Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I’m laying Marcus Rashford for Sports Personality Of The Year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Sir Lewis Hamilton for SPOTY!

Rashford hasn't won a trophy for playing sport this year, would the BBC really want to politicise such an event the week before Christmas?

A tax exile deserves nothing but contempt.
    He's in the top 5,000 UK taxpayers, what's your ranking?

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Rashford hasn't won a trophy for playing sport this year, would the BBC really want to politicise such an event the week before Christmas?

Still not paying what HMG would see as his fair share - like other greedy selfish b*stards.
  • Options
    On topic, as I've said before, my SPotY tip is Hollie Doyle to be placed. Unfortunately, none of the books is offering each-way prices yet but this may well change as we get closer to the awards on 20/12.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

I have stood on Stowe Corner and heard the thump of engines pass in a blur of senseless motion.

Not quite this ...

'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.'
    But I've never met a nice South African.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Surely they deserve a tax demand?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Still not paying what HMG would see as his fair share - like other greedy selfish b*stards.
    So you pay less tax than Lewis Hamilton, you deserve nothing but contempt.

If he's not paying what HMG considers his fair share they can take appropriate action.

This is what happens when you earn your primary income in 20 different countries, and your secondary in even more, you pay income in that country, so you don't get double taxed.

You do realise the UK has many many people in this country who pay taxes here and not in their home countries.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,012
    Just noticed Joe Wicks is 50-1.
    It's been a thin year.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

I'm sure one reason most sports people head to Monaco is to simplify their tax - it allows you to pay tax in each country taxing you without having to handle double tax treaties.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    edited November 2020

I have stood on Stowe Corner and heard the thump of engines pass in a blur of senseless motion. A few minutes later and it's rinse and repeat.

Without a doubt the dullest "sport" ever known to humankind and not, in fact, a sport at all. It's a constructors' championship in a moribund and misogynistic industry flogging dead petrol engines. If F1 had any point or purpose it would have been entirely electric twenty years ago: leading the world.

And with that I bid everyone adieu. G'day all.

I love this post. However, you didn't stand on Stowe corner for no reason. Engines and speed and the rush of technology are magical. Wow = the future.

(Edit: this is horrible English
    'You didn't stand on Stowe Corner without reason'
    )
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Nonsense, Liverpool won the Premier League, best year ever.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Not much competition for the team of the year award in 2020!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Indeed, though in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't object if the team of the year was given to the West Indies and/or Pakistan for coming over and playing cricket here this summer.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

The Stockley Park VAR crew should be a shoo-in.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Indeed, though in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't object if the team of the year was given to the West Indies and/or Pakistan for coming over and playing cricket here this summer.
    That one goes to a British team though, but like the sentiment.

I did wonder if they could call Mercedes a British team, given that they're all based in the UK?
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    With every passing hour things seem to be moving to Trump engineering the Supreme Court to back him to get the Electoral College loaded with his supporters. This will bring millions onto the streets, anarchy claims by the Right, fighting, bloodshed and The National Guard called out, with Curfews and a national emergency, overiding the constitution. A putch by any other name. This country does not seem to realise what is on the verge of happening. Trump junior will win a White House controlled election in 2024, with many poorer voters disenfranchised and dictatorship will be with us. The world will be a safer place!!!. Is Trump in fact the devil?. It makes one think.
    This is the most serious situation facing the Western world since Hitler in 33.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

If he's not paying what HMG considers his fair share they can take appropriate action.

This is what happens when you earn your primary income in 20 different countries, and your secondary in even more, you pay income in that country, so you don't get double taxed.

You do realise the UK has many many people in this country who pay taxes here and not in their home countries.
    I am aware of that.
    How much tax revenue is the UK being denied by his failure to be assessed on his earnings as an ordinary citizen?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

On topic, as I've said before, my SPotY tip is Hollie Doyle to be placed. Unfortunately, none of the books is offering each-way prices yet but this may well change as we get closer to the awards on 20/12.

Theres a top 3 market on betfair exchange. Money is thin tho. This is I think also be best place to lay rashford if the liquidity is there.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Strange, I thought that was purely a technical legal term denoting children born out of wedlock? It turns out it is highly pejorative after all, but you are still happy to use it about infants. Dearie me.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

I am aware of that.
    How much tax revenue is the UK being denied by his failure to be assessed on his earnings as an ordinary citizen?
    None, because if he was doing something wrong HMRC have the power to charge him the correct amount.
  • Options
    “Mr. Fisher, on Mount Wilson there is a telescope that can magnify the most distant stars up to twenty-four times the magnification of any previous telescope. This remarkable instrument was unsurpassed in the world of astronomy until the construction of the Mount Palomar telescope, an even more remarkable instrument of magnification. Owing to advances and improvements in optical technology, it is capable of magnifying the stars to four times the magnification and resolution of the Mount Wilson telescope - Mr. Fisher, if you could somehow put the Mount Wilson telescope inside the Mount Palomar telescope, you still wouldn't be able to detect my interest in your problem.”
    This Is Show Business (1949-56)
  • Options
    theakes said:

With every passing hour things seem to be moving to Trump engineering the Supreme Court to back him to get the Electoral College loaded with his supporters. This will bring millions onto the streets, anarchy claims by the Right, fighting, bloodshed and The National Guard called out, with Curfews and a national emergency, overiding the constitution. A putch by any other name. This country does not seem to realise what is on the verge of happening. Trump junior will win a White House controlled election in 2024, with many poorer voters disenfranchised and dictatorship will be with us. The world will be a safer place!!!. Is Trump in fact the devil?. It makes one think.

Yes but.
    Who's your tip for SPOTY?
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Someone wins the league every year. That the sixth richest club in world football have done it once in the last thirty years is more of an embarrassment than anything else ;)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Strange, I thought that was purely a technical legal term denoting children born out of wedlock? It turns out it is highly pejorative after all, but you are still happy to use it about infants. Dearie me.
    Justin is a curious fellow, he's the chap who wished Jeremy Corbyn suffered a massive heart attack, you do have wonder about Justin's moral compass, I don't think he has one.

But paying the correct amount of tax that HMRC deems as right makes you a bastard.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

He could be simultaneously making a comment on his tax affairs and his lineage.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    nova said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Someone wins the league every year. That the sixth richest club in world football have done it once in the last thirty years is more of an embarrassment than anything else ;)
    It was a fallow period, in those thirty years we won more Champions League titles than Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Tottenham, and Everton combined have in their entire histories.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    UK local R

• Options

Theres a top 3 market on betfair exchange. Money is thin tho. This is I think also be best place to lay rashford if the liquidity is there.
    Actually Rashford is not a bad price in the Top Three market, 2.28 to place when only 3.8 to win. Four others are shorter than Rashford there.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

It's a nonsense to imagine that people outside our shores can compete for the main prizes, but there is I think an 'Overseas' category that is no doubt the leading aspiration of Jonny Foreigner.

Ghastly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,040
    I think the attempt to explain why Hamilton's achievement is clearly better than Schumacher's is pretty weak. And counter intuitively, managing to win by crashing into a rival rather shows that particular win was quite an achievement, and F1 has several examples of it.

But either way it is a silly comparison to try to make. People still argue others were better despite winning far fewer seasons than Hamilton and Schumacher, so one definitively being better than the other isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths by day of death

• Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:
    Unfortunately, it’s just not as good as American beef. Now, British (and pretty much anywhere else’s) lamb knocks spots off American lamb, but there just doesn’t seem to be enough demand for lamb here for it to be worth importing.
    I recall a story from the American ambassador being sick of being served lamb all the time, though we are not anywhere near the top of eaters of lamb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-29030946
  • Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospital admissions data

• Options
    theakes said:

Trump has no case to take to the Supreme Court. Even if he did, they'd probably decline to hear it. This much is already apparent from Trump's 30-odd failures in the state courts.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    IshmaelZ said:

I always assumed that it was "personality" because "sportsperson" or "sportsman or woman" sound even clunkier, not because it is about warmth or depth of character vs raw sporting achievement.

If it was personality then Hamilton would be last
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    isam said:

You should put the prices available along with the betting recommendations I think @TheScreamingEagles

:smile: - You don't do that when you're tipping odds on favourites.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Been looking for an excuse to use that picture.

Worth the wait.

And I agree with your article; Hamilton deserves it.
    Yes, he does for his achievement. Rashford seems a much nicer bloke, but as the article says that's not got much to do with it.
  • Options

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:
    Unfortunately, it’s just not as good as American beef. Now, British (and pretty much anywhere else’s) lamb knocks spots off American lamb, but there just doesn’t seem to be enough demand for lamb here for it to be worth importing.
    feels a bit crazy sending beef across the atlantic in either direction.
    Crazy to think American is better, may b eat very high end but most is full of hormones. I have no wish to grow breasts, I will stick to local Aberdeen Angus for sure.
  • Options

nova said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

It was a fallow period, in those thirty years we won more Champions League titles than Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Tottenham, and Everton combined have in their entire histories.
    Pah. Cup team ;)

But in all seriousness, it would be a bit silly if Liverpool won the team of the year for a season that was the third most significant in the last three years. If Man City didn't get it for the first 100pt season or the first domestic clean sweep, then it makes no sporting sense for Liverpool to win it this year.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Justin is a curious fellow, he's the chap who wished Jeremy Corbyn suffered a massive heart attack, you do have wonder about Justin's moral compass, I don't think he has one.

But paying the correct amount of tax that HMRC deems as right makes you a bastard.

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

I never said any such thing re-Jeremy Corbyn. You are misquoting me - whether deliberately or otherwise.
  • Options
    nova said:

nova said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Pah. Cup team ;)

But in all seriousness, it would be a bit silly if Liverpool won the team of the year for a season that was the third most significant in the last three years. If Man City didn't get it for the first 100pt season or the first domestic clean sweep, then it makes no sporting sense for Liverpool to win it this year.
    It's about net spend, Pep Fraudiola has spent more on full backs that most European countries spend on their defence, whilst Klopp's net spend is about £80 million.

Pound for pound Klopp is the best manager in the world.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited November 2020
    My money is on Ronnie and I think he is over priced. Currently 12.5-19 on Betfair. He has never even made the SPOTY short list to date - which is an inexcusable omission by the BBC. He should get there this time off the back of his World Championship Title win. He is widely regarded as the greatest snooker player the sport has ever seen.

His world title win this year made him the most successful player in the history of snooker's Triple Crown series with 20 titles. He also holds the all time record for the most ranking titles, 37. He is the only player to have achieved 1000 career century breaks. He has also achieved the highest number of officially recognized maximum breaks in professional competition, with 15, and the fastest competitive maximum break, compiled in a time of 5 minutes and 8 seconds at the 1997 World Championship. (Wiki).

He is currently playing in the final of the Northern Ireland Open against Judd Trump. It's the best of 19 frames and he is trailing 3-5. The UK Championship, one of the three triple crown titles, starts tomorrow and runs until 6th December and is on BBC red button/BBC 2. Ronnie is second favourite on Betfair at 6.2-6.8. A good performance would raise his profile just in time for SPOTY. A win would of course be ideal for those of us with our SPOTY bets on Ronnie.

Ronnie is also very popular and if he makes the short list, for the first time ever, he could well benefit from a social media campaign that could propel him to SPOTYDOM.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    sounds like nonsense to me. I'm not sure william hill even have a Sturgeon exit date market to slash the price of.
    Chickens are coming home to roost as the attempted stitch up of Alex Salmond
    unravels and is knocking at her door. She could well have to fall on her sword very soon.
  • Options

nova said:

nova said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Pah. Cup team ;)

It's about net spend, Pep Fraudiola has spent more on full backs that most European countries spend on their defence, whilst Klopp's net spend is about £80 million.

That's distorted massively by the sale of Cuntiniho.

He's spent more on a defender and goalkeeper than any other manager on the planet.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

I never said any such thing re-Jeremy Corbyn. You are misquoting me - whether deliberately or otherwise.
    Did you not tell Clive Lewis that the best thing for Labour would be for Corbyn to suffer a massive heart attack?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    Is there a button to press to flag an entire thread Off Topic?

Most blokes who drive a car for a living also do a line in populist right wing diatribes. The lad Hamilton (TM) seems to be lacking in this so doesn't really cut it as a driver.

Turning to SPOTY, Tao Geoghegan Hart won the Giro. And unlike Lewis, he brought his own engine.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think the attempt to explain why Hamilton's achievement is clearly better than Schumacher's is pretty weak. And counter intuitively, managing to win by crashing into a rival rather shows that particular win was quite an achievement, and F1 has several examples of it.

But either way it is a silly comparison to try to make. People still argue others were better despite winning far fewer seasons than Hamilton and Schumacher, so one definitively being better than the other isn't going to happen.

Two linked massive advantages for Hamilton in comparison to drivers in earlier eras, much greater reliability of the cars, and more races per season. The latter in particular is a key driver of the best driver/car combo winning the title more regularly.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

You should put the prices available along with the betting recommendations I think @TheScreamingEagles

Is he odds on? I just say it because if you read the article Sunday evening and it was published in the afternoon you’d have no way of knowing whether to back/lay at the current prices. Everyone else on here could have laid Rashford/backed Hamilton to the point that Rashford was a back and Hamilton a lay

Difficult if the article was written Friday or Saturday I guess, but I think betting tips have to have some indication of what levels to get involved at
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

It's a nonsense to imagine that people outside our shores can compete for the main prizes, but there is I think an 'Overseas' category that is no doubt the leading aspiration of Jonny Foreigner.

Ghastly.
    I think the team of the year doesnt have to be from the UK. The European Ryder cup team has won 5 times (including joint wins).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited November 2020

nova said:

nova said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Pah. Cup team ;)

That's distorted massively by the sale of Cuntiniho.

He's spent more on a defender and goalkeeper than any other manager on the planet.
    Even if we ignore the Coutinho sale, our net spend is still massively less than City's, United, even Aston Villa.
  • Options

justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Did you not tell Clive Lewis that the best thing for Labour would be for Corbyn to suffer a massive heart attack?
    That is not the same thing as actually wishing it on him! Polling evidence at the time did suggest that Labour would have benefiited from Corbyn being out of action - but I did not say 'I want him to suffer a heart attack'.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Two linked massive advantages for Hamilton in comparison to drivers in earlier eras, much greater reliability of the cars, and more races per season. The latter in particular is a key driver of the best driver/car combo winning the title more regularly.
    Lack of refuelling means less to go wrong too.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Quincel said:

What an opening paragraph, and thread overall, bravo TSE!

great writers steal outright.

Great writers don't go around telling others how great they are.

They have no need.
    Disagree a little? Hemingway was a tiresome bore. But he produced some great writing.
    Hemingway's great writing put me off English Literature O-level. A Farewell to Arms: it rains; something bad happens; rinse and repeat for 300 pages.
    Yes. Can be a trudge. Short sentences. Simple sentiment. Not a word wasted. A man's a man. We get it.
  • Options

nova said:

nova said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Pah. Cup team ;)

Liverpool were sixth in the last Deloitte rich list - almost identical revenue to Man City. Klopp may have many qualities, but he's not existing on anything like a small budget. You can argue all day about City, United, Liverpool or Chelsea's spending, but ultimately they're all running on budgets that are huge compared to every team outside the top six.

Leicester's title win was an achievement, Liverpool's was just another name on the trophy.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

That is not the same thing as actually wishing it on him! Polling evidence at the time did suggest that Labour would have benefiited from Corbyn being out of action - but I did not say 'I want him to suffer a heart attack'.
    Only a bastard would say such a thing out loud. Endex.
  • Options
    Wait.
    The Republican Governor and the CIA are conspiring with Venezuela?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Current Prices

• Options
    stjohn said:

My money is on Ronnie and I think he is over priced. Currently 12.5-19 on Betfair. He has never even made the SPOTY short list to date - which is an inexcusable omission by the BBC. He should get there this time off the back of his World Championship Title win. He is widely regarded as the greatest snooker player the sport has ever seen.

His world title win this year made him the most successful player in the history of snooker's Triple Crown series with 20 titles. He also holds the all time record for the most ranking titles, 37. He is the only player to have achieved 1000 career century breaks. He has also achieved the highest number of officially recognized maximum breaks in professional competition, with 15, and the fastest competitive maximum break, compiled in a time of 5 minutes and 8 seconds at the 1997 World Championship. (Wiki).

He is currently playing in the final of the Northern Ireland Open against Judd Trump. It's the best of 19 frames and he is trailing 3-5. The UK Championship, one of the three triple crown titles, starts tomorrow and runs until 6th December and is on BBC red button/BBC 2. Ronnie is second favourite on Betfair at 6.2-6.8. A good performance would raise his profile just in time for SPOTY. A win would of course be ideal for those of us with our SPOTY bets on Ronnie.

Ronnie is also very popular and if he makes the short list, for the first time ever, he could well benefit from a social media campaign that could propel him to SPOTYDOM.

Yes. I agree. But question for you. Why has he never been on the list before? It seems inexplicable. So I suspect something. A "black ball" for something (no pun intended) or he himself has said "no interest".
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Is he odds on? I just say it because if you read the article Sunday evening and it was published in the afternoon you’d have no way of knowing whether to back/lay at the current prices. Everyone else on here could have laid Rashford/backed Hamilton to the point that Rashford was a back and Hamilton a lay

Difficult if the article was written Friday or Saturday I guess, but I think betting tips have to have some indication of what levels to get involved at
    Yes, just kidding. I understand your point.

LH 1.75, MR 3.85 atm.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Rory Mcilroy is like Hillary Clinton in this market

Rory McIlroy
    -£116.81
    Tyson Fury
    £3.88
    The field
    £15.19
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,989
    "Back on track: UK vinyl sales heading for best year in three decades
    Fans unable to go to gigs in Covid pandemic spend money instead on record collections"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/21/uk-vinyl-sales-gigs-covid-record
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

Only a bastard would say such a thing out loud. Endex.
    No - my comment was simply what I judged to be a statement of fact based on the polling evidence at the time.
  • Options
    Dirty Arsenal.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    nova said:

nova said:

nova said:

dixiedean said:

It's been a thin year.

Pah. Cup team ;)

Liverpool were sixth in the last Deloitte rich list - almost identical revenue to Man City. Klopp may have many qualities, but he's not existing on anything like a small budget. You can argue all day about City, United, Liverpool or Chelsea's spending, but ultimately they're all running on budgets that are huge compared to every team outside the top six.

Leicester's title win was an achievement, Liverpool's was just another name on the trophy.
    A win tonight would be sweet. A poke in the eye for both Spurs and 'Pool.

Both teams have injuries in key areas, though I think Castagne is back for Leicester, and our new CB Fofana is a great signing, he plays with great maturity for his age. Justin is the weakspot as the left wingback. Should be a good match, but with Liverpool undefeated at home for 60 matches or so, the 1.84 on Liverpool seems a steal. A bet that I would be very happy to lose though 🙂
  • Options
    justin124 said:

No - my comment was simply what I judged to be a statement of fact based on the polling evidence at the time.

Well your fact turned out to be rubbish because thanks to Corbyn Labour did really well at the election. Ergo, only a bastard would say such a thing.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,582

Dirty Arsenal.

Clean Leeds.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Well your fact turned out to be rubbish because thanks to Corbyn Labour did really well at the election. Ergo, only a bastard would say such a thing.

justin124 said:

But this was early in the campaign when the Tories still enjoyed a massive lead in the polls. May's missteps were yet to come. As things turned out , of course, my judgement was wrong.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Both teams have injuries in key areas, though I think Castagne is back for Leicester, and our new CB Fofana is a great signing, he plays with great maturity for his age. Justin is the weakspot as the left wingback. Should be a good match, but with Liverpool undefeated at home for 60 matches or so, the 1.84 on Liverpool seems a steal. A bet that I would be very happy to lose though 🙂

I'm resigned to Leicester winning tonight.

Interesting fact 1) currently Liverpool are 63 matches unbeaten at Anfield in the league, equalling their previous record, the side that ended Liverpool's record in 1981 was Leicester.

Interesting fact 2) That season Leicester ended up getting relegated.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/20/leicester-liverpool-63-game-unbeaten-run-at-anfield
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Dirty Arsenal.

Football isn't what it used to be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALdVum0xEk
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Wait.
    To understand this stuff, watch Brazilian soap operas.

1) There a 4 million episodes.
    2) The bad guys keep on just getting away with it - enough to keep the story going
    3) The good guys win enough to keep them just in the game
    4) Who is good vs bad rotates
    5) Eventually everyone has been a saint *and* a devil.
    6) Betrayal is how the plot re-cycles.

Then it all makes sense.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Dirty Arsenal.

Football isn't what it used to be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALdVum0xEk
    I remember a few years ago they got David Elleray to re-referee some matches from the 1970s using current laws.

I think one match he produced 11 red cards and 40 yellow cards.

He reckoned that most matches would have been abandoned because some sides would have fewer than six players left on the pitch.
  • Options
    I'm not sure, Lewis Hamilton is a great sportsman (possibly the finest racing driver of all time) but he polarises opinion the way Marcus Rashford doesn't.

Current odds aren't tempting me either way - there's a longshot case for Joe Wicks at 50/1, but I doubt this year given BLM - so I very strongly suspect it will be one of those two.
  • Options

Dirty Arsenal.

Clean Leeds.
    Just wrong.
  • Options

Dirty Arsenal.

Clean Leeds.
    Not a fan of either team, but surely I am not the only one who thinks Alioski's actions were worse in that incident?
  • Options
    Off topic, my sense is the economy is turning a corner.

Virutally everyone I speak to is *much* busier than they were in October (myself included) so I'm starting to buy FTSE250 funds again, which look cheap.

This is partly on the presumption of a Brexit deal, which I think will be finalised during the 1st week of December, with final chess pieces gradually moving into place over the next 2 weeks.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,136
    dixiedean said:

Wait.
    It seems implausible until you learn that they've all eaten pineapple pizza.
  • Options

This is partly on the presumption of a Brexit deal, which I think will be finalised during the 1st week of December, with final chess pieces gradually moving into place over the next 2 weeks.

The lack of any big Brexit stories in the Sunday papers does suggest a deal of some kind is in the offing.
  • Options

Virutally everyone I speak to is *much* busier than they were in October (myself included) so I'm starting to buy FTSE250 funds again, which look cheap.

Whilst I share you optimism I do worry that it might not pass, IDS and plenty of ERGers are making plenty of noise about rejecting any compromise.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Wait.
    It seems implausible until you learn that they've all eaten pineapple pizza.
    The actual conspiracy was MUCH bigger and involved about 80 million people.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Whilst I share you optimism I do worry that it might not pass, IDS and plenty of ERGers are making plenty of noise about rejecting any compromise.
    Labour would vote against it? They'll either abstain or vote for it.
  • Options

The lack of any big Brexit stories in the Sunday papers does suggest a deal of some kind is in the offing.
    Do you think this means it is inevitable we will join the euro, and lead the creation of a new federal tax system, police force and European navy as part of our first joint presidency of the council and commission?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,582

Dirty Arsenal.

Clean Leeds.
    Not a fan of either team, but surely I am not the only one who thinks Alioski's actions were worse in that incident?
    Sounds rather like a Priti Patel reaction to Pepe's misedemeanour - those civil servants over-reacted when I head-butted them, and it wasn't intentional anyway.
  • Options
    I see ozil and piers moron are having a spat on the twitter....its alien vs prederator on who I want to win.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Labour would vote against it? They'll either abstain or vote for it.
    Who knows, sustained No Deal would be disastrous for the government.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:
    feels a bit crazy sending beef across the atlantic in either direction.
    Crazy to think American is better, may b eat very high end but most is full of hormones. I have no wish to grow breasts, I will stick to local Aberdeen Angus for sure.
    The high-end USDA beef is very nice indeed, some of the finest in the world. The rest of the US meat farming output, on the other hand, is mostly hormone-filled, factory-farmed junk food.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2020
    Its sunday, so time to take time out of ones day to worship the messiah...not that JC obvs, Jezza..

All the disciplines of the cult getting #JeremyCorbyn40facts going.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited November 2020
    Not just the UK that has WWII fuckwits, WD the security guard.
    Great tantrum at the end.

https://twitter.com/MikeStuchbery_/status/1330550320657817611?s=20
  • Options

Do you think this means it is inevitable we will join the euro, and lead the creation of a new federal tax system, police force and European navy as part of our first joint presidency of the council and commission?
    Of course, but there's a long way to go yet. ;)
  • Options

I see ozil and piers moron are having a spat on the twitter....its alien vs prederator on who I want to win.

Nah, generally you should back anyone who isn't Piers Morgan in the spat.

Plus this is genuinely funny.

https://twitter.com/MesutOzil1088/status/1330561849201397765
  • Options

Dirty Arsenal.

Clean Leeds.
    Sounds rather like a Priti Patel reaction to Pepe's misedemeanour - those civil servants over-reacted when I head-butted them, and it wasn't intentional anyway.
    I am suddenly a fan of Patel and off to back some more 30s+ next PM!
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

Yes. I agree. But question for you. Why has he never been on the list before? It seems inexplicable. So I suspect something. A "black ball" for something (no pun intended) or he himself has said "no interest".
    I think a few reasons. The profile of snooker isn't what it used to be. And yes, Ronnie is a bit marmite and will have upset a few people over the years. But as to interest. He really wants it. I'm pretty sure he tried to start a social media campaign for himself last year to be nominated for SPOTY. And this year he has been interviewed by The Daily Star saying why Hamilton doesn't deserve to win! He says Lewis wins F1 titles because he drives the fastest car - which would be equivalent to Ronnie having bigger snooker table pockets to aim at than his opponents.

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    The cyclist will will, best organized lobby in sport.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823

Foxy said:

I'm resigned to Leicester winning tonight.

Interesting fact 1) currently Liverpool are 63 matches unbeaten at Anfield in the league, equalling their previous record, the side that ended Liverpool's record in 1981 was Leicester.

Interesting fact 2) That season Leicester ended up getting relegated.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/20/leicester-liverpool-63-game-unbeaten-run-at-anfield
    Maddison is a bit sore about being left out of the England squad, and Evans and Tielemans played 2 internationals, but seem on fire. Praet was only slightly involved for Belgium but should get a start.

I think Schmeichel can play, but was in Denmark. Ward played well for Wales so not a problem if he gets a start.

This discussion has been closed.