Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump’s desperate attempt to bully the Georgia Secretary of State shows the lengths he’ll go to hang

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    She was shit on The Masked Singer and rightly turfed out.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,505

Selebian said:

Ha I bet all you people who said Johnson would be following Sturgeon by 5pm tonight feel pretty fucking stupid now.
    It seems we have two possibilities
    (i) Sturgeon is an indecisive idiot who nonetheless somehow has a mole deep within Downing Street enabling her to announce Johnson's restrictions as her own before they are announced in England and look like she is the one in control of the situation and decisive
    (ii) Johnson is the indecisive idiot

Occam's razor?
    Or a third.

Officials discuss options behind the scenes and politicians announce changes when they've agreed them with their cabinets?
    True. Unsportsman(lady)like though for Sturgeon to run with it first every time. Unless she's acting as canary to see what reception the restriction get and Johnson announces them a little later if they seem to have gone down well.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Jonathan said:

Are we about to wish it was 2020 again?

No
    They are taking critical care patients in Plymouth from Kent. Think about what that means.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

but.....but....

the vaccines....

they are our way out.....

Philip said.....
    They are.

Its January and we haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Do you have a TARDIS? Can't bring back from the dead people who die in January and February once the vaccine is rolled out by April.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021
    "Prestwick has been told to expect the arrival of a US military Boeing 757 aircraft, that is occasionally used by Trump, on January 19 – the day before his Democrat rival formally becomes president.

A source at the airport told the Sunday Post: “There is a booking for an American military version of the Boeing 757 on January 19, the day before the inauguration. That’s one that’s normally used by the Vice-President but often used by the First Lady. Presidential flights tend to get booked far in advance, because of the work that has to be done around it.”
  • Options

Jonathan said:

but.....but....

the vaccines....

they are our way out.....

Philip said.....
    They are, you don't understand how the pandemic works.

I notice you've stopped citing Sweden, Gupta, Heneghan, and Sikora these days, are things ok, or were they talking shite as was told to you at the time.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635

I wonder if Trump is planning to clear off after his rally today. If Britain in general and Scotland in particular locks down more than other countries, though, he would presumably have second thoughts.

https://twitter.com/hazydav/status/1346108846045941763

Try again! I hope they arrest Trump and Melania upon touchdown for breaching Scottish travel restrictions. Yes they can land as thats a UK competency. But travel from Prestwick to a hotel in Turnberry for a holiday sounds like non-essential travel.

Lock Him Up.
    Our jurisdiction is looking like a good one for avoiding extradition to the USA. Trump and Assange would have lots to talk about in Belmarsh or Barlinnie.

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Betting thought for the Georgia Senate race:

If you take the view that a critical constituency for Biden winning Georgia / the US election was (mainly) white suburban women, you might want to think about whether they would vote for an alleged wife-beater aka Warnock. That doesn't necessarily mean they vote for Loeffler but even abstention could prove the deciding factor.

You can still get Loeffler / Ossoff at 16/1 (18/1 with bet boost) at Ladbrokes
  • Options
    Leon said:

I have a strong suspicion that the Tokyo Olympics will be cancelled, quite soon. Japan is about to declare another state of emergency in the capital.

There won't be a second postponement, the Games will just be abandoned. Very sad.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/04/suga-considers-new-state-of-emergency-for-tokyo-amid-covid-resurgence
    I think you are correct

I cannot see the games being held this year or the UEFA football finals resulting in England v Scotland being cancelled
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Tbh, even Nicola is failing the border test. Why hasn't Scotland closed its airports and opened checkpoints into Scotland from England with rapid testing stations. Something like that would be perfectly reasonable at this time. It might even shock Westminster into acting, keeping the border with Scotland open is far more important than keeping the border open with RoW. The UK should be an impenetrable fortress at this point a year after we first realised this was going to be awful.

Scotland can't close the Airports.

The restrictions make it illegal to travel to the airport but she can't stop the planes. That's a UK competence.
    Ah a bit like independence referenda are the competence of the UK government.

So why is Sturgeon likely to do one and not the other?

Is it she cares more about independence than Covid-19?
    Oh dear , a 7 year old appears
    Indeed you have.
    very droll :*
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

So. If this is Tier 4 with schools closed, then that will be no change from the past 3 weeks for the vast majority of England then?

Pity the poor Isles of Scilly: Tier 1 --> Tier 4.
    Or maybe they'll be left as proof that it isn't a national lockdown?
    Islands in Scotland are still level 3 which I find slightly mystifying though I guess travelling to them from level 4 areas is going to be hellish hard. I think there was a flurry of cases in Shetland last week.
    It is illegal to travel from tier 4 to tier 3.

I am worried Shetland is super fucked. Well see when the numbers are out tomorrow. I fear seriously grim figures.
    IS there any particular reason why Shetland is bad?!

Personally speaking, if I lived on a smallish island, like that - or the Scillies or Lewis or wherever - I would be furious that the local council didn't quarantine the place on March 1 2020.

I get that it is more difficult to close down an island as big and populous as Great Britain (but they should have tried) but Shetland should be a doddle. Test everyone who comes in and out. Quarantine. How hard can it be?
    From the 1st of May to the 19th of Dec Shetland had 22 cases total.

On the 29th of Dec they had 13 alone.

I presume that they have got a bit blasé about Covid (I know I sure would have by now) and then Cockney Covid has snuck on land.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Tbh, even Nicola is failing the border test. Why hasn't Scotland closed its airports and opened checkpoints into Scotland from England with rapid testing stations. Something like that would be perfectly reasonable at this time. It might even shock Westminster into acting, keeping the border with Scotland open is far more important than keeping the border open with RoW. The UK should be an impenetrable fortress at this point a year after we first realised this was going to be awful.

The restrictions make it illegal to travel to the airport but she can't stop the planes. That's a UK competence.

Bit harsh on yourself there Malc. We always thought of your insults as being more teenage.
    very droll :*
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited January 2021
    Jesus Christ...I have just stumbled across this...these people must be in a permanent state of offended by everything, everyone, everywhere...

https://twitter.com/Abebab/status/1311589200773480449?s=19
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211

Leon said:

I have a strong suspicion that the Tokyo Olympics will be cancelled, quite soon. Japan is about to declare another state of emergency in the capital.

There won't be a second postponement, the Games will just be abandoned. Very sad.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/04/suga-considers-new-state-of-emergency-for-tokyo-amid-covid-resurgence
    I'm not sure how Euro 2021 takes place in its current from this year either.
    I can't see UEFA club competitions finishing as planned either.
  • Options
    Ah, the old "tell Mel B it's been cancelled due to Covid" ruse. We've all used that line over the past year.

Seriously, though, they clearly won't have vaccinated the core demographic for Glasto by June, and they'd need to incur costs now that an insurer wouldn't cover.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Ha I bet all you people who said Johnson would be following Sturgeon by 5pm tonight feel pretty fucking stupid now.
    It seems we have two possibilities
    (i) Sturgeon is an indecisive idiot who nonetheless somehow has a mole deep within Downing Street enabling her to announce Johnson's restrictions as her own before they are announced in England and look like she is the one in control of the situation and decisive
    (ii) Johnson is the indecisive idiot

Occam's razor?
    Or a third.

Officials discuss options behind the scenes and politicians announce changes when they've agreed them with their cabinets?
    True. Unsportsman(lady)like though for Sturgeon to run with it first every time. Unless she's acting as canary to see what reception the restriction get and Johnson announces them a little later if they seem to have gone down well.
    More like the timing. If Mr J hogs the peak teatime slot, then what else is a lady to do?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

No
    They are taking critical care patients in Plymouth from Kent. Think about what that means.
    There was no vaccine in 2020 and it is vital that it is injected across the nation asap
  • Options

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1346113547319865344?s=20

I think we were only at level 4 in March. Ergo restrictions need to be stricter than in March.

Only introduced in May so March was not graded. Started on 3.5 in May not 4!
    No it started in 4. 🙄

They spoke about moving from 4 to 3 but it started in 4.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

So. If this is Tier 4 with schools closed, then that will be no change from the past 3 weeks for the vast majority of England then?

Islands in Scotland are still level 3 which I find slightly mystifying though I guess travelling to them from level 4 areas is going to be hellish hard. I think there was a flurry of cases in Shetland last week.

I am worried Shetland is super fucked. Well see when the numbers are out tomorrow. I fear seriously grim figures.

Personally speaking, if I lived on a smallish island, like that - or the Scillies or Lewis or wherever - I would be furious that the local council didn't quarantine the place on March 1 2020.

I get that it is more difficult to close down an island as big and populous as Great Britain (but they should have tried) but Shetland should be a doddle. Test everyone who comes in and out. Quarantine. How hard can it be?
    Not easy. Has a very busy airport - oil.
    But I assume the oil companies are running VERY stringent Covid compliance. They do it with alcohol zero-tolerance for example.

Last thing you would want is an outbreak of Covid on a production platform.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Bit harsh on yourself, I mean your usual comments are usually 'stick your comments up your urchie you schemie shoes wearing tramp.'
    Mea Culpa
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,607

Leon said:

I think you are correct

I cannot see the games being held this year or the UEFA football finals resulting in England v Scotland being cancelled
    Even if Japan gets a grip on its relatively modest Covid problem, via vaccines and tracing, by holding the Games they will be inviting in thousands of athletes from plenty of poorer countries which will still have huge Covid problems (and I am ignoring the potential of millions of foreign tourist/spectators)

I just don't see how it can be done. The dangers and complexities are mind-boggling.
  • Options

Didn't quite hit the 60,000:

A 2% increase in tests delivers a 50% increase in positive results.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

Lets see shagger fuck it up tonight then. Instead of a national stay at home lockdown from midnight it will Tier 5 ramble waffle be responsible from Friday.
    Week on Friday more like
  • Options
    So if its March style lockdown does the Premier League end? Does it get awarded to the team currently top of the table?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

I think the knockout phases will be one legged ties in a neutral country in a tournament fashion.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don't think you need to be Nostradamus to predict that one
  • Options
    POLITICO Playbook: The backstory of Trump’s Georgia call
    https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/01/04/the-backstory-of-trumps-georgia-call-491268

"Lindsey Graham asked us to throw out legally cast ballots [and later denied it]. So, yeah, after that call, we decided maybe we should do this.”

Little Linsdsey strikes again! John McCain would be sooooooooooo proud of his former Mini Me - NOT!

• Options

I wonder if Trump is planning to clear off after his rally today. If Britain in general and Scotland in particular locks down more than other countries, though, he would presumably have second thoughts.

Try again! I hope they arrest Trump and Melania upon touchdown for breaching Scottish travel restrictions. Yes they can land as thats a UK competency. But travel from Prestwick to a hotel in Turnberry for a holiday sounds like non-essential travel.

Lock Him Up.
    Diplomatic immunity. But that's not a great excuse in the UK right now. And the next day he loses immunity ...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

The twitter gab was that last week's outbreak originated with one couple returning with the plague. Grim if true.
    Wouldn't want to be that couple, if they get named

I read today on the BBC that a bunch of Brits got stopped at Schiphol. One was on his way to a skiing holiday in Spain

How bewilderingly selfish, and stupid, do you have to be, to try and wander across Europe right now, to go on a skiing holiday??!!
    One of the admin team at work (Secondary school in Tier 3) had booked 10 days in the Canaries over Christmas. No idea if she made it there.
  • Options
    Can't the footy and the Olympics just do the while bio-secure bubble thing?
  • Options
    'Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me.'
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

I think the knockout phases will be one legged ties in a neutral country in a tournament fashion.
    But when? I reckon UEFA will do whatever it takes to plays Euro 2020 this summer.
  • Options
    Never did I expect to say Donald Trump just reminded me of Kenneth Williams.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Not easy. Has a very busy airport - oil.
    But I assume the oil companies are running VERY stringent Covid compliance. They do it with alcohol zero-tolerance for example.

Last thing you would want is an outbreak of Covid on a production platform.
    I'm sure they are - just that there is far more traffic to Shetland than one might expect. It does however sound from what someone else said that the outbreak was caused by something completely different.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

No
    There was no vaccine in 2020 and it is vital that it is injected across the nation asap
    No shit Sherlock. Meanwhile we are in dire straits.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Lock Him Up.
    Our jurisdiction is looking like a good one for avoiding extradition to the USA. Trump and Assange would have lots to talk about in Belmarsh or Barlinnie.

Fwiw I've just backed Trump at 24 (now 21) to leave before the end of his first term, and saved the stake by backing Trump to leave in 2021 at 1.03.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,855
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh:

"That is just utter nonsense. Firstly like many I have no control over who I elect and I did have a vote for the European parliament. The only difference between us and the EU was that our executive comes (largely but not exclusively eg Lords) from an elected parliament rather than being appointed. However in many democracies the executive is appointed (eg USA, London Mayor) and monitored by the elected representatives. These are just different types of democracies and it is debatable that ours is superior. I think many would argue it is inferior at it nearly always results in what many call an elected dictatorship with conflicted roles between the executive and those elected to pass laws and monitor the executive.

So I have no power whatsoever to get rid of a Govt, but I have lost the right to do many things. Actual tangible things."

"The only difference between us and the EU was that our executive comes (largely but not exclusively eg Lords) from an elected parliament rather than being appointed"

I mean, listen to yourself. Jeez

Maybe it would be useful if you actually stated what was inaccurate in that statement. Do you think the USA is not a democracy? It has an appointed executive?
    The Americans just kicked out President Trump. Thank F*ck. Because he's an awful president.

No European citizen will ever get the chance to throw out President von der Leyen. Or Charles Michel. Or any of the other four EU presidents. Or is it five? Ten? It is so easy to forget.
    To be fair the Commission President is now supposed to come from the party with the largest number of elected MEPs in the European Parliament
    No, not any more. You're talking of the Spitzenkandidat process, I believe. An attempt to make the EU a shade less undemocratic.

Trouble is, at the last go, the EU decided to just dump the Spitzenkandidat process, making the EU even less democratic again.

Was anyone consulted? As in, the people of Europe? No, of course not.

https://www.politico.eu/article/who-killed-the-spitzenkandidat-european-parliament-election-2019-transition/

"It’s a Brussels murder mystery that would flummox even Hercule Poirot: Who killed the Spitzenkandidat?

"Accusations are flying over the death of the “lead candidate” system for choosing the president of the European Commission, the EU’s most powerful job. It’s a crime story that’s also a political drama — played out over multiple summits including a day-and-night marathon earlier this week — about how the European Union should be governed."

That, in a nutshell, is Why Brexit.
    Sadly looks like you were right, so the President remains appointed by backroom deals
    Yep. The EU is a noble idea that has turned into a grotesque caricature of itself, and seems incapable of real reform. At least with Brexit (for all ITS faults) we will have a government that is no longer able to blame Brussels or hide behind "EU directives". It is up to us, whatever happens. That is another enormous benefit of Leaving.
    I thought Brexit as a subject was no more, has ceased to be, and bereft of life, it rests in peace.
    It's not me who is CONSTANTLY bringing it up. You know I far prefer to talk about mass death and apocalypse.
    It's just that the point being made is leaky.

If we were ruled by Brussels rather than Westminster there was no need to be scared of PM Corbyn, was there?

And yet.
    By the time PM Corbyn was a potential (2017,2019) we had already activated article 50 so what has Brussels got to do with curbing his crap?
  • Options
    The news that F1 may cancel Australia again (and with it the season) - thats not a bad thing. The 2020 season was unexpectedly classic, with a great mix of old favourite tracks and some devious new ones. I think their real problem would be maintaining the strict bubbles needed to pull it off.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Bit harsh on yourself there Malc. We always thought of your insults as being more teenage.
    Speak for yourself....
    7 year olds aren't so sweary.
    You lead a sheltered life
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    More EU residents having trouble

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1346117476044701696?s=20

Expect Guardian outrage in....three...two.....oh, never mind.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,788

DavidL said:

Don't know what its like for you southerners but that would be a bit chilly up here right now. Our hills are covered in snow and our cul-de-sac is like a skating rink again today.
    I'm a slightly-less-well-padded-but-still-bulky Midlander. I'm not nesh.
    Perfectly acceptable, but you own the consequences...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    edited January 2021
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

But when? I reckon UEFA will do whatever it takes to plays Euro 2020 this summer.
    I reckon UEFA will tell the national associations to shorten their seasons, and play domestic league matches on the CL match days, allowing the season to end in April, then UEFA club competitions to be played in May.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ah, I missed this on Shetland: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55515652

So hopefully things looking ok.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

UK record again (on a Monday!), but "only" 11k reported in London, which is lower than each of the last seven days, the highest of which was 15k.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Probably not. Cricket has arguably done the best job so far, at least for the test series that were held last summer, and they haven't been without problems. Big football competitions and the Olympics with far more people involved, from far more countries, and supercovid to deal with look unviable. Even if the event struggles to completion you could easily end up with farcical results where the best teams or athletes are out of the competition due to infections or a need to isolate. Imagine a finals where one of the teams can't play at the last minute.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

8pm? So won't be in effect from midnight tonight. An additional day or two of delay where people set out to cram in all the things they won't be allowed to do.

As for travel in Scotland my understanding is that the entire mainland is Tier 4 so essential travel only. Easy for the police to enforce. What about the border? Can only find a few relevant traffic cams and the A68 and A1 look absolutely dead.

Checks should be doable:
    B7076 - close the road west of the M6 junction
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    Two minor roads to stop up
    A7 checkpoint
    Stop up the B6318 & 7 minor roads
    A68 checkpoint - admittedly Carter Bar isn't going to be a pleasant posting in winter but plenty of space
    Stop up the B6352, B6396, B6350 and a minor road, diverting all traffic towards
    A697 Coldstream checkpoint
    Stop up the B6470, B6461, A6105
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

It doesn't sound too hopeful for your planned move RP. Or is that exempted?
    Was an acceptable reason to travel last time. If there is a delay it will be because the old couple who are selling decide its too dangerous to hire the skip they were planning to fill with all their accumulated debris.
    You could offer to deal with the junk for them? I would if I were you.
    Yes, if they get arsey that will be the response. He used to run a picture framing business. In the last lockdown he cleared out their warehouse with the intention to liquidate the stock. When I went for a tour in October progress on that front had been slow. As well as the 6-bed former bank manager's house we are buying the former bank it is attached to. The bank, complete with its various large storerooms and both floors of the double-length garage were still rammed full of stock.

If need be leave whatever you can't sell and I will skip / burn them.
    Good luck with that. All of our "recycling centres" or dumps will now be closed again for a month, possibly longer. Not ideal when you are moving house.
    Fire out the back will soon solve that
    Wouldn't want that with all the lead paint and metallic paint on the frames,. mind.
    It was a jest of course
  • Options
    Having checked Switzerland, Germany, France and Belgium (random, nothing more) they all seemed to peak with deaths in Oct / Nov in their 2nd waves on https://www.worldometers.info/

Is that really the case or am I missing something there ?

Surely hard to miss deaths as opposed to positive cases ???
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,607
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

I don't think you need to be Nostradamus to predict that one
    Well, there is a massive and countervailing pressure to hold them, nonetheless, because of all the money invested. Many billions will be entirely wasted.

But yeah, they are a goner
  • Options
    edited January 2021

algarkirk said:

Lock Him Up.

Fwiw I've just backed Trump at 24 (now 21) to leave before the end of his first term, and saved the stake by backing Trump to leave in 2021 at 1.03.
    An uncomfortable for our good Scots neighbours must be that The Donald is in fact currently the world's most famous living Scotsman.

But I expect someone better soon to rise.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185

Scott_xP said:
    Thank goodness that Gordon isn't PM then.

The last thing we need with a blank cheque for authoritarian powers is someone eager to actually use them. If that sort of authoritarian power is to be wielded it should be by someone reluctant to use it, doing so as a last resort because there is no alternative.
    I think we've seen that what's done as a last resort is done too late.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971

The football can, so long as the players don’t see getting people in and out of the bubble as a challenge.

The huge issue with the Olympics is going to be all the qualifying tournaments in each nation, in the build-up to the Games themselves. You could just about quarantine and isolate the Village, but you’d need half of Tokyo’s police to do it, as well as keeping all the local staff and volunteers accommodated in the bubble for a month or more.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,788

Jesus Christ...I have just stumbled across this...these people must be in a permanent state of offended by everything, everyone, everywhere...

The reimagining of misogyny into misogynoir is wonderful.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,469
    MattW said:

Turing kept slaves.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Lock Him Up.

An uncomfortable fact for our good Scots neighbours must be that the Donald is in fact currently the world's most famous living Scotsman.
    He's not Scottish. He would be very offended if you said that. Birther, remember?

Would only happne if he claimed a Scots passport on account of his mum after Indy. But ...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Lock Him Up.

An uncomfortable fact for our good Scots neighbours must be that the Donald is in fact currently the world's most famous living Scotsman.
    He's not Scottish. He would be very offended if you said that. Birther, remember?

Would only happne if he claimed a Scots passport on account of his mum after Indy. But ...
    Who knows what he might do if he really wants to move, though.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Didn't the Donald claim his father was born in Germany at one point (which was bollocks)?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Lock Him Up.

Who knows what he might do if he really wants to move, though.
    Well, the Tories would give a passport to my pet tortoise if I paid enough.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    edited January 2021

The news that F1 may cancel Australia again (and with it the season) - thats not a bad thing. The 2020 season was unexpectedly classic, with a great mix of old favourite tracks and some devious new ones. I think their real problem would be maintaining the strict bubbles needed to pull it off.

Yep, Australia are refusing to exempt F1 from two weeks’ quarantine, so it’s probably off. Can’t blame them, given that most of the circus would be travelling from U.K. and Italy.

2020 season was indeed a classic, after everyone moved heaven and earth to make it happen.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088
    MattW said:

Wasn't much of the basic maths (and some of the rest) done by Islamic scholars before the Renaissance though?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Didn't the Donald claim his father was German at one point?

Yes, I think his father originally Drumpf, which may have affected his support for German Nationalism and Nazism in the thirties, and his mother Scottish.
  • Options

The Scots link is through his mum. She was from Lewis. Immigrant.
  • Options
    alednam said:

Scott_xP said:
    Thank goodness that Gordon isn't PM then.

The last thing we need with a blank cheque for authoritarian powers is someone eager to actually use them. If that sort of authoritarian power is to be wielded it should be by someone reluctant to use it, doing so as a last resort because there is no alternative.
    I think we've seen that what's done as a last resort is done too late.
    Better late than never if it is actually needed.

We have also seen that those who want authoritarian powers and acquire them can be reluctant to give them back up. If we had the likes of Theresa May in office then I might by as anti-restrictions as contrarian as I wouldn't trust her not to put in unnecessary ones, or to relinquish all the emergency powers. The thing with Boris is that if he's saying it is necessary then it really is.
  • Options

MattW said:

Wasn't much of the basic maths (and some of the rest) done by Islamic scholars before the Renaissance though?
    Not to mention slave-owning Greeks.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,246
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The football can, so long as the players don’t see getting people in and out of the bubble as a challenge.

The huge issue with the Olympics is going to be all the qualifying tournaments in each nation, in the build-up to the Games themselves. You could just about quarantine and isolate the Village, but you’d need half of Tokyo’s police to do it, as well as keeping all the local staff and volunteers accommodated in the bubble for a month or more.
    Yes, I don't see how they realistically hold such a large event as the Olympics in a bubble.

However, I am not sure the qualifying events are such an issue. That's surely just about making hard decisions about qualifying criteria and team sizes. That'd be incredibly harsh on some individuals - but qualifying always is and it's a surmountable problem. The bubble less so.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

8pm? So won't be in effect from midnight tonight. An additional day or two of delay where people set out to cram in all the things they won't be allowed to do.

As for travel in Scotland my understanding is that the entire mainland is Tier 4 so essential travel only. Easy for the police to enforce. What about the border? Can only find a few relevant traffic cams and the A68 and A1 look absolutely dead.

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A68 checkpoint - admittedly Carter Bar isn't going to be a pleasant posting in winter but plenty of space
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

Was an acceptable reason to travel last time. If there is a delay it will be because the old couple who are selling decide its too dangerous to hire the skip they were planning to fill with all their accumulated debris.
    Yes, if they get arsey that will be the response. He used to run a picture framing business. In the last lockdown he cleared out their warehouse with the intention to liquidate the stock. When I went for a tour in October progress on that front had been slow. As well as the 6-bed former bank manager's house we are buying the former bank it is attached to. The bank, complete with its various large storerooms and both floors of the double-length garage were still rammed full of stock.

Good luck with that. All of our "recycling centres" or dumps will now be closed again for a month, possibly longer. Not ideal when you are moving house.
    He did say commercial skips to be fair. Lockdown hopefully shouldn't affect that. THough I am sure you are quite right about the domestic waste dumps/recycling centres being closed.
    I would be amazed if you can get a commercial skip in January. I really don't see how that could be legal.
  • Options

Having checked Switzerland, Germany, France and Belgium (random, nothing more) they all seemed to peak with deaths in Oct / Nov in their 2nd waves on https://www.worldometers.info/

Is that really the case or am I missing something there ?

Surely hard to miss deaths as opposed to positive cases ???

Germany was still climbing pre-Christmas. It may have levelled off since, but we probably need to wait a while as it might just be a lag in Christmas reporting.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

I was thinking about something just now. On the phrase, "people who menstruate" instead of women, where does that leave those who are post-menopausal? Are they, maybe in homage to Prince, categorised as TPWFM (The People Who Formally Menstruated)?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088

Yes, I think his father originally Drumpf, which may have affected his support for German Nationalism and Nazism in the thirties, and his mother Scottish.
    Grandfather originally Drumpf I think. Brothel keeper during one of the Gold Rushes, according to Wikipedia.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,688

algarkirk said:

Lock Him Up.

I have to say I have been surprised by Trump. I thought he would pop to Florida for Christmas and not come back. Proved wrong on that one. I couldn't believe that he would get dragged out of the White House on the 20th, but I now think that may be possible. That would be so entertaining, but could be rather explosive so have mixed feelings about it.
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    edited January 2021
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

2020 was a global disaster for sport and 2021 will be a disaster as well. But we've got vaccines so there is nothing to worry about because the vaccines will stop the pandemic dead in its tracks, and then the restrictions can be lifted and we will go back to normal.

If necessary the Olympics should be postponed to 2022, because by 2022 the pandemic will be under control due to the vaccines. The Paris Olympics should then be postponed to 2025, by which time France will have completed its vaccination program. It's just as well we've got vaccines that work.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Perfect timing for Williamson to resign
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

UK record again (on a Monday!), but "only" 11k reported in London, which is lower than each of the last seven days, the highest of which was 15k.
    Maybe T4-and-a-bit, schools closed, no Christmas is enough to hold the line.

Let's hope so.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Most of the western Isles have been Covid free throughout with considerable restrictions on travel from the mainland. I had a client who was based in Shetland who gave evidence remotely in Kilmarnock because if she left the island she would not be allowed back without quarantine. Sorry to hear that has broken down. This should be the easy stuff.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,665
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    I'd forgotten about the Five Level Covid thingy (the one where we started out in evel Three-and-a-half).

Well anyway, Level Five it is. Officially described as "We are in deep shit".
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    UK local R

• Options

I'd forgotten about the Five Level Covid thingy (the one where we started out in evel Three-and-a-half).

Well anyway, Level Five it is. Officially described as "We are in deep shit".

I actually thought it had quietly been dropped.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    It's always Williamson-resigns o'clock.....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

He did say commercial skips to be fair. Lockdown hopefully shouldn't affect that. THough I am sure you are quite right about the domestic waste dumps/recycling centres being closed.
    I would be amazed if you can get a commercial skip in January. I really don't see how that could be legal.
    Plenty of them around here during the year, except perhaps during the tightest lockdown. Outdoor building-type work, no? Minimum social interaction. Orra loon comes in truck, drops off, drives off. Filling is DIY. No prtoblem.

But RP will need to check.

The real pain was not being able to take domestic junk to the depot - we don't have a car and the local depot was closed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Checks should be doable:
    A74(M) - easy checkpoint
    A7 checkpoint
    A1 Lamberton checkpoint

We're due to move in mid-Feb. So there is still time. And if need be I'll do the skip after he's gone and its legal again.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181
    Scott_xP said:
    The anonymous briefings always seem to suggest that Michael Gove was right.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,469
    malcolmg said:

A 2% increase in tests delivers a 50% increase in positive results.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

Lets see shagger fuck it up tonight then. Instead of a national stay at home lockdown from midnight it will Tier 5 ramble waffle be responsible from Friday.
    Week on Friday more like
    "I have decided that as reward for all the good behaviour over xmas the pubs will be reopened until Friday and then we will start a new Tier 4B lockdown in every postcode but for the two dozen or so in which Cabinet ministers have second homes."
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634

Scott_xP said:
    Let's hope.
  • Options
    UK Case summary

Today

Yesterday

• Options
    fox327 said:

The Paris Olympics should then be postponed to 2025, by which time France will have completed its vaccination program.

Bold....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    It's always Williamson-resigns o'clock.....
    I thought that was Lord Falconer?

The best time for Williamson to go was in the past. The next best thing is now. The next best thing is ASAP in the future.
  • Options
    kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Lock Him Up.

I have to say I have been surprised by Trump. I thought he would pop to Florida for Christmas and not come back. Proved wrong on that one. I couldn't believe that he would get dragged out of the White House on the 20th, but I now think that may be possible. That would be so entertaining, but could be rather explosive so have mixed feelings about it.
    I have a horrible fear he might be doing a reverse Assange and seeking asylum ...
  • Options
    UK positivity

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,173
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

It could be hosted in a single country with a well-developed vaccine programme... such as England*

(*assuming the government can deliver the vaccine)

Not too bothered about the Olympics from a sporting standpoint – it comprises chiefly those sports that few people are interested in.
  • Options
    One thing that is different from March and a tad surprising is that Scottish Courts are now deeming themselves an essential service and are intending to carry on with their existing program. That means that there will be a considerable number of remote juries sitting in cinemas etc in January. I find that really odd. If I was eligible for jury service and picked I would be seriously unhappy. Ditto witnesses and, dare one mention it, lawyers.

It comes to a pretty pass when we are getting treated worse than teachers.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Starmer position has lasted less than a day and has decided closing zoo's probably isn't enough...

BBC News - Covid: Keir Starmer in 'back to March' lockdown call
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55535184
  • Options
    UK Hospitals

This discussion has been closed.