Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I’m laying Marcus Rashford for Sports Personality Of The Year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013

dixiedean said:

Would be ironic if a campaign is begun not to vote for Hamilton because of BLM, or Rashford because of FSM.
    And the virtue signalling Right vote goes to Ronnie...
    He's the most left wing of the three.

Ah but he is proper left wing cockney style not liberal left . TBH I dont think Ronnie is political in the sense of what PB people are he just votes labour like 40% of so of the population do from time to time
    True. But he is the only one who we know for certain where his Party allegiances lie. Very interestingly, he makes no political statements except that he votes Labour. He may well be ultra liberal Left for all we know.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Off topic, my sense is the economy is turning a corner.

Virutally everyone I speak to is *much* busier than they were in October (myself included) so I'm starting to buy FTSE250 funds again, which look cheap.

This is partly on the presumption of a Brexit deal, which I think will be finalised during the 1st week of December, with final chess pieces gradually moving into place over the next 2 weeks.

Whilst I share you optimism I do worry that it might not pass, IDS and plenty of ERGers are making plenty of noise about rejecting any compromise.
    I think it will. I think the irreconcilables will number about 30-40 MPs, not well over a hundred, and most ERG trust Frost and Boris that the battles have been well fought unlike Robbins and May.

I think Boris can count on at least 320 votes, which should be enough for it to pass easily with opposition abstentions.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Starmer whips Labour to vote for it.
  • Options

Completely off topic, but maybe worthy of a post, I think the most important politician to watch globally is Mitt Romney. I agree with him on almost nothing, but he has emerged from this electoral soap opera with a great deal of credit and honour. I wonder if he could challenge in 2024 or 2028? He could yet be the man to save the GOP. I wish him well.

I think that's like arguing John Major is the man to save the Tories.

Whoever it is it won't be Romney.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Completely off topic, but maybe worthy of a post, I think the most important politician to watch globally is Mitt Romney. I agree with him on almost nothing, but he has emerged from this electoral soap opera with a great deal of credit and honour. I wonder if he could challenge in 2024 or 2028? He could yet be the man to save the GOP. I wish him well.

The 2024 GOP nomination will be the greatest clown show on earth. Which of the Trumps will run ? Ivanka surely has more appeal than the sons nationally. It'll probably be Don Jr knowing the GOP base. The base is batshit mental.
    Lara Trump? iirc she is running for a senate seat.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The 2024 GOP nomination will be the greatest clown show on earth. Which of the Trumps will run ? Ivanka surely has more appeal than the sons nationally. It'll probably be Don Jr knowing the GOP base. The base is batshit mental.
    Don't make the same mistakes Hillary did.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

Romney is 73 years old so in four or eight years time...
    Perfect age to stand, if we take the recent precedents.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is partly on the presumption of a Brexit deal, which I think will be finalised during the 1st week of December, with final chess pieces gradually moving into place over the next 2 weeks.

The lack of any big Brexit stories in the Sunday papers does suggest a deal of some kind is in the offing.
    Do you think this means it is inevitable we will join the euro, and lead the creation of a new federal tax system, police force and European navy as part of our first joint presidency of the council and commission?
    National currencies are so passe. Within a decade the British government will be forced to borrow in Bitcoin.
    Bitcoin: the unexplainable in pursuit of the indefinable.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Pulpstar said:

Rory Mcilroy is like Hillary Clinton in this market

Rory McIlroy
    -£116.81
    Tyson Fury
    £3.88
    The field
    £15.19

What price is Hillary?
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

IIRC the Beeb stated a few weeks back that Rashford wouldn't be shortlisted for SPOTY as he had no significant sporting achievement to justify a nomination.

The BBC must have said it very quietly if he has not been laid off the boards on Betfair.
    This from the "Daily Mail" among many indicating the same :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8881815/Marcus-Rashford-set-miss-BBCs-Sports-Personality-Year-shortlist.html

I think a "special award" is likely as has happened in the past.
    Except that a special award *would* be political which is what the BBC is trying to avoid.
  • Options
    Incidentally, today is the 30th anniversary of Margaret Thatcher's defenestration - pbuh.

A very important date in our political history.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:
    I am not an anti-vaxxer. I do not believe, as many do, that it is the quick route to a one world government presided over by flickering-tongued reptilian overlords or, worse, communists. My rules for whether or not to have a vaccine have always been simple: is it for the good of the community, and do the risks associated with contracting the illness outweigh the risks of the vaccine itself? So with Covid I’m about 50% convinced. Here are the reasons for my doubts.

First, the government has drawn up a list of 11 priority categories for vaccination. Among the first five — those who will get the vaccine first — are the aged, from over-65s upwards. At first sight this seems sensible, because the virus has proved most lethal within those age groups. The problem is, these are the people least likely to catch Covid.

If you examine the excess death statistics for the UK, you will find that remarkably, the over-85s — the most vulnerable category of all — have shown a negative excess death rate for the past four months. In other words, fewer are dying than usual. This suggests to me that the very elderly have been taking precautions that have, by a useful corollary, protected them from other life-threatening infections.

Might this not be our best form of protection in future? To take personal responsibility for our safety, as the elderly are doing? The French, incidentally, have drawn up a different list of prioritised citizens — it includes those who deal with other members of the public: hospitality workers, cab drivers, health workers and so on. This seems to me far more sensible.
    I have undertaken to avoid being dismissive and sarcastic.
    I did know that this would sometimes be harder than at other times. Best if I simply step away for a few minutes.

Deep breaths....
    Yeth and I'm only thixtheen.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

The point about SPotY is that is a two-stage contest. The first, being nominated, is about performance on the pitch, track or table; in the pool or in the ring. But the second is the public vote, more akin to Reality TV betting. Sporting achievement gets you into the Big Brother House, or into the Welsh Jungle, but from then on it is about who picks up the phone on the night.

The question is not about whether Ronnie has achieved more than Lewis but whether either has done enough to be amongst the 10 or 12 nominated. That is where the role of sport ends and it is down to public appeal.

Very much so.

The big question is do the BBC allow Rashford to be nominated, given his lack of on-the-pitch achievements?

If not, as I assume, then his short price (3/1 ish second fav) gives value to the rest of the field.

In previous years they've allowed up to a dozen nominations, it will be interesting to see how many horses take the start line in this race, given the paucity of actual achievement in an extraordinary year.
  • Options

I see ozil and piers moron are having a spat on the twitter....its alien vs prederator on who I want to win.

The Ozil situation must be the most bizarre in football ever. No one seems to be digging too hard as to exactly why he is on the sidelines.So we are paying record wages to one of the best playmakers of all time whilst we play the most boring and least successful football since the 80s

If it is because of his comments on Muslims in China, then it is quite disgraceful. I have heard this is the reason. He has played a lot since he made them though, under Arteta too. Emery obv couldnt have him but I think that was football reasons. He used to cry off a lot under Arsene, but he indulged him.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Another day, another leak to the press.

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1330591897107230722

The Speaker will not be iimpressed.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326

I'd have Major back as PM in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The point about SPotY is that is a two-stage contest. The first, being nominated, is about performance on the pitch, track or table; in the pool or in the ring. But the second is the public vote, more akin to Reality TV betting. Sporting achievement gets you into the Big Brother House, or into the Welsh Jungle, but from then on it is about who picks up the phone on the night.

The question is not about whether Ronnie has achieved more than Lewis but whether either has done enough to be amongst the 10 or 12 nominated. That is where the role of sport ends and it is down to public appeal.

Very much so.

The big question is do the BBC allow Rashford to be nominated, given his lack of on-the-pitch achievements?

If not, as I assume, then his short price (3/1 ish second fav) gives value to the rest of the field.

In previous years they've allowed up to a dozen nominations, it will be interesting to see how many horses take the start line in this race, given the paucity of actual achievement in an extraordinary year.
    yes if they go to 12 Dominic Cummings might get nominated for rally driving to Barnard Castle and back
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    edited November 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:
    I am not an anti-vaxxer. I do not believe, as many do, that it is the quick route to a one world government presided over by flickering-tongued reptilian overlords or, worse, communists. My rules for whether or not to have a vaccine have always been simple: is it for the good of the community, and do the risks associated with contracting the illness outweigh the risks of the vaccine itself? So with Covid I’m about 50% convinced. Here are the reasons for my doubts.

First, the government has drawn up a list of 11 priority categories for vaccination. Among the first five — those who will get the vaccine first — are the aged, from over-65s upwards. At first sight this seems sensible, because the virus has proved most lethal within those age groups. The problem is, these are the people least likely to catch Covid.

If you examine the excess death statistics for the UK, you will find that remarkably, the over-85s — the most vulnerable category of all — have shown a negative excess death rate for the past four months. In other words, fewer are dying than usual. This suggests to me that the very elderly have been taking precautions that have, by a useful corollary, protected them from other life-threatening infections.

Might this not be our best form of protection in future? To take personal responsibility for our safety, as the elderly are doing? The French, incidentally, have drawn up a different list of prioritised citizens — it includes those who deal with other members of the public: hospitality workers, cab drivers, health workers and so on. This seems to me far more sensible.
    I did know that this would sometimes be harder than at other times. Best if I simply step away for a few minutes.

Deep breaths....
    Yeth and I'm only thixtheen.
    The joke only really works in response to 'big breaths', Shirley.

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

IIRC the Beeb stated a few weeks back that Rashford wouldn't be shortlisted for SPOTY as he had no significant sporting achievement to justify a nomination.

The BBC must have said it very quietly if he has not been laid off the boards on Betfair.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8881815/Marcus-Rashford-set-miss-BBCs-Sports-Personality-Year-shortlist.html

Except that a special award *would* be political which is what the BBC is trying to avoid.
    Should be ok - HMG have already given him one special award:

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/marcus-rashford-reacts-to-being-awarded-an-mbe
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

Whereas a win in the main award would't be political ?!?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

Indeed, the first post election 2024 GOP nomination polls have Romney shooting up to second behind Trump if he runs again or Pence if he does not to be the Republican nominee to challenge by then President Biden or the Democratic nominee if he does not decide to run for re election

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1328758765248770049?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1328759344549203968?s=20

• Options
    edited November 2020

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

They could surround it with language that this year, when not a lot happened on the field, sportsmen got pushed to the forefront of campaigning, using their platform and social media following for the greater good - and invite Rashford up to collect the special honour on behalf of campaigning sportsmen, or something similar.

It could all be done in a couple of minutes, whereas ignoring the issue completely could generate dozens of negative comment pieces in the Guardian.

They must also know that putting him in for the main award will make the whole event horribly political, given that he'd most likely win on the basis of political campaign groups mobilising their vote.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Surely concede and then piss off to the golf course until law enforcement catches up?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139

I know he is a bit young but he looks older than he is
    I’m amazed he is 73!! He looks 15 years younger. He’s a teetotaller (and also avoids caffeine) but then so are Trump and Biden!

Obama was the odd man out - a drinker and a smoker (of various things).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    It’s really quite enjoyable to watch so many senior Republicans tearing the orange haired wannabe Chavez a new one.

If only they’d done it *before* he was defeated.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

Whereas a win in the main award would't be political ?!?
    No because the main award is voted for by the public, not by the BBC.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

They could surround it with language that this year, when not a lot happened on the field, sportsmen got pushed to the forefront of campaigning, using their platform and social media following for the greater good - and invite Rashford up to collect the special honour on behalf of campaigning sportsmen, or something similar.

It could all be done in a couple of minutes, whereas ignoring the issue completely could generate dozens of negative comment pieces in the Guardian.

They must also know that putting him in for the main award will make the whole event horribly political, given that he'd most likely win on the basis of political campaign groups mobilising their vote.
    The tabloids will crucify the BBC if Rashford is left out; the Telegraph and Spectator if he is in.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My view is the Trumptons will probably go for Junior or Ivanka, but neither will get the nomination. I think if the likes of Romney play their cards right, the Trumptonite fish will rot from the head.
  • Options

I’m amazed he is 73!! He looks 15 years younger. He’s a teetotaller (and also avoids caffeine) but then so are Trump and Biden!

I’m slightly surprised to learn that Bob Dole is still alive, and therefore the only other living Republican to have run for President.

But I suppose he’s a similar age to Jimmy Carter, who continues to defy all medical predictions and is still active at the grand old age of 96 despite his brush with cancer.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

My view is the Trumptons will probably go for Junior or Ivanka, but neither will get the nomination. I think if the likes of Romney play their cards right, the Trumptonite fish will rot from the head.
    The only way the likes of Romney gets his party back, is to have a plausible nominee in place, and everyone on his side of the party behind that one nominee, before the primaries start.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

The only way the likes of Romney gets his party back, is to have a plausible nominee in place, and everyone on his side of the party behind that one nominee, before the primaries start.
    Romney has many sterling qualities and might have made an OK President, but even allowing for his other weaknesses his time has passed. Harris would eat him alive in a presidential race.

The smart move for the Republicans would be to rally behind Nikki Haley. But as it’s the smart move she has no chance.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    ydoethur said:

I’m slightly surprised to learn that Bob Dole is still alive, and therefore the only other living Republican to have run for President.

But I suppose he’s a similar age to Jimmy Carter, who continues to defy all medical predictions and is still active at the grand old age of 96 despite his brush with cancer.
    W.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

The tabloids will crucify the BBC if Rashford is left out; the Telegraph and Spectator if he is in.
    Got it! The BBC should nominate Rashford, hope he does not win, but cover themselves by inviting Boris to present the prize.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If he hangs on another couple of months, we'll be back up to six living Presidents.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

RobD said:

There is an interesting conversation to have there for *potential* risk vs *realised* risk.

That is, those who must vulnerable if everything was normal, vs those whose are turning out to be highest casualties at the moment.
  • Options

Sir John Major won against all odds in 1992.

One of the most underrated politicians in British history.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Gaussian said:

ydoethur said:

W.
    I was trying to reply to Hyufd’s comment about W and Romney having congratulated Biden, which would make Dole the only other living Republican to run for President (bearing in mind Trump isn’t actually a Republican). Somehow I picked the wrong one to quote, which can happen to the best of us.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Virutally everyone I speak to is *much* busier than they were in October (myself included) so I'm starting to buy FTSE250 funds again, which look cheap.

Whilst I share you optimism I do worry that it might not pass, IDS and plenty of ERGers are making plenty of noise about rejecting any compromise.
    I think it will. I think the irreconcilables will number about 30-40 MPs, not well over a hundred, and most ERG trust Frost and Boris that the battles have been well fought unlike Robbins and May.

I think Boris can count on at least 320 votes, which should be enough for it to pass easily with opposition abstentions.
    Very plausible. I mean, that was the whole reason May bet everything on an election that seemed like it would reward her with a big majority, as you need a big one to overcome those who won't accept any compromise (sure a few more get in, but they are outnumbered by loyalists). Boris was flavour of the month with the people opposed to a deal (even if it were in our favour), but that was marriage of convenience. If he has a deal, he has the numbers to get it through.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

If he hangs on another couple of months, we'll be back up to six living Presidents.
    Eat your heart out, EU.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

When was the last time we were down to one? Was it Nixon when after Truman’s death Johnson was the lone survivor (and then died himself, leaving no ex-President at all)? I think it must have been.

Edit. D’oh! Ford, of course.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

The cyclist will will, best organized lobby in sport.

Cycling has achieved great acclaim during its periods of success, but its lobby will never convince the wider public that it is a cool sport, however.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Romney has many sterling qualities and might have made an OK President, but even allowing for his other weaknesses his time has passed. Harris would eat him alive in a presidential race.

The smart move for the Republicans would be to rally behind Nikki Haley. But as it’s the smart move she has no chance.
    The GoP have lost the PV in seven of the eight last Presidential elections. They have no chance of improving on that dismal record unless they carry Trump supporters with them.

One way or another, they have to run with a Trump-friendly candidate. I'd guess Don Jnr, if he isn't incapacitated in any way. Coronavirus and chokey would be the main risks.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

Forgive my ignorance, but you've lost me there.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

The GoP have lost the PV in seven of the eight last Presidential elections. They have no chance of improving on that dismal record unless they carry Trump supporters with them.

One way or another, they have to run with a Trump-friendly candidate. I'd guess Don Jnr, if he isn't incapacitated in any way. Coronavirus and chokey would be the main risks.
    Ummm - even with Trump, they’ve lost the popular vote twice on the spin.

If they want to win the popular vote, it’s Dems they need to get into their fold.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

They only have 5 serving presidents.

• Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

Even though they have two presidents at once, where the US manage with one?

Dear me, that’s pathetic.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Another day, another leak to the press.

The Speaker will not be iimpressed.

It feels like Speakers have not been impressed by such behaviour as long as I have been alive. Presumably it's gotten worse in the age of 24 hour instant news, but no one seems to care. He'll complain, they'll apologise, it'll happen again, he'll complaint, they'll apologise, it'll happen again...
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

OK.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

The sheer number of presidents the EU seems to need.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Trump Jr is the archetypal drone rich kid son with absolutely no skills or ability of his own. He wouldn't last five minutes in the primaries, let alone the main race. Only Ivanka of the Trump children appears to have the native cunning necessary, and I don't think she has enough to pull it off either. If the Trump children do want to go for a political career - unlike as politics doesn't really make the sort of money they'd want - I can see one or two of them maybe finding a super-safe House seat somewhere not too flyovery for their tastes, maybe a Senate seat somewhere if one really lucks out, but that would be their limit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

Oh, right.
  • Options
    Are students too righteous to stand w Farage or will money talk?

https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1330601985750536193?s=20
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

When was the last time we were down to one? Was it Nixon when after Truman’s death Johnson was the lone survivor (and then died himself, leaving no ex-President at all)? I think it must have been.

Edit. D’oh! Ford, of course.
    Well only Obama of the living Presidents was born after 1947 (1961), including the one who hasn't even been sworn in yet! He could well be the only survivor a decade from now.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Why? My brother’s in-laws are lifelong committed Republicans and have been forced to vote Democratic* or not vote at all for the last eight years because they think Trump is a disaster for America.

There is a centre-right conservative majority in the US, why couldn’t a decent Republican win?

*his mother in law actually does hold her nose to vote apparently!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

I hope he does. Possibly the finest human being ever to have been president, and a man who in forty years of hard work has done more good for the world for little reward than any other president. He’s clearly much enjoying Georgia turning blue again to judge from his official twitter feed. The world could do with more people of the quality of Jimmy Carter.

Shame he was such a shite President really.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Romney would be a far more qualified President than Harris if Biden does not run for re election, though I agree Haley is likely to be the moderate candidate for the GOP nomination in 2024 against one of the Trumps or Pence
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    isam said:

Surely pitched at the parents and grandparents of students, rather than the actual sutdents themselves - most of whom abhor Farage.
  • Options
    RobD said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

Isn't that just pedantry.

You might as well argue that America has two Presidents at the same time.

POTUS and the VP who is ex officio President of the Senate.

As with America the EU has different branches of government.

I mean I could also add the President Pro Tempore of the Senate
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    Evening all :)

I've been musing on the notion of personal responsibility and "freedom" during the pandemic. I start from the notion everyone has a unique perspective on this based on their circumstances and assessment of risk. Do I want to catch the virus? Not especially. Could I die from it? Given my age and general medical condition, I reckon I'm at about 10% risk of mortality. Mrs Stodge, for reasons I won't expound on here, might be nearer 40%.

In other words, as is the case with so many I believe, I adjust my behaviour as much to protect her as to protect myself. Thus, the notion of self-responsibility goes beyond the self - the limitations I put on my personal freedom are placed voluntarily by me to protect her.

Beyond that, there's the law of the land - I didn't vote for Boris Johnson or the Conservative Party but they won and have the mandate to make the laws (as well as the accountability for the effectiveness of said laws). Obeying the law of the land is not a matter of debate - it's the law - the enforcement of that law and the degree of that enforcement seems variable but it's true for many laws. They rely on mutual consent because the means of adequate enforcement just doesn't exist.

If I want to wear a mask to protect myself and Mrs S, I will. The tyranny of those telling us to take off masks is to be resisted. To be honest, going into a shop and seeing the law flouted encourages me to leave the shop but it shouldn't be for shop staff to enforce the law though in practical terms that's all there is.

The "Christmas argument" seems to vary between the notions of self-responsibility and a desperate desire for some semblance of normality to end a less than normal year. That means assessing the risk for you and yours against the desire for that normality. Should the Government be enforcing that risk assessment for us?
  • Options
    isam said:

For once Farage is right. "One swallow does not a summer make".
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

To clarify: 1. European Parliament president – David-Maria Sassoli ; 2. European Council president – Charles Michel ; 3. European Commission president – Ursula von der Leyen ; 4. Presidency of the Council of the EU - unknown Belgian ; 5. President of the ECB - Christine Lagarde.
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

They have five at once:
    1. European Parliament president – David-Maria Sassoli ; 2. European Council president – Charles Michel ; 3. European Commission president – Ursula von der Leyen ; 4. Presidency of the Council of the EU - unknown Belgian ; 5. President of the ECB - Christine Lagarde.

• Options

isam said:

twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1330601985750536193?s=20

Surely pitched at the parents and grandparents of students, rather than the actual sutdents themselves - most of whom abhor Farage.
    Well that's why I asked the question!
  • Options

isam said:

Traditionally you're right, but the students themselves might be amenable to his message, given he's the only politician apparently making the case for them right now.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    geoffw said:

They have five at once:
    1. European Parliament president – David-Maria Sassoli ; 2. European Council president – Charles Michel ; 3. European Commission president – Ursula von der Leyen ; 4. Presidency of the Council of the EU - unknown Belgian ; 5. President of the ECB - Christine Lagarde.

The Presidency of the Council of the EU just refers to the rotating presidency, currently Germany, so isn't one of the five. The fifth was the President of the Eurogroup, which isn't really an official position.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,271
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

To clarify: 1. European Parliament president – David-Maria Sassoli ; 2. European Council president – Charles Michel ; 3. European Commission president – Ursula von der Leyen ; 4. Presidency of the Council of the EU - unknown Belgian ; 5. President of the ECB - Christine Lagarde.
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

They have five at once:

Just a quiet note that the UK has a Governor of the Bank of England, a Prime Minister, A Queen, a Speaker of the House of Commons and a Lord President of the Council, which are also all are different jobs. Showing your contempt through such ignorance of the EU is why much of 2021 is going to be one hell of a wake up call for the UK,
  • Options

isam said:

I thought that was Bill Clinton’s motto?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

If there had been a swallow, he wouldn't have been in so much trouble with the stained blue dress.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

"One swallow does not a summer make".
    Sounds more like Junckers.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894

The question for me is whether the GOP needs Trump more than Trump needs the GOP. I could envisage Trump breaking with the GOP and setting up his own political movement (pace Theodore Roosevelt) which could run as an effective "third party" in both 2022 and 2024.

As Teddy did, it would hand the 2024 Presidential election to the Democrats with the anti-Democrat vote split but the inevitable post-Trump reconciliation of the centre-right would offer the GOP a big chance of regaining the WH in 2028.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    isam said:

isam said:

You can simultaneously support a policy whilst thinking Farage and the Brexit Party are twats of the highest order.

It has nothing to do with righteousness.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Cicero said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

They have five at once:

Just a quiet note that the UK has a Governor of the Bank of England, a Prime Minister, A Queen, a Speaker of the House of Commons and a Lord President of the Council, which are also all are different jobs. Showing your contempt through such ignorance of the EU is why much of 2021 is going to be one hell of a wake up call for the UK,
    How have I showed ignorance of the EU in that post?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

If they want to win the popular vote, it’s Dems they need to get into their fold.
    The Republicans have got a tricky problem going forward.

They need someone who can attract Trump voters without repelling Trump opponents. It's not obvious that such a paragon exists. Or they need a different map.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

The “hilarity” at the amount of “presidents” the EU have is just ignorance. The EU simply calls positions “president” where we would normally use “Chairperson” or “leader of X”.
  • Options

He would be wise to do so; it will help him move on from Brexit and give him the freedom to "build" on it (i.e. closer ties) if and when he wins later, because it will actually give him a chance of victory.
  • Options

Incidentally, today is the 30th anniversary of Margaret Thatcher's defenestration - pbuh.

It's another political anniversary.

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1330455757389787139
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    Farage seems to have adopted a holding position. Attacking many aspects of policy to get and keep him in the news whilst awaiting the big one...
  • Options
    edited November 2020

He would be wise to do so; it will help him move on from Brexit and give him the freedom to "build" on it (i.e. closer ties) if and when he wins later, because it will actually give him a chance of victory.
    There’s no chance of Labour voting against a deal. They’ll either abstain or support it. The result is the same regardless.
  • Options

RobD said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

The fact they adopt similar language and titles to the United States isn't an accident.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

The Republicans have got a tricky problem going forward.

They need someone who can attract Trump voters without repelling Trump opponents. It's not obvious that such a paragon exists. Or they need a different map.
    Extending Trump’s inroads into Hispanic voters seems like an obvious play
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

The “hilarity” at the amount of “presidents” the EU have is just ignorance. The EU simply calls positions “president” where we would normally use “Chairperson” or “leader of X”.
    So who is actually the President, the one person in charge?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

You can simultaneously support a policy whilst thinking Farage and the Brexit Party are twats of the highest order.

It has nothing to do with righteousness.
    Haha
  • Options

Sir John Major won against all odds in 1992.

One of the most underrated politicians in British history.
    I mean, selecting him today. Given how loved he is in the Tory party today.

Romney is a has-been who doesn't understand nor accept the way American politics has changed.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

RobD said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

And the 50 Governors are effectively the President of their states.
  • Options
    When was the last time the Republicans lost the popular vote four or more times in succession?

I’m assuming it was 1932-1948 (five times) and I’m also thinking that’s the only other time it’s happened since the party was founded.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

In charge of what?
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

Lighten up old fellow, it's not gallows humour.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Romney would be a far more qualified President than Harris if Biden does not run for re election, though I agree Haley is likely to be the moderate candidate for the GOP nomination in 2024 against one of the Trumps or Pence
    If I were a GOP candidate in 2024 I'd try to sign up Ivanka as VP in order to attract the Trump base while not alienating moderates because she is at best RINO.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

In charge of what?
    The EU.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

In charge of what?
    The EU.
    The EU is not a nation state and therefore does not have a head of state.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I wonder which episode he watched.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Eat your heart out, EU.

They have five at once:

All it really indicates is the versatility of the word 'president'.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823

isam said:

How much difference would it make when so few will ever pay back?
  • Options

It's another political anniversary.

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1330455757389787139
    It's a very impressive accomplishment in a democratic society, she deserves much respect even though there will have been serious choices people disagreed with her about. It'd be funny if she kept going, though I don't remember the last update from our german correspondents on what is up with the party leadership after the annointed successor quit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I'm old enough to remember some people writing very petty and bitter articles complaining The Crown was pro royal propaganda

https://unherd.com/2019/09/downton-abbey-makes-fools-of-us-all/
  • Options
    Most episodes fit that description. But it's drama, not documentary. Of course.

• Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

How much difference would it make when so few will ever pay back?
    I’ll certainly pay back my postgraduate student loan, unless I’m unemployed for the next 30 years I guess.
This discussion has been closed.