto closed but she can't actually really close it.
  • Options

Why? They played in the last lockdown. They might welcome a break but they seem to have a process that works.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,777
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Here we go......2 days too late. Lets hope it isn't another I am announcing this evening that from a week on Thursday....
    Well at least he has managed to do it on the same day as Sturgeon, and at a better time for maximum TV news-drama. So he won't look like the usual Johnny cum lately.

Oh God. Full lockdown in January. Grisly.
    And much of Feb I suspect.

But we were all saying on here well before Christmas that this is what the New Year would require. And lo....
    It was really obvious as soon as it became clear how much more infectious the new variant was. The lack of obvious preparation since that time (roughly mid December) seems pretty suboptimal.
    That 'suboptimal' is being made to work very hard there David.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Other than closing schools what is the difference between what NS has just annouced for Scotland compared to Tier 4 in England?

Its depressingly hard to work out but in Scotland the religious exemption is gone. Travel for education is no longer possible, nor training. It's mainly schools tbh.

One thing that we must learn from this disaster is that attempts by politicians to fine tune restrictions and frequent changes of rules is hugely and completely counter-productive resulting in far less compliance and effectiveness. One can see the attraction, especially from the Treasury, but it is just not worth it.
    Indeed. The Scottish situation has chopped and changed much less than in England - for one thing we had a decent nmumber of levels to begin with unlike down south, though PBTories criticised that virulently as I recall.
    Still too much though. In Angus we have chopped and changed a lot and our proximity to Dundee, which has rightly been in a higher category most of the time, has added to the confusion.

As I say, I can understand the temptation. We have a village pub that may not survive this and which invested heavily in outdoor benches, heaters, etc only to be shut down again when we went back to Dundee's level. But it just doesn't work. Simple rules consistently applied is what is required.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

Here are my predictions for the Johnson press conference:

1. Ridiculously ruffled hair.
    2. Schoolboy smirk.
    3. 'Comedy' analogy.
    4. Total failure to convince.

There will be "alas" aplenty.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,337

8pm? So won't be in effect from midnight tonight. An additional day or two of delay where people set out to cram in all the things they won't be allowed to do.

As for travel in Scotland my understanding is that the entire mainland is Tier 4 so essential travel only. Easy for the police to enforce. What about the border? Can only find a few relevant traffic cams and the A68 and A1 look absolutely dead.

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A68 checkpoint - admittedly Carter Bar isn't going to be a pleasant posting in winter but plenty of space
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

It doesn't sound too hopeful for your planned move RP. Or is that exempted?
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    rkrkrk said:

One thing I hadn't realized is how much better Scotland has done at a macro level at keeping down corona cases.

Unless I'm reading it wrong - they reckon only 2.46% confirmed cases vs. >4% in the other nations (almost 5% in Wales). Presumably that isn't just down to testing levels being different?

Yet their death numbers are not that much lower (possibly due to care home mistakes?)

Case numbers are dominated by the second wave, because there wasn't much testing in the first.

Death numbers are still dominated by the first, where Scotland did about as badly as everyone else.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Here we go......2 days too late. Lets hope it isn't another I am announcing this evening that from a week on Thursday....
    Well at least he has managed to do it on the same day as Sturgeon, and at a better time for maximum TV news-drama. So he won't look like the usual Johnny cum lately.

But we were all saying on here well before Christmas that this is what the New Year would require. And lo....
    It was really obvious as soon as it became clear how much more infectious the new variant was. The lack of obvious preparation since that time (roughly mid December) seems pretty suboptimal.
    Your honour, my client accepts that stabbing the victim 134 times led to a suboptimal outcome...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    He's an absolute cockmunch.

Albeit if he was the lovely ladies of that London would be safer and at less risk of accidentally producing another of his love childs.
  • Options
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,603
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Scotland can't close the Airports.

The restrictions make it illegal to travel to the airport but she can't stop the planes. That's a UK competence.
    Ah a bit like independence referenda are the competence of the UK government.

So why is Sturgeon likely to do one and not the other?

Is it she cares more about independence than Covid-19?
    Getting a bit logically confused there. PBTory doctrine is that Ms S won't go for an illegal referendum.
    Do you disagree? Genuinely interested.
    There would be nothing illegal about the Scottish government holding a referendum. No law forbids it, but OTOH no law gives it any particular weight. Remainers would possibly suggest a boycott in order to dilute its moral validity.

Nichola would be very slow to associate herself with a project that could slump. It's quite possible of course that those in power in the SNP enjoy immensely simultaneously being in power while nursing and nurturing a permanent grievance and excuse for any failure.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

Scott_xP said:
    What Jane really wants is Kamps and barbed wire.
    You have some like-minded people across the pond.

https://twitter.com/SamBraslow/status/1345935219170312193
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh:

Sadly looks like you were right, so the President remains appointed by backroom deals
    Yep. The EU is a noble idea that has turned into a grotesque caricature of itself, and seems incapable of real reform. At least with Brexit (for all ITS faults) we will have a government that is no longer able to blame Brussels or hide behind "EU directives". It is up to us, whatever happens. That is another enormous benefit of Leaving.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

There are costs to them not to be flippant about. It does not follow that no one has considered those costs and reluctantly concluded it is a least worsr option.
    Sorry, but leaving absolutely everything....towering debt, smashed economy, educational deficit, to the next and future generations is not the least worst option. It is the most completely selfish cowards option.

And I suspect many on here know that.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

The strange one about Scotland is kids are still able to mix in playgrounds outside of school. If kids are now being considered a primary route of transmission between families surely this is a rather dangerous loophole?
    It's outdoors. Not so long close to the same people as when sat in a classroom.
    Also, I doubt outdoor playgrounds are that popular in Scotland in January, anyway
    Unless you count the ski centres. Depending on your tolerance for sheet ice and spindrift.

I quite like them. Cruising the pistes of Europe is for wimps (and super-spreaders). Except Cairngorm though, don't go there. [That's a tale of Scottish government incompetence for another day]
  • Options
    You mean you don't already? I know I do
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489

Ha I bet all you people who said Johnson would be following Sturgeon by 5pm tonight feel pretty fucking stupid now.
    It seems we have two possibilities
    (i) Sturgeon is an indecisive idiot who nonetheless somehow has a mole deep within Downing Street enabling her to announce Johnson's restrictions as her own before they are announced in England and look like she is the one in control of the situation and decisive
    (ii) Johnson is the indecisive idiot

Occam's razor?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    So. If this is Tier 4 with schools closed, then that will be no change from the past 3 weeks for the vast majority of England then?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh:

I doubt that the failure of EU leaders to adopt the Spitzenkandidat system in the wake of the 2019 European elections was a major factor in the 2016 Brexit referendum. So probably not "Why Brexit".
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

Here are my predictions for the Johnson press conference:

1. Ridiculously ruffled hair.
    2. Schoolboy smirk.
    3. 'Comedy' analogy.
    4. Total failure to convince.

There will be "alas" aplenty.
    Deep regret.
    Vaccine cavalry.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Shut the schools!

Followed by...

Why have you shut the schools?!!
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I prefer to stay polite.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    It gives a bloody good insight into how teachers feel about the government though.

Admittedly, our hatred of and contempt for them has been dragged up to a whole new level.
  • Options

There seems to be a hell of lot of Covid circulating in football.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,128
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

There we go, Nicolas statement finished. In about 3 shambolic days that will be the England plan.

Why? Has she closed the border.

If not it should not be the plan.

Close the effing border Boris. Then it is your own plan. Listen to Hunt.

(I feel absolutely awful saying close the border)
    It's defacto closed but she can't actually really close it.
    She can close her land border, should she so wish. There are only about 30 crossings, including farm tracks absolutely tiny backroads in the middle of nowhere. She could block most crossborder roads and impose border controls on the remaining 10 or so routes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

Was an acceptable reason to travel last time. If there is a delay it will be because the old couple who are selling decide its too dangerous to hire the skip they were planning to fill with all their accumulated debris.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    dixiedean said:

So. If this is Tier 4 with schools closed, then that will be no change from the past 3 weeks for the vast majority of England then?

There will at least be no repeat of the encouragement to have friends or family round for festive dinners.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    It gives a bloody good insight into how teachers feel about the government though.

Admittedly, our hatred of and contempt for them has been dragged up to a whole new level.
    Did you see Messrs J and H claiming this morning that schools were perfectly safe, Teacher was not at any particular risk, etc.?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sorry, but leaving absolutely everything....towering debt, smashed economy, educational deficit, to the next and future generations is not the least worst option. It is the most completely selfish cowards option.

And I suspect many on here know that.
    I suspect otherwise. People mean what they say, its rude without reason to presume they are falsely stating their position, even if they are wrong.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    Is there a 'not' cheese grater next to your privates option?
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh:

Sadly looks like you were right, so the President remains appointed by backroom deals
    Yep. The EU is a noble idea that has turned into a grotesque caricature of itself, and seems incapable of real reform. At least with Brexit (for all ITS faults) we will have a government that is no longer able to blame Brussels or hide behind "EU directives". It is up to us, whatever happens. That is another enormous benefit of Leaving.
    I thought Brexit as a subject was no more, has ceased to be, and bereft of life, it rests in peace.
  • Options
    Don't know what its like for you southerners but that would be a bit chilly up here right now. Our hills are covered in snow and our cul-de-sac is like a skating rink again today.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh:

Sadly looks like you were right, so the President remains appointed by backroom deals.

Juncker ironically was the only Spitzenkandidat after the 2014 European Parliament election results and therefore the only democratically elected European President, even if indirectly
    By backroom deal, I assume you mean decision reached by sovereign democratically elected governments, exercising their sovereign right within the EU to appoint the head of the European Commission (despite apparently having surrendered their sovereignty to that same European Commission).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

Was an acceptable reason to travel last time. If there is a delay it will be because the old couple who are selling decide its too dangerous to hire the skip they were planning to fill with all their accumulated debris.
    Well, good luck to you all. Hope it goes off smoothly.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

You could offer to deal with the junk for them? I would if I were you.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,012
    Another step on the ascent towards the sunlit uplands:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55530721
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Did you see Messrs J and H claiming this morning that schools were perfectly safe, Teacher was not at any particular risk, etc.?
    Yes.

I'll buy a new TV to replace the one with the massive holes in the screen at a later date.
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh:

I doubt that the failure of EU leaders to adopt the Spitzenkandidat system in the wake of the 2019 European elections was a major factor in the 2016 Brexit referendum. So probably not "Why Brexit".
    It was "Why Brexit" for a lot of brighter, more intelligent, well-informed people, so I understand why it did not impact you.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kle4 said:

Why? They played in the last lockdown. They might welcome a break but they seem to have a process that works.
    Stopping the football will end up with the bored idiots on the streets complains about something. Remember how all the protesting stopped when the football came back.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

massive change if you are a parent, I would have thought.

And school closures hit the poorest hardest. The children of the wealthy middle class leftists screeching for lockdown will be fine.
  • Options
    I made no such commitment and have needed a whisky already this year. My issues have been (a) beer and (b) crap food, both in serious quantities. I *have* to lose some weight and quickly as am disgusting. So out running / walking every day, not snacking, not eating junk.

Happily my measures* are robust. So a couple of whiskys and feel mellow enough.
    *pour a bit more every time :)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

There will at least be no repeat of the encouragement to have friends or family round for festive dinners.
    I can't imagine there will be any exemption for Burns' Night, whether the haggis is 'British' or 'Scottish' (a duality, interestingly, also present in Burns' own life, depending on how honest he was being).
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

At least there will be a better chance they will still have parents and grandparents tomorrow.
    there's already a 99.5% chance though, right?
    No.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pity the poor Isles of Scilly: Tier 1 --> Tier 4.
  • Options

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

The Romans tried that and ended up having to spend the entire GDP building a wall so big they couldn't take it away when they left and it's still there. It's murder keeping the Celtic Britons and the Picts apart. And now you have to sort the Saxons as well.

NB Don't tell the thought police but a great friend of mine has just crossed one of the 28 borders into Scotland and hasn't been shot. Yet.

• Options

Is there a 'not' cheese grater next to your privates option?
    Only when the stubble starts rubbing against other stubble.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes.

I'll buy a new TV to replace the one with the massive holes in the screen at a later date.
    I did wonder.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    So as everyone except the government saw coming, he's going to reverse what he said yesterday, isn't he?
  • Options
    Suppose it counts as an adequate face covering.
  • Options

At least there will be a better chance they will still have parents and grandparents tomorrow.
    there's already a 99.5% chance though, right?
    No.
    99.5% chance for parents, certainly.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    algarkirk said:

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

The Romans tried that and ended up having to spend the entire GDP building a wall so big they couldn't take it away when they left and it's still there. It's murder keeping the Celtic Britons and the Picts apart. And now you have to sort the Saxons as well.

NB Don't tell the thought police but a great friend of mine has just crossed one of the 28 borders into Scotland and hasn't been shot. Yet.

Hadrian's wall (apart from the extreme western end) is nowhere near the Scottish border, nor did it form the boundary of the Roman Empire.

Edit - incidentally, the fortifications constructed along the Rhine and Danube at the same time to get the Picts away suggest they had a hell of a long reach.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

And who would, if you had your way, face even more enormous economic and social challenges due to the inaction of the previous one.
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh:

I thought Brexit as a subject was no more, has ceased to be, and bereft of life, it rests in peace.
    It's not me who is CONSTANTLY bringing it up. You know I far prefer to talk about mass death and apocalypse.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,777
    https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1346113547319865344?s=20

I think we were only at level 4 in March. Ergo restrictions need to be stricter than in March.
  • Options
    So are people really saying Sturgeon preempted Boris and that's Boris's plan was to have schools go back for a day before closing them.

Really?

Really???
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    dixiedean said:

Which would also be broadly the same position as the Scottish announcement.

In both instances a huge amount of government spin and media hyperbole are being used to make this seem like a much bigger announcement than it really is, because the truth is we have run out of bullets and all there is left is telling people the schools are shut for a while and that it is a race between vaccine and the new variant.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Alistair said:

So are people really saying Sturgeon preempted Boris and that's Boris's plan was to have schools go back for a day before closing them.

Really?

Really???

some schools will have gone back today.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

It seems we have two possibilities
    (i) Sturgeon is an indecisive idiot who nonetheless somehow has a mole deep within Downing Street enabling her to announce Johnson's restrictions as her own before they are announced in England and look like she is the one in control of the situation and decisive
    (ii) Johnson is the indecisive idiot

Occam's razor?
    Or a third.

Officials discuss options behind the scenes and politicians announce changes when they've agreed them with their cabinets?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419

dixiedean said:

Or maybe they'll be left as proof that it isn't a national lockdown?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited January 2021

Don't know what its like for you southerners but that would be a bit chilly up here right now. Our hills are covered in snow and our cul-de-sac is like a skating rink again today.

Yep. The question of golf on or off in England is somewhat moot up here.
    Just been for a walk, and can report golf on.
    If you don't mind the snow making your yardage incorrect and putting next to impossible.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1346113547319865344?s=20

I think we were only at level 4 in March. Ergo restrictions need to be stricter than in March.

Lockdown 4 - Lock Down or Die Free?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

Hadrian's wall (apart from the extreme western end) is nowhere near the Scottish border, nor did it form the boundary of the Roman Empire.
    THat's a bit like saying that the concrete fence on the Inner German Border wasn't the frontier of East Germany. But yes it was part of a zone of defence.

Have you been to the patrol road and line of towers at the Gask Ridge in Perthshire? The northernmost surviving border zone of the Imperium Romanum.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

You could offer to deal with the junk for them? I would if I were you.
    Yes, if they get arsey that will be the response. He used to run a picture framing business. In the last lockdown he cleared out their warehouse with the intention to liquidate the stock. When I went for a tour in October progress on that front had been slow. As well as the 6-bed former bank manager's house we are buying the former bank it is attached to. The bank, complete with its various large storerooms and both floors of the double-length garage were still rammed full of stock.

If need be leave whatever you can't sell and I will skip / burn them.
  • Options

And who would, if you had your way, face even more enormous economic and social challenges due to the inaction of the previous one.
    What I am stating is fact. What you are stating is a projection. It does not exist

See Niall Ferguson for details.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh:

It was "Why Brexit" for a lot of brighter, more intelligent, well-informed people, so I understand why it did not impact you.
    You'd have to be remarkably well-informed to have known in 2016 that the EU was going to drop the Spitzenkandidat system in 2019 having only adopted it in 2014.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Really?

Really???

For one thing, the Scottish schools had already been postponed ...
  • Options
    Must be hellish hard being PM, when the scientists keep telling him "Wait for it...wait for it....."

"Guys, can you actually SEE the white of a virus' eyes?"
  • Options

dixiedean said:

They've probably forgotten about the Scilly Isles and will have to rush out a statement at 2a.m.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2021
    Other than Prof Peston has made claims like this before about what is about to be announced and been shown to be wrong....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

Edit - incidentally, the fortifications constructed along the Rhine and Danube at the same time to get the Picts away suggest they had a hell of a long reach.
    Good point well made.

This discussion has been closed.