Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I’m laying Marcus Rashford for Sports Personality Of The Year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2020

Not just the UK that has WWII fuckwits. WD the security guard.

twitter.com/MikeStuchbery_/status/1330550320657817611?s=20

The bit of coverage we get here, there does seem to be a surprising level of antilockdown protests in Germany. Given sterotype and how well Germany have weathered the storm compared to other European countries, you would think everybody would be onboard with the strategy that had worked fairly well.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429

dixiedean said:

Wait.
    The Republican Governor and the CIA are conspiring with Venezuela?
    It seems implausible until you learn that they've all eaten pineapple pizza.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Sd1iEQMcM
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Rory Mcilroy is like Hillary Clinton in this market

Rory McIlroy
    -£116.81
    Tyson Fury
    £3.88
    The field
    £15.19

It was basically a bet on McIlroy winning the US Masters last week. He didn't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    One pollster many years ago pointed out to me one of the things the public get massively wrong when you ask them is how large do you think the overseas aid budget is.

Nearly as bad as how many Muslims they think are in the UK.
  • Options

This is partly on the presumption of a Brexit deal, which I think will be finalised during the 1st week of December, with final chess pieces gradually moving into place over the next 2 weeks.

The lack of any big Brexit stories in the Sunday papers does suggest a deal of some kind is in the offing.
    Do you think this means it is inevitable we will join the euro, and lead the creation of a new federal tax system, police force and European navy as part of our first joint presidency of the council and commission?
    Of course, but there's a long way to go yet. ;)
    😉
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

kle4 said:

I think the attempt to explain why Hamilton's achievement is clearly better than Schumacher's is pretty weak. And counter intuitively, managing to win by crashing into a rival rather shows that particular win was quite an achievement, and F1 has several examples of it.

But either way it is a silly comparison to try to make. People still argue others were better despite winning far fewer seasons than Hamilton and Schumacher, so one definitively being better than the other isn't going to happen.

Two linked massive advantages for Hamilton in comparison to drivers in earlier eras, much greater reliability of the cars, and more races per season. The latter in particular is a key driver of the best driver/car combo winning the title more regularly.
    Sadly (for the spectator), reliabilty has been enforced by regulation, so an engine now has to do around 5,000km between rebuilds - whereas previously half of them wouldn't last a single 300km race. This does make it easier for the fastest car to win more races, although there have been times in the last few seasons where Lewis didn't have the fastest car but won on reliability.

Lewis has scored points every one of the last 47 races, and in 82 of the last 83. That's one failure in more than four years since Malaysia 2016, the single failure being in Austria 2018.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    57 years ago tonight JFK was assassinated. It was a Friday evening and news of the shooting began to filter through at 7pm.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

HYUFD said:
    One pollster many years ago pointed out to me one of the things the public get massively wrong when you ask them is how large do you think the overseas aid budget is.

Nearly as bad as how many Muslims they think are in the UK.
    But when you present the data to some people they will say 'Too much' and 'Too many' whatever the numbers.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited November 2020
    May i congratulate TSE for the Jeremy Clarkson like intro to this piece! I do disagree though that certain people lack personalities , they just have different personalities . A personality does not have to mean being shouty or overly outgoing or indeed a little bit of a bad boy or girl. FWIW I think SPOTY is clumsily named like Strictly Come Dancing and most people who vote do so for sporting reasons . I cannot see past Hamilton although as a big Ronnie O Sullivan fan would like to see him win . I don't think Rashford should win
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

The bit of coverage we get here, there does seem to be a surprising level of antilockdown protests in Germany. Given sterotype and how well Germany have weathered the storm compared to other European countries, you would think everybody would be onboard with the strategy that had worked fairly well.
    I'm sorry - do you connect rational thinking with antilock downers of the kind present at these protests?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    justin124 said:

57 years ago tonight JFK was assassinated. It was a Friday evening and news of the shooting began to filter through at 7pm.

I remember it well (or at least I think I do!). They interrupted Take Your Pick with Michael Miles.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    justin124 said:

Maggie also resigned on the 22nd Nov I believe - 30th anniversery
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    stjohn said:

kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

My money is on Ronnie and I think he is over priced. Currently 12.5-19 on Betfair. He has never even made the SPOTY short list to date - which is an inexcusable omission by the BBC. He should get there this time off the back of his World Championship Title win. He is widely regarded as the greatest snooker player the sport has ever seen.

His world title win this year made him the most successful player in the history of snooker's Triple Crown series with 20 titles. He also holds the all time record for the most ranking titles, 37. He is the only player to have achieved 1000 career century breaks. He has also achieved the highest number of officially recognized maximum breaks in professional competition, with 15, and the fastest competitive maximum break, compiled in a time of 5 minutes and 8 seconds at the 1997 World Championship. (Wiki).

He is currently playing in the final of the Northern Ireland Open against Judd Trump. It's the best of 19 frames and he is trailing 3-5. The UK Championship, one of the three triple crown titles, starts tomorrow and runs until 6th December and is on BBC red button/BBC 2. Ronnie is second favourite on Betfair at 6.2-6.8. A good performance would raise his profile just in time for SPOTY. A win would of course be ideal for those of us with our SPOTY bets on Ronnie.

Ronnie is also very popular and if he makes the short list, for the first time ever, he could well benefit from a social media campaign that could propel him to SPOTYDOM.

Yes. I agree. But question for you. Why has he never been on the list before? It seems inexplicable. So I suspect something. A "black ball" for something (no pun intended) or he himself has said "no interest".
    I think a few reasons. The profile of snooker isn't what it used to be. And yes, Ronnie is a bit marmite and will have upset a few people over the years. But as to interest. He really wants it. I'm pretty sure he tried to start a social media campaign for himself last year to be nominated for SPOTY. And this year he has been interviewed by The Daily Star saying why Hamilton doesn't deserve to win! He says Lewis wins F1 titles because he drives the fastest car - which would be equivalent to Ronnie having bigger snooker table pockets to aim at than his opponents.
    It's quite amazing that Ronnie's never even been nominated, given how many times he's won major national and world titles on BBC channels.

Given that he's one of only three Brits to have won a world title this year, he'll rightly feel a little hard done by if he doesn't get a nod.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    edited November 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Rory McIlroy
    -£116.81
    Tyson Fury
    £3.88
    The field
    £15.19

Rory should have won in 2014. Hamilton won that year when he shouldn't have. So maybe this year he doesn't win when he should do. Sometimes happens that way.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,715
    theakes said:

With every passing hour things seem to be moving to Trump engineering the Supreme Court to back him to get the Electoral College loaded with his supporters. This will bring millions onto the streets, anarchy claims by the Right, fighting, bloodshed and The National Guard called out, with Curfews and a national emergency, overiding the constitution. A putch by any other name. This country does not seem to realise what is on the verge of happening. Trump junior will win a White House controlled election in 2024, with many poorer voters disenfranchised and dictatorship will be with us. The world will be a safer place!!!. Is Trump in fact the devil?. It makes one think.
    This is the most serious situation facing the Western world since Hitler in 33.

It's more likely that certain states simply announce their seccession than Trump stays on as President (California will be first out the door). The rump USA won't be worth dealing with after that.

And if Trump is going to rig it, he's certainly not going to let the two term limit stay. That's be gone faster than you can say, "Putin extended his term to six years, and reset the clock in 2019 anyway."
  • Options

justin124 said:

Not quite . Thatcher announced she was withdrawing from the second ballot on that day - but remained PM until 28th November.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:
    Unfortunately, it’s just not as good as American beef. Now, British (and pretty much anywhere else’s) lamb knocks spots off American lamb, but there just doesn’t seem to be enough demand for lamb here for it to be worth importing.
    feels a bit crazy sending beef across the atlantic in either direction.
    Crazy to think American is better, may b eat very high end but most is full of hormones. I have no wish to grow breasts, I will stick to local Aberdeen Angus for sure.
    The high-end USDA beef is very nice indeed, some of the finest in the world. The rest of the US meat farming output, on the other hand, is mostly hormone-filled, factory-farmed junk food.
    Indeed. I am talking about what you can get as as steaks, joints etc at a good restaurant, farmers' market or upscale supermarket, rather than whatever crap McDs puts in their burgers. Premium beef in the US is usally grass-fed and is a lot better than the equiv in the UK. The only beef I've had in the UK that compares has been specially imported steak from Argentina at the Gaucho Smithfield some years back.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    JohnO said:

justin124 said:

I remember it well (or at least I think I do!). They interrupted Take Your Pick with Michael Miles.
    I don't know anyone who doesn't remember how they heard that news.

• Options
    stjohn said:

kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

My money is on Ronnie and I think he is over priced. Currently 12.5-19 on Betfair. He has never even made the SPOTY short list to date - which is an inexcusable omission by the BBC. He should get there this time off the back of his World Championship Title win. He is widely regarded as the greatest snooker player the sport has ever seen.

His world title win this year made him the most successful player in the history of snooker's Triple Crown series with 20 titles. He also holds the all time record for the most ranking titles, 37. He is the only player to have achieved 1000 career century breaks. He has also achieved the highest number of officially recognized maximum breaks in professional competition, with 15, and the fastest competitive maximum break, compiled in a time of 5 minutes and 8 seconds at the 1997 World Championship. (Wiki).

He is currently playing in the final of the Northern Ireland Open against Judd Trump. It's the best of 19 frames and he is trailing 3-5. The UK Championship, one of the three triple crown titles, starts tomorrow and runs until 6th December and is on BBC red button/BBC 2. Ronnie is second favourite on Betfair at 6.2-6.8. A good performance would raise his profile just in time for SPOTY. A win would of course be ideal for those of us with our SPOTY bets on Ronnie.

Ronnie is also very popular and if he makes the short list, for the first time ever, he could well benefit from a social media campaign that could propel him to SPOTYDOM.

Yes. I agree. But question for you. Why has he never been on the list before? It seems inexplicable. So I suspect something. A "black ball" for something (no pun intended) or he himself has said "no interest".
    I think a few reasons. The profile of snooker isn't what it used to be. And yes, Ronnie is a bit marmite and will have upset a few people over the years. But as to interest. He really wants it. I'm pretty sure he tried to start a social media campaign for himself last year to be nominated for SPOTY. And this year he has been interviewed by The Daily Star saying why Hamilton doesn't deserve to win! He says Lewis wins F1 titles because he drives the fastest car - which would be equivalent to Ronnie having bigger snooker table pockets to aim at than his opponents.
    Ok. Well a decent outside bet then. I certainly wouldn't quibble.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

justin124 said:

Sounds like a good reason to open a beer!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:
    Unfortunately, it’s just not as good as American beef. Now, British (and pretty much anywhere else’s) lamb knocks spots off American lamb, but there just doesn’t seem to be enough demand for lamb here for it to be worth importing.
    I recall a story from the American ambassador being sick of being served lamb all the time, though we are not anywhere near the top of eaters of lamb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-29030946
    Yeah it just isn't a thing here. We have a local sheep farm that comes to our farmers' market once a month and seem to do most of their business in wool and sheep-milk soaps. They always seem a bit surprised and almost pathetically grateful when we buy actual lamb meat from them!
  • Options
    Looking at some of the past winners on wikipedia there seems to be some right injustices for instance Roger Bannister did NOT win it in 1954 , Seb Coe did not win in 1980 and was unlucky that he was up against Torvill and Dean in 1984. Darren Clarke not winning in 2006 despite winning the Open (Zara Phillips won!) and has as been said Ronnie O Sullivan has never won it (nor Phil Taylor)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited November 2020
    JohnO said:

justin124 said:

Excellent series on the Kennedys on More4 recently, narrated by Martin Sheen
  • Options

Looking at some of the past winners on wikipedia there seems to be some right injustices for instance Roger Bannister did NOT win it in 1954 , Seb Coe did not win in 1980 and was unlucky that he was up against Torvill and Dean in 1984. Darren Clarke not winning in 2006 despite winning the Open (Zara Phillips won!) and has as been said Ronnie O Sullivan has never won it (nor Phil Taylor)

Well snooker and darts are pub games, not sports.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Rory McIlroy
    -£116.81
    Tyson Fury
    £3.88
    The field
    £15.19

Rory should have won in 2014. Hamilton won that year when he shouldn't have. So maybe this year he doesn't win when he should do. Sometimes happens that way.
    Rory Mcilroy isn't going to win SPOTY. What's he won ?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    Andy_JS said:

"Back on track: UK vinyl sales heading for best year in three decades
    Fans unable to go to gigs in Covid pandemic spend money instead on record collections"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/21/uk-vinyl-sales-gigs-covid-record

Good to see. Better quality and a warmer sound than digitised music.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

The one thing the BBC will be nervous of though with Ronnie (snooker is actually one of the sports the BBC has rights to) is his speech . They are unpredictable at the best of times and can range from being OTT in terms of being generous and humble to being the exact opposite . Snooker audiences have got used to them but SPOTY is a far wider audience and more unforgiving if done "wrong"
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Pulpstar said:

Rory McIlroy
    -£116.81
    Tyson Fury
    £3.88
    The field
    £15.19

It was basically a bet on McIlroy winning the US Masters last week. He didn't.
    He's at 10-1 for the 2021 US Masters. The last major he won was 2015 ! Must have a dedicated betting fanbase
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    Foxy said:

nova said:

nova said:

nova said:

dixiedean said:

Just noticed Joe Wicks is 50-1.
    It's been a thin year.

Nonsense, Liverpool won the Premier League, best year ever.
    Someone wins the league every year. That the sixth richest club in world football have done it once in the last thirty years is more of an embarrassment than anything else ;)
    It was a fallow period, in those thirty years we won more Champions League titles than Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Tottenham, and Everton combined have in their entire histories.
    Pah. Cup team ;)

But in all seriousness, it would be a bit silly if Liverpool won the team of the year for a season that was the third most significant in the last three years. If Man City didn't get it for the first 100pt season or the first domestic clean sweep, then it makes no sporting sense for Liverpool to win it this year.
    It's about net spend, Pep Fraudiola has spent more on full backs that most European countries spend on their defence, whilst Klopp's net spend is about £80 million.

Pound for pound Klopp is the best manager in the world.
    Liverpool were sixth in the last Deloitte rich list - almost identical revenue to Man City. Klopp may have many qualities, but he's not existing on anything like a small budget. You can argue all day about City, United, Liverpool or Chelsea's spending, but ultimately they're all running on budgets that are huge compared to every team outside the top six.

Leicester's title win was an achievement, Liverpool's was just another name on the trophy.
    A win tonight would be sweet. A poke in the eye for both Spurs and 'Pool.

Both teams have injuries in key areas, though I think Castagne is back for Leicester, and our new CB Fofana is a great signing, he plays with great maturity for his age. Justin is the weakspot as the left wingback. Should be a good match, but with Liverpool undefeated at home for 60 matches or so, the 1.84 on Liverpool seems a steal. A bet that I would be very happy to lose though 🙂
    My son is rooting for the nil-nil draw, which will suit Tottenham nicely. Not that it matters who is top of the league in November!

Spurs arguably the best side in the league at the moment, but it’s a close run thing.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    HYUFD said:

JohnO said:

justin124 said:

Excellent series on the Kennedys on More4 recently, narrated by Martin Sheen
    A polished narrator.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

The one thing the BBC will be nervous of though with Ronnie (snooker is actually one of the sports the BBC has rights to) is his speech . They are unpredictable at the best of times and can range from being OTT in terms of being generous and humble to being the exact opposite . Snooker audiences have got used to them but SPOTY is a far wider audience and more unforgiving if done "wrong"
    I remember Daley Thompson's acceptance speech. Hed turned up in a tracksuit when everyone else was in a suit. I think his opening line was "I feel like shit" or something similar.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Rory McIlroy
    -£116.81
    Tyson Fury
    £3.88
    The field
    £15.19

Yes I am a big Rory fan after he saw the light about three years ago in terms of being more respectful and less juvenile but he has not had the best season .He might have done it if he had won the US Masters but had a poor first round.Also a lot of people think of him as Irish in the sense of being a foreigner . I think he even said he would want to represent Ireland at the Olympics rather than the UK which is his right and to be fair he is not political in any way but it would be another hurdle and maybe why he did not win in 2014.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

theakes said:

With every passing hour things seem to be moving to Trump engineering the Supreme Court to back him to get the Electoral College loaded with his supporters. This will bring millions onto the streets, anarchy claims by the Right, fighting, bloodshed and The National Guard called out, with Curfews and a national emergency, overiding the constitution. A putch by any other name. This country does not seem to realise what is on the verge of happening. Trump junior will win a White House controlled election in 2024, with many poorer voters disenfranchised and dictatorship will be with us. The world will be a safer place!!!. Is Trump in fact the devil?. It makes one think.

It's more likely that certain states simply announce their seccession than Trump stays on as President (California will be first out the door). The rump USA won't be worth dealing with after that.

And if Trump is going to rig it, he's certainly not going to let the two term limit stay. That's be gone faster than you can say, "Putin extended his term to six years, and reset the clock in 2019 anyway."
    It is not going to happen, for starters state legislators have refused to overturn the results in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania etc and even if they tried to Wisconsin and Michigan and Pennsylvania have Democratic governors who would refuse to affirm any electors being appointed to the EC who are not voting for Biden. The courts have also rejected all the Trump team's legal challenges.

Plus world leaders have already congratulated Biden as President elect, as has the only living GOP former President, George W Bush and the last GOP nominee Mitt Romney, so once Biden is elected by the EC next month Trump will either have to concede or be evicted from the White House in January
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Rory McIlroy
    -£116.81
    Tyson Fury
    £3.88
    The field
    £15.19

No I'm saying he should have won in 2014 but didn't. He won't even be on the list this year. No chance whatsoever.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

Cue outrage...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

theakes said:

Trump has no case to take to the Supreme Court. Even if he did, they'd probably decline to hear it. This much is already apparent from Trump's 30-odd failures in the state courts.
    It is worth noting here that the Chief Justice, John Roberts, has an awful lot of discretion over which cases get heard.
  • Options

That's fighting talk!
  • Options
    RobD said:
    I am not an anti-vaxxer. I do not believe, as many do, that it is the quick route to a one world government presided over by flickering-tongued reptilian overlords or, worse, communists. My rules for whether or not to have a vaccine have always been simple: is it for the good of the community, and do the risks associated with contracting the illness outweigh the risks of the vaccine itself? So with Covid I’m about 50% convinced. Here are the reasons for my doubts.

First, the government has drawn up a list of 11 priority categories for vaccination. Among the first five — those who will get the vaccine first — are the aged, from over-65s upwards. At first sight this seems sensible, because the virus has proved most lethal within those age groups. The problem is, these are the people least likely to catch Covid.

If you examine the excess death statistics for the UK, you will find that remarkably, the over-85s — the most vulnerable category of all — have shown a negative excess death rate for the past four months. In other words, fewer are dying than usual. This suggests to me that the very elderly have been taking precautions that have, by a useful corollary, protected them from other life-threatening infections.

Might this not be our best form of protection in future? To take personal responsibility for our safety, as the elderly are doing? The French, incidentally, have drawn up a different list of prioritised citizens — it includes those who deal with other members of the public: hospitality workers, cab drivers, health workers and so on. This seems to me far more sensible.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cue outrage...
    Yep. Talking bull.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

Yes I was thinking exactly that. It's a risk. Just possibly why they have never put him on the list. We will soon see. If he's missed out this time it will DEFINITELY be something fishy like that.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cue outrage...
    Yep. Talking bull.
    Well, it was really a double assault.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

JohnO said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

JohnO said:

justin124 said:

I was only 9 at the time yet remember it vividly.The family evening meal had just finished, and I was listening to the BBC Home Service programme 'Radio Newsreel' which began at 7pm. In the headlines there was a fairly casual mention of Kennedy having been shot.The main bulletin then followed without further mention of it, and at the end the announcer went on to cover an unrelated story in greater depth. I began to wonder whether I had misheard the headline - but eventually the anchorman went to Washington and it became clear that JFK was in a serious condition.
    My family then hurried to the front room where Cliff Mitchelmore's Tonight programme was on .Everybody in the studio looked very grave and kept switching to a stand-in Newscaster - never seen before or since - who kept repeating the latest news which included the fact that a priest had been sent for.As he was speaking ,his telephone rang. He picked it up, absorbed the message, then facing the camera he said 'We announce in the Voice of America that President Kennedy is dead'.Television then went off the air for over an hour with solemn background music playing.
  • Options

Bosanquet (who invented the googly) wrote to The Times distinguishing still-ball games from moving-ball games. Golf and snooker fall on the wrong side.
  • Options

Bosanquet (who invented the googly) wrote to The Times distinguishing still-ball games from moving-ball games. Golf and snooker fall on the wrong side.
    By that logic, football and rugby are not sports.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

theakes said:

It is not going to happen, for starters state legislators have refused to overturn the results in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania etc and even if they tried to Wisconsin and Michigan and Pennsylvania have Democratic governors who would refuse to affirm any electors being appointed to the EC who are not voting for Biden. The courts have also rejected all the Trump team's legal challenges.

Plus world leaders have already congratulated Biden as President elect, as has the only living GOP former President, George W Bush and the last GOP nominee Mitt Romney, so once Biden is elected by the EC next month Trump will either have to concede or be evicted from the White House in January
    That's right.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    From this thread, you'd think that SPOTY was serious business.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    It'll be Lewis Hamilton alright, but I can't imagine that Ben Bradley likes him very much either.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

geoffw said:

JohnO said:

justin124 said:

geoffw said:

JohnO said:

justin124 said:

I was only 9 at the time yet remember it vividly.The family evening meal had just finished, and I was listening to the BBC Home Service programme 'Radio Newsreel' which began at 7pm. In the headlines there was a fairly casual mention of Kennedy having been shot.The main bulletin then followed without further mention of it, and at the end the announcer went on to cover an unrelated story in greater depth. I began to wonder whether I had misheard the headline - but eventually the anchorman went to Washington and it became clear that JFK was in a serious condition.
    My family then hurried to the front room where Cliff Mitchelmore's Tonight programme was on .Everybody in the studio looked very grave and kept switching to a stand-in Newscaster - never seen before or since - who kept repeating the latest news which included the fact that a priest had been sent for.As he was speaking ,his telephone rang. He picked it up, absorbed the message, then facing the camera he said 'We announce in the Voice of America that President Kennedy is dead'.Television then went off the air for over an hour with solemn background music playing.
    The first tv news I think I can remember was the flixborough disaster. But we didnt have a tv until 72 or 73.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Not quite . Thatcher announced she was withdrawing from the second ballot on that day - but remained PM until 28th November.
    By coincidence, I have just watched the BBC's box set The Rise and Fall of Margaret Thatcher, comprising The Long Walk to Finchley, and Margaret.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

Not just the UK that has WWII fuckwits, WD the security guard.
    Great tantrum at the end.

https://twitter.com/MikeStuchbery_/status/1330550320657817611?s=20

Good man! An example to us all.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    theakes said:

Which part of federalist society, NRA card carrying, former bigwig GOP judges eviscerating Trump in court have you not been paying attention to recently. There's no way on God's green earth SCOTUS will throw Trump the election. Now stop wetting the bed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

theakes said:

That's right.
    I agree - though in 2000 the Bush v Gore court battle continued beyond the certification of the Florida result.
  • Options

It is, if you're betting on it!
  • Options
    Hadn’t clocked that Chris Christie has now peeled away from the Donald.
  • Options
    It's hard to disagree that Hamilton deserves it on sporting grounds. I don't really understand why people don't like him. There is a difference between avoiding tax and living abroad because you work abroad.
  • Options

Betfair might pay out on SPotY before the White House nonsense.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    IIRC the Beeb stated a few weeks back that Rashford wouldn't be shortlisted for SPOTY as he had no significant sporting achievement to justify a nomination.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

No, football and rugby are moving-ball games, thus falling on the right side of Bosanquet's divide.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:
    I am not an anti-vaxxer. I do not believe, as many do, that it is the quick route to a one world government presided over by flickering-tongued reptilian overlords or, worse, communists. My rules for whether or not to have a vaccine have always been simple: is it for the good of the community, and do the risks associated with contracting the illness outweigh the risks of the vaccine itself? So with Covid I’m about 50% convinced. Here are the reasons for my doubts.

First, the government has drawn up a list of 11 priority categories for vaccination. Among the first five — those who will get the vaccine first — are the aged, from over-65s upwards. At first sight this seems sensible, because the virus has proved most lethal within those age groups. The problem is, these are the people least likely to catch Covid.

If you examine the excess death statistics for the UK, you will find that remarkably, the over-85s — the most vulnerable category of all — have shown a negative excess death rate for the past four months. In other words, fewer are dying than usual. This suggests to me that the very elderly have been taking precautions that have, by a useful corollary, protected them from other life-threatening infections.

Might this not be our best form of protection in future? To take personal responsibility for our safety, as the elderly are doing? The French, incidentally, have drawn up a different list of prioritised citizens — it includes those who deal with other members of the public: hospitality workers, cab drivers, health workers and so on. This seems to me far more sensible.
    He can't be that dumb, can he?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

No, football and rugby are moving-ball games, thus falling on the right side of Bosanquet's divide.
    Not when you take penalties.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

kinabalu said:

stjohn said:

Yes I was thinking exactly that. It's a risk. Just possibly why they have never put him on the list. We will soon see. If he's missed out this time it will DEFINITELY be something fishy like that.
    I think that's a fair point. But the BBC allowed Tyson Fury to make the short list a few years ago when, at the time, he was expressing some very non-PC views.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

IIRC the Beeb stated a few weeks back that Rashford wouldn't be shortlisted for SPOTY as he had no significant sporting achievement to justify a nomination.

The BBC must have said it very quietly if he has not been laid off the boards on Betfair.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even then, if you are the goalkeeper.
  • Options

It's hard to disagree that Hamilton deserves it on sporting grounds. I don't really understand why people don't like him. There is a difference between avoiding tax and living abroad because you work abroad.

Yes, I’ve never really understood the ambivalence towards him. I’m not very interested in F1, but I do know that if he was Brazilian, he’d be a national hero garnering adulation wherever he went, given what he has achieved.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Football and rugby were invented as ball games, and they're still ball games now.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    edited November 2020
    The point about SPotY is that is a two-stage contest. The first, being nominated, is about performance on the pitch, track or table; in the pool or in the ring. But the second is the public vote, more akin to Reality TV betting. Sporting achievement gets you into the Big Brother House, or into the Welsh Jungle, but from then on it is about who picks up the phone on the night.

The question is not about whether Ronnie has achieved more than Lewis but whether either has done enough to be amongst the 10 or 12 nominated. That is where the role of sport ends and it is down to public appeal.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Negative excess death rate? Depends where you look.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55014687

• Options
    edited November 2020

Yes, I’ve never really understood the ambivalence towards him. I’m not very interested in F1, but I do know that if he was Brazilian, he’d be a national hero garnering adulation wherever he went, given what he has achieved.
    I think he should win for his immense sporting achievement but I personally don't warm to him. He seems a little to "up himself" and artificial to my eyes . I dont tend to like formula 1 people anyway not just drivers - Ecclestone , Mansell, Hunt ,even people who i have met personally who are involved or employed in F1 in admin roles always seem the same in terms of being rather "superior"
  • Options

The point about SPotY is that is a two-stage contest. The first, being nominated, is about performance on the pitch, track or table; in the pool or in the ring. But the second is the public vote, more akin to Reality TV betting. Sporting achievement gets you into the Big Brother House, or into the Welsh Jungle, but from then on it is about who picks up the phone on the night.

I really have no interest in this, but I am pretty sure that the nomination stage is something quite recent. Back in the 60s,70 and 80s it was left entirely to the viewers.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Football and rugby were invented as ball games, and they're still ball games now.
    The real question about rugby is why it was invented in the first place, as opposed to that frightful oik Webb Ellis being booked and a free kick awarded.
  • Options

I think he should win for his immense sporting achievement but I personally don't warm to him. He seems a little to "up himself" and artificial to my eyes .
    Doesn't matter, no British sportsperson has achieved anything close to what he's done this year. He's rightfully favorite.
    If there's any justice, Cheptegei will get the overseas award.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

theakes said:

That's right.
    I agree - though in 2000 the Bush v Gore court battle continued beyond the certification of the Florida result.
    Gore conceded on December 13th 2000 after the SC verdict, I cannot see Trump being able to avoid conceding any longer than that
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I really have no interest in this, but I am pretty sure that the nomination stage is something quite recent. Back in the 60s,70 and 80s it was left entirely to the viewers.
    I thought that too but wikipedia suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Wasn't it a coupon in the Radio Times, so effectively that was the shortlist?
  • Options

This is partly on the presumption of a Brexit deal, which I think will be finalised during the 1st week of December, with final chess pieces gradually moving into place over the next 2 weeks.

The lack of any big Brexit stories in the Sunday papers does suggest a deal of some kind is in the offing.
    Do you think this means it is inevitable we will join the euro, and lead the creation of a new federal tax system, police force and European navy as part of our first joint presidency of the council and commission?
    National currencies are so passe. Within a decade the British government will be forced to borrow in Bitcoin.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The real question about rugby is why it was invented in the first place, as opposed to that frightful oik Webb Ellis being booked and a free kick awarded.
    As I am from Nottingham and not bound by geography to being tied together to either League or Union I can honestly say it is the least likeable for me of any team game. League is just dull and boring and Union is just too public school and boorish imho
  • Options

justin124 said:

I thought that too but wikipedia suggests otherwise.
    I do not recall viewers being given a list from which to make a choice.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    Would be ironic if a campaign is begun not to vote for Hamilton because of BLM, or Rashford because of FSM.
    And the virtue signalling Right vote goes to Ronnie...
    He's the most left wing of the three.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    JACK_W said:

Jack W. They did make a statement to that effect but then qualified it with something like, "but if there is a groundswell of support for Rashford we might review our decision".
  • Options

If there are no covid cases, then the lockdown was unnecessary.
    If there are lots, then lockdowns don't work.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Negative excess death rate? Depends where you look.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55014687

I'm no anti-vaxxer but given the logistical difficulties (and my belief schools are superspreaders) I'd suggest the government should start by vaccinating those who are in one place: care homes, hospitals (as on HMG's list) but also schools, universities and workplaces. Then separately having a flu-jab like effort for the rest, where it is up to the patient to go to the needle.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

He really is that dumb.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

theakes said:

Agreed. 3 USC 15 is the federal law that spells out in detail how Congress counts the electoral votes cast on Jan 6th. There are two ways Trump could try to finagle the vote then, either he can get at least one senator and at least one representative to object to a given state or states' vote, or he can try to get the legislature in a given state or states to have appointed their own slate of electors and have them sent either instead of (if the executive of the state plays ball) or alongside that certified by the executive.

In the first case, if objections are made, each house must vote separately on whether to uphold the objections, and they can only be upheld if both houses do so.

In the second case, as @HYUFD points out, enough of the states where Trump might try to strong-arm the legislature into appointing their own electors have Democratic governors who would certify and send the Biden electors' vote. In this case the federal law is that again, both houses get to vote on which electoral result to accept, and both must agree, but if they don't the set sent by the state's executive prevails. And this of course is ignoring that there doesn't seem to be much appetite among Republican legislators in those states to even start the process, and also that as I've pointed out before, it would need to be a legislative process that can survive gubernatorial vetoes and, somehow, escape being pretty obviously struck down by the courts for being an ex post facto law.

Of course, it is possible that Trump will have enough die-harders in Congress to at least make the objections needed to force the two houses to vote on whether or not to accept the states he claims have been rigged against him. I suppose he might try to make that happen as a last face-saving measure, or so he can keep his "election defense fund" grift running until then at least, but it's clear that the result will not change.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

RobD said:

I have undertaken to avoid being dismissive and sarcastic.
    I did know that this would sometimes be harder than at other times. Best if I simply step away for a few minutes.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Would be ironic if a campaign is begun not to vote for Hamilton because of BLM, or Rashford because of FSM.
    And the virtue signalling Right vote goes to Ronnie...
    He's the most left wing of the three.

Ah but he is proper left wing cockney style not liberal left . TBH I dont think Ronnie is political in the sense of what PB people are he just votes labour like 40% of so of the population do from time to time
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:

I have undertaken to avoid being dismissive and sarcastic.
    I did know that this would sometimes be harder than at other times. Best if I simply step away for a few minutes.

Deep breaths....
  • Options

Completely off topic, but maybe worthy of a post, I think the most important politician to watch globally is Mitt Romney. I agree with him on almost nothing, but he has emerged from this electoral soap opera with a great deal of credit and honour. I wonder if he could challenge in 2024 or 2028? He could yet be the man to save the GOP. I wish him well.

The 2024 GOP nomination will be the greatest clown show on earth. Which of the Trumps will run ? Ivanka surely has more appeal than the sons nationally. It'll probably be Don Jr knowing the GOP base. The base is batshit mental.
  • Options

Completely off topic, but maybe worthy of a post, I think the most important politician to watch globally is Mitt Romney. I agree with him on almost nothing, but he has emerged from this electoral soap opera with a great deal of credit and honour. I wonder if he could challenge in 2024 or 2028? He could yet be the man to save the GOP. I wish him well.

Romney is 73 years old so in four or eight years time...
  • Options

He'll be right in the sweet spot for the nomination?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

theakes said:

That's right.
    Gore conceded on December 13th 2000 after the SC verdict, I cannot see Trump being able to avoid conceding any longer than that
    Correct - though that was a couple of weeks beyond certification of the Florida result by the Republican Secretary of State. Gore's team then persuaded the State Supreme Court to order a recount in specific counties but the US Supreme Court said that any recount had to be statewide. Apparently, by that time it had become too late to undertake that.I have always found that strange given that the inauguration was not due until 20th January. True there were Electoral College dealines imminent, but under such exceptional circumstances surely some flexibility would have been appropriate in the greater interests of democracy.
  • Options

I know he is a bit young but he looks older than he is
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

JACK_W said:

The BBC must have said it very quietly if he has not been laid off the boards on Betfair.
    This from the "Daily Mail" among many indicating the same :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8881815/Marcus-Rashford-set-miss-BBCs-Sports-Personality-Year-shortlist.html

I think a "special award" is likely as has happened in the past.
  • Options

Off topic, my sense is the economy is turning a corner.

Virutally everyone I speak to is *much* busier than they were in October (myself included) so I'm starting to buy FTSE250 funds again, which look cheap.

Whilst I share you optimism I do worry that it might not pass, IDS and plenty of ERGers are making plenty of noise about rejecting any compromise.
    I think it will. I think the irreconcilables will number about 30-40 MPs, not well over a hundred, and most ERG trust Frost and Boris that the battles have been well fought unlike Robbins and May.

I think Boris can count on at least 320 votes, which should be enough for it to pass easily with opposition abstentions.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    RobD said:

RobD said:

He's not dumb. And he does have a point. Public-facing workers are both very vulnerable and are likely to pass it on if they catch it.

• Options
    edited November 2020

I don’t think it has been fully appreciated yet just how much damage the GOP has done to itself over the last couple of weeks. Its failure to stand up for democracy will not easily be forgotten or forgiven.

Romney, of course, the most notable exception.
This discussion has been closed.