Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Merry Christmas: rising Covid cases, No Deal Brexit, recession and maybe lockdown – politicalbetting

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,202

On the topic of ICE development...

For a long time I have wanted to get copies of LJK Setright's Some Unusual Engines and The Power to Fly.

These days secondhand copies sell for over £200 each - and I don't want them that much.

I should have just borrowed the copies at my grammar school library and 'forgotten' to return them.

PS thanks for the tip on The Secret Horsepower Race... now added to Mrs P. Christmas shopping list :wink:

£85 right now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Some-Unusual-Engines-by-L-J-K-Setright-1975/401779574173
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Email from a relative a few minutes ago: "I'm in two minds if [Covid] is real or not".

Maybe it's a good thing we won't be gathering for Christmas now.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072

Scott_xP said:
    That's about the first bit of even vague rumour or briefing in almost two days. Either they're running a very tight ship, as Boris johnson's new favourite phrase goes , or there's nothing in the box.
    I don't think it's going to happen.

Both Macron and Boris (for it is they) both believe theu have more to gain from No Deal than lose.
    I don't think it is Macron. It's the EU as a whole. They are agreed that breaching the single market rules isn't worth the candle of a deal with UK.
    I think it is Macron. And I think it's all about the fish. And he wants (for domestic consumption) to score a big victory over the Brits.
  • Options

Are these new billions or a re-release of the existing billions?
    Both, that way you can count them twice.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    That's about the first bit of even vague rumour or briefing in almost two days. Either they're running a very tight ship, as Boris johnson's new favourite phrase goes , or there's nothing in the box.

Both Macron and Boris (for it is they) both believe theu have more to gain from No Deal than lose.
    I don't think it is Macron. It's the EU as a whole. They are agreed that breaching the single market rules isn't worth the candle of a deal with UK.
    This is palpable bullshit. A trade deal does not breach the Single Market rules because the UK is not in the Single Market. Any more than a trade deal between the EU and Canada breaches the Single Market rules. This is the lie that keeps being spread by he EU and their useful idiot supporters. We don't want to be in the Single Market. We just want a trade deal like any other third country. It is the EU who keep insisting we have to have some special arrangement.
    It takes two to tango. We do not get to set the counterpartys terms.
    Oh agreed. But we do get to reject them if we think they are being unreasonable. That is the way these things work. What is ludicrous is seeing all the Euroloons in the UK trying to justify the EU action as reasonable when it clearly is not.

That is not for a minute to excuse the idiocy of our own negotiating side and the duplicity of Johnson but this is very much a case of both sides being as bad as each other.

If it were not for the fact that we all suffer the consequences, this is another one of those all too common situations where you wish both sides could suffer a humiliating defeat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Email from a relative a few minutes ago: "I'm in two minds if [Covid] is real or not".

What do they think all these people are dying of?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    Foxy said:
    Wasn't that promised to the NHS?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

This whole Macron thing is an easy scapegoat for the UKs right wing press . He isn’t going to crash the chances of a deal against the other 26 members . The EU position hasn’t changed in 4 years , the more access you want the more you have to give in return . At the end of the day the EU feel pretty good at the moment , they’ve got the budget agreed , the recovery fund , rule of law mechanism and new emissions targets. A no deal will hurt them but they’re not going to put the single market at risk.

Perhaps the last few days is just theatrics and there still might be a deal , very hard to really know what’s going on and if any progress has been made .
    Macron's hard-line has been reported in many outlets and by many reporters, including the BBC.

It can't just be dismissed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

I think it is Macron. And I think it's all about the fish.
    Big Hitchhiker's fan is he?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Scott_xP said:
    Oh dear all these endless references to the war - really is time that France moved on :smiley: At any rate some calm will no doubt be very welcome in Paris - a nice change from their weekly riots.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    I don't disagree about anger at no deal Brexit, but is Heseltine really the best figure they could find to quote in criticism of it? The impact of him doing so as Tory grandee is somewhat reduced given his support for the LDs last year. I'm not going HYUFD on party loyalty or anything, it's just that a man who was so against any Brexit in any form may not be the best person to symbolise new concerns about no deal Brexit.
    Beyond the headline they did get Elwood and Green. That’s two serving MPs, making them marginally more significant than Heslitine, as acting together they would reduce the PM’s majority to a wafer thin squeaky bum time 76.

Seriously though, at what point do MPs not on the payroll, with no chance of ever getting on the payroll, turn round and look at the blank cheques being thrown around or promised,and say “this isn’t conservatism”? I don’t think, on balance, the party will have a Peelite type split - but significantly there is no “Johnsonite” wing of the party so it’s not impossible.
    There is no Johnsonite. Because there is only Johnson. Himself, his friends and their interests.
    That is his philosophy. It is entirely transactional.
  • Options

MattW said:

This is reminding me of an account of Arthur Scargill and the Stalin Society.
    eg https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/stalin-apologists-drink-to-the-memory-of-uncle-joe-120991.html

(This was when the Indy was still a newspaper)
    Corbyn's big day is elated to this??

https://twitter.com/RDHale_/status/1337861918434992128
    The 1%. Is that the LibDems?
    Who?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I suspect they don't think people are, as they 'only know 1 person that's had it' (which is a bit weird to then doubt it's real, but perhaps they mean they doubt the extent is real).

Bit worried to be honest - last 5 years they've been getting more and more conspiracy minded, including anti semitic ones, out of nowhere. Never shown a hint of such thinking to my knowledge beforehand.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It is utterly bizarre.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2020
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1337883457091997703?s=19

Where as we are only a few days from opening up....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

Foxy said:
    Wasn't that promised to the NHS?
    There's a lot of it about... 🙄
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,340
    Just caught up with the mung bean speech, wow!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    edited December 2020
    dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    I don't disagree about anger at no deal Brexit, but is Heseltine really the best figure they could find to quote in criticism of it? The impact of him doing so as Tory grandee is somewhat reduced given his support for the LDs last year. I'm not going HYUFD on party loyalty or anything, it's just that a man who was so against any Brexit in any form may not be the best person to symbolise new concerns about no deal Brexit.
    Beyond the headline they did get Elwood and Green. That’s two serving MPs, making them marginally more significant than Heslitine, as acting together they would reduce the PM’s majority to a wafer thin squeaky bum time 76.

Seriously though, at what point do MPs not on the payroll, with no chance of ever getting on the payroll, turn round and look at the blank cheques being thrown around or promised,and say “this isn’t conservatism”? I don’t think, on balance, the party will have a Peelite type split - but significantly there is no “Johnsonite” wing of the party so it’s not impossible.
    There is no Johnsonite. Because there is only Johnson. Himself, his friends and their interests.
    That is his philosophy. It is entirely transactional.
    I don’t think he has any friends even. I don’t know anyone who has met him who exactly warmed to the guy.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

They had the split and Johnson got his 80 seat majority when the centrists 'peeled off' so to speak. Leaving the big tent rarely works in practice - ask ChangeUK.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

I think the Poles only arrived in 1941-42 to form the Polish Army, coming out via Iran and Kenya after Barbarossa started.

In London, there was an active Polish community in the west of the capital. The Czechoslovaks settled in NW London (I once ate at the Czech & Slovak Club in West End Lane, quite an experience).

As someone else said, there were some soldiers from the various occupied countries who managed to effect an escape to Britain and would doubtless have tried to stop the invading Germans had they landed. There were various Governments-in-exile as well as King Haakon of Norway, Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands and other foreign royalty.

I remember that Czech club! A very unusual experience, a high ceilinged house, like eating in the front room of a seaside B&B. A rather subdued and formal atmosphere, with some aged Czech regulars in their Sunday best. A good preparation for visiting just after the iron curtain fell; if it’s still the same, today not so much.
    We have a Ukrainian club in Leicester (founded by Ukranians from the prewar Polish part of Ukraine around Lviv). Excellent Ukrainian beer, and good hosts for functions.
    Back when I was a kid there was a pretty active Polish club in Newark and a prominent Polish community centred around the Catholic church of which my Mum was and is a Lay Assistant. I have noticed over the years that whilst there are still plenty of people of Polish descent in the town, the community has faded as they have become more integrated into the general population. This is, in some ways at least, a shame I think as I did like the distinctness of their community and absolutely loved going to the club as a kid.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Isn't fever and disorientation one of the symptoms?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

I think it is Macron. And I think it's all about the fish. And he wants (for domestic consumption) to score a big victory over the Brits.
    Yep. The De Gaullist veto will undoubtedly go down well in France, where they love a hard line against Les Rosbifs.
  • Options
    felix said:

MattW said:

This is reminding me of an account of Arthur Scargill and the Stalin Society.
    eg https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/stalin-apologists-drink-to-the-memory-of-uncle-joe-120991.html

(This was when the Indy was still a newspaper)

The 1%. Is that the LibDems?
    Who?
    How long before The People's Party isn't for jewish people?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,914
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I suspect they don't think people are, as they 'only know 1 person that's had it' (which is a bit weird to then doubt it's real, but perhaps they mean they doubt the extent is real).

Bit worried to be honest - last 5 years they've been getting more and more conspiracy minded, including anti semitic ones, out of nowhere. Never shown a hint of such thinking to my knowledge beforehand.
    When did they join Facebook? :)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The internet is wonderful in so many ways and bloody awful in others.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    God I hate this government and Prime Minister....the news is unwatchable.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

I have been reading Callum Douglas's The Secret Horsepower War, which covers aircraft engine development in Britain, Germany and The USA. It is an exceptional book, though the technical side can be hard going for a non engineer.

Do you mean the Sectet Horsepower Race? It hjas been duly noted, thank you.

One of the most interesting pieces I ever read on engineering was a discussion of riveting technology in the 1930s and 1940s - also very important in increasing speed at the time ...

While we are hacing a Saturday evening chat, this is also to be recommended for a slightly later generation, as quite a classic sui generis (though some chemical knowledge is useful): Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants (Rutgers University Press Classics) by John Drury Clark
    I have a copy of that: a fascinating read.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208

I'm surprised it's taken the Germans to realise how bad things are.

A few people on here talking about cancelling plans for meeting up; I'm slowly chipping away at my lot, but it would be nice if the government could put a stop to what is bound to be a disaster.
  • Options

We are about to stick two fingers up at the Krauts and the Frogs. We know we are right and they are wrong. Because this is England.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    tlg86 said:

A few people on here talking about cancelling plans for meeting up; I'm slowly chipping away at my lot, but it would be nice if the government could put a stop to what is bound to be a disaster.
    The government really need to put a kibosh on it. Just say sorry, we can't risk it, we really can't. Instead, it will go ahead, then we will be back in total lockdown come Jan / Feb.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    edited December 2020
    Can I just say that the cartoon on the Telegraph front page at the moment showing Macron as a mermaid in the desert is perhaps one of the most bizarre I have ever seen. I have tried to work it out but it is just plain crazy and a bit unsettling.
  • Options

We are about to stick two fingers up at the Krauts and the Frogs. We know we are right and they are wrong. Because this is England.
    I would not be surprised if middle of next week we have one of Johnson's doom press evenings in which it is announced that there will be no xmas relaxation after all.
  • Options
    Roger said:

God I hate this government and Prime Minister....the news is unwatchable.

Were they showing the Strictly highlights again?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

When did they join Facebook? :)
    It...might actually be about 5 years, now you mention it. Certainly not much longer (hard for me to be sure, as I am not on it). Damn it.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    felix said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

They had the split and Johnson got his 80 seat majority when the centrists 'peeled off' so to speak. Leaving the big tent rarely works in practice - ask ChangeUK.
    You are quite right - it’s very unlikely. But are in a very different environment, including 2 full blown crises, to this time last year.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,357
    edited December 2020
    Never mind the right honourable member for [--------] and [--------], has anyone seen Jezza in the flesh recently? Could he be abroad...?
    https://twitter.com/Maomentum_/status/1337863677341544448
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    felix said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It was safest when the only thing people argued about was whether vi or emacs was better.

Perhaps those days should have been a warning as to what would happen if anyone other than geeks got access to message boards (or the modern equivalent).
  • Options
    Floyd Mayweather has flown in for the fight....takes the piss out of any covid restrictions....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Floyd Mayweather has flown in for the fight....takes the piss out of any covid restrictions....

Covid safe and carbon neutral innit
  • Options

Can I just say that the cartoon on the Telegraph front page at the moment showing Macron as a mermaid in the desert is perhaps one of the most bizarre I have ever seen. I have tried to work it out but it is just plain crazy and a bit unsettling.

https://twitter.com/bobscartoons/status/1337832689286705158
  • Options

I would not be surprised if middle of next week we have one of Johnson's doom press evenings in which it is announced that there will be no xmas relaxation after all.
    I'd be delighted if he does and if Spain does the same. Sadly I doubt if either will happen - the press and probably the people would simply not wear it.
  • Options

It was safest when the only thing people argued about was whether vi or emacs was better.

vi
  • Options
    1000 idiots belting out sweet Caroline with no masks....
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912

MattW said:

As leader of the opposition's he was probably part of the 1%
  • Options

kle4 said:

Life? Lots of people use it up and then die...

Just saying... :) Personally, I am a firm believer in Covid myself.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    And Starmer is planning to whip his party to vote for this shit?

Beyond belief. An absolute disaster of a decision.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The government really need to put a kibosh on it. Just say sorry, we can't risk it, we really can't. Instead, it will go ahead, then we will be back in total lockdown come Jan / Feb.
    I took the decision that xmas wasn't worth the risk a few weeks ago. Now that a vaccine is only weeks away for large numbers it seems bonkers to me for people to press on.

I keep telling people that this is October 1918. You are in the trenches and to be shot now would be a bloody shame.
    That's my elderly folks take, have done 9 months, we can do another 10 weeks.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    edited December 2020
    Scott_xP said:

On the topic of ICE development...

For a long time I have wanted to get copies of LJK Setright's Some Unusual Engines and The Power to Fly.

These days secondhand copies sell for over £200 each - and I don't want them that much.

I should have just borrowed the copies at my grammar school library and 'forgotten' to return them.

PS thanks for the tip on The Secret Horsepower Race... now added to Mrs P. Christmas shopping list :wink:

£85 right now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Some-Unusual-Engines-by-L-J-K-Setright-1975/401779574173
    Cheers, I have not seen below £100 whenever I have looked. £85 is still a bit hard to justify though - it's only a slim volume, 150 pages or so.

I keep hoping I will come across it in a village hall book sale for a fiver!
  • Options
    I think the Covid crisis is real and permeates the public mood. Brexit - I'm much less sure how much salience that has at ground level. You probably won't agree but outside the 'bubble' most folk don't really engage.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.
    Many of the best political cartoons are extremely simple stock images with a pithy line and that's it. You don't need to get high concept with this stuff.
  • Options

And Starmer is planning to whip his party to vote for this shit?

Beyond belief. An absolute disaster of a decision.

No

This is No Deal
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's rather funny.
  • Options
    felix said:

I think the Covid crisis is real and permeates the public mood. Brexit - I'm much less sure how much salience that has at ground level. You probably won't agree but outside the 'bubble' most folk don't really engage.

How can you tell from Catalonia?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.
    Many of the best political cartoons are extremely simple stock images with a pithy line and that's it. You don't need to get high concept with this stuff.
    I have been told that the French equivalent of "Oh my God!" is "Ah! La vache! which has left me extremely puzzled unless the almighty is a bovine. Perhaps Brian Aldiss knew more than we realised.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

vi
    On this .... I agree with you.

Emacs is the socialist's choice.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    felix said:

Exactly. Brexit is "done" as far as most people are concerned. Nobody expects anything to change at the end of the year, at least in a way that affects their everyday lives.

If it does...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.
    I have been told that the French equivalent of "Oh my God!" is "Ah! La vache! which has left me extremely puzzled unless the almighty is a bovine. Perhaps Brian Aldiss knew more than we realised.
    Mon dieu surely? Or Putain (ruder).
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    Indicates a government that has totally lost the plot.

If the UK government subsidised these companies to the extent that they overcame the effect of tariffs, the EU will slap countervailing duties on UK goods. Which they are perfectly entitled to do under WTO rules.
    Scott_xP said:
  • Options
    The EU's "talk to the hand" choreography makes it all the more bizarre since everyone knows that the solution to this is political and the blockage is bilateral between Macron and Boris. So those talks needed to take place.

And yet for appearances sake they maintain this façade of absolute Spartan-like unity commanded by the hive mind in Brussels.

Intractable and insecure, which will ultimately result in a lose-lose.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

The EU's "talk to the hand" choreography makes it all the more bizarre since everyone knows that the solution to this is political and the blockage is bilateral between Macron and Boris. So those talks needed to take place.

And yet for appearances sake they maintain this façade of absolute Spartan-like unity commanded by the hive mind in Brussels.

Mail reporting it is now Merkel that is pissed with Boris and won't budge.
  • Options
    I think now would be a good time to revive my plan of breaking the deadlock by gifting the EU one of the Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers.

Macron would love that, and the rest of the EU. They could ponce around and send their shiny new carrier everywhere to 'project naval power', we'd cut our losses and not have to buy aircraft for the thing. It was clearly intended for a nascent EU Navy anyway - they might as well have the thing.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Cheers Scott. I am not on Twitter so was unsure how to show the cartoon.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.
    I know "merde" is the equivalent of "oh bother" rather than the direct translation.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.
    Mon Dieu certainly. Perhaps it is an equivalent of OMG! ?
  • Options

I think now would be a good time to revive my plan of breaking the deadlock by gifting the EU one of the Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers.

Macron would love that, and the rest of the EU. They could ponce around and send their shiny new carrier everywhere to 'project naval power', we'd cut our losses and not have to buy aircraft for the thing. It was clearly intended for a nascent EU Navy anyway - they might as well have the thing.

Even better, don't need to gift it, just offer it at a cut down price, so we get something back for it while they still get a bargin, and unlock a deal too.
  • Options

No, the EU27 have had a consistent position all along, and that is the one that Barnier negotiates. Going round to Merkel or Macron fundamentally misunderstands how a union works. A union stands together, and has an appointed negotiator.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That's rather funny.
    It is?
  • Options

felix said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps those days should have been a warning as to what would happen if anyone other than geeks got access to message boards (or the modern equivalent).
    Vi? Is that thing still around? I thought everyone had moved to Nano? (Or Pico depending on distro)
  • Options

Why would they want that white elephant?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Even better, don't need to gift it, just offer it at a cut down price, so we get something back for it while they still get a bargin, and unlock a deal too.
    At this point (for the sake of everyone's sanity - more than for the actual ramifications of no deal) I'd give it gratis it to seal the deal, and for them to back the fuck off our fish. If the French fishermen are unhappy, Macron can menace them with his new aircraft carrier.
  • Options

You wanna give them the (currently) working one, or the broken one?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.
    My favourite French curse as taught to me by a very old friend from Nantes is

"Putain de nom de dieu
    de bon dieu
    de cent million pompes a merde".
  • Options
    Foxy said:

People like big things, especially if they don't have to pay for them (or not full price).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

If they'd take the broken one, that obvs. but I wouldn't really care if they want the one that floats.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

No, the EU27 have had a consistent position all along, and that is the one that Barnier negotiates. Going round to Merkel or Macron fundamentally misunderstands how a union works. A union stands together, and has an appointed negotiator.
    That only works if the negotiator has the authority to negotiate, to change positions. It doesn't work if they're stuck to a mandate.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@HYUFD wouldn't be happy. It is a key part of his invasion force for the Spanish campaign.
  • Options

Vi? Is that thing still around? I thought everyone had moved to Nano? (Or Pico depending on distro)

Still use it on the firewalls. Can't load "fancy" software on there...
  • Options
    edited December 2020

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.
    It could be a Holy cow, though?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.
    Ah ha!! Brilliant! :+1::+1::+1:
  • Options

If they'd take the broken one, that obvs. but I wouldn't really care if they want the one that floats.

They both float, but only one of them goes
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Foxy said:

Yes, but the point being the pretence it is not individual nations and individual concerns which hold things up. Yes they will stand together and that's only right, but that doesn't mean leader X or Y is not the problem that causes progress to stick and when it gets widely reported, likely as a result of leaks or official statements from those leaders, it is insulting to act as though they are not the ones who need persuading, following which the others will fall in line.

It's phoney choreography, as much as when the negotiators on both sides pretend after each talk they need to go back and ask for more instructions, as though none of them had ever considered what the other side might ask for, and that they don't have instructions on how to respond to most scenarios.
  • Options

Foxy said:

That only works if the negotiator has the authority to negotiate, to change positions. It doesn't work if they're stuck to a mandate.
    The EU has redlines too, and always have.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    24 hours to find out exactly how screwed we are on a spectrum from somewhat to prodigiously.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Still use it on the firewalls. Can't load "fancy" software on there...
    I thought Nano was tiny (thus the name)?

For day to day stuff I tend to use Geany, Kate or Eclipse
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@HYUFD wouldn't be happy. It is a key part of his invasion force for the Spanish campaign.
    One of them is. The other is for Scotland.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Is this a serious question?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

I am quite looking forward to the PB Tories chasing French fishing boats with the aircraft carriers. Bigger is better... :D:D
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

This just cannot be right if you go by this forum

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1337777940445138947?s=19

If allegedly witty (re-)tweets and memes reflected real-world opinion, Labour would indeed be 20 points ahead. But fortunately they don't.
    Much of the fieldwork for this poll is pretty old - certainly much older than that for last weekend's Opinium poll.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.
    Yes, the French had Indian colonies too, for a while at least.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

One of the constants on PB is reading that the UK is talking to the wrong people.

If its talking to Macron or Merkel then we're told it would be better to talk to the EU.

If its talking to the EU then we're told it would be better to talk to Macron and Merkel.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.

"Putain de nom de dieu
    de bon dieu
    A very detailed curse. I can see why Anglo-Saxon expletives are so popular given their small, compact, and efficient format ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

One of them is. The other is for Scotland.
    Um, that's the liberation of Scotland from the secessionist forces, thank you very much, in no way similar to the invasion of Spain.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

How completely unfunny.

"Putain de nom de dieu
    de bon dieu
    Not as 'good' as the Spanish (I don't know how to spell the Spanish, so I'll translate) 'I shit on the beach' - or for really extreme situations 'I shit on God'. :astonished:
This discussion has been closed.