Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I’m laying Marcus Rashford for Sports Personality Of The Year – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,004

alex_ said:

4 households can meet up for Christmas...

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1330621954278248457?s=19

Just no...no...no....

I love the way they say that you have to "decide in advance who is in your bubble". Bit like the rules for "single person bubbles" said that once you had formed a bubble you couldn't change it. When in reality, anyone who wanted to simply had one bubble on Monday, another on Tuesday, another on Wednesday...

As if somehow this is enforceable, with everyone recording their details on a central register or something. It's just further evidence that people in Government don't live in the real world.
    Right. If you set this at 4, people will do 5, or a different 4 or 5. If you really insist on relaxation for Christmas, it should be rule of 6 for Christmas day. People will still do 8 and boxing day, but this signalling of a week of 4 households, people will just go house to house over the course of the week.

We are probably 12 weeks away from having all the vulnerable protected, we can just postpone Christmas.
    Yeah. So close to the vaccine. This could be the worst unforced error of the lot.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,091

alex_ said:

Just no...no...no....

I love the way they say that you have to "decide in advance who is in your bubble". Bit like the rules for "single person bubbles" said that once you had formed a bubble you couldn't change it. When in reality, anyone who wanted to simply had one bubble on Monday, another on Tuesday, another on Wednesday...

As if somehow this is enforceable, with everyone recording their details on a central register or something. It's just further evidence that people in Government don't live in the real world.
    Right. If you set this at 4, people will do 5, or a different 4 or 5. If you really insist on relaxation for Christmas, it should be rule of 6 for Christmas day. People will still do 8 and boxing day, but this signalling of a week of 4 households, people will just go house to house over the course of the week.

We are probably 12 weeks away from having all the vulnerable protected, we can just postpone Christmas.
    People are going to do that anyway, regardless of what the Government says.
    Silly people will. Sensible people will wait for a vaccine.
    Wait until 6 months into 2021? 8 months into 2021? How long will sensible people wait?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:

There is already apparently some chat on Parler that there will be no point in voting as the machines are fixed.
    Whether that’s shenanigans, or simple stupidity, I have no idea.
    And this is the consequence of the Republicans undermining confidence in the electoral process among their own supporters. And all the idiotic GOP in congress can't see this.

I was quite amused by the idea of people voting Trump as a write-in candidate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

Just no...no...no....

I think the majority of people stick roughly to them, and yes people would do christmas day, but the government are signalling go bloody mad for a week...it the same as the summer, not come out of Lockdown, stay local, avoid crowded areas etc, no it was go bloody mad, go on holiday, get down the pub...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

IanB2 said:

Rawnsley:

It is not unusual for a jaded and jiggered prime minister to try to relaunch himself. It is unusual for this to happen quite so early in a premiership.

If his premiership is to recover, it will not be by making hyperbolic promises about the future, but by finding a hitherto absent talent for governing well in the present. Even as a public-relations exercise, the relaunch failed. It was sabotaged and the person who blew the biggest hole in it was the prime minister himself.

This is Johnson's second or third reset/relaunch I reckon.
    So really just jumping up and down on the spot ?
  • Options

alex_ said:

Just no...no...no....

I agree. The vaccine being so close means unlocking for xmas is just an astoundingly bad policy. Yes loads of people would have visited relations anyway, but not as many as will do so now.

• Options
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

Just no...no...no....

Many people would have bent the rules a bit to accommodate larger families. The obvious solution would be some sort of rule of 6 excluding children. Giving a green light to basically do whatever you want with no enforcement is just bonkers.
  • Options

Tuesday week then. Just eight days to sort out supply and logistics. It will be jabs in arms?
    Somebody, somewhere in the UK will get a vaccination before xmas. I'm sure they'll manage one at least.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,091
    I feel people's expectations on how "close" the vaccine is need to be managed, especially going off the timetable that @TheScreamingEagles speculated on a week or so ago.

We are not realistically "a few weeks from having the vulnerable vaccinated", are we?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

There is already apparently some chat on Parler that there will be no point in voting as the machines are fixed.
    Whether that’s shenanigans, or simple stupidity, I have no idea.
    And this is the consequence of the Republicans undermining confidence in the electoral process among their own supporters. And all the idiotic GOP in congress can't see this.

I was quite amused by the idea of people voting Trump as a write-in candidate.
    It that the equivalent of drawing a penis on the ballot paper ?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296

Remember. Long Covid is for life, not just for Christmas.

How would we know? No ones had it long Covid for more than a year so far. Still agree it’s best not to get it...
  • Options
    This thread has been superseded like the government lockdown rules....
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Is the Trump regime trying to provoke a financial crisis? Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has ordered the Fed (against the latter's expressed wish) to return emergency funds.

But there’s another possibility. An outgoing administration has little incentive to make life easy for Democratic President-elect Joe Biden, who takes over on Jan. 20. Removing the funding facilities might create problems for him, because their very existence has given banks and financial investors confidence to lend. Republicans’ apparent rediscovery of fiscal discipline, after running up a $3 trillion deficit this year, isn’t fully convincing.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-breakingviews/breakingviews-mnuchin-and-powell-create-dangerous-guessing-game-idUKKBN2802BZ

I seem to recall that one of the Founding Fathers warned that parties would be the death of their fledgling democracy.

Total war is the GOP's strategy now even if the country is destroyed in the process.
    Well, the Founding Fathers didn’t create a democracy, a republic, yes, but suffrage for all white males (the definition of “democracy” at the time) did not come until the 1820s or so. And their idea of “parties” was the 18th century British Parliamentary factions rather than the mass political movements that began to evolve on both sides of the Atlantic in the 19th century.

And there is precedent for Trump pursuing a scorched-Earth policy between now and January 20th: it might not quite be the case that Benjamin Harrison’s outgoing administration caused the Panic of 1893, but arguably they did their level best to ensure it hit just as Grover Cleveland’s second (non-consecutive) administration began and that he and the Democrats would get the blame. It worked: the 1894 midterms saw the biggest swing against the President’s party in American history and the Democrats did regain control of any of the House, Senate or Presidency until 1910.
    Interesting. Thanks.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,794

alex_ said:

Just no...no...no....

I agree. The vaccine being so close means unlocking for xmas is just an astoundingly bad policy. Yes loads of people would have visited relations anyway, but not as many as will do so now.

Totally agree. Any sensible government would say: the vaccine is going to be rolled out, it will take time, be patient, don't take any risks in the meantime.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,004
    edited November 2020

dixiedean said:

This Christmas thing is entirely academic as people were just going to do what they wanted anyway.

Some people were. Others take quite serious notice of the rules. You tend not to see them out and about. Nor hear from them much. But they do exist.
    I know. I'm married to one.
    Well yeah, I've been following the rules too. I wasn't, however, going to sit at home on my own on Christmas Day.
    Wasn't casting aspersions your way. Merely trying to suggest that this is the government signalling carte Blanche.
    I am aware of plenty of people suffering dreadful, crippling anxiety because they do not want virus denying relatives around at Christmas. Some of them have been shielding for 9 months.
    The government is effectively branding them miserable spoilsport killjoys.
    3/4 of a year chucked away just before a vaccine.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Just no...no...no....

Right. If you set this at 4, people will do 5, or a different 4 or 5. If you really insist on relaxation for Christmas, it should be rule of 6 for Christmas day. People will still do 8 and boxing day, but this signallong of a week of 4 households, people will just go house to house over the course of the week.
    I've been a bit of sceptic on lockdown (yeh, I keep going on about Sweden and a low key, sustainable lockdown), but if you as a government are going to pursue a strict lockdown policy then ripping it up for four days and allowing FOUR households is just bloody bonkers imho.
    Astonishingly the suggestion seems to be that the other home nations are going to go along with it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Scott_xP said:
    Surely a pub would be praying tonight that their region is T3 then? Shut and wages paid?
    What about places which were in the lowest tier before the latest lockdown?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296

I feel people's expectations on how "close" the vaccine is need to be managed, especially going off the timetable that @TheScreamingEagles speculated on a week or so ago.

We are not realistically "a few weeks from having the vulnerable vaccinated", are we?

Quite possibly, if the Oxford/AZ comes through soon (I’m expecting news v soon, from the tea-leaves).
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    Hospital admissions scaled to 100K population

• Options

alex_ said:

Just no...no...no....

And so do I. It is truly madness.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

alex_ said:

Just no...no...no....

Wait until 6 months into 2021? 8 months into 2021? How long will sensible people wait?
    We should be home and hosed by Easter.

Chocolate bunnies instead of chocolate reindeer. And no stay in ICU.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,794

alex_ said:

Just no...no...no....

We should be home and hosed by Easter.

Chocolate bunnies instead of chocolate reindeer. And no stay in ICU.
    Works for me!
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Hospital admissions scaled to 100K population

What's happened in the last few days to cause all the numbers to crash like that? (Rushes into garden nuclear fallout shelter before Malmesbury's head explodes)
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

alex_ said:

Just no...no...no....

For the US, I am figuring that they will manage around 25m doses per month (per vaccine) If one is approved, to get to 50% coverage at 2 jabs, that's 12 months; if two are approved, 6 months.

My best guess is that things will start to significantly relax in the May/June timeframe. I am provisionally planning on travelling for work again late 2021.
This discussion has been closed.